Register

Author Topic: AGMT: R1, Pool 7  (Read 2961 times)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: AGMT: R1, Pool 7
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:48:02 PM »
Oh, nice, and I just got finished with the last pool.

Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears) - Shnab's kinda hit or miss, this one is miss.  Fighting Priest is awesome.

Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4) - Good comedy song!  Is the opposition actually good enough to warrant support?  No?  Okay then.

Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou) - Please let the Terranigma be good... okay, it is.  Good enough for autovote... no.  That means I have to actually compare them.  ... god help us all.  I think the abomination wins.

Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) vs Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure) - Eh.

kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom) - Why am I voting IOSYS again.  Ah right, it is because this is back from when they actually made decent music, and the town theme's apathy inducing.

Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5) - Goodish match.  Wily relies on the original for all of its punch though.  Mazedude is aMAZEing geddit hahahaha.

Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou) - Oh thank god.  Or thank Reuben Kee.  If I had to vote IOSYS three times in one pool I'd kill someone.

Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1)  - Both mix in pretty much the same style (well, one rock, one not, but the effect on the original's roughly the same).  Parasprinter does it much better.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:08:26 PM by Sir Alex »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:07:51 PM »
Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears) - Slaughter.

Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4) - Not feeling the joke track love today.

Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou) - The Terranigma piece is nice and relaxing, but god does it drag on for way too long.  Still, as I said above, not feeling the joke track love today.

Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) vs Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure) - Meh.

kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom) - Has quality, even if it's boring.  Border of Death, meanwhile, borders on being shit.

Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5) - Not at all close

Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou) - Good lord this would be a slaughter even if I did feel the joke track love.

Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1) - Think Parasprinter came off slightly better overall.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:51:18 AM »
Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears) - Behold the Winged Cathedral is one of those songs where you have to listen to it a couple times to let it grow on you. I actually didn't care for it the first time I heard it either. The more I heard it, though, the more I liked all the quirky sounds and instrumentations. It sounds chaotic, yes, but it's a controlled chaos; every sound effect is there for a reason. It's a shame, but I'm expecting it to lose here simply because it's not going to have time to grow on people. So it goes.
Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4) - Champ. Champ.
Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou) - Oh my God. Boring beyond all reason vs. Annoying beyond all reason. Do I have to vote? Do I? Yes? Crap. Okay. Boring it is.
Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) vs Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure) - Oh, and here comes the awesome Hot Pink to save the day. Phew. Well, either way, I predict a slaughter of some sort next round.

kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom) - My irrational love for simple piano pieces strikes again! Also doesn't really help that the opposition is ass. Are there any good Perfect Cherry Blossom remixes? Seriously. It seems like all the PCB remixes I've heard in this competition so far have either been dull or actively bad.
Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5) - I see Mazedude has recycled a couple sound effects from Zombie Lounger. Still not a bad track, though.
Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou) - Wait, what? Pretty piano versus annoying IOSYS? Didn't I just do this?
Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1) - Rawk. Temple of Chaos is also too short for my liking.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:31:44 AM by Lance »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 02:12:39 AM »
Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears): Nice interpretation of one of the XG OST's best melodies. And the Castlevania track is just a mess.
Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4): I admit it, I laughed at the Quest track. DS4 song gets into a nice groove midway through, though.
Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou): I actually like Maris Stole the Precious Thing. I only wish I could explain why (actually, I'd guess it has a lot to do with the silly video). Terranigma track is a very nice mellow piece, though.
Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) vs Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure): Both are good, but I am digging the mellow tracks today.
kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom): Doesn't sound like it's trying to be Evanescence.
Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5): Yeah, pretty sure this is the best track in this pool.
Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou): NO. MORE. IOSYS.
Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1): Parasprinter rocks once it gets going, but the opening reminds me waaay too much of that quiet bit in every eighties action movie where the hero stares pensively at the horizon in between scenes of killing people. It's still a good song, but I don't mind voting for the underdog.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 03:23:59 AM »
Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears)
Takes one of my favourite pieces of XG music and makes it better.

Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4)
Not a bad piece, which puts it one up over the MQ piece which felt full of dissonanace.

Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou)
The Terranigma piece is oddly good for a Terranigma remix, and the IOSYS piece gives me a headache.

Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) vs Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure)
That is an odd take on Castle Figaro, but not a displeasing one.

kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom)
Way, way too much Touhou music in this thing, and most of it is not that good.  Meanwhile, the FF1 town music is always enjoyable, and a simple piano remix of it flatters the basic composition.

Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5)
Don't see a whole lot in C. Keen, while the Wily stuff is at least nice, even if it isn't MM2 Wily.

Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou)
Possibly the best of the IOSYS tunes, it's up against something I nommed, and hence this is a slaughter.

Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1)
Parasprinter is also pretty high up on my list of music to listen to, so I'm partial either way.  Just, I like Chaos Temple more, so it gets my vote.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:23 AM »
Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears)
Match of underwhelmingness.  I like the XG original here a lot better than the remix.  On the other hand, despite giving it a second listen, Harmony of Dissonance piece, uh, lives up to its name.  It's very confused.  I don't like either, so I'm going to punish the one that wastes its source material.
Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4)
Haha.  Still not quite good enough here.  Shame, because the opposition is only okay, and a really good and hilarious remix of FFMQ would totally take this considering the strong source material.
Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou)
Boring > Annoying.
Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) vs Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure)
Good match, both could easily beat up a lot of the earlier pool entries.
kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom)
Hey, I like Evanescence.  But yeah, Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away is Evanescence minus minus minus, with an uneven beginning that gets repetitive toward the end.  On the other hand the Town Theme is just too damn subtle for its own good and slides into "boring."  Man, a match of wasted potential.  I'll ever so slightly give the nod to the active track.
Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5)
I like the MM3 track - good souce material, good remix.  Only problem : just kind of fades out and wanders off in last minute.  The Keene piece is catchy, but not quite good enough here.
Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou)
HORRIFIC SLAUGHTER. Ryu isn't even that great but it's better than the Terranigma track that faced bad Touhou before.  Man, Touhou had a great start this contest I thought, but it's reverted to the mean.
Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1)
Hey, another non-Black Mages, non-Creid, genuinely independent remix I'd heard before in Kaijin's Chaos Temple!  Hurray.  Shame it didn't try to do a little bit more, though.  The NG piece is alright.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 03:31:26 PM »
Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears): The Fighting Priest leaves no impression. I'm not sure WHAT to think of Winged Cathedral, but I'm willing to give it another shot on the grounds of being much more interesting.
Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4): Is, you know, good.
Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou): :psyduck: Y...yes, I think the Terranigma piece is -that- boring.
Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) vs Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure): What is it with this pool and dreadfully boring tracks?
kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom): Keeps me awake.
Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5): Overwhelming apathy. I guess Metal doesn't completely fall apart as it goes on.
Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou): Seconding Alex.
Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1): And another easy win over a track that induces extreme apathy. It's over, finally.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:53:23 AM »
Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) vs Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears) - Not as good as the original, but the first one is just a mess.
Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4) - oh god my ears are bleeding make it stop
Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou) - Doesn't know when to end, but beats a comedy song.
Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou) - Not a huge fan of joke tracks, if you hadn't noticed. <_<

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 04:41:56 AM »
-- I guess.

-- I thought the Mystic Quest track was entertaining actually.  But far be it for me to pass up a chance to hype LukarDow.

-- I'm a fan of the original track, and this is a solid remix.  For the record, I actually like Marisa Stole the Precious Thing.  >.>

-- I guess.

-- Nice.  I kind of like the IOSYS track though.

-- I guess.

-- Sure, I can go with that.

-- Seemed like it should be longer, but oh well.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:06:12 AM by Talaysen »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 06:09:04 AM »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 02:02:46 AM »

Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) vs Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4)- Not that putrid FFMQ track.
Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) vs IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou)- Not ear splittingly awful.
kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) vs IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom)- Linkin Park Touhou? I have to vote for this. The FF1 track's boring as well.
Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) vs Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5)- ONE. SIDED.
Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) vs IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou)- EW. Slaughter.
Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) vs Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1)- Decent versus awesome.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 02:41:37 PM »
Behold the Winged Cathedral vs The Fighting Priest - Fighting was pretty dandy until halfway where it decided it needed more energy for deluded reasons. Cathedral meanwhile is semi-actively annoying in general.
Homestar's Mystic Quest vs Ending - Oooh, Ending is pretty. I don't like to vote against MQ but what can I do.
At The World's End vs Marisa Stole the Precious Thing - World's End is also very nice. Marisa is not.
The Hot Pink of Blues vs Starbound - Theme of Dream Warrior - Doesn't outstay its welcome by 5 minutes.
Town Theme Piano Arrangement vs Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death - Well, Bewildering is better than the earlier IOSYS track. But better than Simple Joys? Ahahano.
MM3 Wily Metal vs Slick Rippin' Keen - These are both nice, but Slick is a touch more stylish and has more energy.
Ryu for Four Pianos vs Neko Miko Reimu - Hm, Ryu crowds itself out a little. It also doesn't help that the track it's based on isn't particularly good. But still, it's enough against IOSYS.
Ninjascape vs A Temple of Chaos - Both nice. Going with Ninja for not being so short.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »
Results.

Shnabubula - Behold the Winged Cathedral (Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance) IIII
Time & Space: A Tribute to Yasunori Mitsuda - The Fighting Priest (Xenogears) IIIII III

Misstik Kwest - Homestar's Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) II
Dragon Slayer 4 Arrange Album - Ending (Dragon Slayer 4) IIIII IIIII

Benefit of the Boomerang - At The World's End (Terranigma) IIIII IIIII
IOSYS - Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (Touhou) II

Prince of Darkness - The Hot Pink of Blues (Final Fantasy 6) IIIII I (tiebreak)
Rise of the Star(OCRemix album) - Starbound ~ Theme of Dream Warrior (Kirby's Adventure) IIIII I

kLuTzMusic - Town Theme Piano Arrangement (Final Fantasy 1) IIIII I (tiebreak)
IOSYS - Bewildering Impending Spiriting Away ~ Border of Death (Perfect Cherry Blossom) IIIII I

Gux - MM3 Wily Metal Oc remix (Megaman 3) IIIII II
Mazedude Productions - Slick Rippin' Keen (Commander Keen 5) IIIII

Reuben Kee - Ryu for Four Pianos (Street Fighter 2) IIIII IIIII II
IOSYS - Neko Miko Reimu (Touhou)

Ninjascape - The Parasprinter (Ninja Gaiden 2) IIIII II
Kaijin - A Temple of Chaos (Final Fantasy 1) IIIII
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!