Author Topic: Presidential Reviews (Spoilarz)  (Read 5322 times)

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
Presidential Reviews (Spoilarz)
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:39:24 AM »
So, Radiant Historia. As some of you may know, it's an RPG for the DS from Atlus. A lot of people have compared it to Chrono Trigger in just that it involves time travel, but there are a lot of other reasons to compare it to Chrono Trigger: It's an amazing game.

Gameplay

The gameplay is very simple. It is a 2D game with overhead views. The world map is a point-to-point system and you can usually just walk through completed areas without needing to traverse them again. Dungeons themselves all have enemies visible and you can choose to fight or run away. Most enemies will hop and run for you but they can easily be escaped. If you hit them with your sword you can stun them and get a free turn against them in battle. You also get an ability later that allows you to bypass whatever enemies on the screen you want.

Speaking of battle, the enemy side of the map is a 3x3 grid. Enemies can start in any panel, may be up to two panels (or more) in size and can be moved with abilities. For example, if you have 3 enemies in the top, middle and bottom row in front, you can use an ability called Left Assault to push one left and then attack two enemies in one square. You can also use Left and Right Assaults to get all the enemies in the same square to attack them all at once. There are also abilities that hit certain parts of the grid, be it front row, back row, center, you name it, it's there. The fun of the game is balancing your party in regards to hitting enemies and each character can do that in their own way.

The battle is turn-based with a small twist: All of your units take their turns in the same phase. Say, for example, you have Stocke, Raynie and Marco about to take their turn with an enemy's turn after that. You queue each of their actions at the same time and they then perform the actions.

In addition to this system is the Change system. You can have your characters exchange their turns for anyone else's, moving their turn either down or up the turn list. So, again, take Stocke, Raynie and Marco and that enemy. Their turn order looks like

Stocke
Raynie
Marco
Enemy
Stocke
Raynie
Marco

You can have Stock change his turn for the enemy, who will then attack you. You may then have 6 consecutive actions against the enemy. The reasons to do this range from convenience to damage -- as you do more hits to an enemy, you do successively more damage as well, so it is to your benefit to always hit an enemy as many times as you can. Sometimes it's good to have someone swap their turn for a healer in case of emergency healing.

Along with the battle system is the White Chronicle, the time-travelling apparatus. Using it, you can warp yourself to any point in the story you want. While you can't go to absolutely every event, the game gives you several nodes that are where you travel to. The game is split into two timelines, Standard History and Alternate History. The player is free to choose whichever one they want and may go back and forth between them at will. At times, the game will prevent you from getting too far in one by requiring you to go back to the other for something. An example of this is at one point in the Standard History, Stocke will need to perform for a commander. He will learn to do so by someone in the Alternate History, thus allowing him to continue his progress.

The game has 233 different events, which are various things like plot events and side stories. Almost all of the side stories in the game will involve you time traveling. Examples include: giving a man medicine his wife bought after he died to prevent his death, convincing a painter in one timeline to give up some green paint to himself so he can complete a picture in the other timeline, or even telling a man not to stand in one spot so he doesn't get hit by falling debris.

Characters

I love the characters in this game. I simply love them. Whether it was the localization that brought them to life or their original writing, the characters in this game simply cannot be talked about enough.

The main character of the game is Stocke, a member of the Special Intelligence branch of the Alistel army. He is a no-nonsense type of person who speaks his mind and is not afraid to ruffle feathers in doing so. As an example of this, in the very early game you're asked to hire some mercenaries into the army. You go visit them and instead of needing to go kill a monster or prove something to the mercenaries, Stocke simply draws his sword and challenges them. It's simple things like that that cause the player to really get a good idea of what Stocke is. He also has several monologues which are refreshing in and of themselves because he thinks logically about every situation in the game. There's never a point where you'll go "Stocke, what the hell man!?"

The villains in the game are just as amazing. Protea, the evil queen of Granorg, cannot be written as a more unsympathetic character. She is a rotten, vile woman who the player will abhor in every way. In this, she does her job perfectly. The player will spend their time hoping they can take down the evil tyrant.

Music

Done by Yoko Shimomura, the game's music is absolutely fantastic. The Edge of Green one of the game's boss fight musics, absolutely screams intensity and drama. You can tell where the Kingdom Hearts' influence comes from in a variety of the tracks as well. The town themes are each very appropriate, with Alistel's very quiet and proper, Granorg's severe and imposing. There is simply not a bad track in the game and I could probably identify every single track and where it's played in the game, which is much more than I've been able to say about any other game in a good while.

Overall, the game is at the very least a 9/10, if not even higher. If you haven't bought it, you need to go buy it.

If anyone has any questions or anything I'll be happy to answer them.

Idun

Re: Presidential Reviews (Spoilarz)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I demand more reviews! In this case, I'm expecting something about FF13!

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »
I think there's enough in FF13 that I can write about.

Idun

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:05 AM »
I'm venturing out on a limb when I am about to say something that may make DLers shank me. FF13, in comparison to the installments within 5 years of its release, really has some good characterization (or at least, responses I would typically expect of FF characters, but never witness when they jump into their heroic personas coughcoughSnowcoughcough)! The English VA is pretty darn good, and it is to 13's benefit that they avoided overly-childish, prepubescent, soft-spoken young girl voices for its two stronger female leads! I may be spamming your thread, but this is a bookmark in case you decide to share your opinion on its characters.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:33:41 AM by Dunie »

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
I think the characterizations in FF13 are one of the few truly positive things I or anyone else can say about the game beyond something obvious like graphics. I'll go into more detail on my feelings on them when I beat the game.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
I think there's enough in FF13 that I can write about.

Regardless of your opinion of FF13 good or bad, this is true. It certainly was a very ambitious game.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
So, I've now beaten Final Fantasy 13. It was certainly some sort of experience, although I don't think it was a very positive one all told. I will do my best to contain all my thoughts in a logical manner although I have a feeling this might be more fluid than I want it to be.

As people know, the gameplay of 13 is probably one of its core components, as it should be. The battle system is quite fun and enjoyable at first, although the fact that you're relegated to "Auto-Battle Spam" for the entire game starts to take its toll eventually. I think they could have refined things a great deal better and made it so not every single enemy in the late game was just some million HP monster that required chaining to actually kill.

I get what they were going for, I understand why they did it, but I don't think it was a very successful battle system, although since it looks like 13-2 is using the exact same system, someone clearly enjoyed it.

I'm going to take a moment and bitch about one thing that really pissed me off in regards to the battle system: If a game has some sort of action-based battle where everything is moving in real time, for the love of God, DON'T USE KNOCKDOWN ATTACKS ON EVERY ENEMY!! The sheer number of enemies that have the ability to knock you on your ass for 3-10 seconds is mind-bogglingly stupid, especially in the last area. Everyone remember Dagonites? Rush! Rush! Rush! Rush! Haha you can never do anything!

I also feel like I need to complain about the sheer number of obnoxious enemies in the game. I get that with the Retry system they can do whatever they want, but 90% of my deaths were due to things completely out of my control. The AI forgets to heal me? Dead. A bomb explodes and does twice as much damage as I have health? Dead. Some enemy just does a ridiculous combo on me that I can't survive anyway? (Looking at you, Cid Raines) Dead. It gets really frustrating to have almost all the control of your own fate taken away from you. I feel for anyone who ever just used the command entry system in 13 because it takes so long to find anything that by the time you've got what you want two or three rounds have already passed.

I really have problems with the way 13 handled battles and hope they streamline it somehow in 13-2, but like I said, I don't expect them to.

To continue on the point of gameplay, the way the game handles where your characters go is something else I have reservations with. The game literally keeps you railroaded for at least 30 hours, which is just stupid. There's no exploration, no reward, nothing. The most the game "lets" you do is find some treasure chests laying around that sometimes get to contain exciting things like Potions! I'm going to talk about the Chapter 10->11 switch a little later, because it deserves its own rant.

The way the game handles money is extraordinarily stupid, too. You're starved for money almost the entire game unless you purposely grind enemies that you can get items to sell from. Who decided that? Seriously, that was just awful. Considering money is stupid important and you need to buy things, the fact that you can't obtain it for half the game is mind-boggling too. I don't even understand why they would do what they did with the money system. Who thinks juggling over 80 crafting components is fun? It isn't. The only thing the components do is give you EXP, there's nothing about the system that is exciting at all. They could have simplified it by simply giving you money to upgrade things and making everything drop... now bear with me a second... MONEY!!!

Okay. Now it's time to talk about the story and how it handles itself. As everyone again knows, the game keeps you completely locked on where it wants you to go for 30 hours. Is this a good or a bad idea? In the end, I think if they'd just kept doing it it would have worked out a lot better. However, in saying so, I mean that they needed to keep the pace from the first hours of the game into the last. After Chapter 10, the game completely goes to shit. There's barely any more interaction between party members and the villain(s) go from being interesting to downright completely insane.

I really enjoyed the interactions between the characters in the first few chapters, but didn't really enjoy when they split everyone. I understand the end goal there but I don't think the Sazh/Vanille segments were fun at all. If they'd revealed Vanille's plot point earlier it could have been interesting, because the last 5 minutes of their arc in the Haunted House thing were really great. After that, though, especially during Chapter 11 on, the game loses all sense of characterization. I'm sorry, but "Hey guys, there's a cave here!" and the smattering of lines people have in the 10 second cutscenes don't really do it for me.

I also take issue with the fact that even once everyone's together, the game still has the notion that it can just have two characters scenes without anyone else showing up (i.e. the Vanille Eidolon scene) at all. I really think they dropped the ball on character development in the last hours of the game. I also have a lot of issue with what the goddamn fuck even happened in the Orphan scene. So the party turns into Ci'eth, then they just get better? Were Fang and Vanille just by themselves the entire time? What the fuck!?

The ending didn't do much for me either. Lightning even says to Fang "I see a future where we're all hanging out" and then Fang and Vanille go and turn into crystals. Are they coming back? Who the fuck knows!

I will say that the character DEVELOPMENT in the game was good. Lightning was a very interesting character from start to finish and I really enjoyed what they did with her. I didn't think I was going to like Hope at all based on the first hour or two but he really grew on me.

So the character development was good... how was the story? It was okay. It wasn't horrible or great, really. I'm still pretty confused about the whole thing... Barthandalus wants to destroy Cocoon but he literally can't, so he gets around it by having other people do it for him? Whatever. The game did a shit job of explaining what the fuck Fal'cie and L'cie even were, even though it decided to use the terms in the first ten minutes without ever bothering to explain what the fuck either of them are for another three hours.

The plot up until Chapter 11 was fine, if a bit convoluted and weird. Cid was a L'Cie and wanted to break his cycle of something or other so he turns into Gay Sephiroth and then fights us or something? Whatever.

The Chapter 11 split pisses me off. The game has you on the nose the entire time and then literally drops you into the middle of a fucking clearing and says "Here you go, have fun!" Without any fucking warning what-so-ever. Fuck. That. So. Hard. I don't give a shit that the game gives you a direction to go in, the game shouldn't have done it at all. You should have been able to do missions from the early part of the game as side exploration things, not put ALL THE FUCKING MISSIONS IN ONE GODDAMN AREA. HOLY FUCK, WHOSE IDEA WAS THIS?! I really got demoralized when I got to that part of the game and felt completely overwhelmed and lost.

I'm sorry, I get the fact that "Ooh, it's Gran Pulse, it's different from Cocoon!" but that doesn't make it a good storytelling device. The fact that the story pretty much dies at this point is why I probably have such issue with it... the game changes gears completely, there's absolutely nothing else that happens on Gran Pulse in regards to characters except for Vanille's one moment. Considering the driving force behind the game was the characters, the lack of them on Gran Pulse really really hits home.

I think I could on and on about what I didn't like about the game, especially considering how obnoxious it is about most of it. The main thing to take away from FF13, though, is that it's ambitious as hell but it fails to meet its ambitions at all. Is it worse to aspire to something and fail or just set the bar low and exceed it? I think that failing at something, especially on this scale, is worse than just being mediocre.

Did I enjoy the game? Absolutely. There are good points to it... like the first 20 hours. After that... eh. I can write a lot about the game, but in the end, it's just not that good a game. Probably a 6/10. I only paid 10 dollars for it, so I definitely got what I paid for.

The music was nice, but the fact that they re-used the main theme pretty much everywhere was kind of lame.

Idun

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
So FF13 somewhat suffers from Xenogears syndrome, though its conditions are solely the result of poor integration? That makes me sad.

OK, so there are more hardshell/über high chain enemies in the game? That's pretty annoying. Obtaining all the treasure chests literally become gimmicks, because as you said, you rarely reap any awesome benefits from them. A good example pre-Chapter 10 infiltration on the airship prior to the team's full reunion. There were some treasure chests obviously guarded by hordes of enemies, AND NONE OF THEM HAD ANYTHING GOOD IN THEM. After realizing this, I just ran passed all the enemies, fought the bird boss and continued.

Then you get in the interior, having to drop bridges, and the only two good treasures are towards the final doors, which means encountering some enemies purposely organized to frustrate you (re: troopers with bomb shots D: <) with a fast mfer and then an annoying stat boosting witch. It's like FF13 says "Yeah, I know you know how to daze me, but have fun trying to get to me!!!"

I've tried to do some things to mitigate going through the menu fast, because I rarely ever auto-battle. Normally I autobattle if I make an error scrolling through fast (like, aquastrike on accident, when the enemy absorbs water), or right after I change battle makeups unless I have something specific to do. The coo' thing about autobattle is that it has done effective attacks towards enemies I haven't wasted a libra on so far.  For changing teams, I descend my types based on my leader: like~
rav sen sab
rav com med
rav rav X
com rav rav
com com med  , etc.

At times, I wasted battle time by readjusting myself with the group makeups during plot switches. That was very annoying. Maybe XIII-2 will let you organize your skills? ^^;

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
If it let you organize skills things would have been much better, but the fact that it doesn't and there's no way to stop the action when you have the menu (seriously, what?) it makes it painful if you haven't memorized where everything is.

Idun

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »
Wait, you mean if you picked Aquastrike, hit okay and then wanted to cancel it? You can cancel, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »
You can. What I mean is that the battle keeps going even while you're choosing things.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »
Yeah, the game is active-time. If you desperately need to pause the battle you can, but otherwise it's supposed to be an active experience. I never found the commands got too cluttered for me to navigate and I controlled Saboteurs and Synergists frequently. It can still be stressful but that's part of the point. It would be much worse if you couldn't queue actions as your turn gauge filled up but you can. I really enjoyed that aspect of the combat system; I feel it's what ARPGs have wanted to be. You're still clearly playing an RPG (and not a second-rate fighting game or FPS) but there's more of an emphasis on thinking quickly.

FF13 seeks to apply a very specific level of stress on the player. I found that level just right and generally found the game a blast. (Dagonites, which Neph obviously hated, I found memorably enjoyable opponents, because they WILL kill you if you take them lightly but there's a host of tools at your disposal to control them, from drawing their attacks with SEN to statusing them with SAB to protecting against them with SYN's Vigilance and Protect.) I can see how it might not be for everyone, though it is adjustable (as with all RPGs) by how much you choose to level up.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 02:46:11 AM »
I admit I didn't feel much in the way of difficulty with menu navigation myself, so I feel your issue with the menu navigation may be either personal or exaggerated (I have used auto-battle a total of one time, and I remember that being more of "whoops, I accidentally hit the auto-battle button.  Oh well, it works the same way anyway, screw it."

Will agree with you on bullshit deaths, however--there's no warning that the King Behemoths on Pulse, for example, are that much better than the behemoths that've been fought as early as C10.  As well as combodeaths, and those plant-dinosaurs in C12 that the hitbox makes you stupidly -jump into their attack-.  That, above others, was what frustrated me so much in the game.  (C13 felt like a break by comparison, aside from those Undying that hit you for 10,000+.  Thank god for Deceptisols to avoid fights in that one case.)

My other big problem was with how certain Eidolon fights played out.  Requiring one reset BEFORE you can actually pick out the paradigms you need for a fight that, for all intensive purposes, needs careful paradigm construction to deal with (*coughHecatoncheircough*), and instead throws you into it with a suboptimal choice is artificial difficulty, clear and simple.

I enjoyed the battle system, and there were enough anti-frustration features (Easy reset, Eidolons as an emergency backup, -sols for if a fight is really bad) to keep the really bad parts from going to controller-throwing.  I'd probably give it more of a 7.75/10.  Not the best, but it's solid.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:33 AM »
I feel it's what ARPGs have wanted to be. You're still clearly playing an RPG (and not a second-rate fighting game or FPS) but there's more of an emphasis on thinking quickly.

Huh. I think that ARPGs were always about having the stuff everyone likes about RPGs (things like levels) without the niché parts (all the action being about choosing options from a menu) Incidentally this is why we now have levels in everything (Batman, Call of Duty, Dead Rising, Farmville) and hot menu action in very few games.

FF13 sounds like the opposite, as the ultimate menu experience. While ARPGs are overall faster paced than RPGs, I don't think the pace really matters, as ARPGs are overall still one of the slowest videogame genres anyway.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 04:05:12 AM »
I absolutely admit to my issue with the menu navigation to be personal and possibly exaggerated as well. Auto-Battle existing as an option helped a great deal and appreciate you both having well thought out reasons as to enjoying it.

I hope they can improve it in 13-2 so people like me can better take advantage of it.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »
I can see how it might not be for everyone, though it is adjustable (as with all RPGs) by how much you choose to level up.

You can't actually do this for the vast majority of the game, due to the way it so railroads you with grid levels.

Gameplay stuff:

And I used autobattle for the entire game myself. The AI handled things just fine- only time I manually put in commands was eidolon fights (ugh) and when I wanted to use a finisher like Highwind.  Ultimately there are some infurating resets in the game but the retry system mostly mitigates the annoyance factor for me. It'sclear that they wanted to make the applicable range of power for a team for any given section to be extremely narrow. A two person team really limits the power and ability of a team since buffing and healing become so much less viable when you only have one damage dealer.  The fixed grid levels means you can't get too strong, the tight money system means you can't really level your weapons up.

I really wish they had split you into two three person teams and given you access to a few missions in each section. Mmm, would have been so fun.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:04 AM »
You can't actually do this for the vast majority of the game, due to the way it so railroads you with grid levels.

You mean the level cap? If you hit that and are still having trouble with the game I'd say that, with all due respect, the problem isn't with the game.

Maybe.

Idun

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 02:00:45 AM »
Level cap? I thought you don't literally level up in FF13. You essentially just spend Crystarium points. Besides getting faster move execution in with auto-battle after changing paradigms, auto-battling just seems impractical for 13. Well, you also have the added incentive should you choose to make the leader of a paradigm a Medic, that way you don't have to worry about targeting, or healing the wrong person by moving too fast. Auto-battling just seems like it would make the game a bit boring. I didn't even auto-battle at the beginning.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 02:18:48 AM »
I used a decent mix of both auto-battle and choosing commands, and felt both had a time and place.

By level cap, I meant the fact that you can only expand the crystarium so far at any given time. It gets expanded about once a chapter. I never capped out a character, though I did occasionally hit the end of one of their grids if I favoured it a lot.

Maybe.

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »
Idun: What is meant by level cap is the limit to which you can expand your Crystarium (the act of doing so being comparable to leveling up, being a form of character advancement).

Also, I admit that for the life of me, I could NOT play Medic.  I didn't trust Auto-Battle on that front (given how it had its own problems: IE--you'd think Antidote-use would be prioritized in the second of the final boss chain), and didn't have the menu-entry speed to keep up.  Funny since other roles worked just fine for me.

Eh, maybe I'm just that bad at being a healer.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 06:58:49 AM »
You can and should use antidotes as items instead of relying on sluggish, single-target Esuna... that spell's really only good for saving money. And removing a few things there are no items for like debuffs (IIRC at least).

Maybe.

Idun

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 03:13:11 AM »
I've also never had a non-leader PC revive a KO'd team member.

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 01:36:19 PM »
Takes their AI a bit, largely if they're still healing other people who, well, aren't dead (and if someone is, chances are everyone else is injured, so they tend to prioritize "keeping others from dying" over "bringing back dead guys"  Beneficial at times, detrimental at others.

Of course, they won't revive at all if they don't have Raise.

Idun

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 03:37:03 AM »
Why would they Raise if they didn't have Raise?