Author Topic: Futurama type tournament- because why not?  (Read 1530 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Futurama type tournament- because why not?
« on: October 18, 2021, 03:06:14 PM »
Godlike:

Edelgard von Hresvelg (FE:TH) vs Melfice (G2)
The Dark One (AtLs) vs Reicher Wallach (MK2)
Genevieve (VP1) vs Rudo Marco (Brig)
Yuna (FFX) vs Oz (Wizard of Oz)

Heavy:

Id (XG) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids)
Erik (DQ11) vs Red (SaGa)
Claude von Riegan (FE:TH) vs Lassic (PS4)
Eliza Uzala (Brig:LoR) vs Hugo (S3)

Middle:

Therion (Octopath) vs Crono (CT)
Hendrik (DQ11) vs Mario (SMRPG)
Hahn Mahlay (PS4) vs Lion (Wizard of Oz)
Talia (Brig:LoR) vs Guy (Lufia 2)

Light:

Ophilia Clement (Octopath) vs Lucca Ashtear (CT)
Setzer Gabianni (FF6) vs Gen (Child of Light)
Hanneman (FE:TH) vs Thief(male)(FFT)
Luigi (Mario Rabbids) vs Kain Highwind (FF4)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Futurama type tournament- because why not?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 12:48:34 AM »
Godlike:

Edelgard von Hresvelg (FE:TH) vs Melfice (G2) - Maybe if I allowed more than use of Raging Storm per battle or remembered Melfice's charge times on his MT stuff well enough to say for sure if Edie could midcharge him. e: although maybe the stagger works?  god, am I actually vaguely respecting stagger enough to temporarily abstain here?  Yeah probably.
The Dark One (AtLs) vs Reicher Wallach (MK2) - Hell if I know. e: sure, hard to argue against Reicher offense in general
Yuna (FFX) vs Oz (Wizard of Oz) - Oz is good but I'm pretty sure he's not stand up to the conga good.

Heavy:

Erik (DQ11) vs Red (SaGa) - 2HKOs, should survive Divide -> Fatal Slash
Claude von Riegan (FE:TH) vs Lassic (PS4) - Maybe if Lassie didn't have MT to get around the possibility of Claude abusing Alert Stance+

Middle:

Therion (Octopath) vs Crono (CT) - Probably. e: you saw nothing
Hendrik (DQ11) vs Mario (SMRPG) - Yeah DQ11 speed doesn't matter to me past the first turn and Mario sucks against the defensive game.  Doesn't help that I'm inclined to take the cast at Act 2 which if anything probably makes Hendrik look a better on relative stats/damage (though less MP to run the game obviously.)
Hahn Mahlay (PS4) vs Lion (Wizard of Oz) - Pretty sure Savol is turn 1 against Lion magic stat, sigh.  e: or Eliminate because that's just turn 1 against average.

Light:

Ophilia Clement (Octopath) vs Lucca Ashtear (CT) - So the elemental reflection owns Flare and Lucca can't OHKO with a max damage Wondershot crit (WHICH IN COMPLETE FAIRNESS will probably actually happen because Ophilia takes like 12 hits to kill with a physical setup), so that's great.  And yeah I can't say I have respect for 8PT speed doing anything ever.
Setzer Gabianni (FF6) vs Gen (Child of Light) - Sure.
Hanneman (FE:TH) vs Thief(male)(FFT) - Thief doubles and two-rounds, so Hanneman gets three Ragnaroks off... which, since two of them are counters, does 120 to a 127 kill point, so that's not happening since Thief HP is weirdly non-fail.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:58:18 AM by Random Consonant »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 01:05:27 AM »
Godlike:

Edelgard von Hresvelg (FE:TH) vs Melfice (G2): Go axe girl.
The Dark One (AtLs) vs Reicher Wallach (MK2): Offense vs defense. Hmm. Offense.
Yuna (FFX) vs Oz (Wizard of Oz): Om nom nom Aeons. Not even buffing will help Oz? Sure he could be fast and get a good thwack in but he's not gonna beat the Aeons surely.

Heavy:

Id (XG) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids)
Erik (DQ11) vs Red (SaGa):
Claude von Riegan (FE:TH) vs Lassic (PS4): Yikes.

Middle:

Hendrik (DQ11) vs Mario (SMRPG)

Light:

Ophilia Clement (Octopath) vs Lucca Ashtear (CT): Magic wall/status?
Luigi (Mario Rabbids) vs Kain Highwind (FF4)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:57:30 PM by Pyro »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 03:00:25 AM »
I will get to full votes later, but how would Therion beat Crono? Therion needs to hit turn 3 to kill and Crono will kill him with Luminaire before that happens and HP Thief can't stop that mathematically.
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 12:29:02 AM »
Godlike:

The Dark One (AtLs) vs Reicher Wallach (MK2)- Reicher's just doing a hideous amount of damage here. Not even the Dark One can tank through a Reicher blitz.
Genevieve (VP1) vs Rudo Marco (Brig)- Even if Genevieve survives a Clean Military Rule, I don't see Gen having even the slightest prayer of OHKOing Rudo.

Heavy:

Id (XG) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids)- I think so. Id's constant doubleturns don't help with Super Barrier spam. Id might be able to muscle through this- 15- XG spear is a lot and RL is not great on offense- but my kneejerk is to go this way.
Erik (DQ11) vs Red (SaGa)- Agree with Random.
Eliza Uzala (Brig:LoR) vs Hugo (S3)-Immune the status and have counters+parry of her own to deal with the physical. Think she can lock Hugo long enough with her physical to run him out of healing and she can outrace the True Fire Rune with Exablast/Crimson Rondo.

Middle:

Therion (Octopath) vs Crono (CT)- I always forget how fast Crono is with the Swallow. Therion gets blitzed down.
Hendrik (DQ11) vs Mario (SMRPG)- I don't think Hendrik can heal/buff his way out of trouble here; Mario does run out of gas eventually but he's so much faster to start with and Hendrik's healing is nonfull. My kneejerk is that Hendrik has slightly lower stats based on C2 as well so if I'm wrong, let me know.
Talia (Brig:LoR) vs Guy (Lufia 2)- I don't think Talia can deal with multiple limit ranges.  Threat of Deadly Smash means she needs to keep her health pretty close to full and she also has to blitz past his healing. She could try and poison Guy with Flying Snake Fang but A: Brig poison isn't that great in the DL and B: That costs her some healing with each use of it. Eh.

Light:

Ophilia Clement (Octopath) vs Lucca Ashtear (CT)- Surely.
Luigi (Mario Rabbids) vsKain Highwind (FF4)- Even Kain should 3HKO Luigi.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 01:42:13 AM »
Edelgard von Hresvelg (FE:TH) vs Melfice (G2) - Eh, pass. Not willing to ponder how much I respect Melfice evade.
The Dark One (AtLs) vs Reicher Wallach (MK2) - Yeah, starting from turn two onwards, Reicher's just pumping somewhere between 2x and 3x PC HP a turn. Dark One does -not- have the slugfesting power to break through that with his decent 2HKO and nothing else.
Genevieve (VP1) vs Rudo Marco (Brig) - So, Rudo goes first and survives an Indiscriminate string. Do I see Genevieve dying to around 1.4x PC HP in physical damage? Gut says... yeah, if not by much, her DEF isn't great.
Yuna (FFX) vs Oz (Wizard of Oz) - This is probably kinda ugly. Oz probably eats it real bad to Magus Sisters at worst.

Claude von Riegan (FE:TH) vs Lassic (PS4) - That's -a lot- of HP Claude has to chew through.
Eliza Uzala (Brig:LoR) vs Hugo (S3) - EDIT: Oops, indeed I undersold Final Flame and it's faster than Exablast Eliza to boot. Yeah, against that 2HKO, she can't really climb that hill, I thought her red orbs would give her that light fire res, but that's not the case.

Therion (Octopath) vs Crono (CT) - Sure why not.
Hahn Mahlay (PS4) vs Lion (Wizard of Oz) - Lion stun can stall out Hahn for a surprisingly long time, but not long enough for him to never get a turn, given Lion's accuracy woes in general. Alert would keep Savol from being turn one, but it does nothing to stop Eliminat from killing turn one itself. If Lion could afford to give Hahn a single turn, he'd have this.
Talia (Brig:LoR) vs Guy (Lufia 2) - Oof, of all things, Guy struggles with Talia's -counters- and he can't avoid melee range. After her first turn, if Guy attacks, he's a double away from death and he uh actually can't deal with this at all without stalling with Tough Hide healing... which opens him to just get Poison-stalled to death, methinks, and puts him in range of a 3HKO off physicalx2 => her special OFF THE BAT. I really can't see how he can work this properly when he's 5-4'd by average speed and constantly risking an effective two-rounding when he goes on the offense. Without counters in play, I think super would be right on the money here, but they seriously tilt control of the fight towards Talia.

Ophilia Clement (Octopath) vs Lucca Ashtear (CT) - The magic spoiling is a huge problem for Ophilia in a vaccuum... but I'm inclined to see her as faster given OT speed and Boost => Reflective Veil SCREWS LUCCA OVER SO BAD. She risks being 2HKOed by her own reflected Flares and is reduced to her horrible physical to win a slugfest against a healer.
Setzer Gabianni (FF6) vs Gen (Child of Light) - Gen's pretty trash.
Hanneman von Essar (FE:TH) vs Thief (male) (FFT) - Ew. This is bad.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 12:12:21 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »
Godlike:
The Dark One (AtLs) vs Reicher Wallach (MK2)
Genevieve (VP1) vs Rudo Marco (Brig)- Probably
Yuna (FFX) vs Oz (Wizard of Oz)

Heavy:
Eliza Uzala (Brig:LoR) vs Hugo (S3)- Eliza will die to two Final Flames and I think that creates too much of an uphill battle for her.

Middle:
Therion (Octopath) vs Crono (CT)- As noted, Crono 3HKOs even through the draining, and given that OT speed is one of the most meaningless speed stats in an RPG, is certainly gets his third turn first.
Talia (Brig:LoR) vs Guy (Lufia 2)- I only see Counters for Talia when a range advantage exists and she 6-5s to me, so Guy will just heal before heading into a double and I think he should be fine.

Light:
Ophilia Clement (Octopath) vs Lucca Ashtear (CT)- Well, Lucca's status is bad to me so at least I don't have to ponder that (although for those who see it at 70%, if Lucca goes Mdef tank as I would imagine she would need to, goodbye Vigil Helm. If Lucca falls asleep, that gives Ophilia the chance to build up to a nasty Divine Skill->3 BP Boosted blitz which will hurt even Lucca badly). Also, Ophilia is effectively average speed after turn 1 as well.

Assumign a 2600 kill point, Ophilia needs to do 8390 damage. I'm assuming that Ophilia's default is ~460 using the elemental boosting hat which I think is storebought, which means that she needs 19x her normal base. Lucca's issue is that only Flare heal locks and that probably already sinks her and prevents me from needing to do the math. Even Sleep might be a difficult strategy to capitalize on since all it really does is boost Lucca's damage a little while also giving Ophilia a BP build-up. Probably also evidence that I'll see Ophilia as a Middle when I do the rankings, because Lucca is not easy to beat with magic.

Setzer Gabianni (FF6) vs Gen (Child of Light)- Setzer 4HKOs normally, Gen 3HKOs normally (And therefore also Setzer) and while Gen is slower, she's not so slow as to be doubled.
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 01:51:10 AM »
Edelgard von Hresvelg (FE:TH) vs Melfice (G2)
I can see why everyone is so reluctant to vote on this.  Interrupting Melfice mid-charge or something is definitely the way to go.  Unfair as it is, Melfice does seem to spoil here, as Edelgard's "weakness" is middling accuracy (without teammates to support her...  which she will in game, but not in the DL) vs. captain evasion, and Melfice has multitarget damage to avoid counters.  She'll still win sometimes when she gets lucky of course, but...  nah.
VP1 boss damage was nutty but not nutty enough.

Heavy:

Hugo can still win if his evade is seen as nutty enough, but...  some minor fire resistance & counterattacks seem to go a long way to swinging the slugfest in Eliza's favor.

Middle:

Yeah, Therion's 0.93 Elemental Durability, which is not great here.  Even if Armor Corrosive -> Boosted HP Thief gives Therion enough HP back to survive, that means he threw away all his BP and won't be able to finish the kill on round 3.
Headache.  Poison does seem like it would stop Guy from building IP though.  Maybe later.

Light:

Ophilia Clement (Octopath) vs Lucca Ashtear (CT)
DOES OPHILIA WIN WITH PHYSICAL STAFF BEATDOWN?!  While Ophilia's healing reserves are not THAT huge and it will take a *while* to finish this, as long as Wondershot isn't getting constant max damage off, the odds should favor Ophilia.
Gen's a headache, but Setzer just might give enough time for Gen's weird time game to work.
I'll believe Random's numbers.