Register

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49854 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2017, 08:35:28 PM »
I think battle text is placed differently than the rest of the script, as it's part of the battle script and not the game script.

Really though, the PC version probably wouldn't have caught that anyway, since most of the re-translation was just grammatical/spell check errors.  "This guy are sick" would probably be caught by a grammar check, for example, since it has a pronounce/verb conflict, or "beacause" because it's just spelled wrong.  Something like "Attack while the tail is up! It'll counter attack with lasers!" has absolutely nothing wrong from a mechanical standpoint; it's spelled properly and grammatically it makes sense, so a quick run down of correcting typoes wouldn't catch that.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
PC version is probably a joke.   In the original release I would just put it down to, in Japanese it is one text box probably.   In a raw translation on a page it read okay as is (to the level that FF7 localization was done).  0 cares given after that.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2017, 05:21:23 PM »
Grande Blue Fantasy-

Done upgrading the Baha Dagger thanks to consecutive successful run of Baha HL dark pot raid.
I can go back to grind for Grande mats now.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2017, 06:27:08 PM »
Ff12: my god will this lighthouse ever end? I'm playing on izjs with fast forward and refuse to believe anyone had the patience for this without it.

Bravely second: it's great once you accept the memes. Catmancer <3

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: At Lorule Field (I hate the name too). This is slowly becoming my favourite Zelda game. The wall gimmick sounds cheap, but it adds a lot of depth to the puzzles in the dungeons. I've just finished the Octoball Derby minigame right now. A lot of players find it frustrating, but I was able to finish in my first couple of tries.

Speaking of minigames, Hyrule Hotfoot can die slowly and painfully.

Final Fantasy VII: Climbed the "shiny golden wire of hope" to Shinra HQ. An aspect I've noticed when replaying the game is that Cloud never really says "not interested" outside of dialogue options. The only time when Cloud actually says "not interested" is when he remembers his mother telling him that he should settle down with a girlfriend. Clearly the expanded universe was what tried to turn it into a catchphrase.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »
Ff12: my god will this lighthouse ever end? I'm playing on izjs with fast forward and refuse to believe anyone had the patience for this without it.

My recollection is at least a solid two hours for the Pharos. I did kind of like the aesthetics of the place, but nothing was saving the game from dungeon-crawl overkill by that point.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »

I enjoyed it just fine...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
I did too, but I was probably overleveled for it.  Since FF12 has so much out-of-depth extra stuff available, you can definitely hit the push and pull of 'wipe to single enemy multiple times' and 'Icameheretocastberserkandchewgum'

Relatedly: I am not big into mods, but if the internaitonal addition still has some of the extremely dumb FAQ-bait design things - walling critical spells and gear behind performing arbitrary tasks X times, and of course the most perplexingly bad decision in the history of obscure loot - I'd be all for correcting those mistakes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:33:55 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2017, 11:51:42 PM »
I did too, but I was probably overleveled for it.  Since FF12 has so much out-of-depth extra stuff available, you can definitely hit the push and pull of 'wipe to single enemy multiple times' and 'Icameheretocastberserkandchewgum'

Relatedly: I am not big into mods, but if the internaitonal addition still has some of the extremely dumb FAQ-bait design things - walling critical spells and gear behind performing arbitrary tasks X times, and of course the most perplexingly bad decision in the history of obscure loot - I'd be all for correcting those mistakes.

I'm not sure about all these things, but I do know I have yet to find Haste, Disable, Esunaga, and a number of other spells. (Don't tell me where they are) One of the more irritating discoveries I made was that choosing whom to give Espers to actually mattered. (I didn't notice until endgame) I have not gone out of my way to find any hidden areas or quests; I've just done hunts when I fall behind in levels. There are also a number of technicks I have never seen, but probably would have been useful (the debuff ones in particular)

With that said, I very much prefer this version of the game to the original (I tried to play it three times, and made it ~15 hours once). I hate it when games give me multiple characters and big skill trees with no guidance for every single one, so the restricted License Boards helped me get into the game a lot more than in my previous attempts at playing the base game. It's a little weird they didn't make this optional like in FFX International, though.

I will be honest, apart from the length I would say the previous (Crystal) dungeon was far worse than Pharos. A big source of my frustration is just that the game has been so lengthy and every single area is huge. I would have been quite satisfied if the game had ended at Draklar Labs with just a final confrontation with the big bads after that. While I have a better opinion of the game than I used to, I would still say it's in the bottom 5 of the series for me, and tedium is a big part of this.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2017, 02:17:22 AM »
I was gonna say.  The Crystal dungeon is the worst in the game as far as I'm concerned.  I'm basically done with nearly featureless mazes.  Fun fact: you only scratched the surface!  There's actually a whole depths area of the Crystal in the aftergame.  screw that.  Pharos is long but would be a fine dungeon if it didn't come after, like, 15 hours of solid dungeon crawling.

FF12: A great 30 hour game trapped in a 60 hour game.  (I'm not holding the aftergame & exploratory stuff against it, that would be fine since it's optional for people who really love the combat, but either don't have all the dungeons in the last third of the game so underwritten, or just port some of those dungeons into the aftergame too.)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2017, 02:37:39 AM »
FF7 talk: Also, re the FF7 talk from Lemon/DirtyBrit: Surprised at the Aeris hate.  I was one of those eye-rollers at the time being all "big deal, drama in video games, she's not THAT super special, getoverit", but dang if she hasn't aged well in comparison to the competition lately.  There's *way* too much anime bullshit in yon average video game relationship these days (well, the kind in JRPGs at least) that generally subscribes to two people who get forced together and have nervous conversations and slowly work their way up to maybe talk about their Feelings.  To be sure, this is actually fine, but not as the only thing.  Aeris comes off more as actual people might - looking for a date on the rebound and basically asking straight up, but not implying that she's massively fallen head over heels in love at first sight.  You know, maybe more an exploratory relationship here, we'll see where it goes, if Cloud is even interested, which he doesn't have to be.  This is anathema to the above kind of relationship, where by the time a couple can admit they might be a couple and ask one or the other out, it's only for a declaration of eternal everlasting love.  Additionally, while technically Advent Children ruins this, she doesn't immediately pop back up as a ghost or whatever, and they don't kill her 2 seconds from the end, so you have some time to stew on the death.

Also, super super belated response to Elf on FF13: Yeah, if Orphan 2 was a boss in Chapter 4 or the like and scaled appropriately, I can see people getting walled by it.  It is a bit of a puzzle boss.  However, it is a puzzle that you should have solved many many times already: stagger this dude, and attack while its defenses are down!  That is ~80% of bosses in the game.  It is a locked door but you should have already constructed the key for it.  If you simply have Relentless Assault - 2x RAV + COM - and spam auto combos, I wouldn't be surprised if that wins the fight.  I still think it's crazy weird people apparently lost to it in non-challenge runs.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2017, 03:03:25 AM »

All of that is gone in IZJS, by the way.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2017, 03:19:24 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel
Dear diary.  After a rough day of getting knocked unconscious twice, then breaking up a fracas in the market over permits, I was recruited to be a shopkeep briefly.  There, I sold wine & cheese, and cabbage.  After we were finished, I was complimented, but then I went back to inspect the goods at the market I'd just sold from.  There was no wine for sale, nor cheese, nor cabbage.  What...  what was I doing?  Did those customers actually get any wine, cheese, or, cabbage?  Am I going crazy?  Am I still concussed from my injury either?  Was this a really strange walking dream?  I'm not sure anymore.

(Combat report: You know those action games where when you first run into a random enemy, they kick your ass, but by the third or fourth time you're good?  CS Hard recreates that feeling, albeit cheating slightly thanks to bigger numbers helping that out.  I got wrecked by Poms at the Old Schoolhouse, installed by law at all Trails boarding schools, before getting better at 'em.  Schoolhouse boss was terrible, though.  Practical Exam was mostly annoying - the boss has a spell that one-shots Elliot, and you get a BPAP bonus if nobody dies.  It's slow-charging, so Elliot can just wander outside the damage area if he has an intervening turn, but if he doesn't, welp.  Exciting times doing that fight four times until I got lucky.   For Celdic randoms, I wonder if I'm in stay-at-inn-after-every-battle hell at first after I ram into, unknowingly, about the most badass possible enemy formation - 4 dragon flys, an Acerbic Tomato, and maybe something crappy.  The dragon flies have horrible, evil, 400-500 point area damage smashes into my whole party that also poison me when I start out with 900-1200 HP, and the Tomatoes can confuse you, like, say, Laura.  Yeah, if you get ambushed you are likely dead without seeing a single turn.  Even after a retry where I noticed hey, Larua has an S-Craft, it was still a tough fight.  Nice job selling the fact that Laura is more experienced without just amping her level like crazy, though.  Later encounters were more reasonable, and I eventually didn't need the S-Craft crutch - gaining that extra level on Rean & Elliot, plus slapping an HP 1 quartz on Elliot, did magic for my survivability.  Gaining a level also moved Alisa from "nearly one-shotting Dragonflies" to "actually one-shotting Dragonflies" with Heatwave, and that was hugely helpful too.  Dinosaur got wrecked, and the lamp replacement skipped the battle for whatever odd reason.)

(Story report: Alisa continues to fail.  Rean happens to be a practitioner of the ultimate Japanese swordstyle here in !Germany, sure, whatever dude.  Wonder if it's the same as Anelace/Cassius.  The students are doing blatantly bracer tasks and I haven't seen a bracer guild around, which is a little weird, as Sky definitely said Bracers are pretty much everywhere.  Absolutely nobody has talked about the Chancellor yet, and even said that only the Emperor was the ultimate authority if they wanted to pick a fight with Duke Albarea.  wut, surely the Chancellor could handle it too.) 

(Rant report: Is there literally any point in buying Elliot staff upgrades?  His attack scales off ATS I presume, but the equipment solely buffs Str, sooooo unless you get the U-Material upgraded version, not seeing the point.  Also he was SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED to go test his fancy new orbal staff, so throwing it in the garbage to buy a replacement would obviously be silly.  ah video game logic.)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2017, 05:11:37 AM »
Honestly, I thought Pharos was fine in FF12.  Long, sure, but it is functionally the final dungeon (The REAL final dungeon barely qualifies as a dungeon, so...), and it works for a final crawl.

The Crystal is annoying though, yes, because let's remove your BASIC NAVIGATION TOOL!!!  You really need an FAQ just to navigate the damn thing.

FE Birthright:  I'm going to assume you're not really suppose to fight Xander but get past him, but I killed him anyway.  Basically, Chapter 12 is completed.  I can only assume that maybe a strategy of like "bee-line to exit by shoving Corrin on a flying unit" would have been faster but no EXPs.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »
(Rant report: Is there literally any point in buying Elliot staff upgrades?  His attack scales off ATS I presume, but the equipment solely buffs Str, sooooo unless you get the U-Material upgraded version, not seeing the point.  Also he was SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED to go test his fancy new orbal staff, so throwing it in the garbage to buy a replacement would obviously be silly.  ah video game logic.)

I could swear his regular weapon attack scales off Str, not Int. Otherwise, Elliot and Emma would've been doing far and away the highest regular attack damage in CS2 for me.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2017, 02:16:44 PM »

All of that is gone in IZJS, by the way.

Shut up and take my money
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »
(Story report: Alisa continues to fail.  Rean happens to be a practitioner of the ultimate Japanese swordstyle here in !Germany, sure, whatever dude.  Wonder if it's the same as Anelace/Cassius.  The students are doing blatantly bracer tasks and I haven't seen a bracer guild around, which is a little weird, as Sky definitely said Bracers are pretty much everywhere.  Absolutely nobody has talked about the Chancellor yet, and even said that only the Emperor was the ultimate authority if they wanted to pick a fight with Duke Albarea.  wut, surely the Chancellor could handle it too.) 

The Bracer Guild thing is a story point to say the least.

And yeah, Eight Leaves is the sword school Cassius and Anelace belong to.  The Sky games left it as hachiyou ittou-ryuu as I recall, which makes it easier to miss, but yeah, anyone in Trails using an obviously Japanese blade is doing that as a rule.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2017, 04:23:58 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel
This morning, everybody else was being reasonable.  And by "reasonable" I mean "cowards."  We have a train to catch tonight, sure, but how hard can investigating a robbery be?  A few hours at most to track it down.  Instructor Sara has given us the freedom to pursue our own initiatives, so it's on.  Luckily, my natural leadership skills easily convince the others.  The fact that we're armed with state-of-the-art ARCUSes so that we can pretty much wreck random civilian robbers should it come to blows probably helps steady my compatriot's courage.  And if they actually can fight back, hey, Laura, we'll be riiiiight behind you.

Of course, while Laura...  uh, we...  wreck the thieves well enough, there has to be an unpleasant surprise out to make me sleep in the dirt.  Repeatedly.  Mostly just me, although Laura once too.  I guess this was on me, so fair enough.  That was pretty brazen of the (real bad guys) at the end though...   like, if they were gonna shoot us, fine, but don't practically announce your evil plan then leave us alive.  Ah well.  Luckily my compatriots also snarked at this idiocy, so I'm in good company.  Then we got Deus Ex Machina saved, but the narrative acknowledged that too and said something was up and the timing was way too convenient, so I'll take it, whoever this guardian angel looking over our shoulder is.

--

C1 boss was actually pretty awesome.  The first fight lures out Laura's S-Craft, so I'm not set to insta-gib the fairly badass support the real boss brings.  The actual boss is super-huge and gets stuck on his support, which is some of the good news, I guess, although it becomes annoying later when his big body is literally blocking the way to go revive Rean's corpse and the like.  Anyway, actual boss has very badass 2HKO area damage on his physical (spread out!), full MT 4HKO w/ Seal (luckily, I block Seal on the two characters I care about for this, so who cares), and OHKO-anyone-even-with-defense-buffs to try to stop too much stally stratz.  Healing a lot and waiting for S-Crafts was still solid, although attempting to apply Burn was also good, since the percentage health damage is pretty huge for a boss, like 2000 a tick.  Had to use some revival items after Alisa ran out of EP, but eh, that's what they're there for.

This is a silly and minor nitpick, but is a setting adjustment, Falcom clearly wanted things to be a bit more modern so sure we have a freaking COMPUTER LAB at school.  Oh well, I'll forgive it, for all that this doesn't fit with Trails in the Sky where that kinda stuff was reserved for Zemurians, Ouroborous, and the Russel family.  Also, similar to Trails in the Sky SC C8, I like that the academic question on what exactly the super-powerful orbal tech for military use is - yeah, it's communications.  Deadliest weapon a soldier has is a radio, after all.  (Or, nowadays, a cell phone.)

As another random thought, Class VII is supposed to be a bit special because it's integrated across class lines.  But tons of other stuff seems integrated too...?  Like, sure, there's separate classes and people being snooty, but said classes mix all the time and have unified clubs and extracurricular activities and other such stuff.  So Class VII isn't THAT shocking.

--
Sopko: Yeah, I dunno.  Guess I'll find out soon enough, FOR SCIENCE.  I guess Elliot's staff damage is more relevant than I'd expect thanks to ARCUS links.

CK: So it seems indeed.  Well glad Our Heroes recognize that they're being given Bracer tasks, at least.  I see that the story finally remembered to introduce Chancellor Osbourne for people who didn't play Sky.  Bit o' slow-rolling there.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2017, 06:34:04 PM »
Also, super super belated response to Elf on FF13: Yeah, if Orphan 2 was a boss in Chapter 4 or the like and scaled appropriately, I can see people getting walled by it.  It is a bit of a puzzle boss.  However, it is a puzzle that you should have solved many many times already: stagger this dude, and attack while its defenses are down!  That is ~80% of bosses in the game.  It is a locked door but you should have already constructed the key for it.  If you simply have Relentless Assault - 2x RAV + COM - and spam auto combos, I wouldn't be surprised if that wins the fight.  I still think it's crazy weird people apparently lost to it in non-challenge runs.

No other boss in the game requires you to stagger it that quickly; only the eidolons even come close (and they're different in a few ways). It's less of a puzzle you've already solved and more of a final exam for that particular style of fight. Come in with the wrong paradigms and you're losing for sure (good thing you can set those after a reset!), you really really want Haste, etc. Even with a very chain-heavy paradigm (such as COM/RAV/RAV or SAB/RAV/RAV or my SAB/SAB/RAV), the margin for error is relatively small. As I said I strongly suspect you don't realise how small it is; you probably staggered him with a few seconds left and didn't know it. This is like throwing a strike on your first bowling shot and going "man it's crazy weird people have trouble with this".

Mighty No. 9

Beaten. Final boss took me a lot of tries and the second form was just crazy until I figured out its weakness. Endgame was fun enough despite having only two proper stages (and one variant pseudo-stealth one with a second PC).

It isn't one of the better MM games (though nor is it one of the bad ones; easily better than MM6/7/X3/X5/etc. IMO), but it's still reasonably fun. Decent enough array of weapons, a good set of boss fights, some neat mechanics ideas. Its downsides are the bad graphics/music/VA, occasional lag and stupid load times. Stage design is mixed rather than outright good like it often is for MMs, but so it goes. It won't be one of my all-time favourites, but it is a shame that this game was the victim of massive pre-judging for stupid reasons which prove that gaming culture is a cesspool.

6/10

Otherwise I am playing Tonfa Fantasy 7 and Fire Emblem Heroes, but will detail notes about those in their respective threads.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2017, 08:47:51 PM »
I think battle text is placed differently than the rest of the script, as it's part of the battle script and not the game script.

Really though, the PC version probably wouldn't have caught that anyway, since most of the re-translation was just grammatical/spell check errors.  "This guy are sick" would probably be caught by a grammar check, for example, since it has a pronounce/verb conflict, or "beacause" because it's just spelled wrong.  Something like "Attack while the tail is up! It'll counter attack with lasers!" has absolutely nothing wrong from a mechanical standpoint; it's spelled properly and grammatically it makes sense, so a quick run down of correcting typoes wouldn't catch that.

That seem plausible. I doubt those altering the SPAG with the PC FF7 would've been aware that the one line Cloud has when fighting the Guard Scorpion had become quite amongst the crowd who play the game.

Speaking of oddities with the PC version, I've just gotten Yuffie in the game and the screen you're in when you recruit her was playing "Chasing the Black-Caped Man" instead of "Descendant Of Shinobi". It was weird, it was fading into the latter but suddenly went to the former. Then again, I'm aware that this screen is what allow players to perform that "Yuffie Warp" glitch which can be useful for speedruns.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2017, 04:47:35 AM »
I'm going through the mobile Dragon Quests with extra challenge rules, because now that I'm used to the control scheme mobile has been ridiculously practical. In fact I don't even use computers anymore.

I went through DQ2 and 3 without the main hero. This forces a very pleasant mage-heavy playstyle. The removal of one party member really hurts, but DQ mages have more tricks than you'd expect. Boy did I struggle against the final bosses though.
The DQ3 port is pretty gorgeous, all other DQs on mobile look like trash in coparison.

I'm now going through DQ4 with a Torneko/Meena/Maya/Borya team. Maya owns, MVP forever, she's a total revelation, and Meena has been essential with Midheal and very useful with Sleep. Torneko is the most worthless tank ever and Borya has been very unimpressive (only one kind of attack spell so he's easily walled, Maya does way more damage usually, he gets his main trick Oomph relatively late and it's not very useful in this team, he has a level disadvantage and his durability blows)
Meena is the #2 best tank in this team and it's a tragedy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:54:22 PM by Fenrir »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »
Remake Meena is actually okay, so none of that is too surprising; I would be interested in how you'd feel about her on NES (where she'd still be your only healer but she'd be fragile as hell). Borya's main use strikes me as Acceleratle which is great against bosses as insurance (that + Oomph is pretty much why he's recommended for the main party normally), but yeah Maya certainly does more damage.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
I played Nes DQ4 a long time ago but don't particularly remember the game balance that well.
Still, her durability isn't really awesome or anything in the remake.

Accelerate is not very good with my current team because
1) Meena is not too slow
2) It is better to maximize damage than minimize risk, considering that risk is already very very high and Accelerate would only have a minor effect on it. Both Oomph and Sap take priority over Accelerate
3) Oomph Torneko / Sap boss also means Torneko heals more with the miracle sword. This was actually vital against Estark because Meena could not possibly afford to heal all 4 party members with her ST Healing.

Jesus, when do I get the sagestone.

Borya is very weak against randoms and his main use is buffing Torneko of all people against bosses. :(
He DOES make Torneko awesome. When Torneko isn't dancing / doing nothing / etc

Honestly you haven't lived until you've tried beating Baalzak and Estark with Torneko / Meena / Maya / Borya. I feel like I've barely won each of these battles.. I still haven't needed to do any levelling, though it took me several tries to get to the Zenithian Armor in That Cave. Encountering skeletons = Game over until Maya got Boom.
Leon was tough too, but since Sophia is forced for this fight I could remove Torneko and have a slightly better time.

I have literally finished each of those fights with Borya dead and he is lagging behind even more now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:56:07 PM by Fenrir »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »
Nevermind, Meena is the slowest. Huh. I think I gave her the mercury bandana

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2017, 08:14:41 PM »
From Young Zenny, DW4 NES:

Max HP: (Average = 256)
1. Ragnar 441
2. Alena 360
3. Solofia 270
4. Cristo 218
5. Taloon 215
6. Brey 174
7. Mara 149
8. Nara 124

--
It's coo, I don't remember NES that well either.  (I certainly didn't realize just how uber the two-attack weapon was for Alena, for example.)  also noooo don't be eaten by mobile gaming.  (Would be curious to hear what you think of Adventures of Mana if you keep at it, though.  I played the Vita version and the bosses were reasonably fun fights; not really sure how that'd translate to the mobile version, where I presume control would suddenly get a lot less precise!)