Author Topic: Politics 2019- Impeach the daughter-fu-  (Read 8000 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Politics 2019- Impeach the daughter-fu-
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
Y’know what?  I’m feeling like sticking all the politics in a 2016 thread is just bad vibes.  New Congress, new feel!

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/california-first-state-recognize-nonbinary-gender/

Wait the States have been on top of this?  Well shit! I glanced at the law wording and it looks like fairly robust self-ID, which is pretty great? I’d want to see some analysis and local response but on paper this is kinda just a good approach for a national model.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Re: Politics 2019- Impeach the daughter-fu-
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:57:57 PM »
9 p.m. tonight. I can't wait to see this shit show go down.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:46:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/stormydaniels/status/1082745074474237953?s=21

This?  I mean more power to you but that’s not especially political..

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »
every time I see the word "daughter-fu" in the thread title, in my mind there's a kung-fu movie where an old man is lifting up his daughter and swinging her around while she kicks mooks in the head and stuff.  I mean, there must be a kung-fu movie where that happens, right?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:56:52 AM »
https://www.out.com/news-opinion/2019/1/11/will-2020-hopeful-kamala-harris-address-past-hostility-sex-workers?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=news-opinion&utm_content=repro

So I've made mention that Harris is not well liked on the left and some folks were baffled.  This is a pretty good summary.

I mean there's already worse candidates in the pool (Tulsi Gabbard can fuck herself) but all indications are she thinks these things were good and will be stuff she's still down for as president, so the tenacity with which people are already desperate for her to be a frontrunner is disheartening.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1087501051392081922

Following that up with a long twitter thread from a trans woman who campaigned for Harris as AG in 2010.  Harris and Warren are primary nonstarters to me because of these issues and their support for FOSTA/SESTA.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 01:33:51 AM »
https://www.girlboss.com/identity/sex-workers-social-media-sesta-fosta-affects

Dropping random stuff here out of lack of other places to put it. 

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 03:08:39 PM »
Old by news standards but useful as a resource reference: "An Anti-racist Syllabus for Governor Ralph Northam": https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/02/antiracist-syllabus-governor-ralph-northam/582580/.

"This anti-racist syllabus is for people realizing they were never taught how to be anti-racist. How to treat all the racial groups as equals. How to look at the racial inequity all around and look for the racist policies producing it, and the racist ideas veiling it. This list is for people beginning their anti-racist journey after a lifetime of defensively saying, “I’m not a racist” or “I can’t be a racist.” Beginning after a lifetime of assuring themselves only bad people can be racist."

A short warning that it is not, in fact, formatted as a syllabus but more as a bibliography. Of his recommendations, I agree especially with:

Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider
Dr. Berry, Their Price for The Pound of Flesh
Eric Foner, Reconstruction
Taylor, From #BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation

I've never read White Fragility. It was published in 2018. Instead, I highly recommend Richard Dyer's White: Essays on Race and Culture from 1997, and Eric Foner's Forever Free: The Story of Emancipation and Reconstruction is also a jewel.

I don't consider any of these resources teaching ways of anti-racism, but at least it provides textured backgrounds into significant moments of the US's racial history. Op-eds have surpassed long-form and researched texts. Both are vital together, but, texts are not forced to sacrifice substance in lieu of a quicker presentation of opinion/fact/questions/etc. Ta-Nehisi Coates is a perfect example of authorship that, while informed and argued well to varying degrees, still skirts substantial information. Yes, texts have equal measures of risky information or are plodding, clunky, uninteresting. The greatest difference for me is that printed texts are subjected far more consistently to peer review than anything else in publishing, and though peer review is its own closed system it still provides more ways to manage vetted and false information.

Audre Lorde's Sister Outsider was republished sometime recently. I forget when, but it's more accessible and affordable than ever. UT Austin's Dr. Berry's text deals specifically with the economics of white-led race-based chattel slavery. Eric Foner is just an OG historian whose fidelity to archival information is stellar and enviable, a sign of what kinds of historical accounts could occur when academia doesn't rush you. Taylor's text is simply a solid elaboration of the recent phenomena of political rhetoric were one to try to piece together everything they remembered since seeing Black men brutalized once again in mainstream media. But black liberation itself goes far back and is tied explicitly to the Black church and Black Marxism, and that requires a totally different course of study. Dyer's White is a pre-21st century account of whiteness, which was a growing field of cultural and racial theory in academia during the age of multiculturalism in the 90s, and has a lot of staying power as a classic to discuss race and sexuality without always invoking "blackness" as a binary evil.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:15:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/igd_news/status/1101424830224592901?s=21

Further news story in the tweet.

You find these stories on the weekly, at all levels of law enforcement. Because it’s not individual, it’s that the training and reputation of law enforcement, at least in the US, attracts those prone to fascism and sympathetic to white nationalists, and encourages those attitudes to crystalize.
This is why all cops are bad: all cops will favor “good citizens” (the white, the wealthy, the connected) over the marginalized. The law as tools of oppressors, not as safeguards for the marginalized.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 02:16:30 PM »
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/helen-joyce-economist-transphobia/

Moreso a reminder to myself to read it fully later, but I caught the original headline that sparked looking deeper aaaaaaand I feel pretty confident calling The Economist useless garbage.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
https://theslot.jezebel.com/elizabeth-warren-has-a-plan-1834120275

Yes, I know it's early. But I find it difficult to compare message campaigns when everything's jacked in full gear. At the vary least, I appreciate being able to spend time with policy ideas in writing. While I am fine with supporting a different candidate, it is no secret that I am still #Warren2020 right now. The links in this article are pretty useful.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 03:56:46 PM »
"I don’t even care if you work on an oil rig. In some parts of the country, those are the only jobs that pay enough for you to feed your family. And I don’t blame workers for that. I blame their employers. I blame the industry that is choking us all, and the government that is letting them do it."

So much this. To be honest, so much everything in that article.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 06:21:19 PM »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 12:17:48 AM »
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/452662-meghan-mccain-defends-pelosi-she-deserves-respect-from-younger

I feel like once you got McCain and Trump himself sticking up for you, the fact you’re being a tool (and probably racist) becomes self-evident.
Whether Pelosi herself or liberals generally agree... who the fuck knows I guess.  I am YoRHa trash.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »
Replicating link everywhere so as to remind myself to do things: https://telegra.ph/Guardians-of-Hong-Kong-Statement-911-Lest-we-forget-09-11

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 01:23:49 AM »
Wanted to reconstruct some Brexit stuff, so if I stay on this kick will edit articles into this post:
https://www.ft.com/content/fac8b53e-d840-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »
Crossposting from FB because heck, why not.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-christian-right-is-helping-drive-liberals-away-from-religion/

I think there's an aspect of this not touched on in the article.

Conservative evangelicalism has done a great deal to make itself the defacto face of Christianity in the US. Even churches nominally not belonging to the methodists and southern baptists traditions that brewed our current version of evangelicalism tend to get material like guest preachers, sunday school programs, and the "Christian" branded entertainment from those regions, which has both made Christianity less distinct from region to region and created the illusion that evangelicalism is universal.

This becomes an issue because evangelicalism is in complete opposition to liberal values like equity, diversity, and stewardship of the Earth and humanity in general. So for a liberal, the choice seems to be between being a "Christian" and being a good, moral person... and people want to be (or at least be thought of as) good, moral people.
Coupled with evangelicalism being an isolating force within communities and improvements in communication technology making forming long-distance community far more practical than in generations past, and the split of liberals from faith was inevitable.

But flipping that around, this only holds true *because* evangelicalism worked so hard to displace Christianity. The loss of faith amongst US citizens was engineered by the very people whose nominal cause is protecting the faith.

I'm a little sad that doesn't surprise me.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/09/the-catholic-church-holds-a-lesson-for-progressives/

How convenient, i was gonna respond on fb but didn't get around to it.  Link is something to chew over all re: all this.  And not a direct response but I'd be remiss not to plug unitarian universalism here.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »
That has been interesting to watch unfold.  A significant chunk of conservative catholics basically want to keep their particular holy days and church practice but otherwise just be evangelicals instead of christians, and Francis for the most part is trying to split the difference between keeping them around without completely alienating more liberal churches by emphasizing duty to charity and stewardship while saying yes, fine, we can still hate women and the gays.

Unitarians are one of several groups that have motivated me to talk about evangelicals without calling them Christians, if you ever wondered if I paid attention.  Funny enough my sister affiliates with a local Unitarian church from time to time, but says to the effect of "they're a little too active for me to keep up with all the time", which I took to mean active in the political sense of going to marches, letter writing campaigns, and the like.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »
Seems to be a study linked in this, hopefully will remember to look at it later

https://www.growkudos.com/publications/10.1080%25252F19361653.2019.1665610/reader

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 09:18:56 AM »
Well, Elizabeth Warren has now had polls of her leading in Iowa, New Hampshire, and California (California now being a Super Tuesday state so that's actually kind of important).

She was someone I wanted to get big nationally for years, cause when she nails it she really nails it, Like when she grills the Wells Fargo CEO

I wanted her to get big enough to be a contender, and early in the primary it looked uphill (Bernie, Biden, and even Beto O'Rourke had more name recognition for a long time) but she's sliding into more of a frontrunner position now; and that means that there's a lot more dirt getting dug up about her.  Am I still feeling good about her?

Mmm...mostly?  Attacks being thrown at her...the one with actual genuine substance, that's worse than I thought it was is claiming native american heritage.  a 1986 Texas Bar registry card surfaced where she handwrote herself as American Indian surfaced this year.  And...yeah, that's...quite a bit worse than the stuff we knew before.

Is it a dealbreaker?  Ehhhhh....  Nobody who has 40+ years of stuff in the political record books looks completely clean on racial issues for their entire career.  Joe Biden campaigned as pro-segregation back in the day, and Bernie used the N-word in his 1997 book.  The perfect candidate doesn't exist.  Well...no that's a lie.  The perfect candidate does exist, but she's 29 right now, so can't run for president until 2028.  But enough about AOC....

Other attacks on Warren seem really mild; like she took PAC money as a senator; I checked Open Secrets, and yeah...like...5% of her campaign donations was PAC money, mostly from PACs that support women candidates and from labour union PACs.

The one part about Warren I find a bit strange, and I can confirm this both from interviews I've seen with people at her rallies and with coworkers of mine who lean more moderate is that while her politics lean relatively far left (usually aligned with Bernie Sanders) a lot of her supporters seem more moderate, with a lot of her supporters being to the right of her.  So like...that's interesting.  Although I'd certainly prefer that the moderate wing of the party flocks to her rather than Biden (Biden is a big old bucket of problems).

Other candidates...Bernie's very clearly third in the latest polling.  I think he has a lot of lasting power though; he's raised more money than any other candidate (spread among more donors than any other candidate).  He's got a lot of very loyal followers, who are increasingly mistrustful of...any non-Bernie candidate that polls above 2%.  Bernie's still fine, but he could work on messaging.  Like...Warren put forth a wealth tax bill, and that got a lot of media attention cause it turns out "tax multimillionaires and give stuff back to the public" is popular among most people who aren't multi millionaires.  That said, it's not like Bernie's never had this idea; he's proposed a wealth tax in the past, it just wasn't part of his 2020 campaign yet.  So...in the past week he released his own wealth tax proposal, and news companies are picking it up like "oh he's copying warren".  (Which...is kind-of not great reporting on their part, but on the other hand, I can't blame them for not knowing about pre-2016 Bernie policies when he was very fringe).

Biden is noticeably bad.  Like...to the right of me sure, but is just flubbing stuff.  Answers in debates where he rambles about record players.

Andrew Yang...I mean, I can't help but like him on a personal level; his campaign slogan is MATH, and he makes dad jokes during debates, and he used to play Starcraft II.  Much like Bernie I don't think he's going away--his fanbase really loves him.  Actually, I see Yang mentioned on my twitter feed more than any other candidate, which is weird for someone who's mostly polling at 2%.  Honestly...he reminds me of Ron Paul in some ways.  (UBI is popular on the right and the left; popular among libertarians who are like "let's just cut back on welfare and do UBI instead".  His version of UBI is a lot closer to the libertarian version).  Which I mean...being to 2020 what Ron Paul was to 2008...dirty secret but I kind of liked Ron Paul in 2008, disagreed with him on a lot of issues, but he was refreshing being effectively a third party, and I like third parties; they just bring under-debated subjects to the debate table.

Beto surprised me and kind-of caught my attention in the latest debate with some of his answers on, for instance gun control and reparations.  In debate 1 and 2 he had really forgettable answers where he did the politician thing (not really answer the question).  Suddenly in the third debate he's speaking confidently on some really risquee political positions.  So points for that I guess.

Underwhelmed by the people who did give non-committal politian answers (Butigeg, Harris, Booker etc).  Maybe they'll actually do something to get my attention in debate #4.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 02:24:04 AM »
The one part about Warren I find a bit strange, and I can confirm this both from interviews I've seen with people at her rallies and with coworkers of mine who lean more moderate is that while her politics lean relatively far left (usually aligned with Bernie Sanders) a lot of her supporters seem more moderate, with a lot of her supporters being to the right of her.  So like...that's interesting.  Although I'd certainly prefer that the moderate wing of the party flocks to her rather than Biden (Biden is a big old bucket of problems).

I wrote up a response to this, and of course the forums ate it, but the short version is...  really?  That's surprising.  I'm not complaining if we end up with nominee Warren, of course, but that's a bit of the reverse of the conventional wisdom - that she might have problems with the low-information "swing" voters who aren't really moderates, but do vote based on charisma /  temperament / do-I-want-to-share-a-beer-with-you, and swung heavily for Trump over Clinton in 2016.  Idiots, in other words.

The 2018 Ohio Governor's race is not very calming evidence, since Richard Cordray ran on a very similar platform with a very similar temperament to Warren (he was her protege, after all!), and lost in a heavily Democratic year.  Apparently Ohio's voters weren't buying what he was selling, even when it would be objectively good for them.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 02:30:57 AM »
Who the heck wouldn't want a beer (/extremely girly wine) with Liz Warren?!

Edit: actually I do have a more substantial thought here.  I don't remember how much Cordray emphasized specifically going after the rich?  But I think Warren's open call for getting more out of the wealthiest of the wealthy has *very* broad appeal, and the uninformed voter is much more likely to believe the President can follow through with it than the Governor.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:35:08 AM by Cmdr_King »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »
https://contingentmagazine.org/2019/10/01/transphobia-philosophy/

This feels like the start of a bigger idea, but not coherent enough at the moment to suss it out.