Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 8  (Read 1208 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 8
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:28:09 AM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine: I played through Drakengard 3's B ending before finally giving up in disgust. It would seem that I missed the best and perhaps only good thing about the game.
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire: Feels like it'll be worth repeat listens later.
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry: GENOCIDE MOTOR
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart: I guess I have to go with my actual nom over my secondhand nom. Hatebot wins either way.

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA: A corpse should be left well enough alone. (YEHOSHUA is pretty cool though, the Hatebot is strong in this pool.)
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain: What?
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers: If only I could be so gloriously incandescent.
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme: Because Scottish space dinosaurs.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:48:34 AM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine - Better vocals.
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire - eh
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry - yep
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart - Not really digging Shoegazer tbh.

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - Flipped a coin on this one, both are good, Hatebot is strong indeed.
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain - What?
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers - Think I'll take peppy if a bit too short over the other thing here.
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme - I can dig it.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:29:50 AM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine - despite I constantly praise Hymmnos for its quality character narrative and story telling, I have to give this match to This Silence is Mine, beating Hymmnos on what the Hymmnos supposedly do better. Intentional or not, hiring Onitsuka to do DoD3's ending song probably is the most brilliant decision that Yokotaro had made when working on this game. Onitsuka's melancholic perfectly grasped Zero's despair with her lyrics. Onitsuka's experienec of depression also made her synchronize with the song even more. Ahh, such sweet sweet despair.

Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine - Was kinda tired of the Drakengard song 3 minutes in...to a 7 minute song. Kay.
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire - Hell yeah, God In Fire is a great final boss song.
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry  - Good song as far as gameboy synth goes anyway.
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart - close one, but i'll go with WA5 music

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - a choice between two OVERLY DRAMATIC songs, eh? I'll go for the one with more energy.
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain  - what?
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers - I immediately started grooving with the SMRPG song.
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme - because scottish space dinosaurs
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:49:21 PM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine - Mmm...actually like both of them.  The "cleaner" sound of the latter wins it
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire - No Adam, but Samus can still win this without him; God in Fire...there's something about the vocals I don't like, I just can't really pinpoint what it is
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry - Both are equally fitting, just prefer the latter
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart - This is a little odd, since At the Frozen Depths of the Heart is technically 2 songs.  I love the battle version of the song, and the dungeon theme is pretty good too.  But the former is on par with the battle theme (a bit worse to me, but still good), and better to me than the dungeon theme, so...

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - Wow...epic chanting, just a slow and fast version to choose between?  Coinflip
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain - Yeah...the FF6 track is not one I've been a fan of
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers - Decent dungeon theme, but the former is awesome music for awesome bosses
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme - "Yip! Are ye DAFT human!? Have ye not heard our words?"
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 03:54:17 AM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine: Took a bit to grow on me, but less boring than the Drakengard song. Also, not Drakengard.
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire: Ehhh, not my favorite Super Metroid song.
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry: Pretty much a straight 50/50 here, but I'll give it to Kirby because I've been neglecting it.
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart: Decided within 3 seconds of the WA5 song.

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA: This one could go either way depending on my mood tbh.
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain: What?

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 03:31:23 AM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine  Ended up reading comments sections to get some context, that decided things for me.  Fictional language > Asain languages when it come to vocals for me.
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire  Kind of eh on both but for very different reasons.  Samus' theme I feel really needs context to pop.  It does work really well with that context; eat Hyper beam brain.  Otherwise, it doesn't seem all that impressive on its own.  Don't know what to make of God in Fire.  The vocals don't irritate me so there's that.  I have no context for this, maybe it would sway my choice if I did.  Feel this is the stronger standalone one but could theoretically be swayed.
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry  Gameboy synth vs essentially a MIDI file: Flashback to the 90s.  Both work well within their limitations.  Going with the one I have past familiarity with (even first heard it in Hellcore 2.0).
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart  First sounds like some kind of dissonance that would be right at home in a rave. Felt I'd get a headache if I kept listening to it, maybe I need to be in a drugged state to like it.  Frozen Depths has this chill feel that I like and the transition into a different style is OK too.

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA  Epic chanting turned me off this time.  Both have it, went with the one that's over faster.
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain  Richer composition  Other track had me going "what?"(ever)   :D
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers  Both feel rather generic in their own way.  Could have coinflipped but didn't.
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme   Don of the Slums really fits where it's used but I have a "don't care" feeling without context.  Other is one of the tracks I liked better from Star Control 2's soundtrack so easy choice.

Favorite "new" piece: Snowy Valak Mountain
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:15:43 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 03:32:51 AM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine - This Silence is Mine has a roughness to it that doesn't work for me.  METEMPSYCHOSIS is a bit too busy, but it's less hurt by it.
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire - God in Fire would benefit a lot from either harsher/more powerful vocals or being a lot faster, but it's still pretty good.  Samus' Theme is solid enough but is just kinda missing something and loops too soon.
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart - Frozen Depths of the Heart has issues, but Shoegazer doesn't grab me at all.

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - I assume any named character in a Bloodborne game is like a fallen hunter, and the theme here certainly captures the tragic nature of that.  YEHOSHUA... I'm pretty sure this is the SRW version of the opening vocal to a gothic robot anime where you play as angels fighting the legions of hell, only to have God betray you and the second half is all about trying to install a new lord of heaven.  Lady Maria is probably better in a vacuum, but I'm feeling big dumb fun a little bit more.
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain - Haaa, I almost voted for What? thinking it was Grand Finale?!.  Silly me.
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers - Ornstein and Smough is pretty good but damn, I had Road is Full of Dangers on for two seconds and started tapping out the rhythm.
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme - Mm, nice groove.  Don of the Slums is real good at what it does, but it's also kinda intentionally annoying (like most of Wall Market's themes).
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 04:08:33 AM »
Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - I assume any named character in a Bloodborne game is like a fallen hunter, and the theme here certainly captures the tragic nature of that.  YEHOSHUA... I'm pretty sure this is the SRW version of the opening vocal to a gothic robot anime where you play as angels fighting the legions of hell, only to have God betray you and the second half is all about trying to install a new lord of heaven.  Lady Maria is probably better in a vacuum, but I'm feeling big dumb fun a little bit more.

Will you believe me if I told you YEHOSHUA is actually a main character theme?

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine - Three choruses was just too busy for my tastes.
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire - Meh.
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry - Own nom plus I legit think it's the better track by far.
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart - Meh.

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - Even more meh.
Final Fantasy VI- What? vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain - What is not good. Not good at all.
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers - Meh.
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme - Needs more Mycon.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/. vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - listened to these two like 10 times each before deciding.  Good stuff!  Somehow I didn't internalize Maria's theme at all despite playing through Bloodborne twice, except the sweet bow work at the beginning.  Too busy getting my ass handed to me apparently.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »
This Silence is Mine >>> everything else this week.

Although play these BOTH at the same time and get a song better than either one individually.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 06:16:52 AM by Talaysen »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 12:45:08 PM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/.  vs  Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior  vs  Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds  vs  Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars  vs  Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower  vs  Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA
Final Fantasy VI- What?  vs  Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough  vs  Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums  vs  Star Control 2: Yehat Theme

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 12:18:41 AM »
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel- EXEC_METEMPSYCHOSIS/.- iiiii vs Drakengard 3- This Silence is Mine - iiiiiiiii
Super Metroid- Theme of Samus Aran, Galactic Warrior- iii vs Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy- God In Fire - iiiiiiiiiii
Kirby’s Dream Land- Bubbly Clouds- iiii vs Hellcore 2.0 (Custom Doom 2 WAD)- Industry - iiiiiiiiii
No More Heroes 2- Shoegazer Watched the Stars- iiii vs Wild ARMs 5- At the Frozen Depths of the Heart - iiiiiiiiii

Bloodborne- Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower- iiiiiii vs Soushu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin- YEHOSHUA - iiiiiii ( <CKDLbot> 10,0CmdrKing rolled :2,0 1d2 --> 3,0[ 1d2=1 ]4,0{1} )
Final Fantasy VI- What?- i vs Xenoblade Chronicles- Snowy Valak Mountain - iiiiiiiiiiiii
Dark Souls- Ornstein and Smough- iiiiiii vs Super Mario RPG- The Road is Full of Dangers - iiiiiii (  <CKDLbot> 10,0CmdrKing rolled :2,0 1d2 --> 3,0[ 1d2=1 ]4,0{1} )
Final Fantasy VII- Don of the Slums- ii vs Star Control 2: Yehat Theme - iiiiiiiiiiii
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.