Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49746 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #1075 on: November 27, 2017, 02:03:18 PM »
I had a lot of fun with it!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 27, 2017, 08:47:01 PM »
Niu enters the topic, and Niu is surprised.

Why is there a discussion of Eien no Filena here?
No, I mean how did DL found up of this game? Or have I underestimated DL's lesbian lust?

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1077 on: November 27, 2017, 09:00:09 PM »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1078 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »
It's beautiful...!  :'(

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:20 PM »
WGAYP post from DJinn, expect it to be a post about Battle Chef Brigade.  It is not.  Disappoint.  I will just have to play it and post about it instead I guess.

Fire Emblem Warriors - I still play this every now and then.  It is good but I could really go for some of that DLC hitting soon because the map grinding is a bit slow.  I need something to really let me push someone into the mid 70s or so because holy fuck that Anna map is brutal.

Path of Exile - Did the recent race, got something to 40.  35 guaranteed free microtransaction loot box, 40 gave you a chance for some dumb cosmetics I will never use.  Enjoyed it, will play next season I think.  MIght try mapping in end game in the new patch that hits next week.

THat's about all I have done in a while though.  Some mild poking into Watch_Dogs 2 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate.  Some Baldur's Gate.  Same starting replay of Pillars of Eternity, but not much for more than a single play session.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1080 on: December 01, 2017, 04:18:03 AM »
I don't have access to a Switch at the moment, Shun has it at his family's house. So no Battle Chef Brigade for me. Yet.

I am going to play the shit out of it soon.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 04, 2017, 11:27:02 PM »
Dark Souls 3: beat for reals this time.  Here's the summary of a conversation on chat:
<Me> Oh I can't beat Darkeater Midir.  3hrd5me.
<Cid> Here let me casually drop this video I have of me beating that boss without getting hit.
<Me> Oh.  Yeah uh.  That sure looks like it would work.
*Me beats Darkeater Midir in, like, 5 or 6 tries from then.

Didn't do it exactly the way Cid did - I relied on this strange Souls technique called "blocking" which is a way to cheat past moves without having to dodge them.  It's really amazing!  This "blocking" thing.  The moral of the story is that Cid is a better resource for DS3 advice than the internet.

Dark Souls 3 I liked a lot in the end.  It's not revolutionary like Bloodborne.  It didn't keep me up at night wondering about its implications.  What it DID do was give me a solid slug of the most polished, highest-quality Souls gameplay you could want.  It was very pretty.  Its bosses were solid at worst and spectacular at best.  Its stage design was exemplary.  Did I mention it was pretty?  The DLC has a few run-ins with the dragon boss I mentioned before you actually fight it, and it rorrs and blasts you with gouts of smoky flame and it looks *awesome*.

Its sidequests were annoying.  Like exotic plants you foolishly bought despite living in colder climes, they die to the merest brush.  Sometimes they die without you even touching them.  Frail things.  Also some older dude put 5 dark marks on my body that would never heal - without my consent!  And then his sexy protege or whatever tried to hook me up with this dude(?) It was kinda skeevy.  Lapp's questline in the DLC, though?  Perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  A finer send-off for the series I could not imagine.

To come back to the plot...I think Dark Souls kinda poisoned the well for its sequels because it starts with the premise that baaaaaaasically nothing that has happened for the whole of human history has any lasting impact.  So the strivings of Man that are on display here feel muted.  DS1 this doesn't matter much because the game's plot is, at its core, an archeological adventure in which you discover the fates of the gods, and gain some understanding of how the world came to exist in its disjointed state.  SOME of it has impact, but not a lot.  The Consumed King is great, and surveying item descriptions for details relating to his reign is a rewarding endeavor.  Lothric, too.  His history not quite as interesting but punctuated by a superb, and superbly creepy, boss fight.

I haven't yet given DS3 lore a deep dive.  Perhaps my feelings on it will change when I do.  But the sprawling, unfocused nature of the world, plus the fact that most of the really big stuff we already understand (to an acceptable degree, anyway) makes it fall short of the impact of DS1 or Bloodborne.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 05, 2017, 01:08:47 AM »
Lapp's questline in the DLC, though?  Perfect.  Absolutely perfect.  A finer send-off for the series I could not imagine.

I think this might actually be the highlight of the game. Most cutscenes I skip on a replay. But *spoilers's* farewell, I watch that every time.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »
Now I'm trying to remember other cutscenes.  I guess the game must have had them, but Lothric and Lorian is the only one that comes to mind.  And that one's awesome.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 11, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Nier Automata: Play prologue -> ignore game for nine months -> it's a healthy baby boy!

See, this is the kind of thing I do avoid spoilers for.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 11, 2017, 05:48:14 PM »
And here you thought the cheekiest achievement would involve looking at 2B's butt

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 11, 2017, 08:52:46 PM »
What. Is this really a thing.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:26 PM »

Hospital Ship Simulator 2035 X-COM2
Started playing this.  Was worried that the game would be too easy by reputation, and...  hmm.  Turned out harder than expected, but not for the reason I would have thought.  If you go in with your "best" team, the game is fair enough.  But the D&D-esque HP inflation means there's a much starker difference between Rookies and Vets than in the 2012 X-COM, and certainly vs. the original 1994 X-COM.  And you can't always deploy your best team, because they are healing from the horrible injuries they sustained last mission.  And while I suppose it is REALISTIC that your soldiers have to take long timeouts after getting blasted by plasma cannons, this can mean big problems in just plain having enough troops to deploy.  I pretty much always get a "Troop understrength" warning after every mission.  I'm currently slightly stuck because I have a retaliation mission to handle, I'm very low on supplies due to constantly having to feed Rookies into the meat grinder (oh how I wish I hadn't wasted Supplies on stuff like longer drop timers or an extra scientist when now I don't have enough to buy better armor for my squad), and 2 vets + 3 rookies are not really handling Mutons with tanky officer & thin man/snake backup.  Stun Lancers feel like a particular issue for rookies; they just run straight at them and murder them.  (But if their damage was less, they couldn't even pretend to threaten vets?!  Moral: nerf their damage but give less HP on promotions.)  Maybe I should just reload the Geoscape and ignore the mission while waiting for my teammates to feel better?  Ugh.

Random comments stuff:
* Why is everyone Spider-Man?  Climbing buildings ain't no thing in the future.  You don't even need the spider-suit, vertical movement, especially vertical movement up, seems way too cheap in this game.  You'd think that being on the third floor of a building would offer some modicum of safety, or at least warning, but nothing like Stun Lancers cheerfully running from far off up pipes/ladders to zap your snipers up there.  Then a MEC tossing a grenade that blows up the roof and sends everyone plummeting to their deaths on the first floor from fall damage.  (It'd be sorta okay if only PCs could do this, or if soldiers on Overwatch automatically got a crit on enemies trying to scale ladders near them.)
* Mind control is still really brutal.  It's okay if only a Rookie bites it (Serra murdered Priscilla in a fit of jealousy over her being the better healer, I can only presume), but (in events I reloaded) I've totally had a vet wipe out two other vets while mind controlled.  That kind of roll going badly seems really centralizing on an Ironman run or something.
* I like how Canadian Amelia got a single kill, then died from a Stun Lancer running straight at her.  Very much honors how training up recruits works in FE8.
* I love the trolling in the metaplot.  "That first time you played X-COM, got stuck, and restarted?  That was the real campaign.  The next 6 times you played X-COM?  That was you controlling the ALIEN side while thinking you were controlling humans."  A good way to make the Commander seem like a badass for authentic reasons rather than "everyone loves you just 'cuz" too.

The current roster of the Fallen (Ignore Peter & Ana, the prologue mission forced deaths, and Charlie was a rando dude as a mission reward).  I think it's missing two people who didn't get saved properly due to the Internet being out at the time, but I forget who.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 12, 2017, 01:37:35 AM »

23.0% of people who played it on ps4 could tell you the answer to that question.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:41:46 AM by NotMiki »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:58 AM »

Yes.  But hey you can buy it if you don’t want to try and force it but want the Platinum.

Is that base game Snowfire?   WotC adds in a fatigue mechanic as well where troops Will drains over successive missions.  They really push rotating your team in 2.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:27 AM »
XCOM2 base.  Oh, the troops rotate alright.  They rotate from 1 mission directly into a hospital bed to sit out the next 2 missions or so.  (And I've got a troop who's Shaken, so that mechanic sorta exists in base too...  I think that happens if you get wounded repeatedly too often.  Look, girl, it was a freak long-range crit when you were on a roof under cover.   I dunno what to say other than you've got bad luck.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:46:30 AM by SnowFire »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:33 AM »
Shaken is more due to harm and stress in the mission, expansion just has straight up participating in combat being fatiguing.   But yeah it is an expansion of the same system.

Base game it is taking damage or team mates taking damage/dying that triggers it.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 12, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
Hollow Knight - replaying this because Gate playing it inspired me and because it is awesommmmm.  Platforming and combat is as tight as I remembered, and both provide impressive challenges in the lategame.  The sheer number of routes you could conceivably take through the game is honsetly kinda staggering.  There are ways into and out of zones that imply an order of picking up movement upgrades that is technically possible but so far away from what you yourself have done that it's honestly kinda crazy.  (Just one example for those who have played it - you can get to Resting Grounds for the first time using the Tram Pass instead of falling into it from Crystal Peak.  Raise your hand if that's how you did it.  Put your hand down, you liar.)

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 12, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »

Yes.  But hey you can buy it if you don’t want to try and force it but want the Platinum.

Knowing me, it'll happen anyway.

Nier/A: Another day, another boss where I have no idea what is even happening on my screen right now, jesus. Hacking too much time! I just mash a lot of buttons and item spam and this seems to get me through so far, but sooner or later I should probably figure out how equipment upgrades. Also how did that boss theme die round in the music tourney, seriously.

I met an inventor robot who asked for all my money for unspecified future rewards. Gambled 10k gold to find out How Yoko Taro Is This? And the answer is Yes.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 12, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
You will be happy to know that that boss has by far the worst camera of the lot

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: December 13, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »
Nier Automata: Of course Eve is a shirtless bishy, because Yoko Taro.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1096 on: December 14, 2017, 05:06:37 AM »
What an odd thing to say...

It's not like Yoko Taro is known for ever having a shirtless bishy before.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 14, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 14, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
Nier Automata: Of course Eve is a shirtless bishy, because Yoko Taro.
This is actually tame compare to brother Nier's shota prostitution.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 15, 2017, 02:05:06 AM »
Xenoblade 2

All the good guys are designed by a hentai artist featuring a "Furby that talks like Jar Jar Binks with a sex slave robot" and most of them have British/Scottish/Welsh/Australian accents.  All the bad guys are designed by Tetsuya Nomura, looking like rejects from a Kingdom Hearts game and all of them have American accents.  Feels like two very different asethtic directions were going on at the same time and they don't clash very well in cutscenes.

Also I bet the pope is the final boss, AGAIN.