Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 94265 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1700 on: August 06, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »
TMS:#FE - getting wrecked by gangrel on hard mode, owww my spleen
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: August 06, 2016, 10:21:13 PM »
XF fiesta run notes:

Rules:
-Randomly roll one class from each set. For every battle, use at least one character from each chosen class if possible, and no other class.
-Use no more than four people unless forced. Plot PCs only. Tony may be used if fewer than four plot PCs are available.
-Can use other classes if a fight would otherwise prove impossible.

Elementalist as the first class.

1-1 (road): Trivial
1-2 (gatehouse): I forget to buy spellbooks so only Clarissa does real damage but I still end up killing the boss on my first try.
1-3 (Poliasha): [1 reset] Bait the enemies to come through the chokepoint as I smash them hard with spells, but they're really strong so I still lose once.
1-4-A (prison stealth): Elementalist is the single worst job for this, I do it anyway so it can be done with any job.
1-4-B (prison rescue): [3 resets?] Not sure on the exact number, this is difficult because the old man dies to one attack from the boss + two slingshots, or just two turns from the boss. Only way for Elementalist to do this is to kill the boss before this. Labby/Felius can take out one of the slingshot users, the other starts to far away, Clarissa just starts ripping into the boss, after blocking the old man's advance and pulling the boss into easier range for Felius/Labby to come help. Levin's not really relevant.

1-5 (jelly blobs): The grimalkins kinda spoil magic but not hard enough, in fact magic is still a reasonable way to take them out because it gets around their melee counter unless they're already at melee. Obviously fire explodes the jelly blobs themselves.
1-6 (Samille and El Jackson): Tony gets some real use here as always, especially taking out the out-of-the-way Elementalist at the start. Anyway every PC gets an Antidote to use after they have waded through the swamp, and then I take out the enemies from below easily enough. I do burn a fair number of items.
1-7-A (guardian shrine): [2 resets?] After mucking around with various attempts I send Tony to get the chest in the middle, Clarissa to solo the elementalists with her resistances, and Labby/Felius to cut through the secutors. A bit dicy but I do pull it off, takes around 80-some of the 99 available turns.
1-7-B (Levin rescue): Levin is in fact able to solo his side of the field as an elementalist, which I'm not really expecting; he has to back up and use items a few times. The other side first needs to take out various enemies as they charge forward, with a particularly problematic foe being one secutor who resists all elements. Careful management of healing and so on gets me through.
1-8 (Magnus): [1 reset] Round-robin revival might get through this but blah. Anyway Magnus can be lured over towards a cliff edge where I can lob spells at him but he can't hurt me, cheap but whatever this map is too long without Fantastica to try to figure out a more fair way to win.

Second class is Geomancer.

1-9-A (detector): Somewhat impressively this is the first battle I have to break the rules for. Not much of a battle of course. Use Detector, blah blah blah. I think I have 1 reset but who cares.
1-9-B (Mathis): Mathis is an asshole, with his 550 res and elemental resistances I can't do damage to him with magic, and physicals do 1. So they only way to win is to run him out of MP. Shut Out forces him to do that, although his speed makes the post-Fragile Sanctify attacks nasty (and you lose if anyone dies). Once that's gone though it's a matter of keeping him under Shut Out as much as possible, reapplying it and healing and backpeddling whenever he does break loose, until he runs out of VP and his HP drains down to 1, at which point a book/shuriken poke wins.
1-10 (Rupert): [2 resets] I only have two PCs + Tony and I send Tony to get the chest which makes this battle harder than it should be. Fun fact, there are some ley points here but they're not terribly relevant. Otherwise just need to be careful of a Slow Down -> blitz the enemies are quite capable of against my bad HP, and I screw up twice.
1-11 (puzzles): [several resets doing experiments] I learn that the second stage of the battle (the first with just Levin/Felius) requires Levin have a 4-climb class (so Martial Mage or Excavator), which is the second cheaty point of the playthrough. The fourth requires both be in 4-move classes, so both go Geomancer, and hurl shurikens/items as they go to avoid being chased down by the death laser. I only have one shuriken, sadly, so I need to use a couple attack items to get through. The fight at the end is pretty nasty because Follow Around halves magic so Geomancer Felius can only use weak physicals for like 4HKO while Elementalist Levin is also reduced to around a 3HKO with magic (2HKO before), and their speed makes this a bit scary, especially on Felius' side. But I win first try.
1-12 (paigeols): I have two great classes for this fight, as Geomancer resists their elemental attacks and can Replace them off their leypoints (or even onto the opposite one for an instant 9999 damage), while Elementalist can just hit them pretty hard against their -100% elemental weakness.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: August 07, 2016, 12:58:52 AM »
Alpha Sapphire:

Up to Norman. Fire gym had the potential to wall Team Hunter if Exp Share didn't overlevel it (2 Grass, 1 Ice, 1 Steel, plus an Electric and 2/3 of the pokemon there are also Ground or Rock type). Skated by on the power of Normal moves and terrible enemy pokemon. Decided to turn Exp Share off except inside Gyms after this (makes sense thematically).

Still trying to decide on what to use in the last slot for the Trade-Evo. Leaning Golem. Because there are a few Pokémon on that list that would be useful at least as HM fodder (He really needs something for Surf or Fly), or to cover typing.... Golem is none of these. So it's perfect for Team Hunter!

Got to my old Secret Base on Route 111, was vaguely amused that they swapped the layouts of the two on the Mach Bike path plateau. (The dual-level room used to be the one on the far-right, now it's the one in the middle). Stuck Secret Power on Roserade, because of course Hunter would use the roses as keys to his secret base.

If anyone has ORAS, bring it along to DL-Con to swap secret bases.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: August 08, 2016, 01:25:05 AM »
Xcom2: Had a lazy day in so started this.  I've seen a couple of LPs so I know what to expect  but it's still very fun.  Class balance has problems (Sharpshooters are absolute fucking shit outside of fanfire) and the RNG is evil, but it's still a super enjoyable game with a lot of thought put into it. It's nice to play an AAA game and enjoy it, which I haven't done much of at all since like the PSX days.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: August 08, 2016, 07:17:38 PM »
FFBE - So I thought it might be a good idea to post what my current team is, as well as who I have waiting in the wings.

Vaan 5*80 - Full Break is insane.  A boss that can do 2K damage a turn can now only do 1K damage.
Kuja 5*80 - Graviga is very, VERY useful to have for clearing Trash, and having it natively is awesome.
Rain 5*60 - He's my strongest extra slot available, but is eventually going to get replaced by Bartz
Lasswell 5*60 - See above, except his position is a little bit better due to being able to use this great Katana
Fina 5*76 - She's my highest level healer, but once I get Lenna up, she'll get replaced.

That's the team I'm using for Demons Unleashed - ADV.

Other people I have out:
Maria 4*60 - Useful if only because Healer + Healing Limit Break.  Nothing too remarkable otherwise.
Rydia 4*51 - Useful only for farming Evocations.  Blizzaga would be useful to get, too.
Russell (Core Gladiator) 4*36 - Is Bladeblitz even usful at all?
Kain, Kain, and Kain - Gungnirs.  God I can't wait until they put Trust Moogles in this game.

Waiting to be leveled:
Bartz - Apparently the third-best Physical Attacker so far.  Haven't even looked up what he gets natively.
Lenna - Apparently the best Healer option in the game?  Will work on her later as well.
Krile - May as well get her powered up for when she can awaken to 5* as well.  Plus, if I ever get Rydia's Trust Reward, she can dualcast Blizzagas or something.
Tellah - Apparently one of the best Mages in the game right now?  Also gets Raise if I'd need to use that, and two more to farm for the MP+30% skill.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: August 08, 2016, 08:28:29 PM »
Mega Man 3: Was bustering, said **** it at the Wily Bots and just sort of did what I wanted, but anyway, still fun, though I do wish MML3 had a Navi Mode just to turn off lag.

Pokemon Blue: Yay, Flash time to teach Pika*overwrites Thunder Shock accidentally* ffffff...ah well, guess I'll just ditch him after Rock Tunnel, once I get Vaporeon.

...and Rock Tunnel still sucks.  It's amazing how much more annoying this is without a legit Water type or Kadabra, aka Pokemon who have legit (non-Fire/Electric) Specials to nuke through all those annoying rock types.  Yeah, Bellsprout/Weepinbell gets the job done, but Vine Whip is only 10 PP.  I could have taught Mew Bubblebeam, but I want to save that for Vaporeon, who needs to wait 6 levels to get Water Gun.

Anyway, in Game Corner.  I got Vaporeon as I said, also picked up Doduo and replace Fearow because seriously, Dodrio is basically just "Fearow+" and taught it Tri-Attack because what else will they learn?  Also taught Graveler, Mew and Charmeleon Submission so I can beat up more Rock Types.  Gen 1 Fighting sucks, and this is about the extent of the use it's going to get...

Oh and yes, I could have given Dig to Graveler, or someone Seismic Toss...and don't even have an excuse for the latter!  Dig, though, I'm purposely holding off on that until I get Rhyhorn, whose level up set is god awful in Gen 1.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: August 08, 2016, 09:21:42 PM »
Pokemon Y:

I've realized that continuing to use Charizard is silly, because Mega Evolution is bollocks anyway, and if the problem is the game is too easy, then lightening the flavor restriction makes no sense.  I must prove that my Darkness can overwhelm regardless.  Anyway, the electric gym was shockingly competent (DEDENNE SWEEP with Charge Blast?!), since oh god Electric Terrain + Thunderbolt OHKO all my dudes as they come out.  The fact that I'm running both Azumarill & Greninja didn't help, along with no Ground-type Pokemon.  Fairy Gym was funny since STAB Moonblasts kick the ass of my 4 Dark Pokemon, but my Fairy Pokemon could mostly carry anyway (Florges & Azumarill).  For extra humiliation, let Umbreon take out Sylveon...  well after Sylveon had blown all his Dazzling Gleams at least.  Cost some potions, but oh well.  (I can only imagine what the Fairy gym would be like in a Darkness-only challenge.  Pain.)  Also, the haunted house dude is terrible at getting tips.  I go there hoping for something spooky, and he demands a tip or else something hideously scary will happen.  I of course refuse the tip...  and then...  nothing happens?!  Crap, did I lock myself out of an event or something?  Sigh.  If you are running a HAUNTED HOUSE pls don't advertise not giving a tip, spooky is the goal here.  Team Flare @ the Pokefactory fails as usual; all of the bosses sporting exactly 1 Poke each?  Also, while I get having a "theme" for a Team so that you get to know them, they hit the point too strongly here to the point of repetitiveness - please give Flare a few more Pokes to choose from than the same Scraggys, Mightyenas, Houndoom, Croagunks, & Liepards.  Heck, even found a blog post on the topic:
http://aminoapps.com/page/pokemon/6864224/a-better-team-flare
Although that doesn't get into just plain having more options for Team Flare, rather than more aesthetically pleasing ones.  (I mean, sure, Golbat is cute, but you'd think Flare would be up for more conventional beauties considering their ideology.)

Also, a random Vileplume in the woods drained like 5 Hyper Potions from me trying to keep my freaking Pangoro afloat vs it.  My paralyzed Pangoro at +6 Attack who kept losing turns.  Gosh darn it.  Pangoro you suck.

Also, the soundtrack to this game is pretty damn forgettable, but it randomly got good recently?  Route 15 is p. awesome music, totally at place in some epic fantasy.  Laverre City's music was pretty fitting too, actually.  What happen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANamw2Fs6VY

Fire Emblem:

On the optional Kishuna Magic Seal mission, which I clearly missed out on when I originally played this ages ago.  Looks like some frustrating RNG for actually killing the dude, considering his evade.  OTOH, is that a Silver Card I see there?!  Score.

Also, while the "dudes swarming your boat" mission is not EXACTLY hard (they're pretty low-level), it's surprisingly easy to put frailer characters in range of too much death if you're not careful or suffer a key suprise miss.  And then the boss is sporting Luna, with its 20% crit rate?  And I don't think you have Longbow access yet, and since it's Luna, RES-tanking isn't gonna work?  I got lucky, and was playing emulated anyway, but I can only imagine how frustrating taking the boss down would be on a cart.  (Had another incident which would have been frustrating on a cart...  mostly finished the Uhai mission, then SURPRIZE Nomad Short Bow crit on Erk at a 4% rate from the fog of war.  Erghk.)

Since I'm *lightly* attempting to SS rank this run, my money management resembles an episode of "Hoarders."  Yes, Lyn, keep that White Gem...  forever...   we'll place it in our inventory with the other gems, where they will sparkle like the sun. 

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: August 08, 2016, 09:35:15 PM »
To deal with Zoldam (the ship boss) you either need to have someone with 37+ HP (doesn't work on HHM) or a lot of critical evade (easy to get if you grind supports at the end of each fight, otherwise probably won't be enough to null though you can get reasonably close). On average the best way to do it is to use someone like Lyn who has high luck/evade and her own decent chance of crit to strike first and take him out, so the overall odds of death becomes quite small (fail to crit * get hit * get crit). Alternatively you can certainly just ignore him; it's what I did on my first playthrough where I saw that crit and just nooope'd out of it. You can still safely steal from him by rescuing Matthew with a mounted unit right after.

Fog sucks but you can alleviate it somewhat by keeping Matthew reasonably near the front using torches often, 12+ fog vision should keep even any short bow nomads visible. Though of course you'll likely fan out on that map so this strategy doesn't work perfectly even then.

Killing Kishuna is RNG but there's also no compelling reason to do it, not even Exp. (He just retreats if you succeed and his level is super-low.) Unless you're trying to get the Hector-only, "grind Nils to Level 7 in Lyn Mode" super sekret sidequest which is really stupid and I will defend nothing about it whatsoever.

Maybe.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: August 09, 2016, 03:56:01 AM »
So my Gyarados evolved with 2 goddamn Dragon moves. I hate life.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: August 09, 2016, 05:22:42 AM »
Elf: Fair enough.  I've got like maybe 1 support at C at the moment that might vaguely matter, and got extremely few supports last time through FE7, and doubt I will be getting many now since Tactics seems to be the hardest ranking.  Unlike FE6's generous turn counts that assumed you were getting super-lost or something.

Also, belated, but too bad you weren't that huge a fan of Ori.  I really loved it!  I haven't played Rayman, though, so can't really compare the platforming there.  Anyway, I found the escape sequences super-intense and they were among my favorite platforming sequences I've ever done, so.

Pokemon Y:
Oh hey the Move Relearner finally showed up.  And I have only 1 Heart Scale.  And there's a whole bunch of moves I'd like - Moonblast on Florges, Night Slash on Greninja, Draining Kiss on a few second-tier sub Fairies, etc.  Maybe Confuse Ray on Umbreon or that super-powerful Fighting move for Pangoro that also slows him down.  Decisions, decisions. 

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: August 09, 2016, 05:35:45 AM »
Oh, I wasn't hyping having more than C supports there without grinding, no. (Maaybe Eliwood/Hector B, but they're not good choices for that boss anyway.)

You can get more Heart Scales by fishing up Luvdisc, if you want. They're on the west coast somewhere IIRC.

Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1711 on: August 09, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
Xcom2: Had a lazy day in so started this.  I've seen a couple of LPs so I know what to expect  but it's still very fun.  Class balance has problems (Sharpshooters are absolute fucking shit outside of fanfire) and the RNG is evil, but it's still a super enjoyable game with a lot of thought put into it. It's nice to play an AAA game and enjoy it, which I haven't done much of at all since like the PSX days.

You should pick up the Shadowrun games if you dug XCOM.  They get better as they come out but they're all fun in their own way. Plus they're cheap.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: August 09, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »
Oh, I wasn't hyping having more than C supports there without grinding, no. (Maaybe Eliwood/Hector B, but they're not good choices for that boss anyway.)

You can get more Heart Scales by fishing up Luvdisc, if you want. They're on the west coast somewhere IIRC.

The city where you got the fossil. Use the old rod.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: August 09, 2016, 11:31:52 PM »

You should pick up the Shadowrun games if you dug XCOM.  They get better as they come out but they're all fun in their own way. Plus they're cheap.

I haven't finished Hong Kong yet myself, but Dragonfall at least is something I'd recommend to everyone on this forum.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 10, 2016, 01:38:08 AM »

The city where you got the fossil. Use the old rod.

I drive on her streets
'Cause she's my companion
I walk through her hills
'Cause she knows who I am
She sees my old rod
And she kisses me windy
I never worry
Now that is a fossil.

NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: August 10, 2016, 03:50:41 AM »
Recent stuff:

I am Setsuna - I quit about halfway in. This game is super dull and I start yawning within 20 mins of playing because of the scenery and music. It's not doing anything novel and has the problem a lot of modern RPGs have with throwing you a zillion meaningless options that over-complicate what should be a simple, enjoyable game. The story is so by the numbers it hurts. Setsuna herself pales miserably compared to Yuna, and the same can be said for most characters in the game with respect to the characters they are based on. I really wanted to like this game, but man. I'm over it. I picked up Chrono Trigger again not long after throwing in the towel and was immediately swept in to it once again in spite of playing it so many times already. For all this game wants to imitate the classics, it sure is missing that magic that made them engaging.

AM2R (Metroid 2 remake) - Wow. I didn't expect to finish this game thinking it could be the best Metroid game. It's truer to the series' aesthetic and gameplay sensibility than anything Nintendo or Retro Studious have released since Super. I had a wonderful time playing this game and couldn't put it down. What really makes the game is its control; it combines the best aspects of Zero Mission with Super and even adds some nice innovations like single button morphing. Samus moves really fast, which takes a slight period of adjustment, but I ended up liking quite a bit. Excellent map design and enemy encounters, far beyond what I'd normally expect from one of these games. Some really enjoyable nods to Fusion and the original Metroid II as well! Got 90% item completion and look forward to trying to get sub 2 hours. I can't recommend this game enough to Metroid fans, though you probably snagged it already. It may be my GOTY when all is said and done. The sad thing is Nintendo probably could have made something like this, but it actually would have been worse had they done it. My only real complaint is that some of the later bosses have command grab/stagger attack BS that I hate in action games, but in the scheme of things it is pretty minor.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 10, 2016, 04:24:59 AM »
I drive on her streets
'Cause she's my companion
I walk through her hills
'Cause she knows who I am
She sees my old rod
And she kisses me windy
I never worry
Now that is a fossil.

Under the Nugget Bridge so low?

====================
jsh, AM2R already got hit with a takedown by Nintendo.  After being in development for 8 years.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: August 10, 2016, 05:29:51 AM »
jsh, AM2R already got hit with a takedown by Nintendo.  After being in development for 8 years.

Fortunately the internet is unstoppable.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1718 on: August 10, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »

I haven't finished Hong Kong yet myself, but Dragonfall at least is something I'd recommend to everyone on this forum.

I keep meaning to play the new version with the epilogue content. I really liked the conclusion to Hong Kong though, and I think it's probably my favorite party ensemble, although I don't know if I like any one character as much as I do Glory in Dragonfall. Maybe Auntie Cheng.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: August 10, 2016, 04:50:27 PM »

I don't play much in the way of games any more. XCOM definitely hits a lot of the sweet spots, though it's pretty unforgiving (I'm playing on Veteran+).
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: August 10, 2016, 05:21:59 PM »
Pokemon Blue: After gettnig Pokeflute, I bee-lined to Fuscia, skipping as many trainers as I can on the bicycle path, to get to the Safari Zone so I can get Rhyhorn, and thus finally use that Rock Slide and Dig TM.  Also got Surf and Strength, which went to Vaporeon and Mew.  I question if giving Mew Strength was a wise idea,but I can't imagine it being a BAD idea either; it's not like he's going to use much beyond like Psychic outside of the stray psychic type, which a decent physical move (such as Strength!) would cover anyway.

Pokemon Tower was mostly covered by doing my traditional get Gastly -> beat up Fighting gym in Saffron (got Hitmonlee because it's the closest thing to a competent fighting type in Gen 1) getting it a bunch of levels and evolving it into Haunter along the way -> use that to beat up many other Ghosts.  Doduo got some work with Fly, as did Graveler with Rock Throw...speaking of which, I do not miss Rock Throw's atrocious gen 1 Accuracy.

Honestly, there's a bunch of things I actually don't miss about gen 1 in general.  Namely all of the following:

-Having to go into the Pokemon menu everytime you want to use an HM; forget what Gen started it, Gen 3 the latest but might have been in 2, but going up to a tree and being able to use Cut on the spot makes all the difference!
-No Move Deleter.  Thankfully, HM moves are generally better than TM moves because lol Gen 1...
-...speaking of which, good lord is gen 1's TM Set atrocious.  Razor Wind, Horn Drill, Skull Bash, Double Edge, Teleport, BIDE...and they all take up space.  It's like FREE MONEY.   Water Gun isn't so bad because it's gotten at an appropriate time and clearly meant to be used for Mt. moon itself, so I'm fine with that.  Meanwhile, no access to the likes of Flamethrower is "ugh" seeing as the only way to get that is via levels, and all of Vulpix and Charizard learn it at a decent level (and even then, Charizard is level 46, 42 if you hold off the evolution 6 levels...which I might actually do because Flamethrower is that big a deal, so really it's just Vulpix at level 35.)
-100% accuracy moves being able to miss, since they're actually "255/256" accuracy moves.  It doesn't come up often, but it's a pain in the ass when it does come up.  You expect that Ember or Peck or whatever to finish the enemy off then MISS!
-Inventory Limit.   I don't think I have to explain this one...
-How boxes were handled.  the fact that I actually have to keep track of my full boxes and change when I hit 19 or so is blech.
-Misleading damage indicators.  This is purely psychological, granted, as the damage is the same, but seeing Weepingbell get hit with a Poison Attack and it says "It's super effective!" when it's actually neutral is urgh
-Wrap and Bind style moves.  Yeah, ok, neat concept, but when the enemy uses it on you, it's annoying, not because of the moves effect,but because of how much time it feels like it's wasting
-Sleep. Got put to sleep?  Enemy uses it again and you're sleep locked!  Also sleep can undo itself the turn it's applied, meaning all you did was stall a turn and you're down 1 PP on the move.  I'm pretty sure in Gen 2+, you're guaranteed at least 2 turns removed from the enemy if they don't have like Early Bird.

Game's still fun, but seeing all these old-school style design aspects and lack of polish really highlights just how far Pokemon has come in 20 years, and why anyone who pines for good old RBY days needs the nostalgia smacked out of them.  No, those days WEREN'T better, you were just willing to put up with a lot more shit when you were in grade school than you are as an adult!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: August 10, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
FFBE:  Decided to farm a Gravity Rod before the event goes away.  I can beat the Advanced stage but it requires me to pay attention to the game so I'm doing Intermediate stage instead.  Getting about 20 Demon Hearts a day so I'll have enough in time.  Getting enough Farplane Souls is another matter, I'm only about a third of the way on making Void Vessels.

Not sure what to do with Lenna.  She has great stats and can equip rods but... can't learn Black Magic.  Which leaves her only offensive spell as Banish which has a horrible multiplier.  So she'll probably sit on my bench until I get to some content where I need her durability more than I need Krile's flexibility.  They need to swap Krile's shield equipping with Lenna's rod equipping.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: August 11, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
I've been playing A2MR as well. Not as enamored with it as jsh, but I'm also not a Metroid buff in general, and it is good fun. New stuff comes surprisingly quickly, which makes exploration that much more fun while cutting back on backtracking. Solid controls, too.

Shovel Knight: Bought it on 3DS, beat it, then beat Plague of Shadows for good measure. Great game, lives up to all the hype it got when it came out. I think I prefer Plague Knight to Shovel Knight as gameplay goes, but I'll probably do NG+ runs with both at some point.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: August 11, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »
Regarding Pokemon RBY, one other thing I really don't miss about gen 1 is the poor documentation of moves. I remember holding off on teaching my primary water type Surf because I assumed Bubblebeam would be better (not sure why, might have checked a guide which called one "strong water damage" and one "strong water damage WITH A CHANCE OF SPEED DOWN"), and I deleted Slash for Fury Swipes. Ugh.

I'm pretty interested in this Metroid 2 remake after some of the good reviews, even though I haven't played Metroid 2 yet. Maybe I should do that first?

Wild Arms XF - End of chapter 1, aka this game just got hard. :(

1-13 (rhinos): Relatively easy, though I do lose one PC to petrify + shatter. Usual mix of elemental magic wins this pretty easily overall. I gain access to Combination Arts and they're okay for taking out grimalkins who resist all elements but mostly I don't even bother.

1-14 (town defence) [8 resets]: The hardest map of the game so far, the winning strategy ends up putting the entire Geomancer skillset to good use. How the map works: there are initially five enemies. Once two are killed, three more show up. Once a total of four enemies are killed, another three show up. Spacing out the reinforcements is key to giving me more time. Anyway I have Labby and Levin as elementalists, Clarissa and Felius as Geomancers, all with the skillset of the other. Felius and Levin start on the right near an earth leypoint, which they can use to Translate (warp) to the back of the map near a bunch of berserkers, and start eating into them. I also have them use Replace once the Berserkers move past them to essentially push them back while simultaneously getting them into range to blast more of them as they move forward. Meanwhile Labby and Clarissa go and wait near the left for the excavators to show up. I kill one of them then Shut Out the other, buying me some more time for the guys to mess with and weaken the Berserkers. Eventually when Shut Out is about to wear off I kill the second Excavator. This brings in the three reinforcements on the left.

The Geomancer is the real problem since he has an unrestricted 8 move. I place Clarissa and Labby to block the progress of the berserkers (not entirely, but so that it takes them way too many turns) and fire spells at the Geomancer, who dies in about three. Shut Out's an option for him too. Killing him and one Berserker brings in the second set of reinforcements, which is the hardest part of the fight. I have Levin fire a spell at the right Geomancer than Replace with him once he moves past, buying me some more time. I also at this point start picking off all the greatly weakened original Berserkers, but making sure the Geomancer dies (their armour makes them resist elements) while not letting the two new full-health berserkers past is tricky, I need to use a combination of Replace, Shut Out, and careful positioning to pull it off. (I can only move on turns I heal or throw gems; I do use a few of those even though they're the same as elementalist spells if I badly need to move that turn.) Labby and Clarissa finish up their side first so they're able to use the spare turns to Ley Spread a nearby fire leypoint to power up fire (important because fire is the best element to use on the right Geomancer anyway) and Translate over to the right side where they can help cleanup. Clarissa's out of MP at this point but gems/etc. do help.

1-15 (zombie invasion) [1 reset]: Ragnar is bad due to only having one skillset, I stick him in Geomancer and maybe this is a mistake, I dunno. Anyway, this is a marathon map in which I have to be careful about positioning, healing, etc., to not be worn down too much. I don't have too much to say about strategy specifics. Once the reinforcements show up I mix on some backpedaling to not be swarmed by too many elementalists at once, and also try to minimize the number of times the Sentinels can strike me, since they hit hard (fortunately the sand panels slow them down and Shut Out can hold them up for a while). I have good luck on the winning run and not a single one auto-revives, which is good because my tactics are relatively poor and I lose Labby during the initial reinforcement rush and Clarissa at the very end.

1-16 (Black ARMs) [5 resets]: Last time I did this I at least had Switch to heal the townsfolk, this time I have nothing. If a civilian dies I lose and I don't have many ways to prevent this. The tactical uses of Replace shine in this fight, as I can either Replace an enemy away from hitting civilians, or Replace a civilian to safety at times. Pretty cool. The biggest issue comes near the bottom of the map where one civilian gets hit by a Fantastica w/ Geomancer OC's Shut Out making him harder to save. I use Replace twice with Levin (once on a Secutor in the centre of the map, once on a Sentinel) to get him into range of Shut Out, which causes the Fantastic to hit him with that instead of going for a hit on the civilian, which is crucial to keeping him alive later. Otherwise it's mostly a matter of using Replace/Shut Out to control enemies while beating them down with spells, especially with my real elementalists (the geos with their much lower damage mainly run the utility moves). Of course I can easily die too so I have to stay on top of my own healing, being very careful about the turn order and figuring out what enemies can do what. Tricky since there are four targets to protect but eventually I refine my strategy enough and am careful enough that I win.

Maybe.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 11, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
You can for sure play AM2R before Metroid 2. You would probably appreciate it more if you had played Metroid 2, but I can't really say since it was one of the first video games I ever played so I have lots of memories. The game also references all the other Metroid games, so you can jump in with any series knowledge really.