Author Topic: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!  (Read 129631 times)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: Rank Characters based on In Game Use: Reboot!
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
... ... ...
okay I'm definitely misremembering something. No way I had him anywhere near that high/RNG-blessed. Maybe he wasn't doubling, but I'm pretty certain he wasn't getting doubled, at least. Or, at least, I was certain. =/

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
"Please publicize any fuckups I make"

Well, you're still listing FE characters. 

Anyway

Super Mario RPG:
Mario: 8/10 - You're forced to use him, and he's certainly not a bad addition to the team. 
Mallow: 3/10 - He's pretty good when you first get him and then just mediocre later.  I never considered using him after getting Bowser, however, which puts a damper on his overall use.  I guess he gets some good MT later but by the time he does, Toadstool's caught up to solidify her position in the party, and why the hell would you take Geno out?  Score would be higher if you were ever forced to use him after Booster's Pass, or if Toadstool didn't exist to replace Bowser once he becomes useless.
Geno: 8/10 - Pretty good when you first get him, and his buffs alone make him a better choice for teammate number 2 in the endgame.  Having the best MT damage and not terrible ST damage doesn't hurt.
Bowser: 4/10 - YES HE IS HIGHER THAN MALLOW.  From Booster's Tower until around the sunken ship when Toadstool starts picking up, he's got good ST damage and is tanky.  He drops off pretty terribly after that, but is pretty good during a time when
Toadstool: 9/10 - Starts out about as shitty as Bowser is in the endgame due to her lack of durability and nothing being threatening enough to require Group Hug, and then goes on to make herself more useful than Mario due to stat growths and... well, Group Hug. 

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Will get to the rest later...putting away groceries!

Super Mario RPG:
Mario: 91/128.  I wish you could take him out - I'd like to use Mallow over him, honestly.  Unique equips help a bunch...if you get them.  Attack Scarf takes a lot of work to get, but it IS awesome.
Mallow: 49/128.  If you could replace Mario with him, he'd be better.  As is, an ok party member early, the first person I replace with Bowser, then never used again.  The ST healing and MT damage would work as great clean-up and support - the guy who can do everything in the party, but doesn't excel anywhere.
Geno: 112/128.  Fast, MT damage, Geno Boost is pretty badass.  Ends up being pretty awesome.
Bowser: 55/128.  He does awesomely in Booster's Tower, and Terrorize is still good at the end of the game.  A bit better than Mallow, since he doesn't need the FP as much...kind of?  Eh.
Toadstool: 117/128.  It's been said.

Fire Emblem Lions and Tigers and Axemen:
Lott:
Wade:
Geese:
Gonzales:
Bartre(6):
Garret:

Dorcas:
Bartre(7):
Dart:
Hawkeye:
Geitz:

Garcia:
Ross:
Dozla:

Boyd(9):
Mordecai(9):
Muarim(9):
Largo:
Giffca(9):

Nolan:
Muarim(10):
Mordecai(10):
Boyd(10):
Kyza:
Skrimir:
Caineghis:
Giffca(10):
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2010, 02:56:38 AM »
Super Mario RPG:

Mario: 6/10. He's honestly not awesome, but he does offer the highest ST offensive input in the game and his durability stats are reasonable. He's not -entirely- ST-marred either, but his MT is late and unreliable.
Mallow: 4/10. Earlygame is pretty okay, albeit not awesome. The ST healing is an okay crutch before Toadstool kicks in and the early as buttons MT is quite nice. Later on... eh.
Geno: 8/10. Speed+Geno Boost+solid offense of all types+strong later MT? You have a pretty complete offensive package here, boy.
Bowser: 3/10. Hey guyz I'm awesome for like one chapter and then nobody cares.
Toadstool: 9/10. Mmmmmmyeeeeeeah, she's kinda evil. Group Hug just trivializes bosses badly. The mad part is that you get status-immune Toadstool as soon as like Johnny, and that one also gives you elemental immunity to the big three (god smrpg equipment cheese). She does have durability issues for a while, of course, and against randoms she's no Geno (although Sleepy Time is a fine tool if you're good at the directional spinning). But then, her issues start disappearing as the game goes on and she gets actual offense with the Frying Pan and then everything fails forever unless they have MT OHKO - which they don't. Also, have fun trying to kill your party ever if you have Lazy Shell Toadstool.

Fire Emblem Lions and Tigers and Axemen

I'll leave it out there that I'm generally very unimpressed with FE6/7 Axemen in general, so expect unkind scores.

Lott: 4/10. uuuuh. The growths and supports are cool. Just... argh, FE6 axes. Promotion helps, but by the time he promotes, I just went somewhere else using units that fit my biases better.
Wade: 2/10. uuuuuuuuh fail
Geese: 3/10. whatever.
Gonzales: 3/10. I certainly -can- rate him lower than a 4/10. Fuck that accuracy bigtime. He's a borderline liability in a bad day.
Bartre(6): 3/10. BRAVE AXE HYPE or something? I just -loathe- FE6 axemen with a fiery passion.
Garret: 1/10. Seriously, screw FE6 Axes and FE6 axemen accuracy.

Dorcas: 2/10. 20% SPEED GROWTH AW YEAH.
Bartre(7): 2/10. 35% speed growth+like 3 starting speed = total winner.
Dart: 1/10. I don't factor in rankings! However, I factor in the fact he has a very non-hot start and that his promotion item costs me insane amounts of money I could use to outfit actually cost-efficient units. Go away.
Hawkeye: 2/10. Argh.
Geitz: 2/10. Just why use him ever. FE7 Warriors just don't impress me.

Garcia: 2/10. HAY GUYZ IT'S DORCAS
Ross: 4/10. Man, he starts out like shit and is entirely at the mercy of the RNG gods too! Winning combo. Sadly, he's just about the best Axeman you can get in FE8 besides something like Hero Gerik, and Ranger Gerik is better for my money. I like me some move and range without complete shit weaponry.
Dozla: 1/10. Go away.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:47:13 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2010, 04:22:13 AM »
SMRPG:
Mario: 7 - Good, and I abused his Jump timing a lot. I spent waaaay too much time as a kid mastering the timing that thing, though.
Mallow: 4 - Not great. Below average feels right.
Geno: 8.5 - Pretty great! Would be MVP, but Toadstool exists.
Bowser: 4 - Sadface. He's useable enough thanks to his durability that he ties with Mallow.
Toadstool: 9 - Breakin' the game. Feels like a textbook 9.

Fire Emblem Lions and Tigers and Axemen:
Lott: 5 - Average is the best this group can hope for.
Wade: 3
Geese: 2
Gonzales: 5
Bartre(6): 3
Garret: Abstain

Dorcas: 4 - usable enough in Lyn's chapter.
Bartre(7): 3
Dart: 5
Hawkeye: 2
Geitz: Abstain

Garcia: 5 - I tried an axe-heavy FE8 game once for fun. Garcia outlasted Ross!
Ross: 4
Dozla: 5 - Dozla actually survived to the end of game!

Boyd(9): 8.5 - Gets bows and such, too.
Mordecai(9): 4 - Worked as a wall in the early chapters.
Muarim(9): 3 - Better growths, but he joins too late to bother with him.
Largo: 4 - He worked on the one map I tried him on, but he didn't feel worth using overall.
Giffca(9): 6 - Availability woes, but above average for being damn useful if you get him.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
Super Mario RPG:
Mario: 6/10. He's solid for most of the game. Never actively bad, but never actively being awesome either. Lazy Shell gives his ST offense a nice oomph.
Mallow: 5/10. Pretty damn good when he joins since Thunderbolt MT OHKOs lame scrubs. It remains the most cost efficient MT for a while to boot. HP Rain is kinda meh though, since SMRPG items are just so lolwhat broken and the ST healing is never that awesome. Never great at physical or ST damage, but gains enough MT later to sorta worth merit using.
Geno: 9/10. Best skill set in the game? Possibly. The Speed + Geno Boost means effectively that someone is always at 50% greater defense and offense before the enemy moves. Has great MT and usable ST physicals/spells with Whirl being in there to take care of some big annoying randoms. Never really lags either.
Bowser: 3.5/10. Uh...he's awesome before Land's End. Talk about a character with good bases but crappy growths. Everything Bowser has just doesn't grow well. His best armor for defense is the WORK PANTS before Chapter 7 :|. Needless to say, this guts him pretty bad. Terrorize is neat though and that seems to be the only way he would still make rounds in the party later.
Toadstool: 8.5/10. Also very awesome and has the other best skill set in the game. Group Hug is of course, lolwhat. Cheap MT cost efficient healing. It is somewhat replacable with items and her offense doesn't improve till late. In fact, in the early going, she's not in the party because of the early on lag and the healing is not as worthwhile.  But still...yeah.

Fire Emblem Lions and Tigers and Axemenoh my!
Lott: 5/10. FE6 Axes. If you wanted an axeman, he was it. Decent and servicable with nice enough growths and supports.
Wade: 2/10. Significantly worse than Lott.
Geese: 3/10. Uh...stains his hands with your blood? I dunno. Was there.
Gonzales: 4/10. Mixed big. I should note, Gonzales on the other route that starts at level 11 with the same bases gets lower. But otherwise, he's pretty much a loose cannon. You're effectively gambling almost every hit, but you rarely need that level of overkill damage.
Bartre(6): 4/10. Being one of the better prepromos counts for something!
Garret: 1/10. Hey, remember that time when we though crit went before hit, and there was a lot of Gonzales hype but never really any Garret hype? That should tell you how good he is especially AFTER we found out that hit does indeed go before crit.

Dorcas: 3/10. Has uses in Lyn mode. Servicable enough early on for Eliwood/Hector mode and has HUEG Con for chain rescuing at least.
Bartre(7): 3/10. Better long term than Dorcas. But starting that speed is just...>_<.
Dart: 3/10. Hey, noticing a trend? Yeah. Dart's pretty underwhelming even without rankings considering how the Ocean Seal is practically FAQ bait and it costs you an effective 25000 at least. You might as throw that 25000 into Silvers/Reavers and make Guy/Raven/Hector/Cavalier more effective. Still, I don't consider him outright useless here since giving an extra 25000 into funds still doesn't save some of the worst FE7 had to offer (HI KARLA). Bases could use some work, although part of it is also that he starts with a Steel Axe.
Hawkeye: 3/10. Gets an extra point for being able to tank a Paul critical hit on Normal mode if you absolutely needed that buffer.
Geitz: 5/10. Is Eph. Best axeman in the game and saves resources? Hurray!

Garcia: 2/10. Dorcas, but with effectively even less early shine.
Ross: 4/10. Best trainee if you want to use one, but he's very much left to the mercy of the RNG. Not exactly fit for my tastes when you have better choices.
Dozla: 1/10. LULZ.

Boyd(9): 8/10. I want to rate him higher, but losing mounted means effectively he's probably worse than Oscar. Although he's very awesome regardless. HP makes up somewhat for the mediocre defenses, but his offense is just nuts.
Mordecai(9): 4.5/10. He's pretty solid when he joins. But his transform gauge just makes me go ajslkjdsjasd. Several turns of doing nothing is just -_ - when first turns can make a pretty big difference.
Muarim(9): 6/10. Can somewhat keep up with most of the regular team until towards the end.
Largo: 3/10. Filler if you need to, but less good than other filler you can use.
Giffca(9): Uh..weird. Best of the three royals you can summon. But by the time he joins, half the map is under control. So he shows off for like 3 turns or something. 5/10 or something. I dunno.

Nolan: 8.5/10. Pretty damn close to a 9, but maybe not quite. Earth affinity + good growths in needed areas and is effectively one of the best DB units. Durability could use a boost, but he's damn solid.
Muarim(10): 3/10. Exists for like 2? 3 chapters? And then basically dies since by the time he rejoins...lol.
Mordecai(10): 4/10. Pretty awesome for parts 2-2 and 2-E. Might be a lesser score since you always have better choices come the GM maps. But I have nothing but good memories of his time rocking face in 2-2 and 2-E. So 4 it is.
Boyd(10): 3.5/10. Uh...huge downgrade from his FE9 form. Boyd basically starts off rocky. He gets a few chapters where you can see if the RNG gods decide to bless him (most noticably in speed). If they do, he's golden since he can then provide some meaningful offense and can try to circumvent the durability by finding a defense/avoid boosting partner. If they don't...well, he's effective got the lowest offense and lowest durability in the GM group sans Rhys. That is NOT a good thing.
Kyza: 2/10. Pretty bad but hey at least some semblance of defense and starting speed.
Skrimir: 3/10. Awesome in 4-P which is lolz because lolzHorseslayer and lolzNaesala. So basically he's awesome for like one chapter where it doesn't matter. And then in 4-3, Desert gives him some added use since he can outkite his enemies. But yeah. 26 Speed is just not good enough past that.
Caineghis: 9/10. RNG proof insurance to finish the game. He's that good. Also, Earth affinity for those last minute avoid boosts. His only thing is lowish Res, which you can circumvent around.
Giffca(10): 8/10. Not as good as Cain obviously. The big question is whether or not you want to sacrifice a Laguz gem to use him versus using it on a Heron. Well there are a few ways of looking at it. One is that you can get 2 Laguz Gems, use them both, because why not. And two is that the store has Laguz stone available for sale. And at this point in the game, stocking up on 4-5 of these and then giving them to him along with Olivi Grass is certainly reasonable. He's great offensive insurance to have around.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2010, 12:24:24 AM »
Fire Emblem Lions and Tigers and Axemenoh my!
Lott: Abstain
Wade: Abstain
Geese: 5/10
Gonzales: 4/10
Bartre(6): Abstain
Garret: Abstain

Dorcas: 5/10
Bartre(7): 6/10
Dart: 6/10
Hawkeye: 7/10
Geitz: 7/10

Garcia: 6/10
Ross: 6/10
Dozla: 2/10

Boyd(9): 8/10
Mordecai(9): 6/10
Muarim(9): 6/10
Largo: Abstain
Giffca(9): 5/10

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
Super Mario RPG:
Mario: 7/10.  Solid all arounder, not much else.
Mallow: 4/10.  Good MT damage early on, then...stops really contributing much at all.
Geno: 8/10.  Yeah, good MT and ST damage with a buff move.  I must smack the Speed hype though; very easy to make other characters fast enough to get past enemies, and Speed in this game is such a meaningless factor. 
Bowser: 6/10.  Doesn't really get THAT bad until later.
Toadstool: 8/10.  Team Healer.

Fire Emblem Lions and Tigers and Axemen oh my!
Lott: 3/10.  Could have been good, but FE6 Axes kill him.
Wade: 2/10.  See Lott, without the "Could have been good"
Geese: 4/10.  Lott+.
Gonzales: 4.5/10.  Can actually do stuff once promoted, but Promoting him isn't easy.
Bartre(6): 5/10.  Being a Warrior out of the gate means he can use Bows, working away the "FE6 Axes suck" thing to some degree and he's still promoted with not total garbage stats. 
Garret: 2/10.  Prepromo Gonzales without any of what makes Gonzales good, whoo!

Dorcas: 3/10.  Only axe user in Lyn mode has to count for something.  Otherwise? *Punt*
Bartre(7): 4/10.  He's good once promoted I feel, but getting him promoted isn't easy and there are so many other options around.
Dart: 4/10.  Can be good but pain in the ass to raise and requires using a not trivially easy item to promote.
Hawkeye: 4/10.  Good in usual Prepromo ways, not completely horrible.
Geitz: 5/10.  Eh, yeah, good for filling gaps, but not much else, so guess that makes him the best Axeman of this game.

Garcia: 2/10.  Dorcas in a game with better competition.
Ross: 5/10.  Decent when raised up, and being available early means raising him is actually practical unlike the other two, especially since the Hatchet is a good starting weapon.  He still has issues holding him back, and he's merely "Decent" which isn't good enough for a project like this.
Dozla: 1/10.  Ahahah no.

Boyd(9): 8/10.  THIS is what Fighters wanted to be.  Boyd's got speed (or at least, enough of it to not embarrass himself), strength, HP, and in a game where Axes DON'T TOTALLY SUCK.  Puts him leagues ahead of the other Fighters/warriors as a result.
Mordecai(9): 3/10.  Early tank with restricted offense, not much else.
Muarim(9): 4/10.  Mordecai+; joins after Demi Band so easier to make use of him.  True, you can give it to Mordecai, but Muarim also starts at a higher level, so better with less effort.
Largo: 5/10.  Good for filling up slots and not horrible, but nothing special either, despite a unique class as a PC.
Giffca(9): 7/10.  Overpowered and kicks ass...for one map.  He's like Athos except can't heal or counter Range 2 attacks, so I can only give him so much credit.

Nolan: 8/10.  I'm not totally sold on his AWESOMENESS, but I'll give him extra points for being a competent PC in a team that really needs someone like him, so yeah, he still gets a high rating.
Muarim(10): 3/10.  Rules in Part 1, sucks in Part 4 due to lack of use, though isn't completely worthless there at least.
Mordecai(10): 7/10.  Got a fair amount of use out of his tanking; offense could stand to be better though Speed Wings help offset that.  Felt practically unkillable against enemy hordes, and unlike Generals, has an actual Movement stat.
Boyd(10): 4/10.  Ouch!  Loss of Speed really hurts his worth here, as does competing with a whole bunch of more competent good Axemen.
Kyza: 3/10.  Tiger without specializing in what makes Tigers good!  I guess that's better than a Cat doing the same, but still pointless.
Skrimir: 7/10.  Mordecai+, but around for not as long; SKrimir hits hard as hell and has actual speed to double things at first, and Lion Transformation rates are awesome if you don't mind blowing Olivi Grass.  He's also quite handy shifted on the Desert.  Less availability hurts him relative to Mordecai.
Caineghis: 9/10.  Kicks ass in just about every way, shape or form...except availability, he's a bit lacking there!  That's why he's only a 9 though.  He's like the FE9 Laguz Royals, except there's enough maps to justify him, and he stands out DESPITE the even FIERCER Competition.
Giffca(10): 8/10.  Caineghis-; he's still completely brutal!  The main difference is Giffca requires stuff like Olivi Grass, Laguz Gems/Stones, etc. to maintain, so its either "use rare items!" to get mileage out of him or "Waste one turn occasionally to restore gauge", which is enough to dock him a full point compared to Cain.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Taishyr

« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »
Super Mario RPG:
Mario: 7/10.  Solid all arounder, not much else.
Mallow: 4/10.  Good MT damage early on, then...stops really contributing much at all.
Geno: 8/10.  Yeah, good MT and ST damage with a buff move.  I must smack the Speed hype though; very easy to make other characters fast enough to get past enemies, and Speed in this game is such a meaningless factor. 
Bowser: 6/10.  Doesn't really get THAT bad until later.
Toadstool: 8/10.  Team Healer.

Keeping Meeple commentary below since it's accurate, but adjusting FE7 scores down since I don't like FE7 axemen. >_>

Dorcas: 1.5/10.  Only axe user in Lyn mode has to count for something.  Otherwise? *Punt*
Bartre(7): 2/10.  He's good once promoted I feel, but getting him promoted isn't easy and there are so many other options around.
Dart: 3/10.  Can be good but pain in the ass to raise and requires using a not trivially easy item to promote.
Hawkeye: 4/10.  Good in usual Prepromo ways, not completely horrible.
Geitz: 4.5/10.  Eh, yeah, good for filling gaps, but not much else, so guess that makes him the best Axeman of this game.

Garcia: 2/10.  Dorcas in a game with better competition.
Ross: 5/10.  Decent when raised up, and being available early means raising him is actually practical unlike the other two, especially since the Hatchet is a good starting weapon.  He still has issues holding him back, and he's merely "Decent" which isn't good enough for a project like this.
Dozla: 1/10.  Ahahah no.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2010, 06:24:35 AM »
Mario: 6/10
Mallow: 3/10
Geno: 8/10
Bowser: 3/10
Toadstool: 8/10

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
Nolan: 9/10 - Best DB character.
Muarim(10): 1/10 - Not even a good wall.
Mordecai(10): 2/10 - Isn't Muarim
Boyd(10): 3/10 - Outclassed by Nolan and the worst merc.
Kyza: 2/10 - He is around for a while so if for some strange reason you decide to use him you'll get some milage out of him.
Skrimir: 5/10 - Suffers from there being better options and the maps he destroys being easy anyway.
Caineghis: 8/10 - Lucky that he gets uses in the hardest chapter. 8 is as much as I'll give someone around for such a short time.
Giffca(10): 8/10 - Items aren't that rare folks. The guy is near enough a clone of Caineghis so he gets the same score.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »
Super Mario RPG:
Mario: 6.38
Mallow: 4.25
Geno: 7.96
Bowser: 4.25
Princess Toadstool: 8.38

Fire Emblem Lions, Tigers and Axemen:
Lott: 4.06
Wade: 2.25
Geese: 3.39
Gonzales: 3.83
Bartre(6): 3.38
Garret: 1.36

Dorcas: 3.11
Bartre(7): 3.04
Dart: 4.04
Hawkeye: 3.36
Geitz: 3.59

Garcia: 3.57
Ross: 4.79
Dozla: 2.10

Boyd(9): 7.63
Mordecai(9): 4.3
Muarim(9): 4.82
Largo: 3.40
Giffca(9): 6.17

Nolan: 7.65
Muarim(10): 3.69
Mordecai(10): 4.56
Boyd(10): 4.28
Kyza: 2.50
Skrimir: 5.75
Caineghis: 8.39
Giffca(10): 6.94

Best Rating of this Session: Caineghis w/ 8.39
Worst Rating of this Session: Garret w/ 1.36

MOVING ON!

Tales of the Abyss:
Luke fon Fabre:
Tear Grants:
Jade Curtis:
Guy Cecil:
Anise Tatlin:
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear
Asch:

Fire Emblem Swordmasters, Heroes and Ravens:
Dieck:
Rutger:
Oujay:
Fir:
Echidna:
Karel(6):

Guy:
Raven:
Karel(7):
Harken:
Karla:

Joshua:
Gerik:
Marisa:

Mia(9):
Zihark(9):
Stefan(9):
Lucia(9):
Naesala(9):

Edward:
Zihark(10):
Vika:
Nealuchi:
Lucia(10):
Mia(10):
Naesala(10):
Stefan(10):

And yes, I'm aware we have 2 Guys in this session; that wasn't intended, and I'm happy one of them has a last name!  Also, I swear to god that this "Ravens" wasn't intended the same time as we were rating the character NAMED Raven.  HONEST!!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:18:23 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »
MOVING ON!

Tales of the Abyss:

Luke Von Fabre: 5/10. Tales swordsman can only be so bad. One of the appreciable choices for main character besides lolsnipesnipe, but not really that impressive. Better than Guy in the earlygame, worse later, but the margin by how much he gets worse later is noticeably steeper than his edge early.
Tear Grants: 7.5/10. The better -healer- of your healing pair. In Tales, these are always good, and Tear even can back up your frontline offense with magic damage. It's not great, but damage isn't what you use TotA magic for.
Jade Curtis: 3.5/10. While I used him for the whole game for the sake of having less AI fuckups in terms of charging into a fray (and well, despite all his many flaws as a characters, he has a cool VA or something), he's... not impressive. Magic ties up things rather well when it goes off, but TotA casting times are egregiously slow. If you -really- want magical damage, honestly, Tear works as a solid backup.
Guy Cecil: 6.5/10. Later on, I could pull off some insane combo strings and a braindead semi-infinite with him, which made him a spamlock machine, and I like the speed. On the other hand, I doubt I can objectively rate him at even a 7. The lacking early game is a real problem, and that doesn't go away so easily. Also, I could see swapping this score with the one I gave Luke depending on how people fly.
Anise Tatlin: 3.5/10. She just kinda sucks. Slow, awkward combos, her magic is rather unremarkable (on top of having the typical TotA magic issues) and she doesn't have a damage edge to compensate for the poor mobility/comboability.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: 8/10. The better -fighter- of the healing pair. The main difference, though? Natalia is probably the best character for effective durability in the game: her attacks are fast and safe, her defensive stats are strong, she's also a fast runner (good for abusing the hell out of how enemies fail against Free Run) and her healing is quite adequate (ST focus, but stronger for amount healed than Tear's). Giving her a speed/defense focus made her quite difficult to kill, and that's pretty desirable on a healer. Being a good fighter doesn't hurt. Probably objective MVP.
Asch: DNR. Eeeew, disposable temp that sticks around for no time.

Dieck: 6/10. Workable. Pretty awesome early, but tapers off later. Hardly bad if you dedicate yourself to him, though, and he's early too.
Rutger: 8/10. I find FE6 Swordmasters very strong. Rutger is the first you get, and he even gets a Clarine support (I mean, the support isn't good offensively, but defensively, it's fine. Rutger's affinity is pretty sad for offensive supports -anyway-). And swords are at the top of their game in FE6 anyway. Besides FE4.
Oujay: 6/10. Good affinity and has good growths, but the beginning is shaky. Feels like he ends up roughly similar in worth to Dieck.
Fir: 8.5/10. Fir's excellent. Rutger trading the better concrete durability and Strength for an affinity tailor-made for Swordmasters and better evade by a notable margin. Also has quite high stats for her starting level and starts at a level where she can get tons of easy kills, so raising her isn't a problem.
Echidna: 5/10? I guess. I remember seeing her endgame stats and realizing they kinda work if you're in a pickle for Heroes. She's an acceptable crutch.
Karel(6): 5/10. Serves as a solid crutch if you get bad Swordmasters, but there's better.

Guy: 7/10. Awesome affinity for a Swordmaster, good supports. Otherwise, a typical package for a SD, but I find them generally solid. Only one weapon type hurts, but you could do worse than FE7 Swords.
Raven: 8.5/10. Awesome starting stats, a few quite solid supports and good growths. Very good offensive powerhouse, only held back by the meh affinity (Ice is so not an offensive element) and not being really awesome defensively.
Karel(7): 3/10. GREAT STRENGTH AND SKILL
Harken: 5/10. Uhhhh gives you a Bravesword and isn't trash statwise. Feels good enough for a 5.
Karla: 0/10. Karla is one of the worst PCs ever. Jesus Christ, the usability is nearly Sophia-level and even -getting- her is a complete pain in the ass.

Joshua: 6.5/10. Same package as Guy in a vacuum with better Strength, but Wind isn't quite as excellent for a Swordmaster as Fire is, and Joshua faces stronger competition in FE8. Still solid, and the supports are decent.
Gerik: 7/10. He's rather solid, but isn't a gamebreaker. Still, I find the Ranger option quite awesome to have, which makes me give an extra half-point for his troubles.
Marisa: 4/10. The stat package looks quite solid, but she's gotten past the midgame and at a low level (still has very good stats for her level, but it's still kind of a pain). Not to mention Ice is one of the worst affinities for a Swordmaster to have. Rutger got away with Dark by being early, in a game where Swordmasters had more crit and having a far weaker cast to thin the competition out. Marisa... no such luck. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:18:40 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Quote from: Snow, because Elfboy dislikes spending more time than needed thinking about Tales
Luke Von Fabre: 5/10. Tales swordsman can only be so bad. One of the appreciable choices for main character besides lolsnipesnipe, but not really that impressive. Better than Guy in the earlygame, worse later, but the margin by how much he gets worse later is noticeably steeper than his edge early.
Tear Grants: 7.5/10. The better -healer- of your healing pair. In Tales, these are always good, and Tear even can back up your frontline offense with magic damage. It's not great, but damage isn't what you use TotA magic for.
Jade Curtis: 3.5/10. While I used him for the whole game for the sake of having less AI fuckups in terms of charging into a fray (and well, despite all his many flaws as a characters, he has a cool VA or something), he's... not impressive. Magic ties up things rather well when it goes off, but TotA casting times are egregiously slow. If you -really- want magical damage, honestly, Tear works as a solid backup.
Guy Cecil: 6.5/10. Later on, I could pull off some insane combo strings and a braindead semi-infinite with him, which made him a spamlock machine, and I like the speed. On the other hand, I doubt I can objectively rate him at even a 7. The lacking early game is a real problem, and that doesn't go away so easily. Also, I could see swapping this score with the one I gave Luke depending on how people fly.
Anise Tatlin: 3.5/10. She just kinda sucks. Slow, awkward combos, her magic is rather unremarkable (on top of having the typical TotA magic issues) and she doesn't have a damage edge to compensate for the poor mobility/comboability.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: 8/10. The better -fighter- of the healing pair. The main difference, though? Natalia is probably the best character for effective durability in the game: her attacks are fast and safe, her defensive stats are strong, she's also a fast runner (good for abusing the hell out of how enemies fail against Free Run) and her healing is quite adequate (ST focus, but stronger for amount healed than Tear's). Giving her a speed/defense focus made her quite difficult to kill, and that's pretty desirable on a healer. Being a good fighter doesn't hurt. Probably objective MVP.
Asch: DNR. Eeeew, disposable temp that sticks around for no time.

Dieck: 7/10. Some people gush over Dieck and I've never fully understood why. I guess supports give him some durability but nobody should have to rely on Lott being played, and otherwise his stats are just kinda average. He does have a good start, though, so giving him points for that.
Rutger: 8.5/10. Just dominates from the getgo, and thanks to speed growth and a 30% crit rate (+ Wo Dao + crit/avo supports = ...) he keeps it up, unlike Dieck. Wish he had 2 range and more move, but otherwise, yowza.
Oujay: 5/10. Shaky start, never develops into anything amazing, but serviceable.
Fir: 8/10. Rutger who possibly gets... even better? Fire is just the best affinity for a SM period. Worse start, but honestly she does pretty well even at Level 1 since she joins in axe city.
Echidna: 7/10. One of the game's best axemen. Great skill so she can hit, great speed so she can double even with the weight hit. Other stats could be better but the durability is propped up nicely by Lalum.
Karel(6): 6/10. I dunno. His stats are great, but lacking supports he feels a pretty questionable choice for the final level. Still, hardly bad.

Guy: 7/10. Isn't as good as the FE6 SMs, but still gets great avoid and the Matt support keeps his attack respectable.
Raven: 9/10. Best character in FE7. 13 speed + 8 strength is possibly party-best offence (outside Marcus) when he joins. And he is NOTABLY UNDERLEVELLED. So hi there, I heard you liked people who gain levels quickly with 55% strength growth to make that offence game-best, period. Also solid supports (ice is a great affinity for him since his power rules anyway) and axes at promotion negate his only weakness. Yeah.
Karel(7): 3.5/10. Eh. Minus points because you lose Harken, maybe? I dunno, he's not great anyway.
Harken: 7/10. By all rights should be the best prepromo (but isn't because Pent rules), very solid stats and weapon ranks everywhere. Would be godly if not for needing to build up supports.
Karla: 1/10. lulz

Joshua: 7/10. Better out of the gate than Guy, but worse as the game goes on due to better competition. It balances.
Gerik: 6.5/10. Doesn't feel very useful on Eph route, but solid enough on Eirika's. Suffers a bit from being crowded out by better swordsmen but the stats are certainly good.
Marisa: 4/10. Eh. Awesome lategame avoid tank, but a pain to get started and never has offence.

Mia(9): 4/10. FE9 swordmasters aren't very good. Less HP than their predecessors, and FE9 swords suck, and anyone with a Knight Ward matches a SM for speed anyway.
Zihark(9): 5/10. Zihark's a bit better due to that earth affinity nonsense I guess.
Stefan(9): 6.5/10. Stefan on the other hand is rather good because his stats just rule midgame, and he always smashes the other SMs in power, their weak stat.
Lucia(9): 1/10. Karla mark 2. Technically she's not quite as bad, but I don't think the difference is worth even half a point.
Naesala(9): 5/10. Meh.

Edward: 3/10. Hi guys, 5 def range 1 in the DB this works right?
Zihark(10): 7.5/10. Pretty solid, he can actually dodge some with his earth supports and starts pretty powerful. Too bad the concrete durability still blows and no authority stars means this always matters.
Vika: 3/10. Hi guys I am absolutely essential for one map, decent for two more, then terrible. Same score as Muarim works.
Nealuchi: 3.5/10. Workable filler kinda.
Lucia(10): 3.5/10. One map of being awesome, then... well, not as bad as Muarim/Tormod/Vika in part 4 at least.
Mia(10): 8/10. Very solid, her speed actually matters and she gets much better power this time out.
Naesala(10): 8/10. The worst laguz royal by almost any metric. Oh noes!
Stefan(10): 6/10. Serviceable asskicker in endgame, the best time to be a SM.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
Usual disclaimer of not voting on FE6-7. Can't vote on TotA either, and not voting any of the FE8ers, so cutting those. Take all as Abstain. ;o

Mia(9): 4/10. I know she can be good, but seriously? She's way too frail and doesn't have the amazing evasion early on, and takes too much nursing to get to being good, and even then can still be easily screwed over by one attack.
Zihark(9): 8/10. Here, on the other hand, we have someone who joins with the awesome evasion and just gets better from there. Helps that his strength is higher than Mia's and so he's better at tearing shit apart.
Stefan(9): Abstain. Still never got him, oddly enough!
Lucia(9): 5/10. Not amazing, but usable (barely).
Naesala(9): 7/10. Vortex is fun, and the speed helps a lot. Loses 3 points for being on one stage only.

Edward: 4/10. Hahaha DB. Yeah, this guy kinda sucks, doesn't he?
Zihark(10): 5/10. Ouch, that's a nerf you took there, Zihark. That, or I got RNG-screwed, 'cause you did fuck-all for me in 10.
Vika: 6/10. Uhh. Like Lucia9, barely usable, but gains a point because DAWN BRIGADE.
Nealuchi: 5/10. As above. (Screw Meeple hype! I've never seen his worth. >.>)
Lucia(10): Abstain. Reaaally don't remember her at all, tbh.
Mia(10): Abstain here as well.
Naesala(10): 9/10. Yesssss. Tears the enemy apart completely and has much better availability this time round. <3
Stefan(10):

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2010, 12:45:25 AM »
Tales of the Abyss:
Luke fon Fabre: 6/10. Servicable. Did the job, did it well.
Tear Grants: 8/10. Yeah, good healer, good backup offense, doesn't do alot of dieing, she's cast MVP for me.
Jade Curtis: 5/10. The other party standard, along with Tear. Not great, but does his job well enough. Average works.
Guy Cecil: 6/10. Interchanable with Luke. Guy's faster, Luke takes hits better. Roughly equivilant power. I alternated dungeons between the two, never felt one was notably better then the other.
Anise Tatlin: 3/10. Slooooooow. Decent enough on AI, grew frustrated in one fight of trying to actually use her.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: 5/10. Never got the hang of controling Nat, and she's only decent on AI. So it goes.
Asch: DNR. Barely exists.

Dieck: 7/10. Has the potential to be great, but can very easily get RNG screwed as well. Extra point for being good enough at base to get the job done early when you need it the most.
Rutger: 9/10. Elf covers this perfectly. I don't do .5 ratings, so rounding up feels more accurate then rounding down here. Rutger kills shit dead.
Oujay: 5/10. See Dieck, only instead of being strong early, he joins later and is underleveled.
Fir: 8/10. Pretty much Rutger's equal, only joins later enough to merit a point difference. Still fantastic.
Echidna: 6/10. Excellent for a prepromo. Not great, but definately usable and possibly a lifesaver if you've taken some losses by the time she joins.
Karel(6): 6/10. Good emergency character if you've taken some bad losses. Lacks support, but still only so bad an FE6 swordmaster can be here.

Guy: 7/10. Trying not to let random fanboyism influance my score here.
Raven: 9/10. Yeah, one of the best, if not flat out the best character in the game.
Karel(7): 4/10. Eh, he's not bad. Not great, but not bad.
Harken: 7/10. Quite good, yes. Also, free Brave Sword is always a plus.
Karla: 1/10. Uh, the entire point comes from the free Wo Dao for Guy or Lyn(or Karel I suppose...)

Joshua: 7/10. Same score as Guy works.
Gerik: 9/10. Call me a Gerik fanboy, but he's always one of my stronger units in FE8. Great as a Hero(best Axe user in the game, IMO) or a Ranger.
Marisa: 5/10. Good at what she does, but not incredibly impressive. Average works.

Mia(9): 5/10. Vantage is cool.
Zihark(9): 6/10. But I prefer Adept. Also, Earth affinity.
Stefan(9): 5/10. Better then Zihark midgame, feels worse endgame. IIRC Soren is his *only* support option, which is something I honestly don't like. So that costs him a point for me.
Lucia(9): 2/10. Um, just plain bad.
Naesala(9): 7/10. Kicks ass on the last map, is only usable on the last map.

Edward: 3/10. I've tried to use him. It just didn't turn out to be even remotely worth the effort.
Zihark(10): 8/10. Definately good, gets a point from being around to help the DB out in part 1.
Vika: 3/10. Sure.
Nealuchi: 3/10. Eh, he's got use in chapter 2 at least.
Lucia(10): 4/10. Not sure how to feel about her, to be honest. Better then Edward at least, so I'll give her a 4 and stop thinking.
Mia(10): 8/10. A bit better then Zihark I feel, but her parts don't need her as badly. Same score works.
Naesala(10): 9/10. Yeah, it's an FE10 Laguz Royal.
Stefan(10): 5/10. Not bad, but spends too much time not existing. And when he does join, there's just too much competition. Still, he brings the Vague Katti and is certainly usable, so average works.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:17:53 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2010, 12:48:35 AM »
TotA:

Luke 5/10. Felt utterly average.
Tear 7/10. Solid healer/mage.
Jade: 3/10. TotA mage. No.
Guy 8/10. Game's best fighter, has a ton of combos (Including some nice anti air stuff) and can heal. My favorite tales character to control
Anise: 2/10. No.
Natalia: 7.5/10. Buffs plus range plus healing. No arguments there.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:47:14 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2010, 02:03:09 AM »
Dieck: Generally solid, and the bases are pretty good.  6/10
Rutger: FE6 SMs were pretty good yeah.  6/10
Oujay: Eh.  Doesn't start out that great, doesn't end up that great.  4.5/10
Fir: Eh, the start is just too hard to ignore.  5.5/10
Echidna: Serviceable second-stringer, yeah.  4/10
Karel(6): It's been said.  4/10

Guy: Faces stiffer competition than the FE6 SM crowd and I'm not hugely impressed with his support options, but is otherwise decent.  5/10
Raven: Yeah, he's great.  7.5/10
Karel(7): Useable.  2.5/10
Harken: 2nd best prepromo?  I'll buy it.  5.5/10
Karla: lolkarla.  0/10

Joshua: Sure, same score as Guy works.  5/10
Gerik: Pretty solid throughout.  5.5/10
Marisa: Meh, useable, but there's little point in it by the time she joins.  2.5/10

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2010, 02:53:55 AM »
Edward: 8/10 - If you get beyond the bad hp and def at the start he actually is a very decent swordsman. Getting a overpowered weapon (For that point and without forging) helps.
Zihark(10): 8/10 - The reason why many don't use Edward. I used both.....
Vika: 1.5/10 - Worthless but without her you can't pull one of the villagers to safety so a half point for that.
Nealuchi: 3/10 - Useful on exactly one map.
Lucia(10): 1/10 - No idea why you're all rating her over Edward. Lucia steals Xp in chapter 2 and when she makes a return she is so underleveled she has laughable stats. Unless you have some fetish for Blue hair (That Mia provides anyway) there is no reason to use her whatsoever.
Mia(10): 7/10 - Lower score for coming after Edward and Zihark.
Naesala(10): 8.5/10 - The worst Royal yet still kicks ass.
Stefan(10): 6/10 - +1 for the sword but is late and the swordmaste trio exist.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:05:16 AM by Rozalia »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2010, 03:42:52 AM »
Blah blah blah, Unknown bullshit.

Tales of the Abyss:
Luke Von Fabre: 1/10 Worthless
Tear Grants: 8/10 Heals and magic.
Jade Curtis: 7/10 Only way to make early game sane.
Guy Cecil: 10/10 lol at trying this without him.
Anise Tatlin: 7/10 Additional caster that never runs out of resources.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: 1/10 Also worthless.
Asch: 0/10 No.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2010, 05:45:16 AM »
Tales of the Abyss:
Luke Von Fabre: (4/A) 0100/1010
Tear Grants: (7/A) 0111/1010
Jade Curtis: (4/A) 0100/1010
Guy Cecil: (5/A) 0101/1010
Anise Tatlin: (2/A) 0010/1010
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: (9.5/A) 1001.1/1010
Asch: (0/A) 0000/1010

Dieck:
Rutger:
Oujay:
Fir:
Echidna:
Karel(6):

Guy: (5/A) 0101/1010
Raven: (8/A) 1000/1010
Karel(7): (2/A) 0010/1010
Harken: (5/A) 0101/1010
Karla:

Joshua: (5/A) 0101/1010
Gerik: (5.5/A) 0101.1/1010
Marisa: (7/A) 0111/1010

Mia(9): (6.5/A) 0110.1/1010
Zihark(9) (6/A): 0110/1010
Stefan(9) (6/A): 0110/1010
Lucia(9): (1/A) 0001/1010
Naesala(9): (6.5/A) 0110.1/1010

Edward: (5.5/A) 0101.1/1010
Zihark(10): (7/A) 0111/1010
Vika: (6/A) 0110/1010
Nealuchi: (5.5/A) 0101.1/1010
Lucia(10): (3/A) 0011/1010
Mia(10): (9/A) 1001/1010
Naesala(10): (8.5/A) 1000.1/1010
Stefan(10): (5/A) 0101/1010

am i doin it rite
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:28:52 PM by Talaysen »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »
Dieck:
Rutger:
Oujay:
Fir:
Echidna:
Karel(6):

am i doin it rite

No, Tal, you're supposed to take out whole games if you don't know them, remember?

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 10, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
Luke Von Fabre: 700/1000 - This cast is so close together.  Anyway, Luke's big advantage is the FoF building on his artes.  He ends up playing well for anyone controlling him, or even ok on AI alone.  Relatively average, but good.
Tear Grants: 750/1000 - Healing and magic damage back-up is nice, especially on harder difficulties where magic is the only sane way to deal good damage.  Physical techs aren't...horrid, but could be better.  FoF building is excellent.  Better on AI than human, though.
Jade Curtis: 750/1000 - Magic damage for harder difficulties, but he also has a good physical tech in Thunder Lance that builds a good FoF.  He can also make every FoF except Darkness, and this is worth a lot more than you'd think at first glance.  Energy Blast is also a fun spammable attack.  About on par with Tear.
Guy Cecil: 800/1000 - Has fewer FoF building than Luke, but the speed and the one he does have (Severing Wind) is great as crowd control and as a chain.  The durability difference doesn't matter as much in-game.
Anise Tatlin: 700/1000 - She's a bit unwieldy, but...her techs are good for AoE (like Severing Wind above), and she can make Dark and Light FoF.  She takes hits...ok.  She's harder to use than the others, but is the ideal back-up for harder difficulties and magic damage.  Probably LVP?  It's hard to say.
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: 900/1000 - Solos the world.  Lacks making her own FoF, but...this is backed up by having excellent ones once supported properly.  Healing doesn't feel too practical, but it's there.
Asch: 600/1000 - Uh...replaces Luke while you have him.  Can make FoF.  Sucks balls the second time, except for novelty factor.  

Dieck: Who?
Rutger: Seriously, stop making up FE6 characters, Meeple
Oujay: Yeah...
Fir: 945/999 - Yeah, awesome.  Unlike Wendy doesn't have a unique weapon outside of the Wo Dao, but the speed, always capping STR and DEF work wonders.  Is a little frail to magic, but otherwise is just about perfect.
Echidna: What?
Karel(6): Potato?

Guy: V/X - Eh...I don't know.  He always ends up being ok, but...his STR sucks, and he takes hits badly, and isn't as evasive as Lyndis.  Lyndis is also required >_>  He's ok, at worse.
Raven: IX/X - Ends up being cool.  Good weapon options, good stats...yeah.  Never had major issues with him ever.
Karel(7): V/X - Like Guy, comes with a Wo Dao...eh.
Harken: VI/X - Points for a Brave Blade.  Isn't bad either!
Karla: II/X - Is barely available, but comes with a Wo Dao!?  And..uh...might replace Guy/Karel if they sucked?  Maybe?  

Joshua: 312000/525600 Seasons of Love - Better than Guy...but not amazing.  At least he has offense, but his durability feels a bit worse overall.  Decent option at worse, though I think he's harder to recruit overall.
Gerik: 485000/525600 Seasons of Love - Best axe-user in FE8 by far.  Fast, excellent durability, excellent STR...yeah.  Nothing about him is bad.  Hero Gerik for the win.  
Marisa: 505000/525600 Seasons of Love - Best swordmaster by far.  Has like everything Gerik has, but better on the RES and SPD and LUK...a little worse on the STR, but...yeah.  Also has the option of Assassin which isn't awful.  Shamshir is also a decent weapon.

Mia(9): 0.91/1 - Owns the world of swordmasters, and Vantage is nice.  
Zihark(9): 0.55/1 - Is...ok.  Adept is...ok.  Feels like a weaker Mia, and doesn't have the failure of the Dawn Brigade in FE10 to pull him up.  Also is a furry.
Stefan(9): 0.71/1 - Stats and a weapon with high weapon levels.  He's worse than the other two at the end, but comes so strong it probably doesn't matter.
Lucia(9): 0.2/1 - >_>
Naesala(9): 0.8/1 - Found him to be consistently the best of the royals.  The EXAing and evasion helps more on Hard Ashnard.  Granted, only around one map, so despite the fact he is awesome incarnate, it does feel hard to give him perfect scores (especially since any of them...are good) >_>

Edward: 0.4/10 - YOU SUCK.  Frail (never gains DEF or RES), awful HP, SPD and LUK are not what you'd expect...ugh.  Unique weapon helps not at all when he barely has the STR to support it without SPD loss.  Woo I gain MAG!  Fails massively, worse than Karla, since at least Karla has a weapon to give to others.
Zihark(10): 6.3/10 - Better than Edward, and a decent enough crutch for the Dawn Brigade.  Not great really, but stands out by a lot in the shitfest that is the Dawn Brigade >_>  
Vika: 4.2/10 - Just...wish she were around.  She ends up decent, but not around enough.  Helpful early with the Dawn Brigade, at least!
Nealuchi: 6.5/10 - A weaker version of Naesala.  Still relatively good.  Has some random availability, which sucks.
Lucia(10): 3.2/10 - While Lucia is relatively better than in her FE9 incarnation...she faces better competition in her group.  Owns Edward by miles >_>  Otherwise...she's not amazing, but usable...but others are better.
Mia(10): 9.3/10 - Thank god.  A competent swordmaster.  Owns worlds.  Her RES is really the only bad point - she gains lots of DEF and STR and SPD, and Astra is nice when it kicks in.  Too bad about Vantage sucking >_>
Naesala(10): 10/10 - I may be a little biased...but...he grows to be overall the best royal (more levels), and SPD is fantastically useful in the endgame.  It especially makes Tear evilly crazy.  He's around long enough in the hardest parts and follows the group (standard deployment plot-wise) that needs him the most.  Excellent crutch, and is helped by being equipped with sexy pants that boost all his stats!  Helps that wind isn't common, though bows are...but not crossbows near the end.  I'd give all the royals in FE10 a 10/10 anyway, so this doesn't really matter too much >_>
Stefan(10): 6.3/10 - Eh...better in FE9, but...at least on par with Zihark.  Comes with a weapon?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:47:01 AM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 10, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
By the way Meeple, since you said to point out any mistakes...  Luke is not a German noble, so no "von."

Tales of the Abyss:
Luke fon Fabre: 6/10 Solid.  I was about equal at controlling Luke and Guy, so durability vs. speed and anti-air.
Tear Grants: 8/10 Healing Circle is pretty necessary, and her nukes aren't too bad when magic damage is required.
Jade Curtis: 5/10 Invaluable in some fights, but...  definitely tails off as the game goes on.  Generally he was great vs. a single enemy who could be tied up by Luke/Guy without worry of other enemies slipping around to kill the mages.
Guy Cecil: 6/10 See Luke.
Anise Tatlin: 3/10 Not objectively unusable, but...  If I want double-mage smashy I'll change Tear's AI and use Jade.  If I want two fighters I'll use Luke & Guy....  and if I want three fighters I guess I"ll control Natalia myself and still use Luke & Guy.  This means Anise is only useful in the very rare case of wanting three mages for a fight.  She controls too much like a boat otherwise, and I don't trust Tales Mage-fighter AI which tends to do things like "run up to enemy, punch them, then charge a spell."
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: 6/10 Just a solid all-rounder.  Clearly has some soloing cheese potential as well.
Asch: DNR.  He's fine the first time you have him I guess, and he's not a complete liabilty the second time.

Tales of the Abyss was a very balanced cast to me, hence the fairly flat scores.  Also played on Hard mode for whatever it's worth.

Guy: 3/10.  A little unfair, but eh, I felt that you have forced Lyn already and you don't need two swordmasters.  In a vacuum probably fine, just is hampered with the "almost strictly worse than an alternative which is forced" deal.
Raven: Didn't use, looked like he sucked when I got him and didn't bother.  Since this is apparently false I'll refrain from ranking.
Karel(7): 4/10.  Wo Dao was nice?  Just see Guy, still competing against Lyn and I don't feel two SMs makes much sense for a team.  Would much rather have movement and weapon choice and range 2 options off Cavaliers, or less movement but better options/range off mages, etc.
Harken: Didn't even get I think?
Karla: 1/10.  Didn't get either, but know enough to stamp a big 1 right here.  Doesn't quite reach the 0/10 level of fail at least, that requires a very special "screw you" to the player.

Joshua: 5/10.  Decent enough, and in Ephraim's path doesn't compete against Eirika!
Gerik: 7/10.  Pretty awesome I found, good all-rounder who still consistently doubled the baddies and killed them dead.
Marisa: 4/10.  The low STR makes her a slave to the RNG, and she's hurt in that she joins underlevel around the time that FE8 is still hard, then by the time she catches up it's the FE8 lategame which is easy.

Mia(9): 5/10.  I used Mia the entire game because Vantage is cool, but I'll admit she's nothing special.  Dodge isn't too consistent, so she's more like a mage-killer with suspect RES.  Still, I gave her two Resistance-up items, and this made her quite good at the job of mage killing, so she's workable enough with some support.
Zihark(9): 4/10.  Zihark theoretically has slightly better stats than Mia...  except he has worse Resistance and Luck.  Since Range-2 mages hitting Resistance are the most glaring problem these two have, yeah, this makes him worse than Mia to me.  Prefer Vantage to Adept anyway.
Stefan(9): 4/10.  Uh.  Has some use if you have trouble with the midgame I guess?  His terrible Luck means I wouldn't want to use him consistently thanks to ye olde "damnit enemy crit reset" problem.
Lucia(9): 3/10.  Not very good.  Not terrible if everyone's been dying left and right I guess.
Naesala(9): DNR.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »
Tales of the Abyss:
Luke fon Fabre: 5/10
Tear Grants: 7/10
Jade Curtis: 4/10
Guy Cecil: 7/10
Anise Tatlin: 2/10
Natalia Luzu Kimlasca-Lanvaldear: 8/10.
Asch: DNR

Dieck: 5/10
Rutger: 7/10
Oujay: 5/10
Fir: 7/10.
Echidna: --
Karel(6):----

Guy: 6/10
Raven: 8/10
Karel(7): ---
Harken: ---
Karla: ---

Joshua: 8/10
Gerik: 7/10
Marisa: 6/10

Mia(9): 3/10
Zihark(9): 3/10
Stefan(9): 4/10
Lucia(9): 1/10
Naesala(9): 5/10

Edward: 3/10
Zihark(10): 5/10
Vika: 2/10
Nealuchi: 3/10
Lucia(10): 4/10
Mia(10): 8/10
Naesala(10): 7/10
Stefan(10): 6/10
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!