imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194322 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #950 on: April 17, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
In the well , near RRV, give a pharros snack to a pharros face to make one of the stone rats spill garbage all over the floor.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 18, 2015, 01:30:29 AM »
Dark Souls 2: Only Old Iron King left before leaving for Drangleic

So how do they manage to make each new entry in the series (including this remaster) have even worse spiders than the last one? I feel like I'm always talking about those spiders, but still , seriously:

- Demon's Souls had Armored Spider, which was already the worst.
- Dark Souls had Quelaag, Quelaag's nice but super gross sister, and Ceaseless D. Horrible.
- Dark Souls 2 had all of Tseldora. Millions of spiders + Trap n°1 (red chest) + Trap n°2 (near the quicksand) Trap n°2 (That room near the locked door) + Trap n°4 (opening the chest behind that locked door) + Traps I'm probably forgetting + Spiders near the bonfire + Spidermen + The web room + Freyja. lol
- Bloodborne had a spider boss that uses the power of the PS4 to summon way too many spiders at once. It has giant spiders with human faces. It has you realizing midway through the game that giant-er spiderlike things were watching your every step and sometimes attacking you in various areas of the game. Then it has you fight one. It has random dungeons terrifying red spiders that are incessantly and infinitely respawning until you find the bell girl that you can't find because you're running the hell away.
- Dark Souls 2 Scholar had Tseldora 2.0, which is just like Tseldora except with spiders hanging on walls everywhere and freaking you out constantly unless you have a bow build and get all OCD about killing all of them.

What's next From?

SJW Inquisition: Hahahahahahahah that jump. I need a turbo controller to spam that instead of walking.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:32:10 AM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 18, 2015, 03:45:57 AM »
You become the spider.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 18, 2015, 09:52:06 AM »
That's basically Bloodborne's "true" ending anyway. EDIT: also Fenrir how could you forget the best spider in Bloodborne.

Fenrir I stared at rat vomit for several minutes just for you and was not able to discern any Heineken Souls. I can't state definitively that it's not there, but I sure couldn't spot it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:05:45 AM by El Cideon »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 18, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Nier - Finished the B ending, or second playthrough, or whatever you want to call it.

The second playthrough really helps round out Nier as a game. A lot of the plot makes a lot more sense, and it's rather thought-provoking and definitely leaves an open question as to whether the actions of the characters are justified. Overall I feel like the game managed to create a conflict with no truly bad characters and where so much conflict just comes from miscommunication and assuming the worst of others, and that's pretty interesting.

Kaine backstory was also nice. I ended up really liking all four of the "main party" cast. None are among my favourite characters ever, but they were all super-memorable and brought something interesting to the table. Rest of the cast is mostly just there. I liked the final dungeon duo but I felt if you're going to pull that with those characters, that you should do more with it? Most pointless character award certainly goes to Noir; I'm not even sure if the game was just kinda trolling you with that. Then again he's Weiss' anime rival, and as such I conclude he gets about as much screentime/importance as anime rivals deserve.

It's not the best-written game ever or anything; it's really more about its broad concepts and some of the executions could be better. There are a few things that I wish the second playthrough had helped more than it did (Aerie sequeunce remained unsatisfying). But overall it's a breath of fresh air.

The music is great. I was a bit skeptical since I'm not a fan of most game vocals and I was worried that the music would be of that overdramatic vocal type... but I can really only think of one, maybe two tracks that fell flat in that regard to me. Most of the rest was really outstanding. Special shout-out to Hills of Radiant Wind being so good, since you hear it a fuck-ton and music you hear a fuck-ton being good is very, very important to me. (I'll take reasons why Chrono Cross soundtrack is unimpressive for $100, Alex.) Music direction is also stellar and I loved how various themes reappeared in certain places and how extra instruments would fade in and out depending on location and how a cutscene proceeded.

Gameplay... sigh. "Clearly worse than Devil May Cry 2" sums it up. I play plenty of action games and this is one that just feels obviously lazy, and rather bland. There are some good ideas with the bullet hell sequences but once you realise you can just block it who cares. I will give it this: it isn't aggressively bad. I can think of virtually no times the gameplay actively annoyed me. It was just there, something to get through before seeing more of the story, characters, and world. But it's still disappointing. Also given the emphasis on the party, I feel an opportunity was missed to give it a turn-based party-oriented RPG combat system. I'd love it if this game had FF4's battle system and I shouldn't be saying that about the game. Just imagine if it was anything like Wild Arms 4... *swoons*

I've seen some people say the game has bad graphics? I guess I just don't care that much. It has decent CG sequences where you can clearly make out facial expressions and that adds a lot to cutscenes and that's really the most important thing I can say about graphics.

Overall good game but I still have no idea how good. It's not as good as, say, Suikoden V to me, a game that I even more unequivocally like the writing of and find the character growth system more appealing. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of 6/10, but after the second playthrough it that feels like it's more likely to be a lowball estimate than the highball I would have called it before. And regardless of what rating it earns it is certainly an interesting game and would be high on my list of things to recommend from the (generally unimpressive) PS/360 generation.

New Super Mario Bros. U - Beat Bowser, now working on getting the remaining star coins (I have almost all of them) and doing the ninth world, which will be truly uncharted territory since we didn't do that in our group play of the game.

Wild Arms 4 silly challenge run continues

Enil - Somehow she is even worse than normal because Jude's dinky physical means he barely does any damage to his allies when killing their clones, not much to say past that.

Silver Star Express - The soldier fights here can be pretty rough. Dreadnoughts counter everything but hitting the hex with Misery, which sucks. Chemical Fighters do damage + disease which isn't as bad overall but occasionally can be nasty, and does favour not stalling. Pyro Gunners are the real problem, though, since their fire damage really stings, and poison is always bad. Still, it's the combinations which can be tricky. Resist Fire and Dispel both see some use here, and Genocide Edge, which I learned in Etemenanki, comes in handy a couple times. One reset on a fight with two Chemical Fighters and two Pyros.

Tank Vehicle - He's nasty, wrecking the party fast due to starting adjacent and being fast. Jude moves to hopefully distract him, but no good; Yulie and Raquel die. Arnaud uses Illusion and Jude uses Short Circuit, I win.

Balgaine - Jude and Raquel get in his face in the centre hex, Yulie and Arnaud in corners he never attacks. No real use for Arnaud since I don't have Reinforce. Jude Short Circuit, Raquel Poison Bite then Dragon Edge, Yulie Revive. Straightforward. Sadly I screw up and have people dead when Balgaine dies from poison.

Tony 3 - Like Tank Vehicle he brings the offence, but loses a valuable turn stepping forward, and Illusion is shutdown again. Kresnik is super-tanky compared to what I'm used to so that doesn't help Tony's cause much.

Super Soldier (5 resets) - This fight. THIS FIGHT. Okay, Super Soldier opens with Blast, 2HKOing everyone except Yulie and sometimes Arnaud. He gets a second turn before Arnaud's first, and will happily complete the 2HKO. Fortunately, moving Jude forward gives him a new target (and one he can melee, so usually Jude gets hit). Sometimes Super Soldier will move turn 2 instead, which is great. Jude sometimes dies from now, sometimes not. If he does he's not coming back; that's a Yulie turn I can never afford.

From here, a few difficulties present myself, namely that Arnaud's elemental blasts don't OHKO, Jude's Phantom Lines don't OHKO, and Material... is borderline. With a lack of great offensive options I instead spend my first Arnaud turn jumping to an elemental hex (bringing Yulie and Raquel), and Illusioning the adjacent enemies. If Super Soldier has moved, I jump adjacent to him to hopefully eat up most of his turns with this. Otherwise whatever. I defaulted to jumping to the fight but in hindsight this was a bad idea probably as whichever enemy I go adjacent to often wastes turns moving, and it's good if the the soldier on the right does that since sometimes he'll order everyone else to attack with his own melee attack and that sucks.

Yulie's first turn is tricky. I toy with various strategies, such as Material and Protecting to make her mostly immune to Blasts, but eventually realise the best idea is just to Heal (in WA4! Yes!), which maximises the chance of both Arnaud and critically, Raquel being alive. Because from here on, if both live to get a turn, especially with Illusion evade effects, there's a decent chance I get off Genocide Edge, which kills all the soldiers except the leader. From there on, Illusion is hopefully enough. On my winning run, Yulie does die, but that's okay, the others finish the job with Raquel landing a nasty elemental Dragon Edge.

Tough, and I definitely need some luck in the opening rounds (either Magic Blocker or Super Soldier moving), but a fun fight and eventually I get through.

Prototype Gear (3 resets) - Gets two turns immediately. Can OHKO Yulie or Arnaud (unless Arnaud dodges) or ID them with Radious Breath. This fight is kinda RNG because if they die before I get a turn I'm not winning (Jude's Short Circuit hitting the fourth boss out of the last five does make a game of it, but it's not enough). So I pretty much need to hope that either Prototype Gear misses with ID twice (at least on Yulie), or he decides to move.

Eventually he does move (downwards) without killing Yulie, at which point I'm able to have Jude and Arnaud close in to surround him while Yulie is outside of his range. That's game! All his attacks hit adjacent hexes or a line, and Yulie can revive. If he'd moved to the centre I could try to accomplish the same thing with Isolate.

Actually the end of this fight is a bit dicy as at one point Prototype Gear breaks out of Illusion and goes on a badass run and kills everyone but Yulie. Reviving actually isn't that easy, but Arnaud is the best bet, and if he lives long enough for Illusion I can probably count on getting others up too. I am a bit worried about Yulie's MP though, for a moment.

Augst - I'd kinda like to give the kill to Yulie but he absorbs elements so I'd have to chip him down to like 100 HP or take ages letting Yulie tap away at him, no thanks. Nothing else to say about this fight!

The break point fight in Dragon Fossil Mine is a real bitch. Both the Necromancer and the two Helter Skelters can order focused attacks which wreck me utterly. Usual problem of OHKOs being hard, even with Yulie being able to pull them with Hi-Sanctify. Necromancers randomly evade magic (including Sanctify) and this is awful. I have to reload and come back with a different skill loadout, the key change being the addition of Hi-Blast, which allows Arnaud to one-shot even without the fire hex (and has a chance to one-shot Necromancers with the fire hex). And then just pray to the RNG gods.

At this point everything is getting nastier. Fortunately the next run of bosses isn't that amazing (I hope) at least until Reclaimer Dragon. We'll see, though.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 18, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »
Fenrir I stared at rat vomit for several minutes just for you

<3

I wanted some more trophies so I restarted as a sorc/hex build. Maybe I'll go back to twinblades later.
Hex still feels as good as before but I've only used dark orb so........

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 19, 2015, 04:19:42 AM »
Awakening equal XP: Bah, getting frustrating.  Flames on the Blue, aka the ship map, played about as cowardly as possible (throw out boarding planks, IMMEDIATELY RUN AWAY from them and hide in the top of my boat).  I can probably survive if I have Tharja go hang out near the front and Nosferatu everything to death, but that'll make getting XP for everyone else difficult, but attempting to fortify the top of my boat still gets me potentially overwhelmed easily.  I can surely win if I switch to "casual mode allowing fake deaths" but want to give it a bit more of a shot first.

Suikoden Tierkreis: Started this after getting too frustrated with Awakening.  The battle mechanics in this game are pretty tight, Dark Souls types might like it for precision timing and so on.  For example, do you do press down -> press a for an autobattle?  It's theoretically a tad faster, but your units will spread their attacks around randomly.  "Press A repeatedly" with no directional button press will nicely focus on one enemy but is maybe a bit slower, but can also be done one-handed, if, say, you are sucking your left thumb and holding the DS with your right hand.  Now, here's where it gets really interesting: certain enemies you're supposed to use magic on, but there's no memory of previous commands or anything, so you get to hand-select the magic damage command for all your troops every turn!  Thrilling.  The magic animations are nice & slow too so you can appreciate 'em.  There's like a battle every 5 seconds so you get lots of practice in your techniques, too, and admire Mine #328 that I've hacked through in video games.  And none of that 2x / 4x battle speed option from Bravely Default that scrubs use a handicap, or memory of previous commands as mentioned already.  We'll see if I can make it through.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 19, 2015, 04:30:05 AM »
Good news is that there support PCs who can instakill randoms lower levelled than you (which is a lot of them) or give you a 100% run. And the load times are fast (particularly compared to, say, S5)! So it's definitely possible to get the time spent on gameplay down pretty low. Which isn't a good thing to say about the game, but the rest of the package is worth it.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 19, 2015, 04:51:35 AM »
Encounter-None, or a "don't get into encounters with lower leveled enemies" support, would both be pretty sweet, yes.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 19, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »
Smash 3DS: Finally did All Star Mode and classic mode with all characters, Mewtwo included!  Now back to Abraham Lincoln!

Resonance Of Fate: Also started this up, completed the prologue.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: April 19, 2015, 07:59:58 AM »

Run away.  Quickly.  Mind you this is coming from a tri-Ace fan.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #961 on: April 19, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
I'd say play it until you get bored of it and then quit without regret. But that should go for all games, I suppose.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #962 on: April 19, 2015, 11:11:18 PM »
Suikoden Tierkreis: Started this after getting too frustrated with Awakening.  The battle mechanics in this game are pretty tight, Dark Souls types might like it for precision timing and so on.  For example, do you do press down -> press a for an autobattle?  It's theoretically a tad faster, but your units will spread their attacks around randomly.  "Press A repeatedly" with no directional button press will nicely focus on one enemy but is maybe a bit slower, but can also be done one-handed, if, say, you are sucking your left thumb and holding the DS with your right hand.  Now, here's where it gets really interesting: certain enemies you're supposed to use magic on, but there's no memory of previous commands or anything, so you get to hand-select the magic damage command for all your troops every turn!  Thrilling.  The magic animations are nice & slow too so you can appreciate 'em.  There's like a battle every 5 seconds so you get lots of practice in your techniques, too, and admire Mine #328 that I've hacked through in video games.  And none of that 2x / 4x battle speed option from Bravely Default that scrubs use a handicap, or memory of previous commands as mentioned already.  We'll see if I can make it through.

I LOL'd. Though really, Tierkreis has a fun enough setting and is blessedly short enough that the battle system doesn't matter too much to get the most enjoyment out of it. Also, I promise the talking speed calms down later.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 19, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »

Run away.  Quickly.  Mind you this is coming from a tri-Ace fan.

Just quit when you finish Christmas~

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 20, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. - Currently on mission 9-2. The pacing just doesn't let go, does it. Mission 7's maps were -brutal-, 7-1 in particular got scary as fuck once I opened the gates to the exit, with Berserkers and grenadier Prowlers pouring in while sniper Prowlers munched away my units at the stairways. 7-2 wasn't actually that bad in spite of the cramped up spaces, but it's very intimidating and requires a careful approach. The highlight of the map was Tom soloing a mutated sniper Crowler with mighty Punch Gun thwacks that kept it trapped and swinging like a ragdoll. -In fact-, Tom just shines in that map with the mobility and his ability to hop up steps, along with his positioning shenanigans. And, once again, strategically placed landmines proved invaluable for controlling ground. Mission 8 was definitely simpler, but the boss fight was hilarious. I was on a timer there, since Tiger Lily died to random ground tentacles and the boss itself, which I had Tom parking next to, 2HKOed him. I managed to kill the boss on my turn's -very last action- and that was that. 9-2 looks like a doozy, with two large floors to rummage through, but hopefully the new team member should prove useful.

New characters! There are three, but since I haven't had the chance to actually use Queen Califia, I'll focus on the people who joined in the fun earlier.

Randolph Carter - Well, the package doesn't -sound- like much. Randolph, being a Middle Class character, gets balanced stats and mobility, but somewhat on the low side (130 HP isn't too impressive, though better than Tiger Lily). His main weapon, the Unspeakable Lure, involves him dropping a slab of frozen meat to bait enemies. It deals no damage and only lasts one turn. Doesn't seem exactly great, right? But it's one of the most valuable abilities you could ever ask for: it takes enemies out of hiding and diverts their attention away from the party, often wasting their turns. They -can- attack you through it, but it generally works wonders to take foes out of hiding and position them into a place you want them to be. It also completely trivializes Berserkers, who are scary motherfuckers if they latch onto you. His special, Eldritch Shield, halves damage for all the affected allies for a turn, which is certainly useful when you expect to be under heavy fire, and his passive ability (improves critical damage) has amazing offensive synergy overall. Especially considering...

The Fox - Holy -shit-. The Fox. This lady here is utterly nuts. Light Boilers mean she gets a heads up on mobility, though her durability sucks (120 HP is the best out of the Light class, but that's uh still not good, all relevant Light Boilers lower defense to boot. So she's at best Tiger Lily-level). Her main weapon, the Fox Rifle, costs 4 steam, though, which is -a lot- for something that deals about as much damage as a Punch Gun thwack. What's her deal, then? First, the -obscene- range on the Rifle. No one can aim as far as she can by a wide margin, and this also means she's the best at scoring critical hits - which you can stack scarily with Randolph's passive and the Ninja Boiler. Her range also makes her the best at overwatch shenanigans, which get compounded by her passive skill, which improves overwatch damage, and her special, which makes her stationary for a turn, gives her an extra 12 steam -and- doubles range and damage of overwatch attacks, so you could park her on a spot where you -know- enemies will be pouring in and have her bust heads. Which you can -also- bait in with Randolph (in fact, Randolph and The Fox are -meant- to be together at all times in Campaign mode. The synergy is just incredible). Oh, and the Fox Rifle is cheaper on overwatch, spending 3 steam. With decent aiming, The Fox's offense reaches utterly nutsy realms - I had her OHKOing BERSERKERS with the Steam Crossbow (and The Fox should -never- use any other subweapon, in all honesty. Pulling off 400+ damage for 2 steam is completely insane). Best character in the game so far hands down.

The general rundown of characters remains mostly the same - PCs are very static in the game. I used Henry on 8-1 and he did quite well there, since that stage rewards his Eagle Pistol's range and damage. John has been left mostly untouched since Queequeg joined - he's clearly the worst of the explosive characters as of now due to being generally less flexible with his weaponry and a superior special can't really stand up to Queequeg's amazing range and passive. Lion's still amazing, but the last few stages have called less for his offensive mobility. Tiger Lily's still useful as your only AoE healing, Scarecrow is quite niche (for all that he'd have come in handy for 8-2's tentacles and I'd expect shiny numbers off stun-spammed criticals with The Fox) and Tom... well, Tom may not be even a top-tier PC, but I'll be damned if he isn't a ton of fun. He's just very versatile for a PC primarily geared for scouting, with a great - if strange - primary weapon and game-best mobility due to being able to climb and hop over obstacles. He also does hilarious things to stationary bosses and enemies in cramped spaces. Just don't saddle him with healing: Tiger Lily pulls off the low-durability healer schtick due to having a unique, powerful niche in that and Tom lacks that while being uniformly frailer than her.

I'm really not sure who I'd recommend this game to, but it's definitely a serious contender for game of the year in my book.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:12:37 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #965 on: April 20, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »
Code Name STEAM:

Yes, you got to Fox. I was waiting to see your evaluation of her. She never stops being the best, though other characters are certainly good, the turn economy on her Overwatch+range, ESPECIALLY when paired with Randolph's Unspeakable Lure or Scarecrow's Pumpkins is invaluable on basically every map. She is the sole reason I was able to beat the game as quickly as I did. If you want a challenge, you can basically just do a no-Fox run of the game, since it's NOT an easy game. The AI is ridiculously cruel, even though predictable, and I feel like Fox is the PC most able to take advantage of its predictability.

Quick ranking of in-game worth:

Fox >>>>>>>> Queequeg = Califia >>>> Lion > Tiger Lily > Tom > Henry >> Randolph > Scarecrow >>>> John

You basically always want Fox, then either one or both of Queequeg and Queen Califia. Your last one or two slots depends on the map. You can sub John for Queequeg if you just like him, he's -usable-, just outclassed entirely and brings nothing unique. Lion/Lily/Tom all do things that are always useful and unique to them, so they are likely to see use even on maps not tailored to their skills. Henry is a good all-rounder due to overwatch and his awesome OPB damage on his special, but nothing that can't be replaced by the heavy hitters like Fox/Queequeg/Califia or even Lion. Randolph and Scarecrow are -unique-, but situational.

I totally used Randolph all the time though because he's a Lovecraft character and I <3 me some Lovecraft. (Unspeakable Lure is Soylent Green.)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 20, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »
I totally used Randolph all the time though because he's a Lovecraft character and I <3 me some Lovecraft. (Unspeakable Lure is Soylent Green.)

As subtly acknowledged by John Milton.

The big deal with The Fox, though, is that while her critical game can be replicated by other Light Boiler characters (it mostly comes from the crit boost on the Ninja Boiler), none of them can replicate the range and overwatch coverage. The Ninja Boiler also gets in the way of the others' niches (Tom -badly- wants the three extra steam from the Scout Boiler and Scarecrow's too frail to get into the fray often, he wants to stay at range and stun large areas from a safe distance. The extra steam on the Scout Boiler also makes the difference between a Pumpkin Stunner or two -at the very least-), while it feels frankly MADE for The Fox. The Fox is the only one who can afford to sacrifice some Steam recovery for the offense, and you're -mad- if you're considering putting Tom Sawyer and Scarecrow of the game-worst durability on hardcore overwatch duty.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:25:11 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:09 PM »
I'm really not sure who I'd recommend this game to, but it's definitely a serious contender for game of the year in my book.

Well I know what game I'm starting next.

Wild Arms 4

As expected, this section of the game is fairly easy. No resets on fixed fights at all!

Kesaran Paseran - I'm probably mangling its name. Anyway it doesn't really change much on this challenge, its damage is all in 25% target HP chunks, so there's not much to say. Blow it up and heal away any counter damage.
Goldrake - Illusion. It doesn't use spells too much, which helps. Widespread poison is a pain, but manageable.
Jeremy - First form I am fortunate enough that he doesn't go after Yulie. Illusion wrecks him. Second form goes after Arnaud, so Jude walks forward to hopefully hold him in place and Illusion locks him down forever. Despite the fact that Raquel's physical only does like 1000 damage, he somehow manages to die to her counter anyway, because some things never change.
Jane Does - Well Triple Threat nearly OHKOs, that's kinda respectable? Arnaud Illusion, Yulie Protect self, Raquel move to Yulie's hex (as she's in OHKO risk). After a few tries they stop trying to Triple Threat and a couple of them even move adjacent to Raquel. Why would you do this. At least they resist all elements available on the map, but non-elemental Hi-Blast + Hi-Sanctify + Comet Strike takes care of business anyway.

The big thing I have trouble with in this section is an Ape Man Vargon I run into on the Fallen Bridge. I have a few resets trying to set up my strategy; he'll often OHKO people (Arnaud rarely dodges, Jude/Raquel can proc their defensive skills or sometimes survive naturally) and I can hardly damage him at all (100k HP, good evade), but he takes full 25% damage from poison so I try to set up Illusion, Poison, and Shut Out. Later in the battle he starts spamming Agony Effect which just OHKOs anyone (Shut Out might be the reason?), but fortuntely he dies from poison right before he can do this to Arnaud. Arnaud's level lead gets even bigger! He's at 43 now, with Raquel at 40 and the other two at 38 or so.

New Super Mario Bros. U - Beat the ninth world. I'd beaten the maingame before in my group playthrough, but this was new. Anyway, the ninth world was good fun. Last stage was pretty anticlimactic (kinda like SMW, I suppose; nothing like SM3DW's monster), just a couple minor puzzles to get the star coins. Some of the other stages were really nasty, and they were all varied and good fun. Game was enjoyable, not much to say.

Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 21, 2015, 01:19:10 AM »
Dark Souls 2: I think the shrine is easier now that fireflies are easier to see and the final area has a lot less enemies.
The summonable NPCs everywhere are really cool, and help me deal with invaders a little. I like black crystaling them out of this world when the boss is near dead, and that has to be the biggest jerk move in the entire game when you're summoning other players instead of NPCs. Jester Thomas, Belleclaire, Scarlet, etc: They all hate me.

So many spells, I don't care because I have 3 slots filled with Dark Orb, and with a dark Sunlight Staff +5. I sometimes switch to the regular staff +10 for big magic sword swipes and Homing Soulmass because they're super fun. (but low on charges)

I tried Great Resonant Soul with Caitha's Bell. The nerf is massive, this is pretty much only useful in PvP now compared to Dark Orb (consumes 500 souls, does like 600 damage when Dark Orb does 500) Dark Orb is still pretty hype so whatever.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 21, 2015, 02:38:40 AM »
Hexer strats:

1. Cast Dark Orb,
Is it dead?

Y-Target different enemy, return to step 1
N-Return to step 1

I find hexing pretty dull because you literally never need more than the one spell. At least you get some neat utility spells with sorcery (Repair, somehow useful for once, thanks for that DS2 weapon durability). Speaking of, I am running a sorcery file now because there clearly weren't enough in progress already. Mostly I just toss Magic Weapon on the Black Scorpion Stinger and only shoot spells when something's trying to run (this worked out really well when I was bellbroing it up to get the covenant spell for trophy purposes). Armor is shadow set + goatskull. I really wanted to toss on the domino mask here but it's a rare drop from one non-respawning enemy which of course I didn't get, could burn ascetics but that's a PVP zone and I'm not sure how to turn the game to offline mode again so ffff. Oh well. This is one of the more outrageous costumes you can put on in this game, at least. Maybe it's just me, but running looks absolutely ridiculous in the shadow pants, like kind of a high-speed duck walk. It might be this was always the case and it's only more noticeable while having mutant claw feet.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 21, 2015, 04:37:19 AM »
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons: So between this and Valiant Hearts, I've played two games that are "gamey" and I've been trying to think of why it works for Brothers and bombs in Valiant Hearts, so to speak. By gamey, I mean that the design of the world is structured around contrivances that serve as the basis for puzzles (who the fuck would design those mines that way). I think a big reason why it works here is that the whole point of the mechanics in this game is to help build the characterization and relationship between the two brothers, whereas similar game mechanics actively hindered the storytelling and tone of Valiant Hearts. The characters speak but in some weird Simlish, but you can pick on meaning very easily by inflection and body language. Most of the puzzles are really intuitive and it really is all about the brothers working in concert to accomplish things, each one with exclusive actions (older is stronger and can pull levers, younger can fit through small spaces, younger refuses to swim so he holds onto older's back).

Even after beating it (only a few hours of play), controlling the two brothers with the two sticks never felt natural, but possibly the most interesting part of the game is that each brother has a separate interaction button, and the game lends itself to interacting with as many things as possible, if only to see the differences with how they brothers react to the same things. For example, you meet a dude and a harp that you can interact with, and the little brother is virtuosic while the older brother is terrible at it. The older brother is a little bit more focused on their general mission (getting something to heal their father), so when he interacts with people, he usually shows them a map of where they're supposed to be going. The little brother is more mischievous, so his interactions involve pouring buckets of water on people, slapping people on the butt, spitting in wells, etc. There are also a lot of small interactions you can do that I actually wish were not tied to achievements. They involve helping a man who is about to commit suicide, helping a group of baby turtles back to their mother, and even playing basketball with a little girl. The most interesting part of the game for me was the beginning in the village, where you get to interact with all the inhabitants and really establish the two main characters.

The game also has benches that the brothers can sit on, which is a little reminiscent of ICO's benches, but their only utility is to show off some great scenic vistas in the game. The game goes to all kinds of places which don't really make a ton of sense in terms of what kind of geographical area they're in, but the areas are generally good looking.

The big thing with the game is that the entire game involves you learning the basics of the mechanics and it all builds towards one moment that pretty much can't be spoilt for you to really get the full impact of it.

One of the older brothers dies, which is something anyone could have told you from looking at two minutes of the game. The younger brother refuses to swim because their mother was in an accident at sea and he could not save her, so to maneuver in the water, he hangs onto the older brother's back. After the older brother is killed by the suspiciously superathletic girl who is actually a giant spider (THE MRAS ARE RIGHT, WOMEN ARE ONLY OUT TO DESTROY MEN, SJW ARE CENSORING GAMEING), you are very starkly aware that you are only controlling one brother on one stick. The game also forces you to fill your brother's grave, which is one of the best uses of slowed, deliberative movement in a game, since it really does feel effortful and impactful.

In the end, the younger brother has to make his way back home, and he has to swim. He is at a loss and just stands in the water with his head down, but you hear the older brother's voice, and I instinctually pushed the older brother's interact button. You are now alone but through your loss and the relationship you've built with your brother, you have to have the resolve to do everything that he had done for you in the past. You gain the strength to pull levers you couldn't and overcome your fear of the water. You can make it on your own.

For a lot of things, people say that it's about the journey and not the destination. Here, I think most of what you're going to get from it is going to stem from your reaction to the ending part. It worked for me, and while I can recognize that many things about the game are imperfect (some sections seem unnecessary and out of place in an already short game), the thing you remember is your emotional reaction and not what came before it. Since it's dependent on emotions, it may not work for everyone (and I think a lot of people who it doesn't work for think the game is really mediocre), but I think it's worthwhile. The game is really short so there isn't a huge time commitment to see whether it works for you, but it is definitely something that you need to play (and with a controller) to get the full impact, and that kind of thing is rare in gaming right now.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 21, 2015, 05:12:33 AM »
Hexer strats:

1. Cast Dark Orb,
Is it dead?

Y-Target different enemy, return to step 1
N-Return to step 1

I find hexing pretty dull because you literally never need more than the one spell. At least you get some neat utility spells with sorcery (Repair, somehow useful for once, thanks for that DS2 weapon durability).

Sounds to me like a cool perk for being an awesome cool person who uses Hexes.  Only need one spell?  Spare slots for Repair.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 21, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »
What it actually means is that you fill all your spell slots with muaDarkOrb (its name is a killing word).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 21, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »
I... think I need to go play some Dark Souls 2 now.

El Cid has invoked the magic link.

Muad Orb started.  I learned things today.  Things like Laggy is a liar who is just out to hurt my feelings.  He told me the ogre in Forest of Fallen Giants doesn't drop anything, but Soul of a Proud Knight is not nothing, it is something.  It is 2000 souls worth of something and a Knight's proud soul.  Laggy clearly hates America and the fine proud men and women that fight for This Great Country.

Also Sorcerer is clearly the class that people who are Good At Games play because suddenly I am Very Good At Video Games.

Didn't get further than first bonfire in Forest, but gunning for 20 Int/Faith asap and gunning straight for the Bastille.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:44:17 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 21, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »
Hex build takes a little time to get going, it's not going to be immediately awesome even if you rush for the Copse and Bastille.

The Sunset Staff will be worse than the basic wand, until you get a ton of twinking titanite (Need to pursue some pursuers), and going through either Heide's Tower (or Lost Sentinels) to meet Straid early on is pretty hard as a newbie sorceror.

So I'd suggest taking your time at first, going through all the forest, not raising faith to 20 too early because it'll be useless to you compared to more HP/Attunment/Endurance, etc.

You'll have the best PvE build in Dark Souls 2 pretty soon though.
Do not forget to infuse your Sunset staff with dark (because you can actually do that)
You might also want to keep a few boring soul arrows + your boring mage wand around, just for those enemies strong against hexes like Darklurker. (Incidentally, I fought him right away and now think this is now my favourite boss?)

I find hexing pretty dull because you literally never need more than the one spell.

Oh yeah, I really do like Dark Hail too. It's not Dark Orb, but if Dark Orb is your R1, Dark Hail is your R2, if that makes any sense. It can be pretty fun to use at point blank / against crowds.
I'm fairly sure a melee build with Dark Weapon /Resonant Weapon could be pretty fun too?

The best part about the remaster is that you get the Ring of Hugs much earlier. I keep it on all the time. I can't believe they just made something so cool well hidden in NG+.

Titan Souls:
Good concept (it is Shadow of the Colossus) but one hit kills + having to walk back to the boss after death = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_veHrROj_E
I find it almost unplayable as a result.
I killed 3 bosses.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:43:05 PM by Fenrir »