imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49849 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #375 on: March 29, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »
Fenrir, plz.  The last thing I would do to you is suggest a third person open world collectathon.

Instead I would tell you that the intro to Torment Numenara is you reading about your character freefalling from low orbit, trying to direct themselves to crash land near a regeneration pod, missing, then you go through character creation inside part of a trickster god's mind where you pick your personality type based on seeing all possible reflections of yourself in a mirror.  Once you remember who you are, you then escape from the mindscape of the trickster god to flee from The Sorrow that is destroying portions other personalities you meet there.  In the real world you wake to be told you are a left over body from the Trickster God who periodically rebirths as a new person and the body is left as their own person afterwards.  You are told this by two people who followed you're body as it burned up on reentry and you crashed through the roof of a place with one of those regeneration pods.

The guy has had some kind of relationship with one of the Trickster god's past bodies and the woman has flickering images of herself in other realities that she communes with.

Numenara is the new release for the Fenrirs.  Not Shootem Spacemans.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2017, 05:36:51 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel, more stuff I forgot to mention, books edition:
Right after a BIG SCARY THING HAPPENED and there was a TIME LIMIT TO GO FIX IT in the final chapter, the ability to do the obligatory trade FAQ-bait books for completionists to get an ultimate weapon came up.  So I of course sat back and read it all then rather than doing it in Dickens-esque installments throughout the game.  Eh, the problem can wait, it's book reading time!  It's...  Tsukihime fanfiction?!  Orphan dude with tragic past goes hunting Elder Vampires with a hot blonde lady who seems to know what's up, and there's three types of vampires, the wussy vamps, the Elder Vampires who are ultra powerful, and the True Ancestors which are Totally All Dead Really Yes.  And he has an initial maybe love interest which he promptly abandons to be with his new true wuv who is inexplicably impressed by him.  And the big bad Elder Vampire wears a huge black coat where he keeps random crap like evil dogs and ghouls.  I wonder if it was just a really really close ripoff, or if both were taking from some similar third source, because this is an awfully specific interpretation of vampires, complete with similar weird terminology.

Also, two characters in this game were in Carnelia from Trails SC's book collection.  Weird.  I guess I should have remembered the name of minor characters from books-within-games who die but aren't really dead better.

Trails of Cold Steel 2
Started up, in the first chapter.  Nightmare is...  considerably easier than CS1 Hard?!  Enemies just don't deal that much damage.  Earlygame Celdic randoms could knock off 80% of your HP with a Zero-Arts surprise Aerial from a Zwordar or whatever, and the same here in CS2 NMM deals a mere 30% of your health or so, and the regular attacks are back to the more 8HKO fail you're used to from video games.  On Nightmare.  I think?!  The game is easy enough I keep wondering if I maybe somehow picked the wrong difficulty at game start.  On the bright side, this means that the earlygame bosses are less bullshit than they were in Trails SC, although they're still a bit bullshit - they're BS in that they have healing moves of unknown spamability when your best healing is item-based and limited, so they can stall you out if your offense isn't good.  I ground my way up to Impassion on Force MQ though in the Prologue, which tips that fight pretty heavily toward you. 

I still think it's super cool that this game basically picks up immediately where CS1 picked off with all your skills and orbment slots and all and not babying you.  On the downside, that means they feel obligated to uber up your party in other ways so that you can get that feeling of growth...  Overdrive might be a *fun* mechanic but it doesn't seem super balanced! 

Plot thoughts:
* It's still weird that absolutely nobody has mentioned yet that Chancellor Osborne & Ouroboros were working together, as was stated bluntly in Skies SC?  Are they just retconning that out?  I guess it depends on how exactly Lechter & the Black Rabbit will be portrayed, since they showed up in the "villains" section of the opening movie, and Vita Clotilde handed the Princess off to them.  Are they Osborne's Ouroboros contacts and is still working with the Reformists?  Or did everyone inexplicably defect to the Nobles?
* On the same note as above, I have to admit that based on Skies SC, Cold Steel did exactly the reverse of what I was expecting.  Olivier claims in SC that Osborne has 70% of the Army owing loyalty to him, so you'd think that Cold Steel would be about Olivier rebelling against Osborne WITH some of the nobles.  Not to mention that the Provincial Army is portrayed as more boorish and petty than magnificently evil and powerful, like the Erebonian military might have been, so it doesn't feel like a worthy enough opponent.  Kinda disappointing that this will be closer to SC presumably than FC where the Army is the Good Guys.
* I'm also not really much of a mech show guy, so too bad that CS2 will be mechier showier than usual.  Especially with the surprise bullshit hordes of Soldats that magically nobody noticed under construction before.  (At least the Courageous has the excuse that it was partially assembled in another country, it seems, as far as surprise unveilings go.)  Critical failure from Lechter?  Ignoring plot, it also means that to keep the mech fans happy, I fully expect the final showdowns to be "Cool land battle" -> "Hahaha I reveal my true power" -> "Oh shit let's call Valimar and let him steal the show!"  Yeah, I'd rather be proud of my awesome swordsmanship than proud of the fact a random magic mech chose me to pilot it.  Oh well.
* Not that I'm complaining, because marking quest locations is nice, but I think I'd have been okay with not marking the quest locations for the chess puzzle on the minimap!  It wasn't THAT hard.  Make it so if you mope around that screen too long, you get a big fat hint or the like so you don't get stuck. 

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
Oh shit I forgot about Torment 2!
Well, I'm waiting for the PS4 patch that improved performance, because it doesn't look good right now and I have Nioh/Nier 2/Persona 5 to finish anyway
Yes I'm a monster for getting it on PS4 but I have to

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 30, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
I don't mind man.  Anything that gets you playing cool shit.  If it had a phone release and you grabbed it on that I would be just as hype.  I have become a lot less of a purist in my twilight years.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
Zelda BotW is a fantastic game with limited story, but gawd damn.

I had a blast for 120+ hours and I still didn't find all the koroks or finish all the side quests.

That was much better then every recent Zelda game I've played.

ALBW is the only one I'd call good since WW.

Loved it. Now my switch will most likely sit unused until Stardew Valley or some other rpg like game gets ported to it...

(I'm looking at you Mana bundle!)

"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
https://www.gog.com/game/thimbleweed_park

New game from Ron Gilbert is out. There's too much to play and I have zero time.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #381 on: March 31, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
Final Fantasy VII: I discussed how I was replaying this one a month back. I ended up beating it a few days ago with little effort. It's a shame One Winged Angel is an excellent song so you want the fight to last longer. But nope, it was a Comet2 from Cloud, a Mug from Tifa, and a 2x Cut from Yuffie. I also liked to use Cait Sith as my 3rd party member for boss fights; he's a fat mage with a Limit which you can easily rig to get Mog Dance. I never did the superbosses or the Battle Square since I already did them in my 1st run of the game.

Final Fantasy III (NES): I decided to come back to this one 3 years after giving up on the DS version. I've just beaten Medusa and I'm currently rather enjoying it. It's interesting to see the Job Class System in its earliest form and working your characters around the rules it has. Funnily enough, the main area which I've currently had trouble with was the Cave of the Seal; even then it did an effective job at reminding me that the opponents were undead and I should deal with them accordingly (fire Cures with my Red Mage). I decided to name the characters after buddies on my Twitter because why not?

Pokemon Silver: Beaten Red, who was joke even with a party in their early 50s. It makes you wish that his party actually had good movesets. I've seen people complain about the Snorlax, even though it can be hilariously beaten by a Misdreavus. I decided to add in the Level 70 Ho-Oh for the post-game because why not? I ditched Meganium for it because Lugia was beginning to do the tank job better.

The final team:

Jagens:

Special mention:

Pokemon Sapphire: Sapphire was the only one of the Hoenn games which I hadn't played. During the days when the remakes were announced, I used to think that the 3rd Generation was an easy target due to the amount of H2O in the late-game. While I still think that these routes are rather dull and lack challenge, I believe that this one has aged very well. I also really like the gyms here, except the last three. Roxanne and Wattson take advantage of their team's durability and constantly try to lower your speed, Brawly has a Makuhita set which attempts to make it an evil tank, Flannery seems to have a weather approach going on, and Norman makes you change your strategy around his Slaking.

The final team:

Jagens:

Nuked the ship and the last Trick House challenge:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:22:04 PM by MasterLemon »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 31, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
Nier Automata:
Got the last main ending.

So. Everybody loves the special ending and finds it beautiful and powerful. I did too, but something about it felt really off. I thought about it more and now have this theory that it is completely cynical and manipulative. I love it? In any case, it is not what it seems.

I'm not sure I should talk about it more because that'd spoil everything though.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »
I've also played some ios games at work slowly.

DQ5 is finished, this game only really had the early parts going for it, it's not great otherwise. My final team was Cureslime / Golem / Archdemon / Minidemon. Team rulez

Secret of Mana Yattaf Solo: surprise the mechanics are still jank in the phone port, though slightly less?
Balance is still dead
Most of the changed graphics are very good, except saber spells! Instead of having a cool looking blue sword, a tiny Undine dances over you. WHAT THE HECK the saber spells were supposed to be the best thing about this solo

The bosses so far:

Spiky Tiger was tough but not that bad. Eventually I learned how to avoid his attacks and it went well? Yes avoiding attacks is possible in this game to a point, it's just the hitboxes which are completely nuts

Fire giant: Dude does INSANE damage with focused spells but if you heal right before, both the healing and damage spells work at the same time and you're fully healed. Even if hit by OHKO damage. Also if you stay in front of him he spams Explodet. I ran him out of MP that way.

Evil Wall: first phase: can rarely be hit, heals with cure water while the eyes do weak damage
Second phase once the eyes go down: becomes vulnerable, pushes you into spikes / wall for gruesome instant death
I avoided the second phase entirely by just killing one eye, boosting accuracy with SPEED UP (OMG) and wailing on the main part with lvl 2 axe charge attacks

Kilroy: got completely cheesed by the whip

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »
Bravely Second- Actually have a little time to game, so I'm trying to finish this off. Just hit Ch 6. Also just got Glossolalia, which is fun. Even though I only have a few spells in it (and am not planning to use friend codes to get more), I got an ara, an aga, Dark and MT healing, which is not a bad basic skillset for a cost of 1 support slot.

Noble Eagle definitely an interesting tactic to try to exploit in use of killing randoms quickly, although it can go very wrong with a miscalcuation.
...into the nightfall.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2017, 01:20:14 AM »
Final Fantasy VII: Beaten Sephiroth. Yuffie's Conformer wrecks most of the end game bosses thanks to their high levels. Overall, I found coming back to this game to be a pretty fun time. Materia is fun to experiment with and the plot is very engaging, especially throughout disc 2. This run has exposed me to more of the game's flaws though. A lot of the minigames kinda suck and I felt they were trying way too hard to have variety with them. I also feel that the damage output is way too low from both randoms and bosses, which means that there isn't much strategy to consider against them as most set ups will steam-roll through them with ease.

Pokemon Emerald: Beaten Steven, who is a superboss in this game while Wallace is the champion (what the hell?). This game has aged way better than the first two games. The mechanics are balanced unlike with generation 1 and the core game is solid unlike with generation 2. The level curve is consistent, the Pokemon selection is much more varied than the first two games and the region is actually fun to explore asides from the large amount of water routes near the end (at least they are optional though). The bosses in this one put up a harder fight than the first two as well. While they aren't all that challenging, they at least use actual strategies unlike with the bosses in the first two games such as Flannery's White Herb + Overheat Torkoal. Colosseum is next, a game I have never actually played before. I hear it has a pretty bad reputation due to its slow battle speed and purification system though.

Final team:

Temporary members:

Used on Steven:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:29:21 AM by LordDirtyBrit »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 04, 2017, 04:25:21 AM »
Final Fantasy Dimensions

Decided to replay this. Considered what I wanted to do, and then decided that I'd done enough fiesta-type challenges for these games lately and that hey that solo of FF5 was pretty fun, so sure, let's try one in this game. The twins are the only cool characters anyway, so my choices for who gets to solo each path are obvious. Like most FFs, characters stay at 0 HP after battle, which makes solos more palatable (ironically the main exception to this is the only FF I have soloed twice).

Like FF5, Exp focuses and AP does not. Exp focusing is good because spoilers this game is harder than FF5 so I'll need it to not just get totally dunked on by damage. Probably gonna get dunked on by status regardless. Stay tuned!

Prologue: None of the characters from the Lux side of things will be used in the solo, so whatever, I just play this normally so it goes faster. Turns out having no jobs is pretty boring! FFD tries to make it a little better by giving Diana and Aigis some magic (and then Elgo gets a fuckton when he joins). The first two bosses aren't much, Manatoise explodes to Elgo's Blizzara and Watchbeast to his Fira.

I now gain control of the party of the party working for the Empire. In the first battle, I kill off Nacht and Sarah. The fun begins! No job system yet, and I do this part as a duo rather than a solo to level both Dusk and Alba; it also eases me into the actual challenge. Dusk starts with L2 White and Alba starts with L2 Black, so hey, skillsets!

Mount Lux: First dungeon fo the challenge. I give Dusk the Iron Sword and Alba the Whip (back-row weapon) and use those + Alba's MT magic to sweep. Patch up with Cure between fights. Once I get the Iron Bow I switch Dusk over to that so both can be in the back row (its damage isn't that much lower than the sword, and hits weakness on some enemies here). Not much to say about enemies in this dungeon; Sprinters inflict confuse which makes them more notable than the rest, but it's not as bad as it could be as my characters don't hurt themselves that badly. Bombs are also notable for being elementally neutral which makes my inner FFT fan twitch but is true to FF5.

Crystal Temple: A slight step up. Mud Golems are bulky and also confuse, Lesser Lopros is generically hard-hitting so I have to be a bit more careful. Nothing too bad though. I use status (Sleep or Mini/Toad or Slow) occasionally on tougher enemies; it's nowhere near 100% but it works more often than not. Tents restore MP (only way to do it repeatedly at this point as ethers are pricy). They also revive everyone but whatever, they can kill themselves again.

Watchbeast - Doubleacts, but to the back row his damage isn't too special. The problem is that below half HP he starts using Soul Despair, which is MT HP-1. Fortunately it's only ever used as the second move of a doubleact, so he can't score cheap kills. Still that makes wary of using my turn right before I suspect he's going to act, and MT Cure doesn't patch me up much, though typically enough to survive a double physical in the back row. So not too bad, I just need to be awake.

Jobs!

Now the real fun begins. I control Dusk's party first. Which means solo Dusk. Let's talk about how the jobs do solo:

Physical jobs: Have good HP and decent damage but no MT. They're fine if I don't need to heal mid-fight. If I do, I'm in the wrong job. Potions restore 100 which struggles to erase 1 round of enemy damage even now (and only gets worse from here), Hi-Potions are in short supply and not storebought yet. Warrior is generally the job of choice here since Counter is quite a bit better on a solo.

Summoner: Summoner has the deepest MP pool, near-best Int/Mind, and bad stats otherwise. Importantly, they have Sylph. Sylph's healing focuses, and at this point one use (which also does damage comparable to a L1 spell, competent at this point) easily fully heals me if I'm in a magical job, even Red Mage. It's much less potent on the physical jobs... though still way better than Potions or Cure. Unfortunately at that point its 12 MP cost becomes the bigger issue.

Red Mage: Offers balanced stats and a decent physical and loads of skillset, Sylph still heals fully.

Black Mage: Highest possible INT has its uses, though only once I've learned Sylph really.

I actually get L1 Red first because it's a great swiss army toolkit for encounters; it provides MT, Cure (which far outpaces potions on a mage), and the ability to kill flans. Once I get that my strategy for the first few dungeons is to go Summoner L1 Red until my MP runs low then switch to a physical job and use potions between fights.

Crystal Temple: Just a walk out in what is normally supposed to be you showing off your shiny new toys. Unfortunately in my case things are much less impressive. I run into a group of three Stunners (rats which do... exactly what it sounds like). I learn that paralysis can be reapplied and the timer resets, so once one Stunner lands it I never recover. Yikes, FF1 flashbacks.

World map by contrast is super-easy and a chance to build some AP. Near Liene there are some tougher enemies like Bugbears (who aren't so tough once they're minied, as I discover when briefly running Red + L2 White, since it's a white spell). No big. In Liene I can buy L2 white but there's no reason to, decision to do Dusk solo paying off! I do buy L2 black, of course, and a bunch of potions. Not enough, it turns out.

Mount Liene: Some NPC tells me it's dangerous, I shrug him off. I promptly wipe twice to the first random I get into. Yikes. Mud Golems and Lamias both have confuse, and the Headband which blocks it was on Alba, so I don't have it. That's bad. Otherwise it's just a matter of damage adding up and my underestimating it. Fortunately this dungeon has a Headband in it... as well as the Metal Rod (best int-booster) which Alba also made off with. Hooray! Unfortunately only Red Mage/Monk/Thief can use it... but it's okay, confuse falls off a bit after this dungeon anyway.

Castle Liene: Yellow Jelly is immune to physical which is a threat to me once I'm low on MP and running physical sets, though I keep some MP and MT Thunder 2HKOs them even off Knight MP. The other enemies here are either old or not too notable.

Hell Minion and Butch - Black Mage with Sylph. Hell Minion can use Roundhouse (damage+empty targets ATB, which is a pain) and otherwise just hits me, not too big a deal. I use Sylph if I feel in any danger and Fire/Ice/Bolt otherwise. Once he takes a few hits he calls for Butch, his pet chimera. I ignore it and keep attacking him. The choice is made extra obvious by the fact that Butch can drain around 80 HP a round from me (and I'm in the back row) which would outpace much of my damage. Sometimes he'll use a weaker MT attack instead. Ha! He also has stun, but at least there's no damage, and Hell Minion no longer attacks at this point, just gives Butch orders.

First time I played the game I killed Butch first and Hell Minion responds by going into a berserker rage and buffing himself. This time I kill him first, and he responds with "Avenge me, Butch..." and I assume Butch is gonna do something similar. Butch responds with a roar. On his next turn, he uses Flee. :)

I've reached the Warship now and it's definitely a step up. Updates later.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 04, 2017, 08:48:15 AM »
Final Fantasy Dimensions The twins are the only cool characters anyway, so my choices for who gets to solo each path are obvious.

Wow you would think I would be used to FACTUALLYWRONGelves by now, but jeez, that's some serious bullshit.

Dusk sucks as well.

Person A5 - I bought this today, I dig how the manual is a little minfig of the main character, though I guess I could complain about silent mains being really flat characters, but I think that is kind of the point here.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 04, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
Persona 5- Also doing this thing. SOCIAL LINKS SOCIAL LINKS SOCIAL.... errr CONFIDANTS!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 04, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Ahem...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) PERSONA 5 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #390 on: April 04, 2017, 05:59:42 PM »
what about it?

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
PERSONA 5
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 04, 2017, 11:32:45 PM »
Quote from: OK right now
Persoooooonaaaaaaaaaaaa

Diablo 3 - Season 10, Witch Doctor again because I liked Zuni's set last season when I used it so why change things.

I will actually get to Persona eventually.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #393 on: April 05, 2017, 01:24:37 AM »
Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep A Fragmentary Passage-  Well that's a title.

The way they integrate style changes with everything else works well I think, and the idea behind chain spells makes spamming magic not an entirely terrible idea despite the return of KHII style MP.  The restriction that puts on your ability sets compared to the last three and change games in the series does make things feel artificially harder though.  Getting a read on enemy attacks is kinda wonky too, BUT that could be a function of the particular bosses involved (pure-dark Heartless in the main, which have always been weird and gimmicky compared to other boss forms), or of the game being built on the assumption that you're an experienced player if you're playing this particular game and all.

That said the star of this show is the levels.  While the actual layouts are pretty linear, they very clearly wanted to show off after years on portables and other such things.  It's pretty, it plays with perspective and layered level elements, it really helps push the game along.

I'll uh spare everyone any other ponderings.

Real short of course, but it was pretty upfront about that.  7/10 stuff I suppose.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2017, 03:55:16 AM »
Man, they aren't even trying any more.

Kingdom Hearts reBirth by Sleep:Gaiden/5 Games.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2017, 05:10:45 AM »
Dusk is at least kind of amusing and a much-needed voice of sanity in Sol's party of idiocy.

Final Fantasy Dimensions Chapter 1 end + Chapter 2 start update

Oh yeah since I should record my levels: 14 for Watchbeast, 19 for Hell Minion.

Warship: By far the toughest dungeon so far. Many of the encounters here are semi-fixed; you can avoid them via stealth but if you engage one you can't escape. Once you engage one the encounter is decided randomly, from the same list as the randoms (which only occur in rooms with no wandering soldiers). Two enemies here are particularly tough. There are also a couple truly fixed encounters which you must engage to proceed, including one as soon as you enter the dungeon.

Battlemage x2 + Cavalier (2 resets): The Cavalier uses physicals and is unspecial. The mages are another matter. They're in the back row and can use Fire (around 80-90 damage, which is a 4-8HKO depending on job. They can also physical for dinky damage, cast Poison, or cast Toad. Toad sucks because it means that I can't do anything except use items, and I discover quickly I should Maiden's Kiss ASAP to cure it because suddenly all physicals hit frogs super-hard. Occasionally both battlemages use it consecutively, cancelling it out. Ha! It can also miss, though not often. Anyway they fall in 2 ST hits or 3 MT.

Once aboard the ship, both these show up as randoms, as do three more enemies: Sergeants, Sergeant Majors (both wusses; the latter can take an extra hit but will run at low HP), and Swordsmen. Swordsmen unfortunately have Pommel, which is paralysis. Paralysis lasts a little over three turns and means you can't do anything. Oh yeah and if Pommel is used again it gets refreshed. They don't use it too often (I'd guess around 1/6 of the time) and one time I fight three of them and get super-lucky and kill them with damage before they use it even once (which means 3-4 MT spells). But uh yeah this is terrifying. No way to block it, though it's evadable so that's a definite leg-up Red Mage has (they have 20 evade at this point with shield + Kenpo Gi). That said RM needs one extra hit to kill quite a few enemies in this dungeon so I typically run Summoner/Black. Later on I realise that I should be aggressively trying to status these guys... Toad does the trick! It usually hits but not always, and means they can only do 1 damage. Toad any swordsmen as a super-high priority, deal with Battlemages as the next priority... it takes me a bunch of resets to get all this down but eventually I do.

There's a fixed fight at the bottom against a Swordsman, a Battlemage, and two Cavaliers. A couple more resets here. Finally, toughest of all is an optional fight against two swordsmen and two grunts... to make matters worse, it's an automatic ambush so yeah paralysis very much a thing. Front row (which becomes back row), red mage to increase speed/evade, Toad/Sylph through this one. Probably takes me around 4 resets. My reward is a Crossbow, and since I have been using bows as Black/Red Mage occasionally to conserve MP this isn't a complete waste.

At the top of the airship is a chian fight culminating in a boss. The first part is against three Battlemages, usual strategies apply. Then three Cavaliers, easy-peasy. I do heal up with Sylph at the end...

Captain (1 reset) - What an original name. Anyway he's kind of a badass, being significantly faster than me and 3RKOing a back-row red mage. By himself not so bad, but he brings two friends, a Phalanx (who has Roundhouse, which is damage+stun) and a Battlemage. Oh yeah and one of his physicals (he doubleacts) adds confuse. Ack.

So yeah, the strategy is Red Mage with a Headband, back row. Silence on the Battlemage turn 1, now she can't do anything but occasional physicals. Silence never wears off! Next, Sylph on the Phalanx... twice in a row becase I'm taking loads of damage. This kills him and I'm down to the boss. He's still tricky because he's so fast and taxes my resources, but he's vulnerable to Slow, which is great, so I keep him under that. Slow, unlike Silence, does need to be reapplied periodically. I run of MP in this fight because it's not short, I have to use Sylph a lot and I had to burn some getting through the first two fights. I use three Ethers (=4500 gil, ew) but I win.

After there is a plot fight with Baugauven. I dunno what happens if you die before it times out and I don't want want to find out; I'm able to turtle a bit. After that the party is revived and I have to fight two battlemages and a cavalier, thank goodness there's no swordsmen. I'm a bit nervous at this point since I really don't want to do the boss fight again but I win. Chapter 1 complete! I was Level 22.

No new stuff worth noting in Braska. I buy potions. Lots of potions. I end up going up to over 90 and I'll need most of them.

Deist Cave - This dungeon is the first serious resource test. Unlike the Warship I am actually kinda far from a save point, the dungeon is not short and there's only one save point in the middle. And battles tend to drain 20-25% of my MP.

-Takumis Pineapples get 3HKOed by MT or 2HKOed by MT + ST (including Sylph). That said 3HKO MT is a bad plan because at low HP they sometimes blow up for 200+ damage.
-Cait Siths aren't too damaging but they have confuse. Red Mage and Monk can block it but otherwise too bad. Fortunately confuse isn't too bad since this dungeon spams physicals otherwise, enemies tend to deconfuse me. Still it can be bad if it happens when I need to heal, of course.
-Cave Turtles hit decently hard but die to two Blizzards.
-Tunnellers are jerks in slugfests, having nearly double the HP of most enemies in this dungeon and sometimes tossing out 150-damage Earthquakes. Three at once is pretty gross. Mostly they drain a lot of MP.
-Red Caps come in reasonably large numbers and their damage can definitely add up, but there's nothing special about them otherwise.

I have a lot of resets here, probably more than I should. A lot of this is due to trying to cut corners in my Sylph use.

Once I run out of MP I try to switch to Knight/Monk. Monk... does not work, loses slugfests and I get owned. (They become able to win them once I get the Poison Knuckles late in this dungeon.) Warrior works better with counter/better durability but does fear confuse some. In both cases though I can expect to use like 8+ potions after each fight which is terrible. I do discover that now that my level is higher, Sylph is actually still surprisingly okay healing, just limited MP. I steadfastly refuse to use any ethers here. I do run occasionally, especially when I do clever things like forgetting to change my row for warrior/monk use.

I get a Healing Staff which is awfully tempting for extending my resources; it item-casts Cure! Unfortunately Cure cast by it is way worse than the real thing, restoring ~50 HP when used by Red Mage. Ew, no.

I almost die to the Drake plot fight at the end (again, assuming one can) due to not going in healed but I just get it to time out.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:18:07 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 05, 2017, 07:23:12 AM »
I tried a Dimensions solo before deciding that No, This Isn't Worth It. Good luck

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
CONFIDANTS CONFIDANTS CONFIDANTS!

5/16.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 05, 2017, 03:22:22 PM »
It probably isn't worth it, no, but I've had worse ideas. How far did you get? (Also did you ever finish that Black Mage SCC or did you get bored of burning everything?)

Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 05, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
In the solo, I got up to near the end of the first chapter IIRC but it was hard and I was really scared of making the wrong choices re: jobs, especially since I hadn't even played the game once.

In the black mage SCC, I got up to the final boss but couldn't beat him because of the low durability and non existant useful healing options for a black mage at endgame! I had even hoarded all elixirs for this fight, but this wasn't enough. And levelling didn't help in any way.
It sure was fun though