Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49891 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #1025 on: November 09, 2017, 05:37:12 AM »
Oh hey, I can answer this! I actually have students that like Undertale.

Apparently the game developed an underground Japanese fanbase loooong before a translation was planned. The Japanese online community noticed all the weird Western fanart and videos and music and got intrigued.

Of course, Undertale's whole premise is Anime As Fuck(TM), so the transition to Japanese is incredibly easy for the most part. The jokes don't translate exactly one-to-one, but Japanese puns make for decent substitutes. Oddly, the most contentious parts of the official translation come from the more serious parts of the game, where there's still unanswered questions here in its home country, and the translators might have missed some key details that might inform the mystery, or added misleading information in the transition. Stuff like how Sans refers to himself apparently was a big deal, but translating wordplay was no problem. *shrug* Frisk/Chara's gender was apparently decided to be female in the translation, too (despite Japanese being a much easier language to obscure gender!). Stuff like that.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 09, 2017, 03:56:28 PM »
Toby Fox was apparently intimately involved in the translation-to-Japanese process, fwiw.  He posted a while back that the item descriptions that were abbreviated in English wouldn't be in Japanese because that wasn't a thing Japanese RPGs did since they needed fewer characters.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
Danganronpa V3: I finished this, this is the best game in the series and I ended up mega addicted but I still wanted to punch the writers half the time.
The ending has a plot twist to end all plot twists, showing even less respect for the other titles in the series than, say, Star ocean 3 or Chrono Cross. Mad respect for this.

There is a weiiiiird RPG / board game mode unlocked after beating the game which must have taken me like 30 hours. 100 floors with difficulty ramping up considerably in the last 40 or so. I enjoyed it. There’s a boss that can only be beaten by POIZN.

Sundered: What has been said by El Cid isn’t wrong. I am playing on hard and it feels frankly almost impossible, I’m currently stuck against a very basic, pseudo invisible miniboss and have instead chosen to wander into a murderous area with purple fountains and terrifying looking basic mobs.
I am having a different approach with this game, just accepting deaths and careying on. Exp beingg kept upon death helps.
It’s hard to play well when 60 enemies are on screen at a time, and I could see it being frustrating, but being overwhelmed like this is on par with the lore.

Wonderboy the dragon’s trap: I didn’t expect this remake to outright use the same exact code. You can press a button and the game graphics revert to the original’s immediately. It’s frankly magical. Wonderboy controls are slippery and archaic, I still enjoyed my time thanks to the world building and graphics.

Wuppo: Is absolutely delightful so far, with just the right tone. I am craving those film reels that show lore videos on shmekels and others.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:14:17 AM by Fenrir »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1028 on: November 11, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
Pokemon Sun:

Hey, I finally finished this. Just in time for the new one to come out!

I'm actually quite impressed with its story. Surprising. Like, Pokemon doesn't even NEED a story, but I guess it's nice that after 20 years they finally figured out basic narrative rules. The story isn't particularly deep, but it has a beginning, middle, and end, and there's some emotional investment surrounding Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine. The side characters all have at least one personality trait, too! Which is a LOT more than previous Pokemon characters! So... progress!

Z-Moves are really cheesy and I love them so much. Pokemon figuring out Limit Breaks are a thing in most RPGs after 20 years is nice.

Overall, it's probably the best Pokemon game so far? I know it's easy to say that about every new Pokemon game that comes out, but that's probably a good sign. Means Game Freak is actually improving steadily.

In another ten years, it may even have a -Good- story~

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 11, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »
Pokémon ever having plot that isn't completely nonsensical

[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1030 on: November 12, 2017, 05:23:53 AM »
Hey... it surprised me as much as anyone!

They even allowed Red to age beyond 12 years old or whatever. Continuity! In a Pokemon game! Who would've imagined?!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 12, 2017, 05:30:38 AM »
Djinn, question.

In Japanese Undertale, how did they handle the hidden content that involves manipulating hidden values that's only possible on PC, like the Gester related stuff and those hidden NPCs.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1032 on: November 12, 2017, 05:40:45 AM »
I dunno, I haven't dug into the code for Undertale in English OR Japanese. And I doubt the 13-year-old Japanese students who like to talk about it will have done that either...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1033 on: November 13, 2017, 02:14:42 AM »
Night in the Woods-  Fin.

Hm.  Y'know... I'm not sure how to process this as a game.  I may need to just go through personal reactions for a bit?

I live here.  Okay so this is probably Pennsylvania, since it's mines?  So we don't have spooky caves here.  But swap out the major industry for automotive parts plants and yeah.  This is very much where I live.  There's a main street, half the stores are empty.  Giant empty parking lots, the cracks showing, grass coming back in, never to be filled again.  Those that can leave do, those that can't...

Not sure if Mae or Bae.  Both oscillate wildly between "It Me" and "Girl what are you doing stop that".  Like a LOT of Mae's casual discussion of the inevitable doom of all things and parsing out upsides thereof is very It Me.  But oh my god her capacity to not catch when to drop it or subtext is hard to sit through sometimes.
Bae's not quite as strong an association, but crushing obligation man.  Crushing.  But I also have trouble being that callous to people, even if I'm mad at them I think?

Yeah I dunno.  It's unusual for me to identify so strongly with a set of characters.  Like sure, likeable and charming and stuff, but I can think of casts I like more or find better written or more compelling.  But for "It Me?"  Yeah.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 13, 2017, 04:37:27 AM »
Trails in the Sky SC- Beat the towers. The Enforcers were mostly sad bunches (Luciola was especially trashy, having your 5HKO at best damage be MT is not a trick). The game's writers also just seemed to acknowledge that Kloe's princess hair makes no sense.
...into the nightfall.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:55 AM »
Okay so this is probably Pennsylvania, since it's mines?

It's where two out of the three writers on the game grew up, so yeah probably (for all that the only real location ever specifically named in the game is Hungary of all places).

Glad that you...enjoyed it, from the sound of things?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 13, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
Cid did you finish the videogame within a videogame about that dying badass cat

I was super involved into filling that notebook with Mae’s drawings

Sundered : In the third area

I am destroying all the elder shards, so at least I don’t get the obvious bad ending, and will get some less obvious bad ending instead. The fancy losange is really super pissed at me for this.

The first area is like a lategame JRPG dungeon, the second area is like the final dungeon, and the third area is the postgame impossible one. It is super vicious, but also the perfect representation of the sublime, vertical and grotesque architecture it’s meant to convey? It is completely stunning. Maybe the elevator that turns you into a eyeball is a bit OTT.

Difficulty is a bit easier now but I still die a whole bunch. I made some fatal build mistake at the beginning I corrected pretty fast: I focused on the big nodes and didn’t really care about the little nodes on the way. The problem is that all the melee damage upgrades but one are on little nodes. Everything went much more smoothly super fast once I took a little detour to grab a few strength nodes. (and once I realized you could re-jump in mid-air if you hit an enemy, staying airborne for really long at times)

I think I went with a pretty good build: Past the beginning I completely ignored the gun, health and energy, and focused on damage, shield, luck, and miscellaneous orbs. + crits lategame. The gun is really cool but has too many drawbacks – might make a gun build on a replay.

Now that platforming is king in the third area and bottomless pits are everywhere I am focusing on energy upgrades to keep that air dash rolling.

I really love it when the game goes DING DONG TIME FOR DEATH and I just know resistance is futile and I now have to grab as much treasure as I can before my inevitable next death

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 13, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
Re: NitW minigame, nah, I didn't make it very far. Like two floors in before deciding I was way more in invested in the game's writing than any gameplay that diversions might offer me, so I just ignored Demon's's's's Tower from there on out. I definitely wanted to fill out as much of the sketchbook as possible, but still wound up with some blank pages. I gather you just can't see everything on a single run, since there's a fixed number of Choose Your Own Event days and more iterations of friend + day than you have time for.

Making the eldritch voice pissed at you in Sundered is actually pretty satisfying. You can safely ignore gun for most of the game, but be warned: if you're going pure science, there is one fight where using it will be absolutely required. At the least, pick up the bottom quadrant gun upgrade when it opens, the one that does something stupid like up its damage by 60% or whatever. Pretty sure it's the last science upgrade unlock. You may also want to look into converting everything to shields later on, as I've found that far more viable than relying on health once endgame perks turn up and you have awful awful awful Endless Hordes zones to clear in the cathedral.

Figuring out that hitting an enemy mid-air resets your double jump changes everything about combat. You legitimately can stay airborne indefinitely as long as there's still something else to hit.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »
Sundered : In the third area

I am destroying all the elder shards, so at least I don’t get the obvious bad ending, and will get some less obvious bad ending instead. The fancy losange is really super pissed at me for this.

The first area is like a lategame JRPG dungeon, the second area is like the final dungeon, and the third area is the postgame impossible one. It is super vicious, but also the perfect representation of the sublime, vertical and grotesque architecture it’s meant to convey? It is completely stunning. Maybe the elevator that turns you into a eyeball is a bit OTT.

Difficulty is a bit easier now but I still die a whole bunch. I made some fatal build mistake at the beginning I corrected pretty fast: I focused on the big nodes and didn’t really care about the little nodes on the way. The problem is that all the melee damage upgrades but one are on little nodes. Everything went much more smoothly super fast once I took a little detour to grab a few strength nodes. (and once I realized you could re-jump in mid-air if you hit an enemy, staying airborne for really long at times)

I think I went with a pretty good build: Past the beginning I completely ignored the gun, health and energy, and focused on damage, shield, luck, and miscellaneous orbs. + crits lategame. The gun is really cool but has too many drawbacks – might make a gun build on a replay.

Now that platforming is king in the third area and bottomless pits are everywhere I am focusing on energy upgrades to keep that air dash rolling.

I really love it when the game goes DING DONG TIME FOR DEATH and I just know resistance is futile and I now have to grab as much treasure as I can before my inevitable next death

I am using the hell out of the elder shards, mostly because the native crystal people are such a bore.  Elder shard powers are all over the map in terms of utility.  I built in a general manner, ignoring gun's but pumping everything else.  Guns, especially late, are troublesome because using them cuts down on your immediate mobility.  The trade's rarely worth it when the chips are down.  Anyway, building that way has been working fine, though since I'm using shards I can't directly compare how hard the game is.  If I'm ever inspired to finish my playthrough then do it all again I suppose I'll find out.  One word of advice though maybe you've already got it: if you don't have treasure sense yet, prioritize unlocking it - it's tremendously useful and will pay for itself many times over.  One of the things I like the best is being in an endless hordes area and making a mad dash for treasure chests.  It's a ton of fun but you can't do it without knowing well in advance where they are.

Ys VIII: intend to replay this on inferno but NISA just announced they've rewritten basically 100% of the script, including rerecording basically all the voiced lines in the game.  Seriously.  So I'll wait til that hits next year.

Dark Souls III: After a couple false starts, playing this in earnest.  Just beat Wolnir, who was cool af but not that hard.  Thoughts: through the first few zones I was carefully, methodically making progress.  Then, the swamp hit and that stopped happening.  It's amazing they have found new ways for a swamp level to be horrific, but fighting dudes who can curse you in an area where you can only walk and fatroll does the trick.  It did kinda make something clear, though: this game is not as unforgiving as its predecessors.  This swamp level, despite everything, is way tamer than DS1's (did DS2 have one? if Shrine of Amana counts then it's tamer than that, too) or Demon's.  DS3 catacombs also very tame!  Maybe there are catacombs later that are awful?  Bonewheels: not the murderwheels I have come to expect!  Not even close to as bad as Nioh Wheelmonks, even!

I'm going with a pyromancy/dex weapon build.  seems like a good, somewhat complementary balance.  and it's got the utility, but splitting stats has created some problems. it seems like whether it's fire or weapon damage, every enemy has been calibrated so that it survives my attacks with like 1% health, as if the game is laughing at me for multiclassing.  Even so, still seems like the best choice - even without great stats, pyromancy's getting me through some tough spots (getting Great Combusiton early surely helps this a lot).  It has been a weird mental adjustment after Bloodborne and Nioh to remember to block all the time.  Nioh there are builds that can get a lot out of blocking, but I didn't build that way, and the penalty for running out of stamina while blocking in that game is severe.  DS3 even having ignored all the stats that would make it a good idea, blocking is still very powerful.  One final thought: so far as I have discovered, the game is very linear, at least in terms of what zones you do when.  I guess 5 bosses in is not very far, but I kinda expected to have more options by now.  Even ignoring the key in DS1 you had a lot more freedom by the time you got 5 bosses deep.  Bosses have all been pretty cool.  I'm sure there are folks who can't stand the big tree boss but I liked it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:11:21 PM by NotMiki »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
-Shrine of Amana counts as a swamp level because it is bad for all the same reasons that swamp levels are bad. That said, DS3's swamp zone is probably least awful to traverse in spite of the many things noted that make it objectively seem like it'd be the worst. Maybe in part because nothing's ever going to top Valley of Defilement in this regard.

-Like the swamps, the bonewheels get the nerf stick every iteration. DS3's are shockingly feeble. We'll never know that horror again.

-Splitting stats can work! Depends on what you're going far. You can still hit soft caps by endgame if you're minmaxing properly and not dumping levels on shit like, I dunno, VIT. Worth noting that the two coolest of the unique-and-obviously-meant-for-pyromancers melee weapons have DEX requirements (which you've probably already met if you're using the uchi).

-DS3 is strikingly linear compared to the rest of the series. It's one of the things that makes if kind of a drag on replays, because there's a lot less planning routes to fit your build and get the swag early / work around bosses that might be a wall with a different playstyle. There are a few junctures in the game where you can choose between going to two different zones, but you have to do both of them before accessing the next phase of the game anyway so it's kind of academic in the long run, still feels like a fundamentally straight path through the game.

-I dislike the tree boss but it's still not the worst gimmick boss in the game.

-I've never used shields in DS3 for anything but an accessory (Grass Crest still exists), since DS2 and BB broke me of relying on blocking for anything, but I have to admit that they probably have more merit here than I'd suspect, just because even after entirely too many replays, there are still plenty of enemy attack patterns in this game that I have no earthly idea how to dodge properly.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:58:56 PM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 13, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
Pyro works fine, either go an elemental stat or Raw.  Especially early game Raw is Actually Really Good tm.

Carry a Chime in your offhand.  The skill on Chime is the best costed healing in the game, it is slow, so meh in boss fights but it will top you up between pulls while you wander around.

Since you have a Chime and Faith it never hurts to learn Gnaw or Dorhy's Gnawing to keep in your back pocket on bosses where bleed is good (aka all of them).

Disclaimer: I haven't played in over 12 months, advice might have since been nerfed into the ground because that's what From did with DS3 did with fun.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 13, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Shield, or at least blocking, I am finding particularly useful for 2 reasons.  1: getting jumped by unseen enemies.  2: how easy it is for enemies to interrupt you while you're chugging Estus.  Even taking far less damage than, say, Nioh, it's very easy for a hit or two to spiral into disaster as you back off and try to heal. (From Nioh, since I high stanced most of the time, the idea of chaining dodge rolls is something I need to remind myself is a thing)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 13, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
FF1- Finished randomizer run, or at least enough of it to be worth caring about. Neat concept at least.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 14, 2017, 02:25:24 AM »
Wild Guns Reloaded - Having more free time due to shorter work hours led me to trying this remake out. Everything I loved about the original with better synth, better graphics still in line with 16-bit aesthetics and a playable dachsund? Sign me in.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 14, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
I rely on shield but health is still important.
I could definitely not pull off the perk that turns all your health into shield!

Sundered has maybe the best sphere grid I’ve seen? It’s nice to see the concept perfected. It’s tight, gives you a lot of options, and expands throughout the game.

I’m a bit disappointed with the grappling hook, which is like entirely lifted from Castlevania OOE but feels ten time worse. Of course there’s a boss battle that’s all about navigating with the hook over an instant death pit
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:21:01 PM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »
Two, if you're going full corruption!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:18 AM »
I’m a bit disappointed with the grappling hook

Grappling hook is a very good argument for corruption, which replaces your air dash with an omnidirectional teleport

Dark Souls 3: started on Cathedral of the Deep, which is a bore and I'm glad I'm overleveled for it.  Why am I overleveled?  Because I did most of Ariandel, which was difficult but manageable, before the boss kicked my ass so hard I gave up on it. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:11:55 AM by NotMiki »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 15, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
Friede is one of two DS3 bosses I was never sufficiently competent to solo. Holy shit what were you guys thinking.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 15, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
I got past phase 1 once!  It was enough to convince me phase 2 ain't happening for a while.

Also?  Boss is cool af.  Once I am done with the game, definitely ranking bosses based on how awesome they look.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:03:13 PM by NotMiki »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 15, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »
Didn't have any problem with Friede using generic summon guy.  But my build is mighty.