Author Topic: Xeroma's XBLA/PSN Reviews!  (Read 2756 times)

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
Xeroma's XBLA/PSN Reviews!
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:33:52 AM »
It has come to my attention that more people who go to the RPGDL have been getting their hands on 360's and PS3's as of late, and even to this day I tend to see remarks and comments that suggest that there are no good games on these consoles. The purpose of these reviews is to shed light on the downloadable service titles that may not be readily apparent to people getting these consoles for the first time, are affordable, and definitely worth paying some attention to.

Here's how this is going to work. I'm going to review a game every week out of my XBLA and PSN collections[though be warned, I just got a PS3 like a week ago so PSN-specific games will come later than XBLA specific games. I'll do plenty of multiplat games though]. I will mostly try to avoid ports, unless they're notable enough. Indie games will be done as part of the XBLA specific reviews, but I won't try to do too many of those. The price range of the games I'm reviewing will all be in the 10 to 15 US Dollar range, and on top of that I'll try not to cover games that have XBLA/PSN versions but aren't really big on that particular platform[for example, Secret of Monkey Island games].

The way reviews will work is as thus. I will divide the reviews into six sections:

1. Introduction to the game and a quick overview
2. Story
3. Gameplay
4. Graphics
5. Audio
6. Who I would reccomend this game to.

Obviously this layout will differ a little depending on the game, but that's the general idea.

I plan on posting my first review in this topic pretty soon, and am hoping to get feedback on it!

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
Re: Xeroma's XBLA/PSN Reviews!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 07:01:49 AM »
Okay, here's a rough draft of my first review. I plan on putting this up on the main page with pictures and a video, so I put in placeholder bits where I envision pictures and the like to be in the final version of this review. I really want feedback on if this review format works or not!

-------------

PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION DX

-Picture of the "cover art"-

Platforms: XBLA and PSN
Price: 800 MSP/$9.99
Genre: Pac-Man, high speed ghost eating and survival action.

Pac-Man. Everyone's played Pac-Man at some point or another, so everyone knows how the game plays. You navigate a maze, eat pellets, avoid ghosts, and occasionally eat ghosts. The formula itself hasn't changed in this game, but how it's been presented has, through the usage of lots of game modes, high speed tension, and situations that might remind the player of hardcore shoot'em'up titles.

-Picture with lots of ghosts on it-

Story: What's that? This game has no plot at all, but it's Pac-Man. Nobody really expects for something like that, or cares.

Gameplay: The meat of the game. While the basics of Pac-Man are still there, the way it is presented to the player is very little like the original game. The most important changes come from the original Pac-Man Championship Edition, where they made it so that you would eat pellets until fruit appears, and then collect the fruit to make more pellets appear. Very unlike the original, you now stay on a stage for as long as you can, or until the timer goes down or you meet your challenge goal etc;.

But new to DX are some important changes. For starters, there are more than four ghosts now. In fact, there's a lot more. New are the "Sleeping" ghosts in mazes, which stand still until Pac-Man passes by them. They will then proceed to follow Pac-Man with utmost precision until they catch him. This brings a risk/reward aspect to the game. You can try to avoid waking up ghosts whenever possible and have an easier time navigating, or you can be a daredevil and try to snake in 50 ghosts and eat them all at once when you get a power pellet for huge score. On top of that, the more ghosts you eat, the faster the game becomes, though it depends on your difficulty what the speed cap is. The starting speed level and cap depends on the stage as well. For example, on the basic Championship II stage, Easy has you start at Speed Level 1 with a cap of 30, whereas Normal starts at 10 with a cap of 40, and Expert starts at 20 with a cap of 50, though do note that some game modes have a fixed difficulty setting. These individual levels actually mean a fair amount, and Expert mode can be pretty insanely fast if you gobble enough ghosts. On top of this, after you spend enough time in a stage, the normal 4 ghosts everyone remembers start appearing in the stage, meaning you have to dodge the homing sleeper ghosts as well as paying attention to the other normal ones in the maze, which can make for very exhilarating moments.

-Picture of a closeup of Pac-Man in-game during the slowdown feature-

"But wait, Xer, wouldn't that make this game entirely too possible to screw you with bad luck?"

Well fortunately, the developers thought that too and added two entirely new game mechanics to Pac-Man to counterbalance this. One is slowdown. When Pac-Man gets close to a ghost without a power pellet, the game zooms in and slows down, giving the player time to react and steer out of trouble. It's not always get out of jail free, but it does help a lot. The other is the addition of Bombs. Yes, like those silly shoot'em'ups where you can instantly vanish all bullets on the screen instantly at a cost. If you use a bomb, all ghosts get reset to the ghost spawning gate and begin chasing after you again shortly after, not entirely unlike shot-clearing in a shmup. These two additions, combined with the much faster pace, make for a very odd blend of Pac-Man and shmup mechanics that is equally strange and unique.

-Picture of the stage select screen-

As for game modes, this game has a few. Score Attack is the most notable one, as its goal is to rack up as much score as possible within a certain time limit. There's also ghost eating challenges[eat x number of ghosts in a row], survival challenges, and a few other modes to sink into. There are 7 stages in this game, plus one from the original Championship Edition, as well as a Free Mode and a Darkness Mode that adds fog of war to any of the existing stages. There's also a pretty comprehensive online leaderboard, bringing back a little of that score-based competititon between other players, if you're into that sort of thing.

Graphics: For a game with simple graphics like Pac-Man, this game is pretty. Very colorful graphics, the visual effects add a good amount of flair without being intrusive on the player's ability to tell what's going on, and to top it off there's actually a lot of graphical filter options you can choose when selecting a stage, changing how Pac-Man, the ghosts, and even the stages look, letting the player decide what they think is prettiest.

Audio: The audio in this game is okay. It's mostly background filler music with a techno vibe, but it does a good job of fitting the atmosphere of the game. The songs tend to have a sort of rush feeling, one that goes together well with how fast the action can move in the game. The actual sound effects and the like are mostly an updated version of the original sound effects, recognizable but at the same time different.

Who would I recommend this game to? People who like really fast action in their games, as well as the shoot'em'up fans in the group. You know who you are. My personal opinion is that this is a fantastic game that's very much worth the ten dollars, but it may not be for everyone if you prefer your games to be a bit slower paced and not as nerve wracking.

-A short video embed showing off the game-
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:22:35 PM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:23:40 AM »
It's a pretty simple layout, and generally simple is best, so I approve. The only issue I have with it is how Graphics and Audio each get their own section whereas "Story" and "Gameplay" seem like they have to encompass the entirety of things like Character/Setting/Plot/Pacing/Theme or Control/BattleSystems/Minigames/Difficulty/Autonomy/StoryIntegration. I'd personally have merged the two into "Graphics/Audio" or "Presentation" or "Aesthetics" to go along with your broader categories rather than expanding Story and Gameplay.

The actual review itself is good, though it assumes a familiarity with Touhou, and you might want to reference some other games in the shmup genre in case Touhou or ZUN doesn't ring any bells. Though, if you're only directing these at the core DL members, I guess it doesn't matter. Similarly, for a more professional feel to the review, you don't need to mention that Hal specifically said X at DLCon.

Apart from that, it's a nice quick review on a simple game - succinct, easy-to-read, and highlights the key points of interest about the game. With the placement of pictures and the video, it should have quite a nice end product.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:33:38 AM »
I changed some stuff around in the review proper based on feedback in chat[which pretty matched up to your feedback anyways Djinn >_>]. This is definitely aimed more at the core DL audience, but I shouldn't neglect other users if it's going on the front page anyways.

As for the remarks about presentation, I guess you have a point, but the bit about story and gameplay is really really game specific if you ask me, and I'm generally not trying to make super complex huge reviews. It'd make more sense for your approach if more of the games I was reviewing in this column were story driven or RPGs, but that's typically not going to be the case. I can always make exceptions and change things as I need to though.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:37:35 AM by Xeroma »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:42:02 AM »
Cool cool. In that case, I'm totally just gonna make a request for your next review: Castlevania Harmony of Despair (AKA: that plotless multiplayer Castlevania crossover game made by Americans).

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
I don't actually own Harmony, plus it's mad expensive for all the content. I may get it eventually though, the PSN version apparently is going to come with some of the DLC for free and 4P local multiplayer.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 02:36:42 AM »
1. WordPress is THE DEVIL.
2. The first review is up now. I will be posting later reviews into this topic in the same format as the Pac-Man review, before putting them onto the main site. Thanks to everyone who gave feedback and a deep apology to Hal for the crap about WP earlier today.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:38:28 AM »
This is not dead. I'm going to posting my next review in here very shortly.

EDIT 3: It's up, after some extra editing!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:55:24 AM by Xeroma »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:25:41 AM »
Good review. I can never get into Metroid games and I loved this. Great value, GREAT items, probably my favourite game on XBLA.

There is a level system in this game, but I haven't really figured out what it does. Supposedly slightly improve your aim and stuff? You get experience by for killing enemies and uncovering the map.
Every 10 levels you get something ultra powerful like infinite missiles, and levels are the only thing that carries over to NG+. (Aside from one particular secret)
The difficulty settings range from "nearly immune to bullets" to "die every 5 minutes", which is nice.

Something needs to be said about the weakest villain cast ever. Every boss is a generic dude in a robot. The main villain is a generic enemy with a slightly darker suit and a deeper voice. You never get to see his face.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
The EXP system never really struck me as a major game element, which is why I forgot to mention it in the review. It does matter if you play the game a lot, since you get stuff like a full map unlock[very handy when looking for items]. And yes the game has a terrible villain cast, but that gets lumped under the "plot isn't anything special and is not why you play this game" bit.