Author Topic: Yoshi's Den  (Read 1231 times)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Yoshi's Den
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:40:05 AM »
So, naturally, the first review I write isn't for an RPG. Ah, well. I'll probably review some other games soon, since I'm meant to be writing a load more at some point in the near future. ;o

Professor Layton and the Curious Village:
Got this today for Christmas, and was kinda disappointed to see that I'd got the first one, and not the (supposedly better) sequel, especially seeing as, as far as I know, the games stand alone quite well. Naturally, my initial stance of disappointment was very much a wrong one.

Gameplay: 8/10
I'll admit, I didn't know much about Layton coming into this game. I knew it was a puzzle game. I knew it apparently had a 'vibrant world', which left me thinking it would have bad characters (since I'd heard no mention of them). That was about it! Now, for those who don't know, the 'puzzle game' is mostly right, although it's also somewhat point-and-click, in the same sort of vein as Phoenix Wright's exploration side. While that might infuriate some, the map system works well enough to iron out the the PW system, and it's defintely a lot easier to work with. The actual puzzles themselves are initially quite fun and creative, although it doesn't take long for these puzzles to be reused - by the last sliding block puzzle, you'll probably be getting a little tired of them. By the end, there are still a fair few original puzzles, but it's gone from being 99% of them to about 50%. What is nice is that you can beat the main game with about two thirds of the puzzles complete, meaning you can ignore a specific puzzle type if you really hate it (or, alternatively, look up a solution.)
The thing is, it won't be long before you blitz past the puzzles anyway. This is my major complaint with this game - it's too short! I beat the entire game within a day (admittedly, playing it almost all day, but whatever), and that was playing 112/120 puzzles from the main story. The number of hint coins you pick up is ridiculous, to the point that I finished the game with about 50 and was using 3 per puzzle for most of the endgame puzzles. There are 2-3 in each area, if not more, and that's more than enough to get through with a far below average IQ, let alone that of the average gamer.

Character/Plot: 10/10.
Of course, I wouldn't have been playing it all day when I've got other games to finish if I didn't like the game, and this game had me hooked. The mysteries of the town are fascinating and, even if you figure out some, there are others that'll leave you confused from start to finish - for me, the last mystery you're introduced to (the 'secret of the town') was probably the first I figured out, whereas I didn't figure out the first one you're introduced to (the Golden Apple) until the game told me the answer. Thing is, the storyline does it brilliantly; even if you can figure out parts of the storyline, you keep playing to unravel the whole story and to see how things unfold. The characters, while simple, are fascinating enough to keep you enthralled, and the stories that develop are short yet sweet.

Sound: 8/10.
The music is generally what I consider "FFXII-like" in that it is amazing for the situation, but completely generic outside of it. The themes for the Tower and the villain, in particular, stand out as working brilliantly for the moment. Can I remember them now? Not a bit. Still, works for what it needs to.
However, the sound quality in this game doesn't lie in the music, but in the sound effects and voice acting. Minimal characters actually get voices, and those that do only get them at specific points, but they are fantastic. Luke, in particular, has an amazing voice, and Maria Gooding pulls off the curious kid perfectly. The sound effects are very much like Phoenix Wright again and, while a miniscule element from the outside, seriously add to the atmosphere and help absorb you into the world of the Curious Village.

Graphics: 7/10.
Honestly, I'm not one to care about graphics, unless they're particularly good/bad for the style. Layton's no exception here, with the art style being fun and really working with the characters' personalities, but being nothing exceptional.

Overall, Professor Layton and the Curious Village is pretty much what you'd expect from the adverts - just over 130 puzzles, mostly original with some repetition later on, and generally quite simple (with some major exceptions). However, the characters, storyline(s) and the wonderful setting for the game make it a real must-have for games fans and logical minds alike.
Overall Score: 9/10.