imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49880 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #900 on: September 16, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
Did you play some version of Innocent Sin first?

I've never tried playing EP in a vacuum. But I remember bawling like a baby at the end of it and it definitely required the setup from IS to make that deeper connection for me.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 17, 2017, 05:23:18 AM »
PERSONA 2 HYPE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. 

Yeah, Noriko is the toughest fight in the game, generally.  Kind of a wake-up call in using the system.  A couple things that could help:
- Were you nice to Ulala at the end of the GOLD?  If you were, you can summon Maia Custom, by using Maia in fusions to end battles until she gets the modification ability.  Maia Custom is level 31, with Mediarama, Recarm, and good defenses (especially given her level).  Maya can basically solo the fight on auto-battle by that point.  Maia Custom doesn't require grinding - once you unlock her, you can use her immediately, even if you aren't normally a high enough level. 
- A couple good personas to get if you are able include Iris (for Ulala, although you'll need to have found her material card in GOLD - she's permanently missable if you didn't get it then), Hel (for Baofu - tons of elemental skills, no weaknesses), and Matsuo-sama.  The latter has Wall of Water which invalidates Maha Aques, but requires you to get the modification ability, since she's a minor arcana (easiest - get Pixie, use in fusions to end battles until she learns it, morph her to Matsuo-sama).  Jack Frost is also awesome from a defensive perspective, and from an offensive perspective (Sonic Punch and Bufu - Noriko doesn't guard Ice, only Water, so you can do ice fusions if you need).
- You can win this with starters (I've done starter challenges before), but you would hopefully have enough mutations (parametre up, mostly) to keep the stats high enough.  Since you mentioned Soothing Melody (Odysseus's mutation spell), I assume you've been doing that.  It's a good idea to end battles with fusions to force mutations.  The problem is that their spell list just doesn't keep up - high TEC is good, but the higher level spells make the biggest difference in damage from the higher multipliers, so you really need to upgrade.
- Be careful with fusions.  You can reset turns and basically get yourself lapped and smashed if you're not careful.  It may be easiest to just use single actions - the battles are turn-based, one action per round per character, but if you keep ordering fusions, you can start negating turns and get behind on actions (it can be really confusing).
- If you're having trouble with the negotiation system, you can FAQ it, but it shouldn't be too tough to figure out one or two demons that are common encounters.  Get them to sign a contract, and then keep contacting them in future battles to get blank cards.  Try for the highest level demon if you can for the most cards.
- Equipment is kind of not vital to buy yet.  What rumours did you spread?  You'll get some later about stores where you can only spread 1 or 2 rumours, and some are bad ideas.  You don't get special defense boosting armours until later, and the defense bonuses are minimal right now, so you can wait a bit.  The defense helps, but the persona makes a bigger difference (stats and affinities). 
- Have you thought about which path you'll follow? 

I've been working on updated the P2 topic as well, although that's going to take a while!  Cool stuff I've learned I want to add to it :)  P2:EP is my favourite in the series, and I still have most of it memorized (but a replay is due - I had to look up some stuff recently!).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:37:18 AM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 17, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »
I do still play games, though work and life has kept me busy.

XCOM 2 - Very fun even if it's also frustrating in about ten different ways. Anyway I finally have a good feeling for most of the game's macro systems and also finally got armour so I can stop getting my troops injured for a million years every time an alien sneezes at them. The key improvement of the game over 1 is certainly the fact that way more missions press you for time so I don't have to feel bad that I'm not doing the optimum-yet-ridiculous-boring strategy of slowing advancing with everyone on overwatch. In fact missions are more varied in general, which is cool. There are certainly a few other ways that the game could have improved on 1 but didn't, but so it goes; not gonna argue with what we got, and replay(s) are a definite with this one.

Undertale - So the game has a built-in challenge run of doing no items and initial equipment on Neutral, I figured I would try that, because apparently I enjoy having a bad time. I'll probably get the Pacifist ending after because why not, which of course has implications on how I play too. Minor spoilers I guess, I doubt the few people reading this who haven't played Undertale will care.

Papyrus - 1 reset, hey this isn't so bad yet.
Mad Dummy - 2 resets
Undyne - Almost won on my second try! ... then like a dozen resets. :(
Muffet - 5 resets
The final fixed encounter in CORE against Madjick/Astigmatism/Whimsalot - 5 resets
Mettaton - 6 resets

Anyway after that I walled super-hard on the the fire mage boss of Neutral path. I get 4HKOed and it takes well over 30 rounds to win, and a lot of his patterns are way too hard, I never even get through half his health through like 25 resets. I decide to give up on the initial equipment part and equip the apron which regens 1 health every other turn; crucial because the boss is a big ol' softy and none of his attacks can kill you unless you're at 1 HP (this is not typical of many other enemies), so the regen ensures that if you take only one hit per 2 rounds you'll win. Getting a better weapon also helps a little but not as much as you'd think because his defence is actually -30 in a subtractive system, still going to take over 25 turns probably. Anyway I've made it up to the 22nd attack once (like most bosses he's very patterned so I've gotten used to counting to know what to expect) so it'll come, but yeah it has been tough. I don't expect Flowey or Asriel to pose nearly as much trouble.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 17, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
Elf: Did you get the Alien Hunters DLC or the War of the Chosen expansion by any chance?  Mods do help a lot with changing small things that are wrong with the game; and to Firaxis's credit they added a lot of those fixes into the expansion. One thing off the top of my head: In War of the Chosen, how long a soldier is wounded is tied into how badly they were hurt. In the game when it first came out, it was random. It also adds things like the tiredness system so you rotate troops, and fixes the dumb shaken mechanic.

Civ 5- Playing the Incas right now. Terrace farms are cool.

EU4- Playing with custom countries. Turn it up to 800 points allowed in the custom menu, watch the world explode. It's still fun though.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »
No DLC/expansions yet (I feel less into those than most gamers, generally; in the specific case of XCOM games, there are a fuckton of moving parts to learn and I always fear an expansion would pile more on). Most of my complaints about XCOM2 are in areas like polish/interface/loading times so I dunno that DLC would help with those much, but glad to hear good things about 'em anyway.

Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:40 AM »
Sundered: I went on PSN to get Night in the Woods and wound up grabbing some stray Metroidvania with it. Sundered is a visually stylish platformer with good combat, several questionable design decisions, and some absolutely ruinous technical problems.

It shouldn't be any surprise by this point that item #1 above means I personally put it in the file of "worth experiencing in spite of its flaws."

We're on...another planet? Another dimension? It's not entirely clear. But humans visited and fucked everything up, as humans do. Now there's just insane robots and Lovecraftian horrors left, and one player character trying to get the hell out. You have a black lightsaberish thing for melee, a BFG for ranged, and the usual Metroidvania suite of movement abilities in double jump, air dash, wall climbing, and grapple-launching. Movement is very fluid and you can stay in the air pretty much indefinitely once you've got all powers (and for the last zone's bosses, you pretty much have to be able to do this). The mechanics are fundamentally solid and fun. There's a skill tree that's robust enough to allow for distinctly different builds on separate playthroughs (you're not going to get anywhere close to learning everything without putting in solid days of grinding). Dying is basically Dark Souls death plus. You go back to the hub, but all your exploration and progress remains, and you don't even lose your level-up currency. (The real penalty for dying is something much more insidious. We'll get to that later.) Creepy alien narrator voice is also suitably creepy.

The visual design is fantastic. I will link the first two boss fights here, both because they simultaneously demonstrate what is good and what is bad about the game, and also because that is some of the most metal fucking spritework yet created by humans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BauWQj7FIJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpnrQLfA2bQ

All those red orbs are enemy-spawning portals. All of them. Look at them, they cover the screen!

I'm playing on normal difficulty and have largely found it brutally difficult. Those bosses took me 4-6 tries and each victory ended with mad flailing at the last target in a spasmodic fit of "ohgodohgod I'm at 20% health and I'm out of healing and every inch of the screen is coated with enemy sprites please just die already!" I have no remote idea how the third boss is feasible on my build. I can't even make it halfway, and having looked up what happens at halfway, oh fuck me. I'm feeling like I made some serious tactical blunders after looking at other videos. All the cool kids ignore HP and just pump shields, apparently. I beelined for anything that would boost melee damage and didn't pay much attention to what I needed to go through to get that. I wound up with an epic health bar but shit healing, shit armor, and shit shields. Turns out playing LoT Komachi in this game isn't a healthy combination. I've also almost completely ignored the cannon. Most of the game I made up for all these problems with parasitic healing, but that isn't cutting it anymore.

I guess I'll fiddle with perks and see how much of that HP I can convert into shields. Either that or I have lots and lots of grinding ahead of me. The only other things I have unfinished are: the self-cloning miniboss that's also a platforming challenge over an instant death pit with wind effects in play; the flying keepaway boss with regenning shields; three totally apeshit endless hordes zones. None of these feel practical either.

I also may have screwed myself by declining Nyarly's generous offer of corruption. There is a pathsplit sorta thing with abilities, in that you can turn in your boss drops for enhanced skills or you can throw them into the incinerator for almost no apparent benefit at all (this also effects final bosses/endings). So you look at a video and see the bat gliding and the teleportation and the crazy purple shield, well, I don't have any of that shit. I am just going full human because science. I suspect doing this is actually stealth hard mode.

But I mentioned some...problems, right? Some maybe, just a teensy little bit, crippling technical problems?

Okay, first and most obviously, it's the load times. Oh my gooooood why is this happening in a game released in 2017. It's worse than Bloodborne at launch. I keep a book next to me for something to do after every death. It's that egregious. The game also drops frames like a motherfucker. And that isn't even a consequence of the screen being loaded up with mindboggling numbers of enemy sprites (that actually doesn't seem to cause any slowdown no matter how much crap is onscreen at once). It just...happens, periodically, throughout every stage of play, for no discernible reason. It isn't slowdown from visual effects onscreen, it's just some persistent behind the scenes fuckup that noticeably occurs even when nothing's moving onscreen but the PC. You lose like a full second of action when this recurs, and this has caused me a couple totally avoidable deaths while platforming over lethal drops or overwhelming crowds of enemies. I really do not understand how a self-respecting developer could release a game with technical problems this glaring. EDIT: maybe worth noting this is on PS4 and not PC, so could just be a shitty port, but still.

On a less technical level, there are also some disappointing design decisions in the mix. One, all enemy spawns are random. This does mean you don't know what to expect any time you head back into an old dungeon, but it can be intensely frustrating when you're just trying to revisit an old area to unlock a wing you missed before and are suddenly inconvenienced by yet another occurrence of forty fucking enemies dropping right on your face at once holy shit (this is not an exaggeration; Sundered loves to shove literal hordes of enemies on the screen at once just to prove that it can). Two, as might be surmised from the above, lor' there be backtracking, which is probably expected for the genre, but Sundered's levels are so sprawling and confusing that it can just be too much even if you aren't having to retrace your steps from constant death. There's no fast travel except in the last zone (where practically speaking you need it least due to having all the movement abilities by that point). Three, the level design itself is sub-par. The visual aspects of the levels are good (and the background vistas are impressive enough that sometimes I do just have to stop and say Wow), but the physical layout of the rooms suffers massively from copypasting. The last zone sorta gets around this, since by that point your mobility is supreme and the level was obviously built to encourage exploitation of all abilities, but the first two zones are just full of cramped, twisty, lookalike corridors. Couple those issues with high difficulty and egregious load times, and respect for player time is not at a premium here.

So, pretty game, mechanically fun to play, but undermined by a lack of technical polish and some ill-advised level design philosophy. Can only recommend if you're as hard in for the combination of exploration + Aesthetics Are a Moral Imperative as I am.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 02:55:41 AM by El Cideon »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 20, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
So I ordered undertale on my ps4. It's coming in December!

I also bought the Mario xcom game. It's fun!

I am also attempting to build a pc so I can play ff14 alongside my fiance.

Weeeeee
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #907 on: September 22, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
Sonic Mania- Cleared out the main game.  I'm nowhere near completion on Emeralds, so the special final boss eludes me.  Honestly it'd probably be faster and less frustrating to clear out blue sphere stages until I could just do Debug mode, considering I barely saw any special stage rings playing normally and have no idea where to go to mine them quickly.  Also I am balls at UFO chase.
Then again maybe they have a safety flag that doesn't let you go to the special final if you don't have all the emeralds on a save file.  Wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway so... hm.  Somewhere between Sonic 2 and base Sonic 3 I think?  I imagine playing some more to find stuff would improve my opinion a bit, but it sorta alternated a lot between cool stages with fun bosses and chaotic messes where I had no idea what even.  I did have to run the last zone a lot to actually beat the boss, since I kept getting there with just one life left and all, and once I twigged to the layout of it Act 2 wasn't TOO bad (if still kinda unfair, buuuut last zone, of course it's kinda unfair).  So likely most of the game is like that, especially the original stages.  Well, except act 1 of the desert zone, no saving that one except on pure style points.

So on that note, 6/10 I suppose.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 22, 2017, 10:11:28 PM »
You can revisit levels on a cleared file, which I guess is how you get all the emeralds/unlock frue final boss if you're not hardcore enough to get all of them on a straight run to the end (which I'm sure as hell not, those UFO levels are awfully rude).

I think I liked it more on a second run because yeah, there are bits where it's just 100% WTF do I even do, which don't hold you up on a replay. (At least not as much, Mecha Sonic fight is still dumb, Oil Ocean boss still kills me way too much.) You also get more appreciation for how complex the level design is when you find yourself taking completely different paths. S2 > SM > S3 probably a good ranking (I didn't dig S3 much).

Sundered: it turns out the answer to all problems is just massive overlevelling. I didn't really set out specifically to do this! I just grabbed the treasure hunt upgrade (lets you see where all the goodies are--worth the pickup, good tip, Jim) and then made a sweep through the map to get them all. I wound up almost but not completely clearing the skill tree and getting most perks to rank 3 in the process. Not all of them, because perk upgrades annoyingly seem to be random drops, but I got the ones that mattered. Which are: 1) convert HP to shields; 2) shields regen constantly; 3) turn healing flasks into shield boosts (also you get 2x the usual max, what the fuck); 4) some offense upgrade, raw ATK or crit boost are probably equal for effect by endgame considering they have the same downside.

Stack those things onto nigh full stats and you are virtually unkillable. I went back to the third boss and didn't even have to heal. I felt bad for cheesing it, because it's a cool fight. I don't feel bad for cheesing the final boss, though. He still got me a couple times--there's just too much knockback and too much tracking shit going on near the end of that. Hope you upgraded the cannon! I was thinking I may do a corruption run at some point because hey easy platinum but then I remind myself trophies are a dumb reason to do anything. I dunno.

The elder shard fragment in the Holy City is just the most obtuse, how-did-anyone-find-this thing (hidden room that the treasure hunt upgrade doesn't show you) and it's blocking true final bosses/endings. Cute, guys.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #909 on: September 22, 2017, 10:24:26 PM »
Yeah, I reran Green Hill to explore for giant rings (and build up lives in case I did want to play more seriously) and only found 1.  But I dunno if that's because they didn't install very many new places to hide them and later levels have more, or if I'm bad at this in my old age and should just focus on the Spheres completion.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 22, 2017, 10:56:16 PM »
I am pretty sure there's one giant ring per level, they're just hidden well enough that your odds of consistently finding them on one run through a stage are not high.

Over two and a half runs (haven't finished with Knuckles), I'm at a little over 75% silver medals on spheres. Pretty sure the remainder are all too tricky for me. I unlocked debug mode, though! I have no idea how to use it.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 23, 2017, 03:06:22 AM »
For those of you that liked Final Fantasy Tactics for whatever ungodly reason, you might enjoy Alchemist Code on mobile.  It's pretty much a straight ripoff homage to FFT.  The global game is only soft launched in Sweden at the moment, but you can download the .apk and it runs fine.  https://apkpure.com/the-alchemist-code/sg.gumi.alchemistww

Characters have a total of 3 jobs, and they can mix and match skillsets from those.  The difficulty is surprisingly high for a mobile game.  Enemy mages hurt a lot.  Letting Ramza Logi die is a game over.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 23, 2017, 05:21:34 AM »
For those of you trash babies that like FFT here is my leftovers.  #FF5LIFE

I am offended.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 23, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
Peasants.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 23, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
The art direction is so far below FFT though

FFT Oracle SCC: Chapter 3
I've never used oracles in FFT before, really. Now they're my favourite class

FF5 Knight SCC: Just autobattled past Byblos. He didn't counter?
This SCC is the purest autobattle smash thing there is, I've only had to stop autobattling for Liquid Flame
The iOs version looks so awful, and the worst part has to be the animations - they worked for small FF5 sprites, but look completely wrong when they're on those larger filtered ugly sprites
Every cutscene is terrible and I want sceneskip + the ability to speed up text

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 24, 2017, 02:57:17 AM »
For someone who doesn't even know what an apk file is before googling it, can you actually run that on a normal Android phone or do you need to use an emulator?

Unless they changed him in iOS (which is possible?), Byblos never countering with Protect is super-duper-lucky. He has a 1/3 chance to use it every time you hit him until he falls below 18% HP at which point he starts having a 2/3 chance to counter with Drain instead.

I got Steam FF5 last summer though I forgot I had done that when this year's fiesta rolled around and ended up playing on the ol' GBA emulator instead. I personally think it looks a hell of a lot nicer than SNES/PSX/GBA but that lack of speedup is going to be a doozy for fiesta runs.

Undertale - Beaten both of the main two endings with items. Gameplay notes (and some story comments, so spoilers):

Asgore was something like 30-40 resets after the 20+ where I tried without the initial armour. I discovered eventually that talking three times is overall worth it; fight took around 23 rounds. Towards the end I finally started to be able to dodge the hardest-to-avoid attacks over half the time which helped, but yeesh. Obviously the big roadblock of the run.

Flowey was beaten without any resets! Only boss of the playthrough this is true for, besides Toriel. I spared him this time, since I didn't on my first playthrough. I don't really think sparing him makes good narrative sense to be quite honest but the game may disagree since it gives you a hint towards Pacifist if you do. Sans acknowledges my no-item playthrough with a "did you ever grab a bite to eat?" Wonder if he still says that if you eat the food he gets you at Grillby's.

I had something like 3-4 resets on Lemon Bread (one of the almagamates). I died around 7 times to Asriel, though your milage may vary whether those count as resets or not, given the way the fight works.

XCOM 2 - Game's definitely gotten easier as I'm more on top of it now, as tended to happen with XCOM 1 as well in my experience. Starting to get the third tier of weapons, though I don't really have enough supplies at the moment. Fortunately my current weapon tier is sufficing pretty well at the moment. It remains to be seen if the lategame enemies will have the push that Sectopods and Ethereals had in the first game.

Maybe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 24, 2017, 05:09:54 AM »
For someone who doesn't even know what an apk file is before googling it, can you actually run that on a normal Android phone or do you need to use an emulator?

Yes, just download it and it should be in the Downloads folder on your phone.  You can open it and it'll install itself there.

@Fenrir:  I know, they have noses, wtf?

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 24, 2017, 05:16:53 AM »

You would probably need to change a setting on your phone to allow it to install, but it would run on a normal Android phone.  apk files are basically just what the device downloads from Google Play or wherever to install things.

Changing the setting requires you to go into Settings, then Security, then find something that mentions allowing installation from unknown sources.  The wording on the setting is different on different devices but you should be able to find it. 

Once you've got that done, what Captain K said basically.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 24, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »
Holy shit Yakko lives.

I tried out Alchemist Code and while the gameplay is pretty obviously FFT-inspired it suffers from other issues that prevented me from getting into it. Combat pacing is really slow, though that may just be my phone, but it's slower than FFT which wasn't already fast and I tend to want quicker gaming sessions on mobile. Also as Fenrir noted the aesthetics aren't similar and it is also annoyingly anime as fuck, in the cutscene/dialogue sense.

Gameplay definitely looks neat but those things prevented me from garnering much interest in getting farther than a couple of story fights.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #919 on: September 26, 2017, 05:29:56 AM »
Disgaea 5:

So I'm on the final chapter of the maingame story and the gameplay continues to be quite engaging and the quality of life upgrades are still keeping the game exciting for me.

But my feelings on the narrative are extremely bitter. As a long-time fan of Disgaea and N1 in general, D5 really misses the mark for me. I know N1 can do good serious stories like Soul Nomad and Witch+100Knight. And I know they can do funny like Disgaea 1 and Makai Kingdom. And I know they can do comedic adventure stories like La Pucelle.

Disgaea 5 tries to be a little of all of these and fails at all of them in the process.

At the outset of the game, some of the characters vaguely resembled Disgaea-style characters. Quirky, deeply flawed, but loving it, or at least over-the-top enough to keep it interesting. It's notable that most people cite the more subdued Disgaea characters as the weakest (Yukimaru, Almaz, Artina, for example). Disgaea 5 STARTS with a cast of subdued characters, and by the endgame literally all of them 'overcome their flaws' (AKA, the only thing that made any of them stand out, usually not even much of a flaw to begin with).

This might not be so bad. After all, technically every Disgaea game has the characters growing a bit from their original impression. The difference is that none of the other Disgaea games felt the need to constantly point it out. It's almost like the entire cast is Flonne, except boring. And no one calls them out for being a little too touchy-feely.

For contrast, Laharl was mostly a joke for the entire game, but they squeezed in a few moments of in-your-face growth with the holy Pendant that burns anyone with an evil heart. At first, he's burned by it, complains, but is happy that 'his heart is still evil'. By the end of the game, he picks up the Pendant and it doesn't burn him. They don't LINGER on this. They don't sit around the campfire congratulating him on 'overcoming his weak heart'. It just happens, and he's too caught up in the action going on in-game to really reference it. The significance of it is really clear without the kumbayas.

Disgaea 5, on the other hand, has each of the protagonists overcome 'bragging', 'depression over saying something mean to her parents', 'self-centered-ness', 'lying', 'self-doubt', and 'fear of being poor'.
First of all, what petty problems for a Demon to have, especially in a series like Disgaea, where these are usually considered 'normal' Demon traits, and it takes something much worse on the Moral Event Horizon to bother needing to change oneself.
Secondly, each of these problems takes up a whole 5-part chapter unto itself, where the beginning of the chapter starts with something like 'I wonder who's gonna learn a lesson today' and ends with 'My HEART has grown!' (It's like some phantom thieves invaded their palace or something...)

It just doesn't fit with how Demons/Netherworlds have been portrayed in all the previous N1 games. I could have accepted ONE character like this (either Killia or Usalia play this part well), but the whole cast are basically the most cut-and-paste JRPG protagonists ever when they are supposed to be over-the-top hams and mischievous devils.

Pardon the Steven Universe reference, but the issue is that I signed up for Disgaea and instead I got Crying Breakfast Friends.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 26, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
Pardon the Steven Universe reference

how dare u

Egglia - Secretly I should have spent in game money and bought food stuff and got some spirits.  Would recommend instead of levelling the base ones for ages.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
Project Diva Future Tone: All songs cleared on hard.

Doki Doki Litearture Club: My heart indeed went doki doki. A lovely little visual novel - and totally free too!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 26, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
Doki Doki Literature Club

Very nice VN, free, made by a professional Smash player.  Well written and strongly designed.  Took me about 3 hours - I read quickly though so maybe more like 5 for those not familiar with VNs.  It has a poetry writing minigame.  Cute and sweet at the start, although it does go into some heavier themes and earn that warning at the bottom of the page later on.    Best experienced unspoiled beyond that.  Probably a solid 8/10 with some nice touches that spoke to me personally (and I think Andrew liked it even more than I did!)

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 27, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »
Well, except act 1 of the desert zone, no saving that one except on pure style points.

I finished Knuckles mode. Funny thing, Knuckles gets an entirely different zone and boss for Mirage Saloon 1, just because he can't be arsed to fly the damn plane (and who can blame him for that?) Also a different act 2 boss for lava caves; not sure if that's always true or if I just blundered into it by pure luck (it's in a shaft the other two can't climb). I'm also up to 28/32 silver medals for bonus stages. After rerunning those remaining four so many times over three runs through the game, if I can't get 'em by now, I doubt I ever could.

I was thinking I may do a corruption run at some point because hey easy platinum but then I remind myself trophies are a dumb reason to do anything. I dunno.

Obviously this is a thing that I am doing now. Game is much easier and much faster second time through, of course. I am at the final boss now and I don't even what the hell am I supposed to. Tried it twice, ragequit for the day. Is the dive attack always an instant kill or did he just drag me into the death pit? The entire arena is over a death pit and I don't think there are any platforms to stand on. You have to be able to stay airborne the entire fight. Okay, I am going to go have another grind session to max damage so I can at least minimize the amount of time I have to be perfect platformer. Also how is the final boss massively more grotesque on the path where you're working for the Lovecraftian deity?

Anyway, corruption mode is pretty different. Science mode opens a whole different sector of the skill tree at the bottom, which includes a fourth perk slot (which is a huge bonus and goes a long way towards balancing things out). The tradeoff as eldritch horror's lackey is mostly better mobility (which is why the corruption final boss is a 100% platformer challenge). Also just noticed that corrupting abilities rewrites the flavor text on the skill tree, which is a nice touch.

Still a clusterfuck of a game, but damn, those sprites.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 29, 2017, 12:10:06 PM »

XCOM 2 - Game's definitely gotten easier as I'm more on top of it now, as tended to happen with XCOM 1 as well in my experience. Starting to get the third tier of weapons, though I don't really have enough supplies at the moment. Fortunately my current weapon tier is sufficing pretty well at the moment. It remains to be seen if the lategame enemies will have the push that Sectopods and Ethereals had in the first game.

You have a lot of options late; definitely felt like the early game is the hardest. Though that said, you do not want to fuck around with Gatekeepers or Sectopods, they will wreck you if you let them get turns. (Mimic Beacons are your friend)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...