Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49851 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #1000 on: October 31, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
FF1o: Marsh Cave stomped. I might've been overleveled? Went in at 12, memory says 10 would've been sufficient. Didn't mean to, just held off until I'd bought everything I thought I'd need. Spell costs for this team, yikes. (For all that the silver sword was the official shitwrecker throughout all that preparation; that thing makes such a huge difference.) Even so, overpreparing might've been necessary. RNG said I should get four wizards, and one of them got a crit round 1. Ow ow ow. Rune (the red mage--yes, it's a final PSIV party) lived through this at like 10% HP. Then Astos got two-rounded. Rub missed! Synchronous leveling still intact thus far.

It took until about level 10 for black belt to start justifying his existence in the party, which is pretty much what I remembered as far as unarmed attacks becoming viable. Even then he's only a ghettofabulous fighter, but at least I can mostly rely on him to OHKO any random mook by this point (and nearly Astos, with Haste in play).

Sold all the mystic key loot except the silver armor. All those fancy "Hit enemy weakness" weapons, none of them do anything except let me afford Fire 3.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:34:20 PM by El Cideon »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 01, 2017, 03:17:20 AM »
Level 12?! I was level 6 when I went in there yesterday. Granted I was playing the PSX version and using a two fighter and two mage team. Just finished the replay. Temper abuse is a thing, I did over 2000 damage to Chaos in a single attack.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 02, 2017, 02:38:54 AM »
C A S U A L

Destiny 2 - Beat the main plot on the weekend.  it is dumb.  Doing grind stuff every now and then.  It was fun and worth the money, but I am not going to sink hundreds of hours into it I think.  Like to the point where I am going to play Season 12 of Diablo that starts this week (and sink hundredsd of hours into that instead).

Bastion - Replayed this the other week.  It is really good still.

Fire Emblem Warriors - This is very much like Hyrule Warriors, so if you liked that take on Musuo then this will work.  I think maybe DQ:H 2 might actually tweak the formula a bit more in interesting ways?   But whatever.  I am beating my head up against some of the history maps.  Some of the maps just really spike in difficulty even at "low level".  Also a genuine complaint, I kinda don't like how the game forces specific PCs into uncontrolled AI slots.  I don't mind map conditions restricting people, but forcing like say Lucina on the field using your levels and your gear, but you can't control her, is kinda shitty.  I wish those slots were selectable as well.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 02, 2017, 02:45:09 AM »
wut. Grefter playing Destiny 2? PC or PS4?

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 02, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »
Valkyria Chronicles- Beaten! Vyse just massacred the final boss so badly (Attack Up+Double Attack+Awaken is a nasty combo...albeit only really for that one battle). Very fun game; I didn't do too much scout rushing, which generally made it challenging. The trench warfare aspect really fit the plot so well and really illustrated the horrors of war (I also wonder if this is the type of battles that FE are trying to invoke?). The plot did start losing steam near the end, but was still mostly entertaining. I ended up at L20 with all classes (except the useless Snipers) thanks to Super doing a bunch of skirmishes for me.
...into the nightfall.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 02, 2017, 10:24:01 AM »
Vyse is probably the best trooper in the game, but I suspect I just use him the most because he's Vyse. He just seems like he's having so much fun, you know, murdering the shit out of everyone. Snipers are rarely if ever crucial, but it can be nice in maps where there's a good vantage point right by the opening camp to have one expend all their bullets headshotting officers first round.

Scout rushing mostly emphasizes how broken the game's scoring system is. Speed bonuses outweigh whatever extra you'll get from downing officers/elites/etc, so blitzing every map so you can get extra points is in the long run more advantageous than being thorough and careful. Guess which approach is more my style? So that's a little annoying, but I still love the game, even though the plot does, as noted, get a bit squiffy near the end.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
In general, I'm a fan of "scoring" based on time, but VC scout-rushing also felt not very satisfying is the real problem.  Like, if Solid Snake breaks into the enemy base and blows up the supplies causing the enemy to retreat without firing a shot, fine, that's cool.  If Aika or Alicia just zooms past the guards and waves a flag around at the enemy HQ...  so what?  We're skipping the part where the invading Scout gets shot to little pieces by the like 10 guys still manning the base camp she just ran past that logically comes next?

Basically there should have been some objective - kill the boss, plant the explosives in the three weak points, hold the HQ for 2 turns uncontested.  Merely arriving at the enemy flag is unsatisfying; prisoners can do that!

Anyway.  This reminded me that a new VC game came out just recently!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/valkyria-revolution

...oh.  those reviews.  they are not good.  Damnit.  Dear Sega: just do VC1 again, but bigger and with better difficulty control.

(also EDIT: Well PSX FF1 and FF1o are different beasts!  I think lvl. 9 was generally considered the level where going to the Marsh Cave isn't a 4-way suicide pact, at least if your plan wasn't "run from everything.")
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:11:36 PM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 02, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
PSX FF1 is the one version which is about the same as FF1o, actually.

And I'm definitely closer to Super on this one. If you're Level 12 you're gonna roll the Marsh Cave real bad; it gets its reputation from what it's like if you don't stop and grind in Elfland and/or Pravoka. There's nothing between Garland and the Marsh Cave except some overland trekking and the Pirates, so you won't be getting all the way to 9-10 unless you stop and grind (which is your choice, but certainly not necessary unless your team sucks). Level 6 is a good minimum for leaving Elfland because that's when your Black Mage gets two L3s and your Red Mage gets one, which is hugely valuable for the Wizards.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 02, 2017, 03:27:38 PM »
Am I thinking of Easy mode or something?  I thought PSX FF1 gave the mages way, way more spell charges, like triple their count from NES.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 02, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »
It's been a while, but I think the only things PSX FF1 did was up HP for the fiends & Chaos and allow attacks to retarget if the original target died. Almost all of the original, buggy coding was still in there.

Anyway, my team does suck, I admit to no shame to grinding cash until I had overwhelming firepower. The wizards still came remarkably close to melting the party "tank" round 1.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 03, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »
PSX FF1 had a bunch of small bug fixes, one massive bug fix, and memo saving in dungeons to go along with doubled boss HP. It might have also tweaked the PC HP average. It also had revival in battle/a dash button/auto target, all of which can be turned off.

Memo saving is cool but I largely consider it good for countering bullshit ice cave deaths. Not something you have to use of course.

FF1 fixed temper and saber. This more than offsets the gain in HP the  fiends get, especially if you run more than one black magic user. My black mage with no attack run in Dawn of Souls drove home how nuts those spells are.

E: unless you do the block puzzle in the PSX version you have to do at least a little leveling for the marsh cave, just during to needing money for pures.  But yeah I would say L6 is around where I go with a decent team.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:16:06 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 03, 2017, 12:30:59 AM »
Getting ambushed by spiders and spending more on poison cures than you get for killing them: a bad feeling that should feel bad.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 03, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
I'm starting bravely default. Citra, so I can't use any of the features that require internet.

Should I do normal or hard?

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1013 on: November 03, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »
You can change difficulty and encounter rate in the main menu, so it's not a big deal either way.  I find the game fights back somewhat on Normal myself, but I'm also a wuss, so depends if you want "bosses might take a try or two" or "get good or die".
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 03, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
I've only played on Hard myself. Hard is definitely on the difficult end for the type of game it is, though still very much "fair" and you'll most likely never need to grind. As CK notes you can adjust this in the menu midgame (and there's no penalty for doing so) so don't stress the decision too much and figure out what you're in the mood for.

Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 03, 2017, 10:01:39 PM »
I'd at least start the game on normal.  The back end allows for some serious degenerate combos, but in the beginning when you only have a few jobs to work with, some bosses just dish out too much damage for hard to be fun.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 04, 2017, 11:33:58 PM »
A big MMO or FPS release?  Yeah I play it a little Sopko.  PC.

Wolfenstein 2 also forgot to mention this was amazing.  Klan are featured way more in optional content than the main game and even that is more Nazis.  So there was less edge on that point but goddamn does this game do a lot of things.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 06, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
FF1 randomizer- played this some, blame chat. Had roughly two dozen deaths so far (just beat vampire). Imps had scorch and frost, which made the beginning game hell. The L1 magic level was utterly useless as well, no healing or mt. Pirates we're awful as well, they had trance, stone and fire 2. The only reason I don't have 50+ resets is that I got s lucky ribbon from matoya's cave.
-------------------

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 06, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »
Nioh: holy shit is this game long.  neeeeeearly done with the DLC.  probably.

Maria of the Astral Clocktower was very difficult, as was centepede dude.  Both could one-shot me with most of their moves.  Date Masamune was a fascinating departure from the games' other human bosses.  Slow, approachable, blocks a ton, nearly impossible to run out of ki.  Probably not bad for most builds but kryptonite to mine.  I had to use a guardian spirit that had a passive ability to make 20% of damage go through blocking even to dent him.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:49:40 PM by NotMiki »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 07, 2017, 01:08:56 AM »
FF1: Lich got one-rounded. Fire 3 -> Harm 3 -> done.

First Ice Cave trip for the Floater was relatively painless. Had one Mage encounter, with a single enemy. He Rubbed out Chaz, so synchronous leveling is no longer a thing. The sorcerers waited to put in an appearance until I came back to loot the place. Holy shit who thought this was a balanced enemy. First legitimate, no-way-out reset (though I reset a few times for Ordeals because the first encounter kept being "Get mobbed by medusas first encounter, someone instantly stoned" until I remembered how random spawns worked and fought something outside to throw off the sequence). Even overleveled, some obnoxious shit can happen. Damage variance is just so absurdly swingy. Fighting the red dragon in the volcano, and his spell does more damage than Wren (black mage) has for max HP. Game, what.

Probably Mirage Tower for loot -> sea shrine -> Tiamat for the remainder. Second half of the game is a pretty steady, unbroken dungeon chain with all the grinding frontloaded for Marsh/Earth Caves.

~

Dragon's Dogma: Re-platinumed. That part took a while, I don't recommend it. I don't know why I did this other than the game just being a very satisfactory Girl Cid simulator. Anyway I just mention it at this point because I maxed out all the classes this time and got a lot more enjoyment out of one of them than previous (spoilers it isn't Warrior. Warrior is still zzzzz). It's Sorcerer, which last time I only used long enough to get the MAG++ augment (passive bonuses transferable between classes) and then abandoned. That was a mistake because Capcom wanted there to be a Ye Shall Be As Gods class and Sorcerer is it. The high level spells are so absurd, just on a visual level, that they're a joy to use even if they sometimes turn out to deal not so much damage as you'd want them to (and it gets exponentially dumber, in the best way, if you can coax a party of pawns into synchronous casting of the same spell; I had to check videos to see this actually happen, but holy cronkers that's broke when it works). The casting times are murder, but the right spell can also sometimes immediately end a fight, so decent risk and reward balance with the right spell loadout. I didn't mess with the status spells much, but the damage spells are some of the most spectacularly grandiose attacks in gaming:

Bolide: I wanted this spell to be good, because it looks so amazing, but it's the most unreliable in the lot. I mean, it's Meteor Swarm, you float around dramatically in the air and then flaming death rocks rain from the sky. That's awesome! But it doesn't seem to be aimable at all, and the later bolts tend to hit a mile off. Usually I'll see the first one or two impacts squarely hit the nearest large enemy, then every other landing point is totally random and usually doesn't hit anything at all. Good for hydras since they're gigantic and weak to fire, but most of the time this means it isn't worth using at all for anything but the incredible visceral effect of flaming death pummeling the area.

Gicel: Probably the most useful just by virtue of being the most aimable. Giant ice spears lance out and shred everything. If an enemy's fast enough to dodge the first one, the others will still get it. Also only way I could stun Daimon as a sorcerer when he did his bullshit black hole attack. Maybe the simplest visual effect but still incredibly stylish.

Fulmination: It turns you into a walking Tesla sphere the size of a house. This is amazing. The A.I.'s kinda bad with this since you need to maintain the charge instead of just firing it off in a blink, but it's stupidly good in competent PC hands. If something can be stunned, it automatically loses the fight. It doesn't matter how many healthbars it has. Here, I made an accidental instructional video for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1DDK-n5js

Three giant undead wolves, three not!Taurus Demons, a buncha birds -> no survivors. Okay, the stupid cyclops knocked me out of the animation near the end and I had to cherry tap the last Eliminator, but still, downing six miniboss enemies with one spell is pretty fantastic.

Seism: Earthquake. It's pretty good? It's reliable at incapacitating and heavily damaging anything within range when fired, but the range could be better and it's centered on the caster rather than being aimable. But if it even is elemental, nothing seems to resist it, so solid 7/10 spell I guess. I got a ring that unlocked the third tier variety so I may be overrating vs. normal version of the spell.

Maelstrom: You don't like being able to see what's happening in your game, right? Then this is the spell for you! Maelstrom's hilarious, but I really can't tell if it's any damn good at all. If you use this in close confines, you really will not be able to tell what in the goddamn hell is going on in your game for an extended period of time. It seems to do its best damage by tossing enemies in the air and letting them hit the ground, which also doesn't work with a low ceiling. Also anything larger than a garm likely won't go airborne, though it probably will get stuck at the center of the vortex for the duration. Also it doesn't seem to do much of anything against giant enemies. But it is almost definitely the most ridiculously grandiose visual effect I have ever seen a game let you perform, and that counts for a lot. They really wanted Sorcerer to be the "I am become death, destroyer of worlds" class, and the animations sell it amazingly well. Verdict: only effective when it's overkill, but it is pretty damn satisfying to watch an entire mob of enemies get sucked in from across an entire floor and get hucked a mile into the air.

Flipside, if an NPC ever succeeds in casting this spell, you should just quit and reload your game. It's faster than waiting for the spell animation to finally stop juggling your corpse so you can reach a gameover screen.

I thought I was done here but there's a ring that enhances unarmed damage so I might do a fist-only speedrun just to see how stupid it is.

The endgame plot is still like someone read a Cliff's Notes of a Cliff's Notes of Nietzsche.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:21:41 AM by El Cideon »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 08, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Undertale (PS Vita): Finished.  Neutral route.  Murdered all bosses (well, attempted to for Napstablock / Mad Dummy), spared all randos and forced encounters (e.g. Snowdin Dog Squad).

Yeah, I'm late, but I blame the DL.  You all have terrible taste a different sense of what is humorous in the game than me - like all the hyped screenshots were of the lines that fell the flattest for me.  Valley Girl Crocodile being SO hyped for the destruction of humanity is lame, skeleton fish politics, etc.  Luckily, while the writing can be a bit hit-or-miss, there's plenty that was authentically humorous, and the drama / meta aspects of the game were shockingly good, so I'll take it.  The only major character that I didn't really like was Dr. Alphys, who was maybe supposed to be clingy and annoying, but a little too good at being annoying.

Losses...  I did lose to randos in both the Ruins and Snowdin while trying to puzzle out how to fashion police the Ice Hats and the like.  The only bosses that caused a reset for me were Mettaton and the Frue Final (Which barely counts since you lose very little).  Undyne did tax my healing reserves to nearly the limit, forcing me to eat the Snowman piece I had promised to carry to the end of the world.  Whoops.  And I had saved the Butterscotch Pie for Asgore, which helped there of course, it'd surely have been multiple resets without it.  (And it's an awesome fight, maybe the best in the game mechanically.  Does the game take pity on you, though?!  I thought I was about to lose, until I randomly won with a hit that dealt the entire last third of his health bar).  That said, Pacifist seems like it'd be exciting, since it'd be at lvl. 1 the whole time...?  Unless there's some sort of invisible balancing to have you take less damage in that route to compensate for the lack of LOVE. 

I'm curious how 8-4 handled the Japanese translation of the game, since so many of the rando monsters are English puns.  I guess you could just call it a "Shy Siren" and translate that at worst, but it'd not quite be the same.

Thanks to the Internet, I see that Temmie Village actually exists and isn't just a sign trolling you.  I did like how all the shopkeepers have a sell option that they then proceed to refuse to use. 

Vita/PS4 has a nice dynamic border around the game if you want that changes based on the location, if you're curious.  And typing an essay for Mettaton is obviously more annoying.  There's also PSN trophies which seems a little against the spirit of the game?  I wonder if they'll ever backport them to Steam achievements.  Only super-obvious changes I could detect, though.

As to your final question, Sans, I did it because I can't Pacifist route the first time through anyway, so I get to see your reaction and that of all the townspeople.  You might not like that answer, though.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 08, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »
Asgore does indeed always lose the last chunk of his health that way, though it has nothing to do with you being about to lose.

There's a gravity component to Undertale damage when you're above 20 HP so extra LOVE ends up not as useful as it looks, though all things being equal LV 1 will still make things harder than LV 10 or whatever.

Japanese has an extremely high potential for puns in general so hopefully the translators knew what they were doing, Ace Attorney-style.

I'm with you on skeleton fish politics but Bratty and Catty are great. I do agree that the humour can be hit or miss (though this exceeded my expectations as Earthbound was close to 100% miss, and Undertale obviously draws inspiration from it) but that's okay because it isn't actually the strongest/most important part of the writing.

Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 08, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
Alphys misses out on a lot if you aren't reloading after the normal ending to see the true pacifist ending. I had pretty much the same response before looping back for ultimate good time feels ending.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 09, 2017, 12:29:07 AM »
I'd definitely recommend going for the pacifist ending.  Well worth your time.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 09, 2017, 12:56:11 AM »
I thought Alphys was pretty great even before Pacifist (one of the times the humour of the game was definitely "on" for me) but yeah that route definitely rounds her out as a serious character.

Maybe.