Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194357 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #675 on: March 26, 2015, 02:33:56 AM »
Yeah, I eventually found set #3. I'm wearing it now. It looks a little different from the storebought set?!

I took the pistol but it does shit damage because my starting build has BLOODGUNFAITH as the gimped stat. I almost exclusively just use it to aggro mooks. I should probably just pump Arcane through the roof because there is no way I would have beaten boss #2 without molotov power. I think that is just going to be my answer to goddamn everything.

Leveling unlocks after you meet Cleric Beast. I'm not sure if it matters whether you win or lose on the first try (I died and got warped directly to the leveling NPC).

I got lost a whole helluva lot just going back to pick up stray items and scout out overlooked passageways, which is part of why item stock is starting to bloat out. Adjective "sprawling" barely begins to cover the area.

Forgot to mention I get pretty decent damage out of throwing knives. Thrown weapon damage getting stat-scaling was probably overdue.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 26, 2015, 02:41:07 AM »
The blunderbuss does terrible damage too. Like, 24. I only use it for counters. I wonder if the pistol is as good about countering, and if so I don't really see the point of the blunderbuss.

I don't even have a good stat!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 26, 2015, 02:43:55 AM »
Go get killed so you can fix that!

Okay, I am going to grab some Discworld and climb into bed now so my nerves can stop twanging.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 26, 2015, 02:45:54 AM »
Gaining any insight at all unlocks leveling.  You get 1 insight simply for encountering the Cleric Beast, but there are consumable items that give it to you too. 

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 26, 2015, 03:11:59 AM »
With Pillars of Eternity due tomorrow, I'd like to ask for second opinions from more regular PC gamers on whether to get it via Steam or GOG. My kneejerk is to pick the latter on the principle of being DRM free, but I'd prefer to make sure I'm not missing out on any major features of Steam I'd be missing out on due to not really using Steam much.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 26, 2015, 04:39:54 AM »
With Pillars of Eternity due tomorrow, I'd like to ask for second opinions from more regular PC gamers on whether to get it via Steam or GOG. My kneejerk is to pick the latter on the principle of being DRM free, but I'd prefer to make sure I'm not missing out on any major features of Steam I'd be missing out on due to not really using Steam much.

steam has automated patching, GOG doesn't

that would be the only reason to choose steam

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 26, 2015, 04:58:48 AM »
Don't forget sunk cost fallacy!  I already have all these steam games, I can't escape the environment.

Goddammit Fenrir stop making this game sound good to.  I was all ready to dismiss it on the strengths of Cid's snap judgements based on 2 hours of play.

I don't have another 2 years to devote to understanding a game enough to not be confused by it any more but still have an incredibly fragile love/hate relationship with it like I do with Dark Souls.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:53 AM »
Sorry, I'll mention other positives:
- Starting outfit is super classy
- I didn't really want to go with the most worthless class, but the description sold me on it: "You are nothing. Talentless. You shouldn't have been born"
- I lost it during character creation, when I went to the glasses menu and saw that there were like 9 kinds of Harry Potter round glasses , one monocole and nothing else
- There is way too much detail in the environments
- I have encountered one regular npc but could knock on about four doors and get answers from hidden NPCs? I don't remember what they said to me beyond basically " Don't even talk to me, I'm not going to open, Gtfo"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:57:52 AM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:13 AM »
This really doesn't help me with my dilemma (but I still love it and you <3).

Jim Sterling had a video where he knocked on a door about 6 times until the man in the house' screams started looping.  Then he knocked on another door with a woman that screamed at him.

It is a Shane I think I would hate the play because the design of the game looks aces all the way.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 26, 2015, 12:41:32 PM »
Fenrir make sure you knock on the house with the little girl who's worried about her parents for proper prepare to cry (it's related to a boss fight). Most houses with inhabitants seem to have a light on outside to signify that, but this one's actually just a window so easy to overlook. It took me a long time to find this and I wouldn't have if my brother hadn't pointed it out. It's in the immediate vicinity of a shortcut door, but there are a lot of those so I'll try to give specific directions: from the central Yharnam warp point, go right like you had to do at the beginning of the game because nothing else was open yet; run past all the mooks around that huge bonfire so you wind up in the fountain plaza with the first batch of not!harpies and the huge guy banging on the door; cross that and immediately veer left instead of ascending to the bridge with the dogs; she's immediately on the other side of the closed iron gate you should see there.

(I'm just guessing you've already opened this gate and overlooked that there was someone to talk to there, like I did. The gate opens on the other side; it's the shortcut you open after taking that huge ladder up out of the aqueducts, immediately above the obvious trap item surrounded by corpse dudes.)

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 26, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
Oh, right, Pillars of Eternity? I've got some extra keys if anyone who wants it hasn't already ordered it. PM me if interested.

Edit: 5/5 spoken for!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:30:51 AM by El Cideon »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 26, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
I went to the glasses menu and saw that there were like 9 kinds of Harry Potter round glasses , one monocole and nothing else

Welp.

So when does the PC version come out.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 26, 2015, 03:40:31 PM »
Some notes from this morning before I run off for real life stuff:

-In the Cathedral Ward now. Finding gun stagger works really well against the lantern jerks here. It really is this game's parry except the timing's a little more obvious.

-I found a top hat. Instantly I look like every depiction of Jack the Ripper ever.

-I found a glowing blue cloud and in the name of science decided to walk into it. I teleported fifty feet into the air, turned into a werewolf, and died. Okay.

-Insight is not lost on death. Also you're basically guaranteed to have ten of it by the time you get to this zone, so that's okay, we can add another thing to the list of inaccurate Cid assumptions. Turns out you just need to have ten insight in stock in order for the special store to open, don't have expend it. The store vanishes again as soon as have less than ten again though, so buy everything you want in one go. I dumped all my insight on world's worst dad outfit.

-Got some co-op in. Your max health is cut down while in someone else's world. Not sure how much. It doesn't look as extreme as half? But then again I say that because I'm comparing the bar to my stamina bar and now I wonder if maybe that gets cut too. This is probably fair either way, because I don't see any apparent increase in boss durability with extra players, and what was horrifying single-player last night is almost trivialized with with a full group. Counterattack health regain is also a huge help multiplayer since dudes are constantly getting staggered by the other players and this makes it a lot easier for you to hit back. I might just refrain from summoning dudes altogether because out of 3-4 co-op runs they were all fairly stress-free victories.

-Hilariously, the Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. Memorial Bridge goons are scripted to activate when you're past a certain point on the bridge, not when you cross that point. This means that if you warp in to the opposite side and then walk up behind them, they'll immediately charge across the bridge at nothing and then their big friend will immediately roll a boulder over them even though you're not in the line of fire. Free echoes!

-I found a shield! I have no idea how this works mechanically since there's no stability stat.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 26, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
Paper Mario - I finished this, for the Kaitlyns. :) Fun game, certainly not perfect but reasonably enjoyable. I like the partner system, makes for lots of interesting decisions within the battles. I generally preferred Bombette and Bow over the other characters, although Watt's defense-ignoring was useful sometimes. And Goombario having scan means that he is always relevant. I really enjoyed the balance of decisions than the game has with HP/FP/BP, although I generally thought the game slightly favored BP, then FP, then HP. My favorite boss fight was Huff-n-Puff because it makes you employ a strategy besides just a slugfest. Bowser was a little less enjoyable relatively because it's just a pure slugfest, but Bowser is amazing as always. Plotwise, the game isn't as funny as the amazing Bowser's Inside Story and a bit less amusing than SMRPG (and the game has very little serious plot to speak of), but the tighter mechanics probably elevate it above either game. Not sure, though. 6-7/10?

Now to mostly disappear from this topic for a while. <_<
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:12 PM »

Obviously you get it on Steem so that when you play it your Steem friends will see you playing it and know that you have impeccable taste - and that will help with your...self eSteem.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 26, 2015, 10:36:31 PM »
Really it's a great way of letting people know what you're up to without having to actually talk to them.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 27, 2015, 02:10:52 AM »
Thanks for the thing about the little girl.  :(

The good news is that I beat the first boss on the first try and am no longer lost, having explored everything so far... I think?

The bad news is that I spent all my souls on getting 16 STR and buying a kirkhammer, and while it looks insane it's much worse than my good ol' axe. You know how blunt weapons are reliable in Souls game, while bladed weapons sometimes do half damage? Yeah, well it looks like it's the opposite here. I also bought a completely useless lantern and clothes.

Second bad news is that I'm dying over and over against the second boss. Especially that later part of the battle where he just goes in this Attack -> Attack -> Attack -> Attack -> Attack -> Attack -> Attack pattern.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 27, 2015, 05:25:55 AM »
The music box the girl gives you is supposed to stun him when he's frenzied? I'm hard-pressed to cite exactly how long though because I was too busy going OMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD to really estimate. Pops is a monster. And yeah, I don't see any ways out of Central Yharnam other than through him. Cathedral Ward opens up a whole bunch of options immediately after that fight, though (in addition to the zone itself being reasonably lengthy). Speaking of!

Today's progress: I am incapable of killing the Cathedral Ward boss. She deals way too much damage and I deal way too little; the one serious attempt I made, I ran out of healing after chipping through at best 40% of her healthbar. Fortunately, she doesn't appear to be blocking anything (other than like 40% of her own damn boss arena, god dodging is a bitch in there) so I was still free to explore other zones.

Old Yharnam is the longest straight run without a break that I've ever encountered in a From game, and I am indeed taking Shrine of Storms into consideration here. Two words that should never go together gatling sniper.. I wasn't exactly keeping careful track of time, but I feel like it could've been as much as an hour and a half to two hours to clear the place from top to bottom (granted, moving slowly with extreme caution because I don't know where everything is, but still, that's just one successful run there, not a death loop). Resource exhaustion was a definite thing by the time I found with tremendous relief the area's only significant shortcut (although I might've been better off if I hadn't wasted a ton of resources on a futile attempt to kill the badass hunter). There was a developer message at the end outright suggesting I summon someone for the boss, so I gave it a shot to see if there was an NPC helper about, but nothing happened. I'm actually not sure how you'd go about specifically summoning an NPC in this game or even knowing whether one was there, given there are no actual summon signs in Bloodborne. But anyway I could see the boss from outside its room and it didn't look like much from afar so I just walked in alone as usual and OMIGODOMIGODOMIGOD

So...so they're all going to be that terrifying? Okay. Okay, then. (Even the Pinwheel analogue was a little scary.)

I finally found a nice priestess outfit. I have a proper skirt now and I can curtsey. We're making progress. Actually, it almost seems like the outfit has altered the reactions of some NPCs? A couple people in houses and another priestess actively greeted me as though I was a member of the church (quite fearfully in the former case; hardly a surprise considering half the bosses I've encountered were clergy). Seems a bit much for coincidence that it only started happening once I switched to this outfit, but then I can't exactly reload and talk to them with another set on to check because autosave.

The crystal gecko analogue in Bloodborne is decidedly lacking the previously established quality of cuteness. Ewwww. Also I do not recommend trying to block bullets with this game's shield, or perhaps blocking anything at all with it.

I don't exactly know where I should be going right now. Old Yharnam's clear, Hemwick's clear, and neither seemed to link to other zones in any way I can presently access. I guess I will go back to Yahar'gul and attempt to evade porcine revenge. (I have not previously been successful at this.) By the way, Fenrir, whenever you get to the top of the Cathedral Ward and wander off to the right to explore the neighboring zone? If you see a tall gangly dude with a huge bloody sack (thankfully I don't mean this in the Shaded Woods hollows sense), let him kill you.

At this point I feel comfortable solidly recommending Bloodborne to anyone who's previously enjoyed a Souls game (I can't imagine coming into this without prior experience of From's shenanigans). It's exactly as tense as it needs to be and boss fights are nightmares made flesh. I'm not convinced there's enough cool equipment to warrant the kind of replay value I got out of DS1&2 (half a dozen bosses in and the number of weapons/armor sets I've found is each still in single digits), but the game is definitely impressive enough to warrant a once-through. I suppose the length of some zones and the distance between warp points and shortcuts might be offputting to some people? I haven't had much issue repeating stuff since I rarely die during exploration at this point, but we're miles away from the relative brevity and convenience of Dark Souls' zones here (and it doesn't matter how much they try to overhaul Dark Souls 2, it'll feel like a vacation after Bloodborne).

-Dodging occasionally does strange things to the camera when your enemy is exceptionally mobile. This is especially noticeable with barking crows and the Old Yharnam boss, who can move so fast that they fly right by you on a successful dodge and the camera spins in a rather disorienting manner to try and maintain lock-on. Not a huge problem, but a select few obnoxious enemies + Cid's easily confused sense of direction can equal bad times.

-You can't transfer directly from one warp point to another, you always have to warp back to HQ first and then transfer from HQ to your desired location. Especially given Bloodborne's load times, that is a distinct nuisance if your immediate business involves a lot of travel. Also, if you're trying to farm up a specific item, there's no resting at a bonfire to make enemies respawn--as above, you need to warp home and then warp back to make the enemies reappear. Since enemies appear not to ever drop actual equipment, there's less reason to farm anything in the first place, but still, bit of an unnecessary hassle when there is something non-storebought you want to stock up on.

I guess that's kind of it at this point? Everything else that initially bothered me stops being an issue once you've grown out of being an incapable starting-level character.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:33:40 AM by El Cideon »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 27, 2015, 07:42:43 PM »
Bloodborne: Holy shit Shadow of Yharnam. First try victory, way more proud of myself than I should be. Hooray for dodging attack transformations. Hooray for throwing knife finishing blow!

At some point items got more expensive? This is probably fair since attack items get scaling now and healing is obviously percentile-based. Probably still good to stock up while they're cheap though (not sure what the trigger is for price increase, would guess defeating specific bosses).

I ran out of other places to go (Darkbeast obviously isn't going down anytime soon), so I just called in help and smashed up Amelia the easy way just so I could move on to a new zone already. The boss fights against approximately human-sized enemies are amazing, but I'm a lot less fond of the "Here is a giant mutant wolf, can you guess exactly when to stun it?" battles. So then I moved on to Forbidden Woods, which is just the confusingest goddamn place ever in conjunction with being tremendously long (the grueling marathon levels are starting to mitigate against me wanting to play this a second time, however impressive it is the first). I probably spent half the time there backtracking and at least half of that not realizing I was backtracking. Ugh. Also welcome to Trappington Village, population: Traps. I only lived through the bird pit because through dumb luck the camera happened to position exactly where the ladder was. Save me yakkety sax ladder climbing, you're my only hope.

I actually found a nice outfit that isn't black or brown. (!!!) Unfortunately white is a bad color to wear in a game with persistent gore effects. I'll pass. I also found a snazzy electro-mace, but using it just gets me killed because I'm used to having a lot more range on enemies. I'm not sure I can see myself using anything other than the whip by this point, reach and occasional terrain abuse are such huge advantages. Belmont mode definitely confirmed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:40:51 AM by El Cideon »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 27, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »
Unfortunately white is a bad color to wear in a game with persistent gore effects. I'll pass.

Have you tried singing?

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 27, 2015, 09:44:47 PM »
Can't see link, not an SA member.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 27, 2015, 09:52:33 PM »
The heroine main character is one of those magical music anime types.  She dresses in all white & gets copious amounts of red splattered on her during her murderous rampages, but her Devil Trigger equivalent includes all of:
A)More powerful & faster attacks,
B)Changing the music to have singing in the background
C)Being a dry-cleaning service that restores her clothes to pristine white.

Much like the cycle of life, once Intoner Mode expires, she can resume painting her clothes red, until there's enough that it's time to cleanse it with singing again...  give it a try in Bloodborne!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 27, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »
Why'd you have to remind me I played Drakengard 3, Snowfire.

What did I do to you.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 27, 2015, 10:18:25 PM »
Why'd you have to remind me I played Drakengard 3, Snowfire.

What did I do to you.

Man, it's not that bad. Aside from the goddamn grindfest D ending of course. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck whoever thought that level of requirement was a good idea.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 27, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
Bloodborne:

Bloodborne is bloody fantastic, I love it. Can't talk now. Need2playmore