Author Topic: Strategy Tournament Noms  (Read 537 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Strategy Tournament Noms
« on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
Wait, what?  Yup, after over a decade in retirement, the Strat Tourney is returning!

Of course, this is not going to be the old interactive fiction strat tourney.  Instead of a story, it's going to be a more standard tournament format.  Also, because I don't think that there's any real point to skill divisions, I'll instead be doing a size division.  This means three divisions to nom for.  Feel free to go for about 6 people in each division, and since this is the first go, it'll be a bit experimental.

Tactical Division
The standard form of a SRPG, this is just one fight with forces ranging from FFT sized to FE sized.  Because, let's face it, neither of them are all that large.  Troops are whatever the contestant can bring to the fight, and will involve them pitting their forces against what the other guy has.  If the character is not associated with any squad they can bring in, then generics will be provided for them.

Strategic Division
If the last one was about the battle, this one is about the war.  While before named characters could be used as combatants, in this case, no game has enough named characters to really turn the tide on their own.  But, they can still be subcommanders if that's a reasonable thing for them to do.

In this one, each side will be given a country and an army, and their goal is to take the opposing capitol.  If competitors have their own army, then they can use it.  If they do not, then they'll be given a generic one.

Special Forces

While the other two are about winning a fight, just on different scales.  This one is about how well a team can accomplish goals that don't involve beating the other side in a fight.  This will involve a lot more parallel competitions like who can capture a flag or secure and open a gate faster, or that old standby, who can burn down supply depots/senators faster.

I'm about to be off for a couple of weeks, but when I return, if there's enough noms, I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Strategy Tournament Noms
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »
I'm wondering if it's possible to nom something like Fei in Xenogears for the Strategic Division...

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy Tournament Noms
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:13:25 AM »
As in Xenogears is his army?  I'd be cool with that.  This is a first run so being flexible seems like a good idea.