Register

Author Topic: One Minute Book Review!  (Read 1560 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
One Minute Book Review!
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »
What the title says. Just a way to briefly review a book and give people an idea what to expect/your thoughts/if it's worth reading.

Title: Rose Madder
Author: Stephen King
Premise: Battered Wife flees her psychopath of a husband, makes new life for herself. He follows.
Setting: Mid 1990's United States
The Good: Rosie's flight from Norman, Norman's PoV in general.
The Bad: Anything to do with the demonic Rosie.
Memorable line(s): "Norman's palms were covered with a faint lacework of semicircular white scars. They had been made by his fingernails, but their real source was deep inside his head, an oven which had been running on broil for most of his life."

Overall:  Good story that was marred by King's usual bullshit. Norman Daniels is just one scary motherfucker on the whole, and Rosie is decent enough as the battered wife fleeing from him. Second half is forgettable, but oh well.

Recommend: Yes, with reservations.

Title: Neverwhere
Author: Neil Gaiman
Premise: Scotsman in London falls through the looking hole and finds a strange world right below his own.
Setting: Below London (Mid 90's London)
The Good: Villians, Door and Marquis to a lesser extent, the setting
The Bad: Richard
Memorable line(s): "Unprofessional? Us? Sir. Might I with all due "respect remind you that Mr. Vandemar and myself burned down the city of Troy? We brought the Black Plague to Flanders. We have assassinated a dozen kings, five popes, half a hundred heroes and two accredited gods. Our last commission before this was the torturing to death of an entire monstery in sixteenth century Tuscany. We are utterly professional.” -Vandermere (I think)

Overall: Alice in Wonderland type of story. It's just a ton of fun to read and manages to never get too bogged down in any one place.

Recommend: Yes
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:36:28 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: One Minute Book Review!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:09:42 PM »
Title: Elantris
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Premise: Zombie Prince tries to save his fellow victims of the Curse of Elantris while a Priest and a Princess battle for the soul of a country.
Setting: Elantris and Arelon
The Good: The trio of main characters, some of the plotting
The Bad:  Sanderson Avalanche overkill
Memorable line(s): ""You should know this by now." [He] said, bringing his armored forearm up and smashing it into the other person's face.  Though the bone had resisted his fist, it crunched with a satisfying sound beneath steel.  "Nothing I do is just for show."- Hrathen

Overall:  Sanderson's best standalone work. The main characters work well together, the world is put together in a fairly respectable manner and the theme of Raoden's (overcoming pain) is fantastic. The villian gets a good setup as well.

Recommend: Yes
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...