Author Topic: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.  (Read 23588 times)

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2015, 11:09:31 PM »
I miss you guys.

Also I wake up to the sound of porcelain this morning. I go and see my cats have destroyed something.  So as im walking to see what it is they broke, I step in something squishy.

And then the smell hit me.

One had left a nice pile of shit on the rug. The whole gob of poo is literally sticking to my foot.

They both creep around the corner, fistbump each other and scamper off.

I've been set up!

If your boxes are clean, get them to the vet. Cats almost never shit in the open unless there's a problem.

Cats will shit and piss in places they know you'll hate if they're upset with you. So if anything has changed at home, even the smallest of things, they might just hate you and want you to suffer. If there's been no changes then hell yeah go see a vet they might be shitting from pain.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2015, 02:39:34 AM »
I miss you guys.

Also I wake up to the sound of porcelain this morning. I go and see my cats have destroyed something.  So as im walking to see what it is they broke, I step in something squishy.

And then the smell hit me.

One had left a nice pile of shit on the rug. The whole gob of poo is literally sticking to my foot.

They both creep around the corner, fistbump each other and scamper off.

I've been set up!

If your boxes are clean, get them to the vet. Cats almost never shit in the open unless there's a problem.

Cats will shit and piss in places they know you'll hate if they're upset with you. So if anything has changed at home, even the smallest of things, they might just hate you and want you to suffer. If there's been no changes then hell yeah go see a vet they might be shitting from pain.

This basically. I'd err on taking them to the vet anyway personally, since if they were mad or upset they'd usually find something that is symbolically yours, like your clothes or a work bag, and ruin that. Shitting in the middle of the floor sounds like an issue for the vet.

---

Thanks for the concern people. After this weekend I've settled on cautious optimism since we don't even know how early it was caught, survival chances, etc., and wont know until after the biopsy and perhaps after surgery. The not knowing is the worst part, really. But in light of not knowing anything me and the rest of the family are trying to just keep keepin on until we know more.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2015, 03:21:06 AM »
Final Fantasy Like The Deserts Miss The Autobattle - New dungeon update, boys and girls! Seemingly, we'll have Vivi and Refia Memory Crystals this time around. Basically, for all you people who missed Vivi's MC all the way back in May, now you get to unlock his RMs.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2015, 03:23:50 AM »
This is no longer a game. FFRK is now Snow's life.

Thanks for the concern people. After this weekend I've settled on cautious optimism since we don't even know how early it was caught, survival chances, etc., and wont know until after the biopsy and perhaps after surgery. The not knowing is the worst part, really. But in light of not knowing anything me and the rest of the family are trying to just keep keepin on until we know more.
I've been there with a parent having cancer, and the initial uncertainty fucking sucks because no one knows what to do or they can do about it. If you want to talk it over, feel free to send a PM.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:26:53 AM by The Duck »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2015, 03:37:18 AM »
This is no longer a game. FFRK is now Snow's life.

I posted here by accident, but considering I'm on vacation and the only trip I took is already over, this isn't far from the truth enough for me to change posts.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
CONTAINMENT WORKS

This is a shitty reddit joke that I doubt anyone else gives a fuck about/knows but it has to be made

Edit - Also no one is lamenting the real tragedy here.

Super fixed his breaks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:33:34 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2015, 10:27:24 AM »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 15, 2015, 03:33:16 AM »
CONTAINMENT WORKS

This is a shitty reddit joke that I doubt anyone else gives a fuck about/knows but it has to be made

I feel slightly validated.

(Also, my condolences and best regards to Zenny. Hopefully things work out for your dad and your family, man.)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2015, 03:13:37 PM »
So like I haven't had the energy to work out since getting the news about my dad and I can already feel my muscle gains deteriorating. This is the greatest tragedy about the whole thing. Ha ha ha ha ha. ha. Ha.

Bad news, we won't really know anything re: chances and stages and dice rolls except real life until Saturday US time. Good news, the surgeon seemed optimistic and thought he may be able to get it all in one go. I am clinging onto this news like a motherfucker.

I can see how people can lose themselves in their work. The best parts of my day have become teaching classes, even when it fucking sucks and everything goes wrong, because at least I'm focusing on anything else.

I let him read one of my short stories I wrote back in college the other day while drunk. I've never let anyone read them. Too personal, too much of myself invested in it. I would have been remiss if he hadn't gotten the chance to read one before he died.

Burning Man Japan starts in two days. I leave tomorrow. Was, and I guess still am really looking forward to this. I have a feeling I'm going to fucking wind up in some drunken hippy prayer circle crying like a bitch around strangers. Maybe it will be good for me.

Y'know honestly I thought I'd end up taking this out on you stupid assholes in IRC by screaming about things that didn't matter like I usually do when I'm in a bad mood. The fact that I'm not is the weirdest thing about this.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
Growing up does weird things to us.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2015, 09:48:58 PM »
Zenny is a show-er not a grower.  Different circumstances, different responses.

Work is a good coping mechanism sometimes.  It lets you be normal and forces you to be social in most jobs.

Enjoy Burning Mang.  Cry like and moan all you want.  It just better be my name on your lips if it isn't gonna be anything else.

PsySlaver

• Denizen
  • Still the best Valkyrie
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »
Hey Zenny. Our family had a cancer situation this year and thankfully everything worked out fine. Hoping everything gets sorted out over there too.

Stay well.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2015, 05:15:41 AM »
So since I finished graduate school I had been mostly poking around in the non-existent job market here (especially non-existent after the oil crash). I signed up to work for a tutoring company in April and it's generally been pretty shitty, with a boss who is utterly incompetent and completely disregards any sort of basic sensibility. First, I was hired and immediately not scheduled for three weeks, even though I was told he had 12 hours a week of work for me (I have never worked 12 hours in my entire time there). When I go to work I never know exactly when I will be working. For example, he sprang on me yesterday that he was tacking an extra hour onto my work, which I hadn't planned for. Great. Work has also been really inconsistent, and sometimes I will be called in to work for one hour! It cost me like half my pay to bus there and back. And he loves to blame things that are his fault on me, like letting students go on too long when I wasn't told how long students are scheduled for. The job is also about an hour of transit away. After my graduate school experience being godawful, I was starting to feel my faith in humanity, and specifically bosses, was pretty much into the negatives.

With that in mind, I decided to look for a job that would not directly conflict with the job I had, because I want the reference from the tutoring center for my teaching application even though it is pretty bad, so I applied to some retail stuff to mostly work mornings. After a few months I ended up getting hired at a Starbucks as primarily a morning worker. I really didn't know what to expect, but it's been so great so far. My boss is really nice and accommodating (and is even a geek girl), and all of my coworkers are super chill and friendly. It's largely situated in a neighborhood filled with old people, who are largely nice and enjoy interacting with young people. Also... so much free coffee.

I have been balancing the multiple jobs pretty well, although the days I work at both jobs can be pretty difficult. But yesterday, at my tutoring job, I was confronted by my boss, who said a parent had called and complained that his daughter didn't get all the answers right on her homework and that he wasn't impressed. Of course, at the tutoring center I have three students at once for an hour or so, so you allocate relatively smaller amounts of time to every student, so you can't really thoroughly check everyone's homework, and that essentially my job is to outline how to get to the right answer, not to do a student's homework. Which of course my boss is aware of. The format just doesn't work that well for a student who needs a lots of attention.

At this point I start to wonder if the job is really worth it, especially since I have a second job to fall back on. The extra income is obviously really nice, but the commute is really long and the job isn't very enjoyable (and doesn't pay so well that I would feel horrible quitting).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:28:00 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2015, 05:40:40 AM »
I'd just settle for what you feel is best for your overall well-being. I honestly can't imagine you staying very long on that tutoring job if the conditions are that abysmal.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2015, 06:23:40 AM »
At this point I start to wonder if the job is really worth it, especially since I have a second job to fall back on. The extra income is obviously really nice, but the commute is really long and the job isn't very enjoyable (and doesn't pay so well that I would feel horrible quitting).

Unless you have a really strong economic incentive to stay, leave.  Take it from someone who knows a little something about horrible bosses: it's not worth the brain damage.  It took me a long while after my last job to unpack the stress and negativity of it.  Even though it was clear as day to me while I was there that it was a bad situation, it took not being in it anymore to fully appreciate how bad it was for me.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2015, 07:53:12 AM »
Have you finished Lord of the Potters or whatever that fantasy crap you nerds like reading is called?  Bus time = book time yo

also what jim said

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2015, 03:57:18 PM »
So since I finished graduate school I had been mostly poking around in the non-existent job market here (especially non-existent after the oil crash). I signed up to work for a tutoring company in April and it's generally been pretty shitty, with a boss who is utterly incompetent and completely disregards any sort of basic sensibility. First, I was hired and immediately not scheduled for three weeks, even though I was told he had 12 hours a week of work for me (I have never worked 12 hours in my entire time there). When I go to work I never know exactly when I will be working. For example, he sprang on me yesterday that he was tacking an extra hour onto my work, which I hadn't planned for. Great. Work has also been really inconsistent, and sometimes I will be called in to work for one hour! It cost me like half my pay to bus there and back. And he loves to blame things that are his fault on me, like letting students go on too long when I wasn't told how long students are scheduled for. The job is also about an hour of transit away. After my graduate school experience being godawful, I was starting to feel my faith in humanity, and specifically bosses, was pretty much into the negatives.

With that in mind, I decided to look for a job that would not directly conflict with the job I had, because I want the reference from the tutoring center for my teaching application even though it is pretty bad, so I applied to some retail stuff to mostly work mornings. After a few months I ended up getting hired at a Starbucks as primarily a morning worker. I really didn't know what to expect, but it's been so great so far. My boss is really nice and accommodating (and is even a geek girl), and all of my coworkers are super chill and friendly. It's largely situated in a neighborhood filled with old people, who are largely nice and enjoy interacting with young people. Also... so much free coffee.

I have been balancing the multiple jobs pretty well, although the days I work at both jobs can be pretty difficult. But yesterday, at my tutoring job, I was confronted by my boss, who said a parent had called and complained that his daughter didn't get all the answers right on her homework and that he wasn't impressed. Of course, at the tutoring center I have three students at once for an hour or so, so you allocate relatively smaller amounts of time to every student, so you can't really thoroughly check everyone's homework, and that essentially my job is to outline how to get to the right answer, not to do a student's homework. Which of course my boss is aware of. The format just doesn't work that well for a student who needs a lots of attention.

Quit. Quit now. Unless it is financially impractical for you to do so, please quit. The benefits to your resume for staying in a toxic environment do not outweigh the benefits, particularly if you are only getting a few hours a week.

---

Got good news before Burning Japan, no metastasis and the surgeon thinks he can get it all in one. Surgery is happening as this post goes up. Hoping everything goes well and I'm not too hungover at work tomorrow.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2015, 04:47:10 PM »

thank you for making me feel better about not doing grad school
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »

thank you for making me feel better about not doing grad school
:(

I'm actually enjoying grad school but probably won't enjoy the job market afterwards.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »
I would generally not recommend it to anyone unless they genuinely love the subject (of course, I thought I did until I did graduate school). Of course, one of the limiting factors for me in terms of job hunting is that I'm not really interested in moving and I know if I moved things would be much better.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »
Quit now.  Life's too short to work at a job you detest.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
Got good news before Burning Japan, no metastasis and the surgeon thinks he can get it all in one. Surgery is happening as this post goes up. Hoping everything goes well and I'm not too hungover at work tomorrow.

Glad to hear it.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2015, 08:52:45 PM »
Definitely! Sending my best wishes to your dad and your family.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2015, 08:56:46 PM »
I have recently moved into a new apartment and am finally living on my own.  Turning a 1 hour commute into 10-15 minutes a day makes a huge difference in, well, everything.  On top of just adding that much more time to the day, the effects it has on me psychologically cannot be emphasized enough.  Knowing I only have to drive 15 minutes to get home instead of an hour?  Well suddenly working later an extra hour doesn't seem so bad, nor do I have worry about beating traffic since it's mostly local roads home.

So yeah, life is looking good at the moment!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2015, 12:21:14 AM »

That's good news, Zenny. Hope everything goes well with your dad as well.