Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 94248 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #475 on: February 23, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »
Eh, CK, the problem with what you're saying is, if the folks in the past kicked the can, as you put it, then just how arrogant are you to think you'll do better.  Especially in this circumstance where your previous incarnations, who were presumably just as badass, got their asses kicked by the flunky with a fraction of their boss' power when they stopped being useful puppets.  And you know this as well, because Ringabell remembers seeing it.  So, even leaving beside the philosophic problem of 'if it was sealed in the past, then explain why this time killing it is an option', they actually cover that it was sealed in the past, and present some notable reasons for why not sealing it again this time is suicidal.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »
Also I was going to note that like if the plan is to leave a message for 10000 years in the future well like that literally is the plot of the entire game.  Agnes leaving a warning 10000 years in the past.  So I think we can say that yeah it worked?  Didn't go perfectly, but ultimately it DID work yeah?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 24, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »
Fe: fates

I want to rub some units down! Why was this removed!

I also tried to invade Gates castle, but the Internet stepped in and denied the rape/pillage-fest.

Also, corrin looks gawd awful.

Hinata is cool.

Characters are bland so far.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 25, 2016, 12:37:38 AM »
Legend of Legacy: I beat the first part of the last boss, but by then Owen had so few max HPs that he couldn't possibly handle the spam of the last battle.

I'm going to go wreck some dragons and find a few stances and then comeback. Right now my special stances are Delay, Ambush, and that's it.

I chose Owen as a main character, and his few lines have all been about how he is going to completely roll over the enemies. (Or some BURN THE HERETICS stuff) He acts as he's some hot shit 24/7 even though I distinctly remember him at earlygame with like 70 HPs and crappy weapons.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 25, 2016, 02:10:26 AM »
FE Fates Conquest: I dunno what people are talking about when they say only Lunatic has pre-rolled stat-ups.  Battle saves on Hard don't seem to let you optimize level-ups there either.  Which is fine!  I've been firmly in favor of "roll all level-ups at game start" ages ago to both preserve randomness and also stop manipulation, I'm shocked someone at IntSys actually did it.

Speaking of which...   you don't get XP from DLC battles on Conquest?!  But...  but...  I paid2win!  Paid 0 dollars so far, sure, but still.  At least I can pay for Birthright now and get glorious Boots as a reward.  That's something, I guess.  (okay for srs, I see why they did this...  they'd get accused of balancing too difficult for non-DLC players if they "priced in" XP gain from DLC on Conquest, so it's actually a pretty good call.)

The plot of the first 5 chapters works very hard to make Birthright path a "plausible" option, which is fine, but it makes the way they run Conquest path wacky.  The main character has extremely good reason to think that Garon tried to have him/her killed!  I'm fine with staying in Nohr, but you should be on the lam, refusing to return to the capital.  Placing yourself at the mercy of Garon is weird, agreeing to be his errand boy is even worse.  They should have had there be a lot more doubt about whether Garon was really behind the killing attempt(s), and not given Corrin back his memory, if they want Corrin working for him being a plausible path.

Also, just to throw this out now.  Either the game is cloaking itself in pretend genre stupidity on one particular plot point, or it actually IS really stupid.  I'm hoping it's the first, fearing the second.  So...  the game would have Our Hero believe that Garon made 2 attempts on his life: once from pardoned convict dude, the other from invisible invaders shooting his own sword at him & the Hoshidan empress.  But...  these are mutually exclusive plots.  If convict dude succeeds, you've just tanked your super-sword into the abyss you were planning to smuggle into Hoshido.  I'm HOPING that Garon was 'merely' behind the convict dude's attempt - since he outright said it was Garon's orders - and some other shadowy force did the 2nd incident, since Garon says "I have no idea what you're talking about" when accused of being complicit in the 2nd.  But I fully expect it'll be HAHA I AM EVIL MASTERMIND I PLANNED ON SURPIZE DRAGON RESCUE TO ALTERNATE DIMENSION FOLLOWED BY YOUR CAPTURE or some crap.  The game already has the Hoshidans whining about the "unprovoked attack" when you move on the fort...  uh, we've apparently been at war for years.  We've provoked you already and have POWs lying around.  This doesn't fill me with confidence.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 25, 2016, 02:53:25 AM »
FE14 Conquest: Up to Chapter 8.  Playing it slowly because work and such gets in the way and when I get back, for some reason not quite in the mood to battle RNG gods.

...this isn't a knock on the game at all, to be clear, just highlighting why I'm not farther despite liking it.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2016, 05:10:43 AM »
Fire Emblem: Birthright - In Chapter 18 right now. I'm enjoying the game a lot, the gameplay/music/art/graphics are all great. In fact, I think it might be my favorite FE for gameplay in the series? Plot is pretty paint-by-numbers in the way that a lot of the other plots in the series are, but it's skippable and doesn't get in the way which is fine with me.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
Yeah but should I get it Ciatos?  Can I turn off durability and rando stats?  Is it good or is it still bad like other things that bring joy to elves?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 25, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
I don't think you should take the risk anyway, Grefbro. The Ciato might trickses you.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 25, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 25, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »
Why did someone devote a whole website to Super making weird noises?

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 25, 2016, 12:51:39 PM »
Durability doesn't exist, randostats do, but there is ez mode so it shouldn't really matter

the choice is yours, my captain
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 25, 2016, 05:26:04 PM »
Grefter, if you are not in for the elfstats, are you in for the animes?

Okay I want to talk about the best feature of Legend of Legacy.

The game has an obligatory insufferable mascot that is cute and says cute things and appears in loading screens looking cute and gives you items and saves your game.

Just look at this jerk.

God damn it.

Well at one point in the game, a dark vortex appears below it, it panicks the hell out and give you a plot item before disappearing into the void.
After that, it stops appearing in the game proper. It appears in loading screens, but it's just lying on the floor looking dead instead of being its usual cheerful self.
As far as I know , it's just dead. They killed Pikachu.
Y A Y

They went a bit further with the same idea in another game I've played recently that you know about :

Bravely Default: Fucking Fairy

So is that a new thing? Fuck mascots?
I approve.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:34:15 PM by Fenrir »

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 25, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »
I played 3 hours of Legend of Legacy before dropping it faster than the soap in the shower.  Worst RPG since The Last Rebellion.

But that might completely salvage the game.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #489 on: February 26, 2016, 12:29:15 AM »
I wonder if you mean "The Last Remnant", aka the game that this very same SaGa team worked on before Legend of Legacy?

If that's the case, it might just be you hate SaGa team. Not that that's shocking. SaGa is definitely not for everyone.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 26, 2016, 12:47:16 AM »
Last Remnant is 40% SaGa and it mostly from the idiotic Battle Rank system.  The rest of the game isn't that bad.  At least it has a story and characters.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 26, 2016, 12:52:47 AM »
Yeah Last Rebellion is some PS3 game that even I didn't touch.

4 out of 6 characters have a stupid smirk
Good job

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 26, 2016, 12:58:23 AM »
Ephraim, talk to us about it
Enlighten us

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #493 on: February 26, 2016, 02:08:53 AM »
Oh wow, you really did mean that travesty. Yeah, that's the game by some company called Hit Maker, who somehow managed to make an agreement to get their games published by Nippon Ichi, but all of their games were so awful, Nippon Ichi was like "Wow, sorry, no, we're putting this contract 'on hiatus' until your games 'reach an acceptable level of quality'...

I think there's about 4 of these games in existence, and they are all 'meh' to 'WTF' in quality.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 26, 2016, 02:13:04 AM »
Fenrir: I count five. But at least one of them has a captain's hat, so it's not that bad.

Okay, time to gush a bit.

Fire Emblem Fates - Playing Conquest route, up to chapter 16, Hard Classic.

Wow, this game's gameplay is ridiculously good so far. Awakening is a fine game, and I have always rolled my eyes at the more extreme hate it gets (not here, mostly), but its gameplay had some big flaws which needed fixing. They are, by and large, fixed. Some of these are fixes to other weaknesses which go much further back. To ennumerate them:

-Pair Up was overpowered as hell. It's not gone, but has evolved into something far more interesting and less random. You can still use pair up, and it still boosts stats (though the stat/10 nonsense is gone, I notice), but it's a defensive option by and large, as paired up characters can not use support-attacks (even with other adjacent characters) nor do they get a the adjacency hit boost. However, to make up for this, you are also invulnerable to enemy support-attacks, and can dual guard... except dual guard is now completely non-random and based on a visible gauge which fills up. Meanwhile, support-attacks are 100% for half damage. The enemies make use of both mechanics. Less random, more strategic.
-Ninja reinforcements are gone. Ding dong, the witch is dead. Can't stress enough how much more enjoyable this makes FE for me. There's no fog or anything either, and the one map I've fought with cleverly changing terrain has the changes happen at the start of your turn.
-Map design is back with a vengeance, and is great. The game does a great job of enemy placement and wakeup ranges to be intereseting there, but more significant is the varied map objectives. And there's dragon vein, which allows for various map-specific commands. And just a great job has been done of making every fight from chapter 8 as individually memorable.
-Enemies have skills, but they're not random, and generally used thoughtfully. Some of them can be really nasty, but the nastiest ones are used sparingly (Counter Archers, Lunge chains).
-Debuffs (1-turn don't move, various ways to lower stats which recover at 1/turn such as shuriken weapons and some skills) are an interesting addition. One of their most desirable effects is that they can wreck a single PC as a long-term tanking unit (and of course you can turn them on enemies in the same way).
-The game uses an exp formula is far more curved, which makes lowmanning less effective, ensures that you will be at roughly the level the game expects, and can even encourage you to rotate PCs between fights for effectiveness (not that I do the latter much, supports still a thing).
-Rescue is back! As a cavalier skill, granted, but its value was missed (and to make up for it being limited, it's of course better, since you get a stat boost rather than a stat penalty for "carrying someone"). There are also two other positioning skills in Shove and Lunge (though I don't have anyone with Shove), the latter letting you swap positions with an enemy as part of an attack.
-While it's far from amazing, Fates' enemy AI is by far the best in the series. It will set up support attacks, knows how to use debuffs effectively, knows to attack with a weaker character first to break a dual guard shield, and finally, won't attack at all if they have 0 displayed hit or damage (and can't debuff in the latter case).
-One convenience is that the game highlights enemies who have weakness-hitting weapons with a red exclamation mark, so the chance that you accidentally move into one of those is reduced. (There's a yellow exclamation mark if your paired up character is the one who would eat a weakness-hit, lest you use Switch at a bad time.)

Weapon durability is not especially missed, since the game has balanced weapons in other ways. I don't even care about Conquest removing skirmishes since I ignored them anyway but if you're the type who can't, hey, Conquest will be that much better for you. (Birthright exists if you want them.)

The game is strategic in the best way and combats at this difficulty are a fun and intense experience. I've died badly due overlooking things (lunge, or forgetting that enemies can use support-attacks, or just the more traditional misjudging enemy range). But otherwise, perhaps more than ever, the game makes you feel like you own your own resets, which is great.

Best FE for gameplay? I'll want to finish the game before saying that, but it's at worst second only to Radiant Dawn. Obviously it also keeps all the nice little conveniences which were present in Awakening.

On another note, the writing is pretty weak (better than FE11-12 but lol) but this isn't really surprising. A shame because the plot setup is good, and when the game hews closer to that it does better. Music's good, at least, and while art hasn't reached Tellius levels it is the best since then, I feel.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 26, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »
*Niu sees Fenrir mocks Coco
*Niu has a heart attack

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 26, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
I think there's about 4 of these games in existence, and they are all 'meh' to 'WTF' in quality.

And you haven't let's played them yet because...?

I mean you did play Rondo of Swords.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:48 AM »
*Niu sees Fenrir mocks Coco
*Niu has a heart attack

I know its been known for a long time, but I think this is the point where we finally have to like officially acknowledge it right?
Niu is the RPGDL Mascot.

Fenrir: I count five. But at least one of them has a captain's hat, so it's not that bad.

Okay, time to gush a bit.

You noticed the moeblob foxgirl in the belly shirt thrusting her chest into Captain Smirk's torso and resting her hand on his hip as well?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #498 on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »

And you haven't let's played them yet because...?

I mean you did play Rondo of Swords.

They're grudgingly published by Nippon Ichi, so yeah, I played a good chunk of them. They were awful as advertised. I don't love everything awful, just the interestingly flawed, like SaGa Frontier, and you, my darling. <3

Rondo of Swords is not even that. Rondo of Swords is a good game marred by the inability to teach the player how to play it. Once you know how to play it, it's all Flashy Skills, genuinely good strategic gameplay, and Laser Popes.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 26, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
I'm sorry, didn't you understand that by playing them you are obligated to document them in excruciatingly minute detail for the rest of us so we don't have to play them? For free?

You'll never become internet famous this way.