Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49788 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #750 on: July 03, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
Elf: Fair enough.  I suppose you have a strong enough point - which I agree with - that the narrative's desire to play up the softer side of Berkut risks blurring the fact that he does Really Evil Shit.  Sigh.

Persona 5
I'm at Palace 4.
* Palace 2....   OK was right, grinding a single level did the trick.  Getting MT damage moves on Ryuji & Fox did absolute wonders.  That and realizing Ann is *trash garbage* in that fight and should ride the bench.  You just aren't sustaining your way through, but blitzing is viable.  MagicFanatic mentioned that he won at L16, but it involved a demon negotiation rare item drop I didn't have that was Masukukaja in a can + get some clutch dodges off.  Makes sense.  Anyway, once you survive the first phase, it's mostly all downhill for that boss, although I suppose Joker could potentially require emergency coffee (I didn't).

* Palace 3...  okay, the RANDOMS are badass as usual (I died a good number of times...  surprise Angels blow you up with an Almighty Self Destruct OHKO if you let them get a turn...  Orthus doggies are terrible death if you don't ambush them and have Fox in front...  Onis can just Rampage hax with critz to take out Joker if you don't have phys nulling up against them...   getting unlucky vs. mass-Rage is terrible...  the super-high level dudes weak to Psychic are extremely badass if they get going or get a crit...), but the Palace boss was an absolute breather compared to the first 2 palaces.  OK's topic claims that his Fear is 80%, but it didn't land in like 5-6 attempts, so either I was outrageously lucky or that hit rate is way worse.  On the bright side for the boss, March of the Piggy is probably NOT physical, or else I made a terrible error...   his first one I'm pretty sure I had the great phys-nulling Shiki-Ouji up and it still did normal damage (aka good thing he was debuffed AND everyone was guarding).  Of course you'll never see any other Marches after the first if things aren't going completely to hell.

* Plot-wise, I was a little disappointed with the Palace 3 showdown too?  I can tell they want to set up the Next Plot, but at the cost of the power of the entire idea behind the game.  The Palace 1 boss was a knock-down, drag-out struggle that started in cutscenes before, during, and after the fight, complete with party members wondering if they should just kill Shadow Kamoshida and drive him crazy & call it a day, and having to slowly *convince* Shadow K to reform (on pain of getting killed, sure, but still).  Palace 2 boss also had a highly personal confrontation that was a Big Deal.  Palace 3...  they just kinda vaguely talk about the mysterious intruder, steal the treasure, then call it a day?  I want bitter, painful reformations and guarantees on threat of aikodoy doom here.

* Much like the rest of the Internet agrees, Makoto is awesome.  Some great work there.  I very much like how everyone can be abrupt and/or horrible with her as a convenient authority figure that isn't actually very powerful and thus take out frustrations on, which drives her a tad batty.  That said, pretty weak Confidant Social Link so far?  Just leave it at Makoto chillin' with Joker, which may or may not involve branching out.  I also agree with Jo'ou that the stat wall is a little weird.  It'd be *fine* if the Charm requirement was linked to Makoto herself not going to bother with any but the best (you are aiming high here, and don't have as much as an "in" as you might with Ann), similar to the Knowledge requirement, but linked to...  some random idiot who you've never met and don't care about on some idiotic fake double date and isn't impressed by your picture or something?  Wat.  (Making the Charm be related to Makoto herself sells it as more "the steepest mountains are the most rewarding to climb" or the like.)  That said, Jo'ou mentioned it being a solid take on the High Priestess arcana - how so?  I'm curious.  (I'm pretty sure that Pope Joan did not actually exist, and if she did exist, she was not a motorcycle.)

* The depiction of Tokyo is pretty good so far too (although I suppose Djinn would be able to say more).  Related to the above, though, the bit in Makoto's Arcade trip where she was pleasantly surprised at the number of females there seems a little too true - maybe I hit the wrong arcades, but most of them seemed to be all guys, unlike the one in-game.  And the Pachinko sections were all creepy middle-aged guys gambling to machines themed around anime middle schoolers while smoking.  That said, their depiction of late-night Shinjuku seems entirely accurate, at least the part north of the station.  That might be the only place in the world I've been propositioned for prostitution quite so openly.

* I also really like how the game's writing is smart in all sorts of ways to account for how the characters themselves would perceive events, including misconceptions.  The 6th PC is worried that all your Crazy Hijinx recorded on your phone will be tracked.  (It won't, because it's a mystic not-really-an-app, but this is ENTIRELY LEGIT a fear.  I hope they're using Igor's app for their text message conversations, too!)  The Principal of Shujin is baffled and annoyed at why something as idiotic and false as the Phantom THieves is getting pressure from up high to make him do something (very much a shit rolls downhill event, as mastermind -> ICU Director -> Principal -> Makoto in terms of who gets to make whose life miserable.)  Our Hero sassing Sae for missing out on some details in her home life. 

* Palace 4: Well this is a change of pace.  Anyway, the randoms suuuuuuuuuuuucked here and I was worried the game was gonna roll over, and then I ran into the Tomb God miniboss.  Rats & Megidos of doom that probably OHKO your team if he isn't debuffed, and do like 500 damage to rat'd PCs.  And if it is debuffed, then you better hope you were healed up!  This will be interesting.  (I have a plan, though.  Recruit random mask, Gallows the recently fused Principality, get the Media upgrade whatever it's called, Mediaran I think?  We'll see.  That and run Fox for this fight, ice-weak summons & all.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:07:05 PM by SnowFire »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 03, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 03, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
* Much like the rest of the Internet agrees, Makoto is awesome.  Some great work there.  I very much like how everyone can be abrupt and/or horrible with her as a convenient authority figure that isn't actually very powerful and thus take out frustrations on, which drives her a tad batty.  That said, pretty weak Confidant Social Link so far?  Just leave it at Makoto chillin' with Joker, which may or may not involve branching out.  I also agree with Jo'ou that the stat wall is a little weird.  It'd be *fine* if the Charm requirement was linked to Makoto herself not going to bother with any but the best (you are aiming high here, and don't have as much as an "in" as you might with Ann), similar to the Knowledge requirement, but linked to...  some random idiot who you've never met and don't care about on some idiotic fake double date and isn't impressed by your picture or something?  Wat.  (Making the Charm be related to Makoto herself sells it as more "the steepest mountains are the most rewarding to climb" or the like.)  That said, Jo'ou mentioned it being a solid take on the High Priestess arcana - how so?  I'm curious.  (I'm pretty sure that Pope Joan did not actually exist, and if she did exist, she was not a motorcycle.)

The way she's a good take on the High Priestess symbolism is mostly how her characterization - and the link itself to a less interesting degree - is entirely about her delving into her own otherwise unknown wants - the High Priestess is about awakening and diving into the realm of the mysterious, and, in Makoto's case, the mystery is her own self, her desires and driving forces. It's fairly similar in nature to Yukiko's link in P4, but it's attached to a much better character - whose symbolism link to the High Priestess itself is very spot-on. The events on the link are kinda weak, I agree? But the way she's characterized is a complete joy, one of Persona 5's strongest hits. I also love what I've seen of Hermit so far (going to R7 soon), also because Futaba is a joy to watch in action - and feels like an apology after the complete phone-in that was P4's Hermit link, compounded by the disappointment for following up on P3's Hermit link, which is simply wonderful. Other takes I really liked on execution are Sun (Toranosuke's likely the most on-the-nose take from the modern series, but also the most coherent), Death (nice little narrative about bookends and letting go off a fascinating character build) and Temperance (Temperance is seriously fitting and interesting, in spite of the horrible setup. Also helps that Sadayo is a very human character. She's not as FUN as Bebe in P3, but I really like the overall depiction. I'm still pretty sour on the bonuses she gives conceptually, as much as they're brokenly good in actual gameplay). Moon is pretty accurate, but Mishima can drown himself in a hole dipped with acid.

Also, the Tomb has an elemental weakness - almost certain there's a Bless or Psychic weakness there, and you should be able to fuse a Persona with Kouga or whatever. That should help you a lot. I handled that fight mostly by mass despairing the Lamias with Pisaca and abusing All-Out Attacks, rat + Megido spam are nasty.

NINJAEDIT:

Yes.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:43:42 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 04, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
It's been over a month since I beat the final boss and I've come to accept that I'll probably never seriously tackle the bonus dungeon in FE Echoes; 10 floors + no save points/checkpoints just isn't the sort of challenge that I'm interested in at this point in my life.

I am almost done grinding out support conversations though, which I never even started with Fates; the short support list makes this a lot less daunting than it was in Fates or Awakening. I did get pretty much all the non-S rank supports in Awakening, but that was a time before I had mobile RPGs to scratch my itch for mindless grinding while listening to podcasts.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 04, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »
hinode: The aftergame labyrinth isn't really my thing either, but it's not *quite* as sloggy as I feared.  Most of the 10 floors are quite short, and many enemies are dodgeable on the map.

If you want a *little* bit of slogging to see what it's like, there's a fun set piece battle on the 5th floor with a dragon and its cronies.  Then go to the 6th floor, get into a fight with the enemies there, have a good chuckle, then escape.  (Oh these are Villagers?!  Haha ez.  wait.  Villagers with 31 speed and ??? HP and Boots use on their terrible MOV?  Game makes you respect the Risen and be scared of 'em again.  I approve.)

I went down to the 10th floor myself but then skipped the final boss, which is supposed to be quite difficult without either some major grinding, getting DLC overclasses, or abusing certain busted weapon skills.  (But not actually that difficult if you do get the overclasses so they seem to be a case of aftergame powers without much of an aftergame to use them on?!  Ugh what a terrible idea.)  I had a nice "safety valve" in that I Dread Fighter -> Villager -> Dread Fighter looped Saber (mindless grinding via solo-deploying him at the necrodragon spawning spot north of the Temple of Mila and pressing "skip turn" a lot), so he could hold off half the map if I got into a fight with 3 sets of enemies at once while the rest of the team worked on the rest.  Certainly made floors 6-9 a lot more sane having a looped DF.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 05, 2017, 02:19:03 PM »
Makoto is bae.

I didn't really like P5s cast as much as others, but I dug her character, even if her confidant story wasn't the best.

That said, I didn't max out a lot of the gang this go around.

I did max out my stats so chasing confidants in my 2nd playthrough should be easier.

I think the twins was the most useful with the cash grab mechanic they give you.

I might put this on hold as I still haven't beaten berseria yet.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 05, 2017, 11:59:23 PM »
Magikarp Jump - I went back home and visited family so I have just portables and my phone and I have worked so much that I haven't even played the portables.  This is literally all I have played for a week other than Hearthstone.  I am up to the most current league, Eighth one.  I am dealing with over 100 million JP and Koikings are jumping over 100 meters in the air.

You can lock eyes with a stranger and lose JP because he wanted to battle.   Alternately he gives you candy.  This game continues to be bonkers.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 06, 2017, 12:24:48 AM »
I might put this on hold as I still haven't beaten berseria yet.

Speaking of,

Tales of Berseria: I decided I should play this because the main character is a chick with a ridiculous monster claw hand. Started up, played a couple hours. Did someone get Fromsoft in my animes or did somebody get animes in my Fromsoft? We're in a dying world where everyone is turning into monsters and the villain is named Artoriaus. Okay.

Between Velvet's underboob and Seres's cleavage, there's basically a full set of tits on the screen. The former kinda sorta makes blurry sense in the context of "You're patching together an outfit from crapped-up clothes confiscated from prisoners, yeah you're gonna look a right mess," but will make increasingly less sense as she continues to wear it for the rest of the game. Presumably she will be too torn between vengeance and fashion to replace it.

These aren't really complaints so much as things that are there? This sounds dumb but I was solidly in the mood for mindless JRPGness.

I have no good understanding of how the combo system works. I just hit buttons and numbers appear. Maybe this'll have to change eventually, I dunno.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 06, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
Did I hear chicks with ridiculous monster hands?

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #759 on: July 07, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia: Beaten the game. I've got to say that this is my favourite out of the handheld titles in the series. The difficulty is excellent, the areas are well designed and the Glyph system brings the best of both the Summon system from the Sorrow games and the Partner system from Portrait of Ruin. It has the experimental value of the Summon system and the flexibility and convenience of the Partner system. The main new gripe which I found with the game was the final boss. Dracula is easy to take down, mainly due to that Judgement Ring which is near his doorstep, and there's that point where you have to use all of your Dominus Glyphs in order to prevent him from killing you in one shot. Who can figure this out without a guide? The post-Symphony Castlevanias have had these moments where you need a guide in order to win, although at least this one only has it during the final boss. Although this still means that the idea is bad game design. Other than that though, this game is a real treat and I look forward to the idea of replaying it in the future. Granted Symphony is still my favourite, even though this game is a tight second in my eyes. I'm hoping Bloodstained could be the one to finally top Symphony; but I'll just have to wait and see.

Pokemon Y: I'm on that part of the binge where I need to take on the 3DS titles. I'm currently at Route 8. Because of the weird algorithm within the Pokemon fanbase, it's XY's turn to be the game which is hated. I personally believe that the game is fine. The trainer fights seem to fight back more, without the Exp. Share on of course, and the selection has a lot to choose from early on. Although I can understand some of the issues regarding the game's pacing. Parfum Palace really could have been cut. The area is just one big fetch-quest with a rather lame price; a firework display and a Snorlax which has to face a ton of Rock-types.

Current team:

Okami: Got this for my birthday. I've always been interested in the idea of playing this one. Thankfully I made some room in my backlog just to play it. I've just restored life into every tree within the Kamiki Village. This game is currently feeling like what every Zelda isn't for me; fun and fast paced. Amaterasu can do a proper run when travelling for a bit, the fighting doesn't feel like a dull mean to an end, and using a brush to cast spells is both a cute and awesome idea. The only drawback I have at the moment is that the game is picky in terms of the cutscenes which you can skip.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:07:33 AM by MasterLemon »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 07, 2017, 12:50:49 AM »

Who in the world is that, Sopko?

You know, there's one thing I forgot to mention in first post that I distinctly appreciate on a quality-of-life level: NPCs have visual indicators to tell you when they don't have anything more to say. This is convenient if you are, as I am, stupidly obsessive enough to Talk to Everyone until they start looping dialogue. And if you're not, and if you only want to rush to the next bout of eating monsters, then you can just ignore everyone but the NPCs with the quest dialogue icons instead. Maybe it's a little immersion breaking, but so is button-mashing through dialogue I've already seen.

This party is so bizarre tonally, thus far. Velvet is 100% Rarr I Eat People VENGEANCE, but the moment she's out of prison she starts out hanging out a complete goofball who carries around weapons he can't use, a bubbly babbling witch girl, and Sad Katz (the game's nomenclature, not mine). I have no idea what to make of this. I'm just bemused.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2017, 01:49:41 AM »
Shovel Knight - Beat Spectre of Torment. Pretty fun! It's honestly kinda amazing this was free since it really is a fully new game; the stages are redesigned to fit Spectre Knight's style of platforming, the bosses get redesigns, even much of the music is redone (though generally isn't as good sadly). I guess Yacht Club is trying to build up a good reputation for their next full game? I dunno, but I had a pretty good time. Lots of fun platforming to be had. Boss fights are a bit of a mixed bag since they often boil down to "airdash into them until you win" and this works way better than it should, especially if you use the OP healing move. The final bosses were at least kinda designed with this in mind and are a bit more interesting. There's no boss rush which is probably a good thing. Plot is back to Serious Shovel Knight Plot unlike Plague Knight's silly campaign which is definitely a net negative, but oh well, it doesn't matter much.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 07, 2017, 03:35:50 AM »

Who in the world is that, Sopko?

The main character from the worst games made by Idea Factory.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #763 on: July 08, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
VVVVVV: Got this from a friend during the Christmas period, but I never found the time to play it until now. I've beaten the game, though I never went after the trinkets as I don't quite have the balls to perform some of the crazy stunts that are required to receive them. Just like Undertale, the game is much better than the price tag implies. The controls are precise, the gravity gimmick is fun and the difficulty, while extremely high, is pretty fair for what is almost the entire game. I say almost as there was an escort mission which the player is to perform with Violet which can fuck off. It isn't too bad to start, though the method of getting past 'Not As I Do' is almost impossible to figure out without a guide and just as difficult to execute as the player is to avoid letting Violet walk into spikes while also performing several gravity flips in order to get to the next step of the process. I had several painful moments where I managed to get Violet past the area, but I died due to failing one of the final jumps. Despite this mission though; VVVVVV is a pretty damn good platformer and the fact that you can trade pocket change in order to play it is the icing on the cake.

Pokemon X: Got to Route 8. With the previous Pokemon games, I was able to plough through them quite quickly as I was using the turbo button which the emulators provided me. With the 3DS games though, I have to use the actual console. However; since XY were the fastest games in the series in terms of battle speed at that point in time, I won't bother to complain.

As for my current thoughts; the game probably has the best start out of every title in the series as it allows the player to speed through the tutorials quickly and offer you a ton of Pokemon of different types from older and newer generations. Sadly, like Lemon explained, the period before the second gym is rife with padding. The player has to perform TWO fetch quests in order to explore Route 7; waking up Snorlax with the Poke Flute for the sake of nostalgia, and searching for a Furfrou at the Parfum Palace for the sake of a sappy fireworks scene with Shauna.

Despite these issues, I still believe XY are solid games and they don't deserve half the flack kids on 4chan and GameFAQs give to them.

Fire Emblem Awakening: No one else on this forum (or anywhere else for that matter), will stop raving about this game so it's about time I tried it for myself. I've just got past Chapter 5. The only other TBS strategy game I've played is Pokemon Conquest, so compared to that FEA is already a masterpiece. I'm too early into the game to give any final thoughts on mechanics such as pair-up and the difficulty modes (I didn't go with casual, don't worry), though what I will say is that Sumia can fuck off. The tripping joke reminds me of Colette so that already makes me want smash my 3DS and her hobby involves baking pies, because patriarchy :P

I'm probably alone with my hate for her though. If Colette has a fanbase, why can't she?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 08, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »
You're not alone; Sumia is lame (good PC though).

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #765 on: July 08, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »
I remember finding Sumia's lameness kinda funny, but it's been a while.  Then again, I also thought most of the romance links in Persona games were funny.  I might just be a bad person.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #766 on: July 08, 2017, 10:56:10 PM »
You're not alone; Sumia is lame (good PC though).

Agreed. Sumia wrecks mages like they're nothing.

In terms of writing, several fans I've seen seem to hate Tharja. I've never met her yet, is this hate deserved?

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 08, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
For what it's worth, I at least wouldn't condemn Casual.  I only did a Classic run by my 3rd run of Awakening (I did Hard Casual -> Lunatic Casual with grinding DLC, so not Hardcore Lunatic -> Hard Classic), at which point I knew the reinforcements timing really really well.

I was fine with Sumia but she is absolutely part of an anime archetype that has enraged me elsewhere (I didn't like Colette that much), so not gonna complain too much.  She takes her pie-cooking loopiness to funny rather than cringey levels IMO.

Tharja is...  hmm.  Interesting that the impression you got was hate, because there's a part of the fanbase that *loves* her, especially the Japanese fanbase.  Doesn't hurt that she's extremely good in gameplay.  I, SnowFire, like her, but similar to Sumia, she also shades a bit into an anime archetype which is very very terrible depending on presentation: the person who is totally obsessed with Our Hero(ine) and is a creepy yandere stalker.  Now, Tharja makes it work IMO, as someone who generally doesn't like this archetype (the Avatar having lines, and also having an appropriately deadpan/skeptical reaction to her, helps a lot compared to other JP media where this is done to a blank slate cipher, or a really boring character) by being genuinely totally off-the-wall zany, and having other aspects to her personality, and generally having funny / interesting support conversations that include pleasantly surprising examples of both cooperation & rivalry with other party members.  Now, Tharja proved popular enough that she's shown up elsewhere (sort-of FE Fates, FE Heroes, Tokyo Mirage Sessions), and I get the impression she's reduced a bit to fanservice outfit + obsessed with plying compliments to Our Hero, and that's pretty lame.  So the backlash you saw was probably to that - she's too much a character aimed at buttering up the JP fanbase who loves hot women who love the player standin for no reason for their tastes.  (Also, for fans into Yuri, Tharja x Female Robin is about as close as you're gonna get, although you can make a vague argument for Say'ri...  if they hadn't given her a Male Avatar support after all.)

Also, fair warning, not sure what difficulty you're playing on, but Tharja is probably the most missable recruit in the game - top 3 at the very least (with Tiki & Cynthia).  I didn't even bother in my Lunatic playthrough I believe and just murdered her instead.  Good luck!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 09, 2017, 01:29:59 AM »
Yeah Snowfire covers Tharja pretty well. I think she's pretty great myself! Play on and see for yourself. I think for some people who take Fire Emblem characters Super Seriously she is a bit immersion-breaking because she's a horrible person and the game is okay with it, but personally I think that's totally missing the point of Awakening's cast (you've already seen Vaike and Kellam). Also agreed that she works better in Awakening than her other appearances for what it's worth, although most of her other appearances don't have writing worth caring about. <.<

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #769 on: July 09, 2017, 01:31:10 AM »
but personally I think that's totally missing the point of Awakening's cast (you've already seen Vaike and Kellam).

*The Vaike.  Not sure who you're even talking about with the other one.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 10, 2017, 04:42:36 PM »
I finally beat Breath of the Wild! Not actually finished, mind, this game rules and I still want to at least find all the shrines, but I was exploring around Hyrule Castle, noticed some out-of-the-way Luminous Stones, and when I went over to them they were next to a mineshaft that leads into the castle proper. So I figured what the hell, let's do this. Ganon is a fun boss fight but not actually hard, which is par for the course in BotW, and the ending is very brief -- maybe/hopefully there's more if you recover Link's memories?

Also, it's Four Job Fiesta season and I haven't played a proper FF in ages, so that's happening.

First job: Black Mage. So my strategy has largely been to glass cannon everything until it explodes. If I try to spend any time in a boss fight healing, I usually end up with a wipe, so the winning play is to just cast my highest-level black magic constantly and pick up the pieces after the fight ends. This strategy has continued to be my mainstay even after the water crystal, because....

Second job: Berserker. Yeah. I've been keeping Faris as a berserker to build up points toward Equip Axe just in cast that gets to be handy later on, but I'm not exactly designing any strategies around indiscriminate axe-to-the-face. Luckily, spamming -ara spells is enough to crush everything up to and beyond the Fire Ship, and to clear out Walse Castle entirely with time to spare. It also makes for easy grinding on the wolves outside of town, so I can afford to stock up on elemental rods. And that brings me to my fire job!

Third job: Bard. Okay, now I've got some healing, at least. Mighty March isn't exactly good, but when my other option is Potions then FFV's piddly regen starts to look a lot better -- it's the equivalent of an AOE potion every couple of turns! Fira spam (and Blizzara for Ifrit) handles the Library of Ancients easily, and then I start the whole Crescent Island back-and-forth. Once I get to the desert I ignore Cid's advice to avoid magic and Blizzara the Sandworm to death, blah blah airship blah, adamantoise Blizzara spam blah. Ran through the northern cave for the Blitz Whip just in cast I can use it later (or sell it), and then faced off with the flying fortress. Thundara spam carried the day there, including getting me through the Soul Cannon with just Lenna alive and at 12 HP. Glass cannons!

I blitzed through the airborne dungeon because there's really not much there I need, and wiped a few times against Arcaheoaevis before finally getting a good strategy together: three black mages and one berserker (they're useful!), and kill each "form" with a rod break and an -ara spell before it can act (it got two shots in, but no Breath Wing, so I was at almost full health when it "died"). Once it revives, equip all the mages with Mage Mashers and attack attack attack, while Faris contributes most of my offense with axe-to-the-beak. Won with everybody alive, somehow! That brings me to....

Fourth job: Chemist. There we go. Some proper healing and stat boosting, !Drink secondary for anybody who needs it, and a second source of offense, as long as I stay stocked with mixing ingredients. On to world 2!
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 12, 2017, 02:53:32 AM »
!Drink?  more like !CASUAL.  !Mix or GTFO.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »
Well, I could talk about games people here vaguely care about (e.g. Persona), but instead, let's talk obscura that only Sopko will have a clue about!

Chase: Cold Case Investigations - Distant Memories
Somehow, it seems ArcSystemWorks (BlazBlue, Guilty Gear) has bought up various visual novel properties (e.g. Jake Hunter), and this included some ex-Cing (RIP) people (Hotel Dusk, Last Window, Trace Memory), and decided to give them some money for artsy cool games that don't sell many copies.  Well.  SOME money.  You'll see.  Anyway it's totally a Japanese Kyle Hyde, complete with fuzzy mini-beard, for Our Hero.

It's good!  But.  Let's not bury the lede.  You're only spending 7 bucks.  After a pretty awesome case 1, it does one of those "NOW we show the intro with song & character portraits, and some credits, and...  wait, this isn't the slightly-delayed opening.  This is the ending credits."  So yeah, it's just one case, and it's a case that's a bit of a cliffhanger too, so I wonder if they were seeing how sales were to try to convince their corporate masters to fund the rest of the game episodically?  Maybe.  Maybe they also realized that the 3DS was no good long-term in competition with the Switch, so better shove whatever we finished out the door ASAP.

Anyway, as per other Cing titles, it's a much more "realistic" mood than yon Phoenix Wright.  Having it be a cold case is also interesting, since it's "uh I guess we can look at a photo of the crime scene from the file" rather than a real-life investigation.  The main characters are both adults, which is a nice shift from Phoenix hanging out with bubbly 16-year olds.  The game follows the time-honored pattern of having a cynical bastard as the lead character who is experimenting in ways to crush the spirit of his earnest and serious assistant, as she actually cares about getting some work done in a division that doesn't tend to achieve much.  Example (roughly paraphased):

Nanase: Eh, I'm tired.  You take the lead on this next interview. 
Amekura: Uh, what?  Really?  Okay.
(animation of witness entering room)
Amekura: Ah, welcome!
Nanase: This isn't a store.

(In fact, maybe a little too much; I'd hope that in a full 4-case version he'd get a tad nicer.  Just a tad.)

The gameplay is pretty nonexistent; the game asks for the player to answer or choose a line of dialogue a lot more often than PW does, but 90% of the time, it's reciting a plot element that you were just told a bit ago, not figuring anything out, so these extra prompts are kinda filler.  BUT.   All the wrong answers have some specific dialogue to them, and it comes off more as Nanase being a huge jerk rather than him being clueless, so of course the goal is to pick all the wrong answers anyway if you're me.  (you can save anywhere and if you "lose" you just harmlessly restart anyway.)

Nanase: But something doesn't add up.  Even though your daughter had been killed, you didn't...
(Player: "visit her grave yet")
Amekura: Eh?!  Is that true?
Witness: I visit it every day.
Amekura: Sir!  Please don't make things up!

I also like some of the Cold Case aspects.

Nanase: I'm going to ask you one last question.  On that day...  you had an argument with the victim.  What was it about?

(dramatic pause)

Witness: I don't remember.
Nanase: Okay, you can go.

Good times!  Go pay seven bucks in the 3DS eShop for a solid 90 minutes or so of visual novel entertainment.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
Nioh: UNLOCKED GIRL SKIN specifically Okatsu, who's cool AF
Now to still grind glory because the next DLC might have Maria as another unlockable skin oh god

I finished the game, almost finished the first DLC and am 1/3rd through NG+ levels.
Game is super long but takes the Diablo 3 approach of unlimited content: There are already NG + and NG ++ but DLC 2 released in two weeks is going to unlock NG +++ too. And each new level of difficulty is a good balanced interesting challenge instead of the Souls usual flippant approach.
There are also stupid postgame challenges like "Here fight 2 bosses at once, good luck lol" Oh boy.

DLC 2 will also have fucking tonfas as a new weapon type
I might just play FFXII in the meantime because I can't wait

Gameplay was super stellar, plot remained completely inane. The ultimate big bad guy doesn't even get killed, main guy blinds him Bunuel style and thinks that's enough.
Unlike Souls it feels like you can definitely steamroll bosses with some absurd moves and enough numbers, at least on Ng. I can't believe how good and accessible Sloth is.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »
The FF12 remake looks dope.
Good grphx + job system + no more shitty spell queue + fast forward button.
Might spend too much time on it. I want to do all the challenges!

For the first playthrough I'm torn between just one class per character or a Time Battlemage SCC. I'm probably going with the later ?