Register

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49861 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #825 on: July 31, 2017, 07:08:23 AM »
Oracle is easiest to unlock of those options and you can turn people into chickens.

Edit - Fly students to a foreign country with Student Council members as chaperone to backfill Teachers is the September thing that I think is broad enough not to spoiler text.

Will edit in what I expect the track is.

Edit - https://youtu.be/KX5Jmfmkgx0 Beneath the Mask.  Even after hearing it for hours I still had it in rotation for weeks.  It really is just that damn good.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:16:59 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 31, 2017, 07:20:21 AM »
It would truly be terrible if a second-year attempted to suborn the reliable third-year chaperones into neglecting their duties with an offer of tasty, tasty garlic shrimp and silent love.  Or, Amaterasu forbid, a teacher.

Beneath the Mask is good times, yes.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 31, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
Can't sleep, so...  nitpicking.   (big spoilers post-November, but haven't done Palace 7 yet)

* Just to say so up front, I liked The Twist!  While a tad too complicated for its own good, it is still considerably less Rube Goldbergy than the Phoenix Wright equivalents, and I appreciate the narrative owning that some parts were just gonna be plain out of their control, but let's hope for the best, balls of steel.  I like that WAY more than "haha we had it ALL PLANNED OUT, even the parts that clearly we shouldn't be able to be sure about."

* This is definitely a nitpick, because it's explainable either way, but earlier in the game...  the other Palaces have had a tendency to crumble or explode upon theft of the treasure, and you get informed you can't go back to them if you try.  Maybe the "rest" of the cognitive world stays the same, I guess?  I'd have been happier had they thrown in a line like "we didn't actually steal your heart, you changed it on your own," similar to Moon rank 7/8, and then add "besides we didn't really want to blow up that cognitive world yet."

* Okay, I buy that Futaba can get 'em both into the Metaverse via the nav (I liked her explanation about how she couldn't hack the Nav, but she could just make the phone think the button was pressed, so same diff.)?  And I buy that either the Nav works across dimensions, or she was already in the Metaverse herself, and use that to get Sae back quickly and explain what's up.  But...  but...  how did Black Mask get back to the real world?  It'd have been hilarious if he was wandering around Sae's head thinking it was reality, and meanwhile in reality everyone is wondering about the mysterious disappearance of him, but nope, reality thinks he's fine.  So...  somehow he seamlessly came back on a timer and didn't notice?

* Related to the above, shouldn't Sae be freaking out for her own safety after the SIU Director dies?  There's a psychopathic killer on the loose, she hinted she knows more than she should to him, they're tying up loose ends by killing loose ends, and her Shadow just got its ass kicked and has their secrets known.  Plus, there's already precedent for Black Mask kicking a Shadow while it's down, in Palace 5!  To a lesser extent, Sojiro as well.  I'd have kinda liked it if the Party said "we are forcibly gonna try and awaken Personas in you for your own safety so that this trick won't work and you know where your Shadow is", or at least tried to figure out the equivalent of Shadow Witness Protection.  Even if this totally failed, it'd have added a bit more tension.

* In the realm of things I totally buy: the conspiracy not noticing the missing bodies.  Everyone assumes that some OTHER dark conspiracy member already cleaned the scene, problem solved.  (The guard trusting Sae...  that's a bit more of a stretch, but sure, the Thieves made a huge gamble.)  The characters also correctly point out that people not freaking out about the suicide is still weird, and it should still be a scandal, so WTF, so I'll give the narrative that for the moment, weird things are fine as long as the characters agree it's weird.

* I don't fault the narrative for this at all because the plot that actually happens makes a better story, but sometimes simple is best?  Why not just corner Black Mask in the Metaverse and surprise attack him, 7 to 1?  He DOES go on to kill someone else later on, so leaving him alive longer has a cost, even if it makes finding the "master" harder!

* Jury's out on this, but Black Mask is making a huge error if he doesn't bother to spy on the other Thieves at least a little bit.  A little tricky since the game doesn't show the other characters' escape, and maybe they all acted like they'll lay low for awhile, but surely he should be scared of them doing something desperate, even in the real world, after he shows his true colors publicly?  Oh well, I'll see.  If he really is just massively neglecting them because Joker was so critical, that's fine, just some massive arrogance-crossed-into-foolishness.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:43:40 AM by SnowFire »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
Nah I actually linked to the best P5 music, Price

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pbwljew1UbE

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
P5 - Yeah, beat it over the weekend. 8/10, I suppose. Failed to complete Hierophant (sadly, but goddamn, being walled by a hard time constraint, a 5-stat check AND a Memento request? Holy -shit-), Tower, Hanged Man (also sadly, it's my favorite Hanged Man thread in the series from what I saw) and Emperor. As for the game, it could've bended up higher if it didn't sorta sizzle out by the very last legs. The ending -seriously- sprawls for way, WAY too long and I'm not sure there was a need for that minidungeon at the end. The SMT angels reference was cute, I suppose, but the whole sequence was sorta... unnecessary? Yeah. Also, final boss was a wuss. Char Aznable wasn't great either, though pretty durable, but my assessment just remains entirely true: your mitigation is just way over the top in this game. Once I fused Trumpeter for Char (it's a L59 fusion? WELP, do NOT mind if I do), the game was pretty much over. I didn't even bother to fuse Yoshitsune, which would've cost a fortune (a postgame-levelled fusion that requires ANOTHER postgame-levelled fusion among its components? Are you -shitting- me? Yeah, I'm so not allowing it in the DL, I even ended up the game at lower levels than OK and I certainly didn't skimp on fighting trash. In fact, his levels all around for the topic are kind of slightly higher than I ended up at, but it was really no biggie. As I said, the mitigation is so -dumb-. Both Rakukaja and Tarunda halving damage is insane and, while Sukukaja feels less unbalanced than it was in P4, where it felt like it boosted evade by well over 40% (might've been a straight addition component rather than the 1.5x multiplier on base evade granted in P5, iunno), Sukunda is -nuts-, halving accuracy and stacking multiplicatively with Sukukaja - i.e. stack those and you're the wind. Hell, I rarely even bothered with Masuku because just Debilitate was GOOD ENOUGH. Regardless, some character gameplay thoughts.

Akira/Joker - Consistently felt like the best PC, but never felt gamebreaking like Yu or Makoto/Minato did, but maybe that was just because I never picked Yoshitsune. The fact the really stupid Personas are all past endgame levels also adds to this. Frankly, feels like a good move, it does emphasize the worth of your teammates a bit further. Could do everything well, including damage, but having the extra utility made him the best PC rather than just being overall stupid everywhere. Not being your -only- source of Tarunda also helped in the overall balance. Who'd thunk?

Ryuji/Skull - Kinda terrible in the early game, comes into his own in a big way late. In the beginning, his skills sorta suck and Thunder is consistently the game's worst element, being often resisted and not often enough hitting weakness. Hower, once he gets past L50, he just -soars-. Matarukaja is seriously godly as usual and he outpaces the -other- physical-reliant PC at that point. Ended up being the offensive backbone of my team endgame even though I never got God's Hand, Matarukaja and Charge alone led to some mean Megaton Raids. This is quite important now that the game doesn't punish PCs for staying on the bench. Took Atlus long enough to stop being dumb.

Morgana/Mona - Benchwarming heal battery. The Thunder weakness is terrible and the durability sucks. Wind also isn't anywhere near the god element it was in P4. Recarm/Samarecarm are nice thoughts and Sukunda/Masukunda also help, but on average it felt more practical to just carry Personas with those skills. Round robin revival was still pretty valuable for the Palace 4 boss, at least, that's quite possibly one of the toughest battles in the maingame (fights toe-to-toe for that moniker with Palace 2 boss).

Ann/Panther - Quietly arguably your best non-Joker PC for nearly the whole game. She's pretty much an improved Mitsuru build, running a Red Mage-like array of options off game-best MAG/LUC and a good element (fire's almost as good as nuclear and psychic for hitting weaknesses). For starters, having Tarunda from the first Palace master onwards alone earns you a spot on your boss-fighting A-team for pretty much forever and she, besides game-best magical damage (which gets boosts and amps earlier than everybody else's), she also gets status options for when fire isn't an option. I used Dormina (sleep's the least immuned status in the game and it's HORRENDOUSLY accurate. All ST status options are, but Ann stands out for being the only non-Joker PC to get accurate, spammable status options to play with) to control nasty single targets all the way up and -including- Palace 7. Tentarafoo isn't nearly as good (only 65% accuracy and a lot more enemies immune it), but it saw play in the midgame as well. She -does- kinda dwindle late, when Debilitate comes into play and fire isn't as useful as it is earlier on, but she still has the best backloaded damage (Focus off game-best MAG!) and Matarunda does have use because there are more relevant AoE fights than you'd think - heck, even the last boss is among them, though I didn't bring Ann there.

Yusuke/Fox/Inari - Man, talk about sizzling out. Yusuke starts out pretty great, with better physical skills than Ryuji off better speed and Ice is an amazing element early (and honestly always good, really). Problem is his skills start sizzling out later on and his buffing options are more defensively geared - not to mention Sukukaja requires Sukunda synergy to really shine. Fire weakness also sucks ass. I just stopped using him entirely by the time Palace 4 ended.

Makoto/Queen - In spite of learning her healing skills later than Morgana and not getting revival ever, Makoto's pretty much the reason the kitty doesn't really get to shine and ultimately bashes heads with Ann to decide who's the second-best PC. Game-best stat spread on a healer is really nice and nuclear's a great element to specialize in. She starts with Diarama (getting it earlier than Morgana!) and Dekaja is often oddly useful. By the time you get to Palace 5, though, she gets Marakukaja and holy shit is that skill dumb in conjunction with Tarunda. Marakukaja+Ma/Tarunda made me feel frankly -immortal- and stacking that on a PC with good stats and a nice dedicated healing skillset is just nuts. Getting the status healing spell for the nastiest ailments also helps. By the end, Makoto felt nearly SMRPG Toadstool-level good at keeping my party alive. Her only problem is taking a bit of a while for her damage to develop, but with that package, I'm not complaining.

Futaba/Oracle - Best party navigator in the series. The random MT buffs/healing/SP healing come in REAL handy and they proc often enough to matter (you'll always see it at least once during boss fights, often twice, and they feel quite rigged in your favor - she seems to actually consider which buffs you -already- have in your party. MT Charge AND Focus gets simply ridiculous). The random Hold-Up at the beginning of a fight is also great and saved me from quite a few resets.

Haru/Noir - Looking at the skillset from the stat topic, I thought pretty long and hard "how does she end up not being kinda trashy?" and welp, who'd have thunk, she's quietly oddly -good-. Psychic is a good element to have and she's actually the hardest PC to wall due to having two solid offensive options. She's also silently your best physical slugfesting PC due to being the only character (besides Joker) who gets phys-boosting passives and having a great mult on her gun attack - oh which also happens to be MT. Triple Down is a bit of a risky move due to sketchy accuracy, but it pays off on average and its main downside is easy to mitigate on boss fights with Sukukaja/Sukunda. IF you want, you can also synergize it with Sukukaja against randoms, but that feels kinda unnecessary. Later on, One-Shot Kill is -amazing- and can pump up really shiny numbers with that crit rate and random baton pass strings (because I obviously gave it to Akira too, of course. In hindsight, I should've used Revolution in tandem with it more, four-character baton pass shenanigans with zero weaknesses involved can get downright NUTS). Tetrakarn and Makarakarn are niche in use, though Makara felt invaluable against Forneus on Palace 7 (it reflects status spells!). Finally, her status healing also saw -a lot- of play. Ended up being one of my best PCs against randoms and very solid against bosses too.

Igor's weird as fuck VA being a PLOT POINT was pretty much the most hilarious thing in the overall arc. Clever and in-your-face at the same time. THIS spoiler was really cool, even though the gameplay execution sorta meandered too much.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:34:06 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 31, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »

Jo'ou's thoughts look pretty good as to character balance, although I'd hype late-game Yusuke slightly more (for all that lategame barely matters) and Ann slightly less (not having Tarunda for the first boss fight when I did it, durability woes even if better than the cat's).  Pretty minor though.  Oh, and if Joker counts as "more balanced" as a main, I don't even want to imagine what P4 Yu was like.  (I already know that P3 Protagonist was insane, at least, although that was in a game with uncontrollable AI, so having all the power be in the one character you can rely on makes sense.)  Certainly all of Palace 6, if the entire rest of the party could do nothing but defend & join in AOAs, just having Joker go first and hit all the enemy weaknesses so you can set up an AOA generally wins the fight on the spot, or use Down Shot on the rare enemies without a weakness (e.g. Norn) and THEN AOA or demand money or whatever.  And that's without setting him up with Auto-Matarukaja, which is just insane overkill.

And yeah, Tarunda + Marakukaja is absolutely insane.  Rakukaja alone has niche use, and making it MT is just insane.  Both of those could have been nerfed to half effectiveness and they'd still be useful (and then hit Palace 1 boss's damage a bit since holy shit taking him on without in-game Tarunda, bad times).

Oracle is honestly a bad game design thing IMO, I wish they had flat removed the in-battle effects.  I respect that they wanted to make the character feel useful, but roulette wheel super-buffs is, like, reverse SMT bullshit - surprise good luck that instantly wins the fight rather than surprise bad luck crits that lose you the fight.  If she only had dungeon sustain, emergency shift moved to like an L2 Confidant ability (it's cool and a reasonable guard against SMT bullshit), and Final Guard kept as an L10 Confidant reward, it'd be fine. (Also, I liked Morgana better as a shot-caller anyway.)

I didn't find the Palace 4 boss THAT bad, don't recall very many deaths, so revival is eh whatever (+ Death's revival items are starting to get very affordable at that point).  That said, that is Morgana's final shining moment of competence, since that boss sports Wind attacks (resisted!), MT damage (MT healing!), and MT dizzy-infliction (Me Patra!), so pretty much designed to make the cat fat.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 31, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
And yeah, Tarunda + Marakukaja is absolutely insane.  Rakukaja alone has niche use, and making it MT is just insane.  Both of those could have been nerfed to half effectiveness and they'd still be useful (and then hit Palace 1 boss's damage a bit since holy shit taking him on without in-game Tarunda, bad times).

FUN FACT: In Persona 4, Tarunda and Rakukaja were slightly above half the reduction in damage compared to Persona 5 (29% damage reduction each). This made them quite good, but not completely broken, and quite honestly, the game's bosses were also better for it. I have no idea what the hell Atlus was thinking when they buffed both Raku and Tarunda the way they did. Maybe they were trying to compensate for the Sukukaja nerf? But then, Sukukaja+Sukunda are still completely obscene. You can count the amount of relevant ITE attacks in the game with a single hand.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 31, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
Also...
I didn't even bother to fuse Yoshitsune, which would've cost a fortune (a postgame-levelled fusion that requires ANOTHER postgame-levelled fusion among its components? Are you -shitting- me? Yeah, I'm so not allowing it in the DL, I even ended up the game at lower levels than OK and I certainly didn't skimp on fighting trash. In fact, his levels all around for the topic are kind of slightly higher than I ended up at, but it was really no biggie.

Yeah, sadly, much as I am in favor of random Makoto favoritism, Judge of the Dead is looking real expensive too and not likely to make it to DL legality for me.  :(  I already blew 500K on the Roland Medal and don't have tons of reserve cash lying around, and JotD requires an L77, L78, and L81 component for an L87 Michael Persona, which you then immediately throw away rather than use on Joker?  The hell?  I'm not THAT bored to be willing to Confuse-grind Mementos bosses forever just to kill lategame challenge even more.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 31, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »
Also...
I didn't even bother to fuse Yoshitsune, which would've cost a fortune (a postgame-levelled fusion that requires ANOTHER postgame-levelled fusion among its components? Are you -shitting- me? Yeah, I'm so not allowing it in the DL, I even ended up the game at lower levels than OK and I certainly didn't skimp on fighting trash. In fact, his levels all around for the topic are kind of slightly higher than I ended up at, but it was really no biggie.

Yeah, sadly, much as I am in favor of random Makoto favoritism, Judge of the Dead is looking real expensive too and not likely to make it to DL legality for me.  :(  I already blew 500K on the Roland Medal and don't have tons of reserve cash lying around, and JotD requires an L77, L78, and L81 component for an L87 Michael Persona, which you then immediately throw away rather than use on Joker?  The hell?  I'm not THAT bored to be willing to Confuse-grind Mementos bosses forever just to kill lategame challenge even more.

WELP, that's ANOTHER thing I'm not allowing in the DL! Ryuji's Auto-Taru stick is pretty simple (sacrifice a Hanuman, which is trash you can find in both Palace 7 and Mementos, so it's essentially free) and Mona's Killer Collar has the decency to be storebought, at least. I'll also have to check the reqs on Ann's Snow Queen Whip.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 31, 2017, 09:42:24 PM »
Snow Queen Whip's a Casino shadow, so I have it already!  Not so bad.  (And even if it wasn't, it's ~L50ish, so cheap to fuse.)  Like all electric chair stuff, it's possibly a tad obscure, but that's it as far as legality issues.  Certainly makes Ann happier facing ice mages in the DL.

Really I think the Fair / Unfair split I proposed is still gonna work decently - stuff that requires Electric Chairing >L75 Personas, even if POSSIBLE due to Strength 10, is going to be very expensive and difficult to kit your entire team with.  OK does have a pretty cool chart of estimated costs for certain Electric Chair items in a late reply in the topic, although note it's only the last fusion in the price, and there's often a big expense in getting the components, and it's assuming you're only fusing it when you're L75, which means that getting the pickup more rapidly huuuuugely inflates the price.

Edit: Levels for item creation Personas:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6888.msg194147#msg194147
Prices:
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6888.msg194624#msg194624

Edit #2: Does the game remove the once-per-day electric chair limit in the final dungeon?  It'd be mildly annoying if you can only get a single late-game item, since I know that dungeon 8 is in a very short timeframe after palace 7.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:10:15 PM by SnowFire »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 01, 2017, 01:21:38 AM »
I haven't tried, honestly. I don't even know if you can access the Velvet Room after the big spoilers happen and you drop into the real real final dungeon. For equips, I'll go for the baseline of "no equips from Personas above L75" and likely no personas above L75 that require -other- personas above L75. Also, most likely my limit for personas is going to be at around L80, anything that takes over 100k yen to fuse feels prohibitive to me. The cast overall likes this interp (well, Makoto -not so much-, but she gets by with the whole "tanky healer with decent damage and solid speed" deal. Akira isn't very happy over losing OHKO-level damage on the first turn, but like I'm going to take pity on post-2000 Persona mains.

EDIT: Ann doesn't like losing the Despair gun much, but she still gets insanely accurate Brainwash anyway - which is as good as death running off her skillset if the enemy immunes Sleep but not Brainwash. If the enemy -doesn't- immune sleep, god help that poor soul, technical hit Focus'd Blazing Hell is like 1.5x PC HP.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:32:38 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 05, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
VH2: The game's mostly been a breeze since mid-chapter 3, and coincidentally that's when the plot's kicked up to being pretty interesting. I have to keep going back and checking that this game was actually made 2 years AFTER FFT, because in many ways the plot, gameplay, music, and even map design sometimes is very reminiscent of a proto-FFT. Instead it just ends up being a FFT-ish game that clearly didn't have the budget for it. But man do the graphics throw me.

The last two maps have been very fun but mean. End of Chapter 3 has a map with 3 boss characters... and a random faceless unit in the very back out of the way that you can't afford to bumrush. It will proceed to resurrect said boss characters when you kill them, and has enough MP to revive two of them. They only revive to half HP, have no healing, and once they run out of MP the bosses themselves aren't too bad, but they are pretty scary until that point. This is the first SRPG I can think of that will actually revive bosses.

First map of Chapter 4 has the classic "MC is isolated in one corner of map, must meet up with rest of force. MC death = game over" setup. VH2's particular combat system makes it different enough to be interesting though.

Glad I finally went back on track to finishing this. It's not gonna get above a 6/10, but it's certainly been worth playing

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 10, 2017, 06:08:49 AM »
Does the dl have a server they play on in ff14?

Seems the missus wants to play. We have friends on adamantoise so we started a free trial on there.

Well, one of us gets to play. We need a pc so the other can play alongside the other.

So far it's fun!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 10, 2017, 10:22:14 AM »
I'm on Ultros, but have barely been playing lately and will likely unsubscribe soon.

The DL presence is mostly on Excalibur, though I think Laggy and maybe some others recently migrated somewhere else (I forget where).

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 10, 2017, 06:59:53 PM »
Tal, Kappa and myself are on Balmung, but it isn't open for transfers. It's on the Aether data center.

I dunno who's on Excalibur nowadays other than Meeple.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: August 10, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
Mei and I are also on Excalibur.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:43 PM »
Is Excalibur even open for transfers? I remember back when I had an alt there I could only get in by logging in right after maintenance at like 5AM. (This is when I wake up anyway.)

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 10, 2017, 11:17:58 PM »
Dang. Everyone is so spread out!

I think I'm on the aether data center at least.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:37 AM »
VH2: Right before the end sequence of fights now. The game's been easy enough that I said why not to getting the Vandal Hearts. Then I looked at the requirements, adding 18 more fights to my list... ugh. Eh. Whatever.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 12, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
Fire Emblem Echoes - god lukas is so gorgeous, too bad he's an armor knight
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 14, 2017, 02:54:59 AM »
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - Beat the remake for the PS4 over the weekend. The graphic and sound revamp is simply -wonderful- and the base game aged amazingly well. Real nice little romp (and holy shit this must've been REVOLUTIONARY in 1989, it's essentially a Metroidvania running multiple characters with quite distinct playstyles and surprisingly great design, ESPECIALLY considering when it was made), I'm currently just doing the dragon refights now that I got all the Charm Stones so I can have the money to buy Crystal Gear. And FAQ where the hell is the equip I missed so I can have a complete file. Afterwards, I may play hard mode.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:11:40 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 16, 2017, 01:52:10 AM »
VH2: Finished. I'm... rather impressed? The way the game climbs from a borderline 5/6 game to solidly 7/10 in the last two chapters is amazing. It really does devote time to  everyone's motivations, goals, etc, even if they're petty or dumb. Everyone has a reason to be acting in the war, from the various NPCs to the other nations you only hear about. It's all wrapped up pretty tight honestly and I'll give them props. Hell, during the credits, every single PC gets an epilogue consisting of 2-3 paragraphs detailing what they did after the war. It's shocking. I can think of only three major NPC characters associated with the party that are kinda left hanging, but I can understand why they're left out (since they can die during the game based on your decisions). Their arcs are pretty much complete anyway.

The battle system also tips around the same time the plot starts taking off, so while I was a little uninterested in the game at first, once I hit that point I ended up finishing it in a couple weeks, rather than the 5 months it took me to get to it (Granted, interrupted by P5). It actually becomes pretty fun leaning the AI and trying to outsmart it. The learning curve is a little frustrating at first, since while it's not difficult, the penalties for getting it wrong can be steep (Whoops, I whiffed and the enemy moved and killed the MC, giving Game Over).

Getting the best ending involves getting the Vandal Hearts sword, which adds about 10 hours to the game. THAT is rather batty in it's obscurity, but it's actually not as annoying as getting Vandalier in VH1. FAQs make it pretty easy, just gotta grind it out, and a lot of the maps are pretty fun, since they're mostly reached in the second half of the game. Otherwise it just comes down to answering two questions right during the game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:53:46 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 21, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »
D5C: Yay! I finally start posting about games I'm playing...and I need to finish P5 and a hundred other games. Darn my ADD. Anyways, it's my VERY first Disgaea game (note not my first NI game. that was Rhapsody and was a horrible mistake). So far in game, I have gotten to chapter 2 then spent an hour trying to kill myself to get the first bad ending. Also decided to do the DLC from D4. That...that was fun. And painful. Mostly painful, but I beat the first part of the scenerio! Dear gods save me from my stupidity. If there was a harder mode, I'd force myself to do death runs.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 21, 2017, 07:34:08 PM »
Tales of Maj'Eyal orc campaign: beat.  The deadpan comedic writing masquerading as Very Serious High Fantasy was a delight.  Tinker generics are a blast.  Sawbutcher was pretty fun.  Gunslinger was too aggravating and micromanagey to get going.  Psyshot's ability trees make my head hurt just looing at them.  Bet it's very cool, but hard to grasp.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 26, 2017, 11:03:36 PM »
Hmm, still have P5 wrap-up to yabber about, but in quicker updates...

Shovel Knight - Beaten.  Well, the Shovel of Hope campaign at least.  It's good!  I have caught up to 2014!

Per Fenrir's comments years ago, if I have a complaint, it's that enemy damage isn't high enough.  It was pretty rare to die to damage.  Everybody knows that the REAL way to die is gonna be pits & spikes in these NES-esque games, so there's no particular harm in cranking up enemy damage some.  The only time I repeatedly died to damage was the True Final Boss, which destroyed me 7 times before I figured out vaguely what you were supposed to do in it.  (Ah, the wonder of death counts:
https://goo.gl/photos/j8kr9sHUhidqguRJ9
)

A quick glance at the speedrun seems to show the "older" and slower speedrun being kinda cooler, with lots of item tricks, key invulnerability transitions, etc.  The newer speedrun is much more optimized run right a lot and just shovel your way through so you don't even need to buy stuff.  Alas.