Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194336 times)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #775 on: April 02, 2015, 03:53:45 AM »
The trailer said that the Nohr route plot would involve an internal rebellion, so presumably the plotline involves eventually deposing the obviously evil king and putting a ruler more amenable to negotiations (i.e., yourself) on the throne of the warmongering nation. That's a more justifiable path than blindly sticking with the obvious bad guys, but it'll take some writing skill to make it work. Giving IntSys's track record, I'll be cautious about how they handle this.

Leonar really should've joined in Neutral because as it is its selection of unique PCs is really bad compared to either Law or Chaos. Oelias and Dievold are mediocre, Cerya is infinitely harder to recruit than she is in Chaos and comes later to boot, Arycelle's loyalty is a pain in the ass to work back up, and it's the only route where you don't get Gildas.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 02, 2015, 04:17:36 AM »
Yeah, firedog was as far in as I went (it was an okay fight I guess, compared to fatties who just got hosed terribly by endgame offense). I think what I'm going to do this afternoon is beat up Spoilerclasm because the scythe you get from that fight is absolutely built for my character and the only other things I can use it on outside chalice dungeons would be frue final or NG+ (and NG+ing Bloodborne doesn't appeal). Supposedly mysterious crying woman in white dress is a boss somewhere down in Pthumeria so I want to at least try and search that out.

Alternately, I could almost immediately get tired of trying to hack through low-level dungeons to get the materials to open ones that would actually give me anything worthwhile (and get at least as tired of the one remaining optional boss murdering me from full HP) and just knock out the rest of the game already. Bit easier said than done, of course. Penultimate boss was excellent, last was...somewhat less so. Full-screen HP->1 attack. Doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing, enjoy having no HP (he can also turn off your healing). Bad form.

I guess there were a lot of things I would've wanted to avoid happening in the ending. My imagination evidently isn't warped enough to call the one that did. But I don't want to be an alien slug baby! Watching the others on YouTube and geez probably the "bad" ending (where you didn't meet the true ending requirements and skip out on a couple plot bosses at the end) is really the least objectionable. Another From game, another world stuck in a seemingly unbreakable and self-perpetuating cycle of despair. Except I think Yharnam is really the grimmest one they've made. I don't think you can even legitimately save anyone in this game? If they're not crazy at the end, they're dead, and if you leave them in their houses then presumably the monsters just get them. Can't just leave everyone sitting together in Firelink Shrine and avoid talking to them again so I don't make them go hollow, everybody's screwed no matter what. Wonderful.

Probably my general impressions are all well apparent by this point, but for summary's sake:

I'd say that Dark Souls 2 is a more refined game overall; Bloodborne has more warts, but it's more ambitious.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm surprised to find that I actually prefer the former even though Bloodborne is vastly better at a number of things that are usually more important to me. Bloodborne's environments are amazing, that nice DS1 sheen of gloss and obsessive detail is back with a vengeance, and level designs are sprawling, intricate and involved (if perhaps sometimes too long). Combat's smooth, the dodge is fast, fluid, cheap and spammable and facilitates lots of cheap shots with dodging transformation attacks, catering extremely well to the ways I prefer to handle Souls games already. Boss designs are mostly amazing, visually and combatwise, and sometimes almost unbearably tense to fight. New music guys did a fantastic job, and properly righteous noise is a major component of making Bloodborne's boss fights memorable (as it always should be!) Songs aren't always brimming with melodies you'll remember away from the game, but at the least the music's always perfect for amping up the tension as appropriate. Bosses in Bloodborne almost always have some combination of phases/low HP attacks/frenzy states, and battle tracks are composed to shift in tone accordingly as the fight gets more frantic. One of the more bombastic examples, in which From sez "Guys, we know this is only the second boss, but we need to make it absolutely clear that we are in no way fucking around" (minor spoilers I guess): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA614N3IHD4&index=5&list=PLCLeSTzz6trY_Qn_8vMnqO9TbqesAM4x6. We're a long way from Taurus Demon here.

(I'd've happily linked the penultimate boss theme there instead, because it's the only piece of music in Bloodborne that shoots for Sif-like majesty instead of being outright unsettling and terrifying as its principal traits, but it's also a huge spoiler.)

I'd recommend Bloodborne for anyone who's previously enjoyed a Souls game because it is definitely an Experience. Unfortunately, I can't express any interest in replaying it for a number of reasons. It's shorter than I expected, but that's not really a problem since I'd had enough of it by the end anyway (memorable game that doesn't overstay its welcome >>>>>>>>> the likes of Skyrim, thank you very much). Not to say short exactly, since there's still more to it than Demon's Souls (I had a bit over 40 hours in by the end? But there's a certain fraction of not really necessary ore farming, co-op and dungeon diving in there), but still, it took me about half the time DS1&2 each required the first run through. But mainly I just can't think of anything else I want to do with it. You have an admirable arsenal of moves with any individual weapon (since they all have two forms), but still, the overall number of them is fairly limited, and the only other one I saw that I'd really want to mess around with any is the cool katana (which is a very late drop anyway, so nah). Additionally, the possibility of exhausting non-renewable resources works against what made the Dark Souls formula work so well, and in this case deters me from trying bosses until I figure them out because there genuinely is a distinct penalty associated with repeated death. If something still looked like a problem to me after a couple deaths, I'd usually just resort to summoning someone just to stave off the looming specter of farming up heals. This isn't how I'd prefer to deal with things, but if the alternative is potentially having to waste my time building up inventory again, then I'll take the cheese option. Finding people for co-op is also kind of a hassle sometimes, though--the lack of summon signs means you can't even get an indicator of whether or not there are even other players in your area, and when I found myself wanting to play with someone else, I usually wound up waiting much longer for summons or signs than has been usual for new Souls games in the past.

The drastic shift in focus 2/3 into the game also really soured me on what was left. I don't see how we got from point A to point B, one minute there's a plague of beasthood afflicting a city and the next everything's about space aliens for some damn reason, and though someone somewhere can probably point to a bit obscure lore that proves a connection, this is really more of a problem with tone and mood and makes me feel like I played one game that just happened to cover two wholly disparate stories. Early on the bosses tend to be hunters or clergy that tried and failed to combat a scourge, and fell in the attempt. There's a relateable, tragic human element to this that makes your adversaries more satisfying to fight, something most of the best Souls bosses had going for them too (Astraea, Artorias, Sir Alonne). Vicar Amelia's a pretty great example, not one of my favorite fights mechanically but starkly despairing in exactly the right way. You walk into the cathedral, watch her turn into a monster yet continue desperately clutching her holy emblem in one oversized claw; the arm holding the amulet constitutes the boss's actual weak point and that is a great touch. This human element is largely lost in the latter portion of the game, with rather startling abruptness. Priests accidentally turning into what they were trying to fight is something I can get behind thematically, but cultists operating on a basis of "Turn self into horrible abomination from the stars -> ??? -> profit!" is more of a struggle to wrap my head around, at least in a game that's already given me a more satisfying alternative.

But y'know, complaining about plot in a From game. It was still fun to play even when I was sitting there wondering how the heck the game got to all these strange endpoints from where it started. So it's a cool game with flaws, left a definite impression, personally find it lacks the potential mileage of either Dark Souls game, but one (mostly) enjoyable good run through it is enough to call it a thing worth playing.

Final stats (level 80):

VIT 36
END 26
STR 12
SKL 25
BLD 5
ARC 25

90ish insight

Blade of Mercy +10
Threaded Cane +9
Hunter's Pistol +6
TORCH (Hunter's variety, not that I ever used it for damage. Except for that one time when, um, sorry Arianna, I wasn't exactly aiming for you)

I was wearing the Cainhurst armor at the end because I actually wanted the defense (not that it mattered much, the final boss still combo'd me to death from full HP a couple times). More typically I preferred the noble dress + Crown of Illusions and knight clothes to round things out; doll set, black church and crow set all nice and saw plenty of rotation too.

Number the dead (Cids) time! Boss edition, generally euphemized or acronymed because new game is new. An asterisk indicates I had assistance (this happened a fair bit near the end because I was losing patience with the game).

Everyone already knows Cleric Beast is the first boss: 3
World's worst dad: 0
BSB: 0
Distaff Pinwheel: 0
Walkingdog.gif*: 2
Onsssssse a maaaaaan/why'd it have to be snakes/Notzgul/waytoomanypossiblenamesforthisfight: 0
Electric mayhem: 1
Obligatory spider boss*: 3 (I said Fuck It after the magic barrage straight up murdered me from full HP from across the map)
Pope Gwyn*: 2
LASER BEAMS not as scary as his actual level: 1
Royal alien vanguard*: 0
Stupid piece of shit I gave up trying to kill: 6
Ultra-gross!*: 0 (I'd called in allies for the hunter mob earlier in the zone; both died at the boss, but the headstart was probably still crucial to victory)
Lord Fenrirhat: 0
MWN*: 1
Spoilerclasm: 5
Talkin' about big bad moon: 5

Kind of a small number of bosses for a From game, think even Demon's had more? The average level of quality is higher than usual, though.

Probably 50-60 deaths total counting exploration. I didn't die much during the normal business of traversing a level and went through plenty of them without any casualties at all, so most of those are accounted for by a small handful of areas that were just too awful to handle in any slow and disciplined fashion: descending the well beneath the workshop; Nightmare Frontier; post-red moon Unseen Village; and, most especially, trying to get past the brains in Mergo's Loft to get that final weapon upgrade. Braiiiiiiiiins

Here, have one of the Fenrirest things I've seen in a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvQ-OThPwM

Also, it took me forever to place exactly what BSB's horn-blaring musical motif reminded me of and I finally nailed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUgaw6MyF0k&list=PLB2F7CC7864261450&index=2 (For the Grefters, but in 5/4 time.)

~

I guess I could start PoE now but you guys there's a shinier version of DS2 coming out next Tuesday (and I clearly haven't played that too much already). For reference whenever I get around to it, it sounds like Easy really = Hard? I couldn't make up my mind looking at the character options when I booted it up last week. I was thinking moon godlike something or other? And then I noticed rogues have high starting Perception and the rollover text for that stat said I could catch people lying and SOLD because more dialogue options.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:45:38 AM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:48 PM »
I don't think it is THAT hard.  Normal is kind of okay challenge if you aren't Laggy though.

Most of the skills and stats are pretty okay for dialogue choices as well.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 02, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »
Also, I now can play games made after 2008 on my computer. Any Steam-friendly recommendations?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 02, 2015, 05:13:47 PM »
IIRC you get the Clapping gesture by helping Eileen against Pops G replacement. It's gleeful. Yaaaay *clap clap*
Oroboro used it in his PvP vids.
This is the state of PVP now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5gFcoQHDIM

You get the tentacle high five in Lecture Hall. Beat Pops, Beat Vic, Open Sesame, talk to Patchy Patches, (HUGE SPOILER) get betrayed by Patches, voila. I don't really want to beat Vic right now though, so I'll have to wait.
The Patches reveal was perhaps the best moment in the game for me. That or Iosefka's clinic.

I think you have forgotten that there are two obligatory spider bosses. Is the second one Royal Alien Vanguard?

Ready for Dark Souls 2 2.0?

I've tried the FFXV demo, that battle system is super shallow and boring. They might potentially make it interesting at some point but as of right now it looks like it's going to be brain dead visual spectacle.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 02, 2015, 05:38:01 PM »
Also, I now can play games made after 2008 on my computer. Any Steam-friendly recommendations?
I guess you could like
VVVVVVV
Jazzpunk and Stanley Parable
Half Minute Hero 1/2
Crypt of the Necrodancer

Edit: Cid, guess who got almost killed by the Hemwick boss
Twice
Maybe I should just quit Souls games
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:15:05 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 02, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »
I see you editted out DARK SOULS from the post, Fenny.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 02, 2015, 09:28:46 PM »
I fucked up Eileen's quest because it's complete FAQ-bait. Why would I revisit an old boss room that has nothing of note left in it during this specific window of time, right? By the time I heard about the extra fight, it was too late, and when I met her again after the red moon she was crazy and tried to kill me. I was obliged to retaliate in kind (this was not easy, she's more dangerous than several of the bosses); killing her gets you her equipment but no gesture, alas.

RAV is something I think you didn't find, Fenrir. It's past the locked door at the top of the workshop (key is very carefully hidden in Unseen Village) and it is decidedly unspiderlike. I guess Nightmare Frontier boss is pretty damn spiderlike now that you point it out but somehow that didn't occur to me at the time (which is crazy considering, well, you know). The Obligatory Spider refers to Byrgenwerth or however the hell you spell that place boss.

The shameful thing in Hemwick would be actually dying, Fenrir. I did at the very least almost die against even most of the bosses I beat first try, that fight included. "Hey, I've got a reach weapon and they move really slow, so what if there's four of them coming at me at once, it's a narrow path and I can stunlock the whole mob, right?" (Not right, but VIT investment prevailed.) I've actually died to Pinwheel himself man don't feel bad (I was running for Wrath of the Gods immediately after Capra okay.) Also I YouTubed the chalice fight vs Crying Girl because the requirements for reaching her sound tremendously annoying. Holy shit does she really eject streams of blood at the player from her violated womb. She fucking does. What in the fuck From.

I have a list of probable builds prepared for Scholar of the First Sin because I don't have a problem at all.

I will definitely second VVVVVV and Stanley Parable as far as Steam games go.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 02, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
I see you editted out DARK SOULS from the post, Fenny.
Yes
You can still try it out... IF YOU DARE
(I can gift it)

I fucked up Eileen's quest because it's complete FAQ-bait. Why would I revisit an old boss room that has nothing of note left in it during this specific window of time, right? By the time I heard about the extra fight, it was too late, and when I met her again after the red moon she was crazy and tried to kill me. I was obliged to retaliate in kind (this was not easy, she's more dangerous than several of the bosses); killing her gets you her equipment but no gesture, alas.
You know, I actually finished the entire Eileen quest without even looking for it. I'd never have found out about the Unseen Village or Upper Cathdral Ward though.
It's a shame, I think Approval is the best gesture I've seen. (Wave being a nice old favourite)

The shameful thing in Hemwick would be actually dying, Fenrir. I did at the very least almost die against even most of the bosses I beat first try, that fight included. "Hey, I've got a reach weapon and they move really slow, so what if there's four of them coming at me at once, it's a narrow path and I can stunlock the whole mob, right?" (Not right, but VIT investment prevailed.) I've actually died to Pinwheel himself man don't feel bad (I was running for Wrath of the Gods immediately after Capra okay.) Also I YouTubed the chalice fight vs Crying Girl because the requirements for reaching her sound tremendously annoying. Holy shit does she really eject streams of blood at the player from her violated womb. She fucking does. What in the fuck From.[/quote]

I've died to literally every Demon's Souls / Dark Souls / Dark Souls 2 boss. EVEN THE CONGREGATION. I must have died like five times against Pinwheel. I really didn't want to remove the hemwick boss from the list of bosses I've not died to.

It actually has some sort of psychic grab attack that does quite a lot of damage and takes a long time to recover from. It's obviously really easy to avoid though. I got hit anyway by it (twice)

I have a list of probable builds prepared for Scholar of the First Sin because I don't have a problem at all.
YAY

Harry Potter updates:
Augur of Ebrietas is decent, but I can't really rely on it entirely. It owns those annoying NPC hunters at least. Useless in PvP (I'll wait a bit before trying other Harry Potter invasions)

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 03, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »
I've died to everything in Dark Souls 1, though it took like NG+++ for Gaping Dragon to finally cross himself off the list.

I've never died to the Congregation, Dragonrider, and I think frog mama. Pretty sure everything else in Dark Souls 2 has done it. Yes, even Covetous Demon. Fenrir please tell me you didn't seriously die to Dragonrider.

Only three Demon's bosses actually killed me, but I've only played that the once. Maneaters, Penetrator, False King, for reference.

~

PoE: I started as an elf rogue (on Normal) anyway even knowing I'll almost certainly get sidetracked from this next week. Sound planning skills. Anyway, I don't want to alarm you guys or anything, but it turns out bears are pretty scary.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 03, 2015, 01:05:31 AM »
I've died to Dragonrider. At least two times. One in the SL1 playthrough. One in one of my many Failed no deaths runs in which I felt too cool to bother activating all the switches. I fought him on a desperately small platform with a low level character, played too defensively, died.

You've died against Penetrator but not against like the Armored Spider or Flamelurker? Wow dude

Harry Potter invasion success 0/3. I have the rune that lets me transform into mist to roll, it does basically nothing, costs 6 bullets, and lasts like 10 seconds. Looks amazing though. Leaves a good impression on the invaded.
Some gestures can now last until the player reacts. Some guy I invaded was just sitting in a corner, waiting for me. PvP got way better.
I got the holy blade, my build is 16 str / 12 skl / 30 vit / 26 arcane. The holy blade's transforming animation is the best.

I've also befriended the Old Yharnam guy, and the requirements for this are ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:15:59 AM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 03, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
Look you can die to Dragonrider due to a number of factors.  My death was because of trying to Belmont him.

Lemme think back on who I've never died against...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 03, 2015, 01:40:45 AM »
You guys.  I die to like all the dumbest shit in my plays of Souls games.  The only things I can honestly say I haven't died to was stuff I cheesed the fuck out of (never even saw Alant)

This includes Pinwheel, Congregation and False Idol.  I think I have died to Fume Knight more than I did to O&S and I at least beat those guys.

Snow here is a random pile of stuff from my Steam list, not all mad Snow bait, but stuff that I think is interesting and worth while that Fenrir hasn't already mentioned

FTL
Transistor
Bastion (But you have played Bastion, you have to have played Bastion)
Deus Ex - Human Revolution (Director's Cut)
The Longest Journey and Dreamfall games
Fallout New Vegas
Grim Fandango Remastered
Another copy of Puzzle Quest 2
Trine 1 and 2
X-Com
Life is Strange if you want a episodic adventure game going on at the moment.
Stanley Parable (Fenrir what are you doing?????)

Unironically I kind of want to see what you think of Saint's Row 3 and then 4.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 03, 2015, 01:45:32 AM »
Incaution as always a leading cause of Souls deaths. You'd think after a while we'd learn, but then you wouldn't have been paying attention.

I was scared of pyro clowns so Stonefang was the last zone I properly explored, by which point I'd long since realized that the most potent weapon I could employ against the game was just having way too much HP (I even survived Garl's parries). I came in with a +5 or so greatsword and was more than prepared for stomping earlygame bosses with minimal trouble. So yeah, SpiderLurker victory mostly just credited to ignoring them until way later than was probably expected.

Sit, Pray, and Make Contact will all persist indefinitely until you tell the game to stop. If you wait long enough in Make Contact, your character will eventually shift arms. I like this one. Bloodborne has a lot of nice gestures, although two games later I still miss having a proper facepalm.

What do you even have to do to make nice with Old Yharnam dude? (I'm told his name is Djura, and will henceforth use that because it's shorter, notwithstanding this explanation.) The first time I went through the zone, he was immediately hostile when I climbed up his tower. After he very nearly killed me several times, I ran away. I only came back much later, by which time I'd killed Darkbeast and opened up the back door. This time, when I climbed back up to Djura prepared for a fight, he was mysteriously not hostile. I have no idea what I did to make him friendly, but it could only have been on accident. He asked me not to kill the beasts, I said No because you better believe they were trying to kill me, and then he attacked me again. Apparently I missed out on a gesture because of this?

~

Kneejerk rec for Steam was to go shit man New Vegas! Because come on, it's me. But I couldn't really see it being a Snow game at all. EDIT: SR3 grants a plethora of ways to look fabulous and I unironically recommend it on these grounds alone.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:51:13 AM by El Cideon »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 03, 2015, 02:20:40 AM »
Bastion is one of the games my old PC COULDN'T run, in fact. And I'll buy it again to fix this.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 03, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
I always thought it was strange Leonar never joined you. He's like an important plot PC (more so than most of the other dudes you can recruit) and there's a perfectly valid reason for him to join. It's like they derped and forgot to make recruiting him an option.

Snow: The only game I would really recommend is Civ 5 since its great. Everyone here who has played it likes it. The only other steam game that comes to mind that I can think of Long Live the Queen which is RICHARD and Tal approved, but not sure if worth the price tag if you can't get it cheap.

Also I play games. Kinda. Have been learning VP2 RTA for about the past month and a half. Probably the most complex and risky run I do where everything from Evolver onwards is "screw up one little thing and get rekt"
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 03, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
I'm VERY WARY of playing Civ due to just one more turn reasons. I have a job, dammit

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 03, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
Gref, my Stanley Parable recommandation was right there in my post, next to Jazzpunk, in the "Walking Simulator, and not Real Game for Gamers" category
(Gone Home also sounds good in that genre BTW. Probably better than Jazzpunk, but less good than Stanley, if you had to choose. The Stanley Parable is brilliant)

El Cid: Actually that's the right way, and only way to befriend Djura:
Get him mad, avoid him alltogether instead of fighting him, kill BSB to make bloodsack enemies appear in the world, get killed by a bloodsack enemy, get transported to Happy Village, destroy SoulsDarkBeastPal, enter Old Yharnam from the back door without Djura noticing you, go up his ladder and and surprise him.

One thing we haven't yet mentioned about Bloodborne (More like CasualBorne) is that it has a whole lot less bottomless pits than Souls games. Falling damage is going to kill you like 3-4 times in the whole game, tops (multiply that number by 10 if you're trying to get to the old workshop without following a video playthrough)
I don't know if the lack of bottomless pits a good thing or not, but I do kind of miss this constant fear of dying from rolling in the wrong direction or something. I also miss pushing enemies into bottomless pits.

My defeat against congregation in Dark Souls 2 was another failed 0 death run.

From the start of the game I was going straight to Tseldora, ignoring a lot of enemies, going into the Congregation boss room with like only a +4 weapon and 5 Sunny Delight charges.
My mindset was "Lol Congregation, I could handle them with a fresh character on NG+++++. With this character, I already beat the giant scorpion lady. I can handle this"

As always, as I entered the boss room, I tried to bumrush priest#1 straight away, but couldn't quite kill him in one R1R1R1R1R1 spam attack. I got hit a bunch of times in retur,n by the mage, priest#2, and maybe one of the crawling guys.
 I retreated to a corner of the room to heal, came back, but in the meantime priest#1 had healed to full.

I tried to R1 spam him again, but mid-R1 spam, priest#2 managed to fully heal him AGAIN.

I realized in horror that I could actually die against the congregation. Oh my god.
Then I realized that I not only could die but that I probably was going to die against the congregation.
With lots of amusement, but also confusion/anger at the situation, I whispered VP Surt's death quote while internally going through the first three stages of grief. So I dramatically said "EVIL...? YOU MEAN TO SAY EVIL PROSPERS???"  while actually feeling confused at the same time.
Cool, right? This should be on my obituary.
(However, unlike Surt, I did not really feel confused about "evil prospering" per say. So it might not count)
(Though, to be fair, just like Surt, I definitely did not accept this. So it might count)

Anyway, then I started getting real serious and playing real well against the congregation!!
Then I died.

One of my best Dark Souls moment.

Hey Fudo, where have you been. No PS4 I guess?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 03, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
I'll second the Long Live the Queen rec, seems like something you'd like. Good fun and doesn't make large demands on your time.

Nier - "Weiss, you dumbass!" 1x stupid mask get.

Order of Ecclesia - Beat Albus mode. Some of the later bosses were actually quite nasty as Albus' advantages are rendered relatively unimportant. I had more trouble with Blackmore, Eligor, or Dracula than I would playing as Shanoa on NM, certainly. Eligor's mostly a matter of not having glyph unions for the final phase, and for Dracula I actually had to learn how to deal with the first phase without just Volacticus-cheesing it, although I liked how Albus could handle the dogs in stage 2.

New Super Mario Bros. U - I've played this before, but only as a group (which is great fun). Decided to try it out one-player, which makes for a different experience. Star coins are harder to work for, but the less chaotic experience means I die less. At least so far.

Wild Arms 4 - The best. So, I'm doing a challenge run this time: no items, no turn manipulation (Intrude, Slow, Quicken, Turn Shift), initial equipment. Not too bad at first but it's going to be terrible down the line I'm sure. Stuff before Celesti Ruins was easy so I won't detail it.

Earthbound Dead - The main highlight here is that he got like 14 turns and Raquel got one. lol Slow Down. Anyway, Raquel's one turn was for Poison Bite which worked really well. His damage isn't great but he still killed Yulie, which put me on a timer, but poison's timer kicked in faster.
Jeremy 1 - Ouch. I pretty much just tried to keep Yulie/Arnaud alive long enough; he killed Raquel (before she got a turn, duh) but then he moved to a non-central hex. Jude moves to the central hex, Arnaud and Yulie move away from Jeremy and use Shut Out. Raquel and Jude die but I win.

Raquel's totally going to be the LVP now; I thought of banning Red Zone but realise that at this point she'll badly need it, so I won't. Not sure about Crisis Reflex Up.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:24:33 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:36 PM »
No PS4 so no Bloodborne.  Honestly, even if I had a PS4... I probably wouldn't get it.  Farming Blood Vials and bullets inbetween boss attempts is just not something I want to to.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 03, 2015, 11:37:10 PM »
PoE: Started a fighter. I'm going for dual wield, but I haven't decided on a weapon yet. While I'm not trying to make a power build, I feel that I should at least consider that option carefully. So far the game is fun although I am noticing that Obsidian haven't done their math too well.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 04, 2015, 12:50:43 AM »
You actually have a bunch of choices for weapons.  Specialization being by a group of weapons is cool.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 04, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »
I can't choose to specialize in scythes and medie-guns, then find one of each in the whole game, anymore?

0/10 game

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 04, 2015, 02:21:55 AM »
FF1- The Rako twins ride again. FFX PSX, Thief/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 04, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »
Two thieves? That sounds like endless suffering.