Register

Author Topic: New Game Interest Check: Battlestar Galactica  (Read 8582 times)

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
New Game Interest Check: Battlestar Galactica
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »
So, I recently got ahold of the Battlestar Galactica board game.  It's an odd little game that sort of combines the team play aspect of games like Arkham Horror with the paranoia and treachery of Mafia.

If you aren't familiar with the show(and don't worry, I'm not either, don't need to be to enjoy the game), the basic idea is fairly simple.  Long ago, humans sent out colonies.  Eventually, one of these colonies made humanoid robot workers called Cylons.  These workers rebelled.  Eventually, the humans were nearly wiped out, and only one small fleet escaped and are trying to find their way to this mythical planet called Earth.  Unfortunately for them, the Cylons learned how to make near-perfect human robots and have replaced key members of the leadership.

The players need to work together to manage their limited resources and survive the entire trip to Earth.  The Cylons are working to destroy the last remnants of humanity, both from the inside with traitorous players and the outside with their own pursuit fleet.  The actual mechanics would take forever to explain, but luckily, Fantasy Flight Games has the rulebooks freely available online for those interested.  The FAQ/errata has information from the two expansions which I don't have yet, but below that is clarifications to the secrecy rules so make sure to skip down to those.

Base Game Rules
Official FAQ/Errata

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested to try to play some games of this on the forum.  I know it's close to Christmas so I wouldn't be starting right away, probably early in the new year.  If you want more info feel free to ask in here, PM me, or poke me on IRC and I'll be happy to discuss things.  If you think you would like to try it out, please post in here so I can get an idea if this would be worth setting up.  We'll want five players as that hits the best overall play balance.  Due to the loyalty mechanics, it would be completely unfair for me to both run the game and play in it, so I would just be a moderator.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: New Game Interest Check: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:32:41 AM »
Interest status: expressed

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 05:03:29 AM »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »
Alright, I've got a little more time now and I'm sure there's people who don't want to read an FFG rulebook, so I'm going to go over a few of the basics of how the game works.  I still recommend reading through the rulebook if you're interested in playing, though.  I'm not going to go over all the little details here.  If anything is confusing, please ask questions.  Also, I apologize in advance but some of the text on the pictures is going to be hard to read due to size.  For the game itself I'll do like we did for Arkham and put a list of locations and effects in an early post, and also character effects/skill cards.

First off, the game is played with 3-6 players, though the best balance between the two sides is found with five.  At the beginning of the game, every character gets a loyalty card(possibly more than one, depending on the character they're playing as) which tells them whether they are a Cylon or not.  No matter which team you're on, you start out playing like a Human.  Approximately halfway through the game, another set of loyalty cards is dealt out.  The exact balance of Humans to Cylons depends on the number of players.  With five players, there will eventually be three Humans and two Cylons.  There is no guarantee when the Cylon cards will be dealt out, though, as the loyalty cards are all in one deck to start.  Before the halfway point, you could have anywhere from zero to two Cylons.

The objective of the game for the humans is to keep your resources from running out and survive to reach a certain distance through the FTL jump mechanics.  The Cylons, obviously, want to stop them somehow.  The Cylons have several ways to win the game.  If a resource is ever at zero at the end of a player's turn, the Cylons win.  They can also destroy the Galactica, or put boarding parties on it which vent the ship's atmosphere to space.

This is what one of the character cards you can choose from looks like:

On the left side, you have the character's picture and the cards they will draw at the start of the turn.  For this and one other character, the box with two card types mean you pick from those two decks to draw from, but only draw that total number of cards from the two decks(the other character like this draws two, he could take one of each or both from one).  Also, only characters that draw cards from the Piloting deck are able to pilot the Viper fighters.  The right side has the character's type and abilities.  The type is basically only important for the character selection rules.  For abilities, the first one is their passive ability, which always takes effect if applicable.  This can happen any number of times during the game.  The second action listed is a more powerful action that you can only choose to use once per game.  The third action, below the red line, is the character's Drawback.  Like the first action, this always takes effect if applicable, but it hinders you in some way.

There are two titles available which are given to the characters at the start of the game, and which can be transferred through game effects.  These are the President and the Admiral.  There is a line of succession for these titles in the rulebook.  Whichever chosen character is highest on the line of succession for that title starts with the title.  The President gets access to special Quorum cards, which have a variety of abilities which can potentially be very powerful for either side.  The Admiral gets access to the Nuke tokens to attack enemy ships and also has limited choice over your FTL jumps.  The Humans must jump to a certain distance to win the game, but also have to take fuel into account, so this ability is very important.

The loyalty cards will tell you whether or not your character is a Cylon.  If your character is a Cylon, it also gives you a special ability that you can use when you choose to reveal yourself.  Before Cylons reveal themselves, they move and take actions the same way humans do.  Cylons can only choose to reveal themselves when they have an action available(certain cards allow you to take actions even when it isn't your turn), and their abilities only work if they have not been thrown in the Brig.  Therefore, you have to choose whether to try and sabotage the humans sneakily and then hit them with the reveal effect, or causing one huge problem and hoping you can avoid getting thrown in the Brig until your turn.  You can still reveal yourself and move to the Cylon locations(which I'll explain with the board shortly), but you lose the effect of your loyalty card's power.

Now, let me show you what the game board is going to look like.  The actual game board is the part with the space background and the boxes above it, the stuff in the grey bars on the sides are actually just game components that aren't on the board yet.  I'm going to use the VASSAL game engine to generate the board and such like I did with the last Arkham game.

The board is fairly simple.  The large ship in the middle is the game's title ship, the Galactica.  The smaller boxes on top of it are Locations that your characters can move to and take actions in.  The space area surrounding Galactica is separated into six sections.  Enemy ships and your own fighters can move in and occupy these sections.  Unlike the internal locations, they don't have actions specific to each location, but you can use an action to attack an enemy ship that is in the same space as you.  The bottom of the board is showing the five decks of skill cards that the players draw from.

Up above the space board, the small ship on the left is Colonial One, part of the fleet the Galactica is protecting.  There are some locations there you can take actions in, mostly related to the President title.  To the right of that are the Cylon locations.  When a Cylon reveals themselves, they move to those locations.  For the remainder of the game, the Cylon player can only move and take actions in those locations.  Humans can never move to these locations.  To the right of the Cylon locations are the Centurion Boarding Track and the FTL Jump Preparation track.  These are tracked during the game to determine when the Galactica jumps and to track the Centurion Boarding parties which can win the game for the Cylons if the humans don't stop them(the final space literally says Humans Lose).

Above those, there is a set of boxes that show some game information.  The upper left is the Destiny Deck.  This deck is formed from a mix of cards from the five skill card decks and cards are added from this to the skill checks(which I'll explain in the next post).  This adds a little randomness to skill checks and also provides a small amount of cover for Cylons that want to risk sabotaging the checks.  To the right of that, the next two boxes show Viper and Raptor ships that are damaged and that are in reserves.  The Humans have a limited number of ships and they can be damaged or even destroyed.  Finally, the upper right has the resource dials.  These are currently showing their starting values.  During the game, many effects will change these values, normally lowering them though there are some ways to increase them as well.  It's worth noting that the starting values are not the maximums.

Hopefully this gives you a decent idea what the game is about.  I'll go over the actual gameplay and such in another post in a bit.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:44:28 PM by Yakumo »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
Alright, now for how the game is actually played.  This might seem to be a bit out of order, but I'm going to skip the character selection and setup for now and just hit the actual game turns.

Every character takes their turns in order, though discussion of what should be done and such during each player's turn is encouraged.  The first thing you do is draw skill cards into your hand based on your character card.  Using Starbuck who I posted above as an example, She would draw two cards from the Tactics deck, two cards from Piloting, and choose between Engineering or Leadership for her final card.  If a player has revealed themselves as a Cylon, they instead draw only two cards, but they can pick from any decks to draw from.

The second step of the turn is movement.  A Human or unrevealed Cylon can move to any space on Galactica or Colonial One.  If a character is a pilot and is piloting a Viper, they may also choose to move to an adjacent sector of space.  If you choose to move to a ship that you aren't currently on, you must discard one of your skill cards to make the move.  Keep in mind that there are ways to get actions even when it isn't your turn, so even if you don't plan to use a location's special ability, it may be worth moving to one that you could use if you needed it later on a different turn.

Third is the Action step.  You get one action on this step to use.  Most locations have an ability that you can choose to use with your action.  Some skill cards also have an ability that you can choose to use with your action.  Some of the characters' Once Per Game actions require you to use an action to activate them.  If you are piloting a Viper, you can use your action as an additional movement or you can attack an enemy ship that is in the same section of space as you are.  Attacking an enemy ship requires a die roll and the result required depends on what ship you are attacking.  There is a chart on the last page of the rulebook.  Revealing yourself as a Cylon is also an action.

If you are a Revealed Cylon, your turn ends after this step.  Humans have three more steps, however.

The fourth step is the Crisis step.  The top card of the crisis deck is drawn and resolved.  There are three types of Crisis: Cylon Attack, which puts more enemy ships on the board and has them moving and attacking; Skill Checks, which I will cover in more detail after the turn order; and Events, which are simply picking an option off the card to occur.

Fifth is the Activate Cylon Ships step.  Most Crisis cards have a picture of a Cylon ship on the bottom left.  That type of ship will take an action depending on the current state of the game board, which I will go into more detail on later.

The final step in the Human turn is the Prepare for Jump step.  If the Crisis card has a jump icon on the lower right, the Jump Preparation track is increased by one.

Once the final step in a player's turn has been completed, the next player starts their turn from the draw step.

Before I explain skill checks, I'm going to explain the Destiny Deck as it's used in these checks.  At the start of the game, two random cards are taken from each of the skill decks and added to the Destiny Deck, which is then shuffled.  If the Destiny Deck is depleted, it is rebuilt with two new cards from each stack.  Every time a skill check is made, two of these cards are added to the check.  I'll explain in more detail in a moment, but each skill check has skill types that are positive, and skill types that are negative.  Since the Destiny Deck can add any type of skill card, it can help or hinder the checks, or simply cancel itself out.

Skill checks can be activated from certain locations or from Crisis cards.  The picture below is an example of a Skill Check on a Crisis Card.

I apologize for the tiny text but you should be able to see enough to understand the explanation.  During the actual game, if I can't find larger images I'll type out the information so it's readable.

The top of the card has a number on the left and the title of the card.  The number is the total number that the skill check has to add up to for it to be considered a Pass.  In this case, the target number is 8.

On the left of the card, next to the picture, is a set of five boxes.  These represent the five types of skill cards.  If a box is colored in, that type of skill card is positive for this check.  If it is not, that type of skill card would count as negative.  From top to bottom, they are Politics(yellow), Leadership(green), Tactics(purple), Piloting(red), and Engineering(blue).  For this check, Politics and Leadership cards would be positive, and Tactics, Piloting, and Engineering would be negative.

The box directly below the picture is just flavor text.  Below that, there is a box that has the possible results for the check.  Some checks, like this one, have a Partial Pass which is shown as a number between Pass and Fail in the results box(in this case, the 5+).  If the skill check total ends up as a Pass, the Pass effect happens.  In this case, that is no effect.  If the total is lower than the Pass but high enough to trigger the Partial Pass, then that effect occurs.  With this card, one morale would be lost.  Finally, if the total result is lower than the partial pass result, or lower than the check result if there is no partial pass, then the Fail condition occurs.  For this example, the Fail condition on this card is that one morale is lost and whoever has the president title must discard four skill cards from their hand.  For locations, which don't have a failure effect listed, the failure effect is simply no effect.

When a skill check begins, two cards are added to the check from the Destiny Deck.  After this, the players play into the check face down.  You are not allowed to tell other players what you are adding to the check.  You can give a rough idea, such as saying your cards are low or high, but you can't say which skill type they are or any specific information about the strength.  Normally cards have to be played in turn order.  For speed of play with an online game, this will normally not be enforced, but it can be if the players wish it to be or if the Investigative Committee card is played, which makes players play into the check face up instead of face down.  Once all of the cards have been dealt in, I will total them and tell you what has been played in(not the order in which they were played, though, I will sort them by type and strength so you can't tell who played what) and the end total of the skill check.

When deciding whether to attempt a skill check or to hold cards and deliberately allow it to fail, the players should keep in mind how many characters draw positive cards and roughly how many cards they could have.  Remember that players only draw their five cards during their own turns, so if the same requirements keep showing up, they could run out of cards before they get a chance to draw more.  Also, keep in mind that the decks have a lot more of the smaller cards than they do of the larger ones.  Each skill deck has 8 copies of the card with 1 strength, 6 copies with 2 strength, 4 copies of 3 strength, 2 copies of 4 strength, and one single card with 5 strength.

During the Activate Cylon Ships step, if there is an icon in the lower left of the crisis card(which there is on the example above, to activate Heavy Raiders), that type of ship is activated.  I will handle the actual activation, but it would be useful for you guys to know what they do.  There is a quick reference guide on the last page of the rulebook that explains what Raiders and Heavy Raiders do if they activate.  There is also a Launch Raiders activation which causes three Raiders to be added to the board for each Basestar in play, and an Activate Basestars icon which causes any Basestars on the board to attack Galactica.

Finally, there is the Prepare for Jump step.  If the crisis card had an icon in the lower right(which the example card above does), the Jump Preparation track in the upper right area of the board moves one space to the right.  If the track reaches Auto Jump on the right, then the fleet jumps.  When the fleet jumps, all ships(enemy and ally) are removed from the board.  If a player was piloting a Viper, they are moved to the hangar bay.  The admiral draws two cards from the top of the Destination Deck and chooses one of them.  The second card is placed on the bottom of the deck.  Nobody but the Admiral gets to see what the second card was.  The instructions on the chosen card are followed, and the card is set off to the side of the board.  Each destination card has a number on the bottom, from 1 to 3.  In order for the humans to win, the total distance on played destination cards must total 8 or more and the fleet must make a final jump(which does not require a new destination).  Once the total number reaches 4 or above for the first time, the Sleeper phase begins and all players are given a second loyalty card.

If you look at the track on the board in my previous post, you will notice that the first space is black, then there are two red spaces, two blue spaces, and the Auto Jump space.  The black one is actually the start space, the token that shows how far you are along the track is black.  When the token reaches the blues spaces, a player can cause an early jump by using an action in the FTL control location, but must risk population to do so.  On the first blue space you are risking three population, and on the second blue space you are risking one.  When you attempt this you roll a d8, and if the number is 6 or less, you lose that amount of population.  If the roll is 7 or 8, you do not lose anything.  Either way, the rest of the jump is handled the same way as an auto jump.

That pretty much does it for the very basic game turn.  There are a lot of other rules that can come up, but generally aren't handled every single turn.  Like I said before, if people are interested in actually playing I suggest you run through the rules/errata on your own.  Much like Arkham, this game is fairly complicated but once you get the hang of it things are fairly smooth.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:03:54 AM by Yakumo »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »
Sure

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »
Since I know the board will be difficult to read and information about the characters and skill cards is important, I'm stealing a reference list from SA's BSG threads.  I'll also put this in the game thread when we get going.

Characters(Information in parentheses are the decks they draw from and the number of cards from each deck.  If two decks are listed for one number, the player chooses which deck.)

Military Leaders

William Adama (Leadership/3, Tactics/2)
    Inspirational Leader -- When you draw a Crisis Card, all 1 strength Skill Cards count positive for the skill check.
    Command Authority -- Once per game, after resolving a skill check, instead of discarding the used Skill Cards, draw them into your hand.
    Emotionally Attached -- You may not activate the "Admiral's Quarters" location.

Saul Tigh (Tactics/3, Leadership/2)
    Cylon Hatred -- When a player activates the "Admiral's Quarters" location, you may choose to reduce the difficulty by 3.
    Declare Martial Law -- Action: Once per game, give the President title to the Admiral.
    Alcoholic -- At the start of any player's turn, if you have exactly 1 Skill Card in you hand, you must discard it.

Karl "Helo" Agathon (Leadership/2, Tactics/2, Piloting/1)
    ECO Officer -- During your turn, you may reroll a die that was just rolled (once per turn). You must use the new result.
    Moral Compass -- Once per game, after a player makes a choice on a Crisis Card, you may change it.
    Stranded -- Your character is not placed on the board at the start of the game. While not on the game board, you may not move, be moved, or take actions. At the start of your 2nd turn, place your character on the "Hangar Deck" location.

Political Leaders

Laura Roslin (Politics/3, Leadership/2)
    Religious Visions -- When you draw Crisis Cards, draw 2 and choose 1 to resolve. Place the other on the bottom of the deck.
    Skilled Politician -- Action: Once per game, draw 4 Quorum Cards. Choose 1 to resolve and place the rest on the bottom of the deck. You do not need to be President to use this ability.
    Terminal Illness -- In order to activate a location, you must first discard 2 Skill Cards.

Gaius Baltar (Politics/2, Leadership/1, Engineering/1)
    Delusional Intuition -- After you draw a Crisis Card, draw 1 Skill Card of your choice (it may be from outside your skill set).
    Cylon Detector -- Action: Once per game, you may look at all Loyalty Cards belonging to another player.
    Coward -- You start the game with 2 Loyalty Cards instead of 1.

Tom Zarek (Politics/2, Leadership/2, Tactics/1)
    Friends in Low Places -- When a player activates the "Administration" or "Brig" location, you may choose to reduce or increase the difficulty by 2.
    Unconventional Tactics -- Action: Once per game, lose 1 population to gain 1 of any other resource type.
    Convicted Criminal -- You may not activate locations occupied by other characters (except the "Brig").

Pilots

Lee "Apollo" Adama (Piloting/2, Leadership/Politics/2, Tactics/1)
    Alert Viper Pilot -- When a viper is placed in a space area from the "Reserves", you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the "Brig".
    CAG -- Action: Once per game, you may activate up to 6 unmanned Vipers.
    Headstrong -- When you are forced to discard Skill Cards, you must discard randomly.

Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Tactics/2, Piloting/2, Leadership/Engineering/1)
    Expert Pilot -- When you start your turn piloting a Viper, you may take 2 Actions during your Action Step (instead of 1).
    Secret Destiny -- Once per game, immediately after a Crisis Card is revealed, discard it and draw a new one.
    Insubordinate -- When a player chooses you with the "Admiral's Quarters" location, reduce the difficulty by 3.

Sharon "Boomer" Valerii (Tactics/2, Piloting/2, Engineering/1)
    Recon -- At the end of your turn, you may look at the top of the Crisis Deck and place it on the top or bottom.
    Mysterious Intuition -- Once per game, before resolving a Skill Check on a Crisis Card, choose the result (Pass or Fail) instead of resolving it normally.
    Sleeper Agent -- During the Sleeper Agent Phase, you are dealt 2 Loyalty Cards (instead of 1) and are moved to the "Brig" location.

Support Crew

"Chief" Galen Tyrol (Engineering/2, Leadership/2, Politics/1)
    Maintenance Engineer -- During your turn, after you use a "Repair" Skill Card, you may take another action (once per turn).
    Blind Devotion -- Once per game, after cards have been added to a Skill Check (but before revealing them), you may choose a skill type. All cards of the chosen type are considered strength O.
    Reckless -- You hand limit is 8 (instead of 10).

Locations

GALACTICA
    Note: A character moving to Galactica from Colonial One or a piloted Viper must discard a skill card.

FTL Control
    Action: Jump the fleet if the jump preparation track is not in the red zone. Roll a die; if the result is 1-6, lose a number of population indicated on the fleet’s space on the jump preparation track.

Weapons Control
    Action: Attack one Cylon ships with Galactica. Roll 3-8 to hit a raider, 7-8 to hit a heavy raider, and 5-8 to hit a Basestar.

Command
    Action: Activate up to two unmanned vipers. An activation can be used to a.) launch a viper from either of the two launch zones, b.) move an unmanned viper to an adjacent space area, or c.) fire an unmanned viper’s weapons (3-8 to hit a raider, 7-8 to hit a heavy raider, 8 to hit a Basestar).

Communications
    Action: Look at the back of 2 civilian ships. You may then move them to adjacent area(s). Only the player taking the action may look at the back of the ships.

Admiral’s Quarters
    Action: Choose a character; then pass a Tactics/Leadership Skill Check of 7 to send him to the “Brig.” Characters in the “Brig” can only add 1 skill card to skill checks, and being in the Brig prevents a Cylon from doing any damage if he reveals himself.

Research Lab
    Action: Draw 1 engineering OR 1 tactics Skill card.

Hangar Deck
    Action: Launch yourself in a viper. You may then take 1 more action. You must be in the Hangar Deck to use a “Repair” skill card action on damaged Vipers.

Armory
    Action: Attack a centurion on the Boarding Party track (destroyed on roll of 7-8),

Sickbay
    You may only draw 1 Skill Card during the Receive Skills step of your turn. A character can (and should) move out of sickbay during the Movement step of his turn.

Brig
    You may not move, draw Crisis Cards, or add more than 1 card to skill checks.
    Action: Pass a Politics/Tactics Skill Check of 7 to move to any location.

COLONIAL ONE
    Note: A character moving to Colonial One from Galactica or a piloted Viper must discard a skill card.

Press Room
    Action: Draw 2 politics Skill Cards.

President’s Office
    Action: If you are President, draw 1 Quorum Card. You may then draw 1 additional Quorum Card or play 1 from your hand.

Administration
    Action: Choose a character; then pass a Politics/Leadership Skill Check of 5 to give him the President title. Revealed Cylons may not be given the President title.

CYLON LOCATIONS
    Note: These locations may only be used by a revealed Cylon player.

Caprica
    Action: Play your Super Crisis Card or draw 2 Crisis Cards, choose 1 to resolve, and discard the other. There are no Activate Cylon Ships or Prepare for Jump steps during this Crisis.

Cylon Fleet
    Action: Activate all Cylon ships of one type, or launch 2 raiders and 1 heavy raider from each basestar. Activating heavy raiders will advance the centurions one step on the boarding party track, even if there are no heavy raiders on the board.

Human Fleet
    Action: Look at any player’s hand, and steal 1 Skill Card (place it in your hand). Then roll a die, and if 5 or higher, damage Galactica.

Resurrection Ship
    Action: You may discard you Super Crisis Card to draw a new one. Then, if distance is 7 or less, give your unrevealed Loyalty Card(s) to any player.

Skills(The numbers in parentheses are the range of possible values of that card in a skill check)

Politics
    (1-2) Consolidate Power: Action: -- Draw 2 Skill Cards of any type, even outside skill set on Character Sheet.
    (3-5) Investigative Committee: Play before cards are added to skill check. All are played face up including from Destiny Deck.

Leadership
    (1-2) Executive Order: Action -- Choose another player who takes 2 actions, or moves and takes 1 action. Cannot use on a revealed Cylon or Sympathizer. Limit 1 per turn (Errata).
    (3-5) Declare Emergency: Use after skill check is totaled. Reduces difficulty by 2. Cannot reduce partial pass difficulty. Limit 1 per skill check.

Tactics
    (1-2) Launch Scout: Action: -- Can only use if there is an undamaged Raptor in the reserves. Roll die 3 or higher look at top Crisis or Destination Card and place on top or bottom of deck. Otherwise, destroy a Raptor and remove it from the game.
    (3-5) Strategic Planning: Play before a die roll to add 2 to result. Limit 1 per die roll.

Piloting
    (1-2) Evasive Maneuvers: Play after a Viper is attacked to reroll. If Viper is piloted subtract 2 from the new roll.
    (3-5) Maximum Firepower: Action: -- Play while piloting a Viper to attack up to 4 times.

Engineering
    (1-2) Repair: Action: -- Repair your current location, or if in the Hangar Deck repair up to 2 damaged Vipers.
    (3-5) Scientific Research: Play before any cards are added to a skill check. All Engineering cards count as positive strength.

Also, a set of rules specific for online play, also shamelessly ripped from SA(with some minor modifications).

Some things have been tweaked to help facilitate online play:

At the bottom of every GM post, there will be a helpful Action Queue that announces what we are waiting for to continue the game. This will usually be the current player's move/action, but could also include such things as a decision from the President/Admiral.

All game actions should be bolded in Mafia style (eg: ##move to Communications or ##use "Executive Order" on Helo).

All face-down cards, including Quorum Cards and Skill Cards will be delivered to the players via PM. If your draw is straightforward (eg: Adama) your cards will be auto-drawn for you at the beginning of your turn. Players with multi-skills (eg: Apollo) or abilities allowing them to draw cards (eg: Baltar) need to post in the thread what type of card they are drawing (eg: ##draw 1 Politics 1 Engineering). Discards are to be posted openly in the thread.

Skill Checks are handled slightly differently than in the regular rules. Players must announce the number of cards they are playing in the thread, then PM me the specific cards they are playing. This can be done in any order. Once everyone has PMed me, the check will be resolved.  Turn order per the official rules will be applied on any potentially game-ending skill checks, and may be invoked on skill checks from locations at the current player's discretion.  If we have too many issues with people waiting to see what other people do before playing, I may adjust this to enforce turn order at all times.  This will likely slow the game down considerably so please do not do this.

You may "pre-load" actions ahead of time; (eg: ##If my Viper is attacked, I'll use "Evasive Maneuvers".) This should be done via PM.

Players do not choose the order in which Cylon ships are activated, as in the normal rules. Instead, ships are activated starting from the leftmost sector and proceeding clockwise around Galactica.

In addition to the Secrecy Rules on p. 20 of the rulebook, these rules are specifically for online play:

Players may not edit their posts.

Players may not quote anything from PMs or IMs. This includes cards and messages from the mod.

DON'T EDIT YOUR POSTS

There will be no out of thread communication allowed except in an IRC room which I will set up prior to the game, and ONLY if all players and myself are at least idling in the room.  The idea is that all discussion should be open, every player must at least be able to see everything that's said even if they can't participate in the discussion at that time. 

Discards and cards played will be open in the thread, but per the rules players are not actually allowed to look at the discard piles.  This will be simulated by me occasionally editing posts and removing the discards/played cards.  I will leave them up for at least one turn so all players have a chance to see them.

I've had some people express interest in IRC, so I'll aim to start character choices after Christmas and actually start the game after the New Year.  We will be using the official character selection rules.  If I end up with more than five people I will randomly decide players, and I will also randomly decide the character selection/turn order.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:05:21 AM by Yakumo »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
We've got five people ready to go so it's time to get the character selection process going.  First things first, this is going to be the turn order for the game:

1. Nitori
2. Stelas
3. Lady Door
4. Sir Alex
5. AndrewRogue

Character selection is done in turn order.  We are using the official character selection rules, which means that there must be at least one Military Leader, Political Leader, and Pilot chosen before a player can choose a second from any of those categories.  The support character, Chief Tyrol, can be taken at any time.  If the players ahead of you haven't chosen yet or you're confused about what selections are allowed, feel free to put a list of choices in the order you would prefer them and I'll give you the highest legal character on your list.  Also, everyone except the first player chooses three cards from the set of skill cards they normally draw to start the game.  The first player will get their normal five card draw.  Please list what you want to draw for your starting hand along with your choice.

The characters are listed in the first quote box in the post just above this one.  If you want to look at the character cards, they can be found at this link.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:19:28 PM »
I'm gonna take Gaius Baltar he looks like a p. cool dude
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Stelas

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
Dibs on Karl "Hello Hello" Agathon.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 12:03:03 AM »
I call Lee "Apollo" Adama!

I assume we will tell you which cards we'd like after everyone has a character? (I don't know how it would matter, but the rules don't have it happening until pretty late in setup, and definitely after everyone has made their choice.)
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Stelas

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's your choice every single turn, actually, rather than a decision you make at the start of the game. It lets you fill in the gaps or else play around with better masking which cards are the ones you played - important if you end up rolling as Cylon.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:33:55 AM »
If you're talking about the three cards you get to start the game, I was suggesting putting them in now just because it would make things a little quicker on my end, though if you would prefer to wait so you know what cards the other players will have access to that's fine too.  If you're talking about Apollo's split draw, you pick that every turn.

Oh, I forgot to mention.  Apollo starts in space in a Viper fighter and you have to pick which of the two lower space sections to start in.  There will be enemy ships starting in the leftmost sector, and civilian ships starting in the rightmost sector.  Since the two paths from the enemies to the civvies are the same distance, they will default to going clockwise around the ship.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:43:05 AM by Yakumo »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:46:54 AM »
Kara "Starbucks Coffee Company" Thrace, and start me with 1 each of Tactics/Piloting/Engineering.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
I meant the three starting cards. I'll give it some thought tonight, because I have yet to really dig into the rules. <_<

As for where to start my Viper: Sector 5 (by the civilian ships).

Stelas

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 12:58:13 AM »
One card each from my available sets.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:52 AM »
"Chief" Galen Tyrol. 2 Engineering, 1 Politics.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 01:42:16 AM »
I'll take 1 Tactics, 1 Piloting, 1 Leadership.

Stelas

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
Hope you guys didn't need nukes first turn!

I would pay a lot of money to see a game fall over that fast.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 08:57:42 AM »
Didn't want to clutter the actual game thread so I'm posting this here. Just wanted to say I'm watching your game with great interest. I love the BSG board games with a passion so I'm curious to see how playing it over a forum turns out.