Register

Author Topic: Record Keeping Final Fantasy Record Keeper  (Read 149306 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: Record Keeping Final Fantasy Record Keeper
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2015, 12:37:56 AM »
Also, why does Terra get a water Soul Break? You'd think it could be any number of things, but water? Why? Why can't that be Strago's? (Aside from the image of Strago in a bustier)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2015, 01:00:33 AM »
Meeple can correct me, but IIRC, Flood was one of Terra's stupidly-overpowered moves in Dissidia. So for whatever reason, she's just associated with powerful elemental magic of all elements in Square-Enix's memory.

Also, Strago -does- get a water-themed Soul Break.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2015, 01:08:24 AM »
Also, why does Terra get a water Soul Break? You'd think it could be any number of things, but water? Why? Why can't that be Strago's? (Aside from the image of Strago in a bustier)

Flood is a move of hers in Dissidia and FFRK borrows stuff from it at times. One of Tifa's future SBs (Burning Arrow, IIRC) comes from it, Sephiroth's SBs are largely Dissidia-based (even his default!). Strago gets Aqua Breath as his relic Soul Break anyway, so yeah.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2015, 01:21:10 AM »
Also Terra's Super Soul Break weapon is Maduin's Horn, which is a Dissidia original.

I think Dissidia's the only place where Kain has ever used Lancet before, for that matter.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2015, 02:54:34 AM »
Just confirming that Flood is indeed one of Terra's HP Attacks in Dissidia, one of her default ones at that.  Why they chose Flood for one of Terra's Soul Breaks of all things, not sure; Meltdown and Tornado were the ones more commonly discussed after all.  Meltdown I guess wasn't used because they didn't want to give her a second Fire Soul Break, but that still leaves the question of why not Tornado? 

Also, yeah, I think Lancet on Kain is literally an RK thing, pretty much entirely because Kain has absolutely nothing else you could give him (well, some Duodecim stuff) and Lancet is a heavily Dragoon inspired move so "why not."
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2015, 05:07:11 AM »
Make sure you try out Strago's default SB, the animation's really cool.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2015, 05:48:45 AM »
Stuff

good job guys

It is worth sharing this kind of information because depending on what relics you get, it vastly changes how each of us plays the game. It is kind of the core of what makes gacha stuff interesting. Every time a player draws something new, that's a new resource added to a player's strategy set. What was once your optimal team build may have just changed drastically due to one or two new relics. This encourages trying out all kinds of different builds. And it's refreshing to see different strategies in play due to these options.

Case in point just from this discussion: snow and I don't have any MT healing Limit breaks, so our strategies don't involve Selphie in every party like most of Cap's. It also manifests itself in my having to use my summoned friend slot for MT healing while Scar or Cap would likely be able to use a completely different party build due to their access to different RW options like defense boosting or pure damage stuff.

So yeah, part of the appeal is epeen measuring I guess? But that's not the discussion we are having.

Disclaimer not intended to be some kind of indignant reply to the usual Grefter snark, I just like talking about game design and I think this aspect of gacha/collectable games gets overlooked a lot.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2015, 05:50:31 AM »
Esthar soldiers down. Was too drunk to beat it (and Come at me bro was a bad choice since Shotgun didn't trigger counters) last night but came back and wrecked the fight on my lunch break. Retroactively made me not regret getting R3 Quake. Party was

Terra (Thundaja, Quake)
Faris (Box Step, Tempt yo Furry)
Seph (Reta, Fweeb),
Yuna (Protectga, Curaja)
Aeris (Strongwater, Curaga).

Dualcast proccing twice on a quake usage was nice but unnecessary. Estar terminators got wrecked by Thundaja, and the others weren't all that threatening.

Gonna give Adel a shot this afternoon I suppose. Probably will go back for those Exp eggs and EDIT: Holy Major orb I missed too, then chip through the Garnet event until Midnight and the Saturday daily rolls around. Need ice orbs so bad.

EDIT: Yeaaaaaah Adel isn't happening. My physical setup is better than my magic setup, but I'm still getting overwhelmed. After the Saturday daily I should have Full Break (Even if I have to blow mythril to do it), I'll give it another swing then.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:42:10 AM by Makkotah »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Terra event cleared. Wrexsoul is kind of a pain, but at least you only have to smack the possessed PC instead of killing him/her to make it reappear. The possession gimmick also makes Reta-meta annoying (if he possesses the Retaliator, you have to wait until it runs out to get him off). Now, back to farming Dark Orbs and Tidus' RM2.

EDIT: I miss Grefter's rageposts after bad pulls.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:27:33 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
Terra event also cleared today. Cap-broken Terra is my new favorite darling. If only I had -her- SB relic instead of Edgar's and Locke's... sigh

FFI: Tiamat (86 stam)
FFV: Sandworm* (58), Cray Claw* (77), Adamantoise* (61), Archeoaevis* (81), Purobolos* (61)
FFVII: Mako Reactor I* (13 stam, I'm saving it for an emergency stamina refresh!)
FFVIII: Edea/Seifer (81)
FFX: Seymour1 (73), Seymour Natus (61)
FFXII: Demon Wall3* (61)

Dilemma: I'm currently sitting at 4 stamina shards w/ 7 stamina shards left on the board. This means I can do up to two more stamina refreshes before another dungeon update happens. Should I attempt to clear 5 more dungeons before Orbtoberfest happens so I can get a free stamina refresh during Orbtoberfest? Or should I just hold off on doing any more stamina shard dungeons until after Orbtoberfest is over so I can guarantee I'll have easy access to my FF7 stamina shard during the event? #firstrecordproblems

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »
Saving the refresh for Cloud's MC2 event may not be a bad idea, since it's a much shorter event than usual: ten dungeons instead of the usual 20, so you may be able to blow it out in a single refresh.

EDIT: Also, Terra is undoubtedly the -top- Black Mage in current meta now she's got her MC and will remain so until Rinoa gets her MC2. Best stat spread, great equipment draw, excellent skillset (Support 4 and WM3 make her very versatile at covering setup holes in any given team) and zero dependency on character relics for effective usage. Her SBs aren't very good, but that's a really minute part of her game. I'm definitely bringing her to my A-team lineup for mage meta for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:45:08 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2015, 01:09:25 PM »
I'm all for using abilities from Dissidia, so that puts that question to rest.
~~~
It is worth sharing this kind of information because depending on what relics you get, it vastly changes how each of us plays the game. It is kind of the core of what makes gacha stuff interesting. Every time a player draws something new, that's a new resource added to a player's strategy set. What was once your optimal team build may have just changed drastically due to one or two new relics. This encourages trying out all kinds of different builds. And it's refreshing to see different strategies in play due to these options.

Case in point just from this discussion: snow and I don't have any MT healing Limit breaks, so our strategies don't involve Selphie in every party like most of Cap's. It also manifests itself in my having to use my summoned friend slot for MT healing while Scar or Cap would likely be able to use a completely different party build due to their access to different RW options like defense boosting or pure damage stuff.

So yeah, part of the appeal is epeen measuring I guess? But that's not the discussion we are having.

Disclaimer not intended to be some kind of indignant reply to the usual Grefter snark, I just like talking about game design and I think this aspect of gacha/collectable games gets overlooked a lot.

This.

Especially if you just LIKE doing things randomly like I do, it's really refreshing. When I was getting crushed on bad draws, I looked at my shitty equipment, saw "Well, at least I have a nice bow" and sort of informed my entire strategy around that.
Zenny's most recently posted party has 3 mages.
Fanatic's most recent has 3 mages.
---we haven't posted our team dynamics in a few pages, but the 3 mages (Zenny had a party earlier with 4) isn't uncommon.

I run ONE. (Golbez could be a mage, but I don't USE him as a mage.)
One mage, and I usually make it someone I can stuff my bow on and run them as a hybrid ANYHOW. I have grindy fights against enemies that I win through attrition.
My cousin is a fucking luck box, and pulled TWO of Tellah's staff on the Tellah/Golbez event. So he gave one to each. He's got several other 5* weapons (more than me. :( ), so despite being way underleveled compared to me, completely unable to craft abilities or hone abilities like I have, and he doesn't have the best armor. So HE does everything as a glass canon. Spit everything he has at an enemy, take a roaming warrior that will inflict crazy damage, and just hope that he kills the enemy before he gets murdered.

There's something really cool about a game where you don't know how you're going to win, but you can still probably win.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »
Oh shit, DeNa translated the half-price, guaranteed character relic on 5* banner announcement. If they release it on the Orbfest, there goes my planning for Hope's banner. =(

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
Wait what?

Guaranteed relic?

My dreams have come true!

Anyways, Terra event beat for now.

Had to re-do the stooges stage, because I brought a real crap squad I was leveling up. Ah well.

Wreck it wrexsoul as well.

I was reminded of how annoying the dream stage was to me as a child. This was vindication. Plus I didn't even have to bring Cyan!

I am so behind on the dungeons. Gotta start doing those...
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2015, 02:27:36 PM »
Wait what?

Guaranteed relic?

Basically, it's a set of three banners that go for 25 Mythril/1500 gems for an 11-pull. If the pull procures 5* relics, they're guaranteed to be a character SB relic - any of them released so far. It was one of the special offers in the one-year anniversary celebration in Japan last month.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2015, 03:28:08 PM »
I'd put Ashe as at minimum the 1a to Terra's 1 at the moment. Stat spread is nearly identical, equips near identical (unless you are in the mnority that really like heavy armor), basically trades breakdowns for a clone of Vivi's default SB. I... suspect that I'm going to use Magick Lore more than breakdowns on Terra, personally.

Also that lucky draw makes me glad I have over 200 mythril stocked up.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2015, 03:40:57 PM »
I'd put Ashe as at minimum the 1a to Terra's 1 at the moment. Stat spread is nearly identical, equips near identical (unless you are in the mnority that really like heavy armor), basically trades breakdowns for a clone of Vivi's default SB. I... suspect that I'm going to use Magick Lore more than breakdowns on Terra, personally.

Also that lucky draw makes me glad I have over 200 mythril stocked up.

Ashe's case for tied-to-best is great, yeah. I do think the loss of 4 Support is relevant (I run mages a lot and I often want to slot in a third Breakdown), but her package is otherwise very complete as well.

I'm glad I have 100+ mythril right now, but man, missing out on those upcoming FF13/FF9/FF10 shinies if it comes this Sunday...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:42:52 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
Only 35 mithril.

Though I did read in japan, they gave out 25 mithril for this event for them.

If I can get 75 mithril, for 1 draw for each phase...I'd be happy.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2015, 04:06:24 PM »
I'm more likely to run 1 breakdown than 3, myself; break resistance is getting more and more common, which makes the math on armor/mental way less good. And Power Breakdown is fairly ineffecitive if you can't a boss below 346 atk. It was only an 11.6% reduction on Sanctuary Keeper's physicals, for instance.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
I NEEDED that 11.6% on Sanctuary Keeper even post-Sentinel and Protectga. Granted, Power Breakdown was the only one I brought there. In general, though, since I almost always bring Mental Breakdown for mage-boosting, I end up vying for all three when the boss mixes up his offense well. I don't ever use Armor Breakdown.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 16, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
Here's hoping they introduce item trading in the game at some point.

You are wasting relics if you have to combine then!

Or maybe your an asshole. Both work.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »
Welp. No FFVI weapons for me. Got a bunch of 3 star crap. So my favorite cast is probably gonna be on the bench for a good, long while. (Could see myself situationally using Terra instead of Golbez)

As for the event, currently out of stamina after fighting DOOM GAZE, who is surprisingly mean and really, REALLY likes opening with Death on the worst possible character to spend an entire fight dead.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
It's okay, most of the FF6 cast is pretty underwhelming in FFRK anyway (exceptions are Terra and arguably current Celes. Earlier Celes was just kinda terrible).

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
Mog will also be good when he finally gets his damned MC. Bulkiest healier by far and only 3 less mind at 65 than Garnet.