imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 94252 times)

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #500 on: February 26, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »
Niu is the RPGDL Mascot.

Is Fenrir going to do horrible things to me too!?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 28, 2016, 12:17:35 AM »
Only if you're lucky.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #503 on: February 28, 2016, 04:52:12 AM »
I'm sorry, didn't you understand that by playing them you are obligated to document them in excruciatingly minute detail for the rest of us so we don't have to play them? For free?

You'll never become internet famous this way.

Well, no, not THAT way. But I have other venues open for becoming internet famous. ;)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 29, 2016, 12:56:18 AM »
Bravely Default: I got the bad ending, beat all them bosses and got to Chapter 8. Exterminate was all my damage again. A bit tired to do it another time. They got so lazy! This is magnitudes worse than Xenogears disc 2. I'm shocked.

SMT4 No Fusion + Support MC:

I'm back to this.

I had beaten Minotaur before stopping.
Well, right after Minotaur there's Medusa, who is even harder.
She murders all the team with pierce and elec attacks and gets three attacks  per round. My demons are either too low leveled, or weak to gun / elec. My main character has all the (de)buffs but even with all of them super stacked on everybody, my healers get turned to mush if Medusa decides to focus on them a little. Oh yeah she can also MT stun, which is fucking ridiculous. The whole thing is bad.

I level up my demons to see which kind of hidden skills they have. Maybe one will help? I am really desperate at that point. I'd need something really really good to get the edge.
After one battle, Genki tells me he'll evolve soon? So evolving is still a thing? Cool. I train him a little and then he turns into this badass lightning panther that's immune to pierce AND absorbs elec. Yes yes yes. I carry him to the battle and he gracefully carries me all the way through it. Score.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 29, 2016, 01:13:28 AM »
Bravely Default: I got the bad ending, beat all them bosses and got to Chapter 8. Exterminate was all my damage again. A bit tired to do it another time. They got so lazy! This is magnitudes worse than Xenogears disc 2. I'm shocked.

Yeah even those of us who like the game a lot don't excuse this decision. The plot behind it is kinda cool as per discussion previously in this thread, but its gameplay is lame. There are some cool boss fights buried in there, though; just have to get through the four crystal defenders one last time!

Fire Emblem Fates - Up to chapter 20, everyone is promoted. Game continues to have map designs which are both very interesting and soul-crushing because I am bad. I think it was a very good idea that this game lets you adjust the difficulty downwards, because it does not fuck around.

My Corrin has -Skl and this has definitely hurt me at points, so credit to the game designers for realising that maybe, maybe, not all stats are equal in FE.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 29, 2016, 02:42:31 AM »

Fire Emblem Fates - Up to chapter 20, everyone is promoted. Game continues to have map designs which are both very interesting and soul-crushing because I am bad.

Okay cool don't need to buy thx for review.lololol like I wasn't going to buy Pokemon White ezpz mode one anyway when I get bit
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 29, 2016, 02:51:33 AM »
Grefter you must play Fates on Phoenix Mode and wonder why the hell I am so bad at the game.

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 29, 2016, 02:58:33 AM »
I keep getting all these trophies and awards whats the problem?

Also I will legit go out and buy and play this before the Con if the final boss fight is against God who might be your dad in a space station.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 29, 2016, 12:09:46 PM »
ZennyGunpoint - I played and finished this, liked enough to do all the dumb achievements and it was great.

Highly recommend for a cheap puzzle stealth game.  Fairly light weight but puzzles are intuitive and kinda freeform at times.  The final level feels very predefined though right up until the end where like 1/4 of the achievements are for fucking around in the final encounter.

Fun little game.  Great considering it was just in a random humble bundle.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:11:17 PM by Grefter »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: February 29, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »
Bravely Default:

Got the "Bad" (I guess?) Ending in Chapter 5.

I don't think the game assumes you'll do this because it started dropping references to things I hadn't yet seen. Airy continues to be the Worst Character.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 01, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »
Yes Gunpoint remains the best Asshole Simulator since Alpha Protocol.
I kinda don't want to get all the achievements because they tell exactly the bad things I've done during my one first playthrough?

The best part was when I got some remorse for manipulating nice guys, almost told the truth, chickened out at the last minute, and got an achievement for doing specifically that / being a huge coward. The achievements are all so great. I think I've talked about it here already?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 01, 2016, 03:16:26 AM »
There was a reason ZennyGunpoint was on my to play list.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 01, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »
raid life

http://i.imgur.com/VHJ7oyu.png

4 hours before weekly lockout reset, patch week
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 01, 2016, 08:18:09 PM »
Layers of Fear: Blitzed through this while Ash was being a bachelorette. Got an ending? My understanding is the game has more of them, but I am unsure how you get them. Will try and see what I can do.

That said, game is a... what did Alex call it? Haunted house game? Which is probably fairly accurate. Actual gameplay is pretty minimal (walk around, maybe solve an occasional puzzle, find collectibles and notes) and you mostly just wander around getting spooked and observing set pieces. Which, I want to say, are fucking phenomenal in this game. Some of the best horror set piece construction I have ever seen. The game basically slams you repeatedly with impossible space, nonsense layouts, changing room details, etc. They do overuse some things (draw your attention to one thing, then spooky thing immediately behind you when you turn), but the effects just occur so smoothly. I'm pretty sure Alex caught me asking several times "Wait, wasn't that not there?" "Was that painting always that way?" "Oh fuck I refuse to turn around because something is gonna scare me."

I also got jump scared by an empty hallway.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 02, 2016, 12:25:27 AM »
Fire Emblem Fates - Playing Conquest route, up to chapter 16, Hard Classic.

Wow, this game's gameplay is ridiculously good so far. Awakening is a fine game, and I have always rolled my eyes at the more extreme hate it gets (not here, mostly), but its gameplay had some big flaws which needed fixing. They are, by and large, fixed. Some of these are fixes to other weaknesses which go much further back. To ennumerate them:

You forgot one very important thing: facial expressions in the combat preview.  If you're about to send someone on a suicide mission, or otherwise get the crap kicked out of them, they look all distressed / sad.  If they're likely to defeat an enemy without taking damage in return, they tend to wear an expression that can only be defined as a shit-eating grin.  It's great.

So is that a new thing? Fuck mascots?
I approve.

Yeah, I think it might be related to anime.  There's an anime show involving scantily clad middle school girls with superpowers that came out a few years back that did this too, wouldn't be surprised if there was some cross-pollination.  I hope that sufficiently ruins things for you.

Also SMT4 Medusa is indeed p. badass.  I recall her as a tad weaker than Minotaur but that counts for very little.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 02, 2016, 02:24:37 AM »
You forgot one very important thing: facial expressions in the combat preview.  If you're about to send someone on a suicide mission, or otherwise get the crap kicked out of them, they look all distressed / sad.  If they're likely to defeat an enemy without taking damage in return, they tend to wear an expression that can only be defined as a shit-eating grin.  It's great.

It's a shame they didn't implement this for Henry, although Camilla's _^ has certainly been engraved upon the souls of many enemies and that'll have to do instead.

It also doubles as a quick way to see if this planned attack may be a bad idea, which is nice.

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 02, 2016, 04:44:39 AM »

It shall be engraved upon your very souls. 
Finishing strike.
^_^

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 02, 2016, 08:15:17 AM »

Oh so it's Paranormal Activity: the game? Pass.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 02, 2016, 02:44:03 PM »
Dragon Quest 8: I am free! And by that I mean I am done the main game. Never again will I be playing this. Well, okay that's a bit harsh, but the game's final hours were not a good one. I've mentioned this in IRC but it bears repeating: the game really could've been 10 hours shorter and it will still be plenty long.

The greatest strength of the game is the setting. It falls into a category I dub "an Exploratory Game", meaning the game expects you to go about exploring this wide new world, interact with its environments and so on. The towns are huge and the world map is huge - so there are plenty of places to visit and plenty of places to go and find out new things. There are tons of items and world map chests and the towns actually feel like towns with the bustling activity and day/night system. I love how the game made religion relevant by the way. By turning all your save points into Churches, so every town has one. It made it feel that it was relevant, where in other games, it might be mentioned once or twice and you're expected to believe that it is important all the way through. When DQ8 works a concept, it tends to drive it home - for better or for worse.

The exploratory setting would all work very well, if not for one teensy tiny problem: the encounter rate is ridiculously stupid. It's hard to get from place to place quickly and hard to convince yourself (especially later) that its worth looking at that detour because of how many encounters there are. This wouldn't even be so bad if it weren't for the fact that there isn't a good way to null encounters. I compare this to other games of this nature such as Wild ARMS 3 or Xenoblade, where in those games, if you don't want to fight, you could just cancel encounters repeatedly. This made travelling and exploring fun because you're actually getting to explore the area. In DQ8, the downfall is that your methods of doing so are limited to start, and aren't even that effective. Holy Water is truly the only way to guarantee you won't run into anything, but that requires you to massively out level enemies, which is a downright chore since it involves hunting Metal Slimes (again hammering on a point) and those things are jerks. This is a huge blow to what would otherwise be quite enjoyable.

In terms of gameplay, this is a mixed bag. I guess it is very traditional Dragon Quest, where experience is important but you can't get it sans hunting Metal Slimes or something. Truly, to make the game faster (and possibly more enjoyable), you have to hunt these things, and they suck. Worse yet, grinding on anything else is terribly inefficient, so it is like you almost have no choice but to dwell into this realm of insanity. The skill point system is neat but it suffers from the Wild ARMS 2 syndrome in that once you place your points a certain way, there are no backsies. This is very damaging to what would be a neat system because it encourages you to like FAQ your builds from the start, which is a bit silly. It doesn't help that the NPCs that are supposed to help you in this regard are vague as hell, so it's impossible to know where the good passives are and where the best skills are. I followed the speedrun guide so I had a Hero with his 1/2 MP cost thing pretty quick, but if I were playing on my own, I don't think I would've dropped 90 points into Courage that quickly. If you could reassign skill points this wouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be hard to implement either - just create an item that allowed you to reassign skill points. You already have like 300 items from alchemy, some of which are useless.

Speaking of Alchemy, this is a mixed bag as well. While it is not required to beat the game (thank god), it does run into a slight issue that Tal brought up before about games using an Alchemy system: In order to have a good alchemy system, the materials have to be common. DQ8 follows this enough for *most* cases. But in the case of forging new equipment, it really fails. Experience isn't the only thing that is really short in the game - money is too. It's not exactly FF12 economy, but it's tight enough that you can't afford to buy 3 Plate Mails for example and then try to brute force a combination to make better armor. This ends up being a big "Just FAQ it" moment, which it really shouldn't be. I will give the game credit because in some ways, this does make your decisions on what to buy more important and there are recipes in books scattered around the world. But at the same time, it hurts this alchemy system because it just encourages you to hoard things, which limits your gold so you have to continue to grind more.

Plot / Characters were passable. There is a pretty noticeable lack of development, which is probably what made the game felt like it dragged on for too long. None of the characters really change and none of them really make much of an impression, but at the same time, I don't hate any of them either, so that's a plus. The plot of the entire game is essentially one huge ass fetch quest and it doesn't really change from that. At some point, I also had to gather 7 Dragon balls or something to defeat the final boss. It served well enough as a back drop for the game so I won't say much else here. I got more use out of Yangus then most people it seems like. Jessica was like useless for about a huge chunk of the game until towards the end, so I don't get any sort of hype for her but maybe this was just sucking ass with Alchemy or bad skill builds. I dunno. Guv was probably MVP with his massive healing reserves thanks to MT full heal and 1/2 MP cost.

Overall, game is probably like a low 7/10 for me. Might be a 6.5/10. Final PC levels were 36/37/37/35 for Yangus/Guv/Angelo/Jess respectively. Die less, please Jessica.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:46:06 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 02, 2016, 03:49:28 PM »
After reading that rant which was generally negative about a game I like reasonably well, I'm surprised that you actually give it a higher score than I do! Different scales probably, but I was still amused. I agree with most of the comments/criticisms, except I didn't find the encounter rate that bad myself, although I'm not sure how I'd feel a decade later. And Holy Protection warded off encounters just fine in my experience... (Though, I mostly just spammed it in the dungeon where you're down a PC, not sure if its performance there is atypical.)

Jessica is good because (a) the durability curve is honestly pretty small and DQ8 bosses don't hit that hard unless you're both neglecting good gear AND underlevelled (which you were), (b) Acceleratle is great and makes healing ridiculously more reliable, (c) best speed and damage. Meanwhile Yangus has meh damage and the worst speed and a crappy skillset, and IIRC his few AoE or actual high-damage skills were super-costly in terms of MP.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 02, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
Yeah, I dunno, Holy Protection worked just fine for me, and I didn't grind at all.  Flip side, I didn't avoid encounters that much, either.  So I think "massively outlevel enemies" might be a stretch; "on par" might be more like it.  (Still sucks, the game should make it easier to LLG, but I 'get' it from an old-school design perspective, don't let the player shoot themselves in the foot by getting too underlevel.)

For Metal Slimes, I think that's speedrun thinking, Tide. :)  A nicer way to put it would be that grinding Metal Slimes is hugely *efficient* (rather than normal battling being inefficient).  It's a cool bonus, but the game is not really balanced around you hunting lots of Metals. 

Jessica ranges from "solid" to "easily party-best" pretty much the entire game.  Very early, she has Acceleratle and okay spells.  She gets TDL pretty early and that never stops making her a huge threat against single enemies (barring rare times where there's been no whip upgrade for awhile).  By midgame she gets powerful spells for clearing groups, MP regeneration, & Caduceus for free healing in sloggier dungeons.  (The last two are assuming you invest in Staves like I warned you, of course!)  Lategame the edge between TDL & other single-target rivals only gets bigger if anything, and she either gets Kazing from Staves to make it hard to die or gets Hustle Dance for free MT healing.  Throughout she's super-fast which is always nice.  Throw in some random weird buffs that completely own certain fights (Insulate vs. that boss with Fire & Ice breaths in the cave, for example).  I can't really fault DQ8r for nerfing her.

I do agree that DQ8 is probably too long for my tastes these days.  I'd probably chop 10 hours out of the first half of the game, though, ideally focusing on quests that have nothing to do with the PCs plotlines (e.g. cut "make the sad king happy", keep stuff like Trodain / Abbey / Yangus's pal / etc.).

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 02, 2016, 05:43:31 PM »
After reading that rant which was generally negative about a game I like reasonably well, I'm surprised that you actually give it a higher score than I do! Different scales probably, but I was still amused.

It was actually enjoyable for about 3/5s (up until Dhouly really). I have some major issues with some of the execution of ideas so I thought I should explain myself. The game seems to be this beloved masterpiece that could do no wrong so I thought I would be more detailed regarding why I didn't enjoy it as much. 

I agree with most of the comments/criticisms, except I didn't find the encounter rate that bad myself, although I'm not sure how I'd feel a decade later. And Holy Protection warded off encounters just fine in my experience... (Though, I mostly just spammed it in the dungeon where you're down a PC, not sure if its performance there is atypical.)

I had Holy protection, Padfoot and Waters. I think Water and Protection did the same thing. Padfoot was really worth it though since it made travelling later areas much less of a pain. The random encounter thing hurt more because running away was unreliable and you often had to menu and heal outside afterwards, which dragged things on. So yeah, all that contributed to randoms feeling sloggier than normal.

Jessica is good because (a) the durability curve is honestly pretty small and DQ8 bosses don't hit that hard unless you're both neglecting good gear AND underlevelled (which you were), (b) Acceleratle is great and makes healing ridiculously more reliable, (c) best speed and damage. Meanwhile Yangus has meh damage and the worst speed and a crappy skillset, and IIRC his few AoE or actual high-damage skills were super-costly in terms of MP.

I guess the few extra HP really matters. Some of the best items I made were for Jessica and she had a Life Bracer on for the most part. This still didn't stop some boss patterns from one shotting her. True, while the HP / defense difference isn't large, and other characters could get one rounded, they weren't often OHKO'd. And this is a big deal when I played it. Being able to survive with even just single digit HP could make all the difference since it allows Guv or Angelo to drop Full Heal the next turn, as the boss might not always drop its best pattern on you. On the other hand, getting OHKO'd means you have to deal with Zing and revival in this game sucks.

The damage thing I think is just me sucking at Alchemy. I basically had no new whips until about Empychu, which meant that she was walking around with some 30 power whip for a while. I resorted to using her as a mage, but the game doesn't make it easy to know what enemy weaknesses are, so half the time, it's just throwing spells up and hoping they aren't resisted. In boss fights, she basically used Acceleratle and then Oomph, then was useless. Acceleratle is great though! MVP status? Eeeeeeeeeeh...probably not. Late game, I also had Meteorite Bracers which mattered more and combined with some of their equips (Mercury Bandana for Guv and Mercury Rapier for Angelo) made them go before most things pretty reliably. Acceleratle is still great for consistency although it gets Wave of Ice'd. As for Mr.Yangus, I had both Thin Air and Axes of Evil for MT/GT respectively. One costs 2 MP and one cost 0 and both were serviceable for quite a while. Helm Splitter was free and doesn't cost MP and deals damage at the same time. His speed sucked though, yeah. Although it was so low that he would predictably go last!

By midgame she gets powerful spells for clearing groups, MP regeneration, & Caduceus for free healing in sloggier dungeons.  (The last two are assuming you invest in Staves like I warned you, of course!)

I've never found her spells strong enough for MT clearing, even when pumping Wisdom. I also did not have MP Regen or Caduceus or Kazing. This goes back to what I was saying earlier about not being able to reclass skill points.

Throughout she's super-fast which is always nice.

Unless I slap her with the Meteorite Bracer, I honestly never found this to be true the entire time I played it. She has the highest base but turn order in the game was so finnicky (thanks DQ8!) that she could go sometimes after Yangus. I think we mentioned this in chat before, but this is another gripe I had with the game. If I could reliably make Jess go first, she would be better, but as is, eh. The speed doesn't mean as much without a way to push a tier above or a tier below and the only way to do that is with the bracer. And I much rather put the bracer on Angelo or Guv to ensure speedier healing, although there are uses for putting it on Jessica.

Throw in some random weird buffs that completely own certain fights (Insulate vs. that boss with Fire & Ice breaths in the cave, for example).

I don't think you can really catch on to this if you're running mostly blind. You could also hype Divine Intervention and things like Magic Burst but honestly, some of those options I think just require you to do more than 1 playthrough or read through a lot more documents. The best uses she had were Oomph and Acceleratle. TDL late once I actually had a good whip. The rest? Meh.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 02, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Magic Burst hype can actually go jump in a pit, what with how MP restoration works in DQ8.  You can equip Staves and regen mana and basically never run out despite spamming spells if you like, but the game doesn't really have "here insta-max your MP with one easy item action!" moves.  Magic Burst is useful for certain aftergame fights, maybe, but that's it.

If you were always behind on whips, that could explain a lot.  I don't think THAT many were alchemy-based, but I could be wrong, and her best requires casino grinding which I won't fault anyone for skipping.

DQ algorithms are screwy.  Spells scale with stats but very, VERY weakly, so Wisdom Seeds aren't going to do a lot.  We're talking, like, a 20 damage difference between "spell when you first learn it" and "same spell at endgame."  It tends to mean that the spell you just got is OP, and the spell you learnt 5 hours ago is obsolete.

Midgame Jess can't usually single-handedly clear a mob, but the Boom-type spells + a rang throw (or Zap line) from Guv will often do it, or leave enemies so wounded that the mop-up is easy.

I figured out Insulate was good in that fight without need for a guide!  It was one of the rare fights that caused me some serious trouble in the first ~4 rounds, until I remembered that skill existed!  Just bragging, carry on. 

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 02, 2016, 08:11:04 PM »

Oh so it's Paranormal Activity: the game? Pass.

Nah. The game is actually pretty active. Things happen pretty frequently.

The actual jump, I believe, is because you start with a hallway and reach a locked door, turn around, there's another door behind you, and you turn back around and the formerly locked door suddenly pulls away from you to recreate the hallway or something along those lines. Unfortunately it appears my stream was not saved. =(