Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 182865 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2450 on: November 04, 2014, 04:51:18 AM »
I'm going to echo that Smash Run is kind of lame now that I've had a chance to play it a few times.  They really hyped it up for the 3DS version and wasted a lot of PotDs talking about it when outside of the fan-service opportunities it allows due to enemies (like a few extra Pokemon, KIU enemies, Kremlings, Mettaurs, etc.), it really just comes off as 5 minutes of time wasting + a finale that ends too fast to care.

Maybe if the finale was a set of matches, you'd care more; then the 5 minutes of prep time would be more meaningful because you're doing it for more than one quick match that's likely over in a minute.

I know it's based off Kirby's Air Ride's City Trial, but watching videos of that, my opinion is unchanged.  I was thinking "Seriously, is that it?  All that prep time for...a 30 second match?"  The fact that it's based off something prior makes it worse, not better, IMHO, because that implies they tried the formula before and rather than trying to find a way to improve it, they just did the same thing with a different genre. 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 04, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »
I was heavily debating getting a Wii U solely for Hyrule Warriors.

Although I probably wouldn't buy a Wii U for HW (or any one game, really), it is really enjoyable, beautiful, and pro-female. It has a lot of aftergame content which can keep you entertained for a long time, too. I wouldn't say that it is kick-you-in-the-junk challenging like some 3D action games, but it definitely offers a pleasant challenge on Hard (and I found it decent on Normal). Not sure how you feel about either of the series involved, but from my limited knowledge of Zelda it does seem to be a good homage to them.

I've gotten whole systems for worse reasons(really) and if there's one thing a Warriors game can do, it's eat up a lot of hours.  Enough to justify a full purchase anyway.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: November 04, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
I was heavily debating getting a Wii U solely for Hyrule Warriors.

Although I probably wouldn't buy a Wii U for HW (or any one game, really), it is really enjoyable, beautiful, and pro-female. It has a lot of aftergame content which can keep you entertained for a long time, too. I wouldn't say that it is kick-you-in-the-junk challenging like some 3D action games, but it definitely offers a pleasant challenge on Hard (and I found it decent on Normal). Not sure how you feel about either of the series involved, but from my limited knowledge of Zelda it does seem to be a good homage to them.

I've gotten whole systems for worse reasons(really) and if there's one thing a Warriors game can do, it's eat up a lot of hours.  Enough to justify a full purchase anyway.

Bayonetta 2 has reviewed quite well if you are interested in that subgenre at all (I'm probably going to tackle Bayonetta 1 on the Wii U at some point soon myself.). Other than that, Wii U is mostly Mario Kart and platformers. I've heard good stuff about the Wonderful 101 but it's not quite up my alley.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 05, 2014, 02:38:31 AM »
Trade Route Simulator Pro Beyond Earth: Hugely disappointing.  Okay...  that's unfair.  It is a *great* tech demo in the sense of some of the art assets, music, and so on with some placeholder rips from Civ5 for a system.  It missed out on 6 months of balancing, giving good options, and having a real writer actually make things worth a damn.  Here are some good reviews that mirror my thoughts:

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-from-alpha-centauri-to-beyond-earth/
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/10/25/occasionally-thrilling-beyond-earth-cant-quite-get-beyond-civilization-v/#more-33473

On the bright side, Civ5 vanilla with a new coat of paint isn't *bad*, exactly.  But there's just plain bizarre unforced errors.  The style / writing / environment just plain is not up to snuff with SMAC, and I'm fairly certain this isn't just misty nostalgia talking.  The balance is awful.  But most damningly, the gameplay isn't compelling.  Everybody knows that Civ games are secretly giant board games where you're filling up meters in the background so you can fill your meters faster; more food -> more pop -> more dudes -> more science -> etc.  However, there need to be some key decision points that allow you to customize your game.  And it's okay if the human is better at doing this customization than the AI, that's what more cheating is for.

In SMAC, this was done via Wonders (Secret Projects) that offered unique powers, the faction abilities, and social engineering.  You could use these combinations to create genuinely different playstyles, and hey, the ideological nature of the factions ALSO tied gameplay into a good reason to brawl.  (Or, for that matter, to make allies - perhaps at the cost of others!)  Just looking at the military, you could have an army of mindworms, which fought differently than out-of-date Believer rovers with an attack boost that made them scary anyway, which fought differently than an endless Hive horde, which fought differently than Morgan bribing your units with probe teams, which fought differently than Zakharov who was 4 techs up on you.  And beyond that, there were a ton of customizations, so you could go equip nerve gas pods and get a big attack boost but screw up your trade income, or get anti-air / anti-psi boosts, etc.  And yes, the AI wasn't perfect at handling this, but whatever.  Same thing economically - Green does not play the same as Free Market which is not the same as Planned.  In Civ5, the civ abilities are huge, and then there's the culture trees, which are flavorful and also instruct how you play the game - going Wide with Liberty is different than Tall with Tradition or religion-mongering with Faith.

In Beyond Earth, it's all just bigger numbers for those gauges mentioned above.  I'm fine with making Affinity matter more than nation-sponsor choice, but it doesn't really matter which Affinity you pick, it doesn't instruct the way you play the game much at all.  A Harmony player might get units styled Gaian-y, but they really aren't that different from Supremacy robots or Purity humans.  They all have a bigger number, which is about it.  A Gaian we-like-fungus strat isn't really doable.  The Wonders are all fine as *placeholders* but are incredibly lame.  They're basically like standard buildings except cost more and have random technobabble behind them - oh boy, extra energy & defense in a city, or extra food.  A few simple Wonders like this are fine, especially when it's something flash like "double science in one city."  But they're almost all really safe and boring and flavorless!  WTF.  I'm fine with *weak* Wonders to make getting them not too crucial, but at least offer unique, splashy, MTG Mythic Rare effects that can't be easily duplicated [even if overcosted].  The virtues (=Civ5 culture) system is way too bland and also unbalanced, with Prosperity >>> you, but the blandness is the real problem.  It's harder to balance crazy powerful boosts, but at least encourage different playstyles rather than "your bars fill up faster!"  Which is really what everything there is.

This game horribly violates the maxim of Sid Meier that it's better to offer a few compelling choices than many irrelevant ones.  Beyond Earth gives you lots of almost meaningless, flavorless technobabble about whether you want to use your super-algae for production or food, or use some building for science or orbital coverage, but who cares, the difference is generally tiny (and in the two cases it isn't, there is one Really Right answer and one Wrong answer - Autoplant & Ultrasonic Fence).

There's also some baffling omissions - SMAC had the Planetary Council, Civ5 had the UN, you're doing vast planetwide terraformy things, why can't you have some international council?  It's already coded up in Civ5, surely...

Anyway, I can forgive unbalance, maybe I'm asking for even more unbalance, but *support different modes of play*.  I want the patches to go all-in on making running a Supremacy civ totally different than a Purity civ which is totally different than a Purity civ, and if one ends up "better" oh well.  And to get some memorable characters and story going.  As is, the strategy is just to spam ridiculously OP trade routes and manage them with some awful UI and watch as your gagues go up faster than everyone else.  They need both UI help *and* a savage nerf.  Hell, go back to SMAC / Civ4: make trade routes 100% automatic but weaker.  Sigh.  (as a side note, I found out I'd been interpreting BNW trade routes wrong; I thought internal trade routes COST one city food & resources to power up the other city, hence being a Venice-only thing.  Sheesh, they're probably OP in BNW too, although less so, since you need a few external ones to keep the AI pacified, and it's per-civ trade routes there rather than 3-per-city trade routes of doom in Beyond Earth.)

To be clear, there's some solid ideas in BE, so I'll hold out hope for a patch.  I like the Affinities & the victory conditions, for example, even if the UI is grindy in practice for finishing them (oh boy wait a bunch of turns).  We'll see.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: November 05, 2014, 04:09:01 AM »
Damn, Snowfire. I was definitely fairly interested in BE, but I will definitely wait a while on it now.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: November 05, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »
Soul Hackers - Holy shit.  I was just running through Warehouse dungeon to get treasures I missed.  Talk to a Night race demon like you do in SMT games.  There is a little ASCII mini game where you pick up letters and avoid *s to not crash into a wall in the dialogue box.

This game man.  HOly shit.  This is like Gourry making an SMT game or something.  It literally has drug trip vision quests as a main plot point and the entire thing plays like a sober team making a game who's design docs were put together by someone on a drug trip.

10/10 wish I was Fenrir and could do this justice.

Also of note, I sort of caved and put it on Easy.  Not because I didn't think I could handle it, but because I am enjoying the ride significantly more than the gameplay here, so getting through it at a quicker clip so I can see more stuff like the truly amazing logo of your hacker crew and the dude in a suit and designer (VARSECE) turban that summons demons with his Saxophone computer the better.

Edit - I nearly was going to complain about how extraneous VA feels in a game as old as this is at its roots.

Then I got in to the follow up fight with this guy.

Part of the VA has him do air guitar noises. Edit 2- Obviously the guitar is how he summons demons.  Note that not all demons are summoned by musical instruments.  The main character has a GUN COMPUTER and another bad guy had brass knuckles.  Only the COOL characters summon demons with musical instruments.

I fucking love this game you guys.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:23:33 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2456 on: November 05, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »
It sounds like the game is 90s as fuck. And directly based on the actual movie Hackers?

I kind of want to compare it to Earthbound, which is -also- a drug trip version of the 90s but from a completely different mindset.

Amusingly enough, both games are bound to score lowest in their gameplay categories compared to their story/style categories.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: November 05, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »
Correction Djinn, Soul Hack has been treated as having the best gameplay in the SMT fandom, unless you are the post Persona 3 generation.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: November 05, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »
DAMN, I'm so getting a 2DS for like only this and SMT4
The Spookies logo sealed the deal
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:22:07 PM by Fenrir »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: November 05, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »
I cannot compute this, why are people hyping the spookies logo yet I see no hype for the Captain Victor?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: November 05, 2014, 08:19:08 PM »
You mean Space Pirate Captain Dracula?

Yeah he is pretty fucking hype.

The gameplay isn't terrible, but it isn't the best SMT stuff out there.  It is very solidly in its original era, floating around Persona 1.  I think it plays better than P1, not sure how many concessions are made for the remake.  It is probably still worse than P2.

That said the gameplay IS more interesting.  Persona 2 plays much more like your standard JRPG with weird spikes in polish and unrelenting SMT obtuseness.    This has demons that don't level up, a main character that can't use magic in your classic SMT style and another human character that levels up on a fixed path of elements based on selections you.make at the start of the game, so it is kind of a more refined version of the original Megami Tensei formula up to that point.  It really pushes the button on demon summoning though, since they don't level there is a big push on Fusion, it is literally the only way you will keep up.  Skill transfer paths are very strictly locked to one element if my understanding is right, but if you do fusion outside of dungeons in the main area then transfer of Buffs and Recovery spells is almost guaranteed.  So you are pretty much going to always get some of the most useful skills to brute force your way through the game.  Having demons out during a dungeon costs one of the games kinds of currencies.  So there is a real incentive to push through dungeons with as few demons out as possible (and then gangbang the bosses with a party of 6).

To help with all of that, there is one demon you get that is special and doesn't cost Magnetite to have out.  It is your Zoma.  It has a bunch of unique forms based on what you fuse it with, what level they are etc.  it also doesn't level up but inherits a percentage of the stats of the base demons you use to make it (itself included).  So you can build it up that way.

So there is a huge part of the gameplay that rides on one of the historically most impenetrable systems JRPGs have used.

The contact/recruitment of demons is one of the roughest I have seen.  Some of your success is apparently based on your Int stat (magic defence and magic hit rate) which is a pretty bad stat for the main.  You aren't given much direction on how things work, I have had long conversations with demons that I can't really tell if i am not making progress and just wasting time or indication if you can even recruit that demon without some trickery.  When it does work the conversations are super easy though.

To counter that though, this game has the absolutely most reasonable priced Compendium I have seen in an SMT game.  Like to the point where I think it might be under priced, but that said, you use Magentite for absolutely everything in this game.  There is two currencies, but one of the things Magnetite does is convert to Yen.

Generally the feeling I was getting and what seems to be the general consensus in then go community is that it is actually one of the easier SMT games as well.  Like I said, I may have put it doe not EZ MODO but that is because I want literally no barriers between me and crazy town.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: November 05, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »
Wasteland 2: I walked into a place called Happy Valley and a cheery prerecorded greeting told me the place was run by the Red Skorpion Militia. Everything here sounds pretty upfront, right?

Long story short, I had to leave before clearing the area because I collected more guns than I could carry.

Team's working out well enough so far (Gordon has a crowbar now!), but the penalty for running half the party low INT is starting to rear its ugly head. It's hard to see any attribute in this game as really clearly being the dump stat, even charisma has the important benefit of being tied to XP gains (the team leader's almost lapped everyone else in levels). For the most part I shafted luck (as I'll always do when this is ever a stat in a game) and awareness, haven't seen any hugely obvious ramifications? Maybe I'd get hit less otherwise, I dunno. But yeah, a couple rangers are getting to the point where one level won't give them enough skill points to rank up one of their existing skills. I guess I will have to leave most of their skills at rank three (mildly competent, and the lowest rank at which one level = enough skill points for ranking up a skill) and probably for the rest of the game just focus on maxing the combat skill they were meant for.

I am very pleased to see that proper reverence for the Andy Griffith Show survived the apocalypse. (How far after the war is this supposed to be, anyway? The intro movie gave me the impression it was maybe a couple decades at best, but there are a lot of suggestions in the way people act that it's more like generations. No one's made personal mention of Beforetimes, for example, and when I made a bad joke about a cure for cancer, a doctor said, "Yeah, maybe 150 years ago.")

A little perplexed at the profusion of Teddy Ruxpins, though.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2462 on: November 05, 2014, 08:59:25 PM »
The war took place in the mid-90s.  Can't remember when the game's start date is and I'm not at home.

Anyway, Awareness is a dump stat for melee and skill monkeys.  It's very important for anyone using ranged weapons since it is basically a secondary limit on max range of weapons.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: November 05, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »
Yeah, I've actually had some range issues on, like, everybody. Whoops! Well, not restarting now. Interception fire is a thing, anyway.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2464 on: November 05, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
Playing Smash 3DS and actually doing matches to practice skillz now instead of just unlocking moves and equips. Computer fighters are getting easier but there's such a huge leap in difficulty between playing with items and random stages vs no items and final destination. I can consistently beat a four player set of level nine AI opponents without items, but even just turning on random stages slaps me back down to losing against level sixes. It's really frustrating. Main is Shulk, which might have something to do with it? His recovery is pretty tricky. (I have backslashed myself to death trying to recover so many times...)

http://youtu.be/6SezVDf66YA
Also: this is a thing. A new IntSys game in the works! It looks vaguely Valkyria Chronicles esque. Which I suppose is also XCOM esque? But made by IntSys. It's not a new Advance Wars game, but I am hype for it. It's some kinda Steampunk version of early 1900s fiction and tall tales, with PCs like the Cowardly Lion, Tom Sawyer, John Henry, and lead by The great President Lincoln himself. I dunno what to make of it but I'm buying it!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: November 06, 2014, 03:26:46 AM »
Wasteland 2: "I call that a bargain. The best I ever had."

Obviously the game is very fond of its pop culture references, but I wasn't expecting Who lyrics to crop up in dialogue. Needless to say, I'm quite pleased.

Sgt Woodson was missing half his HP for no discernible reason, so I blew some healing supplies patching him up. No acknowledgement at all. Gratitude!

I have 1x reprogrammed unit of human-cyborg relations following me around now. I thought maybe the folks at ranger HQ might have something to say about this since our ultimate adversaries are obviously robots (both Robpost and the game over screen* told me so), but nope, no one comments on it at all! Anyway, I'm mostly poking out odd corners of Arizona and doing my usual obsessive map clearance thing since other apparent avenues are presently inaccessible:

-Prison vicinity has been scoured clean but I see no immediate way to approach the prison itself. The turrets have 4,000 HP and cut everyone down in one or two hits. I would dearly love to get in there and crotchpunt the everloving shit out of the upjumped bandit chief who calls us all murderers because one ranger accidentally shot a kid years ago while he himself lords over a ghetto slave empire, but that's obviously not happening yet. Geez, tell me I don't have to fix the toaster, I've almost totally ignored that blatant novelty skill.

-The obvious plot destination is blocked off by radiation that kills most of the party before I can reach the safe zone. Sure I could make it with a couple people alive, but why? Presumably I'll find better radiation suits somewhere; I don't see any other way through. Oh wait I just remembered I'm supposed to talk to a prisoner at HQ about precisely that. Whups!

-I walked into Rail Nomad and some kid drowned and everyone started going on about rangers killing kids again. God dammit, game! I reloaded and decided I'd come back when I had, I dunno, a fucking rope or something (there wasn't anything I could obviously do first time in). EDIT: apparently the solution is Gordon breaks shit. Fine by me.

I'm exploring zombie central now where oh god dammit I'm on a death timer again. EDIT: not diseased anymore! Flipside, there is now a naked mutant green baby thing following me around and reminding me incessantly that he is allergic to peanuts. I'd tell him to take a hike but my only conversation option is to offer him candy. Whyyyy did I let him out of his cell.

(*There's a baby nuke on display in the ranger HQ museum. There was a button on it. Look, what else could anyone expect me to do?)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:37:09 AM by El Cideon »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:26 AM »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: November 06, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
Smash 4 - I mostly just play this when other people are around. King Dedede is still the best. :D Not a bad game, but not necessarily my favorite.

Hyrule Warriors - I have about 80% of the Adventure Mode map revealed and just got the Great Fairy Link weapon, which is extremely silly.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140820205417/zelda/images/e/ed/Great_Fairy.png_(Hyrule_Warriors).png

This is Super's fate.

I'm approaching 50 hours in this game at this point, which is rather impressive. I've quite enjoyed using Zelda, obviously, but Impa, Sheik, Cia, and Link are also enjoyable. Some of the other characters I have an appreciation for their existence even though I have mostly stuck with the more traditional characters.

Probably going to tackle Super Mario 3D World next, in honor of Captain Toad, who is of course the bestest.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: November 06, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
This is Super's fate.

WRONG
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: November 06, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »
-Prison vicinity has been scoured clean but I see no immediate way to approach the prison itself. The turrets have 4,000 HP and cut everyone down in one or two hits. I would dearly love to get in there and crotchpunt the everloving shit out of the upjumped bandit chief who calls us all murderers because one ranger accidentally shot a kid years ago while he himself lords over a ghetto slave empire, but that's obviously not happening yet. Geez, tell me I don't have to fix the toaster, I've almost totally ignored that blatant novelty skill.

Toaster repair is never a game-changer (though it helps save a LOT of time for one quest around the halfway point) but it does provide you with access to the best energy weapon in the game.  I believe that you can get it by simply picking up the Rail Nomad kid who can join you, who has enough toaster repair skill to fix it and get you the Gamma Ray Blaster.

As far as getting in, there is a back route in.  Did you find that bigass crane?  It gives you access to a new route past the defenses.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: November 07, 2014, 02:42:39 AM »
Wasteland 2: You're in a desert. You look down and you see a tortoise. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. Why aren't you helping, Leon?

Actually, I did, and I regret it more than anything else I've done in this game. This is in the Rail Nomad camp, a huge sprawling area with a lot of winding paths and little of genuine interest apart from a Return to Sender. You get some very minor experience from helping the turtle and then he plods off...where, exactly? I have to find out, so I start following him. He goes everywhere at the minutest incremental pace, and I mean like goddamn everywhere, at one point it looks like he's bent on walking through a minefield that I'll have to rush to defuse before he can reach it, but at least the game wasn't that sadistic. I keep after him because seriously, after all this time there's gotta be a good secret in store, right? After what must genuinely have been half an hour of creeping after him, he points out a spot of buried treasure and then promptly dies. I dig up the treasure, because after all this time it must be outstanding!

It's randoloot equal to or worse than storebought gear I already have. God dammit, game!

Ralphie is good at fixing toasters, but unfortunately that's all he's good at. I'll take him on the grand tour once I know where a sizable amount of toasters are. In the meantime Takoyaki Takayuki is the seventh wheel. He has respectable starting levels in a couple skills I'd otherwise had pegged to a couple other low-INT characters that couldn't really afford to keep up with them and he doesn't compete with anyone for ammo, so that's good enough for now.

I'm actually not done with Rail Nomad yet, sadly. Lacked the security ranks to steal the artifact, which looks like the only avenue I have for resolving things peacefully--which is less something I mean to do out of principle in this case and more an act of spite to ensure that neither of those stupid pricks can walk away proudly declaring victory at the end of the day. I'll check the prison again later too, presently heading down valley of cultists from Beneath the Planet of the Apes now that I have quality rad protection. Speaking off, goats really really shouldn't make those kinds of sounds. (Any excuse for Wilhelm Scream is fine by me, though.)

I found a CD-i today, and it was actually a quest item! Sellable loot in this game is the proudest mix of kitsch and dead tech--I've picked up snap bracelets and chia pets and furbies and a merkin (why is this in a game). So much absurd shit. (Even actual shit, it's a pretty lucrative resource.) I can't die yet, I haven't read the Richard Grieco story!

Forgot to mention, I like the radio chatter in this game. You overhear dispatches between HQ and other ranger squads while you're out trundling around the world map, and they generally present the impression of an organization that has its act together. Sometimes they cut off mid-transmission when someone gets ambushed or something, and in a lot of other games that'd probably be your cue to rush off and save the day, but so far they've always survived to report back in later (maybe with casualties, but fundamentally intact and successful). So many RPGs tacitly communicate the sad fact that no one other than the protagonist ever does goddamn anything that it's nice to see a developer put in the effort to convey a contrary impression. They're pros, man, just like you! (Actually, you're the rookie team, so presumably they're more pro than you.)

I found a tombstone dated 2102 so yeah, 100-150 years since armageddon sounds right.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:49:13 AM by El Cideon »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: November 07, 2014, 04:06:36 AM »
I actually just got there too!  When I played the first time I hit a couple of issues with the quest forking that have since been fixed, so hopefully I don't get railroaded (HYUCK HYUCK) this time and can still change how things play out even though I fucked up the treaty negotiations.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: November 07, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »
Tales of Xillia - Got to a town where you meet Alvin's mother and learn about her dementia (or dementia symptoms to some HORRIBLE THING).  There is a side quest to get a Heart Herb to help Mila deal with pain she has.  Alvin mentions how he tried to find some to try to help someone he cared about (ie his mother) but they are pretty rare and he had no luck and they are hard to find.  Go to the next zone.  I find 6.  Use one to help Mila.

You don't quite acknowledge this game, that shit is fucking dark.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: November 07, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »
I actually just got there too!  When I played the first time I hit a couple of issues with the quest forking that have since been fixed, so hopefully I don't get railroaded (HYUCK HYUCK) this time and can still change how things play out even though I fucked up the treaty negotiations.

Yeah, ditto. I had enough charm to talk Big Chief Crazy Cone Kekkabah into letting Jessie free and starting negotiations, but lacked the wit to meet the subsequent check for getting him to compromise (woulda made that easily if Shrekette had still been in the party, dammit Ralphie why are you so useless). Oh wait a minute, the last thing I triggered in the meeting hall was Kekkabah telling his dudes to get the macguffin out of its case for the confrontation. So I might not even be able to steal it anymore. Bah! Well, not going back there for a while anyway, easily the most boring place in the game so far.

It looks like the idea with skill books is to conserve them for rank 10 because you save more skill points that way? I foolishly used the first couple I found on rank zero skills, but if they bump someone up one rank regardless of what they're currently at then yeah, definitely saving them to max out skills. It looks like most non-combat/conversation skills you can leave pegged at eight to save skill points, since success with those is percentile based and at rank eight you at least have a (poor) chance of making max difficulty skill challenges.

Angie better get her ass back in the party at some point. I thought she was just going to be Distaff Jeigan when she first joined up, but she's still the absolute embodiment of her surname with an M16 (though she's often using the wrench to conserve ammo, there's competition for 5.56mm bullets).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: November 07, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
Demons's S'souls's - I wanted to be playing Dark Souls but that isn't feasible at the moment on my okay through, so after someone at work was talking about this I decided to go see if I could dig up a copy shopping tonight.  I did so.

Just off finishing 1-1 and not having finished Dark Souls, it feels like Dark Souls respects me and my time way more than this does.  Big long levels with no stopping, no pausing, what feels like lots more guys etc adds up to feeling like it is difficulty circle jerk for the purpose of difficulty circle jerk.  I am not sure if it is actually that or just more primitive design where the mix of Bonfires and Estus in Dark promotes much better feeling of pacing and rhythm.  That said Dark is way more generous with souls in the opening sequences.  Levelling at bonfires instead of a central NPC who is locked away until after you beat the first area is also pretty shitty.

Also I tend to think of Dark Souls as "Guys Hiding Around Corners: the movie: the game".  Based on 1-1 this is "Two Guys Hiding Around Corners While A Third Hides In The Pitch Black Dark Corner: the movie: the game".  Also way more multiple pulls than Dark has.  Soul Arrow OP of course, but mehhhhhhhhhh.

So with that out of the way I should note I picked easy mode, Royal and I am going to focus on magic and get Second Chance and don't mind sitting on my hands to regen mana.  I chugged Spices during Phalanx and spammed all my Fire Bombs, so I don't feel like I am that pointlessly item sitting.

Got out of 1-1, levelled up to like 20 magic from eating all my loose souls.  Now I have no idea what the fuck to do.  I dipped into 4-1 because I hear that is the farm town to go to, so wanted to see what enemies were like.  First dude took half as much damage from Soul Arrow and took 3-4 to kill, so bailed on that, especially after realising I forgot to kill myself in the Nexus before leaving. 

Poked into Tower of Latria since that has been talked up a lot, lives up to the hype.  The audio work there is pretty amazing with both the chimes on the mindflayers, the moans of the tortured and the way the chimes of the mindflayers intermingles with the sound of their Soul Arrows firing.  Suffice to say at midnight I bailed after killing the first one, leveled up one more time and finished for the night.  I am not doing a dark Lovecraftian torture dungeon that late on a Friday night.