Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 11  (Read 1581 times)

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 11
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:06:21 AM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return: Kneejerk
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet: Fun bouncy atmosphere with good orchestral instrumentation, versus solo vocal piece with rather dark atmosphere. Personal tastes definitely tend towards the former.
Vanguard Bandits- Passion vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace: z e a l
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy: Other song was surprisingly cute and relaxing, but my personal tastes tend much towards the former.

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme: I actively dislike Protoman's Theme, so this is an easy vote for me.
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield: Much better than I was expecting. They both have very similar feels to them, and I like them about the same, so I'll give it to the more interesting one.
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania: Megalovania is a tough draw, but I actually really enjoyed the other song. Was neat.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme: Honestly just a quality preference here, I like the instrumentation in Peat's Theme.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:23:55 AM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return
Can you REALLY be queen of a color?  They're quite anti-authoritarian I hear, practically anarchists.
I dunno.  RH music is very well used in-game (ignoring that it's a tad OVERused for the length of the game), but this particular melancholy tune only works okay out of context, while Fire & Rose is pretty fun out of context.  Could easily go to either piece depending on what you want.
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet
Rough matchup for Egg Planet - oh wait, that's Gwyndolin, not Gwyn, Lord of Cinder.  Uhhh they're both okay?  Dunno.  I'll go for cheery over creepy today.

Vanguard Bandits- Passion vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace
In credit to Passion, the first 15 seconds of it are quite solid, which is good because you get to be INTIMATELY familiar with those 15 seconds in playing the game.  The rest of the track hardly matters as regular attacks almost never last that long, but it's nothing special.
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy
Own nom bias, although I do like Pride & Honor.  Is it just me or does it sound a lot like Radiant Dawn's The Devoted?

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme
BD music, basically the best.  It's a little backgroundy at times but with how long BD boss fights can last, that's fine, and the second minute is really awesome.
This was the ending theme, right?  It's pretty good for NES music, but tough draw.
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield
More own nom bias.  I was very impressed with all the battle tracks in Drakengard 3; they really sell anti-hero carnage and give it some weight.  This is a terrible spectacle of violence, and you should be awed and impressed and taken aback, rather than going for "OMG this is awesome & fun".  (Reminder for those that didn't play the game: similar to modern FE tracks, the piece switches from the instrumental first half into the vocal second half when activating Zero's devil trigger equivalent for some free dry-cleaning.)

Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania
Ah, this is a good match!  I might have considered Don't Wait Until Night in its Harmony of Despair version ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIq9ijjfIPY ), but not even sure then.  I'm skeptical of some of the Undertale music hype, but Megalovania is legit.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme
Well that wasn't what I expected out of Orange Juice at all.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:53:40 AM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return - not that hot on the first one, but it's not going to put me to sleep like Wind and Feathers.
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet - Is Egg Planet in smash 4? It sounds super familiar but I haven't played Galaxy
Vanguard Bandits- Passion vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace - most of Zeal is a good song, but that omnipresent warbling ringing noise in the background of it drives me nuts. Passion is solid enough
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy - This one is rough. I think I'll have to go with the good piano piece, but Pride and Honor would beat anything else in this half. Yeesh.

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme - Nostalgia vote, pure and simple
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield - no real comments, just like the Nier...er, Drakengard song more.
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania - Don't Wait Until Night is a pretty good song, though.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme - This is the actual reason to play Peat.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy

Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield - good question, drakengard 3 track w/vocals > star control 2 track > drakengard 3 track w/o vocals, coinflip says this though.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme - in it to win it
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:54:32 AM by Random Consonant »

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:36:55 AM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return - Meh.
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet - Meh x2. Not a group that gets much out of this so far.
Vanguard Bandits- Passion vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace - Mismatch.
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy - I'm not a big fan of Front Mission 4, but the OST has a few gems in it. Really, the sound direction works well for the game and feels like it fits, which is enough to take the win here.

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme - I like a few Bravely Default tracks but this isn't one of them.
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield - Still needs more Mycon.
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania - I like Castlevania music in general while I'm not the biggest fan of Undertale.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme - Tough draw, the other track's really good.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 02:47:12 AM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return: These were both pretty cool. I think the guitar solo clinches it, though.
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet: It was fun and about the kind of noise I needed this afternoon.
Vanguard Bandits- Passion vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace: At first I read that as Undersea Palace and said instant win, but I don't like this one quite as much.
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy: Pride and Honor is the high point of an otherwise distinctly okay soundtrack. It's great.

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme: Protoman theme is cute, but I think rawk is beating retro right now.
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield: Really not impressed by Drakengard 3 outside of the ending track.
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania: Megalovania's a rough draw. I can throw an underdog vote here.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme: You have shown me the ugliness of continued existence.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:20:32 PM by El Cideon »

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
Would I call the Star Control 2 tracks a remix, an arrange, a remaster, an update, or something else?  It's different from the OST of the original.  Is this what the Ur-quan Masters freeware release uses?

Lots of tracks I enjoyed in this pool.

Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return  Given my dislike of Jpop, I liked Fire and Rose more than I thought it would.  Enough that I would vote it over something bland or generic.  Wind and Feathers reminds me of Legend of Mana's Bejeweled City for some reason.  Just like it more plus my tendency to enjoy slower paced tracks.
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet  Listened to Moonlight Butterfly and actually enjoyed it.  It's haunting and gripping in a way I find appealing, a surprise given my weariness of Dark Soul soundtrack in genral.  Thought I had a winner but listening to the other piece, Egg Planet surpassed it for me.  Also, could the title be a subtle dig at Sonic's main villain?  Both come of as worthy winners for me though.
Vanguard Bandits- Passion vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace  Zeal Palace is atmospheric, creepy, and haunting.  It totally fits where it's used in game but I don't find it enjoyable on its own.  Passion is OK, at least I'm not cheering inside when the game changes the music.
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy  I like both quite a bit.  Pried and Honor is a standout among a mostly OK, forgettable soundtrack.  Sounds of Rainfall plays better to my biases.  Soft rainfall is one of my favorite musical motifs so just the title set some expectations.  It delivered on those expectations and I find this a soul soothing piece.  So it wins for me though I'm also happy with the other option.

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme  Really like them both, another contest where both feel like winning choices.  Coinflipped, Fighting to the End gets the chocolates.
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield  I liked Battlefield enough to vote it over original Quasi-space but this remix is of a higher level of quality.  Tough draw: Battlefield has parts that remind me of Einhander and Raiden 5 which plays to my shmup favoritism.
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania  Tough draw.  I'm not swayed by Undertale hype yet Megalovania jams in a way I enjoy.  Dammit Hatbot.  Going to go all the way and try for an upset.  Run Shuffle Simon.  Shuffle like your life depends on it.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme  Got my Phantasy Star 2 track names mixed up in my head.  Still, outside certain Phan circles which are really Phanatical about everything about the game, the music feels unremarkable.  As someone who has played through PS2 multiple times, the memorability came more from hearing the tracks over and over again throughout a playthrough.  As a standalone piece, not quite a dud but Peat's theme I find more enjoyable.

Favorite "new" piece: The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy  I want this song played at my wedding.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:07:00 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:41:22 AM »
Would I call the Star Control 2 tracks a remix, an arrange, a remaster, an update, or something else?  It's different from the OST of the original.  Is this what the Ur-quan Masters freeware release uses?

Yep. The freeware release used entirely remixes*; so when those come up in this tourney, they are legitimately in-game music.

(*Well, almost, I think there's a couple tracks they never did get around to changing from the original.)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return - Hum.  Fire and Rose starts strong but started to feel samey before the song finished.  RH has too little OST for itself, but everything there is good.
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet - That sure it Souls in a nutshell. 
Vanguard Bandits- Passion vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace - I don't have much here, SRWish (very 70s superrobot vibe actually).  Zeal Palace I didn't even remember which song it was at first, for the reason of "oh that one.  Ehhh."
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy - Ah, the "you just had a touching moment" song.  Yeah not a favorite, Pride and Honor's solid meanwhilst.

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme - Huh.  Going for a melancholy character theme in 8-bit with whistles as a primary instrument is... not a normal thing.  But it's distinct, kinda charming I guess?  Fighting to the End is a bit stock, probably the least interesting of BD's boss themes... but it also works much more for me.
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania - Y'know what, I think this rocks the style better.
Phantasy Star II- Under vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme - Mmm.  Under is way better than like any other Phantasy Star music I can think of, but Peat's Theme reminds me of... something really specific and I can't place it but it's good.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 03:13:06 AM »

Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania: Don't Wait Until Night puts up a surprisingly strong fight against Megalovania.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet - very good matchup, really interesting contrast.  I'm glad I'd played both games to have some context to fall back on.

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme - Protoman's theme hasn't aged particularly well, but I still like it here.  Fighting to the End just doesn't have enough going on.  I like the little bit that starts at 1:08 but it doesn't do enough with it.
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night vs Undertale- Megalovania - Interesting matchup. Don't Wait Until Night is really great for a Nintendo(?) game.  Confident, has real energy.  But I feel like it's jobbing for Megalovania, the swagger and subtlety of which stand out in contrast. 
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 09:15:23 PM »
From my phone so not much comment

Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin
Vanguard Bandits- Passion
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor

Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space
Undertale- Megalovania
Phantasy Star II- Under
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 11:41:05 PM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose  vs  Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin  vs   Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet
Vanguard Bandits- Passion  vs  Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor  vs  Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End  vs  Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space  vs  Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night  vs  Undertale- Megalovania
Phantasy Star II- Under  vs  100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
Tokyo 7th Sisters- Fire and Rose- iiiiiii vs Radiant Historia- Where the Wind and Feathers Return - iiiii
Dark Souls- Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin- iii vs  Super Mario Galaxy- Egg Planet - iiiiiiiiii
Vanguard Bandits- Passion- iiiiiiiii vs Chrono Trigger- Zeal Palace - iiii
Front Mission 4- Pride and Honor- iiiiiiiii vs Trails of Cold Steel- The Sounds of Rainfall at the Academy - iiii

Bravely Default- Fighting to the End- iiiiiiiii vs Mega Man 3- Protoman’s Theme - iiii
Star Control 2- Through the Angles of Space- iiiiii vs Drakengard 3- The Rising Fool ~ Battlefield - iiiiiii
Haunted Castle- Don’t Wait Until Night- iiii vs Undertale- Megalovania - iiiiiiiii
Phantasy Star II- Under- iii vs 100% Orange Juice- Peat’s Theme - iiiiiiiiii
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.