Register

Author Topic: Emo Gun Totting Hero Spin Off Comparison Review!  (Read 3425 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Emo Gun Totting Hero Spin Off Comparison Review!
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »
Yes, this is another Meeple Rant of sorts between multiple games, but worry not, this won't be anywhere near as big as the OoT/Okami/Darksiders one (gonna try to fit it into one post, but might need two.)

--------
INTRO
There comes a time when developers have a successful game or franchise.  The success leads to variety of things, be it lots of merchandise, sequels, and of course, sometimes spin offs.  Often, these spin offs delve from the genre the game is, and/or deal with a character who had a smaller role in the media that preceded, and the idea of the spin-off is to learn more about this character.  Often, the character chosen is someone who either is very popular, or has a lot of character to work with to make an interesting story.  Sometimes these spin offs are great and ambitious.

Take for example, Yoshi's Island, also known as "Super Mario World 2."  Yoshi was nothing more than a glorified power up in the previous game, and now he has his own platformer dealing with Yoshi specific elements.  The game was well received, and arguably better than its predecessor, and comes off as a fine example of how to make a spin off.

Sometimes, however, you have to question what the logic behind the spin off in question is.  Going back to Yoshi’s Island, Yoshi was cute and lovable in Super Mario World, so it made sense to make a game based off him, and run with that.  If one equates “cute and lovable” to quality of a spin-off (IOWs, Yoshi = Cute, so Spin-off on Yoshi = Good!), than an “Angsty, Emo, Brooding Bad Ass” style spin off must be one of the stupidest ideas of a game ever.  This is flawed logic of course, but it does bring us to our two games we’ll be discussing:

From this point, I'll be using a variety of short-hands to reference both games, naturally.  These two games are spin-offs of big popular games (or franchises in Shadow's case) based around a dark brooding character from the game as the central figure, with a darker storyline than the original, focusing on gun combat.  If you think the games sound shockingly similar conceptually right now, you have no idea how deep the similarities between these two (conceptually) can go, but I’ll spare you!  Furthermore, what makes this most interesting is how the two games are contemporaries of one another.  I don't mean in that "Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger" sense where they are both "same generation, same general time frame"; I mean these two games both were released within 2 months of one another (Shadow is November ’05, DoC is January ’06), which suggests that both companies had the SAME IDEA AT THE SAME TIME, pretty much. 

BACKGROUND NONSENSE AND MISCELLANEOUS GARBAGE

Final Fantasy 7 is a game that needs no introduction, nor do I need to go into depth about it and the impact it had in general, so I'll just leave it at that.  As a series, Sonic the Hedgehog is the same, but specifically, I do need to touch up on one entry of the game, that being Shadow's first game, Sonic Adventure 2.  While there are mixed views regarding this game, and how it holds up compared to its predecessor, the general agreement is that, at very least, SA2's best parts are its Hedgehog stages.  The parts of the game where you play as Sonic or Shadow are regarded by many as some of the best stages 3D Sonic Games have had to offer, and it’s very clearly this game that Shadow's own game is deriving itself from.  If there's something to be praised from this game, it’s those stages, and by extension, anything that tries to use its core gameplay is probably in a good standing.

So a spin off involving characters from those two games seems like a good idea, right?  I mean, there's every reason to want to see these games in action, taking well established casts and what not, but give limelight to a new character, right?  Well, no, there are actually plenty of reasons to worry about everything, and it’s before both of these games came out. 

I point you in the direction of two titles, the first is Sonic Heroes, and the second is movie Advent Children: Final Fantasy 7.  To most people, Heroes was a bad game and basically the start of the huge downwards spiral of the Sonic series that bottomed out at Sonic 2006 (and that is one deep trench!) that the series only FINALLY has recovered from when Sonic Colors came out.  It’s a game that basically took only a fraction of what was liked about SA2 and gave us a half-assed follow up.  I could go into details about everything wrong with Heroes, but that's a complaint for another time.  Advent Children, to be fair, is not as widely hated...actually the reviews are quite mixed.  Though, it seems to me, most people tend to agree that if you enjoy the movie, it’s purely on that "turn brain off and enjoy the explosions" level, as anyone who tries to make sense of the plot and connect it with FF7 beyond "Cloud's in it" and such tends to hate it.  So what's wrong with AC then?  That plot is exactly it; while it wasn't deep and didn't go into the depths they could have to totally spit on what FF7 established, in terms of world building, characterization, etc., it did show hints that the writers did not actually know what they were dealing with, but rather, were writing based on how they remembered FF7, and coming up with flimsy excuses for explosions.  Classic example is writing Cloud as an antisocial jackass who does nothing but angst, and his only redeeming quality is being a badass action hero.  Again, I could go on with what's wrong with this, but it mostly establishes just what kind of fears that Advent Children sewed.

In both Sonic Heroes and Advent Children, we see our Protagonists of the two games we'll be discussing, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Vincent Valentine, playing a large role.  While it’s true in SH, Shadow's role didn't exactly increase, given he was already prominent in SA2 as a Shonen Rival for Sonic, just him appearing in Sonic Heroes more just solidifies that Shadow is a character whose "here to stay" and not a one game wonder, as well as further establishes him as an Anti-Hero instead of an Antagonist, so Sonic Heroes purpose is significant in that regard.  Advent Children, meanwhile, features Vincent more than any of the primary FF7 cast with the exception of Cloud (still the protagonist) and Tifa (female lead.)  Heck, I think Vincent does more in this sub-2 hour movie than he does in the 40~ hours of FF7.  Which just further highlights the "getting both characters more exposure and possibly raise their popularity!" factor.   Which brings us to the next scenario: The actual characters in question before their own games.  Well, let’s analyze them one at a time.

Shadow was introduced in SA2, as I said.  Here, he mostly plays the role as "Dark rival for Sonic."  The first question one must ask is "Why create Shadow?  Why not just use Metal Sonic or something for an Eggman Aligned Hedgehog?"  Whatever answer you come up with, it doesn't matter; Shadow exists so the Dark side of the storyline can have gameplay mimicking Sonic.  Here, Shadow is established as being Sonic's equal...and I don't mean "he's better until the end where Sonic beats him" like most Shonen Rivals.  Shadow is displayed as being Sonic's equal the entire game.  Shadow impresses Sonic early on with Chaos Control, but that's more just a plot device to explain where Sonic learned he could do that with a Chaos Emerald for a later Deus Ex Machina.  The fights between the two end in draws, even.  Shadow is given Rocket Shoes as an excuse for why he can run as fast as Sonic...silly, but it keeps Sonic as the "Fastest thing alive", but allows Shadow an excuse for keeping up with him by saying "he cheats."  Shadow's plot in this game is sort of the crux of the story, in that he's directly from the era where all these weapons, monsters, orbital lasers, etc. come from, and is sort of a spotlight stealer in that regard.  It’s pretty much for this reason I feel Shadow is often the "poster boy" for "everything wrong with Sonic games" when people like to blame it on the new cast members (personally, I blame Big the Cat but that's just me.)
Sonic Heroes, he's brought back with Amnesia, and then just plays the role as being the "Speed" character on Team Dark, mostly to be Sonic's opposite in personality (so while Sonic's all upbeat and optimistic, Shadow is an emo, angsty jackass.)  Really, Shadow is a character that probably earned his haters for a reason, but at the same time, he's really popular because, well, Shonen Rivals like that tend to get a lot of fans.  There's a ton of teenage boys who find the whole "Emo Anti-Hero" thing appealing, and that's a large part of the demographic playing these games, so there you go. 

When you look at everything surrounding Shadow, it really didn't surprise me that they were making a game with him.  The devs like him, he's got a lot of popularity when he first came out, and he plays similar to the popular titular hero, so there you go.  There are questions to be asked with the game, of course, which I'll get to later!

As far as Vincent...well, unlike Shadow, he was NOT a significant character in his game of origin.  He was an optional character whose entire plot was basically "he knew Sephiroth's mother before she went AWoL, and hates Sephiroth's father because Hojo is a dick", he sleeps in coffins, and that plot I mentioned above is all displayed in one scene.   Vincent doesn't do anything once he's introduced and recruited beyond a token "hey I exist!" line, even at points of the game where you'd think he'd speak up (like...any scene with Hojo, which the game tries to convince us is his rival.) Gameplay wise...well, he was something at least unique, if only because of his limits, and having a lot of ranged weapons with high magic, blah blah, its FF7, character differences only go so far.  Either way, Vincent doesn't talk much, has little purpose in the game, plot-wise,  and little personality, and basically exists just to find a convenient way to introduce Lucrecia, Sephiroth's real mother.  In Advent Children, he's suddenly this major gun toting badass...which in fairness does not contradict what we did learn of him, but it still stands out that he does more in that movie than he does in FF7, and playing a bigger role than most of the FF7 cast (including Sephiroth) is pretty telling.

...so while making a game centered around Shadow had at least some logic to it, Vincent is a huge "???"  Ok, he has some fans, but I was never under the impression he was that much more popular than any other character in the game.  The only excuse I can think of is "let’s explore that Lucrecia subplot" which ok, that's fair, but here in lies the problem.  The nature of exploring a game like this suggests that the game should be a prequel, centered around Vincent when he was a Turk, and we see the events straight up.  Instead, they made a sequel, and I like many people had a huge "just what nonsense are they thinking of next?"

I'll get into this further, but anyway, this is the first big difference I feel Shadow and DoC have conceptually.  Shadow is dealing with a character who, in both his appearances, is a prominent character, and in at least one of them, was a central figure, so focusing an entire game on him feels like a sensible extension, not to mention he is actually fairly popular, especially back then from my understanding.  It was also coming out when Shadow's games were still sort of newish, so “promote this new character!” made sense.  Vincent, however, was about as minor a character you can get in an RPG without being a Joke or Cameo, from a game released nearly 10 years prior his own, begging the question "Why Vincent?" 

So thus, we get to actually looking at the two games!  As we can see, they both stem from aspects that indeed had hope, but in between their own games and the games their stemming of, there was a black mark and every reason to fear their existence  The fact remains, however, these two games are conceptually very similar, and you'll probably see the similarities as I go on.  The question is, however, does the fact that they have so many conceptual similarities imply they're equivalent in worth?  Well, LETS FIND OUT!

First and foremost, let’s look at the box art of the two games.  I feel this is a good thing to start with because, trailers aside, this is the first thing you see about the game!  That and its completely arbitrary filler to talk about and I'm being inspired by a certain Comic Reviewer in this regard.

Shadow's Box art is...pretty stock and generic, truth be told.  I wouldn't say "bad" but it’s not exactly interesting.  The thing that catches your eye, I suppose, is the fact that he's holding a gun.  This is a pretty big deal because in previous games, Shadow fought like Sonic.  Here, they're showing him as being something he wasn't, and it establishes a new gameplay mechanic this game has that the Sonic games did not have; the fact that Shadow can use Guns.  Beyond that, it’s just our protagonist, standing in a typical action pose, behind a large explosion.  It’s what you expect to see in a game like that.  It sort of blends in, and basically tries to sell itself entirely on "This game is about Shadow the Hedgehog, YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!"  I would say Shadow's not big enough to sell games on his own except that the game sold 1.7 million units across its 3 consoles, so maybe I'm just horribly wrong (well, that and its tied in with a classic series that sells, I'm sure that has a slight bit to do with it!)

DoC's Box art is...uhh...very reminiscent of another game.  Before I say that game, it’s worth noting that a lot of people labeled the game "Vincent May Cry" when it was first revealed because "Action game about Vincent" and there were obvious visual similarities with the Devil May Cry series.  True, this is just a joke...

...apparently the developers were thinking the same thing, as "Close up of Vincent's face that tells us nothing about the game" isn't any different from "Close up of Dante's face that doesn't tell us anything about a game."  But hey, being similar to DMC series isn't a bad thing right?  Except that this is DMC2's box-art it’s similar to, and well, as most people know, DMC2 is the "bad" game of that series, so right there the game is taking off on the wrong foot.  Ok, to be fair, VMC's box art isn't quite as bad, because it’s not misleading like DMC2's, as DMC2 gives this "Dante is a villain" impression while VMC just gives more of a "Vincent is a dark, lonely guy."  Also, the title of the game "Dirge of Cerberus" is a huge "Who of what?" scenario.  The name means absolutely nothing if you don't play the game, and even if you do, it’s just a play on words that means nothing, as Dirge is just a sad song, and Cerberus happens to be the name of Vincent's gun but Vincent also has 3 forms so blah blah blah it’s a stupid name that tries to sound badass.  Contrast this to Shadow's game where it’s just a case of "Exactly what it says on the tin"; a game about the titular character.

Yes, the box-arts usually aren't indicative of the games as a whole, but regardless, I feel it should at least have some sort of appeal.  Shadow's box-art is generic, but hey, at least it has an anthropomorphic Hedgehog wielding a gun, which is something stand out.  DoC's just a picture of the protagonist’s face with some fire behind him.  To be fair, both are more interesting than your average Call of Duty or Battlefield box-art...but that's not saying much!

GAMEPLAY
Both games are different kind of action games.  To be more precise, Shadow's deals more with platforming, moving fast and odd ball gimmicks, while Vincent's is more just shoot things dead with an RPG Paint job.   No, I don't mean it’s an ARPG or anything, but rather, it incorporates a few general "RPG Elements" like leveling up and what not, but many of these have been applied to non-RPGs, and the real "it pretends it’s an RPG" factor is how it has numerical damage values (instead of just showing the guy fall over dead after a few shots, or giving non-bosses health bars) and uses terms like "Critical Hits" for head-shots and such.  This isn't so much a bad thing as much as it’s showing the awareness of how alienating this game is to fans of FF7, and their attempts to make it more familiar.

This brings me up to my first point regarding the two games: Alienating from the home game.  As I eluded to before, a game being based around Shadow isn't completely new to the Sonic fanbase, if you've been keeping up with games, as he did play prominent roles before, but Vincent is this C-list character (in terms of plot relevance) that is completely skip-able, suddenly taking center stage in his own game.  What's that got to do with gameplay?  Well, it displays just how familiar the gameplay is going to be.  So you have to ask yourself what kind of people are going to play these games?  Fans of Sonic games (most notably SA2) for Emo the Hedgehog, and fans of FF7 for VMC.  So naturally, you'd want to do familiar things for those players.

In Shadow's case, the game clearly treats itself like a game of the series it’s from.  It has all the standard conventions of a 3D Sonic game for the time.  Homing Attack, Boost Pads, a Ring system (tweaked a bit, but still the same idea), what have you.  There are new conventions like Weapons and Vehicles but nonetheless, you can still play the game just as you would SA2, where Shadow originates from.  With that familiarity aspect, it allows fans of the series to more readily grasp new ideas, as the older ones are unchanged.  It establishes itself as its own game and not a sonic game, but doesn't deviate from the source material too much...which is what I feel a spin-off should do, at least on its first attempt.

Vincent's case, the original game was a turn based RPG, this game is a full-fledged action-shooter game.  There couldn't really be a larger deviation in gameplay style.  Now while ARPGs have existed in the past, good ones even, this game does not come across as an ARPG, just an action game.  Stats only mean so much, everything is about your ability to target and shoot, react to attacks, what have you.  This is not a bad thing by nature, but it goes back to what I said about alienating the fans.  It’s asking fans of an RPG to suddenly be good at something that was completely unlike what they've been playing.  True, some people play multiple genres (I myself am one such person!), and can do an easy transition, but what of those people expecting an FF7 style game but getting something that has almost nothing to do with it?  To further illustrate what I mean, let’s look at DoC's follow up (for lack of a better term), Crisis Core.  Crisis Core, like DoC, is action oriented, but it actually has plenty of RPG elements.  Suck at dodging enemy attacks?  That’s cool, the game lets you boost your defense, HP, and pack a lot of healing, and you can compensate, just like a turn based RPG.  Furthermore, it actually keeps some of FF7's basic conventions like Materia, to keep that familiarity aspect despite the core gameplay deviating from the original.  It comes off as different, but not completely alien to the fans, so the transition is much smoother.  This is DoC's problem; it’s the first spin off of FF7 and it has almost nothing to do with FF7 on gameplay.

Now, the alienating of fans wouldn't be so bad if DoC did a good job with the gameplay style it presented.  The issue is, the game shows it was made by people who really never dealt with the genre.  It’s not exactly fast paced (which I feel is significant for action games to be engaging), dodging I felt was kind of iffy and many a times the game assumes you'll just take damage and heal through it using your limited inventory (Rouge the Crimson comes to mind.)  It comes off as a bland 3rd Person Shooter, or alternatively, a cheap rip off of Resident Evil 4 (a game I have a fair amount of respect for.)  Shadow, meanwhile, just did the gun thing far simpler.  You pick up a gun on the ground, shoot it, and hope it hits.  Game has a bit of an auto targeting system if enemies are on the screen, but also, as I said before, beyond a few specific puzzles, you can often ignore the gun thing and just kill things with Homing Attacks if you want too (ideal? No, but do-able.)  The Vehicle riding is far less prominent as a gimmick factor, and it can be skipped entirely in a variety of levels.  Again as I said before, Shadow plays similar to how he does in SA2, but with a few more gimmick factors, and being gimmicks, the gameplay doesn't rely too heavily on them.  Contrast this to Vincent's game where the whole "guns and action" thing is basically 90% of the gameplay, and its deviating pretty much entirely from the game it’s derived from.

When you look at other spin-offs in series, again, you tend to notice they are at least reminiscent of the series they’re from.  Shadow’s definitely is reminiscent of a sonic game, Vincent’s, gameplay-wise, is not.  To further show what I mean, again, look at Yoshi’s Island (yeah, I’ll be using that as “example of how to do a Spin-off RIGHT.”)  It’s a platformer, just like Mario games, so same genre.  You can kill things by jumping on them, just like Mario, and Yoshi has his trademark Tongue attack, and can spit large things out of his mouth as a projectile, just like he could in SMW.  From here, they added in a few new features, like Eggs as a primary form of offense, small sense of flight, and a few other gimmicky features like Vehicle Transformations.  It was a new and different game, but still held true to some of the features that people were used to.  Shadow definitely feels similar in this regard, as I said, Sonic conventions and mindset are all there, but with added “ok, Shadow needs cool stuff” factor.  DoC is almost nothing like FF7, other than the paint job of things like “hey, Materia determines your SPECIAL ATTACK!” Contrast this to Crisis Core where Materia was a key feature in Zack’s development, just like FF7 Proper’s core cast, so yeah, despite both using Materia, DoC used it more as a way to pretend its following FF7 gameplay conventions, while CC actually used it in a way that reflects how they were actually used.

Back to general gameplay , both games do have a Super Power Up aspect that gives you temporary awesome boosts to do stuff with.  Granted, how they are handled is different in everyway.  Vincent’s power up comes off as more of a trump card to bail you out of bad scenarios.  Meanwhile, Shadow’s variation is more a reward for doing certain things, and to keep the game more dynamic.  Neither is necessarily better than the other, conceptually anyway, and both are clearly put in to reflect the character.  In Vincent’s case, one of his trademarks is “Transforms into a monster”, so it’s kind of a necessary component, and Limit Breaks being limited access moves in FF7, making it a “trump card” style power up ala Devil Trigger just makes sense.  In Shadow’s case, he’s always using those Chaos powers in plot scenes, so for once, they gave him the ability to actually use them in game, to further deviate him from being a cheap rip off of Sonic.  True, I didn’t say anything good or bad about either game here, but it is worth noting that both games have these “Super Power Up!” states, to further establish how conceptually similar these games.  Feel free to ignore this entire paragraph if you want!

Both games also have a rating system.  In Shadow’s case, it’s something that has been a standard in Sonic games since SA1, so it’s kind of to be expected.  It encourages you to replay the stage such that you can do better and get an A Rank, and there’s a mode dedicated specifically to replaying these stages.  Again, this is nothing new to the series, and is kind of just an assumed factor for the game.  In DoC, the rating system determines your EXP (which in turn can be transferred into cash), which suggests that the better player you are, the stronger you will get.  This is a weird philosophy all things considered, as it means that those who are good will have that much easier a time of the time on top of the skill difference than those that suck.  I guess the logic is that it rewards players who care about after game stuff by giving them better stuff for the mission mode.    Now I did not find VMC’s rankings to mean a whole lot, nor did I pay attention to them much, so I guess it is all theoretical in the sense of “better you are, better your character’s stats are, thus easier game!”  but I haven’t done like any missions so for all I know, they’re significant here; having not played them, I will not make any direct statements towards them one way or another in this regard.
Though I haven’t played missions in DoC, I have at least experienced them by watching friends and I can safely say that they are varied in their requirements.  That’s a good thing since it means for more dynamic gameplay after you play the main story, and it is something to do other than the same 10 maps or so repeatedly.  StH, on the other hand, has varied requirements in the main game, which lead to different routes.  The game wants you to replay it 10 times, which is something I will get to later.  The missions are varied enough though often at least one of the missions is “kill x number of guys on the opposing side!”  Granted, just about all “Normal” missions, if there is one, are “Reach the Goal!”, which is to say, it is what happens when you play the game like a typical 3D Sonic Game.  Now, some of the missions would be awful in a game like this if Shadow didn’t implement the Warping Check Point features that let you go back to any part of the stage, which means the usual “you can’t backtrack in Sonic games” factor goes away.  Again, this plays into one of good adjustments made to help secure the more “This is an action game feel.”

You know…at this point, I feel there’s no reason to go into depth about the gameplay.  The main point I mostly wanted to make here was already made, that being that Shadow doesn’t alienate its fans, as it’s more a 3D Style Sonic game with a few new gimmicks, notably multi-arching story (and missions to go with it), Guns and the vehicles, so at least fans of the previous games can adjust pretty well.  VMC, even if it did a good job at its core game, it still begs the question of why make a 3rd Person Action Shooter Game based on a Turn-based RPG series?  Furthermore, unless it was outsourced and I missed it, it was clearly made by a company that didn’t have much experience in it, leading to appropriate questionable reactions to it.  I can understand wanting to do something different with the series, but cutting out pretty much all of the RPG elements barring a very select few minor ones, when appealing to a fanbase that regards the series as an RPG is not a smart thing to do.  To be fair, I know a lot of people were making fun of the “Guns!!!” thing in Shadow, but that sounded more like playful teasing than people being skeptical…though maybe I’m wrong and perhaps people were afraid the entire gameplay would be based around that, rather than being a Sonic game…which is a fair thing to be worried about.  Often, developers get too bogged in their gimmicks they overuse them to make sure they’re not wasted, and while I am not convinced that happened with Shadow’s game (Guns and Vehicles are clearly a secondary to the core gameplay, for all that they do play a significant role), it is something that’s an understandable fear.  Vincent’s case, it’s just flat out a completely different genre in every way.  I suppose you could say “They wanted to try and make a new game type, not just RPGs!” and slapping “Final Fantasy 7” on the front would raise the marketing value of the game, which is fair, but also illustrates how much Square-enix relies on namesake to sell a game.

...oh, right, there is one more thing I should talk about!  That being replayability.  DoC is a much longer game than Shadow, making it harder to replay.  To be fair though, DoC has a lot more "aftergame" content so it can sell its longevity on that more, and encourages a replay in the style of "make your character better for mission mode!"  It also has higher difficulty modes so you can genuinely challenge yourself.  Mission mode aside, these are standards of the Action Game genre, and it even lets you replay missions.  However, from my little experience it appears the game shoves you back at the mission exactly as you were when you started it (unlike DMC where you start the Mission exactly as the character you are now, kind of in an NG+ style), and I honestly how no clue how this affects later missions, in regards to finding missed items, money, etc.  Shadow lets you replay missions but it seems they mostly exist for ranking and letting you try the alternative paths more convenient.  That's cool and all, but Shadow has one distinct replayability factor that actually ends up hurting more than helps:
Multiple endings.  See, if the endings were care-worthy, that'd be one thing, though even that wouldn't be enough.  All the endings are basically Shadow comes to a conclusion of who he is, tells whoever was the final boss of that path what it is, then yells "This is who I am!", roll credits.  I think there's a grand total of one ending that actually ends in a way that isn't him yelling "THIS IS WHO I AM!" and go figure, its the one that you can basically hear him cutting himself.  But that's not gameplay related...

What IS however is the fact that the game requires you to get ALL 10 ENDINGS, which means literally replaying the game 10 times.  There are multiple stages you can go to, so you may want to see them all, but that still requires 5 playthroughs, which is still a big excessive.  You can't even go to Mission Select -> Beat Respective Last Level different way to access other final boss.   I'm sorry, but going through Westopolis 10 times gets dull even if you just blitz through it ASAP, you'll A Rank Normal Missions in no time.  If this was a pure ending thing, I wouldn't mind it so much because hey, Youtube...except the LAST STAGE OF THE GAME is after getting all 10 endings, followed by the FRUE FINAL BOSS!!! which is a big epic showdown.  Contrast to DoC which has a similar styled "Super Upgraded Form vs. Final Boss", but there you always get it if you beat every mission, as you'd expect of any normal game.  Sonic games have required multiple kinds of playing to get a "best ending", but usually it tried to just be "play game as all characters" and move on.  Here, you're literally playing the same character doing a lot of the same stages over and over again, just changing how you beat certain ones to get a specific ending.  This gets dull, tedious, and is something the game didn't need at all.  The formula of "play through game, get final level!" was adopted for a reason, and that's because "It works."  Shadow didn't seem to get that...

Cont. on next post!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:50:43 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emo Gun Totting Hero Spin Off Comparison Review!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »
PLOT

Note when I say plot, I’m just referring to anything related to writing, story, etc.  So yeah, this is a very broad topic.  That said, let’s talk about that stuff because I can!
Well, first off, I’m sure many are saying "If you're playing a Sonic game for plot, you're doing it wrong!"  Frankly…I have to agree with that statement completely…for reasons I really shouldn’t have to get into.  Shadow’s game is no exception in this regard!  With that out of the way...both games really don't have any chance of having a decent plot.  It’s only natural both games kind of fail at it.  Well, ok, there was SOME hope that DoC would have one, but that goes back to my claim of "It needed to be a prequel" in order to establish Vincent's past.  As is, both stories just kind of suck, but to different degrees.  See, Shadow's is more generic bad, boring, what have you.  There is poor writing, it focuses on a clichéd anti-hero main, and its cast is made up of characters who were generally something you couldn't take seriously...in a game that sells itself as DARK AND EDGEY.  I don't have to say just why all this stuff clashes, I guess it’s a courtesy that the plot isn't too "in your face" about it that you can sort of zone out the plot scenes and wait for the next one (or on replays, Scene Skip.)  In Vincent's game, however, the plot is...borderline offensive.  I say this because it feels like it actively tries to piss you off.  Its chock full of retcons, inconsistencies, and just makes up stuff that very clearly was not in FF7.  Now yes, new stuff is not a bad thing, but there's a difference between expanding on what we know, and making stuff up for the convenience of a new game, that sort of does not fit in with the game in question.

And here in lies a second difference between the two games, conceptually.  Shadow comes from a universe that is not well established, with almost no backstory beyond the little bit we see in SA2 which is summed up as "Mad Scientist creates Shadow and giant evil lizard, vows revenge on humanity, and Shadow's morality is saved by having a strong bond with said mad scientist's innocent grand-daughter."  Shadow's game mostly expands on that, gives us more details, and doesn't really do anything more.  The universe has so little to it, they can get away with almost anything so long as it doesn't screw with the underlying rule of "There are Chaos Emeralds, they are awesome, and Sonic has a perfect record at foiling EVIL ROBOT schemes by running really damned fast."  To the game's credit, they try to tie-in previous games in simple ways like "hey, Shadow is one of the two heroes who saved the world from destruction!" and what not, but they're nothing more than continuity nods.  By extension, however, by having such a loose universe with almost no backstory means you have to build from the ground up, as you have so little to work with.  This is why Shadow's plot is probably so poorly written; it’s in a series that never really had full serious plot until very recently, and those plots were kind of ill.  The game tries to be “plot heavy” relative to earlier games, but just fails for that reason.

The FF7 world, by comparison, is well established with a firm backstory, and very specific rules.  In one game, we learn the nature of the universe, with the lifestream and all that.  There's a lot of groundwork in FF7, and a lot that can actually be worked with.  At the same time, this works against sequels as it means there's a lot you need to be consistent with.  Now, it’s very easy to make Vincent relevant to FF7's plot...which as I said, requires it being played as a prequel.  As a sequel, it’s really damned hard to pretend Vincent is a significant factor in any of this, when he played such a small role in the original game.  As a prequel, it means anything Vincent does in FF7 is irrelevant because it never happened, so you do not have to pretend anything in that regard, just deal with the issues contemporary to the game as it falls in the time-line.  This is the big underlying problem the game has.  It introduces a new threat completely out of nowhere, which from my understanding is slightly alluded to in Before Crisis, but needing another spin off as a vague hint is bad enough as is.  Nonetheless, Deep Ground is a complete and total ass-pull.  Yes, the aliens in Shadow are just as out of nowhere as before, but "aliens" is as good a villain as any in a game like that with no real consistent threat other than a Doctor constantly making robots that get trashed by a blue hedgehog.  Deep Ground we're led to believe is this SUPER SEKRIT organization that was around all this time, and only now breaks free from a metaphorical big cage never once remotely implied to exist in Midgar, that no one knew existed before then outside of a few conveniently dead characters.  Even the higher ups in the game don't know anything about them, adding to the "no, that's bullshit" scenario, given Rufus was Vice President before he became President, he should know secrets that the other higher ups know about, so the “he’s too knew” is clearly an ass-pull claim…to say nothing of Reeve (the Head of Urban Development, meaning he’d KNOW OF EVERYTHING HAPPENING IN MIDGAR) and the Turks who’ve been around for a while, and generally know all the dark secrets,  but nope, for sake of Plot Convenience, we’re going to claim they were kept in the dark.  Now, if this was just an excuse for more enemies, and the game didn't deal heavily with them, I might be able to hand-wave it...

...except DoC cranks the plotohol up ridiculously high.  Plot scenes are not short, but lengthy and filled with large exposition, rants, etc.  There's at least 5 primary villainous figures, no less than 3 potential love interests, one of whom FAKE DIES when there was literally no reason to not kill her off legitimately (see, at least FF4 brought their “Fake Death” characters back in a scene later in the game, to give the illusion of “they still are significant!”  DoC does not do this with its “Fake Death” character), and the ultimate love interest is tied in with another and it’s a really creepy, and morally questionable manner.  The usage of pre-existing characters from the FF series is kept at a minimum.  Outside of Vincent, we have…

Yuffie: The female ninja with one side quest worth of plot (this is more than what Vincent has in FF7) who is also possibly the LEAST POPULAR CHARACTER IN THE GAME, trying to be passed off as a Robin to Vincent’s Batman…and I apologize to all fans of Gotham’s Dark Knight for equating Vincent to a far superior Dark hero.
Cait Sith: The OTHER hated character of FF7, who was there for comic relief…in a game that wants you to take it fully seriously…playing a legitimate role.  In credit, FF7 did the same, but they handled it in a way this game sort of ignores.  FF7 used “Cait Sith can’t be taken seriously!” to its advantage for a surprise reveal later on, DoC just uses it for the sake of using him.  He’s also the only character in the game outside of Vincent who has gameplay, which speaks heavily of the thought process put into this game.
Reeve: The excuse for using Cait Sith is the prominence of this character.  Ok, his usage is justified and he works, as he’s just “underutilized character who works for what they need”, and I can’t fault them for that.  The thing is, Cait Sith loses all-purpose when Reeve is NOT fighting in the front lines, and NOT acting as a spy, which means Cait Sith is basically there for the sake of “hey, it’s Cait Sith!”
Hojo: He’s Vincent’s rival, true…but he’s suppose to be dead too.  I shouldn’t have to go on about what’s wrong with this.  Another fine example of “this game needed to be a prequel” if you ask me.
Lucrecia: Sephiroth’s Mom with all of one scene of plot in FF7, and all she did was mope about her own failures, being completely oblivious to the fact that her son is TRYING TO DESTROY THE WORLD.  She’s also sealed in a crystal, and does nothing in the actual contemporary plot other than apologize, and basically exists as a backstory character…which again, further establishes the “why isn’t this a prequel?” claim.

What about Cloud, Tifa, Barret, and other characters who played a significant role in FF7?  Oh, they are there…as one scene cameos, for the “OMG ITS CLOUD!” factor.  Kind of insulting that the most well-known RPG Hero of all time is relegated to basically a cameo role in a game based on his universe.  To say nothing of how the Turks, who would have fit into a game like this perfectly, don’t even make an appearance in this game.  See what I said about Cait Sith being comic relief that clashes with this game’s style?  The Turks are the kind of Comic relief that would complement it.  The more subtle incompetence that jobs to the stronger characters, and are more personality driven than “IT’S A CUTE CAT WITH A SCOTTISH ACCENT! LAUGH AT IT!!!”

I guess I should talk about what StH does with its cast of characters.  Well, yes, the other characters all play a notably smaller role than they did, but it’s more treated as secondary characters rather than “they’re cameos.”  There is one primary returning figures outside of the titular hero, and that is Maria, The big backstory character for Shadow in SA2.  If you want a game that develops Shadow, she’s kind of a must, since she’s established as the reason why he is capable of having morality, despite being essentially built to be the ultimate being of destruction.  I’ll get more into her later, as well as Lucrecia, as I feel comparing the two directly is imperative!  Otherwise, the other Sonic Characters all pop in to actually lend a consistent hand to Shadow.  In fact, Sonic plays a pretty decently sized role despite the game not focusing on him.  He’s introduced in the first stage, is Shadow’s helper in a number of stages, and basically gives him the screen time someone like him deserves, while not actually detracting from the fact that “this is Shadow’s game.”  The other characters all pop up doing similar things, being just there to acknowledge their existence, have some actual dialog and minor gameplay relevance akin to Tails in Sonic 2/3 if you were playing as “Sonic and Tails”(instead of absolutely none like the FF7 returning characters…Cait Sith aside…)    Now, one thing I will say is Shadow tries a little too hard to incorporate a lot of characters, like for example, the Chaotix trio.  They aren’t used in a bad way, per se, but they are tacted on, when they really should have just stayed with a core few, so there’s definitely a sense of “trying too hard to use as many characters as possible.”  This would be a bigger deal if the game had plot worth caring about…which is actually a pretty backhanded statement in all ways truth be told.

There is another big difference the two games have, conceptually, for their plot and that is the nature of the two games they come from, in terms of tone, style, etc.  The Sonic series did delve a little bit into serious plot in its previous games, but it was nothing too in depth, and still felt like an elaborate Children’s Cartoon (heck, they even made a children’s cartoon centered around Sonic Adventure 1 and 2!)  The darkest it gets is basically your typical “THE WORLD IS IN DANGER! SONIC AND FRIENDS MUST SAVE THE DAY!”, which doesn’t come off as anything stand out.  FF7, by contrast, had a lot of dark elements to begin with, between identity crises, actual people dying, the doomsday being far more imminent for a longer stretch of time, and actual senses of hopelessness at times.  None of these things actually spark up in the Sonic games.  When a big crisis happens, it’s usually at the end, and the heroes form a plan in seconds, or Sonic just whips out God Mode and stops it.  In FF7, you’re revealed to the world threatening crisis much earlier, and there’s definitely a sense of futility against it, and even when the party’s plan works, things STILL seem bleak until the very end. This means that Shadow’s game does feel more out of place relative to his series, as it’s suddenly this dark gritty storyline in a series that is light hearted kids’ stuff.  DoC is more of just a “Step up” from FF7 in the dark tone, so it tends to be a more logical extension.  In this regard, DoC definitely makes more sense conceptually than Shadow, as it fits in with the tone of its series much better.

This is also where one of the major fears for Shadow the Hedgehog came from.  People were afraid the series was going to go down a path it ought not go, especially after Sonic Heroes apparently continued to illustrate a path to the “Darker and Edgier” style, compared to Sonic Adventure 2…which in turn was dark by Sonic standards to begin with.  This is a fair thing to consider, as Sonic is traditionally light hearted and fun, and its best kept that way.  Taking a turn into that direction probably got it some immediate negative responses, and let’s be honest here, the game’s story and plot was doomed to the start, and it didn’t exactly prove otherwise.   In the case of FF games, FF7 is hardly the darkest of the series, but even so, as I said, the game did have some dark stuff to work with and it is nothing new, so just going down that “darker and edgier” path seemed more natural.  At the same time, however, I maintain the whole “Vincent, really?” thing is screwed up, and yes, again, I will reiterate that the game NEEDED TO BE A PREQUEL. 

Actually, that reminds me of something else as to why it needs to be a prequel.  FF7 already saved the world from a huge crisis, and then Advent Children followed up with preventing a situation from escalating into the same thing.  AC, for all it is screwed up problems, at least built on what FF7 already had, as it worked directly with Sephiroth related things, and it could basically be seen as “cleaning up the mess” style things.  DoC, now we’re introduced to a whole new completely unrelated threat, with characters who have nothing to do with anything, and brings up this major problem I often have with sequels of this style, that being the “how are these villains adequate threats to our heroes who effectively TOOK DOWN A MAD GOD?”  DoC doesn’t exactly give us a good explanation either, just sort of forces aspects into the world’s setting that FF7 never remotely implied.   At least in Sonic’s case, with Eggman never dying, “World at threat” is pretty much a given at all points so it’s like a “here we go again” thing, though the aliens were pretty much forced in.  This is a case where “less is more” though as Shadow not trying to say anything other than “They’re aliens” and using them as an arbitrary explanation for Shadow being so strong (that being Dr. Gerald created Shadow with usage of said alien’s genes), and its kept simple, you just sort of fridge logic the rest, shrug, and move on.  This in here lies the difference between “it sucks” and “its offensive.”    Shadow’s plot, villains, etc. are just bad all around, but they don’t spit on the series as a whole, ignoring the “Dark and Gritty!” nature of the game completely clashing with everything (Which in itself, as I said, is a problem.)  Vincent’s equivalents are very clear cases of “No, that totally wasn’t part of FF7, nor can I imagine it actually fitting in!”  Now yes, good writing, set up, etc. can allow for non-existent factors to be worked into the plot.  For example, of all things, Final Fantasy 10-2’s Vegnagun.  While nothing in FF10 suggests it exists, the existence of it actually fits in with what we do know of FF10, and the war of Bevelle and Zanarkand, as well as the explanation for why no one has heard of it.  There isn’t much FF10-2 does right, I’ll admit, but how they handled Vegnagun in this regard at least feels like something they didn’t do wrong at least.  Deepground in DoC is just completely out of nowhere and everything explained with them just leads to further head scratching.

To branch from that, Vincent’s story has another problem.  That being “Why Vincent?”  Not in the “Why was he the chosen protagonist” but rather, why was he chosen to be the hero in the current crisis?   See, if it was just circumstantial and Vincent was the only dude who’s bad enough to save the president…ok, that’d be fine.  DoC does not present it this way; Vincent is in Kalm because he was called there and initially, yes he runs into the bad guys completely on luck (well, no, they’re looking for him, so that much is fair.)  What doesn’t make sense is Reeve called him over there specifically to enlist him in a job, without actually explaining why it had to be Vincent.  What makes Vincent stand out compared to…well, anyone else on the FF7 team?  I mean, why not Cloud who’s beaten Sephiroth, the ultimate bad ass, TWICE single handedly, and apparently has even gotten over his emo Advent Children self?  Yes, I know, they wanted  a game about Vincent, but at least have a sensible reason for why Vincent is the hero, and it’s really not hard to write that scenario.  I mean, let’s just remove the fact that Reeve called Vincent to come there specifically to ask him for the job entirely.  Now the scenario is a simple case of “Reeve needs help, and he ran into Vincent before the others.”  There, done; now the explanation is Vincent was chosen out of convenience, and no questions need to be asked.

Shadow, by comparison, is basically a circumstantial one.  He’s near the city when it gets attacked, like Vincent the villains are after him for reasons the game explains later (this part I have no problems with conceptually, in DoC’s case, because the game DOES explain it eventually, for all that the explanation is stupid), and decides to act upon it.  He’s never singled out as the guy who is needed, at least by the heroes.  Whenever heroes enlist him for help, it’s a simple case of “he happens to be there.”  Sure, it gets kind of silly when he stumbles upon the other characters by chance all the time, but at least there are no questions for “Why Shadow?”  I know, I’m going into depth about this, but it just illustrates how poorly DoC was conceived plot wise from the get go.  Something as simple as “Why Vincent?” from the character’s perspective isn’t even well explained.  I mean, if Reeve KNEW the villains were after Vincent, and enlisted him to keep him close, then I could buy it, but the implication is Reeve wanted Vincent in his team because “Vincent is awesome”, mostly done to help sell us on “Vincent is the hero of this game!” and nothing more.

Regarding the badass thing, this leads to another aspect.  Now yes, your hero in these games should be a suitable badass, capable of feats that a normal person cannot do.  The issue is, again, where in FF7 did we get the implication that Vincent is that level of badass?  Him being able to shoot down a helicopter with a few bullets of a handgun after jumping 100 feet into the air is not something we’ve seen him do.  Ok, that’s a minor nitpick, but mostly what I’m looking at is how the game pretends Vincent is this top tier Plot Powered Badass with nothing in FF7 even coming remotely close to implying this.  What about Shadow?  Well, the game never treats him as anything more than he is.  Oh sure, he’s a strong dude, but SA2 already established that as he’s basically “Sonic’s Equal.”  To branch from that, he’s got a Chaos Emerald, and knows how to use it, which is a consistent factor to his character and the Sonic Universe.  Vincent allegedly has the “Protomateria” which is a macguffin that comes out of nowhere, given a name that sounds FF7y, and it apparently does nothing other than hold his SUPER POWERS in check. 

And that’s one of the big problems with DoC; so many of its issues that are wrong with the game, in terms of plot, are so easy to fix.  I already covered the Vincent chosen by the people thing, so let’s look at another problem, like say, Omega.  Omega is a planet created monstrosity meant to be released when the planet is about to be destroyed to send its energy back to the cosmos.  Ok, the planet returning to the cosmos fits in with the universe fine, it is basically taking the Lifestream idea and expanding it beyond the planet…but this leads to the question of “why does the planet need a huge monster that can destroy everything to do so?”  To further branch from that, the scheme to get the planet to release Omega is basically assuming that FF7’s planet is a HUGE MORON, to believe its dying when its actually not.  This first brings up several questions.  First off, why didn’t it release Omega when Meteor was there?  That was clearly a life threatening issue, far bigger than what’s going on in DoC , where its only life threatening because OMEGA AWAKENS.  Heck, Meteor was such a big threat, the Planet’s trump card, Holy, couldn’t stop it, and it needed the entire Lifestream unleashed upon it just to stop the damn thing.    So how do we fix this?  Simply put, we just say “Omega is one of the weapons, more powerful than the others, to the point where the planet feared it and locked it even further than the others.”  It’s a half-assed explanation, but it gets the point across and you can shrug it off.

The way DoC says it though is that the planet made its own Galactus, and said Galactus has its own Silver Surfer equivalent in Chaos.  Ok, so let’s ignore why something like that NEEDS a Herald, and look at the bigger picture.  How is Chaos, a mere herald of this big guy, supposed to be strong enough to take on someone who is clearly meant to be stronger?  There is just connection here.  Using the Galactus Parallel again, Galactus’ Heralds are damned strong, that’s for sure, but they’re never as strong as he is…yeah, it’s a different universe entirely, but it’s mostly to show that a Herald is pretty much always weaker than the Master, especially in DoC where both are regarded as Forces of Nature PERSONIFIED.  So the question is, how do we fix Chaos in this scenario, to make it conceivable that he can beat Omega?  Simply put, just say “Chaos was a failsafe the planet created after realizing its mistake with Omega.”  So now we don’t need to believe that Chaos is strong enough to beat Omega, just that Chaos is equipped with the right tools to counteract Omega, such that Chaos is not something the planet needs to fear if it goes out of control, but it’s still capable of keeping Omega in check.  There, done.  A simple, straight forward rewriting of both Omega and Chaos, both can retain their roles as “Giant Monster that will destroy the world created by the planet that is the final boss” and “Hidden Super Power needed to beat said final boss used by the hero.” 

Shadow, by comparison, doesn’t do any of that.  Perhaps it’s because the Sonicverse by nature is so much simpler, but basically it’s just saying aliens are there, they are evil, they are using a comet.  It uses stuff from SA2 to establish things further, but it’s mostly expanding.  Again, Shadow’s issues with plot are not nearly as bad in this regard, because most of it is just “this is poorly written garbage that is not very interesting” in a tone that sort of clashes with the universe.   Is this a good thing?  Oh of course not; it’s downright bad and the game deserves to be slammed for it.  I’m establishing, however, that it’s nowhere near as bad as DoC’s.  Shadow’s problems are more at a point where it just needs better writers, better characterization, etc.  Everything else is all fine in simple concepts beyond a few oddities (like how Shadow can believe he’s an Android.  Wouldn’t like, I dunno, cutting yourself to make sure you bleed be enough?  It’s not like he isn’t already doing it!), and nothing really clashes with what we already knew.  The plot is simple and straight forward.  Bad Aliens appear, good guys go to stop, Shadow must make a decision, and Chaos Emeralds are the key to victory because, well, Chaos Emeralds are ALWAYS the key in Sonic games.    The game even ends exactly like all other Sonic games since Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Shadow uses the Chaos Emeralds against Final Bosses One Winged Angel Form, goes SSJ, and beats the crap out of him.  Its old, it’s boring, it’s stale, it’s predictable…but at least it’s consistent with everything else in the series.

Though it just occurred to me NOW that both Vincent and Shadow use CHAOS POWERS as a primary weapon, and both rely on them being fully unleashed against their huge final boss.  And Both Omega and Devil Doom aren’t even that dissimilar in design…albeit, its mostly because the two have such a generic “Giant Godzilla Monster” look to them, stylized to fit the games they are from, so this is really not as amusing a coincidence as it should have been, more an inevitable factor from having that style of final boss.  No, this does not really say anything about either game one way or another, more just another amusing similarity the two games share that I thought I’d bring up.

Yeah, I wasted a lot of time on nothing, but it can’t be stressed enough how bad this thing is.  When you have a convoluted, complicated scenario that could very easily be rewritten to something simpler, easier to understand, AND doesn’t mess with the plot at all, while retaining the same purpose and spirit of the original creation, it really begs the question of “What the fuck were the writers thinking?”  It’s like they made it as complicated as possible because they could, just because it makes the plot more philosophical and seem more creative than it actually is.  It really just ends up being one of those “they’re trying to sound smart!” moments when anyone with half a brain can see through it and knows that it’s just an illusion at best.  Shadow the Hedgehog, by comparison, didn’t try any elaborate explanations.  Just simple “this is who I am what it is, DEAL WITH IT!”, and goes on from there.  The writing is crap, the plot line is boring, and characterization is stale…but at least they’re kept simple.  I suppose one could say Shadow is more honest about its failures while DoC tries to mask them by making itself seem smarter than it is, and is all the worse about it.

Now, as I said, both games have females who are pure plot devices that exist as backstory figures for the characters in the form of Lucrecia and Maria.  Neither character are anything I’d rave about…in fact, it says something that “walking cliché” is probably the biggest compliment I’ll give either of them.  Yet, again, this here in displays a difference between “this character sucks” and “what the fuck were they thinking?”  Maria is just a poorly implemented character.  Conceptually there is nothing wrong with the character, and her role was established in SA2, so Shadow’s game could have built upon that.  Instead, it just told us more of the same.  Maria’s entire purpose was to be the lone positive influence on Shadow’s life when he in the Ark 50 years prior, and the only reason he is able to retain a sense of morality.  There’s really nothing wrong with a character like this conceptually, just would it have hurt the game to, you know, DO SOMETHING with her?  As it stands, she plays a role in two specific missions, guiding you towards the “good” path, be it “kill all the evil monsters”, or “save all the wounded soldiers, even though they’re trying to kill you!”  She’s a generic, frightened girl, and…ok, I’m not sure what they could have done with her, but still that doesn’t excuse how bland and boring she is.

So what of Lucrecia?  Well, Lucrecia is…how to put this in unbiased terms…oh screw it, she’s easily one of the worst characters I have ever seen.  In FF7, all we knew about her is she’s Sephiroth’s mother and Sephiroth was basically taken from her immediately, as she “never held him once” and she considers herself an utter failure as a mother (justifiably so.)  Ok, that’s fair; for someone with so few plot scenes, make with what you have.  The problem is DoC gave her more scenes and they don’t really support this at all.  Of all the scenes, only ONE of them actually plays into the whole “Failure as a mother” thing, which is when she’s shouting at Hojo to let her see her child.   So basically, DoC almost completely ignores half of Lucrecia’s character that we knew in FF7.  Rather than trying to do something with that angle, or working it in, it’s only tossed into one scene (and referenced in another which is basically a reenactment of an FF7 scene, just with MORE DRAMA!!! and what not…I guess the game gets credits for remembering SOMETHING from FF7?)  Furthermore, it basically retcons everything about Lucrecia…

Quick question: Anybody remember what Lucrecia, Hojo and Gast were working on in Nibelheim?  That’s right Jenova related stuff.  It was all about the Jenova Project.  So what does DoC claim she’s working on?  Her Gaia Theory nonsense, something never once referenced in FF7, and pretty much ignores any mention of her working on Jenova.  So basically…it alienates her from her role in FF7, to make her seem more important than she is!  This isn't specifc to Lucrecia, but it's another example of DoC changing random shit for the sake of changing shit

No, the main flaw is there is nothing likable about her…at all.  Ok, so she was a disciple of Vincent’s dad, and feels responsible for his death because he died protecting her.  I guess that’s fair, it doesn’t contradict what we know of Lucrecia thus far, and helps make the relationship a little more intriguing.  You’d think this would lead to her being infatuated with Vincent because he looks like the guy she respects immensely, and an interesting love triangle between her and Hojo, right?  Well, no, not at all.  First off, any of the relationship with Hojo is sort of ignored completely.  We just accept that the reason is “they both have Jenova cells in them, so why not get her pregnant to test a Jenova baby!”  That’s what FF7 told us, but FF7 also implied that Lucrecia actually had feelings for Hojo, and that Vincent was willing to accept her choosing Hojo because “it’s what she wants.”  Now remember, folks, this is Vincent plot in FF7; there isn’t much to it.  How the fuck did they manage to screw up one of the only things FF7 did tell us about Lucrecia?  That’s pretty spectacular.

Crisis Core had a similar thing going for it; Zack had minimal plot, so if you got that much right and the rest was consistent around it, the game is fair.  Thing is…Crisis Core actually went out of its way to insure the few stuff we know of Zack remained.  Nibelheim is more or less unchanged in any significant manner, he still has the same backstory factors we knew of him (Grew up in Gongaga, is Aerith’s boyfriend, etc.), and he has the same fate.  This is how Crisis Core avoids being a retconny mess; it actually maintains consistency with FF7!

…got side tracked.  Anyway, what do they do with the whole Vincent’s Father nonsense for Lucrecia?  Well, it’s explained as the reason she turns on Vincent!  Wait what?  In FF7, it’s implied that she and him had a potential relationship, but it fell through for some reason.  DoC, she shows one sign of her being nice to him, then the rest of it is her being all “I’m going to be a bitch to him!”  The reason?  So Vincent will hate her for what she did to his dad!  Ok, seriously, what kind of person thinks this way?  This is a convoluted reason if I’ve heard one and just further illustrates the “complicated reasons sake of being more complicated!”   It makes her kind of impossible to sympathize with as well, as we’re supposed to sympathize with her and Vincent’s feelings for her.  As it stands, though, it just makes the situation “Vincent, she treated you like shit, LET HER GO” and makes everyone related to her sans Hojo look worse for it (Hojo being an evil scientist was only using her out of convenience, so it’s a pass.  Plus who wouldn’t want to sleep with an attractive young woman like her?  That’s totally understandable…god damn, did DoC just make me empathize with HOJO of all people? What the fuck is wrong with this game?)  Honestly, I could go on about all the problems with Lucrecia, but…just know that if there’s something screwed up with the character, be it conceptually, implementation or what not, and it’s not related to her design (she does look like her FF7 self, which is all she needs to do), she probably did it.  Yes, I do consider her a worse character than the likes of, say, Rinoa.  Just let that sink in for a bit.

So what of the villains?  Well…Black Doom is a baby eating Alien, that’s all there is to it.  I guess Eggman exsits, but…well… have you played any Sonic game, ever?  Did you read a plot summary of SA2?  You know everything relevant about Eggman. Just in case you forgot, Eggman = Robotnik; same deal as Toadstool = Peach in Mario games.  The Tsviets are just henchman with no real personality, they’re just…there to be bosses with dialog.  Rosso likes to kill things, Azul is I think suppose to be the “honorable” guy, and Nero is just a guy with a jock strap on his face.  Weiss, meanwhile, is really Hojo.  Ok, so what’s wrong with Hojo as a villain?  Conceptually, nothing; he’s perfect as a rival for Vincent…

Except here are all the problems.  First off, Hojo is dead; you killed him yourself, and it was 7 days prior the alleged point where he downloaded himself into the Internet.  Do I seriously have to explain everything wrong with this scenario?  Again, this isn’t a case of “didn’t see the body”; you CLEARLY KILLED HIM.  Your team was there and what not, and he was confirmed dead.  It’s a straight up retcon.   Next off, they completely compromise his convoluted plan in FF7 with another more convoluted plan. Everything Hojo did in FF7 was screwed up and mad scientist like, but it made sense in context of who he was.  He’s Sephiroth’s father and engrossed in studying Jenova and the Cetra, and wouldn’t you know it? His entire plan was centerd around studying the Cetra, maximizing Jenova’s potentials, and letting Sephiroth succeed.  All of that is fair.  DoC decides to say “Nah, that’s a lie, his real plan involved the INTERNET THAT DIDN’T EXIST!”  I’ll let you figure out what’s wrong with that.  It also ignores a major factor as to why Vincent hates Hojo, that being Hojo is the one that fucked his life over.  He shot Vincent, experimented on him, and now Vincent has those “nightmares” because of it.  So what DoC do?  Remove this factor entirely, and instead blame Lucrecia as the one who was testing Chaos on him.   Did I mention Lucrecia is impossible to really sympathize with?

…I think its best I just end talking about DoC’s plot anymore.  In the end, both games fail at it.  Thing is, Shadow just takes it to the point of “This sucks, scene skip whenever possible sounds good!” (in credit to a failure, Shadow doesn’t let you scene skip something if you haven’t already seen it, thereby forcing you to watch the scene once at least.) DoC actively goes out of its way to change things, be as complicated as possible, and seems like it’s trying to offend as many FF7 fans as humanly possible.  I suppose the only reason to watch DoC’s plot would be to see just how much more it can train wreck!

To credit DoC for a second, though, you can at least see the entire plot in one playthrough.  Shadow requires no less than 10 playthroughs to get the full plot, just to unlock the FRUE FINAL, and it gets Tedious doing Westopolis 7 more times than you need too. 

CONCLUSION!!!!!
Both games are not very good, but how “bad” they are varies immensely.  They illustrate the difference between “not very good but playable” and “should set fire to whoever made this game.”  In one case, the game comes off more as a failed experiment, or alternatively, a lazily implemented product that was an attempt to make a cheap buck (and it did succeed at that much in fairness!)  The other is an attempt at making something epic out of something that really comes off as “who thought this was a good idea?”

If it’s not obvious, yeah, Shadow the Hedgehog is merely a “bad game.”   I’ll be honest and say I don’t think it’s truly awful, but it’s hard to defend it objectively.  The game at least understands its fanbase, and gives something resembling Sonic gameplay, tries a few things to sell the whole “This is Shadow’s game” and overall, with maybe some more time, effort, playtesting, etc., it could have ended up a half decent game.  The plot…didn’t have a chance to be good.  Sonic is never about good serious plot, and making Shadow the protagonist isn’t going to change that.  The games with “good” plot are the ones that don’t take themselves seriously and just understand that the plot is “Eggman has an evil scheme, Sonic smashes robots to save the day” and that’s really all it needs to be, and adds in some cartoon style humor in the mix.  Overall, I guess the best way to put Shadow is “mediocre” than anything else.
Dirge of Cerberus, meanwhile, feels downright offensive at times.  It sometimes feels insulting because of how it overcomplicates things that could be easily adjusted for something simpler.  It goes out of its way to change stuff and retcon even the simplest of things, all to make a more Vincent oriented plot.  If the game was using an original cast, it wouldn’t be so bad as hey, it makes its own rules!  Yet the problem is that it’s FF7 and tries to change stuff FF7 tells us.  To further add issues, it alienates the FF7 fans by making a genre completely foreign to the fans of the game.  As I said, Shadow is at least the same genre and basic game with a few added features relative to a 3D Sonic game; Dirge of Cerberus is closer to Resident Evil 4 than it is FF7, and that says something (make no mistake! I like Resident Evil 4 and this comparison is completely a stylistic thing)…it makes me wonder why they didn’t just make Dirge of Cerberus another Parasite Eve, turn Vincent into Aya Brea, and instead work some other nonsense into that.  Ok, I know the reason; FF7 sells a lot more than Parasite Eve, but…wait, maybe that is what happened.  Actually, it’d almost explain a lot, as many of the nonsense were adjustments from an original concept meant to be another game but had to shifted to be FF7.  I…yeah, I’ll just stop and say DoC is a pretty awful game on any conceptual level.  Its gameplay isn’t horrible for what it is, to be fair,  but you have to question “Why would an FF7 fan want to play a shooter about the character with the least amount of plot?”

So what am I getting at?  Well, despite how similar conceptually these games are, how good/bad they can be ends up dramatically different.  In Shadow’s case, I can at least see someone thinking it’s a good idea, and just something going wrong in the creation.  “Make a game about this anti-Sonic using the same gameplay but with a few new features that wouldn’t work on Sonic, like guns!”  It’d appeal to the more “Adult” fans of Sonic, but yeah, not exactly a well done game.  Vincent’s game, meanwhile, I’m not sure who said “let’s take this character with little plot  and force a pseudo-sequel based on him with very little actually relevant to FF7!”  The sad part is, DoC is clearly the game that had more effort put into it, just all its effort was put in the wrong areas.  I guess I also mean that neither are very good, and both are not something I’d recommend, though only DoC is a game I’d actively say “don’t play!” while Shadow is more a game I’d say “play at your own risk.”

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »
Not to change the subject, but one point you kept bringing up is how DoC wasn't true to FF7 in terms of gameplay, while glossing over the actual gameplay of the game. Isn't Dissidia also like this; a game that derails the gameplay of the core series by shoving it into an unfamiliar format? I find both games pretty alienating in terms of what market they are supposed to be appealing to (which is why I have never played either!). Since you are a fan and not the other, what is the difference that you see between them which makes one a worthwhile play and not the other?

I am not touching the plot post with a 1000 yard stick, thank you.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
Well, one's a direct (more or less) sequel, while the other is a crossover fighter!  That DoC is trying (and failing) to be a generic shooter, while Dissidia is a weird fighting game unlike basically anything else out there probably helps as well.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:22:14 PM »
I guess I don't see such a great distinction in being a spin-off versus being a crossover, personally. You are fundamentally aiming at a fanbase for the same thing.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Mostly because there are games like Smash Bros, Marvel vs Capcom, and such that establish an expectation that a crossover can be a different genre.  It makes more sense in those games, where the various games crossed over are different genres to start with, but the trope is there.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:32 AM »
Well, Dissidia also had other features in it that DoC didn't have.  It had a Menu-based battle mode where you play the game like an RPG, kind of, and you just have to get the timing down, and let the AI do the running and such.  Its not perfect, but its kind of analogous to "Simple mode" in MvC.  Its helps make the transition better.

And yeah, like CK said, it has to do with how Crossover games being often Fighters to begin with is kind of expected.  For what its worth, Dissidia is as much a One on One ARPG as it is a Fighting Game, since it uses stats, equipment, etc.

Also, its worth noting this:

Final Fantasy fans have a pretty notable cross with Kingdom Hearts fans.  Dissidia's gameplay is similar to Kingdom Hearst in a number of ways, so its something a lot of those fans are already use to.  So while true, "Fighting game" is not something FF fans are use to, "ARPG" is something many have experience in (especially if we factor in Crisis Core), and the shift is more now its 1 vs. 1 in a hypothetically even match that could be competitive instead of just you vs. the world like most ARPGs are.

Furthermore, with games like KH and Crisis Core, Square-enix has shown competence in that area of gameplay core gameplay aspect as is, where as DoC is something they've basically done nothing with.

Call it a semantic, but saying Dissidia is more of a "Competitive ARPG" may be more accurate than a "Fighting Game", albeit, it still has all the fundamental qualities of a Fighting game (two people beating up each other until one guy runs out of health), so its still accurate to call it that at the same time.  Basically, what I'm getting at is that the way Dissidia is handled, the shift from RPG to Fighting Game was more fluid due to it resembling an ARPG.

MEANWHILE, DoC is a 3rd Person Shooter through and through, and the "RPG Elements" aren't going to mask this factor anymore (especially given RPG Elements have been incorporated into variety of Non-RPG Genres as is).  I guess the game has Auto Aim to make the shift in skill more smooth, but I'm not convinced its enough, as you still have to worry about like everything else that the Shooter Genre has.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:41:12 AM »
I don't see what the problem is in that case.

Shooter tie ins to established series of another genre have a long history of sucking.  DoC is just following the established genre tropes.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »
There are shooter tie-ins for other series?

I'm genuinely having trouble thinking of any... though I assume that at least a few others must exist besides DoC... (I suspect that they are not as notable as something like Smash Bros or MvC though)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 03:11:46 AM »
X-Com Enforcer was the first one that came to mind.  Command and Conquer Renengade.  StarCraft: Ghost being so bad that they shit canned it like 2 tries after the original attempt to never be seen again.  There is a few more.  Not as uncommon as you expect.  Dark Messiah of Might and Magic kind of counts, but is actually good.

Of course none of them are as high profile as Smash Bros or MvC, they are almost always terrible.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 08:43:10 AM »
Ah, so notably none of those are for Japanese series, which puts DoC back into the 'unique' category... At least it was such a failure that I probably won't have to worry about seeing shooter tie-ins from any other Japanese series I care about.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
So you don't care about Front Mission?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 05:37:09 AM »
Hmm.. not particularly, no. Did it have its own spin-off shooter?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
Two that I know of (think there was an online specific one for like PS2 or something as well?).  Front Mission Evolved came out in English regions early last year or so and was pretty mediocre.