Register

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49890 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #975 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:07 AM »
Egglia - I think I got to the end of the main quest, so all that is left is perpetual grind.  Will keep going since the perpetual game is pretty okay.  Recruit new races to your town. Build more buildings.  More unlocks after the core 6 when you finish it.   There was no big boss fight in main quest, there is some in optional areas.  Dragons of each element.  I put them off until now which was wrong, should have done when they unlocked, I thought hey were end game, but they are just relevant to the time of unlock.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 12, 2017, 11:44:55 PM »
Cuphead - Almost done with World 2 on Inkwell Isle. Baroness von Bon Bon I smashed on the first try, so I imagined the rest of the ride wouldn't be TOO bad. Boy, was I wrong beyond all reason. Beppi The Clown is anathema to all that lives and Funhouse Frazzle is a brutal run n' gun stage. Nice set of references to Castle of Illusion, though! Djimmi the Great was pretty rough too until I somewhat figured out how to deal with the lasers, but that phase is -nuts-. Everything else is a matter of getting used to the patterns. Wally Warbles, by comparison, was actually less problematic. The fight is absolutely hilarious and surprisingly dark in really bizarre ways, though!

Also, Charge Shot is -ridiculous-.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »
Shadow of Mordor: Bruz is a chipper lad, I like'em.

Orc freakiness has been dialed up ten-fold or so.  Currently running around with a literal two-faced orc as my bodyguard.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 16, 2017, 12:16:00 AM »
Nier Automata T-shirt! Shit! Square Enix! which I have been spending basically all my free time playing since I beat Ys 8: beat.  It was really, really good.  I'll have more to say about it later.

The E ending was perfect, and I've been crying on and off for the last couple hours.

2017 has been a hell of a year for me for playin vidjagames.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:21:03 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 16, 2017, 06:59:37 AM »
I am also playing Nier: Automata (about 10 hours in) and indeed it is extremely enjoyable. Really my biggest complaint at this point is that the gameplay, while far better than the first game and honestly rather a lot of fun (as you'd expect from something which obviously draws from Bayonetta), doesn't really provide a particularly interesting challenge because you have nigh-infinite instantaneous items (and the game even freezes for half a second when you get hit so you'll get time to use 'em). The game would be way too hard if I swore them off entirely (or played on the OHKO difficulty mode), so that's not really an option. But whatever, this is hardly a major complaint.

It's much more difficult to talk about all the good stuff the game is doing well (the most non-spoilerful thing I can say would be the way the game manages to marry a dark tone and setting with a certain delightful whimsy) but there is a lot of it. And is doing more still which is merely promising, but the reviews the game has gotten makes me hopeful it makes good on said promise.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 16, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
Agreed re: healing.  The ease of it is an unexpected weakness for a game with such great combat on paper.  It does paper over a weakness in the game that combat, while always excessively pretty, can be hard to see at times.  I think lower enemy damage and less access to healing would have worked better overall.  I still had fun with combat all the way through, though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:44:02 PM by NotMiki »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 16, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
Dragon's Dogma: beat and re-beat. I smashed hard mode in a single afternoon coming in with endgame levels and gear. Even so, with mostly dragonforged armor and 2k+ HP, there were still things that could kill me in one hit. Flipside: if I got a chance to attack (even while leveling mage, not my main class), it was probably getting stunlocked to death. So NG+ hard mode just turns the game into rocket tag. Worst thing is not even dragons. It's just the bandit archers on the way to Bluemoon Tower. Holy shit those guys. They're bad in a normal run, but they definitely killed me more than anything else this time. Why is some schlub with a bow the most dangerous adversary in a game filled with giant wandering boss enemies?

I still wonder if the game even realizes how completely nihilistic its cosmology is.

FF1o: It's been a few years and this bad idea bit again. NES classic is in the picture, so I am going all the way back and kicking it old school this time, buggy programming and all. Black belt and mage trio party. It is not a good party, because there is no fighter. But there's also not a thief, so it could be worse. I was looking for something middle of the road as far quality goes. I wasn't entirely expecting to go multiple consecutive rounds of combat vs. randoms with the entire party missing physical attacks, though, but here we are.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:52:41 PM by El Cideon »

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 17, 2017, 04:52:18 AM »
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Fun little tactical RPG with turn-based combat and a heavy emphasis on plot and story. Finally beat it, clocking in somewhere around 100 hours. Lots of stuff to mess around with, and I had a great time with it. Going to give it a small break then jump back into it. One of the best parts is that there is an insane amount of customization, up to and including the main cast who, while having set appearances, if you want to play as one of them as your main character you can still edit their appearance. Also the fact that every playstyle seems incredibly balanced.

The downside is that the ending seemed... not great. The epilogue was the exact opposite of what I was aiming for, which might have had something to do with the character I was playing as? Unsure. That's part of why I want to replay it and see how things change.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 18, 2017, 12:09:06 AM »
Nier: Automata.

I think it will be difficult for me to talk coherently about the game.  There's so much to say!  But I'll give it a shot.  Spoilers follow.  This isn't a game to spoil yourself on, so if you haven't played it, I'd recommend not reading about it.

First of all, the trailer that plays from the title screen.  It is comical how spoilery it is.  There's one clip from the A/B route aaaaand it's the early part of the Eve fight.  Other than that, 100% aftergame territory, including clips from both the C and I believe D endings AND a voice clip of Emil from his superboss fight.  Like.  Those sure are some spoilers.

The sound design is about as good as I have ever encountered in a video game, the overlaid audio tracks fading in and out worked very well all game long, and never better than in the E ending when the chorus comes in.  It was such a beautiful moment.

The game feels like a multimedia project condensed into videogame form.  The various sorts of interludes and ways information are presented, the frequent changes of perspective - the storybook style backstories for the robots, and the stilted back-and-forth of the pods and allowing the player to control characters like Pascal and the oil-carrying robot kid.  All great, weaving the threads of plot and changing perspectives to explore different aspects of the themes of the game.    The ending fakeouts and the presence of multiple endings and a chapter select feature also help in that regard.  Like, you did the plot, now let's finish exploring these ideas more selectively.  Integrating the screen and volume setup into the plot at the beginning, then going straight to the self-destruct feature, sure was a thing.  I loved that the game remembered what I did there during 9S's route.

On that note I also really liked a lot of the sidequests, which were a great mechanism for exploring different perspectives.  One robot feels guilty about all the androids it killed, so commits suicide by jumping off a tower, leaving the question hanging of whether you, 9S, feel guilt for all the robots you killed, and what you are going to do about it.  (Though it must be said, 9S, that if you jumped off the tower, you would survive the fall.)  Another robot presents a "treasure hunting" quest as a pretext to get you to murder robots it didn't like.  It has no remorse.  Do you?

The game does a lot to integrate its themes into the mechanics.  Even hostile robots typically have very short aggro ranges.  Harmless unless you get too close, and maybe you don't know that at first but you quickly learn.  You can spare them easily, if you so choose.  2B's ability to self-destruct on command, the ability to commit suicide by removing your OS chip, make continuing to live a choice rather than an assumption.  "To be" indeed.

One thing I was thinking as I was playing the B route was that I was really disappointed that the game does not explore the idea of 2B and 9S's different perspectives and memories at that point.  I thought it was a missed opportunity, because I assumed that 9S knew more than 2B did - that's what the narrative flow would suggest, and that's how Nier worked, with Kaine's story.  The later reveal that the opposite was true - that 2B was the one with the secret perspective which 9S was ignorant of - was a beautiful subversion.  The latter half of the game, which was about a lot of things but to me mostly about whether 9S could be saved, reminded me a lot of Tsukihime, where in the final route you, the player, know everything there is to know, and the game shifts from being about uncovering the truth to finding (as the back cover of the final volume of Gunslinger Girl puts it) a faint ray of light.

The E ending is a beautiful answer to that question, and is something that could only be accomplished in a video game format.  I thought it worked much better than the (very good!) ending to Nier, because Nier:A creates some separation between the player and the characters, especially in the C route.  In Nier, you sometimes are made aware that Nier has a different perspective than you do (during one sidequest he says that any villager he suspected of being a shade he would kill without hesitation, to keep the village safe for Yonah) he's still something of a stand-in.  And that limits, I think, how much you can care about him as a character.  Not so in Nier:A.  And just when you think you're struggling to save the characters, the curtain is pulled back, you get help from other players.  You have the opportunity to help a complete stranger.  To affirm that just as you mattered to someone else, they matter to you.  To affirm that the characters of the story deserve their happy ending.  That it matters.  It's so beautiful.  I cried, a lot.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:10:44 AM by NotMiki »

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 18, 2017, 01:34:53 AM »
Nier: Automata.

I think it will be difficult for me to talk coherently about the game.  There's so much to say!  But I'll give it a shot.  Spoilers follow.  This isn't a game to spoil yourself on, so if you haven't played it, I'd recommend not reading about it.

First of all, the trailer that plays from the title screen.  It is comical how spoilery it is.  There's one clip from the A/B route aaaaand it's the early part of the Eve fight.  Other than that, 100% aftergame territory, including clips from both the C and I believe D endings AND a voice clip of Emil from his superboss fight.  Like.  Those sure are some spoilers.

The sound design is about as good as I have ever encountered in a video game, the overlaid audio tracks fading in and out worked very well all game long, and never better than in the E ending when the chorus comes in.  It was such a beautiful moment.

The game feels like a multimedia project condensed into videogame form.  The various sorts of interludes and ways information are presented, the frequent changes of perspective - the storybook style backstories for the robots, and the stilted back-and-forth of the pods and allowing the player to control characters like Pascal and the oil-carrying robot kid.  All great, weaving the threads of plot and changing perspectives to explore different aspects of the themes of the game.    The ending fakeouts and the presence of multiple endings and a chapter select feature also help in that regard.  Like, you did the plot, now let's finish exploring these ideas more selectively.  Integrating the screen and volume setup into the plot at the beginning, then going straight to the self-destruct feature, sure was a thing.  I loved that the game remembered what I did there during 9S's route.

On that note I also really liked a lot of the sidequests, which were a great mechanism for exploring different perspectives.  One robot feels guilty about all the androids it killed, so commits suicide by jumping off a tower, leaving the question hanging of whether you, 9S, feel guilt for all the robots you killed, and what you are going to do about it.  (Though it must be said, 9S, that if you jumped off the tower, you would survive the fall.)  Another robot presents a "treasure hunting" quest as a pretext to get you to murder robots it didn't like.  It has no remorse.  Do you?

The game does a lot to integrate its themes into the mechanics.  Even hostile robots typically have very short aggro ranges.  Harmless unless you get too close, and maybe you don't know that at first but you quickly learn.  You can spare them easily, if you so choose.  2B's ability to self-destruct on command, the ability to commit suicide by removing your OS chip, make continuing to live a choice rather than an assumption.  "To be" indeed.

One thing I was thinking as I was playing the B route was that I was really disappointed that the game does not explore the idea of 2B and 9S's different perspectives and memories at that point.  I thought it was a missed opportunity, because I assumed that 9S knew more than 2B did - that's what the narrative flow would suggest, and that's how Nier worked, with Kaine's story.  The later reveal that the opposite was true - that 2B was the one with the secret perspective which 9S was ignorant of - was a beautiful subversion.  The latter half of the game, which was about a lot of things but to me mostly about whether 9S could be saved, reminded me a lot of Tsukihime, where in the final route you, the player, know everything there is to know, and the game shifts from being about uncovering the truth to finding (as the back cover of the final volume of Gunslinger Girl puts it) a faint ray of light.

The E ending is a beautiful answer to that question, and is something that could only be accomplished in a video game format.  I thought it worked much better than the (very good!) ending to Nier, because Nier:A creates some separation between the player and the characters, especially in the C route.  In Nier, you sometimes are made aware that Nier has a different perspective than you do (during one sidequest he says that any villager he suspected of being a shade he would kill without hesitation, to keep the village safe for Yonah) he's still something of a stand-in.  And that limits, I think, how much you can care about him as a character.  Not so in Nier:A.  And just when you think you're struggling to save the characters, the curtain is pulled back, you get help from other players.  You have the opportunity to help a complete stranger.  To affirm that just as you mattered to someone else, they matter to you.  To affirm that the characters of the story deserve their happy ending.  That it matters.  It's so beautiful.  I cried, a lot.

Sooooooo....

What'd you choose to do?
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 18, 2017, 01:53:37 AM »

Sooooooo....

What'd you choose to do?

Contributed my save file to my fellow humans.  Even if it turns out to go to someone I hate!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 18, 2017, 02:54:29 AM »
You make back up first!

Either way, NieR IS a multimedia project. Yokotaro is still publishing novels and writing stage plays for the franchise as we speak.
You kninda can't get all the perspective without going all of them.
A lot of fun will be missed to, as in "Yokotaro mind rape his audience" type of fun.

Most notable is the 5 live conceter/stage voice drama from a few month ago. In which the drama script were given to all audience, even the scripts of the drama in concerts of later dates.
The entire NieR/DoD fan community were plunged into pure despair soon after, as in the script of the post ending-E story of the drama, 9S is totally dead and 2B had her mind completely broken. The fandom soon regrets believing that Yokotaro would give them a break after watching the ending-E. After all, that man is known to spare no one.

So the fandom kinda exploded in the concert hall on the day of the  4th concert, when the actual drama deviates from the script and hands off a happy end instead.
The fandom had the biggest meltdown ever since the fall of the Mother Angel into Shinjuku. With their minds broken not by the usual tragedy, but by a fucking good end.

BTW, anyone play the DLC? If you beat all the DLC tournament, an extra story arc will open up at that TV pile in the amusement park.
The story arc for "Inochi ni Fusawashi".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNKk3fPed8 (This video has subtitles)

Oh, one last thing. Remember one of the picture book scene in the 9S route?
You know that one scene about the god of the robots rise out of the mountain and tell them to find the meaning of life?
That god is P-33, you know that bot in NieR 1 you fought in the trash mountain?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 18, 2017, 03:16:28 AM »
Agreed re: healing.  The ease of it is an unexpected weakness for a game with such great combat on paper.  It does paper over a weakness in the game that combat, while always excessively pretty, can be hard to see at times.  I think lower enemy damage and less access to healing would have worked better overall.  I still had fun with combat all the way through, though.

The part about being hard to see is absolutely true, especially because you often have a partner dressed very similarly to your PC (and occasionally enemies as well). Though at points this felt very deliberate.

Got to Ending A.
That snuck up on me surprisingly abruptly? The robot church felt like Just Another Dungeon (this is not meant as criticism) and then boom, endgame. Very little closure on a lot of things! Far more than the first Nier, playing for other endings seems -needed- for the game's narrative (rather than just an excellent idea)), and I'm amused that Square Enix agreed enough to basically write me a polite letter saying as much. I don't have too much to say about Ending A itself except that it was nice to see 2B let her guard down.

Anyway, game clock's at a bit past 12 hours. Excited to see where the game goes from here.

Oh yeah Mage's post reminded me that I tried playing the first Divinity: Original Sin this past summer and I don't think I ever posted about it. It wasn't bad but nor was it really engaging me on anything, either writing or gameplay? Gameplay's really as good as I had hoped for given the genre, but the setting that we saw was just so generic so far, zzz, and pretty much every NPC felt like a D&D trope of some sort. Man do I have trouble getting into WRPGs. I may go back to it at some point but since obtaining the PS4 and Switch it's gone waaay down the list.

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 18, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
FF1o: It's been a few years and this bad idea bit again. NES classic is in the picture, so I am going all the way back and kicking it old school this time, buggy programming and all. Black belt and mage trio party. It is not a good party, because there is no fighter. But there's also not a thief, so it could be worse. I was looking for something middle of the road as far quality goes. I wasn't entirely expecting to go multiple consecutive rounds of combat vs. randoms with the entire party missing physical attacks, though, but here we are.

That party is awful, dear god. Black Belt is barely better than thief. It has the same durability woes and the offense is also bad early on.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 18, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Yeah, I figured he'd be the frontliner, but it turns out that has to be red mage. Defense is just too key in FF1, you can't HP tank.

This team needs soooo much money before I can even think of walking to the Marsh Cave, too.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 19, 2017, 01:37:56 AM »

The part about being hard to see is absolutely true, especially because you often have a partner dressed very similarly to your PC (and occasionally enemies as well). Though at points this felt very deliberate.

Got to Ending A.
That snuck up on me surprisingly abruptly? The robot church felt like Just Another Dungeon (this is not meant as criticism) and then boom, endgame. Very little closure on a lot of things! Far more than the first Nier, playing for other endings seems -needed- for the game's narrative (rather than just an excellent idea)), and I'm amused that Square Enix agreed enough to basically write me a polite letter saying as much. I don't have too much to say about Ending A itself except that it was nice to see 2B let her guard down.

Anyway, game clock's at a bit past 12 hours. Excited to see where the game goes from here.

Oh yeah Mage's post reminded me that I tried playing the first Divinity: Original Sin this past summer and I don't think I ever posted about it. It wasn't bad but nor was it really engaging me on anything, either writing or gameplay? Gameplay's really as good as I had hoped for given the genre, but the setting that we saw was just so generic so far, zzz, and pretty much every NPC felt like a D&D trope of some sort. Man do I have trouble getting into WRPGs. I may go back to it at some point but since obtaining the PS4 and Switch it's gone waaay down the list.

For what it's worth I agree with you about the first one. It was generally quite bland, and for everything that was interesting or good there was something equally bad. The second game, luckily, does not require having played the first one (all it really does is reference it, but not for plot purposes) and it also polished itself quite nicely. So if you're to play just one, I would suggest skipping the first one.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 21, 2017, 04:48:43 AM »
Shadow of War: Act 3 was some serious absurd shit.  iloveit

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 21, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »
Fire Emblem Warriors - wtf i love fire emblem now?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 21, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Nioh - playing this after two high-speed infinite-dodge roll action games is one hell of a mental adjustment.

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 21, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
Fire Emblem Warriors:

So far the story is lackluster. I did stream a bit to Meeple (on Friday) who made a comment about Carmilla (they "REALLY" made sure to show off her assets.)

Also f 2 force battles forever. Hoshido and Nohr fighting and taking bases before the two kill each other. I hated that back in HW, I still hate it now. So much hatred. At least I got the memento, though I will have to go back...again to get the treasures. Why. I hate that, game.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 22, 2017, 03:36:27 AM »
Nioh - playing this after two high-speed infinite-dodge roll action games is one hell of a mental adjustment.

Played more of this.  Getting back in the swing of it.  Chain & Sickle still the goofiest thing.  This is way more of a stealth game than I'd remembered.  Or maybe I'm just too much of a glass cannon to deal with difficult scenarios like "any time there's more than one dude aggroed."  I'm kinda curious what sort of experience I'm missing out on not going with something more traditional.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 24, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
More Nioh.  I like the combat in this game, but the dodge rolls are way too stiff, frankly.  You're rooted in place for a bit after you execute one, and it makes combat much more dangerous than it otherwise would be.  I feel like they balanced some of this stuff around PVP then forgot to add PVP.  (Do they have it yet? iunno.)  Chain & Sickle and ninjutsu still goofy af.  It's amazing how OP sloth talisman is.  How have they not nerfed it?  It reduces enemy action speed to, like, 1/3 of normal?  Bosses don't seem to resist it (unlike paralysis) and you don't need much of an investment in magic to get it.  I'm thinking of investing another 5 levels in magic JUST so I can get another 2 shots of it.  You start with 2, and if you can manage to hit a boss with the first one (not a given) you can do stuff, reapply, then pop living weapon and that's usually enough.  The casting time on it is slow and roots you in place, though, and bosses deal somewhere between 90% and lolOHKO damage to my frail build, so boss fights are often decided in the first second, me mashing the cast button and hoping it connects and that the boss decided to do something with a windup.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:35:52 PM by NotMiki »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 25, 2017, 07:13:28 AM »
Nier:A - Beat. Enjoyed a lot overall, but at the same time, I felt it did lose some steam towards the end.

None of endings C/D/E really worked for me at all... E is supposed to be some big emotional thing about people helping you get your good ending but man I don't get it. You break the fourth wall like that and all I feel is how pointless beating a video game is.

I thought the game was going to end up super-great some time around the end of route B / start of C but I don't think it really retained that level; it killed off a few too many of its interesting characters (and lategame replacements A2 and Red Girl largely were disappointing, particularly the latter). C had some good stuff though, the scenes surrounding 2B's death and the humour right after with A2 and 042 is stellar; so is 9S's descent into madness; so is the agony of Pascal (although it would have worked better if he hadn't talked about cores like 5 seconds earlier; no reason you can't make that part of the setting work earlier in the game); so is pretty much every novelization sequence. So there's a lot to like even though some big things fell flat.

Music is obviously amazing. Writing is good and is trying to stay stuff, A+ want more video games to do this please. Gameplay is still a weakness due to aforementioned issues but it was fun enough, Bayonetta minus isn't the worst place to be.

I don't even have the first idea what to rate it right now. Highly recommended despite the reservations.

Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 25, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »
Congratulations to Elf for reaching the "this feel meaningless" conclusion.
And if you look harder, there are a lot more factors in the ending that were made to make you feel meaningless.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 31, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »
https://kotaku.com/the-french-on-ys-viiis-vita-box-is-literal-nonsense-1819981754

Um.

Also, Nioh: beat.  Plan to do the DLC but I may take a break first.  This is a long game, and comes by it honestly.