Author Topic: Final Fantasy #-2's: The Battle of #2s!  (Read 6321 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy #-2's: The Battle of #2s!
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:54:38 AM »
No, I refuse to explain the title, its self explanatory...I think...if its not, you'll know what I'm talking about when I get there.  This is something I've been wanting to do, and annoy people with, and well...

IT WILL BE DONE IN MULTIPLE STEPS!!! Why?  Because its going to be bigger than other things, since there's a lot to discuss.  So...consider this somewhat of a sequel to the MEGA RANT of 3D ACtion Adventure games or something.  I mean, these games totally deserve the analysis right?

...don't that.

START RANT!!!!

Until 2003, there was a simple basic rule within the Final Fantasy series, that being all games are completely unrelated, and the only thing linking them was the name and a few recurring themes, items, songs, etc.  Ok, FF5 apparently had an OVA related to it, but that doesn’t count, nor does FF7’s cameos in things like FFT and Ergheiz.  Legitimately, the series went through 10 games and they were all completely unrelated to one another.  Then…Square-enix, or Squaresoft or whatever they were called at the time, decided to do something bold and ambitious; make the first true Final Fantasy sequel ever, and logically, to the newest game in the franchise at the time (FF10).  This of course got a lot of attention, and interest because something like this was never done before!  What was the game to be called?  Simply “Final Fantasy 10-2.”  Name sounds silly, but it’s that are a subtitle, and well…to be honest, I don’t know why they didn’t go with the subtitle route; maybe they felt it’d be confusing or something.

The game idea was simple.  Take FF10, set it two years in the future, and make it about Yuna and her adventures in Spira with Rikku, a character from the previous game, and Paine, an original character who…ok, I think she was made because they wanted an all female team, and couldn’t find a convincing way to get Lulu on a youthful escapade like this, so just made a new character because hey, why not introduce some new blood?  Sequels doing that is absolutely nothing new, after all.  That was the other ambitious thing FF10-2 had; an all female roster, something never before seen in an original game, big title like this. 

Ignoring the game’s qualities for a second, it was a huge success commercially, just based on these facets alone.  Sequel to a popular game, let alone a sequel no one expected, and an all female roster for an extra niche?  It’s no wonder the game sold really well.  Since FF10-2’s release, Square-enix decided that perhaps expanding other FF universes is a good idea…and by “other” I mean “Final Fantasy 7” as they announced Advent Children around the time of FF10-2’s release, as well as a lot of the Spin offs and uh, yeah, there were a lot of FF7 stuff! It didn’t end there, as FF12 got a Spin-off Sequel in Revenant Wings, and FF4 got a sequel in The After Years.  Yet, Final Fantasy 10-2 was the only “sequel” that was treated as such; only game called “Game-2”, only one that felt like it was actually trying to build off what the previous games had, rather than forcing new stuff that wasn’t there, not just rehashing the previous game’s plot points to make a “new” story, etc.  No, it actually felt like a genuine sequel, as opposed to “game with characters from the previous game!” 

…that is until very recently, when they released Final Fantasy 13-2.  Unlike FF10-2, this game was not nearly as successful.  The game wasn’t a failure by any means, make no mistake; it actually sold pretty well, just significantly worse than Mainstream titles, whereas FF10-2 actually sold comparably to the series standards at the time.  FF13-2 is very much the same as FF10-2 in its sequel approach, at its core, not just the game’s labeling.  Why didn’t it sell well?  No, it’s not because “FF13 sucks!”, but because of the time it was released  When FF10-2 came out, nothing like it had ever been done before, so of course it got a lot of attention.  FF13-2 came out, as I illustrated, FF spin offs based off mainstream titles has been done multiple times, and it was clear that these games were not as “high quality” per se as the mainstream titles, even the well-received ones like Crisis Core.  So it’s only natural people got leery about buying the game, as this game not only lacked the same AMBITIOUS GAME!!! Factor that FF10-2 had, but there was history of cheap FF spin offs in the 8~ years between the two games.  Why did I want to point this out?  Dunno, just felt like that was a way to introduce the two games we’ll be comparing:

AND

Yes, battle of the Final Fantasy #-2s!  Why am I not factoring in FF4TAY, Revenant Wings, or the FF7 Compilation?  I’ll explain in a later post as an aside to this rant as not to bog down details if people are actually curious.  For now, we’ll just say “because they aren’t Final Fantasy #-2’s!”  So how will I be comparing these?  Well, POINT BY POINT BY NONSENSE BY MEEPLETASTICNESS BY OTHER POINTS!  …basically like my other comparative rants (one of which was stupidly long, the other was…uhh…emo), mostly because I feel it keeps things easier to follow when we’re kept to a singular topic, as opposed to jumping around and losing people.  As such, lets get started with something useless just to get it out of the way!

BOX ARTS
…what? I said this category would be useless!  Ok, unlike Dirge of Cerberus vs. Shadow the Hedgehog, neither of these games have particularly stand out box-arts.  I guess the best way would be to compare them to their first games.
Looking at FF13-2’s is…pretty much exactly like FF13’s truth be told.  It is Lightning on the front in some pose in front of a white background.  The only difference is the outfit she’s wearing.  Its’ pretty much the most basic and bland cover art you can get in both games, though I suppose FF13-2’s point is “yes, Lightning is in this game, if you haven’t been watching the trailers making that blatantly obvious, and she’s a freaking Valkyrie.”  I feel like the game is basically saying “Hay gais, do u liek FF13? Den plae da sequel!!111!!”  so I guess it gets the point across but it’s a damned boring box to look at if you ask me.

FF10-2’s is a little better.  It shows our principle 3 protagonists, all close up shots, getting across “hey guys, this game is about a bunch of chicks looking pretty!” and with “Final Fantasy “in the title, we can easily deduce its “looking pretty while kicking ass.”  So its pretty much telling you exactly what the game is before you get it…more so than you realize though.  But compared to FF10’s Box art?  It’s kind of…uncaring.  It looks like a bland photoshopping of the 3 character faces and yeah.  Though it beats the crap out of most Modern Day Shooter Box Arts with “Random Soldier Guy in gritty colors in front of a boring background” …yes, Call of Duty, I’m totally sniping at you, DEAL WITH IT.  Yet, compare it to FF10’s box art for a second..the NA one anyway, because the Japanese one is just “the  title on it” but that seems to be the standard for like the entire series.

The box art for that game is a picture of Tidus, our protagonist, standing in the ocean, holding a neat looking sword, and we can even see the beach and everything in the background.  Furthermore, we can see nice attention to detail with the clouds, and maybe it’s just me, but it almost looks like the game’s logo is sort of flowing out of the clouds, giving it a nice illusion.  This may not be the best representation of the game, but it at least looks pretty, or shows an attempt at it.  It catches your attention and looks nice.  I can’t say FF10-2’s does quite the same, though the cover isn’t visually appalling or anything, just feels…lazily put together?”

…I don’t know where I’m going with this other than its clear the games are selling on the name alone.  With a name like “Final Fantasy” and tying it in with a mainstream title, I guess you don’t really need to put effort into box-art, so just “It doesn’t look ugly” is enough.

INTROS

Ok, so let’s get onto something that people might actually care about, that being how the game’s actually start.  I’m not going to touch upon how their predecessors start because that’s irrelevant here, though I might draw quick comparisons so I apologize ahead of time.  Anyway let us start with FF10-2 because 10 comes before 13 and well, IT ONLY MAKES SENSE!

FF10-2’s intro starts off with Yuna singing at a concert, while Rikku and Paine beat up guards, all while we get these Charlies Angel’s style intros.  So…ok, something I left out beforehand that I will touch upon lightly now and probably more heavily later on if I don’t forget is how FF10-2 before the game even came out was drawing parallels to “Charlies’ Angels”, given the game’s entire playable cast is young attractive females in sexy outfits.  At first this sounds like a bit of an over generalization tease but…when you get an intro like that, there’s really no chance in hell this was not intentional.  To the game’s credit this intro does give a sense of the developers just having fun.  I can respect that, even if I think the direction it took is a little questionable, but I digress.  To top it off, we have upbeat J-pop music in the background in the song “Real Emotion.”  Now, contrast this to FF10’s for a second, where it starts off in a big Blitz Ball match, a game that is pretty rough in nature, accompanied by the song Otherworld, a fierce, heavy metal rock song, that leads into the destruction of the city by a giant Godzilla Whale, and FF10-2’s tone is very clearly much different than FF10’s, in that it is much more playful and lighthearted.  This is something the intro has going for it as well, which is establishing its tone, how it’s different from FF10, though at the same time, keeping us reminded that this is still Spira.  How does it remind us its Spira?  Well apart from the characters, just the visual designs (the concert is in a Blitz Ball Dome, or at least looks like one), style of technology, fashion sense of the dancers (look like stylized Al Bhed), what have you, it’s all very fitting of Spira.

Though, all this kind of explodes in its face pretty fast when we learn that Yuna isn’t actually Yuna, but someone using this new plot device called a “Dressphere” to make herself look like Yuna, leading you to…fight Not!Yuna.  This then leads to random action and OH LOOK YUNA WITH GUNS!  Now yes, the game was pretty strongly advertised with “Yuna uses Guns” but still, that should have been an indicator for things to come later, as well as something else in the intro, namely Yuna’s line “Give. It. Back!”  This being “Yuna’s entire character from FF10 has been compromised.”  Why do I say this?

Well, first off, look at Yuna at the end of FF10.  She’s still a nice, gentle woman, and well, its hard to convince me this maiden who was basically Yevon’s equivalent of a priestess would suddenly learn how to use guns, unless this was some sort of self-parody.  I know the game is more light hearted, but that doesn’t mean it can’t take itself seriously.  Light Hearted =/= mockery, it just means the game is having fun and not trying to be dark and deep.  If they wanted to make Yuna look suitably badass, for example, a more appropriate would have been, say, some cool gymnastic martial art antics with a quarter-staff or something…but maybe that’s just me.  The other thing that stands out, as I said, si her line “Give. It. Back.”   What makes it stand out the most is right before this, Yuna and Rikku actually feel in character…ignoring the guns.  Rikku even calls Yuna “Yunie” as she did in FF10.  Then Yuna, with an almost “RAGE” voice says that line.  Yuna HAS gotten angry in FF10, but when she does, she didn’t sound anything like she did here.  This makes her sound vicious and threatening, almost as though they’re trying to sell us that “Yuna is more bad ass”, but that just means she’s out of character.  Trying to up badass levels of characters is fine, but there are ways to make them in character, and this was not one of them.  I know I’m going into details about this, but it really just stands out and is an indicator of things to come.

The intro ends by basically introducing the team’s rivals, who are the “Team Rocket” style of incompetent morons who are not actually evil, just kind of bad…and it ends with Yuna breaking into dance seemingly out of control, followed by a Yuna narrative.  Now, the narrative is an obvious throwback to FF10, where Tidus narrated the game, but here…well, I’ll cover that later.
So already in the intro, there is a sense of betrayal towards FF10.  Not in the light hearted nature, but the fact that they’re clearly trying to change Yuna into something she’s not, without a legitimate explanation.  People will say “oh, she’s been acting like a free bird for the past 2 years, cut her some slack!” but I’ll cover that when I get to actually talking about Yuna in detail.  Otherwise, it’s a stark contrast to the original game, which had an almost epic beginning and really got you hooked. This almost feels like a self-parody and a mockery, rather than light hearted once you look at it.

FF13-2, meanwhile, basically opens…very similar to how FF13 did, which is basically “Lightning is doing some awesome action stuff.”  The key difference?  Lightning isn’t just single handedly kicking everyone’s ass, but rather, is fighting a capable opponent in this new guy, Caius, who seems pretty clearly established as the primary antagonist from the get go.  Who is this Caius guy?  We’re not supposed to know, just that he’s strong enough to hold his own against Lightning, whose apparently some sort of “Warrior Goddess” now.  Also, takes place in Valhalla.  See, this here is sort of FF13-2 throwing a bunch of stuff that didn’t exist in FF13 right at you, sort of compromising the setting.  It can either confuse the hell out of you, or get you interested into how this all fits in with FF13’s setting.  Really, this entire sequence exists as half tutorial, and half “It is FF13 related, just sit back and enjoy the shiny…oh yeah, there are Quick Time Events.  No, they’re not really meaningful, but they’re there.”  It does introduce Noel as well, as this random kid that Lightning calls out too and uh, yeah, there’s a lot of moments in this opening where you’re probably thinking “Game, you better explain yourself.”  Though, at the same time, there’s a lot of turning your brain off because Lightning and Caius are hitting each other with everything, including FIGHTING UPSIDE BECAUSE WHY THE FUCK NOT?

After some more plot banter, we cut to Serah, sleeping, who is in her FF13 outfit still! Does she never change? Ignoring that, she’s apparently dreaming about something, oh shit her town is under attack, then her clothing changes, she meets Noel, they kill monsters, and YES YOUR MAIN CHARACTER IS SERAH AND THIS NEW KID YOU NEVER MET DEAL WITH IT.  This is a super abbreviated version, I know, the point is the game’s entire opening is basically nothing but action and just sort of saying “Lightning is a Valkyrie, Caius is the bad guy, Serah is your new protagonist, and we have this new kid you know nothing about.”  FF13-2’s intro sort of suggests it’s the same kind of EPIC!!! Tone FF13 had, being serious and explosive, though, which…I wouldn’t say is inaccurate, but kind of misleading?  It is hard to explain, because FF13-2 definitely comes off as more of an Adventure than FF13, if that makes sense.

When you look at these intros, FF13-2 definitely resembles FF13, but at the same time, something just feels different.  You can’t really put your finger on it beyond some of the obvious stuff (Valkyrie Lightning…), but you can definitely feel its attempts to preserve FF13, but also change it.  FF10-2’s intro, meanwhile, you get really nothing more than a sense of total change.  It tries to establish its identity as “this is not FF10, but we’re using its characters and setting anyway!”  This in a sense really is a precursor to how the two games treat each other, and treat their predecessors.  What is my point with all this? SUSPENSE FOR LATER IN THE RANT!!!! …yes, I’m a dick like that.   
With intros out of the way, its onto our next section…

PLOT

Now here’s the part I dread talking about…mostly because it involves talking about the heinous thing that is FF10-2’s plot and seriously, who WANTS to discuss that?  Don’t answer that.  Ok, to be fair, I am making it sound like this is Xenosaga 3 Disc 2 and FF10-2 is nowhere near that level, so lets just get that out of the way: FF10-2 has better plot than Xenosaga 3.  And better writing (at least…compared to its second half). And better characters.  And better gameplay…holy shit, is FF10-2 just flat out better than XS3 in every way?  What the fuck?  …ok, some exaggerations were involved there, and if anybody takes that seriously, I would recommend you go smack yourself in the face with a wrench, because you aren’t surviving this rant otherwise.

SO ABOUT FF10-2’S PLOT!  First off, I feel the need to bring up something that many Western Gamers have never seen: FF10 International’s bonus extended ending.  This is important because some of FF10-2’s shortcomings are related to this.  For the record, no I have not seen it, but I have read the script and I probably COULD youtube it but whatever, it’s not like a lot actually happens, and unless the tone is 100% different than what I expect, I feel that’s good enough.  In short, the bonus ending is about Yuna during the Eternal Calm, 2 years after FF10’s ending.  It mostly just shows she’s been living in Besaid, Lulu is pregnant with Wakka’s baby, and it talks about the current state of Spira.  We can see Yuna’s been living a humble life and she’s still been herself after her pilgrimage.  It ends with a VERY OBVIOUS TEASER for FF10-2 where we see the primary plot device that sparks FF10-2’s plot, the “Tidus?” Sphere, and Yuna running off with Rikku to join her on her quest to investigate this (with a crack about Yuna changing her outfit.)

Now, FF10-2 we know takes place 2 years after FF10, which means that FF10:I bonus ending and FF10-2 are not far off from one another, in terms of chronology.  This means Yuna could not have been a Sphere Hunter for all that long, as well as hasn’t known Paine for that long.  Keep all this in mind, especially when I deal with characters and setting, because it actually does kind of bite a lot of claims about the game in the ass.

Anyway, FF10-2’s story is…well, lets quote Spoony from his big review of the game:

“Take this one in which you play as a group of ditzy girls who dress like skanks who fly around the world murdering people for shiny balls that contain recordings with less worthwhile content than a video of Keyboard Cat.”

As cynical and caustic a critic he was in this review…he’s absolutely right about that being the plot structure of the game.  That said, honestly, fanservice aside (and the exaggeration of “murdering people”), it seems harmless enough; the Tidus Sphere (what I’ll be calling it from now on for simplicity) itself is mostly just an excuse to get Yuna out of Besaid and journeying again, though you need to then come up with a good excuse for a world bearing crisis.  Actually, maybe you don’t; the game could have just sold itself on a rivalry between the Gullwings (Yuna’s crew) and other Sphere Hunters, and sort of had a fun episodic adventure that way, and let the mystery sort of just unravel itself to whatever answer it is, be it disappointing or satisfying.  This also would have been a nice breath of fresh air, having a jRPG that does not have a major world shattering crisis.  The other thing is the tone and mood of the opening would have greatly supported this, as well as given a better sense of “this is not a serious epic story, it’s just a fun adventure, go nuts!” 

Sadly, somewhere down the line, FF10-2 felt it needed to pretend its FF10, though in a way that isn’t rehashing the plot.  So instead of the holy order being actually EVIL, we instead have 2 factions duking it out between New Yevon, led by Baralai, and Youth League, led by Meyvon Nooj (I apologize if I spell any of these names wrong).  How I feel about this angle overall, I’ll cover later in setting, as I feel it fits better there.  There’s also a 3rd, neutral group in the diggers, who mostly just exist for economic reasons, and don’t care much about politics of the scenario, hence why they do not get involved, but they’re clearly a big enough group that they COULD get involved...and they’re ran by Gippal.  So we have this conflict set up and…ok, that could work as a plot I guess.  I mean, have Yuna make decisions that she feels is best for Spira, help end this conflict in least bloody fashion possible, whatever.  And if you want a big awesome final boss, just say one of the groups is going a little too far, and unleashed some giant monster that Yuna and co. defeat, using some cheesy “we were only able to beat this because we set aside our differences and fought together!” or something.  This isn’t that hard, and have the Tidus Sphere plot just be something Yuna deals with on the side that she gets her answers to, and in some regard, the plot ultimately ends up BEING That way anyway, given what Vegnagun is, how it gets unleashed, how it’s taken down, etc.  Really, the Tidus Sphere did not need to be anything more than a catalyst to explain why Yuna started her adventures, and all we needed was an answer to the question “is that Tidus?  And if not, who is he?”

…except that it ends up being exactly what the story is about, and basically the primary focus.  See, roughly halfway into the game, we learn that Nooj, Gippal, and Baralai are all actually past friends and Nooj did something horrible 2 years prior at Project Mii’hen, which Paine was the 4th person in that quartet because…plot convenience so she can explain it later? 
And wouldn’t you know it; it has everything to do with the Tidus Sphere.  Before then, Yuna and co. saw the Sphere had him talking about some girl “Lenne” to some big armaggeddon weapon that happens to still be under Bevelle, which to be fair, they state later that it was created during the war 1000 years earlier, and was basically Bevelle’s Machina Answer to Sin that merely never got activated.  A simple explanation built upon what was established from FF10 which works in the game’s setting…the fact that something like this exists in FF10-2 PROVES the writers had some sense of competence and could have done good things, if you ask me.  The machina’s reveal is a little later on a different sphere, but why there are so many Spheres dedicated to Shuyin, who recorded them, etc. are all genuine plot holes the game never explains.  Whatever, that’s not what is important.

Wait, whose Shuyin?  Oh, he’s the Tidus look alike, which Yuna runs into, and Lenne was his girlfriend who happens to be the woman in the dress sphere Yuna uses to go Songstress…which is apparently the same Dress Sphere that Rikku and Paine use, beginning the question why they didn’t feel adverse side effects of Lenne’s memory the way Yuna did.  Furthermore, while Yuna “emulates” Lenne in that form, mostly through her outfit, how come she can’t literally TRANSFORM INTO LENNE the way Leblanc literally did that in the beginning of the game?  And believe me, I could go on about just how much is unexplained, poorly written, half assed, etc. with the whole Sphere nonsense, but I’ll spare you.  Really, Spoony did it far better than I ever could, and I don’t wanna just reiterate what he said.  This does lead into the main problem with the game’s plot, though…

The game’s plot structure.  FF10-2 does not flaw like a normal plot.  You randomly run around the world finding leads on Spheres, in hopes to find something useful, no way of knowing which one is useful and which ones aren’t.  There isn’t any real plot development in the game until the end of Chapter 2, when you finally see the scene between the 3 leaders, outside of a few teases with the Shuyin stuff.  Before then, it’s just girls being “ADVENTURE HO!!” This would be fine if FF10-2 didn’t try for a coherent linear plot, and just was random episodes.  FFTA2 did this afterall, just tossing in a few related events because the game needs to have an ending somewhere, but ultimately, FFTA2’s story was just “Luso’s Adventures in Ivalice!”  FF10-2 would have been fine in this regard, but it adds in a genuine linear plot halfway through, and said plot just sort of clashes with the nature of the game, and it takes a whole new serious tone…except still plays itself with the “tee-hee ^_^” mindset and…honestly, it’s like the game doesn’t even know what it wants anymore.  To add insult to injury, the game forces you to see a lot of the useless stuff like, say, CONCERT ON THE AIRSHIP! Instead of, say, Den of Woe, which is actually significant for clearing up plot details, which I should add is also one of the most annoying things to unlock.  I’m not sure where to place an idiotic thing like that, but since its directly related to plot, there’s no excuse.

I think CmdrKing, in brief talking to him about this (because I like making sure some of my points are sound), summed up FF10-2’s problems best when it comes to the overall plot.  I’ll just quote him as a result:

“The game is undoubtedly about Yuna, and thus the heart of the quest is intensely personal FOR yuna.  And they try to keep that connection but it just doesn't work.  Though really the trouble is that they try to have the new characters (Baralai, Nooj, and Gippal) be the focus of the main plot, to the exclusion of Yuna really, then still have it all tie in to the Tidus thing while ALSO not giving you vital details on the trio to make them functional characters.”

Pretty much explains everything!  I think I’ve said enough about FF10-2’s plot.  The rest I’ll cover with individual character explanations.  Which of course now means I get to talk about FF13-2’s Plot!

FF13-2 is actually very similar in some regards to FF10-2 in structure and what not.  Both games have our female protagonist learning that a character they think is dead might actually be alive and set off to find them, doing random odd jobs along the way.  FF13-2 is just a lot classier about how it handles it.  First off, Noel from the outset feels like he’s a significant part of this story, as opposed to Paine and Rikku who are just “kind of there to be partners.”  Noel definitely has some info that helps acknowledge what’s going on, and he even is quick to bring up these point as they become relevant.  Almost immediately, the game explains just what you’re doing and your ultimate goal:
Repair the timeline in order to eventually get Lightning back, by traveling through time and fixing “paradoxes” as we see them.  All the new terms are defined pretty quickly, such like a “Paradox” is anything found in one time period that shouldn’t be there.  What makes this work is how Noel is a character from the Future himself, so he knows of a lot of these historical events, thus is capable of figuring out anomalies.  Though, in fairness, after a point the situation is more like the two of them can figure out a paradox based on common sense, so Noel’s purpose in that regard is undermined.

The first thing you do have to question though is how FF13-2 makes any sort of sense in continuity with FF13’s ending however.  Lightning very clearly did not die in FF13’s ending, but FF13-2 claims Lightning was “still on Cocoon.”  It’s a blatant retcon and contradiction of the game…except that it’s also the entire point of the game.  The game makes a clear point that FF13’s ending is something that Serah specifically remembers, and that this is the TRUE timeline, and fixing the timeline to reach Lightning in Valhalla will restore that fate and ultimately save Noel’s bleak future as well.  The Time Travel factor is more a stylish touch as it’s not a plot device used as often, and FF13-2 has its own unique little rules, which leads into FF13-2’s core theme of “if you change the future, you change the past.”

Which is something I am reminded of regarding FF10-2; does the game even HAVE a theme? I guess it’s all about adventuring and having fun, but then the second half of the game kicks in and suddenly it has nothing to do with that.  There is this theme about moving on from your past, but then the ending literally spits in that face by giving Yuna the piece of her past she wanted back.  Maybe a story about Life since FF10 was all about Death to some degree…but if that was the case, they did a really poor job of actually emphasizing the values of life, as it basically is summed up in maybe one rant at the end of the game, and frankly, FF10 dealt more with “why life is good and meaningful!” far more than this game did.  In the end…FF10-2, YOU ARE CONFUSED.  Wait, I’m sorry, FF10-2’s theme is blatant and obvious, and can be summed up in one word:

FANSERVICE!!!!

Anyway, back to FF13-2!  The way FF13-2 is set up, this is very clearly Serah and Noel’s story (more so Serah, but there’s a very ‘Co-protagonist’ feel at times), and no one ever really feels like they’re stealing the spotlight from them.  In fact the only real new characters in the grand scheme of this game are Caius and Yeul, the effective antagonist and mysterious near-DiD level partner he has.  This is an advantage FF13-2 has on FF10-2, because with limiting the cast to mostly pre-existing characters, it doesn’t require giving too much time exploring the new characters, deviating from the fact that this is supposed to be about Serah, relative to FF10-2 which…well…see CK’s point above.   Now true, Caius does sort of ham it up a lot and become center stage when he’s on the screen plenty, but then, he’s the villain, this is kind of what they do.  You know, the “now that I am here, I WILL BE EVIL! AND RANTING! AND INTIMIDATING! AND EVIL! BECAUSE I AM AN IMPORTANT CHARACTER!”  Any villain that wants actual screen time will do this, frankly.  Well, ok, hamming it up isn’t a requirement, but Caius does sort of become the center of attention of every scene he’s in.  Contrast this to Nooj, Baralai and Gippal who are clearly intended to be secondary characters, but in many ways are the real focus of the story, and the only thing diverting you away from that is “They are not playable.”  Well, no, that’s not entirely fair, but I’ll get to that more later.

Overall, FF13-2’s plot is just time is getting screwed over, so Serah, who happens to be the sister of the main character from the previous game that somehow turned into a Valkyrie between games, and some kid from the future have to go around repairing it.  She runs into some resistance along the way, because well, you need a villain.  In the end, the game is very much about Serah, or at worst, she's playing a Co-protagonist role with Noel, which is fine seeing as the two of them are almost always together, so they tend to share screen time anyway.  It never feels like it diverts away from the duo, and it always feels like they're center to the plot, Serah more so than Noel.  This contrasts FF10-2 where there are many times that Yuna just feels like there to be the "undisputed good guy" because the Guy Trio of Friends are meant to be ambiguous and have no baring on FF10's plot, thus don't really tie the two games together well.   FF13-2 definitely knows who its heroes are, whose the central figure, who the villains are, etc.  It has clear distinction of whose who, and you never feel like the spotlight is being stolen by a secondary figure whose had barely any presence beforehand.  If nothing else, I feel this is what makes FF13-2's plot superior:

It has a stronger sense of identity.  It is very much about Serah (and arguably Noel's, though for these purposes, whether Serah is a "true" protagonist or Co-protagonist is irrelevant as I said), the characters have their clearly defined roles, and Serah's journey is explicitly stated from the outset what her purpose is, and she sticks to it the entire way (Fix the timeline in order to find her sister and her fiance.)  Oh sure, a lot of the quests have nothing to do with this, but you at least get a sense of "these are bumps along the road that Serah has to travel to reach her destination", contrast to FF10-2 where there's often little connection to each of the Gullwings actions in terms of Yuna's alleged journey to "Find the Truth" of the Tidus sphere.  FF10-2's plot has very little focus, and throws together a bunch of plot details that don't really mesh; FF13-2 feels more like an television series where there's a lot of filler that is loosely connected, but the core plot is still there and pops up on occasion when its relevant; the best parallel I can think of is something like Slayers...except far less silly.    FF10-2 is more like Spider-man 3 or Iron Man 2; it has a lot of different plotlines and doesn't know which is most important, thus sort of forces them all to be related in the very end, and what we're left with is a lot of underdeveloped roles.

So that's really all I have to say about the plot of both games...well, maybe I had more but didn't think of it.  I'll cover more shenanigans as I go on though.  What? Not satisfied?  TOUGH! I'm ending this section here and moving on because...uhh...SCIENCE!!!

------
Next Time On Meeple Rants:

Meeple analyzes one of the most heinous things to ever be seen in the Final Fantasy series.  A concept so horrible, it can only be summed up in one word:
Brother.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Final Fantasy #-2's: The Battle of #2s!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »
Put more clearly, FFX-2 biggest flaw is that it both tries to be a personal journey for Yuna and focus a lot of attention on her, but also be this silly sidestory in Spira with new characters, who both get more attention than Yuna in the plot but also don't get nearly enough attention to be interesting characters in themselves.
Well, actually the biggest flaw is that it tries to be two contradictory things in several different areas.  Personal character study of Yuna adjusting to the new Spira, story about a new group of characters.  Silly fanservice fun, deadly serious threat to the entire planet.

The other thought I had when Meeple prodded me about the game hasn't come up yet in the rant, so that's all for now.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:47:59 PM »
I apologize if it seems like I'm starting to rush things at the tail end of this section.  I kind of just wanted it over and done with because it was getting TOO DAMN BIG and I promise later sections won't be this way barring maybe one other later on.

Also, using visual aid here to break up the WALL OF TEXT some.  And for the record, FF13-2 pics being larger on average than FF10-2 ones has purely to do with how there seems to be an absolute lack of small sized FF13-2 pics around.  Yeah, I don't get it either...

CHARACTERS
So…as a natural extension from plot, we go to characters because it is all about writing.  I’ll be breaking this down character by character, because it is just easier that way.  As such, LETS GET STARTED WITH FF10-2!

Yuna: Ah, the head strong, soft spoken, gentle, mature if idealistic Summoner of the first game…my god what did they do to you?  Telling you now, this is going to be one of the longer character analyses!  Anyway, I’m willing to buy that her outfit is her just letting herself go and expressing herself, because whatever, that’s the least of her problems.  Yuna is basically a mere shell of what she once was.  Sure, she speaks in a similar tone, and has the same voice actress, and is the “nice girl” of the trio, but then that’s mostly because Paine is a bitch, and Rikku is…well, Rikku.  People have argued that “Don’t you see?  This is Yuna after Tidus has rubbed off on her!” to which I say bollocks, because Tidus’ influence would not cause Yuna to act this way.  Sure, maybe she’d be more outgoing, maybe she’d be easier to speak her mind, etc., but nothing about Tidus makes me think she’d say “Oh poopie!”  That line alone speaks heavily about the effort and thought put into establishing Yuna in the new setting.  And the thing is, it’s literally the word “poopie.”  Look, there’s a difference between “more outgoing” and “acting like you’re 10 years younger.”  Yuna was always mature, that one line is anything but that.  Furthermore, it came right after Yuna was going on about “What’s ours is ours! Let’s go!”  Again, that’s not outgoing, that’s Yuna being kind of greedy and bloodthirsty (…by her standards.)  Now, SUPPOSEDLY, immature acting from an adult woman is considered sexy in Japan, so maybe the “oh poopie” line is a literal translation of that, in an attempt to raise Yuna’s sex appeal by making her act that way too…that’s still really stupid even taking out the culture clash aspect.  Why?  Because it’s just further displaying how “Fanservice”  took priority over everything else in this game.

Anyway, back to my original problem with Yuna is how sudden the transformation is.  In FF10, we see she’s still the same person she was at the beginning of the game, just with an open mind (instead of being brainwashed, but that was more a Spira thing, rather than Yuna specifically), and even stronger backbone.  Then we have the FF10:I extended ending where, 2 years later, Yuna’s still acting the same way, for the most part.  Before someone says “source material stuff doesn’t matter”, remember this is from an actual released version of the game, and it leads directly into FF10-2, so it is hardly the same as saying “Ultimania claims this!”  FF10-2 we know takes 2 years after FF10, because the game plainly tells us.  This means there isn’t much of a gap between FF10-2 and the extended ending scene.  Yes I said this before, but now I explain why it is important!  That being any argument about Yuna changing personalities in the time jump between games just sort of dies here.  Given she couldn’t have been on the Gullwings for very long, we know her personality, mannerisms, etc. didn’t change over the course of two years of being a “Free Bird”, but rather, it happened in the course of like a month. 
She’s clearly inexperienced at the Sphere Hunter thing, which further illustrates that didn’t change her.  So what excuse can you use to change her personality?  The answer is simply “poor, half assed writing.”  You can come up with any plot explanation you want, but none of them really fit the game well, and it is all forced and inconsistent with her character.  It completely spits on what was established with her in FF10.  At the same time, they keep her external appearance the same that many would not notice just how out of character Yuna acts at time.

There are other instances besides “Oh poopie.”  As I said before, the “Give. It. Back.” Line right at the start is not something you expect Yuna to say.  Yuna is not filled with rage, and she does not have much of a temper; when she gets angry, she comes off as more emotional than pissed.  She’s not the kind to grit her teeth and give an “or else” kind of vibe.  That line as I believe I said felt like it existed to say “Yuna’s more hardcore now!  Awesome right?”  No, not really.  Yuna already had some really good moments in FF10, like completely talking down the Ronsos with nothing more than appealing to them logically.  Heck, Seymour was doing shit to her the entire game, and Yuna never once spoke out so viciously as she did to Le’blanc.  Look, Le’blanc stealing your identity is pretty bad, but when you compare it to the shit Yuna went through in FF10…or hell, just learning all the absolute garbage Yunalesca fed them at Zanarkand, I’m pretty sure that pales in comparison.

To further illustrate her out of characterness in one last example?  “I don’t like your plan.  It sucks.”  There are people who actually PRAISE this line because “OMG! It’s a tribute to what happened in FF10 and Yuna saying she’s not going to stand for it!”  Oh please, don’t give me that.  First off “It sucks” is not something Yuna would ever say.  Secondly, the entire speech is just awful because it is going on about things that were clearly NOT taken into account in FF10.  The entire speech is whining about a plan that WORKED PERFECTLY to prevent a far worse fate.  Sacrifices must be made; that’s what FF10 made clear.  To achieve something as big as they were striving for, something must be lost.  Furthermore, in FF10’s case, part of the point of the ending was the role reversal.  A large part of the game, Tidus is trying to figure a way to beat Sin without losing Yuna.  He absolutely forbids to go through with a plan that will have Yuna lose her life, to the point of whining like a little kid about it (he himself basically admits he’s acting childish here, so I’m not trying to take pot shots at Tidus), but when the alternative requires he die in her stead?  Beyond a disappointing sigh, he’s totally fine with it.  He’s totally cool with sacrificing himself to save Spira, and he isn’t even a citizen of Spira!  This is part of what makes FF10’s ending work.  In FF10-2’s case, the scenario is completely out of left field and “oh, it’d be fitting for Yuna to say ‘no’ to this plan!  SHE NEEDS TO HAVE A HEROIC SPEECH!”  I understand they wanted a big epic final boss, and the plan would have prevented that, so to that I simply say “why not just skip the plan entirely and just go with what you guys did?”  What did Nooj’s “I WILL SACRIFICE MYSELF!” accomplish if Yuna’s just going to say “sorry, no, that’s stupid” in a melodramatic fashion?  Especially since the plan Yuna comes up with is halfbaked and shaky, and only succeeds because “HEROES ALWAYS WIN!” </Snow Villers>, while Nooj’s sounded pretty fool proof, and he was a broken man to begin with, and there could have been a sense of atonement in his actions.  It’s like FF10-2 is spitting on the one attempt to develop one of their NEW characters by instead forcing out themes from FF10 to try and make Yuna sound more hardcore.  Also, this needs to be brought up, but “brings full circle from how she was willing to self sacrifice” claim?  Is not addressed at all, and is the one thing that could have maybe explained the speech well.  Don’t say “it is implied” because it is based heavily upon what they actually did do, not on options Yuna didn’t explore.  She never once says “I was willing to do the same as you were, thinking I had no choice, but then I realized that was wrong!  So what makes this case any different?”  In other words, what the scene is really trying to do is make us feel for Yuna’s loss for Tidus and nothing more.  That is literally her entire argument; “The people who should be here aren’t here!”  So the one point that allegedly makes this speech truly powerful is not even addressed, instead she focuses entirely on the useless things and her speech just comes off as being 100% wrong too, because the truth was, there was literally no other way to beat Yu Yevon.  The team DID explore every possible option, it was a given fact that “So long as Aeons exist, Sin exists, and so long as Sin exists, Yu Yevon cannot be killed.”  Also, again, Yuna had no clue that killing Yu Yevon would result in Tidus’ death until they were at a literal point of no return.  Oh, and the best part? “Plan B: LOVE!”  Seriously,  that’s a huge kick in the nuts.  You can’t take a game seriously when it tries to sell a “LOVE CONQUORS ALL!” solution to beating the big villain, when the theme of Love was NOT the primary focus of the game.  It not only is stupid relative to Nooj’s simple “Bait Shuyin into body, blow self up,take him down with me”, which ALSO prevents Vegnagun from awakening, but her plan requires beating the SIN LEVEL THREAT HEAD ON, then running in with a halfbaked plan she didn’t really put thought into.  I mean, had she arrived on the spot with a power dampener or knowledge of Vegnagun or something Nooj didn’t have, then her argument holds water.  As it stands, it is just PREACHING, nothing more.

The last thing I need to address with Yuna is her narrative.  Not quite a character thing, but don’t know where else to put this.  Yes, it is a follow up to FF10, I understand that.  The problem is it does absolutely nothing for us other than Yuna remind us of things that literally just happened, or go “Do you remember this?  Were you watching us?” Tidus’ narrative actually was quite nice, because it gave us a dual perspective with Tidus, in a sense, and there was the Flash Forward aspect.  We see the game both through the eyes of Tidus as they are happening, and the eyes of him reflecting on the events, taking into account the retrospective.  We can see Narrator Tidus is more grown up and understands a lot of things he didn’t before, and it gives us extra insight on the character, serving as somewhat of an inner monolog that we don’t get from the Tidus we’re playing as.  It helps contrast his character growth throughout, and works with the story, rather than feeling forced.  Yuna’s Narrative in FF10-2 does not have any of these advantages.  It is simply “we need the main character to narrate the game, so let is have her do so!”  The only time the Narrative actually felt appropriate was when she’s introducing the cast on the Celsius.  It is also worth noting how the narratives are structured.  Tidus’ narrative is talking literally to the player, or at least gives this illusion.  He’s telling us “his story”, which is appropriate given how he loves to say “This is my story.”  Yuna’s narrative, she’s clearly talking to Tidus in some sense, and as the player, you don’t feel as engaged in what Yuna is saying.  It adds nothing to the story, does not help further develop Yuna’s character, and basically just more padding.  It’s an example of “we used this in FF10, lets reuse this here!  PEOPLE WILL LOVE IT!”

The worst part about all this though?  Yuna is arguably the best character in the game.  Despite being poorly written, out of character, half assedly developed, etc., her competition is less than stellar, to say the least.  I’ll let you stomach that for a bit.

*5 minutes later*

NEXT CHARACTER!

Rikku: The other returning PC, Rikku doesn’t require much introduction…except sadly she does.  See, if Yuna’s a case of writing someone out of character running them, Rikku’s a case of writing them IN character and ruining them in-spite of this.  Rikku is not so much out of character as much as FF10-2 completely missed what made Rikku work in FF10.  In FF10, despite Rikku’s eccentric and immature personality (to be fair, she’s younger than the other characters), she never showed signs of being stupid or incompetent.  That’s something I liked about Rikku; hyperactive but clearly not the team moron.  She was an added perspective to the team, that being the Al Bhed one, and kind of a middle ground.  On one hand, we had Tidus who knows nothing about Spira, and thus can pick apart everything wrong with it; on the otherhand, we have the other characters who grew up with Yevon’s teachings and are somewhat brainwashed.  Rikku being Al Bhed knows Spira and Yevon rather well, but at the same time, isn’t brainwashed by them, instead follows the Al Bhed’s teachings, so she can relate with Tidus far better.  Combine that with Wakka, who is Rikku’s foil in the sense of  he’s the Zealot to Rikku’s Heathenistic ways, and we have a strong 3 person chemistry among them.  And THIS is what really made Rikku work in FF10:
An actual cast that complimented her character, letting her interact and do things besides “be hyperactive.”  She worked well at her role, and was a nice compliment to the cast.

If it’s not obvious, guess what FF10-2 lacks?  That’s right, characters that compliment Rikku.  While her character isn’t really changed, she lacks anyone for her personality to really bounce off of.  Instead, she’s just the “Hyper Happy Girl!” of the crew.  Yuna and Paine do nothing to really compliment this personality other than “be different.”  Why?  Well, for starters, Yuna, despite what I said earlier, is NOT outgoing much in this game, and Paine is your typical “emo” character.  So now Rikku is by far the most outspoken character.  In FF10, both Wakka and Tidus were outgoing characters, not afraid to speak their minds and converse a lot.  This is why Rikku worked with them; outgoing characters complimenting outgoing characters!  It lets actual conversations exist, and not just “Rikku says something, it’s happy and childish!” 

It doesn’t end there though.  Rikku is clearly an incompetent in this game.  She’s constantly messing up, does absolutely nothing worth noting plot other than “exist”, makes up words like Disasterific (which at the time, didn’t seem so bad, more just the writers having fun…), and don’t get me started on her battle quotes.  Before someone says “that’s the exact kind of stuff Rikku would say in battle!”, go back to FF10 and tell me if Rikku ever says anything on par with “Booboos be gone!”  It is pretty sad that having aged 2 years, Rikku lost about 5 in maturity.  As a result, Rikku has gone from a likable, fun, energetic girl to a massive annoying girl that you just want to strangle every time she opens her mouth.

For the record, pretty much all of Yuna’s out of character moments would have been very in character for Rikku.  That just helps display how off those moments of Yuna actually were, given Rikku’s personality is nothing like Yuna’s at all.  Also worth noting that her swimsuit in the “hot springs” scene actually covers more of her body than her normal clothes do.  I really shouldn’t have to explain what’s wrong with that.  Also, I don’t think I need to cover her outfit in this game because it SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

I’ll end with one last statement for Rikku: If there is ever a single aspect of FF10-2 that is a microcosm for everything that is wrong with this game, it is Rikku.  You can find a little bit of everything that FF10-2 screwed up in Rikku.

Paine: “Hey guys, I got a great idea for a character.  We take Squall, make him a chick, and then do nothing else with the character whatsoever!”  That’s pretty much exactly how Paine came to be.  First off, anyone who says she has a sense of depth is just looking for something that isn’t there.  Paine goes through no genuine development, her scenes regarding the event at Project Mii’hen offer no growth to her character, and are more a convenience for explaining Nooj, Gippal and Baralai.  She doesn’t really “open up” anymore in the game, partially because she was never really “closed” the way Squall was.  So in truth, she’s like a massively watered down female Squall.  Ignoring Disc 3 and 4 in FF8 for a moment, there was a clear evolution of Squall’s character from “wants nothing to do with anyone” to slowly coming out of his shell, and evolving into a head strong leader who isn’t afraid to actually talk to people.  I don’t get this with Paine, and there’s often indicators that she’s not shielded from others, just “doesn’t speak much because it makes her seem tougher.”  Classic example is “Give Me a Y!” “Give me an R!” “…give me a break…” (though I will admit that one is actually amusing because Paine was basically saying exactly what I’m sure a lot of players were thinking.)  The point is…she’s too “friendly” to actually pull off the introverted thing, and her very presence in the game is mostly because “they needed a 3rd female, and wanted to introduce a new character.”  This is exactly what happens when you introduce a new character and don’t put any effort into the actual development of this new character.

The thing that really hurts Paine is how her entire development, plot connection, etc. is found through optional spheres scattered about, and even with them, they don’t add much.  At best, they say “This is why she is the way she is”, and you just shrug and move on.  I’ll give credit to the Paine Sphere for being a moment of actual half decent writing among her and the trio, but her role in the Crimson Spheres is so pointless.  It basically just solidifies she was there, and it focuses very heavily on the other three.  It does not really give us much of snapshot of what kind of relationship she had with the trio other than “she was their friend.”  Yes, this section is relatively short compared to Yuna and Rikku, but remember that Paine lacks a first game to base things off of for starters, and when it comes down to it, there is just so much less with Paine’s character to talk about, which is pretty bad seeing as she’s sort of central to events that happened in the game’s backstory.

Brother: What’s to say about Brother other than WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING!?  Who seriously thought a guy whose entire character is being an over the top boss who lusts on his cousin, with the IQ of about 50, was a good idea?  Oh sure, he’s from FF10, but all he did there was pilot the ship, and speak Al Bhed.  The one scene where he DID speak in common tongue was actually kind of nice in that game, because it made the statement at least try to have meaning, and showed he cared.  He was a minor character (and an awesome Blitzball player) in the first game, and that’s all he needed to be.  FF10-2 decided to turn him into a consistent 2ndary plot player, the “Charlie” to the Gullwings’ Angels. I think they wanted him to be comic relief, but in the end, he’s just plain annoying and gives these constant ‘SHUT UP ALREADY” moments.  He’s basically the result of the game trying to be more “fun and light hearted” and thinking “cheap comedic relief” is enough.  I guess it could be in short doses…thing is Brother has way too many scenes, so he gets tiring…VERY FAST.

Buddy and Shinra: Not much to say on these two, they basically exist.  Buddy practically lacks a personality, and Shinra…well…”I’m just a kid” is basically everything he does.  Shinra of course was tossed in since Square-enix thought it’d be cool to have a legitimate linking of FF10 and FF7 like that (and yes, at least back then, Square-enix seriously tried to sell us on the connection between the two games.  One can hope they gave up and the connections are merely cute nods and nothing more.) 

Nooj: Leader of the Youth League, apparently he is “unkillable” but despite this has tried to get himself killed multiple times.  You really do not get a sense of this at all without the Crimson Spheres, as otherwise he just comes off as a rational, intelligent leader.  He was also the one that Shuyin possessed initially, but there really isn’t much that is done with this other than “tainted past” which they try to resolve by his “I will commit suicide and take out Shuyin with me.”  Of course, that plan never comes to pass because Yuna whined about it.  Nooj is a problem character because you need to devote a lot more time to make us actually care about him (and no, LeBlanc’s crush on him doesn’t count), and understand his motives.  Furthermore, the whole “He never dies thing!” is kind of brought up out of nowhere, like he was a famous hero of the past who joined the Crimson Squad but we  NEVER HEARD OF HIM BEFORE THIS.  He’s not a genuine character as a result, more just a shell that fills a void because we need that token “smart guy.”  I guess to be fair, a cute reversal thing is that despite being the oldest of the three, Nooj represents the “new” ways, leading the “Youth League.”  Honestly, there is a lot that could be done with Nooj, but FF10-2 was not a game designed around building his character, because it places too much emphasis on Yuna’s end, despite how Nooj is one of the real central figures in the plot. 

Baralai: The 2nd problem character, for the same reasons as Nooj, only there’s even less to his character.  He’s about keeping the values of Yevon that were good but then he gets possessed by Shuyin for the latter half of the game kind of loses all meaning.  See, when Nooj was possessed, at least Shuyin laid dorment and we met the real Nooj, such that it only awoken for one scene.  Baralai gets taken and never returns until the ending.  I think they were trying to have this angle of “Baralai has skeletons in his closet, like knowing about Vegnagun” and that’s why there was a boss fight with him, but there’s so little done with the character.  Oh, but we see he met Seymour and sort of became his pupil, so he was naturally kind of corrupt or something!  Yeah, sorry, you can’t cheap out an excuse for shady activities with a scene that exists for a pure cameo like that.  Again, like Nooj, Baralai is someone who needed actual time and effort put into him, and the game needed to focus on him a lot more than it does to justify his existence.  Sadly, again, FF10-2 thinks it is about Yuna, so all the focus is put on her instead of him, and his two buddies.

Gippal: Problem character #3.  His special sphere tells us nothing really about himself other than he met Auron, and didn’t give away his position to the Al Bhed.  Gippal’s role was clearly to be the neutral side of things; doesn’t care about the Youth League or New Yevon, just about his business as a digger.  It’s really just kind of a mess, and his entire connection to both characters is the Crimson Sphere nonsense.  One of his factors was that he’s an Al Bhed, so he has problems joining Yevon based groups, hence why he joined the Crimson Squad.  Sadly that’s really all we get out of him.  As a running trend with these three characters, again, he needed a lot more work and screen time put into him.  It can’t be stressed enough; FF10-2 sort of killed these characters potential by trying to sell us on “it is Yuna’s story.”

Lenne: Not really a character, more just a plot device.  As a result, there’s not much to say about her.  Mostly just mentioning her to acknowledge that I remember she existed, and because she’s important to the villain.

LeBlanc Trio: The Rivals of the mains who aren’t actually bad guys, they’re basically Team Rocket, except not nearly as amusing.  You fight them way too often in the first half of the game; I was reminded that you literally fight them 3 times in one dungeon, and the result is always the same.  We get it, they’re quirky, incompetent and are immoral relative to the team, but not actually bad guys, just rivals.  The game just does nothing with them beyond that other than the inevitable obvious “Team Up” later on.  Ok, they infiltrate the Celsius somehow because it has the security of a children’s Tree House, and steal the AWESOME SPHERE which one has to question why the Gullwings cared so much about it since they knew the info on that sphere wasn’t that-…you know, I should just stop, because now I’m analyzing a plot point that clearly had little thought put into it.

Shuyin: “Hey, you know what would be awesome? If Tidus was the MAIN VILLAIN of the game!” “That’s stupid…let’s instead make an EVIL Tidus whose not actually him but identical in every visual way and fights just like him, and has all the parallels!” “Ok, that works too! So what do we do?” “Give him a tragic backstory where he and his lover, who by the way is also a Summoner that happens to live in Yuna’s Dress Sphere, which Paine and Rikku never access despite using the same spheres, and then make up a new kind of ‘unsent’ that can possess people!”  I swear the meeting for creating Shuyin went something like this, because dear god is it such a stupid point.  Yes, he’s the answer to all the Tidus Sphere problems, but they handled it such stupid way.  He comes out of nowhere, talks about Lenne, apparently tried to use Vegnagun to destroy the world, then got killed alongside Lenne.  He fundamentally fails as a villain, because see, there’s a point where “going too far” means you lack sympathy for a character, and Shuyin definitely goes there.  They don’t play you up to hate him, they play him up to “Awww, he had a hard life, lets appeal to him!”  Then they give him limited amount of screen time, force his role into Crimson Squad and…well, shit, you know what the problem is? He’s a 3rd plot line forced into the story altogether.  Again, FF10-2 doesn’t know what it wants its plot to be. It can’t tell if it wants to be a YRP adventure story about Yuna “coming out”, if it wants to be about the conflict with the Crimson Squad, or if it’s meant to be a story about the Ghosts of Spira’s past coming back to haunt the work, and they need to resolve the issues (Shuyin being basically just an icon for that, which would be fine if they DEVELOPED HIM); so what does the story do? Combine all three!  Yeah, that’ll work well.  They didn’t even do a good job making Shuyin feel like a Tidus parallel who went down a dark route.  Oh sure, he was fighting for Lenne’s sake, like Tidus was for Yuna, and failed to save her and died in the process, but that’s kind of a surface level parallel, and nothing more.  We don’t know enough about Shuyin’s past other than being a Blitzball player who was in love with a famous singer who happened to be a Summoner, and during the war with Bevelle, he tried to steal their ultimate weapon, but Lenne tried to stop him and they both died.  Since then, he’s been vengeful for 1000 years until a random door got opened.  I know this sounds like it could work, but it’s so disjointed that…well, yeah, its FF10-2 doing its usual thing: Taking what could be a good idea and handling it such a halfassed way, any decency it could have had is just thrown away. 

One thing I didn’t talk about but deserves noting is Paine’s Sphere.  This is the kind of thing FF10-2 lacks pretty much the entire game, and again, illustrates there were competent people working on the game, just nowhere near enough effort or heart put into it.  Paine’s sphere is kind of a useless little moment in her life with the 3 guys on a ship, so why is this a good thing?  It is just a nice little moment of character interaction that has them all bouncing off each other.  With lines like Nooj saying “I’d work you all like dogs!” and everyone cracking up, it comes off as genuine chemistry, and actual interaction among friends.  Instead, though, FF10-2 thinks the better way to handle “character interaction” for most instances is stuff like, say, the Hot Spring scene where it’s just girls in swimsuits playing a splash war, because “oh look, they’re friends tee-hee ^_^.” They put a lot more emphasis on that kind of character interaction (the cheap “Oh look, they’re playing!” moments I mean), instead of giving us a sense of them being actual friends.  True, FF10 didn’t have a lot of those scenes either, but it also handled its serious plot with far more dignity that the characters felt a lot more organic and thus we didn’t need these kinds of scenes. FF10-2 is a game well suited for these brief instances, and it doesn’t take advantage of them at all.

So what about FF13-2?  Well, FF13-2 has an advantage of actually having a notably smaller core cast (roughly half that of FF10-2), and thus being able to just devote more time to everyone, as well as definitely having a better understand of what it wants to be.  That said, lets dig into the cast!

Serah: In FF13, Serah was mostly a backstory figure who “dies” early on and is the motivation behind Lightning and Snow’s actions, leading to them ultimately saving her.  So naturally, let’s turn her into the protagonist of this game!  It is a random decision but it actually was an interesting angle.  Serah’s important in FF13 in the same way Zack is in FF7, and we get decent amount of flashbacks with her to establish something of a personality, as well as her relationships with various characters, so she has some ground to work with.  FF13-2 deals more with trying flesh Serah out as a full character, by giving her own game.  Serah is handled actually fairly well considering, as she definitely feels consistent with her FF13 self, and the game even displays she’s not much of a fighter initially, but she wants to get stronger so she can find Lightning and Snow.  Right from the start, FF13-2 establishes all the important details about Serah that were not established in FF13, mainly the 3 year time gap.  She’s the only person who remembers FF13’s REAL ending, and is certain that is what happened, but all evidence says she’s wrong, she’s been living in New Bodhum this entire time, working as a School Teacher and her relationship with the children in New Bodhum even reflects this, and she’s been waiting patiently for Snow to return with good news about Lightning.  She’s been waiting patiently for 3 years, and naturally, finally something DIFFERENT happens and sounds like a lead to finding Lightning, so she naturally gets curious.  One interesting thing to note is that because she has an established lifestyle in New Bodhum, she’s initially reluctant to go, despite Noel insisting they’ll find her, but after encouragement from her friends, students, etc. that looking for Lightning is the right course of action, it makes sense she’d be willing to let go of it. 

From here, Serah remains a central figure for the entire game; at worst, she becomes a Co-Protagonist alongside Noel.  This is a big deal because unlike Yuna who never feels genuinely central, just sort of nosing her way into events, Serah feels like she’s actually moving the story along.  You’re not witnessing events from the sidelines then spontaneously intervening when a giant monster appears, but rather acting upon problems as they come along, and we see Serah slowly grow.  Furthermore, despite Serah being upgraded from “Damsel in Distress” to “Protagonist capable of defending herself”, they never tried to make her seem more hardcore the way Yuna does.  She keeps the same cheerful, optimistic expression the entire game, is generally nice and when she’s angry, it doesn’t come off as vicious like Yuna’s “Give it back” line.  It feels like a genuine extension of what we do know of Serah from FF13.

Also, this is a personal thing, but one thing I liked about Serah is how she is NOT defensive about everything.  For example, when Noel is ranting about how horrible a person Snow, her lover, is for being so reckless, her basic response can be summed up as “Yep, and that’s why I love him!”  She acknowledges that Snow is flawed, instead of trying to cover it up, and this gives a stronger sense of validity for their relationship.  She loves Snow, not only for his good qualities but for his flaws too.  Regarding Serah’s chemistry with Noel…I’ll cover that in his own section which is coming up…right now!

Noel: The other main character of FF13-2, and an original guy.  Noel comes from a completely opposite end of the spectrum than Serah.  He both knows more and less about the situation than Serah does.  He grew up in a destroyed world, knowing only the essentials for what it is to survive, as well as any folklore about the past.  It’s a nice contrast to Serah who, being someone from the past, either has never heard of a lot of Noel’s lores, or takes a lot of things for granted that Noel finds intriguing.  Take Cocoon, for example; to Serah, that was her home for 18 years, and now it’s a symbol of the events that transpired in FF13.  It is kind of just part of her life and taken for granted.  To Noel, Cocoon was a part of his history, and he could only picture what it was like, so finally being able to see the legendary Cocoon being held up by the Crystal Pillar was naturally a huge reality check moment for him, and “I’m actually in the past!”  Basically, the two come from completely different worlds, and they bounce off each other as a result.

One thing I liked about Noel from the get go is he’s pretty open about anything he knows.  He doesn’t keep secrets, and only reason he doesn’t say something is either because he didn’t remember it (I’ll cover the “Forgetting memories bit” later), or because it just wasn’t relevant until then.  He makes it pretty clear “ask me anything, I’ll answer it best to my knowledge”, so the basic assumption is that if Noel doesn’t say anything, it’s because Serah didn’t ask him.  He’s also pretty optimistic for someone who has every right to be afraid of people leaving him.  Remember, everyone he’s ever known literally died right in front of him, and he’s the last surviving human, so if anyone has a good reason to be worried about getting close to someone, it’s him.  Yet, he has no problems forming an immediate connection with Serah, and this leads to some nice chemistry between the two.  They really do bounce off each other well.

I know several people think Noel is bland and boring, and from the perspective of development, yeah he doesn’t get much, but he’s got a clearly defined personality and there’s definite motivation for his character.  He has kind of two foils in the game as well, one in Serah whose a foil in the sense of coming from a totally different world (Serah coming from the “beginning” and Noel comes from “The end”), and Caius who is basically the typical “Shonen Rival” style villain to Noel in this regard…we’ll get to him later of course!  He has a clearly defined past, and seeing what was essentially the “last day of his life” in the dream sequence I thought was a powerful moment for him.  Even when the only living humans are Yeul and Caius, he’s still got a cheerful disposition, despite there being a definite sense of depression.

Another thing Noel has going for him?  Knowing the outcome of everything is going to end with him as the last human means we don’t have to learn exact motivation of his actions, because they write themselves.  He knows everything is going to end horribly, and is going to do everything in his power to change it.  Yes, he’s naïve, but he is also kind of that “Adventurous Main Character” archetype though at least he has a legitimate reason to go on said adventure, more so than “ITS FUN!”  He has a mission to fulfill, and we have every reason to believe he’s fully serious about seeing it through to the end.  In some regard, he has both nothing to lose but his life, but at the same time, he has everything to lose if he fails…weird little paradox of time travel shenanigans there…but then isn’t that basically the very core plot element of FF13-2 <.<?

There is one thing that feels force, ill-used for significance, and that's Noel's lack of memory.  When it was happening, at first I thought it was Noel losing his memory because his past is being erased, and his existence too.  Serah being from before these events means she's unaffected, but Noel, being from the future, each event could conflict with his very existence.  Fair enough, but FF13-2 only kind of hints that this is what's going on, then the ending sort of says the complete opposite.  Noel's memory deteriorating, as a result, comes off as  forced plot device for why he isn't telling you everything.  As I said earlier, Noel makes it clear he's willing to tell Serah everything he knows, so how do you come up with an in-character way for him to go back on this? Convenient Memory Loss!  If he doesn't remember it, he can't tell you, so he's not going back on his word!  Kind of cheap because they went out of their way to avoid giving him amnesia, only to turn around and say "selective amnesia when it's convenient."  Honestly would have preferred Noel not bringing these things up simply because "Serah didn't ask him."

Alright, I’ll just bite and say it’s hard to really defend Noel beyond “Do you like him, yes or no?” As I said, there’s not a lot of development in him, so there’s a lot you can say about him.  His best quality is his chemistry with Serah, which honestly is more than you can say about FF10-2’s main PCs if you ask me, and beyond that, you just kind of like him or you don’t.

(Apologies for the weird face he's making in this pic; it was not intentional)
Hope: Ah, Hope…you can basically ignore whether you liked or hated him in FF13 because he’s practically a completely different in this game.   Sounds like a bad thing right, from a writing stand point?  Well, not really, because Hope has a legitimate excuse for this: He’s 10 years older.  To put it differently, look at yourself in High School.  Now compare that to yourself when you got out of college.  You’re going to have some notable changes in your personality, rationality, etc.  That is what happened with Hope here, obviously.  He went from being the 16 year old kid to a 26 year old adult and leader of the Academy.  By extension, when you think about it, this means Hope kind of RULES THE ENTIRE WORLD.  No, really, think about it. He’s director of the Academy, and the Academy is basically the closest thing FF13-2’s world has to a ruling government, so by extension, he’s basically PRESIDENT OF THE PLANET.  Anyway, Hope mostly exists as a plot device in this game, as the contact to the Academy, and being that “Smart Science Guy with a plan” doing things behind the scenes that is boring stuff. You’d suspect he was up to something if not for the fact that well, he’s Hope; you KNOW he’s a good guy and has the good intentions in heart, we just assume his stuff is boring and thus why it’s off screen.  Game uses some silly plot devices like HYPER TIME SLEEP or whatever to get him appearing in multiple eras, but honestly in a game like this, it’s hard to care.  His plans are mostly “save everyone by building a new Cocoon and find a way to restore Fang and Vanille.”  Yeah, there really isn’t much to talk about Hope for this reason, as he’s mostly the “Smart Science Guy” in the game, though this is by no means inconsistent with his FF13 self.  Different, sure, but that’s to be expected after 10 years of SCIENCE!!!

Alyssa: Now for an ORIGINAL NPC!  She’s sort of abruptly introduced and sort of helps Serah and Noel out because she just does.  Then becomes Hope’s side kick, and mostly there so you have two people to talk to, and is all happy and cheerful compared to Hope’s general more driven look (if he’s still clearly got somewhat of a smile on.)  I honestly don’t know what they were trying with Alyssa, truth be told.  She feels very incomplete.  Early on, she goes into details about how she dreams she and her best friend whose dead swapped places, then this never comes up again. The implication is that Alyssa actually did die in the real timeline, but the change in FF13-2’s timeline that the game is all about caused her to swap places with her best friend.  Later, she betrays the team with some trap set up by Caius, because she doesn’t want to stop existing herself.  Honestly, I think she’s just a poorly done character.  She’s a result of the changed timeline, sure, but the game isn’t really doing a good job at establishing this.  She’s someone who should have had a larger impact on the story outside of one trap set up by Caius that only gets really explained in an alternate ending (and even then, the reason why is kind of iffy.)  She’s definitely someone I wasn’t exactly fond of, and felt was just shoved in for the sake of “New NPC!”  The fact that the game basically writes her out of the continuity in the grand scheme of the events shows how meaningless she was actually was.

Snow: Another returning character, only this time he’s actually pretty much the same guy as he was in FF13.  Honestly, his role in this game mostly exists to give Serah a 2nd incentive outside of Lightning to go on her quest.  They do have what feels like an unresolved plot thread in the “he becomes a l’Cie! Again!” which kind of amounts to nothing as Serah’s actions sort of erase Snow’s existence in that era and uh, yeah, he’s mostly just there for the “OMG ITS SNOW!” factor.  Sure, he’s fun while he’s there, and it’s nice to see an actual scene with Serah and Snow together that ISN’T a flash back to help develop their relationship, but he’s not much beyond that.  I guess the way he contrasts Noel, in that the two are actually very similar in terms of their approach to things but Noel’s completely unable to recognize it (though Serah definitely does) despite acting completely differently and…look, its freaking Snow.  What else do you want me to say? …oh, right, forgot! HEROES NEVER BACK DOWN! STEELGUARD!!  There, happy?

Lightning: Last of the returning FF13ers who actually DO SOMETHING, Lightning mostly exists to be the game’s”Ace.”  She’s the super badass “better than the protagonists at everything” character who is NOT going to heroically save the day because of other factors.  She’s the first character we’re introduced too, being all awesome and such, then she disappears outside of a few narrative moments, only to appear in the end of the game and finally explain what the hell is going on.  There’s not much else to say about Lightning because she’s more of a macguffin for a large part of the game than an actual character, but what we see of her is consistent with her end FF13 self, so I guess props to that.  I feel the game went out of their way to insure Lightning was not the game’s protagonist, and wanted to make sure she wasn’t accidentally stealing the role from Serah, but at the same time, wanted her to stay relevant with the game as a whole, and this is kind where it ended up.  Not sure what to make of her, outside of “well, she is stylish” or something. 

Yeul: Another walking plot device of sorts, FF13-2 seems to like characters being less than characters and more convenient plot devices, doesn’t it?  Well, besides Serah and Noel.  Conceptually, Yeul could have been neat. A character who is forced into a constant cycle of death and reincarnation, who sees the future, and manages to be “different” on personal levels in each life time despite being pretty much the exact same person.  The problem?  We don’t meet any of the individual Yeuls in a scene more than twice, and most get shown once at best…and we only see so very few too.  Doesn’t help that her personality is basically unchanged each game, and she’s the “Soft spoken, stoicy, and intellectual” type.  I guess she’s got that “aww, I wanna protect her” woobie thing but really, she’s just there for the Noel/Caius nonsense, and so there could be a multiple era character whose not actively trying to kill you but MYSTERIOUS!!! At the same time.  A fine case of wasted potential if you ask me, also kind of gives Damsel in Distress vibes without actually being one of those (though It’s not because she’s competent, it’s because the nature of the villain kind of prevents her from being in those scenarios)

Mog: Yes, I’m talking about this late, why?  Because shut up, kupo!  Anyway, Mog is just there to be a 3rd character for the crew whose kind of an encyclopedia with a personality.  No, really, that’s what Mog is: The convenient referential guide book in the form of a floating cute thing with magic powers.  This is not necessarily a bad thing as Mog is kind of amusing, being funny and the fact that you get to throw him around like a ball to get objects while he’s complaining about it just adds to the hilarity.  So yeah, if you’re going to have a character who exists purely for information, you might as well make them funny, kupo!

Chocolina: Ok, if there ever was a case of a character made just because the designers wanted to cut loose and have fun and serves no other purpose other than to be silly, its Chocolina.  The plotless wonder who runs all the games shops and appears in every time era, and…you know, Chocolina is a thing that needs to be experienced.  She’s got a sense of amusement and works for lightening the mood, and in some cases, the fact that she horribly CLASHES WITH THE MOOD adds to the silliness.  The game did itself a favor in insuring she was just there for silly shop moments, and not being an actual plot figure.

Caius: You know, when I first saw Caius and heard his voice, and saw a lot of Dragon related stuff, I immediately thought he was an example of Nomura’s obsession with Kain.  Apparently, Nomura just designed the face and someone else designed the rest of his body, allegedly basing that off Leon from FF2, who is basically Proto-Kain!  I’m not sure how this is relevant to anything, but anyway, ONTO THE VILLAIN OF FF13-2!  Caius is someone who could have actually been good, but they screwed him up in a number of ways.  First off, things they get right about him?  Well for starter, Stage Presence.  When Caius appears, the tone of the scene changes completely, and its often accompanied by his theme song which is rather distinct and just sounds like an ominous villain music.  It is exactly what a villain like him should be, in that regard, and he plays this up well.  He also feels like a genuine threat, being shown as strong enough to hold his own against Valkyrie Lightning, and giving Noel and Serah a hard time (though, rarely are they completely outmatched.)  Basically anything that involves him from a design or presence stand point, he actually works well with.

His problems though, are his motives.  In short, he wants to destroy EVERYTHING, including time itself for the sake of one girl who is forced into a cycle of reincarnation.  Ok, I can understand obsession over Yeul; that’s legitimate, and could work as a villainous angle.  The problem is the game makes the stakes way too high for someone like that, and even tries to pretend “oh, he’s not really a bad guy, just misunderstood! Just stop him from succeeding at his motives!”  Seriously, it’s just asinine.  As far as I’m concerned, if “destroy everything” is the motive someone comes up with, the reason needs to be absolutely sold.  For example, Fou-lu’s ultimate goals are pretty excessive, but at least it was a logical progression towards that motive that we can sympathize and understand WHY he’s that way.  A simple “He’s been betrayed by humanity enough as is, therefore thinks Mortals are flawed evil beings that must be destroyed.”  Cliched concept, but the game goes out of its way to give us every reason to believe Fou-lu could come to that conclusion, even to the point of temporarily compromising his “Mortals are evil” beliefs only for it to be spat back in his face.  This is something that while we can’t really support, we can at least feel bad about what happens to him.  I cannot say the same about Caius; he strikes me as having some similarities to Sephiroth, once I thought about it, except for one major crucial detail that really changes the scenario:

Sephiroth is never once treated as someone you’re supposed to sympathize with.  The entire game makes it clear he’s despicable, evil person that needs to be stopped, and will even take pleasure out of torment too (he definitely gives a sense of having fun playing with Cloud’s mind.)  Yes, his backstory can be considered tragic, but at the same time you do get a sense of “everything is his fault, he’s not a victim of fate” so beyond morons who think making him TRAGIC SYMPATHETIC makes him have more depth, there's a clear sense that the game wants you to hate him, and continues on this note the entire way.  Caius doesn’t have this…or at least, the game tries to act like this.  Before someone argues that Caius was intended to be evil, this is actually something the scenario developer has spoken out about, and stated he didn’t want Caius to come off as a “Bad Guy”, but a bewildering one.   Well, ok, he’s bewildering but not in a good way; the game definitely makes him come off as “THIS GUY IS EVIL! STOP HIM BEFORE HIS EVIL PLAN IS UNDERWAY!”, but then goes “but he means well because he’s doing it for one girl!  Please pity him!”  THIS IS NOT A SYMPATHETIC VILLAIN.  This is a cop out for trying to add more depth to a bad guy than he actually has.  Furthermore, his primary goal being “save Yeul” doesn’t really save his character, but rather makes it that much more absurd.  “Save a character by destroying the world!” is never justified.  There’s so easy ways to just make him work as a generic world destroying villain from the Yeul thing.  Like just say something like “consistent failures of protecting Yeul throughout the ages made Caius lose his mind, and decide that if Yeul should perish, the entire world with her!”  Doesn’t make him good, but it doesn’t lead to a massively hypocritical stance either, and makes it clear what angle we’re supposed to look at Caius at (eg hate.)

Caius also has another missed opportunity thing, and that’s the fact that being immortal, we can see his presence in multiple time periods.  The problem is, he appears exactly the same in all time periods and it is like he’s been resigned to his fate for a while, and just waiting for the right moment.  Personally, they could have used this to display Caius’ progression from “Noble Guardian” to “Genocidal Zealot”, as meeting him in one of the earlier eras makes him come off as somewhat friendlier and nobler as a person, but as we get closer to that 500 AF moment, he clearly is compromising that factor.  That could have been a really interesting angle to work with given the nature of the character, but sadly, Caius is just treated as the game guy in all eras despite his “I am not the Caius you once knew” claims.

In the end…Caius has two different levels.  Stylistically, he works fine.  He’s got presence, threat, definitely plays a role in the plot, etc.  He’s got all the necessary attributes for being a genuine character.  Once you start looking into depth, though, Caius just really starts falling on his face and begs the question of how the developers thought this could work.  The game does do a decent job of making it clear he cares for Yeul, but the angle in which they used this as a motive just kind of clashes with the way he acts the rest of the game.
Gonna say this now, compared to Shuyin, I’ll give Caius the nod over him, but only because Caius has actual presence and succeeds on SOME merits as a villain.  Shuyin is more of a plot device whose motives could actually work if they, you know, bothered to give him screen time, but it’s clear they couldn’t be bothered to actually develop him.  Basically, Caius gets points for effort.

Overall, FF13-2 definitely feels like it tried harder with the cast.  Each character has at least something above a surface level personality, and their main plot points are discussed in the primary story (as opposed to missable side stories.)  The primary advantage FF13-2 has on FF10-2 is being able to keep a clear head in that the story is about Noel and Serah trying to fix time, and Caius is the ultimate complication in the mix.  It knows what it wants, and is able to keep itself focused, and deviations from this are treated exactly as that; deviations.  It does not come off as 3 completely different stories that somehow got merged into one to make everything seem relevant.  FF13-2’s cast is not a strong cast by any means; again, look at how there are several “walking plot device” style characters, and the issue of Caius working well stylistically, but failing on any sort of substance, it is hard to say this cast is actually good.  To its credit, none of the characters do actively annoy, but then having no one really comparable to Brother or Rikku does that…outside of Chocolina…whose not actually plot relevant anyway (or perhaps, the TRUE hero (Villain?) of the game.)  In FF13-2’s case, I feel like it was more a budget thing than a lack of care thing.  They clearly didn’t have the resources they had in FF13, and had to get as much in with what they could, whereas in FF10-2 it comes off as “ok, we got the idea, put it into the game.  I don’t care how, just do it.”

------
Meeple analyzes a section of the game that most people actually agree upon for FF10-2…and in a POSITIVE way at that!  Also FF13-2 gets discussed <_<
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:28:55 PM by Meeplelard »

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »
Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying your write-ups and analysis. Very well written and interesting stuff. I probably enjoyed FF10-2 more than you did, and there's certainly a few things I disagree about here and there, but I'd be blind if I didn't see any blatant flaws with it, haha. Still, the original FF10 is, to this day, one of my favourite games ever, and reading this just gives me more to muse about. I actually haven't even played FF13, and the FF13-2 stuff was kind of interesting anyways.

Thanks for writing this, and I'm looking forward to seeing more!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:25:04 PM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:24:11 AM »
SETTING

Comparing settings is normally harder to do with two games outside of how well established it is.  A simple case of what I mean is Shadow Hearts Asia vs. Shadow Hearts Europe, where I feel the former did a decent job of establishing itself while the latter was just a generic RPG with a 1915 Europe Paint Job.   When it comes to these the two games in this topic though, it’s easier for one simple reason:

The settings were already established in the previous game.  As a result, we need to look at more things like consistency, how logical a progression the setting takes based on the ending of the previous game, what new factors were added in and how well they mesh with the game at hand.  I’m taking more this angle because I feel that’s a fairer way to assess these two, rather than simply looking at the setting on it’s own merits; I feel that was the previous game’s purpose in both cases, and both games have to work with what is already there.
So before we get into that, let’s take a brief look at FF10 and FF13’s setting.  FF10’s Spira is very well established if you ask me.  They make it clear what kind of lifestyle the people had for 1000 years, establish what kind of races exist in that world (…though, I still question why Hypello exist.  Those seem out of place…), and even where they live (eg Ronsos on Mt. Gagazet.)  We even learn about the unique laws of the world, like pyreflies, the farplane as the game’s version of an afterlife, and even an in-game explanation for monsters, something rarely seen in RPGs, with a consistent term used for them in “Fiends.”  I wouldn’t say FF10 is perfect at setting, because well, nothing is perfect, but it pretty much sets out to do everything it needs to in order to establish Spira, and everything in it.  There’s some weird stuff, sure, but the game at least keeps itself consistent within the rules it’s established and some of it can be explained by “it’s a fantasy world, throw your science logic out please, as this game plays by it’s own rules.”
FF13’s Cocoon and Pulse, by comparison, aren’t as well developed if you ask me.  Now, I won’t say they’re truly bad, as FF13 does get a lot of points across, especially if you read the Datalog entries (which can be considered a flaw in itself, but that’s not a setting related one), just I don’t feel they were quite as well done as FF10.  For example, the Fal’cie, where do they come from and how were they created?  The game doesn’t explain this at all, I believe; I found an explanation on Wikipedia related 3 Gods and Etro and all that, but I don’t remember this being brought up in FF13 at all, and strikes me as source material stuff for the Fabula Nova Crystallus (or however it’s spelled.)   Contrast this to FF10 where the game explains where the Aeons come from, how they are created, etc. and you’ll see what I mean.
I could go on about comparing FF10 to FF13 here, but that’s not what I’m here to do.  That’s a different rant which I likely will never do, so don’t hold your breath.  Anyway,  we’re talking about the sequels, and I feel it is necessary to just briefly go over the predecessors!  Worth noting that both games end in a manner where the characters are left with a drastic setting change to what they’re use to, between basically the entire foundation of Spira Society being destroyed is gone, and those from Cocoon having to adapt to Pulse, two polar opposite “Worlds.”  So speaking of the sequels, how do they do them?

I know what you’re thinking: Here comes FF10-2 and Meeple’s going to bash it, the biased jerk!  Thing is?  FF10-2 actually does a pretty good job at the setting thing.  It shows that the developers did look at Spira and say “ok, 1000 year old society have been destroyed, how is the world going to adapt?”  and did it well.  The fact that Spira is basically in an anarchic state, with no central ruler, just two political factions fits rather well, between those that think that Yevon’s teachings are needed to keep order, but slowly loosen up on them over time (aka New Yevon) and those that think Yevon should be entirely forgotten because it’s evil (Youth League.)  There’s a lot more technology being used and people don’t feel guilty about using it, Blitz Ball is still around, and Temples are mostly just with-held because they’re historical monuments, rather than actual religious reasons.  Heck, Zanarkand being a major tourist attraction is a nice contrast relative to the “promised land” it once was.

Furthermore, the areas look like they did in FF10.  True, this could just be laziness of the developers, but it keeps the areas recognizable at least and able to establish that it’s Besaid or whatever.  Areas that should look different, such as Kilika, are also restored relative to its ruined FF10 self.  Even stuff like the Guado being ostracized (is that the right word?) due to Seymour’s ways combined with the general tension the Guado and the rest of Spira had just fits, though I question Seymour’s Chateau being transformed into Le’blanc’s personal love pen but I think it’s best we never question anything Le’blanc does.

So what of elements added to FF10’s setting from FF10-2?  Well, for the most part, it does not really add that much, mostly an extension of what FF10 left off, which is fine, because the path it follows is logical.  It does however help us understand more of what happened in the war of Bevelle and Zanarkand.  FF10 just gave us a brief explanation of the events; a case of “not going to tell you more than you need to know” which helps FF10-2 as it means more freedom for those events.  The existence of Vegnagun, for example, actually fits pretty logically due to the fact, as I might have mentioned before, if Zanarkand can create monsters like Sin, who is to say Bevelle’s Machina wouldn’t have progressed to create something as dangerous?  The explanation for why Bevelle never used it is fairly logical too; they tried to use it, realized how dangerous it was, and simply turning the thing off was dangerous, and felt it was best it was never brought up again.  Go figure though, if the team discovered Vegnagun in FF10, there’s that chance they may have unleashed it on Sin and uh…yeah, “what ifs” never go anywhere.

To be frank, if there’s one area FF10-2 genuinely succeeded in, it’s setting.  It is easy to miss this because in most other writing related areas, it falls short to various to degrees, it actually nails setting pretty well.  It shows that there were competent people working on FF10-2, and that the game wasn’t flawed from a conceptual stand-point per se.  Now yes, FF10-2’s setting isn’t perfect, but most of the flaws are pretty minor nitpicks that I’ll spare you with, because overall, it got the job done.

There are a few things about FF10-2’s setting that I do not like and that’s the sudden introduction of the “Shadow” concept which applies to Shuyin.  You would think that if something like that could exist, it’d have existed in other forms throughout Spira, and some random Blitz Ball player being the only one to achieve that feels off.  It actually sort of spits in the face of the nature of the Farplane, Pyreflies, etc.  and begs the simple question of “Why didn’t he just become a simple unsent?”  The game does not give a legitimate explanation for this, just “HIS SORROW STILL REMAINED!” or whatever.  Yes, ok, but didn’t FF10 show that happening with other characters, like Jiscal, and they became…unsent?  The only logical point that could have made it fit is if they said Shuyin was sent but somehow denied his own sending and even that would feel forced.  Oh, and the Aeons coming back without even having a legitimate explanation.  That’s also kind of really dumb.  FF10 gives us exact details what the Aeons are, the nature of the Fayth, etc., and FF10-2 just goes “nah, they’re back because they said they’re back.”  You can’t just do that guys; if you’re going to reverse a major plot point at the end of the first game, you kind of need a legitimate explanation.

FF13-2 is…harder to compare directly, for one simple reason: Time Travel.  Due to this little factor, you kind of have to look at FF13-2 from multiple facets, per se, so we’ll start with something logical: 003 AF, Serah’s hometime.

This is the only part of Serah’s time we actually see, though we do see 005 AF and 010 AF which are close enough that I’ll be looking at them through a similar lens.  Anyway, we see Serah living on Pulse in New Bodhum, which is run by NORA…nothing too odd here.  It shows the characters adapting to the autonomous lifestyle instead of the pampered one built by the Fal’cie, and statements by the narrator like “giving up the easy lifestyle” it’s clear that life on Pulse is harder than it was on Cocoon, but it’s not necessarily worse, as now people aren’t living in fear of being turned into l’Cie, nor is the Pulse/Cocoon conflict actually a thing at all.  The game also strongly suggests (and later confirms) that Fal’Cie have basically taken a backseat and are leaving humans alone, and l’Cie are pretty much non-existent, though there are still Cieth running around.  Furthermore, 005 and 010 AF both establish the existence of the Academy, though here it is more of an organization that is building up.  This is where I highlight that the Academy in most settings would be likely something evil, but by putting Hope as the Leader, it gets the point across quickly that it is benevolent and not something to worry about, but on the contrary, something to support.

One thing I think the game did sort of derp on is the Farseer thing.  See, part of what makes it hard to stomach is that FF13 implied that all the citizens of Gran Pulse died, and FF13-2 gives the explanation of a combination of fighting amongst themselves and Fal’Cie interfering, ultimately leading to all of them dying or being turned into Cieth caused civilization to kind of cease entirely.  The existence of the Farseers sort of contradict this, and feel kind of forced into the setting.  Ok, understandable there’s a nomadic tribe on Gran Pulse with a mystical female, but it does feel kind of out of the blue and just a cheap excuse to introduce us to Yeul and Caius.

Then there’s the Valhalla nonsense, which more stems from the fact that we don’t know a lot about FF13’s mythology, and thus feels like they’re sort of winging everything to fill the gaps.  FF10 didn’t have that problem…or perhaps, FF10-2 was not capable of taking such liberties, and generally avoided it.  FF13-2 just starts with the Chaos, Etro, etc. nonsense, and while from my understanding there is stuff in the FNC explaining this, I maintain that this sort of integral information should have been there from the outset, even if just a Datalog entry like “The Myth of Pulse” or some such.

Straying away from that, we jump forward to a future era!  Before I do that, I will note that most of the areas before 400 AF are kind of just reusing areas where they don’t have to change the setting (like Sunleth) because it lacks civilization so no need to worry about changes in technology, trends, what have you.  At the same time, I feel this is kind of a cheat.  Look at Chrono Trigger, for a second, we see all the (relevant) eras in their entirety to a degree.  Here, they sort of gloss over them, using areas we’ve seen from the previous game.  Anyway, onto 400 AF (and 4XX AF by extension), because there’s something to actually gauge here!

400 AF is at night time because it’s meant to look bad while 4XX AF is at day time because it’s meant to be the “Good” future.  One is ruled by the Proto Fal’Cie, which is more of a really large dungeon, the other is more like a conventional RPG town with NPCs and people walking around.  I guess it gets the point across pretty well doing it this way, where 400 AF is covered in Cieth and they’re spawning left and right, though there really isn’t much to say beyond that.  4XX AF, there’s at least something to talk about!  First off, and this applies to both actually, they get the point across that “hey 400 years in the future and technology is booming!” though hard to say if it’s really any more advanced than FF13.  I guess you can say that by FF13’s level of technology, and with civilization having to sort of rebuild itself back at the end of FF13 without the help of the Fal’Cie, you just sort of shrug and say “anything goes.”  Now, the NPCs here do dress exactly like NPCs do in FF13 and the earlier eras, which is naturally just laziness of making new skins, though, the game at least tries to justify it saying “hey, older fashion trends at in style now!”  Cheap, but it works to some degree and acknowledges the similarity rather than hoping no one notices.  Academia doe feel like a lively town, with people talking about various useless things to help get the point across that there’s nothing big going on, though a lot of it is related to the Academy, but then the Academy is kind of the center of the world.  Beyond that, I can’t really say that Academia stands out much.  It gets its job done, but I wouldn’t say in any sort of stand out way.  So why is it hated so?  That would be because it is a cramped, overly large area with convoluted nonsense that-…wait, this isn’t the section for that!

The last era I’m going to cover is 700 AF, because I feel that’s the last big one.  Yes, there is the ??? AF showing some Gran Pulse lifestyles but there’s nothing there that we didn’t kind of already know, beyond some minor details, but I digress, onto 700 AF!  It’s a completely destroyed world that is desolate of anything that isn’t monsters or Chocobos.  What makes the contrast work is this is the only other part of the game we see New Bodhum in.  New Bodhum in 003 AF is small but thriving town, with definitely a very pleasant look to it, and even the area outside where monsters roam has a very nice lush feel to it.  To see it as a dead, desolate area where there is nothing, complete with Cocoon crashed down in the background just is a great contrast to this.  Combine this with how “Dying World” is some area we’ve never been and looks basically exactly the same as New Bodhum, it gets the point across that the entire world is like this, not just a few areas.  There’s another thing that really sells the state of the world, but I’m going to hold off on that until…screw it, the next section is going to be about that! NICE SEGUE OR SOMETHING! …except I’m about to interrupt it, because I need a concluding piece.

So in short, FF13-2’s setting feels adequate, but I wouldn’t say it stood out.  The stuff in the earlier parts of the game feel like genuine segues from FF13, the later stuff feels kind of winged by comparison, almost like they didn’t know what they wanted to portray, so only went with a more generic stance.  FF13-2 is hurt by the fact that it’s adding a time travel element into a mythos that didn’t have time travel, thus had a lot more it had to get across compared to FF10-2, and the game comes off as worse in setting in this regard.  Even at its best though, something about FF10-2 made the world at least feel like its FF10’s world, set a few years later, FF13-2 didn’t really come off as that.  In fairness, Gran Pulse IS different than Cocoon in terms of…everything…but we did get to see Gran Pulse in FF13 the two don’t feel the same.  The most drastic example offhand is the Archelytte Steppe where FF13-2’s version barely resembles FF13’s at all, to the point that they should have just named it something else.  FF10-2 never really had that by comparison; the areas that looked different were either given a legitimate excuse (Kilika), or something we never went to in FF10, like that section of Gagazet.
------
We look at the music! …even though it is an audio medium…

...also, I'm aware this one feels poorly written because at times I didn't know what I wanted to say.  I SWEAR! NEXT SECTION WILL BE BETTER! (And probably more controversial <.<)