Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 7  (Read 1241 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM 2017- Round 1, Topic 7
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:50 PM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa - Fairly similar songs, INsignificantia has a bit more nuance I guess.
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark - As above honestly.
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting - whoof, someone put NES sound clips through the SNES sound chip didn't they.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Mm.  Best match of the pool I think.  Depend on Me reminds me of something specific I can't quite put my finger on, but god damn am I a sucker for violin-rock.
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power Scorpio's closer to the Mana Khemia games than the other Dusk games, although that's part of the charm.  Revived Power has a somewhat skewed buildup to payoff ratio but it's still just a very solid track.
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City - kinda a kneejerk if I'm honest.
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker - The hell version of this game is this from even?  It's real good.  Still close because WA3 is an all-time titan even in its mid-tier tracks but.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Technetium43

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 11:32:22 PM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale  - I actually don't dislike Gale, but this is a solid VO____ID song
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting

Everything in the top half except Step Foward vs Gale was tyring to put me to sleep. And mostly succeeding. Nooooooot the best pool to listen to while tired as heck.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - takes a minute to get going but once it does it rocks pretty well.
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City - Snowbelle city is suffering greatly from my tolerance for slow sleepy atmospheric pieces being completely used up by the top half. Also Break It Break It is good.
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker - Closest match in the pool imo. Wound up voting by coinflip, they're both great.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa - I guess?
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark - sure.
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale - Isn't Gale.
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting - If I have to vote for one of these...

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Well WKC had to succeed at something.
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power - Rocks out harder.
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City - sure.
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker - Not much to say, the AoM track is excellent.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa - Mehville.
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark - Melody of Time is a favorite.
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale - Isn't Gale.
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting - Two of my noms meeting? Tough luck.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Had to DQ Depend on Me.
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power - A really good Atelier track? Awesome.
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City - For the start more than anything else, but I like it.
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker - Oh wow, what a blowout. Battle 2 is one of the better tracks from the GB era and is remade wonderfully. It's a track that does well with most remixes and enhancements - my favorite version is actually a midi remix of the original I came across in an unrelated Zelda Classic mod - and delivers. On the other hand, we have Wild Arms 3, which is by and large a big step back from Wild Arms 2's powerful music. It's not as bad as the drop off from Breath of Fire 2 to Breath of Fire 3, but it's an appreciable loss all around.  Fate Breaker tries to me, but it lacks that zip of better WA2 tracks. It doesn't pop at all, it manages comfortable mediocrity rather than sterling success. So this one's no contest at all.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:20 AM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa - Huh.  Both are decent.  Really like the first one more, tune-wise.
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark - Different styles, both good.  Not a huge fan of SaGa Frontier's music in general, and the Ori music plays to some of my preferences, so...
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale - I like Gale, and...the Project Diva music has so far made me want to stab things
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting - Well...kind of a little maybe somewhat similar feelings? 

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Wow...this may be the best match here.  Damn close.
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power - Again, both are good.  Think I prefer the mood elicited by the latter
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City - See previous Project Diva comments
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker - Both good, again - another excellent fight. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 04:48:44 AM »
For an additional bit of context, this song is likely to loop quite a bit on a first playthrough, the version as is is timed for not dying.  Good thing it was awesome enough to power me through drowning repeatedly!

Troll match of the pool, I see.  These are both bad.  At least the jacket in Step Forward is pretty cool.
Is it just me, or does this sound kinda like the snow town music in Symphonia as well?

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)
This really does sound like Mana Khemia music.

Much better than Step Forward.
Great stuff.  Fate Breaker is probably my favorite track from the WA3 soundtrack, but standing by my nom.
CK, AoM is the iOs / PS Vita remake of Seiken Densetsu I / Final Fantasy Adventure.  It's pretty fun.  (Also, the overworld theme is also pretty awesome - 2nd track from the top on the linked playlist.)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe)  vs  Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa - Same reactions as most peeps here, but dropping the vote here for support of the mellow funk-ness of it.
 SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time  vs  Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
 Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward  vs  Chrono Cross- Gale - Different enough to be good
 Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow  vs  Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting - that sure is a Tales snow-town theme

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me  vs  White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version) - Good match though
 Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio  vs  Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power - Same here
 Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It  vs   Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City - Eh to both.
 Adventures of Mana- Battle II  vs  Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker - Almost anti-voted/DQ'ed thinking it was a remix/remake until I read Snowfire's post

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:09:04 PM »
Can't identify a single one without listening to it first, this will be interesting.

Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa  No strong feelings on either.  I voted the one I think works better as a standalone piece though could be persuaded the other works nicer with context.
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark  Felt inclined to give a pity vote to a Saga Frontier track that isn't the main battle theme.  And it does amuse me to imagine it as the background music when Timelord magicgirlifies Ghaleon or other mischief.  The Ori track just won me over somehow.
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale  Meh to both.  Gale has one or two lines that sound similar to a Castlevania track but I'm grasping at straws here if that's the deciding factor.
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting  I think last round has raised my standards on sad, moody, pieces.  That's the main factor why I don't think highly of Sorrow of Parting.  Other track is decent enough though also, my bar was rather low for a winner.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)  The scope won me over here.  Epic without sounding like it's trying too hard to be that way is the phrasing the comes to mind here.  Both are new so no context to influence things.
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power  Like them both.  Prefer the energy of this pick, was in that kind of mood when listening to them.
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City  This tourney is my first exposure to Vocaloid.  I've found it's just not my thing.  So Vocalaid vs anything else ends up clearcut as long as the anything else isn't terrible.
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker   I've heard both of these before after listening to them.  Strangely, i have Final Fantasy Adventure on cartridge and don't remember this at all; it was in a LP of some random romhack that I recognize it from.  Best Wild Arms 3 dungeon track on the other side.  Both excellent tracks.  Slight preference for Fate Breaker though the one I didn't vote for is also quality and would pick it over the entire top half.  Or over about half my own noms.

Favorite "new" pick: Scorpio  And that makes two Atelier series tracks that I've taken a liking to despite no previous context.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:55:01 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 07:14:28 AM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe)  vs  Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time  vs  Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward  vs  Chrono Cross- Gale
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow  vs  Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me  vs  White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio  vs  Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It  vs   Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City
Adventures of Mana- Battle II  vs  Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:05 PM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa: Just more my style.
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark: Tough. Ori is pretty cool, but the Saga Frontier OST's a standout soundtrack for me.
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale: Jim fanservice wins because it isn't Gale. Next time, Gadget!
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting: Sound quality in the latter isn't selling me on the mood.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version): Sure.
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power: Different SotC track probably could've taken it, though.
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City: Harsh words.
Adventures of Mana- Battle II vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker: Kinda sorta nom solidarity, but other track is fine too.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:28 AM »

- About the only good thing to come out of WKC2.
- I already liked the GB version and AoM arranges it well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:10:36 PM by Talaysen »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe) vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa- Halo's music is fantastic.
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark- Melody of Time is an all time favorite.
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward vs Chrono Cross- Gale- Not Gale.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark - toughest choice this week. Melody of Time has a great, um, melody.  Ori has high production values and great intensity.

Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 11:45:46 PM »
Halo Wars- Insignificantia (All Sloppy- No Joe)- iiiiiiiiiiiiii vs Spyro: Year of the Dragon- Sunny Villa - i
SaGa Frontier- Melody of Time- iiiiiii vs Ori and the Blind Forest- Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark- iiiiiiiii
Project Diva Future Tone- Step Forward- iiiiiiiii vs Chrono Cross- Gale- iiiiii
Tales of Graces- To a Sea of Dancing Snow- iiiiiiiiiiiiii vs Lufia and the Fortress of Doom- The Sorrow of Parting- ii

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter- Depend on Me vs White Knight Chronicles 2 - The Battlefield Flower (Violin Version)- iiiiiiiiiiiiii
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea- Scorpio- iiiiiiiiiii vs Shadow of the Colossus- Revived Power- iiii
Project Diva F 2nd- Break It Break It- iiiiii vs  Pokémon X/Y- Snowbelle City - iiiiiiii
Adventures of Mana- Battle II- iiiiiiiiiii vs Wild ARMs 3- Fate Breaker - iiii

CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.