Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Game Thread  (Read 31591 times)

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Battlestar Galactica Game Thread
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:46:49 PM »

Kobol Objective in play.  As soon as you pass these distances for the first time, the following effects occur:

4: Sleeper Agent Phase
8: The next time the fleet jumps, the humans win the game(do not draw a destination card).

Turn 37

The investigations are begun but are unable to turn up any evidence implicating anyone.  The official statement is that the bomb was placed long before, while the Cylon agents were still on Galactica, and that there is nothing further to worry about.  This calms the civilians, for now.

----------
Politics/Leadership skill check, target=12

Cards Played:

3xPolitics-1 Consolidate Power
Politics-2 Consolidate Power
Politics-4 Investigative Committee
Leadership-2 Executive Order

Piloting-2 Evasive Maneuvers
Engineering-1 Repair

11-3=8 Partial Pass!  No Effect.

After Crisis: Heavy Raiders activate and move.  Jump Prep increases.

----------
Fleet Status

Distance Traveled: 9(Next jump wins!)

Food       03/08      Vipers         2 Active, 0 in Reserve, 4 Damaged
Fuel       01/08      Raptors        0 in Reserve.  Launch Scout and other effects which risk Raptors may no longer be used.
Morale     03/10      Jump Prep      4/5 (Can risk 3 Population)
Population 05/12      Cylon Boarding None

Galactica  (0 Damage)
FTL Control
Weapons Control
Command
Communications - Occupied by Gaius Baltar(Nitori) and Chief Tyrol(AndrewRogue)
Admiralfs Quarters
Research Lab
Hangar Deck
Armory
Sickbay - Occupied by President/Admiral Apollo(Lady Door)
Brig

Colonial One
Press Room
Presidentfs Office
Administration

Space

Cylon Locations
Caprica - Occupied by Starbuck(Sir Alex) and Helo(Stelas)
Cylon Fleet
Human Fleet
Resurrection Ship
----------

Turn Order(current player in bold, skill card hand size in parentheses, play order with checks starts with the player after the current player)

Nitori - Gaius Baltar(6)
Stelas - Karl "Helo" Agathon(6)
Lady Door - President Admiral Lee "Apollo" Adama(4)
Sir Alex - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace(5)
AndrewRogue - "Chief" Galen Tyrol(7)

----------

Action Queue

==> Stelas: Choose Draw
    Stelas: Move/Action
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:24:57 PM by Yakumo »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Game Thread(Don't post yet!)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
Since I know the board will be difficult to read and information about the characters and skill cards is important, I'm stealing a reference list from SA's BSG threads.

Characters(Information in parentheses are the decks they draw from and the number of cards from each deck.  If two decks are listed for one number, the player chooses which deck.)

Nitori:

Gaius Baltar (Politics/2, Leadership/1, Engineering/1)
    Delusional Intuition -- After you draw a Crisis Card, draw 1 Skill Card of your choice (it may be from outside your skill set).
    Cylon Detector -- Action: Once per game, you may look at all Loyalty Cards belonging to another player.
    Coward -- You start the game with 2 Loyalty Cards instead of 1.

Stelas:

Karl "Helo" Agathon (Leadership/2, Tactics/2, Piloting/1)
    ECO Officer -- During your turn, you may reroll a die that was just rolled (once per turn). You must use the new result.
    Moral Compass -- Once per game, after a player makes a choice on a Crisis Card, you may change it.
    Stranded -- Your character is not placed on the board at the start of the game. While not on the game board, you may not move, be moved, or take actions. At the start of your 2nd turn, place your character on the "Hangar Deck" location.

Lady Door:

Lee "Apollo" Adama (Piloting/2, Leadership/Politics/2, Tactics/1)
    Alert Viper Pilot -- When a viper is placed in a space area from the "Reserves", you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the "Brig".
    CAG -- Action: Once per game, you may activate up to 6 unmanned Vipers.
    Headstrong -- When you are forced to discard Skill Cards, you must discard randomly.

Sir Alex:

Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Tactics/2, Piloting/2, Leadership/Engineering/1)
    Expert Pilot -- When you start your turn piloting a Viper, you may take 2 Actions during your Action Step (instead of 1).
    Secret Destiny -- Once per game, immediately after a Crisis Card is revealed, discard it and draw a new one.
    Insubordinate -- When a player chooses you with the "Admiral's Quarters" location, reduce the difficulty by 3.

AndrewRogue:

"Chief" Galen Tyrol (Engineering/2, Leadership/2, Politics/1)
    Maintenance Engineer -- During your turn, after you use a "Repair" Skill Card, you may take another action (once per turn).
    Blind Devotion -- Once per game, after cards have been added to a Skill Check (but before revealing them), you may choose a skill type. All cards of the chosen type are considered strength O.
    Reckless -- You hand limit is 8 (instead of 10).

Locations

GALACTICA
    Note: A character moving to Galactica from Colonial One or a piloted Viper must discard a skill card.

FTL Control
    Action: Jump the fleet if the jump preparation track is not in the red zone. Roll a die; if the result is 1-6, lose a number of population indicated on the fleet’s space on the jump preparation track.

Weapons Control
    Action: Attack one Cylon ships with Galactica. Roll 3-8 to hit a raider, 7-8 to hit a heavy raider, and 5-8 to hit a Basestar.

Command
    Action: Activate up to two unmanned vipers. An activation can be used to a.) launch a viper from either of the two launch zones, b.) move an unmanned viper to an adjacent space area, or c.) fire an unmanned viper’s weapons (3-8 to hit a raider, 7-8 to hit a heavy raider, 8 to hit a Basestar).

Communications
    Action: Look at the back of 2 civilian ships. You may then move them to adjacent area(s). Only the player taking the action may look at the back of the ships.

Admiral’s Quarters
    Action: Choose a character; then pass a Tactics/Leadership Skill Check of 7 to send him to the “Brig.” Characters in the “Brig” can only add 1 skill card to skill checks, and being in the Brig prevents a Cylon from doing any damage if he reveals himself.

Research Lab
    Action: Draw 1 engineering OR 1 tactics Skill card.

Hangar Deck
    Action: Launch yourself in a viper. You may then take 1 more action. You must be in the Hangar Deck to use a “Repair” skill card action on damaged Vipers.

Armory
    Action: Attack a centurion on the Boarding Party track (destroyed on roll of 7-8),

Sickbay
    You may only draw 1 Skill Card during the Receive Skills step of your turn. A character can (and should) move out of sickbay during the Movement step of his turn.

Brig
    You may not move, draw Crisis Cards, or add more than 1 card to skill checks.
    Action: Pass a Politics/Tactics Skill Check of 7 to move to any location.

COLONIAL ONE
    Note: A character moving to Colonial One from Galactica or a piloted Viper must discard a skill card.

Press Room
    Action: Draw 2 politics Skill Cards.

President’s Office
    Action: If you are President, draw 1 Quorum Card. You may then draw 1 additional Quorum Card or play 1 from your hand.

Administration
    Action: Choose a character; then pass a Politics/Leadership Skill Check of 5 to give him the President title. Revealed Cylons may not be given the President title.

CYLON LOCATIONS
    Note: These locations may only be used by a revealed Cylon player.

Caprica
    Action: Play your Super Crisis Card or draw 2 Crisis Cards, choose 1 to resolve, and discard the other. There are no Activate Cylon Ships or Prepare for Jump steps during this Crisis.

Cylon Fleet
    Action: Activate all Cylon ships of one type, or launch 2 raiders and 1 heavy raider from each basestar. Activating heavy raiders will advance the centurions one step on the boarding party track, even if there are no heavy raiders on the board.

Human Fleet
    Action: Look at any player’s hand, and steal 1 Skill Card (place it in your hand). Then roll a die, and if 5 or higher, damage Galactica.

Resurrection Ship
    Action: You may discard you Super Crisis Card to draw a new one. Then, if distance is 7 or less, give your unrevealed Loyalty Card(s) to any player.

Skills(The numbers in parentheses are the range of possible values of that card in a skill check)

Politics
    (1-2) Consolidate Power: Action: -- Draw 2 Skill Cards of any type, even outside skill set on Character Sheet.
    (3-5) Investigative Committee: Play before cards are added to skill check. All are played face up including from Destiny Deck.

Leadership
    (1-2) Executive Order: Action -- Choose another player who takes 2 actions, or moves and takes 1 action. Cannot use on a revealed Cylon or Sympathizer. Limit 1 per turn (Errata).
    (3-5) Declare Emergency: Use after skill check is totaled. Reduces difficulty by 2. Cannot reduce partial pass difficulty. Limit 1 per skill check.

Tactics
    (1-2) Launch Scout: Action: -- Can only use if there is an undamaged Raptor in the reserves. Roll die 3 or higher look at top Crisis or Destination Card and place on top or bottom of deck. Otherwise, destroy a Raptor and remove it from the game.
    (3-5) Strategic Planning: Play before a die roll to add 2 to result. Limit 1 per die roll.

Piloting
    (1-2) Evasive Maneuvers: Play after a Viper is attacked to reroll. If Viper is piloted subtract 2 from the new roll.
    (3-5) Maximum Firepower: Action: -- Play while piloting a Viper to attack up to 4 times.

Engineering
    (1-2) Repair: Action: -- Repair your current location, or if in the Hangar Deck repair up to 2 damaged Vipers.
    (3-5) Scientific Research: Play before any cards are added to a skill check. All Engineering cards count as positive strength.

Also, a set of rules specific for online play, also shamelessly ripped from SA(with some minor modifications).

Some things have been tweaked to help facilitate online play:

At the bottom of every GM post, there will be a helpful Action Queue that announces what we are waiting for to continue the game. This will usually be the current player's move/action, but could also include such things as a decision from the President/Admiral.

All game actions should be bolded in Mafia style (eg: ##move to Communications or ##use "Executive Order" on Helo).

All face-down cards, including Quorum Cards and Skill Cards will be delivered to the players via PM. If your draw is straightforward (eg: Adama) your cards will be auto-drawn for you at the beginning of your turn. Players with multi-skills (eg: Apollo) or abilities allowing them to draw cards (eg: Baltar) need to post in the thread what type of card they are drawing (eg: ##draw 1 Politics 1 Engineering). Discards are to be posted openly in the thread.

Skill Checks are handled slightly differently than in the regular rules. Players must announce the number of cards they are playing in the thread, then PM me the specific cards they are playing. This can be done in any order. Once everyone has PMed me, the check will be resolved.  Turn order per the official rules will be applied on any potentially game-ending skill checks, and may be invoked on skill checks from locations at the current player's discretion.  If we have too many issues with people waiting to see what other people do before playing, I may adjust this to enforce turn order at all times.  This will likely slow the game down considerably so please do not do this.

You may "pre-load" actions ahead of time; (eg: If my Viper is attacked, I'll use "Evasive Maneuvers".) This should be done via PM.

Players do not choose the order in which Cylon ships are activated, as in the normal rules. Instead, ships are activated starting from the leftmost sector and proceeding clockwise around Galactica.

In addition to the Secrecy Rules on p. 20 of the rulebook, these rules are specifically for online play:

Players may not edit their posts.

Players may not quote anything from PMs or IMs. This includes cards and messages from the mod.

DON'T EDIT YOUR POSTS

There will be no out of thread communication allowed except in an IRC room which I will set up, and ONLY if either I am in the room, or all of the players are at least idling in the room.  The idea is that all discussion should be open, every player must at least be able to see everything that's said even if they can't participate in the discussion at that time. 

Discards and cards played will be open in the thread, but per the rules players are not actually allowed to look at the discard piles.  This will be simulated by me occasionally editing posts and removing the discards/played cards.  I will leave them up for at least one turn so all players have a chance to see them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:59:25 PM by Yakumo »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Game Thread(Don't post yet!)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:54:39 PM »
Welcome to Battlestar Galactica!  I hope you have fun running for your lives or exterminating fleshbags, whichever you happen to be going for. 

Remember, there may be zero, one, or two Cylons in the game prior to reaching distance 4.  After that is reached, the remaining loyalty cards will be dealt out, so both Cylon loyalty cards will be in play.

I will update the first post at the beginning of every turn, but I will not be posting the board in other update posts.  The text update will be in each turn's update as well as kept updated in the first post.

The IRC room for this game will be #BSGgame on Lunarnet.  For now feel free to talk in there openly as long as I'm in there, and I can copy and paste information to other players.  We'll figure out how that's going to work as we go, but I don't want to slow the game down too much by forcing everything to be in the thread.

Good luck!

Oh, by the way.  Please confirm that you have received a PM from me with your starting hand.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:01:49 PM by Yakumo »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Game Thread
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »
confirmed
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
Confirmed

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
Confirm

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:57:15 PM »
Confirmed.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Nitori

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
Move to Weapons Control
Fire on that Basestar
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
President Baltar decides to take matters into his own hands and opens fire on the Cylon Basestar.  Unfortunately, he has no idea how the weapon controls work and his shots fly harmlessly into deep space.

Die roll=2, Miss

Hoping to distract the president from the weapons console, an officer brings him a report of a nearby planet that may have Tylium, the resource they need to fuel the fleet. 

----------
Crisis: Scouting for Fuel

Current Player(Nitori) chooses:

Tactics/Piloting check; Target=12
Pass = +1 Fuel

Fail = -1 Fuel and destroy one Raptor

OR

Roll a die.  If 4 or lower, -1 Fuel

After Crisis: Activate Raiders, +1 Jump Prep

----------
Fleet Status

Food       08/08      Vipers         3 Active, 5 in Reserve, 0 Damaged
Fuel       08/08      Raptors        4 in Reserve
Morale     10/10      Jump Prep      1/5 (Cannot Jump)
Population 12/12      Cylon Boarding None

Galactica  (0 Damage)
FTL Control
Weapons Control - Occupied by President Baltar(Nitori)
Command
Communications
Admiral’s Quarters
Research Lab
Hangar Deck - Occupied by Starbuck(Sir Alex) and Chief Tyrol(AndrewRogue)
Armory
Sickbay
Brig

Colonial One
Press Room
President’s Office
Administration

Space - Occupied by Apollo(Lady Door)

Cylon Locations
Caprica
Cylon Fleet
Human Fleet
Resurrection Ship
----------

Action Queue

==> Nitori: Choose skill check or die roll

Since this is the first time a skill check has come up, quick explanation of the way I've written it up there.  The types of skill cards I've listed are the ones that count as positive for this check.  Any card type that is not listed counts as negative.  The target number is the total amount you need to reach in order to pass the skill check.  Hope that's clear enough.

Also, I realize that there are cards that can adjust die rolls.  I made an executive decision not to wait for them on this particular roll(mostly because I didn't think about it until after I made the Hatbot roll and it's too low to salvage. <_<).  For the future, if you want me to give people time to play a card that can adjust the die roll, say something suggesting that it be played.  If you don't say anything, I'll assume you don't care and will move right along.

Nitori

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
I use my ability to draw a Tactics card, and take the die roll.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:36:02 AM »
Turn 2

While the report does keep the President from pressing more random buttons, unfortunately the fleet spends just as much fuel on the way to the planet as they are able to pick up.  Also, while they were traveling, the fleet's leadership suddenly realized that their Admiral is nowhere to be found.

Die roll=5, no fuel lost.  Admiral Helo is not on the ship and cannot move/take an action.

Discreet searches for the Admiral's location begin, but there are other issues that also need to be dealt with.  Rumors about possible Cylons hiding on the ship are spreading like wildfire.  President Baltar's Cylon detector is nearing completion, however...

----------
Crisis: Cylon Screenings

Current player(Stelas) chooses:

Politics/Leadership check; Target=9
Pass = No Effect

Fail = -1 Morale and the current player looks at one random loyalty card belonging to the President or the Admiral.

OR

Each player discards 2 Skill Cards.

After Crisis: Activate Raiders, No Jump Prep.

----------
Fleet Status

Morale     10/10      Jump Prep      2/5 (Cannot Jump)

Galactica  (0 Damage)
FTL Control
Command
Communications
Admiral’s Quarters
Research Lab
Armory
Sickbay
Brig

Colonial One
Press Room
President’s Office
Administration

Cylon Locations
Caprica
Cylon Fleet
Human Fleet
Resurrection Ship
----------

Action Queue

==> Stelas: Choose skill check or discard

Stelas

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
I'd be significantly happier tossing two cards right now rather than digging into my Leadership and Politics cards. If there were a success attached to that check I'd care a lot more.

## Choose to Discard. Toss [redacted].
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:09:42 PM by Yakumo »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
Discards are made in the open, but will be redacted later as the rules prohibit searching the discard piles.

Stelas discarded [redacted].

Due to Apollo's drawback, Lady Door must discard at random.  She discards [redacted].

----------
Action Queue

==> Nitori, Sir Alex, AndrewRogue: Choose two cards to discard.
==> Lady Door: Choose your variable draw(2 Politics, 2 Leadership, or 1 of each)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:10:16 PM by Yakumo »

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »
## Draw 1 Politics, 1 Leadership

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
##Discard: [redacted]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:10:43 PM by Yakumo »

Nitori

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »
Discard [redacted]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:10:57 PM by Yakumo »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
##Discard: [redacted]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:11:13 PM by Yakumo »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 01:29:09 AM »
Turn 3

The leadership of the fleet work themselves to exhaustion, but they are able to calm the people's fears for the time being. 

----------
Fleet Status

Galactica  (0 Damage)
FTL Control
Command
Communications
Admiral’s Quarters
Research Lab
Armory
Sickbay
Brig

Colonial One
Press Room
President’s Office
Administration

Cylon Locations
Caprica
Cylon Fleet
Human Fleet
Resurrection Ship
----------

Action Queue

==> Lady Door: Move/Action

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 07:26:25 AM »
I am pretty sure that I can't do much that's useful other than parking my ass in the spot where I can catch enemy fleets before they do damage. So I'm going to go park my ass by the civvie fleet and ready my lasers.

## Move to quadrant with civvie ships (up right), then Pass Action

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
Turn 3

Apollo patrols the civilian fleet in order to protect them from raiders.  Unfortunately, he's carrying a little more equipment than he should be...

----------
Crisis: Terrorist Bomber

Leadership/Tactics check; Target=9
Pass - No Effect

Fail - -1 Morale and the current player is sent to Sickbay

After Crisis: Activate Heavy Raiders, +1 Jump Prep

----------
Fleet Status

Galactica  (0 Damage)
FTL Control
Command
Communications
Admiral’s Quarters
Research Lab
Armory
Sickbay
Brig

Colonial One
Press Room
President’s Office
Administration

Cylon Locations
Caprica
Cylon Fleet
Human Fleet
Resurrection Ship
----------

Action Queue

==> All Players: Skill Check

Two cards are added from the Destiny Deck

Remember, to play into a skill check, put the number of cards you are going to play in the thread, then send me a board PM with the exact cards.  Also, don't forget the secrecy rules.  You cannot say what type of skill card you're playing or what the strength on it is.  You can say things like "I can only help a little" or "I can cover most of this".  Also, for reference, if you fail this and Apollo goes to sickbay, the viper he's piloting goes into the reserves.

Stelas

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
I can help out, but it's not exactly going to be major.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 03:39:30 PM »
Well, I only have one card, so, uh  ## Skill Check: Play 1 card.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
.... actually I have horribly misread something and would like to humbly request permission to ## Take back and don't play that card.

(hey all engineering cards count as positive right guys?  it says so right there!  but I wonder what the second engineering card actually does?  ... oh.)

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
Since nobody else played based off your card, I'll allow it.  Watch what you're saying though, you're kinda breaking secrecy rules.  If it wasn't for the fact you could only have one type of card in your hand that would be too much information.

(for the record since I already removed the discards, the reason you guys can tell he has engineering left is that his initial three draws were tactics/piloting/engineering and his discards were tactics/piloting)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
Sorry, I am bad at everything!