Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 10  (Read 1247 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 10
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2 - There's a certain similarity in the songs, like... they have a similar foundation?  Baseline maybe?  I dunno.  Very much an atmosphere vs energy match though... which tends to advantage the energy song when you haven't played the atmosphere game.
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~ - Man Xenosaga was a long time ago.  I don't think I'd have been able to peg this as Margulis' theme if I'd just listened to the song blind. Reset is so weird among Okami themes... but it's alright?  Bit of a push but eh, kinda leaning Okami.
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar - Well that sure is Souls music.  Although having built in transitional bits is pretty cool, always fun when those work.  Lower Brinstar oddly is the more lowkey and atmospheric song, which isn't something opponents of Souls music get to say much.  That said, added songbits help.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway - I really like the way Tokyo Conception is layered in the first half.  New instruments come in, the previous get more intense, this is clearly building.  Breathing.  Then the organs kick in and loses the thread a bit.  It'd probably be stronger if it went from the intro to the dramatic guitar riffs.  Doom isn't normally my thing, but gotta say, Getaway feels like perfect Doom music.

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End - Maybe it's the name twigging my in that direction, but Storm Eagle reminds me of that series of helicopter games on the genesis.  Someday the Dream Will End is... if not my favorite FFX theme, then second.
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You - Huh.  Wasn't expecting something so grizzled from the title.  Are all portal song titles silly regardless of song?  Something about the second bit of Wicked Flight has always tickled me.
GENETOS- Origin vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger - So this feels like a medley.  Except from what I understand, GENETOS itself is a medley, so it probably is supposed to be like htat.  Real good in any case.
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice - Persona 5 music continues to not really strike me.  Spear of Justice is probably the weakest big boss track from Undertale for my money, but it's enough.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:03:53 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2: Tropic of Cancer is good, but that horn intro.
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~: Supremely fitting villain noise.
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar: Mecha Ornstein has one of the better boss themes (and boss battles) in the game. DS3's OST too often hits the Epic Chant button too early, but sometimes it works. Also 2:59 tends to hit right when you're sure you've figured out the fight and are about to win (even if it's not true, you probably feel that way). I still might've voted for Lower Norfair here, though.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway: This is tough. Doomguy noise has been pretty good so far, but that's a nice buildup there. I think I'd've voted the other way if Tokyo Conception was a bit longer.

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End: Tough draw, Storm Eagle has some nice fake guitar sounds.
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You: Something I would've nommed if I'd had more room vs. actual own nom. Easy choice but no hard feelings either way.
GENETOS- Origin vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger: A rare memorable track from the FFIX OST. GENETOS had cool moments but I dunno if I dig it as a whole.
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice: Link for the first is dead, but fortunately I am capable of typing words into a YouTube search. It's nice, but vs. own nom, so.

Are all portal song titles silly regardless of song?

Pretty much. The OST is a study in outstanding song titles. MACHIAVELLIAN BACH. (I seriously considered nomming this just for the title.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:08:09 PM by El Cideon »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2: This was a really hard fought match.
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You
GENETOS- Origin vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice : Wake up was removed (still plenty easy to find it though)

EDIT: Lufia stands strong.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:52:38 PM by Fudozukushi »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 06:26:01 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2 - Yep.
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~ - I guess.
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar - I guess part 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway - I do dig the buildup on the SMT track, but Getaway is great.

Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice - Yep x4

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
CK: I believe you linked to an Arranged version of the Lufia song.  The in-game version appears to be here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8vGrUEn5s

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2 - HUH.  Ok, I do love the second one here, but I'm entranced by the Risk of Rain Soundtrack, and like the song a lot.  Giving it to the new one to me
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~ - Mmmm...evil
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar - Not...feeling the other one at all
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway - Latter's good, but I do love the Tokyo Conception's mood

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End - Two very, very different songs...mood again
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You - Both have the same feeling, play for very different reasons.  Yeah.
GENETOS- Origin vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger - What others have said
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice - Mmm...Spear of Justice is ok.  Decent overall.  I like the P5 intro, but I prefer the intro and instrumental version to the full on vocal.  The full vocal goes on way too long.  Spear of Justice wins the latter, but loses the former 2, so...
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2  Well damn, this ended up close.  Tropic of Cancer made a feeble first impression but seemed to like it more on a second listen.  Going with the one which made the stronger first impression; had it not held up as well on a repeat listen (looking at Tales of Xillia 2 here) could be swayed the other direction.
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~  No ingame context but does sound suitably sinister.  Reset doesn't appeal to my preferences.
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar  Don't care for either.  Lower Brinstar feels minimalist and less obtrusive so it gets on my nerves less.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway  In this instance, I really wanted to like the SMT track.  It just ends so abruptly though, which does matter in a close contest.  I'm not particularly fond of Gateway but it ends up an earwrom.  Also, I associate it with disabling a demon controlled reactor so experience and familiarity influence me here.

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End  This was a tough choice.  Familiarity vote: it's an enjoyable 30 second loop but being only 30 seconds against a juggernaut of a piece is a tough draw.  Had I played FFX, I likely would have voted for it.
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You  Wicked Fight has this eerie feel (yet still enjoyable) about it like it's trying to suck you in whether you want it or not.  Portal 2 track sounds something like what one would get if one combined metal, cyberpunk, electronica, ambient, and trance in a blender and played the output.  With a dash of U.N. Owen to tempt me to pick it.  I guess throwing failed test subjects in a blender is something GLaDDs would do.  Prefer what Wicked Fight is going for here.
GENETOS- Origin vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger  Cannot place Dark Messenger without listening to it what could it be...?  Oh, it's Kuja's theme, zzz... oh this is catchy.  Origin plays to my preferences for interesting SHMUP tunes.  About even to me for different reasons.  Coinflipped, Origin won.
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice   Both felt OK, no strong feelings.  Maybe I need to play the games to appreciate them.  Haven't voted for Undertale yet so it gets a pity vote, otherwise would have coinflipped.

Favorite "new" piece: Wicked Flight
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:49:24 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway

Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:51:03 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 01:55:25 AM »
Good stuff this week.

I'll bite for the NotMiki-bait.
Both are solid, but sure, I'll take imposing villainy today.

I'm not a huge fan of Theme of Samus Aran from an earlier pool, but Lower Brinstar is exactly what good Metroid music should be: moody, tense, exploratory music.
This is pretty cool.

I like Wicked Battle a lot more than Wicked Flight (for all that Flight is fine, of course).  Wheatley battle music is truly unique; as a YouTube comment said (truly the source of all wisdom):
"They take an assortment of random electronic noises and turn it into an intense boss fight song.
How do they do this."

Sheesh this is tricky.  Dark Messenger truly is a classic, but I really like new blood Origin.  Eh, abstain for now.
Sheesh does this version overstay its welcome.  Whatever, it's still fine, and the shorter OP version is very fitting and works really well with it.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 03:46:58 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2 - Doesn't really feel that close, even own nom bias aside. Tropic of Cancer isn't bad, but it's just there, y'know? It feels like it tries a lot of different tricks but fundamentally doesn't do a lot. There's no sense of progression, maybe? I'm not sure, but it's decidedly uninspiring to me. Maybe too modern too? I don't know. I'm trying but I don't have a really coherent reason to why I dislike this track.
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~ - Both are solid but the Okami track won me over in the end.  Wasn't expecting that one at all.
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar - My opinion on Super Metroid music is a microcosm for my opinion of Super Metroid in general. It's good stuff, but at the same time I'm not that into it. I won't deny I played Super Metroid several times back in the day and think it's a good game, 9.5/10 at the minimum. At the same time, I don't have much interest in it and it's consigned to my mental dustheap of disinterest. It just doesn't do it for me on some level that makes it ultimately unsatisfying. All that being said, it massacres yet another Dark Souls track that seems to be trying way too hard to be epic and orchestral.
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway - Own nom bias. That being said, the SMT track is interesting but has some issues, and ultimately not that much payoff. I think I liked the piano at the beginning more than the rest of it.

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End - Wow, that's a brutal, vicious and abysmal draw for MMX. Storm Eagle's great SNES music but the FFX track is the only one from FFX I remember much of.
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight vs Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You - I'll take Wicked Flight over whatever that other track was.
GENETOS- Origin vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger - Much like Kuja, I never cared for Dark Messenger. A paragraph of commentary on why Kuja's a terrible villain has been omitted, you're welcome.
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice - Pass, I don't want to have to choose one of those to advance. Can Storm Eagle's theme get to advance instead?
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 09:58:22 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2: Honestly, I just found the former much more interesting. There's nothing WRONG with the other song, it's just very... fight music-y.
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~: Yep.
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar: As much as I'm a sucker for 'epic' music, the atmosphere of Lower Brinstar is absolutely incredible.

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End: Unfortunately, MMX music is not my jam.
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There vs Undertale- Spear of Justice: Oof. Hurts to vote against any of the Undertale boss themes, but own nom shilling and general love of P5 music wins out here.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
- This is tough.  Tropic of Cancer is pretty good, but I do enjoy me some Lufia tunes and Battle 2 is one of the better tracks.

- Definitely was surprised at how interesting Bombs for Throwing at You is.  Wicked Flight is also quite good but this is a tough opponent.

GENETOS- Origin vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger - So this feels like a medley.  Except from what I understand, GENETOS itself is a medley, so it probably is supposed to be like htat.  Real good in any case.

Origin is played in the last stage, which has five phases.  The first three are completely time-based, so the first three phases of the music follows them perfectly.  The fourth phase is a miniboss, so it can have variable time, so that's why the last phase of the track loops.  The fifth phase is a different song ("Answer").

I found a random gameplay video on youtube if anyone's interested in seeing how it works in context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivgvL8F91G0

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~ - does the Xenosaga one sound like This Is Halloween to anyone else?

Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 03:40:47 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer  vs  Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis  vs  Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor  vs  Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception  vs  Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle  vs  Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight  vs  Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You
GENETOS- Origin  vs  Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There  vs  Undertale- Spear of Justice

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »
Risk of Rain- Tropic of Cancer- iiii vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals- Battle 2 - iiiiiiiiii
Xenosaga Der Wille Zur Macht – Margulis- iiiii vs Okami- Reset ~Ending Theme~ - iiiiiiiii
Dark Souls 3- Dragonslayer Armor- iiiii vs Super Metroid- Lower Brinstar - iiiiiiii
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne- The Tokyo Conception- iiii vs Speed of Doom (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Getaway- iiiiiiiiii

Mega Man X- Storm Eagle- ii vs Final Fantasy X- Someday the Dream Will End - iiiiiiiiiiii
Bravely Default- Wicked Flight- iiiiiiiiiii vs Portal 2- Bombs for Throwing at You - iii
GENETOS- Origin- iiiiiii vs Final Fantasy IX- Dark Messenger - iiiiii
Persona 5- Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There- iiii vs Undertale- Spear of Justice - iiiiiiiii
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.