Register

Author Topic: Alternatives to Amazon: a resource topic  (Read 1276 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Alternatives to Amazon: a resource topic
« on: June 12, 2020, 02:17:07 AM »
  For the more socially conscious members of the DL, it will not be much of the surprise that Amazon engages in some shady practices.  After the pandemic began.  I'll let the article I'm linking do the talking.

https://www.greenamerica.org/sustainable-alternatives-amazon?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=c8419b80-018a-4541-a301-3f9baa044920

What motivates me to make a post here is to provide alternatives for those who feel called to seek them rather than giving Amazon more money.  I was already at the point where I don't use Amazon unless there is no other accessible option for obtaining what I want and what I've learned recently only reinforces that decision.  A starter set of sorts is also found in the linked article for a variety of daily living items.  (no clothing, at least not yet though I'll keep looking)

I have no vested financial interest in any of the linked businesses.  Part of me wishes I did but I believe it's against the forum rules to shill like that anyways.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Alternatives to Amazon: a resource topic
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 01:05:57 AM »
I haven't shopped with Amazon since 2017, when I closed my account in Germany. I've reopened it (apparently they never delete) so I could access library books on my Kindle. Haven't learned a way around it just yet.

BUT holy crap, thanks! I mostly get everything locally, because I can, but this expands options.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:07:13 AM »
Found a clothing option:

Natural Clothing Company - www.naturalclothingcompany.com

It meets my baseline criteria for a tentative endorsement: being able to fully outfit someone for daily wear whether they use men's or women's clothing.  Just being listed in the directory I found them in reassures me that the company is socially and environmentally conscious; it's not possible to buy a listing in the National Green Pages that I have and they have high standards.  The prices may be a shock to those used to Ross or thrift store pricing but they're comparable to department stores.  Hey, if everyone in the supply chain is getting a living wage, the pricing will be more accurate to the true cost of production.  I'll always be a supporter of thrift stores but if there aren't any open in your area...

This shop even sell face coverings in keeping with the times.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:53:10 PM »
So this link is a bit outside the scope of this topic.  But this Beginner's Guide to Activism resonates with me, as someone who doesn't feel called to march in organized protests but does have issues that I care about.

https://www.greenamerica.org/your-green-life/beginners-guide-activism?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=ee8ff54a-7bf0-4443-9e86-7315c87e87d4