imageRegister

Author Topic: AGMT: R1, Pool 13  (Read 2569 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: AGMT: R1, Pool 13
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »
BenCousins - Metal Gear Solid 2 BigShellWestBristol OC ReMix (Metal Gear Solid 2) vs Brunzolaitis - We're Starfox (Starfox)
I'd have voted for the Starfox track, but...  they talk.  Why do they talk?!

Thanatos - Megumeru (HN's Earlytimes Remix) (CLANNAD) vs The King of Fighters '99 Arrange Soundtrack - 176th Street (The King of Fighters '99)
That MGS2 piece does not deserve two wins, but damn is this match a fail off.

Fragile Online - Tomboyish Daughter got the Blues (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) vs Azupiano - Grand Silent (Final Fantasy 7)
This pool isn't really doing so hot so far.

Arc the Lad Piano Album - Theme of Arc the Lad (Arc the Lad) vs Squaredance - Cecil's Jinn and Juice (Final Fantasy IV)
Probably the best piece in the pool so far.

VP1 Voice Mix - Fantasy Left from Ancient Eternity ~ A Hollow Heart (Valkyrie Profile) vs Beatmario, myu314 - Re: The title lies in ... you (Shoot the Bullet)
The VP1 Mix is just another mix where you have something really similar to the original with random voices overtop.  Pretty much an instant win for it's opposition.

Hyadain  - The World Warrior (Street Fighter) vs S.S.H - Holy Orders: Be Just Or Be Dead (Guilty Gear series)
And here I thought this was going to be a fight.  What happened to Holy Orders, and what song is this that showed up in it's place?

housethegrate - Waltz of the Dolls (Final Fantasy 4) vs Ogre ~GRAND REPEAT~ - Fight it out! (Ogre Battle)
More my style of music.

LukarDow - Rising Sun (Seiken Densetsu) vs K-Waves Lab - Termina Home (Chrono Cross)
Makes me more nostalgic for the game of origin.  Either way...  uh...  two and a half good pieces of music this pool.  At least they weren't facing each other.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:17:04 PM »
I agree with Excal, the quality is waaaaaay off for this pod.  I never did like those remixes inexplicably done often in Japan with the "random people talking it out over a song," and... yeah, this pod has a lot of that.

BenCousins - Metal Gear Solid 2 BigShellWestBristol OC ReMix (Metal Gear Solid 2) vs Brunzolaitis - We're Starfox (Starfox)
STOP TALKING.  MGS2 piece is passable.
Thanatos - Megumeru (HN's Earlytimes Remix) (CLANNAD) vs The King of Fighters '99 Arrange Soundtrack - 176th Street (The King of Fighters '99)
Fail-off.
Fragile Online - Tomboyish Daughter got the Blues (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) vs Azupiano - Grand Silent (Final Fantasy 7)
I'm not sure what the Tomboyish Daughter track was trying to accomplish, but it didn't work.  Grand Silent is meh but passable.
Arc the Lad Piano Album - Theme of Arc the Lad (Arc the Lad) vs Squaredance - Cecil's Jinn and Juice (Final Fantasy IV)
Uh, tricky.  These two pieces are both authentically good, at least.  Not a fan of the original FF3 music being remixed, but it's weird and interesting.  Arc the Lad is pretty but a bit boring.
VP1 Voice Mix - Fantasy Left from Ancient Eternity ~ A Hollow Heart (Valkyrie Profile) vs Beatmario, myu314 - Re: The title lies in ... you (Shoot the Bullet)
Massive fail-off.  I would vote for Cucumber Beer over A Hollow Heart - it isn't even humorously bad.  It takes one of the meher pieces of the VP soundtrack and does nothing with it, then tosses in random voices. What's the appeal?  (Maybe the lyrics are really interesting, I dunno.)
Hyadain  - The World Warrior (Street Fighter) vs S.S.H - Holy Orders: Be Just Or Be Dead (Guilty Gear series)
Not a fan of either.
housethegrate - Waltz of the Dolls (Final Fantasy 4) vs Ogre ~GRAND REPEAT~ - Fight it out! (Ogre Battle)
Fight it out could have been good, but it seems short and unfulfilled.  Waltz is decent.
LukarDow - Rising Sun (Seiken Densetsu) vs K-Waves Lab - Termina Home (Chrono Cross)
I've heard much better remixes of Rising Sun, though that one is okay.  Termina Home is also okay.  Coinflip.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 08:50:08 PM »
BenCousins - Metal Gear Solid 2 BigShellWestBristol OC ReMix (Metal Gear Solid 2) vs Brunzolaitis - We're Starfox (Starfox) - Wow, I really dig that Metal Gear Solid track. Very nice. It's certainly enough to beat barrel rolls.
Thanatos - Megumeru (HN's Earlytimes Remix) (CLANNAD) vs The King of Fighters '99 Arrange Soundtrack - 176th Street (The King of Fighters '99) - ...meh
Fragile Online - Tomboyish Daughter got the Blues (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) vs Azupiano - Grand Silent (Final Fantasy 7) - I don't have to understand Japanese to know that the guy in Tomboyish Daughter cannot sing worth a damn.
Arc the Lad Piano Album - Theme of Arc the Lad (Arc the Lad) vs Squaredance - Cecil's Jinn and Juice (Final Fantasy IV) - Oddly catchy.

VP1 Voice Mix - Fantasy Left from Ancient Eternity ~ A Hollow Heart (Valkyrie Profile) vs Beatmario, myu314 - Re: The title lies in ... you (Shoot the Bullet) - God, those voices in the VP remix are annoying. At least the guy in the other remix was actually, you know, singing instead of just spouting random lines for no reason.
Hyadain  - The World Warrior (Street Fighter) vs S.S.H - Holy Orders: Be Just Or Be Dead (Guilty Gear series) - World Warrior is Hyadain's best standalone song, in my opinion. Even if you've never seen the video, the song is still catchy as hell. Having said that, Holy Order is pretty good...but not quite good enough, methinks.
housethegrate - Waltz of the Dolls (Final Fantasy 4) vs Ogre ~GRAND REPEAT~ - Fight it out! (Ogre Battle) - Good match between two solid but unspectacular tracks. Won't be disappointed either way.
LukarDow - Rising Sun (Seiken Densetsu) vs K-Waves Lab - Termina Home (Chrono Cross) - Odd track to try to remix, but hey, it works.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:32:37 AM »
Extending the deadline for these pools by 72 hours due to Putfile issues lately.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »
-- Well, We're Starfox is amusing at least?  Needs better bass synth though.

-- I guess.

-- I guess.

-- Squaredance song was better than I expected, though!

-- Better.

-- Sure.

-- Sure.

-- Termina Home was all right, too.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »
BenCousins - Metal Gear Solid 2 BigShellWestBristol OC ReMix (Metal Gear Solid 2) vs Brunzolaitis - We're Starfox (Starfox) - Ayup. 

Thanatos - Megumeru (HN's Earlytimes Remix) (CLANNAD) vs The King of Fighters '99 Arrange Soundtrack - 176th Street (The King of Fighters '99) - Genre bias.

Fragile Online - Tomboyish Daughter got the Blues (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) vs Azupiano - Grand Silent (Final Fantasy 7) - Good grief.

Arc the Lad Piano Album - Theme of Arc the Lad (Arc the Lad) vs Squaredance - Cecil's Jinn and Juice (Final Fantasy IV) - Ah, here's a good match.  Fine going either way, voting for the one with the source I like better I guess.

VP1 Voice Mix - Fantasy Left from Ancient Eternity ~ A Hollow Heart (Valkyrie Profile) vs Beatmario, myu314 - Re: The title lies in ... you (Shoot the Bullet) - These matches don't deserve comments longer than a few words.

Hyadain  - The World Warrior (Street Fighter) vs S.S.H - Holy Orders: Be Just Or Be Dead (Guilty Gear series) - Strangely catchy, I dig it.

housethegrate - Waltz of the Dolls (Final Fantasy 4) vs Ogre ~GRAND REPEAT~ - Fight it out! (Ogre Battle) - Source bias.

LukarDow - Rising Sun (Seiken Densetsu) vs K-Waves Lab - Termina Home (Chrono Cross) - Quite pretty vs pretty but pretty because the source was good and it seems barely remixed.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »
BenCousins - Metal Gear Solid 2 BigShellWestBristol OC ReMix (Metal Gear Solid 2) vs Brunzolaitis - We're Starfox (Starfox) - I admit, the Starfox one made me laugh, but musically it's really bad. >_>
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:04:53 AM by Yakumo »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 03:22:56 AM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:40:46 AM »
Big Shell West Bristol vs We're Starfox - And with an extremly promising start here we have two of the most atrocious tracks in the tournament. Going with the one which doesn't feature HIDEOUSLY GODAWFUL SINGING and is more all-around bad.
Megumeru (HN's Earlytimes Remix) vs 176th Street - No rest for the weary as we charge straight into two more glistening examples of mehishnessery.
Tomboyish Daughter got the Blues vs Grand Silent - Freaking. God. Why. Why. Why. But wait! WHAT LIGHT THROUGH DOTH YONDER WINDOW BREAKS! IT IS GRAND SILENT HERE TO SAVE THE DAY WITH ITS INEFFABLE AWESOMENESS! THE ROUND IS SAVED!!!
Theme of Arc the Lad vs Cecil's Jinn and Juice - Perhaps the round wasn't so much saved as just given temporary respite? At least these two aren't headdeskingly bad. But they're STILL BAD.
Fantasy Left from Ancient Eternity ~ A Hollow Heart vs Re: The title lies in ... you - It continues! This state of affairs would be vaguely impressive if it wasn't so aggravating. And Hyadain's up next...
The World Warrior vs Holy Orders: Be Just Or Be Dead - GO AWAY HYADAIN ssh meanwhile is fine as usual, another rest break
Waltz of the Dolls vs Fight it out! - GO AWAY CALCOBRENA
Rising Sun vs Termina Home - I like Rising Sun generally, but this version just isn't beautiful enough to expunge the memories of the previous tracks. That being said, it's still better than Termina, so maybe I'll be in a better mood next time around due to having to listen to less garbage.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:44:57 PM »
BenCousins - Metal Gear Solid 2 BigShellWestBristol OC ReMix (Metal Gear Solid 2) vs Brunzolaitis - We're Starfox (Starfox): Doesn't do barrel rolls.
Thanatos - Megumeru (HN's Earlytimes Remix) (CLANNAD) vs The King of Fighters '99 Arrange Soundtrack - 176th Street (The King of Fighters '99): Meh.
Fragile Online - Tomboyish Daughter got the Blues (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) vs Azupiano - Grand Silent (Final Fantasy 7): Good grief.
Arc the Lad Piano Album - Theme of Arc the Lad (Arc the Lad) vs Squaredance - Cecil's Jinn and Juice (Final Fantasy IV): Eh.
VP1 Voice Mix - Fantasy Left from Ancient Eternity ~ A Hollow Heart (Valkyrie Profile) vs Beatmario, myu314 - Re: The title lies in ... you (Shoot the Bullet): *yawn*
Hyadain  - The World Warrior (Street Fighter) vs S.S.H - Holy Orders: Be Just Or Be Dead (Guilty Gear series): Oh, getting a bit better.
housethegrate - Waltz of the Dolls (Final Fantasy 4) vs Ogre ~GRAND REPEAT~ - Fight it out! (Ogre Battle): Or not.
LukarDow - Rising Sun (Seiken Densetsu) vs K-Waves Lab - Termina Home (Chrono Cross): Hey, a good track to close the pool. Let's go with that.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »
Results.

BenCousins - Metal Gear Solid 2 BigShellWestBristol OC ReMix (Metal Gear Solid 2) 8
Brunzolaitis - We're Starfox (Starfox) 1

Thanatos - Megumeru (HN's Earlytimes Remix) (CLANNAD) 4
The King of Fighters '99 Arrange Soundtrack - 176th Street (The King of Fighters '99) 5

Fragile Online - Tomboyish Daughter got the Blues (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) 0
Azupiano - Grand Silent (Final Fantasy 7) 9

Arc the Lad Piano Album - Theme of Arc the Lad (Arc the Lad) 5
Squaredance - Cecil's Jinn and Juice (Final Fantasy IV) 4

VP1 Voice Mix - Fantasy Left from Ancient Eternity ~ A Hollow Heart (Valkyrie Profile) 1
Beatmario, myu314 - Re: The title lies in ... you (Shoot the Bullet) 8

Hyadain  - The World Warrior (Street Fighter) 3
S.S.H - Holy Orders: Be Just Or Be Dead (Guilty Gear series) 6

housethegrate - Waltz of the Dolls (Final Fantasy 4) 4
Ogre ~GRAND REPEAT~ - Fight it out! (Ogre Battle) 5

LukarDow - Rising Sun (Seiken Densetsu) 5
K-Waves Lab - Termina Home (Chrono Cross) 4