Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 9  (Read 1253 times)

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 9
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:28:25 AM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA vs Megamari- Title Theme - Hits a lot of good feelings - it's playful, yet intense at points.  Nice title theme
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation - The latter is nice in-game, and the former...just feels...somehow like it's trying too hard? 
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure - OH GOD THE RAP.  Take it out, and it would be close - the latter is really good, though
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past) - Ah, this is a good vocal.  I do love those.  The latter feels like standard Zelda

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme - Wow...this song is awesome
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza - Yeah...Pokemon music I keep finding myself liking less and less.  Also, MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
  Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm - This is one of the better XBC songs, but...man, Last Surprise.  It is awesome.  Probably my favourite Persona battle theme?  I'd put Light the Fire Up in the Night 2nd. 
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle - Both decent, former is more...stable?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 06:22:26 AM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA vs Megamari- Title Theme
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure: Cute, and not actively unpleasant to listen to like the other song.
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past): Other song isn't really my thing, so I'm free to shill for my own nom.

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme: ... Well this just further cements my need to play this game. That was beautiful.
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza: If this was the original moon theme, it would be very close, but I'm actually not really a fan of the remastered version. Plus, own nom shilling.
Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm: Mechanical Rhythm isn't my favorite of the XBC battle themes, while Last Surprise IS my favorite Persona battle theme. Both very good though.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle: Didn't really get much from the GG song, but it wasn't bad.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »
Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme: ... Well this just further cements my need to play this game. That was beautiful.

MWAhahahahahaha it's workiiinggggggg!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure - the ace combat track had rap?  go figure, I barely noticed.  That said it still kind of loses it at points so...
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past)

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme - SMG track wasn't what I expected but I expected more.
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza - Well this is a stomp.
Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm - Not sure I'd call the XBC track excellent, but man Last Surprise is something that would wear out on me quickly.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle - Still not particularly awed by Awe of She but it's good enough to beat that other thing.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA vs Megamari- Title Theme - This one is actually hard, I like them both a lot.
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation - Yeah, the overall better song, though not a big fan of it either.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure - I guess
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past) - I guess. Kinda only enthused about the first match thus far

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme - This one's nice enough
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza - Yeah, original moon theme would win. Not as big a fan of the remastered.
Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm - Everyone saw this coming.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle  - A music tournament mainstay, I feel. Hasn't Awe of She been in most of them thus far? Good song anyway.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA vs Megamari- Title Theme  The loop is under a minute long yet it's catchy enough for me to sit at the title screen moving the cursor in time with the melody.  Hee, hee, hee.
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation  A decent two minute listen.  Other track feels plain.  Easy choice.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure  Yergh, that rap isn't doing it for me.  Already used my one Ace Combat pity vote several weeks ago.  Other piece is fun enough 8-bit chiptune, can see why it made it into Rockman 4: Minus Infinity.
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past)  Pleasant sounding vocal theme, good enough.  Other theme I did picture a desert despite having never played the game so it succeeds there but still doesn't have that spark to win my vote.

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme  Not sure what it's trying to do though I find myself liking the mysterious quality anyways.  Bowser Battle felt unexpected for a Mario game, branching out?  Dummo, didn't make much of an impression beyond "this doesn't sound like Mario music".
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza  Rayquaza wasn't as bland as I presumed it would be.  Still, moon theme lives up to the online hype so easy choice.  I've actually heard this arrangement before at a dance of all places.
  Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm  We could have a mini-tourney with nothing but Persona, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Dark Souls series tracks, whew.  Getting back on track, Last Surprise is quite different from my preconceived notions of what a battle theme sounds like.  Not sure if I like it or not but I give it props for defying convention.  Mechanical Rhythm comes off as a mechanical metal piece in a crowded genre.  So I'll give my vote to the one that feels weird.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle   Awe of She came of as "yet another jamming track" to me.  Decent for the genre but it's a genre I find saturated.  Event Battle?  OK, don't think it's much better but it does more interesting things with the electronica and synth.

Favorite "new" piece: City of Tears
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:00:15 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure: I'm amused I recognize the latter from romhacks.  Though next tournament I will be nomming the lyricless version of Gotta Stay Fly.
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past)

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza
Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 02:12:09 AM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA vs Megamari- Title Theme - I gotta say, hymmnos (or whatever it is in nosurge if it's technically different) got entirely too complicated as the series went.  Protecta gets better once it settles down into regular japanese mind. Megamari's title track is riffing super hard on MM2.  Which uh... ain't no insult.  Loops faster though which is sorta a problem... i dunno. 
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation -  Mmm.  I like the Sun/Moon theme more at first blush but Galaxy Public is growing on me quickly.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure - Oh my. 
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past) - Mm.  Gentle Hands isn't exceptional, but quite competent at what it's doing.  Lanayru doesn't speak to me at all though.

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme - The way Bowser's theme ramps up is pretty nice, but City of Tears is definitely more attention grabbing from the outset and never really lets up.
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza - Always had a soft spot for the Gen 3 legendary theme.  Moon Theme never quite stick the landing.
  Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm - Ah, the Arksys Theme of Xenoblade music.  Weirdly P5 has been one giant miss after another musically for me?  I dunno what it is.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle - The Legend Returns?
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 12:23:37 AM »
A lot of the AT3 / AN tracks have felt a little disappointing compared to the AT1 & AT2 tracks, but this one was pretty awesome.  Megamari was nicely catchy though, I liked it a good deal and would probably beat the below two.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure
Shockingly fun.  Really has the Link's Awakening vibes, checking the Wikipedia page.
Maybe "Engrish" would be more accurate, but still good times.  Lanaryu Desert is nice atmospheric work which I appreciate, just not quite enough.

Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza

Last Surprise is great fun and holds up very well on repeat listens, which is good because P5 is a 100+ hour game or something ridiculous.  Mechanical Rhythym is solid though.  (Incidentally, did anyone nom Unfinished Battle from XBC, what YT suggested as the next track?  That one is really great.)
Not a huge fan of the TMS track (there IS a TMS track I remember being really catchy from my perusal of the soundtrack, but it was...  the opening?  I should double-check.), but I actively dislike Awe of She, or at least I did in the previous tournies.  Let's give it another listen and see if that's changed!
Not really.  Oh well.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 12:29:07 AM »

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure
Shockingly fun.  Really has the Link's Awakening vibes, checking the Wikipedia page.

For anyone who hasn't checked that game out, there is a full translation of the ROM available. The English title is "For the Frog the Bell Tolls." Link's Awakening featured a character (Richard) from the game and also used his theme song. If you remember, LA had references to a lot of different Nintendo titles and that was one of them.

I highly recommend the game, though it is understandably dated. It's a fun platformer/puzzle/adventure game hybrid featuring animal transformations as the main mechanic.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:30:57 AM by jsh357 »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA vs Megamari- Title Theme: Pretty groovy once it gets going.
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation: Sure.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure: I liked the other Ace Combat themes. This one started out nice! And then...and then it got dumb in a way that made me smile anyway.
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past): Decent enough.

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme: Wasn't entirely expecting orchestra drama for a Mario boss, but it works.
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza: Was a coinflip, (Duck)tails lost it.
Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm: Surprise, Cid prefers the metal.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle: Awe of She is one of my favoritest pieces of noise--assuming we're talking about the original, GGX version. GGXX version doesn't have the same kick. Lacks the intro, less nuanced instrumentation. Not bad, just something's missing. So Event Battle's good enough here, I suppose.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA vs Megamari- Title Theme - Megamari's Megaman 2 remix takes it. Not much to say here.
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation - I really like the slow pace of the RG track.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure - I wasn't a fan of the Prince's Adventure in Rockman Minus Infinity and I don't like it any more here, but it's still way better than the other track.
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English) vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past) - Both are okayish to me, but I think I like the general style of Gentle Hands more. It fits the name of the track, y'know?

Hollow Knight- City of Tears vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme - Meh.
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza - Moon theme is really that good.
  Persona 5- Last Surprise vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm - Meh. I've been unimpressed by the Persona 5 music I've seen. Much like the plot bits I've seen of P5, the whole 'kids rebel against corrupt institutions/adults' thing is so tired.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle - Tough draw.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »

Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza: Moon Theme completely lived up to the hype for me, it's a stellar piece of music. Pokemon legendary themes I find rather consistently mediocre, like it's trying to go for something awe-inspiring and myserious but just leaves me bored kinda like most pokemon legendaries themselves.
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle: Awe of She is kind of a blast from the past; it's a track I loved circa 2001 or so. It still holds up well enough even though I've heard other tracks do that style better for sure. This particular TMS track is... okay, but spends a lot of time not doing much.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA  vs  Megamari- Title Theme
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense  vs  Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly  vs   Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English)  vs  The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past)

Hollow Knight- City of Tears  vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme  vs  Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza
Persona 5- Last Surprise  vs  Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She  vs   Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »
Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star- CIEL_N_PROTECTA- iiiii vs Megamari- Title Theme - iiiiiiiii
Pokémon Sun/Moon- League Title Defense- iii vs Rogue Galaxy- The Galaxy Public Corporation - iiiiiiiiiii
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon- Gotta Stay Fly- iiiii vs  Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru- The Prince’s Adventure - iiiiiiiii
.hack//GU Vol 1- Gentle Hands (English)- iiiiiiiiiiii vs The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword- Lanayru Desert (Past) - ii

Hollow Knight- City of Tears- iiiiiiiiiiii vs Super Mario Galaxy- Bowser Battle Theme - i
Ducktales Remastered- Moon Theme- iiiiiiiiiii vs Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire- Battle! Rayquaza - iiii
  Persona 5- Last Surprise- iiiiii vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Mechanical Rhythm - iiiiiiii
Guilty Gear XX- Awe of She- iiiiiiii vs  Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE- Event Battle - iiiiiii
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.