Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194323 times)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #975 on: April 21, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »
Anything new in Dark Chasm?

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 21, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
you assholes I don't have the time to go full into scholars of the first sin but I really wanna

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 21, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
sorry

I don't remember old Dark Chasm that well, but it doesn't seem to have changed much. Or at all. The enemies seem to be the same (Havels with great clubs, ghost tree things, pyros, bastards with rapiers/bows) and there are no items (except ascetics dropped from enemies) The boss is the same.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 21, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »
Oh yeah, the Ring of Life Protection costs 14k to repair now, so the endgame carelessness is over

Edit: Ancient Dragon was super easy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:03:25 PM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 21, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »
Covenant-specific zones (Dark Chasm, Doors of Pharros, Grave of Saints, either belfry) are exactly identical in Scholar. I believe they shook up every other area, though.

INT weirdly gives like no benefit between 21 and 30 (the big boosts are all before and after that range for some reason) so gunning it to 20 immediately and then relying on wand upgrades/more ATT for more spells might be sensible caster combo early on. And yeah, ogres are a quick grind for 12k souls or so (plus however much they drop in the way of knight souls and titanite), easy kills for a sorcerer and that's a huge headstart in levels right at the first zone. I normally don't find it a sensible use of time to grind for souls in DS2, but that's a pretty painless quick fix right after chargen.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 21, 2015, 11:50:10 PM »
I think there are a few difference? There isn't a rat ambush near the homeward bone in the Grave of the Saints for example. Sun and Moon belfry also felt slightly different.

Is it just me or do you get even more levels in Scholar? I haven't finished the game yet but my stats feel very NG+y. I have 50 Vig / 30 Int / 30 Faith / 30 Att / Enough ADP to have 105 agility / 15 Vit / 15 End. I haven't even spent one boss soul.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 21, 2015, 11:53:57 PM »
What it actually means is that you fill all your spell slots with muaDarkOrb (its name is a killing word).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPK3nU2746U

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 22, 2015, 04:46:16 AM »
Codename STEAM: Blew up a bunch of queens with The Fox using a Crossbow.

Resonance of Fate: Beat Chapter 2.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 22, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
DS2 - Dragon Curved Greatsword is pretty badass. Anyway, beat the Final Boss and all the DLC, minus the DLC areas without bonfires and most of the Ivory King DLC because booooooring. Fume Knight was the last fun fight we did. Sunken Crown bosses were pitiful, Ancient Dragon was pretty easy once you figured out how to dodge his platform-wide fire breath, and Vendrick was boring. The final boss rush was also pretty underwhelming, but I'll be honest that I was pretty overlevelled by that point.

Found the Darkwraith Covenant area on my Company of Champions Pyro (missed it on Coop playthrough with Laggy) and HOLY SHIT do the enemies in front of the boss door wreck your shit. I eventually gave up fighting and ran for the boss door, then got OHKO'd by the boss. K.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 22, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. - Up to mission 11! 9-2 I had to redo: on the first run, I got to the goal and decided to pick up the last cog and didn't have steam left on Lion to jump back and end it. Enemy turn kicks in, a prowler gets to the goal and I see the shiny Game Over screen. Then I redid the map from my last save and went straight for the goal. The pitfalls to the lower floor are the main trap on that map, which otherwise can be completed as fast as three turns into the fray (which I ended up doing on the rerun, grabbing the missing cog as well). You can eventually get maps down to a science in this game, it's kinda fascinating. 

Mission 10 involved a lot of moving up and down and cheers for Tom Sawyer being a mobility god and soloing the two bosses in the map because fuck yes Punch Gun action economy on enemies that can't be knocked down. It keeps shocking me just how powerful Tom's offense can be at the right times. Regardless, boss missions in general tend to invoke the best out of the game's map design and this one was no different - two critter-spawning bosses! With AoE damage! On opposite sides of the (mostly vertical) map! Kamikaze explosive aliens, flying snipers and tentacles! Hope you at least have a Jump Booster or Rocket Boiler handy if you didn't bring Tom and/or Lion, otherwise you'll have to go the long way.

THIS SAID, I like how there are generally multiple ways to handle any given map - it all depends on what you bring to bear, and the game unlocking mission replays with optional challenges that improve your medal scoring acknowledges this in a big way. I just wish you could replay individual maps instead of having to rerun the entire mission when you do.

Two new characters! The roster's almost complete, guys.

Queen Califia - Well, the last Heavy-class PC sports the worst damage and HP out of the group (160 HP, 50 damage on her Rhino Blaster off the typical 4 steam requirement that plagues all Heavy-class main weapons), along with a crappy special (essentially John Henry's Hammer Blow with more range but less than half the damage). Her passive skill being the same as John's isn't interesting either. So, what does she have? Near-infinite range and immense ease of use. Her Rhino Blaster is essentially a targettable homing nuke, which gives her unparalled vertical and horizontal range even compared to The Fox, with the added perks that come with explosive damage (breaking golden boxes and scenery and, most importantly, crowd control). She can't control her blasts to push things towards you as well as John can, but that's okay. In spite of the lowish damage, the amazing aiming flexibility paired with the natural advantages of explosive attacks add up to make Califia a beast.

Tin Man - Well, Tin Man's basically IntSys's interpretation of a Fire Emblem dancer for Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. His main weapon, the Steam Projector, is a 3-steam refill for your allies, for the fair cost of 3 steam. In a game where a single point of steam can mean the difference between life or death in the extremes, this is extremely valuable and opens a huge array of strategic decisions, both in-battle and in equipment micromanagement (for instance, his steam parcelling allows more flexibility for the low-recovery, high-stats boilers, which otherwise struggle in comparison. It also makes costly subweapons more viable) in exchange for a character slot. Being a Middle-class character with Henry-level durability, he's fairly balanced durability and mobility-wise as well (it's kind of a pity, even, since Tin Man would be -hilarious- as a Light-class. Up to 12 extra steam to parcel as you wish every turn! His niche -does- mean he's meant to hug the Patriot Boiler and NEVER LET GO, though). His special, Steam Bath, mostly expands on his game: AoE minor damage to enemies and 3 steam recovery to all allies within the move's range - including himself. Not a bad sight. His usefulness really depends on how -badly- you need the niches provided by the rest of the party on any given map, of course, but I love meself some turn parcelling, and I'm sure Elfboy would agree with me.

Only one more PC to go and I have -no- idea when it'll join. This is the first mission where nobody joins at all since the prologue (well, mission 7 might count, since the new agent there joins -after- the mission). At this point, the map design -really- needs to dip down the toilet for my evaluation of the game to change, and I've gone through two thirds of it.

(And now I've realized I've been dropping ten billion gameplay spoilers since starting the game. Oh well.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:50:33 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
DS2 - Dragon Curved Greatsword is pretty badass. Anyway, beat the Final Boss and all the DLC, minus the DLC areas without bonfires and most of the Ivory King DLC because booooooring. Fume Knight was the last fun fight we did. Sunken Crown bosses were pitiful, Ancient Dragon was pretty easy once you figured out how to dodge his platform-wide fire breath, and Vendrick was boring. The final boss rush was also pretty underwhelming, but I'll be honest that I was pretty overlevelled by that point.

Found the Darkwraith Covenant area on my Company of Champions Pyro (missed it on Coop playthrough with Laggy) and HOLY SHIT do the enemies in front of the boss door wreck your shit. I eventually gave up fighting and ran for the boss door, then got OHKO'd by the boss. K.

-Cave of the Dead (Sunken King optional area) isn't too bad and I like the boss. Iron Passage (Old Iron King optional area) and Frigid Outskirts (Ivory King optional area) are paiiiinful and well skipped, although the latter at least gives you an excellent hat and a cool ring, could just run in and die for those. Did you guys skip Sir Alonne? I like that fight a lot, though it is tucked away in a side area that's easy to miss (also requires having beat Fume Knight already and retrieved the Ashen Mist Heart).

-Now you know why I always poison arrows chariot to death instead of dealing with him head on. I wouldn't mind dying so much in that fight if it weren't such a slog reaching him.

EDIT: also Grefter one of the default eye colors is pretty much exactly an eerily luminous Fremen blue and I seriously hope you took it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:08 PM »
I actually did Iron passage, and spent too long trying to figure out how to get up on all those ledges (there are items up there; surely I can?), and lost like 50k souls and gave up. Beat the boss though and was unimpressed by the rewards. I'll probably mess around with Cave of the Dead, but the Ivory King DLC was really boring to me and I don't really feel compelled to go back there to find the Frigid Outskirts.

We did beat Alonne, I think. At least, we tried, but I was kinda drunk by the end of that session and don't remember if we actually killed him or not. Definitely not on my file, but I think on Laggy's.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 23, 2015, 12:21:17 AM »
If you beat Alonne without taking any damage you unlock a special death animation. 100% true story. The real Dark Souls starts there. Go get him.

unimpressed by the rewards.

WHAT
It seems that you haven't considered creating a character named Anime Stan, who's wearing the Smelter Demon set, and power stancing a smelter sword + aged smelter sword.

I can see Ivory King as boring, I really liked the cold atmosphere but the level design is the weakest I've ever seen in a Souls game. It just feels like a combat heavy PS2 game with huge empty environments like God Hand or PS2 Castlevanias. (this is hyperbolic of course)

The more time goes by since I've been there, the more I loooove the frigid outskirts. Actually going back there soon is going to be difficult.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 23, 2015, 01:40:27 AM »
If you beat Alonne without taking any damage you unlock a special death animation. 100% true story. The real Dark Souls starts there. Go get him.

Possibly more proud of doing this than of no-deathing the game.

Yeah, the problem with Ivory King is the huge environments that are just totally empty. This is a really imposing, gigantic fuck-off castle, but there's not much of anything in there. Bare stone corridors filled with lots of the same enemies (I hate the crystal-back/shield+spear hollows possibly more than any other enemy in Dark Souls 2). I guess every now and then there are crates you can break but that's about it for scenery. Dead environments like this are really glaring after the sheer busyness of Bloodborne environments, and Eleum Loyce is really one of the worst offenders in DS2. It just doesn't feel lived-in, not because everyone's undead but because you can't imagine it ever felt like that since there's nothing around to suggest what kind of personality the place might ever have had. That said, it does have some nice loot and I like the mandatory bosses (Ivory King's arena is just too impressive for me to hold the sheer bitchiness of getting through the initial mob against the fight). Also if you didn't thoroughly clear the zone then you missed two of the most obnoxious NPC invaders in the entire game, which is maybe a good thing but maybe also not (the return of MALDRON is such an apt mimicry of human invader trolls that I have to assume From was deliberately being meta).

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 23, 2015, 05:20:27 AM »
unimpressed by the rewards.

WHAT
It seems that you haven't considered creating a character named Anime Stan, who's wearing the Smelter Demon set, and power stancing a smelter sword + aged smelter sword.

Tbh I am way more enamored with using the Pharros mask to make a sorcerer named Socrates but I need a way to work poison into that.

Re: Ivory King, yeah the emptiness had a lot to do with it, but… I dunno, it's not that it doesn't feel lived in, its just that it's so… uninspired. Big fuckoff ice castle. Oh look ice themed mobs. Oh look now the enemies that didn't aggro before aggro. Lookit that. Wow. It feels a lot like upper undead burg, actually, except Burg is way shorter and the first goddamn area in the game so it can get away with it. The only cool thing there was the mimic in the ice, not a whole lot else.

For better or worse, the boss was pretty great for coop and only one Loyce knight saved, and it has the best crown.

God I need to take screen shots of Dennis Rodman when I get home. He has been the best pychadelic fairy rave princess you ever did see.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:22:15 AM by Makkotah »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: April 23, 2015, 05:27:05 AM »
Codename STEAM: Blew up a giant monster in less than 10 turns.

Resonance of Fate: Chapter 3 completed!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #991 on: April 23, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
Codename STEAM:

Got to play with Marth thanks to a friend with an amiibo. Holy crap he literally has no ranged attacks. This would make him completely awful in a game built around range except...

He's got the most broken passive ability ever. He, ironically, ignores damage from counters/overwatch.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 23, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Ho ho!  Time for words!

Magic: The Gathering: Dragons of Tarkir  (and also hanger-on small set Fate Reforged)

This is a set about dragons.

Dragons are popular, I am told.  People love these majestic creatures of awe, wonder, magic, and power.  They're incarnations of pure ego, representing greed and vanity, in European traditions, or nearly the exact opposite in Eastern mythos.  As Nasu might put it, they exist in a conceptual realm a level above that of humanity.  Blah, blah, blah...

Well, I don't really like dragons.

I don't dislike them.  I certainly don't hate them.  They're... fine.  There are certainly interesting things that can be done with them, like just about any supernatural or mythological creature.  I don't get the elevation, though.  But to use them as a mantra, to say "This set is about DRAGONS and will have DRAGONS in it!  That is why you should buy and play this set!" just doesn't do anything for me.  It's like shouting "There will be ELVES in this set!  Willowy and ethereal, yet enduring and mana-charged!  Everyone, get hype for Llanowar Elves!"  But nobody does, there's no particularl excitement for elves in Magic, not even when there are special and interesting elf-exclusive things going on (like there were in Lorwyn!).  By the same token, there's at least *a* dragon in almost every Magic set these days (except for the one named Dragon's Maze, ironically) and many of them are decently powerful and interesting cards.  So I don't get the whole DRAGON SET!!! hype.  Must be a marketing thing, like the angel craze that got some people believing Avacyn Restored was good.

Enough words about how I don't like the gimmick, though!  So, we have dragons.  That's... nice, I guess?  What do they do?

In limited, there are a fair number of cards with dragon tribal synergy, which lets players... um... well, you can't actually intentionally draft or build dragon decks, because there are no common-rarity dragons to be passed around.  There are a lot of very strong dragons at uncommon and above, but they're all strong enough to be slam first picks.  And then, the lucky drafters who opened some insane dragonlord get rewarded again with the dragon synergy cards being passed to them, since the people without dragons can't play them.  You don't really draft a dragon deck so much as open one. 

Mark Rosewater once said that "if your theme isn't at common, it isn't your theme."  For Dragons of Tarkir, he backpedaled on this and chewed out people on his blog, saying the real intent of the quote was "if it isn't at a high enough as-fan it isn't your theme."  (as-fan here being the statistical reference of how often a given element shows up in a random booster pack.)  This would be understandable, except when you go back and look at the original quote, no, he really did mean common.  In my last post about MTG I talked about the difficulties inherent in taking Rosewater's public statements at face value; this article provides another eloquent analysis that I find myself agreeing with.

Going back in time a few years (or possibly forward in time to this fall...), the Rise of the Eldrazi set made a distinct point of having its namesake Eldrazi at common.  Not just the little brood spawner ones, either, but the giant lovecraftian 8/8s with Annihilator, those were at common.  The entire draft format was built around that fact.  It was highly experimental, but the experiment was a massive success, Rise of the Eldrazi is generally heralded as one of the best draft formats of all time.  So why are there no common dragons in the dragon set?

In the storyline, Sarkhan's gone back in time and changed things in order to save the dragons, and the result of this is a world full of dragons... who eat, destroy and dominate everything and everybody else.  The clans and khans were demolished.  Far from being a better timeline, this is demonstrably worse for everything on Tarkir that isn't a dragon or engaged in a crazed obsession with dragons. 

So putting all the pieces together here, what we actually have here is the social privilege set, where the gameplay and flavor both intertwine to create a dynamic of the haves and the have nots, the special and powerful vs the plebs they rule over, the dragons vs everyone else.  Dragons aren't at common because dragons themselves aren't the theme at all - the theme is dragons stomping on everyone else, and the players with dragons need to be the distinct minority in order to feel special.

If you can't tell already, I'm not a fan of this set.  I see what they did there and I don't like it, and I distinctly hope it doesn't repeat with Eldrazi 2.0 in the fall.

Oh, the actual gameplay?  It's... fine.  The mechanics are generally boring and Fate Reforged being the last pack and "pivot set" is something that... just doesn't matter.  Rebound is back, but stripped of all power, so who cares.  Prowess is supposed to be gone, but as it was one of the actually good mechanics of the block, it still exists in sneaky form on several creatures.  Morph is now megamorph, because, I don't know, change for the sake of change.  Dash exists and asks one-sided, medium difficulty questions in limited sometimes.  Bolster... exists.  And finally we have Exploit as the marquee mechanic that actually works well and influences gameplay, although it's hardly new in concept.

The khans are gone, though.  Mana fixing is gone, except for the FRF pack in draft.  Megamorphing costs more and results in bigger creatures.  Outlast is gone.  The prowess deck is still there, the BW warriors deck is still sort of there (but with vastly reduced synergies), R/X token aggro is still a thing and there's a nice UB exploit deck to be had now.  But overall, the limited format feels much less interesting and less complex than Khans, and frequently comes down to haymakers. 

In constructed, there are dragons.  The dragons there are powerful and format defining for the year going forward.  Dragon theme decks are a real thing, in Ojutai, Silumgar and Atarka flavors.  So good job there I guess.

Overall verdict: disappointment and a sense of unease.  Seems like the set is banked really, really hard on people digging the draconian superiority thing, and that may be a litmus test for liking it or not. 

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 23, 2015, 07:57:27 PM »
I haven't played DTK limited but I suspect I broadly agree with you: they'd have been better off if they had common dragons that were strong, but also common strong removal, more mimicing older design philosophies.  To go on a brief tangent: WotC has said elsewhere that they try to keep the power level of commons much more harshly in check than they used to, because commons show up every draft, and they want drafts to differ, so a different mix of rares & uncommons will matter more between every draft.  Fine.  That said, I definitely think that's a miss for a dragon set: just uber the limited power level of everything (while ideally keeping the Constructed power in check).  If that makes commons unusually potent, well, oh well.

I too wish that the narrative had been a little clearer that the Dragons timeline is a *dystopia*, but I guess they wanted to have their cake and eat it too - dragons are SIMULTANEOUSLY shiny and awesome as well as megalomaniacal tyrants, since players seem to want both.  Kind of like how Blizzard treats Primal Zerg in Heart of the Swarm: sure they're still bloodthirsty crazed predators with some social Darwinist kill-to-become-stronger thing, but they're also cool and the good guys now because there's something even eviller out there, yay!  Don't get me wrong, villainous protagonists can be great, just please recognize the edge that made them villains.  So yeah, the flavor on Dragons is definitely "Sarkhan brought back the dragons and this is GREAT and also here check out how everyone is enslaved to the dragons' wills now or get eaten."  They should have made neo-Narset as some kind of very sympathetically portrayed freedom fighter and in some anime clash with Sarkhan & Ojutai for screwing everything up, like Chrono Cross done right (since this timeline screwing really DID make things worse).

Also, that linked blog is *interesting* but I really disagree with some of his opinions.  I think one of the comments to that blog post had it right on Mark Rosewater: think of him as like Stan Lee, he's in love with his own work, something really obvious if you've seen his enthusiasm in-person.  He's not exactly a shill, and if he is, the effect on his writing is pretty small: Wizards wants Magic to sell to make mad cash, Rosewater wants Magic to sell because he thinks it's totally awesome, same diff.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 24, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »
Suikoden Tierkreis: Early-game spoilers for those who care.  So the Grayridge weapons shop functionally opens up (i.e. no more 10x prices), followed by a plot-only no randoms journey, followed by....  a new weapons shop in Cynas with better stuff now that you've spent your money on the first one in Grayridge.  Very skill-testing.  Then I fight some librarians, then get told to go through the damn Grayridge mines AGAIN, then get teased with a multi-party thing that doesn't actually matter but trains you for the real version (maybe?).  Then they reshuffle my party again, Liu joins up, and it's time for the big boss battle...  except they also forcibly stripped my support forcing me to wander off in an unintuitive wrong direction to add her back...  and then after all that build-up, not even a plot battle.  We don't even capture the jerks we have cornered and let them run off for some reason.  At least TRY you idiots, this is an attack.

A brief aside.  "Plot fights" are a classic tool to preview bad guys in combat to show what a threat they are.  Fine.  However, the right way to do them is the way Suiko3 did 'em: give the enemies uber offense such that they will wipe your party out, but normal defense, so that you have a fighting shot at killing 'em.  If you win, have the enemy pull out some plot power BS, then continue as before (entirely merited with the Masked Bishop anyway!)  Suiko Tierkreis instead gives plot enemies good defense but uh Suikoden enemy offense.  You're SUPPOSED to clearly view these as desperate fights where you're outgunned, but, um, no, I'm pretty sure I can take these guys, maybe with using a few items, lemme at 'em game.  I guess plot fights are highly personal taste dependent (I know some people hate all of them and that is silly) but this isn't really to my taste, at least unless the game actively wanted to set these guys up as beatable.

Okay, moving on.  The Tenkai is acclaimed as an awesome leader as usual, but since he actually has *lines* I actually buy this and it's pretty cool.  Zed of Omega Company now runs Megido Fortress, you might detect a trend here.  So I go off and meet people & stuff and help an extraplanar dog-guy run away from a fortress, but he's apparently wounded, so that's the perfect time to force him into my party to fight.  Luckily a doctor finds us (!) before we can even look for one, but then we can't get Cougar the dog-man home, because you have to return via the same Gateway you came in.  And this might explain why Our Hero can't leave either, so clearly I'm from another world too!

Wait a second...  earlier, we found out that if you visit another world, you're semi-invincible to the inhabitants of that world, and it requires another planar traveler to defeat you.  This is kind of a silly idea (why aren't there !gypsy Wanderer overlords doing their best FE9 Ashnard impression and being unstoppable badasses in other worlds?) but sure.  So why were you worried about your wound, Cougar?  But more importantly, I've been wondering why all these enemies, even the hyped plot enemies, sucked so badly at killing me.  I do believe we just got plot / gameplay integration here:

WAIT A MINUTE! I JUST KILLED DEATH. THAT MEANS I AM IMMORTAL! NOTHING CAN STOP ME NOW

Yes, this is actually a pretty solid excuse to be such a badass.  NONE OF YOU CAN STOP ME, I'M FROM ANOTHER WORLD, HAHAHA.  I actually hope they run with it, which would actually be a decent justification for those "fated showdown between hero & villain" type things that fiction loves, since hey, Macbeth can't be slain by one of this-world born, so it's gotta be you.  (That said I fully expect them to have something lame like "it only works for monsters" or else forget about that plot point entirely.  Oh, well.)

On the plot, while I won't complain about the anti-Destiny track the game is taking so far, it's a little weird to see that in Suikoden, with its 108 Stars of Destiny?  And with the plot point already established that only a few special people get the cool powerz and everyone else can suck it?  The destined few fighting that there'll be no Destiny?  This can work, but it'll be weird.    (Also, this is more me talking out loud & explaining my own current thoughts, please don't feel the need to argue / explain on how the game handles the Destiny / Order plotline if you've played the game before, at least not yet.  I'll find out as I go along where they're taking this thematically myself.)

Checking a FAQ, apparently I have to go visit the Grayridge Mines AGAIN to find another recruit.  W.  T.  F.  They want to give me PTSD about that extremely boring place, I see.

Also, I promise the talking speed calms down later.
That's too bad.  My biggest complaint with the game is its speed - 3 second death animation on this enemy, 3 second spell animation, 3 seconds and a music change to go to a menu, slow walking speed, it adds up.  The Tenkai being in a hurry is positively charming, everyone else needs to emulate *him*, not for him to slow down!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #995 on: April 24, 2015, 07:17:55 AM »
Well, Tierkreis gets much more explicit about the whole 108 Stars thing, but it's worth pointing out that a recurring element of the original series was that utilizing the power of the Stars allowed you to change destiny.  To change the laws of nature, the wills of the True Runes, toward more benevolent ends.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 24, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. - Mission 12! Oh god, camouflage-clad Prowlers, this is gonna suck. Mission 11 was another boss battle, this time one with a time limit - in fact, probably the same one Meeple mentioned. I'd talk more about it, but the aggressive solution to that one is sorta clever and I don't want to spoil -that- specifically. This said, boss fight and this game, yet another map I liked.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:44:34 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 25, 2015, 08:28:37 PM »
Yeah, it was that mission.  Just defeated another boss fight again, this one involved...blowing lots of other stuff up because that's how America does things!

It really is amazing just how much smoother the game is with an "enemy turn speed x2" option; playing the N3DS is probably even better where there's a x3 option.  It doesn't completely undo the biggest problem the game has, but it sure as hell makes it a lot more bare-able.

Also, I will admit that I do use Save Points pretty liberally, though they do feel balanced.  First usage of Save and Restore All is reasonable, but the price gets up fast, so you don't want to abuse it much.  Granted, the fact that it restores the entire parties Steam is another huge deal.  Still, game feels balanced around taking advantage of save points, and not intended to be taken with an FE Style "reset when die" approach.  It's hard to plan things in an FE way when there's effectively FoW equivalent in every match and you don't know if enemies are on overwatch and all that.  This isn't a flaw of the game, mind you, since the implementation of save points feels like it's the game's way of acknowledging this quirk and trying to let the players have a tool to work around this, if that makes sense.  That and there's no Perma-death, though losing a single PC can be catastrophic, especially if there's no Save Point to revive them with.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:34:10 PM by Meeplelard »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 25, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »
Codename STEAM: Save points can revive? That seems like a handy tidbit. Hadn't been using the full-party restoration function much so far.

I definitely have been usually restarting the whole map when I die, because I feel like I can trace most deaths back to early errors. Sometimes not, but yeah. Just beat 5-2, which was probably one of the harder maps so far. Nothing like having rippers knock you into the range/AoE of artillery attacks. Or artillery attacks knocking you into other artillery attacks. Definitely something I need to plan for.

Game's enjoyable so far. XCOM made by team Fire Emblem but somehow notably less like Fire Emblem than XCOM is. The limited perspective definitely changes up the formula significantly.

Wild Arms 4 - Nearly done.

Airport gave me some trouble because of Misery2 enemies stealing my MP. So I ground for the Raquel/Yulie MP-healing unite, which made things better.

Gawn (2 resets) - Well if he kills Yulie first I lose, can't possibly slug him down before he kills everyone else. There's no way to keep him from targetting whoever he wants, so... yeah. Luck pretty much!

Farmel - Pretty much the same as a normal game.

Reclaimer Dragon - He hits really hard and has solid overall stats, and sleep can make a mess of things... he does in fact put Arnaud to sleep at the start, which is bad news. But by keeping him out of the centre hex he can't really threaten Yulie, so I can patch things up until Arnaud is able to Illusion him, which wrecks everything he does except status, which is manageable.

Riesenge (8 resets) - Ack. I mispredicted which Illsveil boss would give me problems, apparently. So he gets two turns before Arnaud's first, even after I reset and come back with a 6th class level. He'll do one of two things: one is to buff himself and then use MAP ARM, which OHKOs Yulie, Arnaud if he hits, and Raquel sometimes. Did I mention it's MT? So I can't just distract him with Jude's first turn like many other bosses. This tends to just wreck me. Alternatively, he uses Sky Twister, which 2HKOs everyone except sometimes Jude. Did I mention everyone starts in the same hex? Ack. No matter what Jude does, he may Sky Twister the other three PCs again. So this is another pretty RNGish fight. On the winning run, he goes for Charge->MAP, Yulie dies immediately, but nobody else does. Arnaud is able to land Illusion to slow down his offence, then throws out punishing Hi-Blasts. Everyone else dies to Sky Twisters but Arnaud is able to do the needed damage, fortunately Riesenge HP is pretty awful.

Cyanoides - Well if he walks to the water hex turn 1 I know I'll lose. He doesn't, so I move Jude there. I have to try very hard to keep Jude alive (defending a lot) since if he falls there's no revival, and even the water hex doesn't reduce the damage Jude takes that much (Kresnik takes less despite not being there). Fortunately Cyanoides eventually goes on a stupid run dicking around by walking a couple times, so Kresnik is able to take the spare turn not needed on healing to move to the water hex as well, enabling Gadget Crush, which ups Jude's otherwise terrible damage into something that can 3HKO. Unfortunately Jude does die before I'm able to win, but Kresnik's able to do the finishing damage with Apoptosis.

Erytheon - Fortunately he dicks around with useless moves like MP draining, because he has potential to be brutal; Yulie starts in the water hex and he has Cremation, ick. Yulie's first turn is spent moving out of this (I could Replace, but I don't want him in the water hex either). Arnaud jumps to the water hex instead and blasts away for huge damage. He does die eventually, as you might expect, but Raquel is able to finish the job. Arnaud misses out on exp for once, don't get used to this.

Lambda - This is pretty tough, but I'm able to pull through on the first try. Lambda uses his ranged physicals to butcher Yulie, so that's bad, so from there on it's mostly a matter of hoping to hit through his nonsense. I try to set up with Arnaud on the elemental hex to the right, Raquel in the centre, Jude to the left, and Illusion on Lambda to waste some of his turns. Unfortunately he moves right and kills Jude so I'm not really able to maintain position and just have to pray for luck. Illusion again, kill him with Hi-Blast. Arnaud hits every time, everyone else misses every time, everyone else dies, Arnaud gets all the Exp, somewhere Tide smiles for reasons he isn't sure about.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 25, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
Codename STEAM: Save points can revive? That seems like a handy tidbit. Hadn't been using the full-party restoration function much so far.

Save and Restore All specifically can revive, yeah.  The only penalty to dying in the game, to be fair, beyond the obvious "you're down a PC" is you won't get the survival bonus, so using it for that purpose is not really worth it since it probably won't really offset the cost of Save And Restore All, especially if used multiple times a mission.