imageRegister

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183444 times)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2014, 06:05:54 AM »
RSMS- Having problem.

Current ER is 16.  Hawke/Guella Ha/Diana/Sif/Claudia.  Average HP is around 400 (with Claudia well behind due to being a recent pickup).  Around 50 defense, class levels of 3 generally.  170 G, 243 jewels in the bank.  No real inventory.

Go to the Vulcano and blink some tech by fighting Flame Tyrant, retreat, repeat. Just make sure you don't kill him. This is the easiest way to become powerful without raising ER.
Or just try some other area for quests, like Knight Dominion or Frontier. Aquamarine quest should be opening up too, you might want to tackle that first.
Or recruit Aisha and do some underground journey, and picking up few loots on the way.

KH 3DS - Still an incoherent mess. The Drop mechanic is a goddamn pain in the ass, it continuously breaks the momentum of the game and makes keeping track of whatever the hell you're doing annoying as fuck.

You can drop right back if remembering the progress is what you are worried about.
At least making things a little less annoy.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:45 AM »
MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS

Turbo is soooo great. I'm seriously contemplating taking a perk just to make it last longer (I'm sure there is such a thing). Have already got addicted to it three times on this run. Please tell me you can genuinely do that to deathclaws and it isn't just the game glitching out.

Is the Happy Trails gang actually set unkillable just so you can't access Zion without talking to them? I didn't think anyone had plot immunity.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS

Turbo is soooo great. I'm seriously contemplating taking a perk just to make it last longer (I'm sure there is such a thing). Have already got addicted to it three times on this run. Please tell me you can genuinely do that to deathclaws and it isn't just the game glitching out.

Is the Happy Trails gang actually set unkillable just so you can't access Zion without talking to them? I didn't think anyone had plot immunity.

Chemist + Day Tripper + Implant GRX = MATRIX COURIER on demand.  The thing with the Deathclaws is swinging so fast that they get hit by Super Slam and knocked down, but because they're being slowed down they're still in the air when the next hit of Super Slam happens, knocking them up again, and again and again until their inertia sends them flying and out of reach.  Some of them even hit the game boundary and rocketed back to the High Road in response.  I did it on other things before, but Deathclaws were the only ones durable enough to survive so good screenshots could actually be taken.

Less unkillable, and more couldn't be hit at all.  Hilariously Jed actually thanked me for killing MacLafferty.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »
Apollo Justice - Playing Duel Destinies made me want to see more Apollo/Trucy/Klavier, so I decided to pick this game up.

Case 1's plot twist is definitely a good one. The game reels you in with the typical Case 1 narrative and then boom.

Case 2 is definitely a bit on the weak side. I like the defendant(he is annoying, but it is in a funny way) and the killer, and Plum is pretty amazing, but Stickler is a weird misfire on humor and Eldoon is pretty annoying. The case is pretty simple in its execution. It's alright, but not my favorite case in the series.

Case 3 is weird. I want to like it, it has Ema/Apollo/Trucy being awesome, but the absurdity of the defendant, as a small 15 year old boy, setting up this whole thing with firing the gun made for large people and the dragging of the body onto the stage is just beyond my suspension of disbelief threshold. I'm at the beginning of the Day 2 trial. And the witness that says she heard the guy committing the murder mysteriously is nearly killed right after Darayn shows up to the complex???? Yeah, he is clearly not involved. It's also fairly obvious from the start that he probably did it, the messing up of the note is a big glaring clue.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Ys Memories of something that starts with C:

Question for any folks who've played this. What is the deal with reinforcing weapons? I throw something that says it adds 3 in the "attack" icon on a weapon, but it doesn't increase the weapon strength at all? And what about the status icons, do adding those give the weapon a chance to inflict status or increase the power of status the weapon already inflicts? Like with the Fire Sword, it has a 30% chance to add Burn already, so should I reinforce it for more burn or would that be a waste because the weapon already has burn?

Sorry if this is kinda incoherent, I can't think of a better way to explain it.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
Ys Memories of something that starts with C:

Question for any folks who've played this. What is the deal with reinforcing weapons? I throw something that says it adds 3 in the "attack" icon on a weapon, but it doesn't increase the weapon strength at all? And what about the status icons, do adding those give the weapon a chance to inflict status or increase the power of status the weapon already inflicts? Like with the Fire Sword, it has a 30% chance to add Burn already, so should I reinforce it for more burn or would that be a waste because the weapon already has burn?

Sorry if this is kinda incoherent, I can't think of a better way to explain it.

They're just flat bonuses. So if you add some points to say, Poison, the weapon can now inflict Poison. Even 1 point gives a non-negligible effect, so in general it is good. If you have the Fire Sword and add some Burning onto it, it stacks. But 30% burn is already good, you don't need to add more. Better statuses in the game are Paralyze and Freeze. HP Absorb also is pretty tits. Don't spend TOO much money and good items reinforcing, though. Generally you get new weapons pretty quick. Best plan is to throw on one of your best monster drops or flowers that gives you good coverage and leave it at that. Same with armor.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS

Chemist + Day Tripper + Implant GRX = MATRIX COURIER on demand.  The thing with the Deathclaws is swinging so fast that they get hit by Super Slam and knocked down, but because they're being slowed down they're still in the air when the next hit of Super Slam happens, knocking them up again, and again and again until their inertia sends them flying and out of reach.  Some of them even hit the game boundary and rocketed back to the High Road in response.  I did it on other things before, but Deathclaws were the only ones durable enough to survive so good screenshots could actually be taken.

Less unkillable, and more couldn't be hit at all.  Hilariously Jed actually thanked me for killing MacLafferty.

Hey, did you play nice with Caesar long enough to get Arizona Killer?  I don't think President Kimball can be lured out to be killed (and eaten) without doing that or the NCR chain.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS

Hey, did you play nice with Caesar long enough to get Arizona Killer?  I don't think President Kimball can be lured out to be killed (and eaten) without doing that or the NCR chain.

I got my NCR forgiveness popped after killing Benny, so since I had every other faction the NCR wants dealt with destroyed, I just rocketed to doing the NCR version where I instead murdered Kimball and ate him.  I didn't do Caeser's version because Caeser is much bitchier about things, and the messenger that delivers the Mark is a unique compared to the generic nobody the NCR sends.

Then, for some baffling reason, the legion guard inside the securitron bunker complimented me on killing Kimball, despite the sheer absurdity of what needed to transpire for that to occur.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2014, 12:46:17 AM »
Super Mario 3D world: Fantastic. Everyone who has a Wii U should get this game as soon as possible. The levels are astoundingly creative and so far each one has had a new little powerup, or platform type, or enemy to deal with so the gameplay always feels new and innovative. They've kept the same style from the 3DS game, but the stronger graphics for the Wii U avoids the problem that the 3DS game had where the levels felt really empty. Music is also really good too, and I like the Green Stars better than the Star Coins in the New Super Mario Bros Games. The only problem I have with it is that they changed up some of the mechanics a bit from the other mario games, so it takes some getting used to some things like the way wall jumps work. Another example would be they had a level where they had those gates that you could cling on from Super Mario World and the New Super Mario Bros series, but here only characters with the Cat Suit can grab on and even then only temporarily. Still though, these are minor complaints, and the game is shaping up to be my favorite Mario game if it can keep delivering with the creativity in level design.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:55 AM »
Ys Memories of Cuttlefish:

Hey, knife girl got a new tech. "Napalm Shot" eh? Sounds promising...though the rest of her stuff has been crappy, lets see if this is any better.

*uses Napalm Shot a few times*

Welp, that's certainly a thing. A thing that does massive damage over a huge spread that you can chuck at long range.

I'm trying to think of something to compare her to, and Dynasty Warriors 5 Ling Tong is the only thing coming to mind. Moveset of "mediocre, mediocre, crap, okay, crap, crap, crap, *SINGLE BEST MOVE IN THE GAME*, crap, crap, okay". Granted, way too early to tell if there is anything better then Napalm Shot, but it's setting the bar pretty damn high.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2014, 01:39:45 AM »
There is for other characters, and some of her later techs are good too, but Napalm Shot is her money skill. She's more about relentlessly quick knife spam.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2014, 03:22:54 AM »
FONV: I told Veronica to go home and be a family woman, knowing full well there's only outcome for the BoS on this ending path. I am bad Cid.

Also got Euclid's C-Finder for the first time ever. LIGHT OF JUDGEMENT.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2014, 04:33:54 AM »
Yeah, Napalm Shot is a 40 SP skill, so you expect the damage to spike.  Didn't seem notably different from, say, Adol using Blade Rush on damage.  Her other techs are fine, 10 SP to inflict Poison is pretty good and Homing Knives are okay for brainless random clearing.  As Sopko noted, the real reason to hype knife girl is regular attack spam from range backed by dodges with lots of prep time thanks to the range.  When I made my previous post, it was after using her on both the bosses in that dungeon and basically never having to huff items because despite the bosses 3HKOing me or something, they only got 1 hit in ever.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition - Finished like 4 or 5 days later, knowing tons about this game makes it go by quicker.  Done pretty much everything in it this run.  All of Tales of the Sword Coast.  Durlag's Tower is worse than I remembered, but so it goes.  Removing Flesh Golem spawns lowers my level curve a bit, hadn't realised how high a bit of time spent in that cave does it, but still clearing all the content is more exp than cap, so you can easily skip the dumber shit like Aec'letec and Durlag's Tower.  Werewolf isle and ice caverns are relatively harmless albeit pretty boring.  Ranting below I did remember one thing I forgot to do, which was get the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength on the Low Lantern, I never went in there.  That was stupid.  Khalid could have been even better than he was.

Halfing Kensai with daggers got by just fine.  A few times throwing on a sword with no proficiency or the +2 throwing axe once I got it to handle Jellies, but otherwise, just stabbing stuff in the face with Dagger of Poison +2.  Getting Book of +1 Str turning Halfing 17 Str into 18 Str with no exceptional Strength was incredibly underwhelming and really hit home shitty stat scaling is in 2nd Edition.  Like most stats the scaling is pretty low and doesn't have much impact.   Dex is kind of blech in that 18 Dex is amazing, less than 18 dex is kind of painful especially early on, but 19 and 20 Dex are pretty fucking meaningless.  So Dex has a peak of balance issues. 

Strength on the other hand is kind of shitty all the way up to 18.  17 Str is +1 damage per swing and 5% chance to hit effectively.  18 is +2 damage and 5% chance to hit.  Then it scales up with Fighter specific sections from +3 damage and 5% chance to hit 50% of the time, +3 damage and 10% chance to hit 25% of the time, +4 damage and 10% chance of hit 15% chance of the time, +5 damage and 10% chance to hit 9% of the time and +6 damage and +15% chance to hit 1% of the time.  Determined at character creation.  19 Str is +7 damage and 15% chance to hit. 

So in BG you generally don't care about Str other than carry weight on other toons, Fighters that come with 16 Strength are terrible unless they are taking drugs (You should be mainlining potions in real combat situations).  It is a good thing there is a whole line of potions to throw down their throats in a steady stream.  Going into a tough fight?  Potion of Storm Giant Strength for 24 Strength and start hitting 30% more often for +12 damage.  That is flat out more boosted damage than that 2 handed sword you might be using gives.  You easily double your damage ouput per round at -least- with these drugs before the extra chance to hit.

BG2 it really gets out of hand with Belt of Hill Giant Strength setting you up with 19 Str fighter right out the gate.  It isn't a huge jump if you spent hours getting that 18/00 Strength roll, but in most cases?  You are looking at +3 damage if not more and a free +1 to hit.  That is with more swings just piling up for Fighters.  It is just a crazy stat that keeps scaling so much and is so prevalent for buffs.  If you don't run a fighter heavy party and go lots of ranged attackers and magic users I am actually pretty confident you can pretty easily keep your a Fighter buffed on drugs for every single fight after the opening dungeon if you focus on bankrolling their habit and make sure not to rest highly frequently (probably only really matters on your third fighter in a party.  That said with careful planning you could make it your -fourth- fighter that needs it with an imported Bhaalspawn fighter).

It isn't like terrible or anything and Fighters do need it to compete with Mages, but it is clunky and weird and shits over anyone who didn't roll an 18 (or can't like Halflings in my case).  Its a weird way to balance a game.  Fighters need buffs.  Okay lets make them potentially really strong in edge cases and for them to be truly outrageous we need them to be on the most extreme situation.  Hope your GM is liberal with magic items that will scale your damage to crazy new heights!  Oh and don't mind all the monsters that get massive Strength bonuses...
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »
Well, similar damage to blade rush, sure. Just, uh, blade rush generally only hitting 1 maaaaaybe 2 folks, Napalm Shot hitting a pretty wide range. When you see Skill Finish pop up 6 times from one move, you know you have a winner. Of course I am only playing on Normal, maybe it's less impressive on higher diffs.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2014, 01:41:38 AM »
Fallout Genocide: Genocide's final task lures him to the treasures of the Sierra Madre casino.  Forced under threat of death to let others live beyond an initial meeting, Genocide reluctantly did so, knowing deep in his heart they would get theirs at the FIST OF RAWR.  Eventually, on his assault on the Casino Proper, he succeed in his claims.  With all the inhabitants dead once again, and at the peek of his power, Genocide returned to the Mojave to finish things once and for all. 

The Second Battle of Hoover Dam saw all involved reduced to bloody red smears, save two people and a handful of TVs on wheels.  Genocide raged furiously at the sheer bullshit he witnessed, but nothing short of loading state would save him...

Extinict Communities
The Sierra Madre is a city of the dead because of a Courier

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2014, 03:10:00 AM »
MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS

I got my NCR forgiveness popped after killing Benny, so since I had every other faction the NCR wants dealt with destroyed, I just rocketed to doing the NCR version where I instead murdered Kimball and ate him.  I didn't do Caeser's version because Caeser is much bitchier about things, and the messenger that delivers the Mark is a unique compared to the generic nobody the NCR sends.

Then, for some baffling reason, the legion guard inside the securitron bunker complimented me on killing Kimball, despite the sheer absurdity of what needed to transpire for that to occur.

Just so long as you're being sure to eat all the right people, that's okay.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2014, 03:32:13 AM »
The right people is everyone.  NOM NOM NOM.

Fallout Genocide, A Retrospective: Let it be said, that to the best of his abilities did Genocide Courier attempt to scourge the Mojave of all life.  Unfortunately... it is just a straight up impossibility in the first place.  In regards to one Vulpes Inculta.  Killing Mr. Fox at Nipton, results in NPC A spawning at the Stripe.  Killing Mr. Fox at the Stripe however, causes NPC B to spawn at Nipton.  It's a no-win scenario.  In addition to such a contradiction, the NPCs in the various safehouses survive as well, due to the safehouse keys only existing in the ether until thrown into your inventory.  In addition killing either Moore or Crocker causes the other one to despawn.  Silus at MacCarren also escaped because of key bullshit and Cicerio and Nero of the Omertas never spawned period(same for a couple other quest created NPCs).  Also only killing comps instead of recruiting them never gave me their ending slide--except Lily and E-DE's for some reason.

I also forgot to destroy the Legendary Nightstalker and Fire Gecko on accident.  Need to clear out the real Vaults too.

The biggest load of crap was choosing to attack Oliver's group at the end, I get stuck on some geometry while Oliver potshots at me and the Securitrons kill the Ranger Vets.  Once the Vets were all dead, Yes Man came up and forced the ending on me with Oliver still alive.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:02 AM »
If you wanted a true genocide ending you should have allied with Elijah in Dead Money (presumably your character's first action post-epilogue would be to kill him as well)
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2014, 05:14:01 AM »
If you wanted a true genocide ending you should have allied with Elijah in Dead Money (presumably your character's first action post-epilogue would be to kill him as well)

I was totally gonna do that and even had a joke prepared for when I reloaded to headsplosioned him, but you can apparently only ally with him if you chatted about him with Veronica.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
Apollo Justice -- Finished the third case. The case ends up being a bit of an incoherent mess. LYING IN A COURT OF LAW TO COVER UP FOR A MAGIC TRICK IS NOT OKAY, WHY WOULD YOU EVER DO THIS. The copious amount of lying done by the defendant and the witness made me want to throw a wine glass. The villain also makes no sense. So... you framed the person who knows about your criminal activities for murder? And then you attacked the witness who said things about you because that's totes not suspicious? And you risk carrying the body up on the stage so you can fake the script of a song because... reasons? It is definitely among the most poorly put together cases in the series. Its main saving grace is the Apollo/Trucy/Ema trio which have generally brightened the game.

Started the fourth case. I definitely agree with Apollo that he seems to have gotten the short end of the witness stick. Emo manipulative asswipe, wannabe criminal, lying smuggler, and now someone who doesn't talk. Joy joy. (Also, caw caw in Dual Destinies. :D)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
I was definitely thinking of hitting a tiny child with the wine glass, like I Wanna Be The Guy.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
Heroine Quest: Well this game is QfG1 as fuck.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2014, 09:24:12 PM »
Heroine Quest: Well this game is QfG1 as fuck.

YOU NEVER CATCH THE DRAGON.