imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49854 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
Jiggs and Zelda I believe are unanimously considered the weakest characters in the game. So yeah, you got screwed that both of your favorites are terrible in Smash 4.

My all-time best main since 64 is Pikachu, but in Smash 4 I've been trying to learn Corrin, Cloud, Greninja, and Shulk. Because I have no shame in showing favoritism to JRPGs. Cloud is the easiest. Shulk is the most cerebral. Greninja is fast and frantic fun, but kinda unrewarding despite how much fun it is to jump around with him. Corrin is probably the character who suits my playstyle the best though I'm still having trouble getting used to her combos and optimizing her movement patterns.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »
Naw man according to the most recent SSB4 tier list Zelda is only fourth worst, which is actually an improvement over Brawl Zelda! (Although usual caveat that tier lists are designed for a style of play that may not be how us filthy casuals actually play. I still enjoy playing Jigglypuff just fine.)

I play more Palutena, Bowser, and Rosalina than anyone else; the first two are shamelessly favourite picks (combined with Bowser not sucking for the first time ever) but honestly are both very fun in their own way; Ros just has a unique and fun fighting style, vaguely like Ice Climbers but now attached to a character I actually care about who isn't from a shit game. I also frequently use Lucina, Mega Man, and Cloud.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
Europa Universalis 4- Playing as the Ottomans on Ironman mode. In the early 1600s, in pretty good shape. Definitely a ton of fun once you get adjusted to the usual Paradox learning curve.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
In terms of Sm4sh, my mains are Shulk, Zero Suit Samus, Lucario and Robin. I'm into all four of these characters' fighting style and in the case of the first three, I have a pet like for the games/series they are featured in (Xenoblade, Metroid and Pokemon). I also tried to get into Palutena, but I didn't have that much success with her to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:44:06 PM by LordDirtyBrit »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
Yeah, I've been fiddling around with EU4, for all that CK2 is still demanding more attention from me. 

Also, playing Civ6.  Currently on an Egypt game where I want to win via science, but am starting to get worried I may start veering towards a culture win.  Which would be a shame, since I do kinda want to get the easy achievements out of the way.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2017, 10:20:44 AM »
Dragon Quest Heroes - Finally got back to progressing this.  I had forgot how great King Captain K is.  Then there was an emotional cutscene with a child Healslime.  Game of the year every year.  Edit - forgot to say, the healslime is best buds with Yangus.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:22:49 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »
Smash talk? Ike player, checking in. Ike > Mii Brawler > Charizard for my top three. I also play a bunch of Wii Fit Trainer, Lucina, Lucario and some Link. Pac Man is also good times but I don't PLAY pac man so much as I just jump around dropping hydrants on people. Also to note, I only play 4-8 big melee battles, I don't care for 1v1 in smash at all.

For other games, got Fate//Extella recently and have been slowly plinking away at that. Good game, though I wish you could pick who your sub hero was in story mode for switch purposes. Beat Saber path, about halfway through Caster path. Poked at a few of the side stories. It feels like by the end of it all it'll have my same complaints about Sengoku Basara 3(it's all just the same stages against the same officers with the same gimmicks but with a different PC, over and over and over) but more style and with enemies that fight back more, so I'll probably not get tired of it as quickly as I did SB3.

Also been playing Binding of Isaac: Antibirth. A fan expansion that is strictly better in every way to the official expansions. The new zones are especially great, I like the option for higher risk/higher reward stuff in games like this.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Beat this. Got the good ending (not terribly hard to get). Final time was about 9 hours, which is halfway between my times on the other two Shantae games I've played.

Uncle Mimic keeps doing things which are incredibly sketchy and the series just keeps blowing it off and acting like he's a Good Guy. This time he built what would become the final boss for very nebulous reasons. When the inevitable reveal that the UOM is the main villain of the series comes in Shantae 8, let it be known that I called it.

This game is basically like Risky's Revenge (same transformations plus a few more) but better ine every way? It doesn't have RR's sluggishness, it's much prettier with better music, better humour, etc. Overall not as good as Pirate's Curse though; I think the pirate powers just make for a smoother gameplay experience (especially the Metroidvania aspects), and some other things I'll get to later.

The stage design is much more Mega Man (X) compared to both RR and Pirate's Curse: large, linear, multipart levels with checkpoints, but which you can return to to find various goodies, sometimes using other goodies you got previously to unlock them. There are vanishing blocks, spikes, and other platform trappings I associate with MM. Heck, the game even has a "slide down avoiding barrels and other threats" sequence which is such an obvious callback to MM8's "jump jump slide slide" that they apparently named the achievement for perfecting that area after it. (Too bad the Wii U version doesn't have those.)

Bosses are great. Even the relatively easier ones are a lot of fun. I liked how Giga Mermaid incorporated platforming elements, how the Dual Barons had that nasty dual threat thing going which I liked about PoR's best two boss fights, and how the final boss made me pull out animal forms for mobility purposes.

One minor oddity is that the game's checkpoint system saves your health when you get to that checkpoint. So if you get to a boss low on health you'll get wrecked a lot if you don't use items. (I got to Giga Mermaid with 3 health and eventually had to resort to using an item at the start of the fight.)

Speaking of items, they remain as crazy overpowered as ever and are essentially a soft difficulty slider; you can probably avoid dying ever if you stock up on them. Even more overpowered is your reward for collecting all the treasure keys, which yields you an accessory which causes all MP costs to go to zero. There is a non-charge healing spell. You literally can't lose with this combo. I liked the healing spell otherwise (it's very expensive) but obviously this is silly game-breaking. Once I figured that out I didn't use it either. The final boss battle was nasty as is often the case for Shantae but a bit less of a crazy spike up than the less two, so I didn't have to resort to item cheese.

Writing isn't as sharp as Pirate's Curse sadly. PC's story fit together surprisingly well; characters and story elements introduced early would end up relevant to later parts of the quest. This game feels a bit more patched together by comparison, and isn't as humourous overall (though absolutely still has its share of funny moments, such as every time Squid Baron is on-screen). The game feels a bit stale because it only has one notable new character and she despite a pretty big setup ends up quite minor, oh well.

The game also does feel rather light on content, sadly. There are lots of upgrades but in some cases the game lacks things to use them on, or they'll only be used once. The game has a similar number of "levels" as Pirate's Curse but they aren't as sprawling/Metroidvania-y, and while not precisely small, they aren't as big as PC's (which had two major parts, typically; one indoors and one outdoors). I also think the less explory stage design is inherently a bit worse unless you are really really good at it, and Shantae is only good rather than great. While I'm no fan of game bloat, I definitely think this game would be better served with about 25-50% more content or so, so you would have more time to put its tools to use.

That said it was still a lot of fun, and I'm basically guaranteed to pick up any DLC it sends my way. The music is great, thoroughly enjoyable platformer overall for what it was. Probably a 7/10.

Final Fantasy 13

I beat all the B rank missions except the ones which are obviously misclassified (Raktavija and Gigantaur, lolno), as well as the "A" rank fights against a Juggernaut and Tyrant, two enemies I've already beaten as randoms. I did this basically as a way to level up more for Chapter 13, because uh it is nasty. Every fight there is a struggle so far. I may detail more later.

Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
I like Roy a lot in sm4sh.

Also, I have my copy of Berseria waiting for me at home.

Looking forward to that!

In other news I platinum'd D3. There's still soooooooo many challenges I've yet to collect.  So that's something I can now crawl towards.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »
Fire Emblem Fates: Slaughtering scouted enemies to make characters feel better about each other
I think I'm about done.  The only supports I haven't seen are for characters I don't particularly give a fig about.  As the fruits of my labor, a rough ranking of FE Fates kidz by amusingness / interestingness in their supports & dialogue.  (Very roughly ranked best-to-worst left to right as well.)

Great!
These characters were usually better than most of the adult cast, and would have schticks that have a little bit of dimensionality & flex to them, and usually multiple personality traits.  You can tell they're good because they manage to get good reactions out of even really boring partners; like, Dwyer-Kiragi is great.  (Also act shocked that the Awakening cast shows up here.)
* Dwyer, Caeldori, Rhajat, Mitama, Asugi
Dwyer is a great case study in how to take a meh character and make them awesome.  Take Jakob, who is kinda boringly perfect, and make someone equally perfect - but lazy and sleepy, violently inappropriate traits for a servant.  Hilarity ensues.
Caeldori is interestingly perfect because everybody knows and acknowledges this, which makes it awkward. 
Rhajat is so over the top on her schtick that it's great.  Plus, they keep you off balance by having her actually be quite nice and friendly by surprise to random people someimes (She & Mitama hit it off instantly).  They smartly refocus her more on the 999% goth side than the obsessive Corrin-stalker side as well.
Mitama & Asugi are just consistently funny.

Decent
They did their thing and I liked said thing and it mostly worked.
* Hisame, Ignatius, Nina, Selkie, Sophie, Forrest
Hisame is a logical result of his father, bounces off interestingly with other characters (Caeldori he has a good conversation between two non-zany types where they disagree on how to honor their father; ), and has hobbies (pickles!  shogi!).
Ignatius is a big coward who FIGHTS FOR HIS FRIENDS.  Eek a bug. Funny and a little heartwarming.
Nina is very, very silly, but it mostly works.  I liked her going to a play with Shiro and rewriting it to include more yaoi.  The Robin Hood aspect was a bit of a miss, but whatever.
Selkie is very one-dimensional but usually amusing anyway.
Sophie: Avel does something crazy, hijinks ensue, repeat.  I'll take it.
Forrest: It'd be easy to mess up the "Trap" crossdresser character, but Fates shockingly enough did an okay job with it and found some solid genuine humor.

Meh
They did their thing but I was less of a fan of said quirk, or they dropped the ball with the quirk they had.
* Shigure, Ophelia, Siegbert, Midori, Shiro
Ophelia & Midori could have been cool, but it doesn't really pan out.  Heck, they even have a support that starts promising then fizzles out, just like them.  (Starts with Agent Scully Midori ragging on mystic Ophelia's prophecy nonsense, okay, cool, chemist-science vs. loopy magic rocks girl.  Then it goes straight boring.)
Shigure is a singer.  Okay.
Siegbert & Shiro are straights for crazier characters to bounce off of.  Siegbert is at least quiet and studious which I like, while Shiro's more of a jock.  But Hisame shows that straight characters can be done just fine and be interesting, while these two just kinda exist.

Boo hiss
I did not like these characters.
* Velouria, Soleil
Velouria thinks trash is treasure and is salty about when others get confused, we get it, that joke is maybe funny twice not twenty times.
Soleil stinks of fanservice bait so hard it corrupts everything about her.  hur dur hot girl-on-girl action and she likes to take her clothes off in public.  The localization did not save the character nearly as much as I thought they would, the fact that she inexplicably isn't a lesbian or something makes non-Forrest S supports hard to take seriously.  And hell,  she comes off as way too ludicrously horndog even ignoring sexuality, even for "playboy" type characters you can't write ALL their dialog as constantly lusting for action.

Little kid tier
These characters are hard to rate, as they uncomfortably ram into the wackiness of the kid scenarios harder than most, since these kids are like 9-11.  Even if portrayed perfectly accurately, there's only so far you can go with earnest youngster who should definitely NOT BE ANYWHERE NEAR DANGER.  Kiragi is also super-boring, aside from being a kid!  Percy has a schtick but I don't really like it.  Only Kana makes this work, just pretend they aren't actually deployed into danger ever.
* Kana, Percy, Kiragi

In short: Birthrightpremacy, their only boring kids are Kiragi & Shiro & maybe some shared kids.  Forrest/Nina/Ignatius are cool but only go so far.   (I'd say the reverse for the adults, where the CQ characters are usually more interesting/funnier, but BR makes up with the kids.)

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »
Metal Gear Solid: Finished disc 1. At the end of both Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid's first discs, a female character dies. One of them is irritating and clingy. The other one is Sniper Wolf.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Decided to return to this game to complete the remaining missions. I'm really enjoying the support missions that the game provides you after completing the main story as they are allowing me to quickly build up affinity with weaker characters (Phog and Frye I'm looking at you) so I can complete the quests centred around them.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2017, 12:15:19 AM »
Pokémon Duel:  I got Mewtwo in my first booster, so apparently I won the game?  Not too far into it, but so far it seems like strategy only goes so far, then it devolves into whoever gets a stupidly lucky roll first.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2017, 01:12:55 AM »
Define 'Pokémon Duel'

BS2 - Beat all the worlds sins so I am become the best Yokai.  I regret doign this immediately because now I have a job I want to be levelling even though it looks like -ja spells actually kinda suck.  I should just stop getting JP and run Mastered jobs and finish the game.  I was planning to do the aftergame, but "UUUUGH THIS GAME IS GOOD BUT I AM SO FUCKING OVER IT" kicked in half way through the Sins fights.  That sucks because it is right before the final dungeon.

Seriously you guys though this game is great.  You should all be adding me as Friend and playing it so my super powerful space ship the USS Fenrir can help you shoot down Cthulhu monsters from outerspace that are actually all the negative emotions of two lovers seperated, like seriously this game is a fucking N'Sync song turned into the highest concept  high fantasy story ever.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
I don't know if anybody in the DL is into Yakuza. They're not really amazing gameplay wise but the stories are basically dumb as hell manly soap operas and the side missions are great.

https://twitter.com/LennyReviews/status/821224344089149440

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2017, 10:42:12 PM »
Kazuma Kiryu is the hero we deserve.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:28 AM »
Overwatch:  The new capture the flag mode is surprisingly good.  It was really rough the first couple of days, with a lot of draws.  But now that people are getting better at it, it's turned out to be quite enjoyable.  I usually defend our flag solo as Symmetra so we can do a 5-man push on offense.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2017, 03:06:44 AM »
DMC4: Don't understand how a mechanical device works -> shoot the controls to make it work. Sounds right. I'm playing on normal out of stubbornness even though I'm goddamn terrible at these games.

I don't understand how Gloria doesn't dislocate her hips every single step she takes.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »
FF15: Did some Chocobo Festival Stuff.  It got me an easy Sky Gemstone so upgradable Chain Saw, yay!

Then found another Royal Arms Dungeon.  This is probably one of the worst handled dungeons in the game.  Tight Corridors are fine, BUT DON'T SHOVE HUGE WAVES OF BOMBS IN THEM.  You just watch your HP disappear out of nowhere because "...?", I don't know what they were thinking.

Gets worse when you reach near the bottom, and you have to fight a Red Giant with Flans.  Ok, that's not so bad.  Then you have to fight 2.  That's a bit excessive but ok...
...then 3 and a giant Snake woman...and that set up happens twice  These are GIANT ENEMIES that completely screw with the camera, in a relatively small area, they have massive amounts of HP, defense, etc.  A single Red Giant can take forever to kill, but 3 of them w/ a 4th enemy on the same tier who can use lots of status moves?  What the hell were they thinking?  That's not a fight where Skill matters, that's just a giant middle finger.

My reward for doing all this?

...a Chain Saw Great Sword.  Well I guess it wasn't all bad.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
Metal Gear Solid: About to fight Liquid Snake. I didn't actually have that many problems with the key temperature quest which everyone complains about. Going up and down Metal Gear Rex constantly was annoying though. Also, the second fight with Raven is the best boss in the game. If only because the focus is more towards stealth than combat.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2017, 12:36:43 AM »
Final Fantasy 13 - Secondary roles challenge beaten!

Final dungeon was just nasty more or less throughout; there were no real gimme fights. Dagonites I really wanted a sentinel for... but their knockdown attack hits a line so even that's not perfect, and Veil is important too. Sacrifices are more Veil and just staying on top of debuffs; Fog is great on them if it lands. There are a couple fights against ~6 of these lower-tier enemies total and they were insanely tough; I beat one of them after a bunch of tries because it was kinda in the way.

Motorcycles are the real threat, though, Plasma Cannon is MT 4000+ damage which is a a OHKO if not buffed and still terrifying if I am. By itself I can deal with them but when they start getting competent support or appearing in pairs? Yeesh. Staggering works well (since Plasma Cannon becomes easily interrupted then) but I can't do it fast enough outside pre-emptives. My only real recourse for them in such circumstances is to try to get Pain or Daze to land but this isn't easy and spending time trying to do it and having it fail invites a wipe.

Megrim Thrashers are also powerful (huge ST damage) but can be controlled alone well enough. With support they're... yeah. I eventually figure out how to dodge that fight. <_< Sanctum Templars are scary but not too bad, they'll use Dispel but not so quickly buffs aren't useful, and Fog/Barthunder both cut down their offence considerably. There's a Tyrant pallette-swap called Immortal. I do not beat him.

I rotate my team around a bunch, with Snow (for Pain/Fog/Slow/Daze) and Lightning (for SEN) seeing some playtime, but my most common team is Fang/Sazh/Vanille.

Bosses:

Bandersnatch and Jabberwocky: Honestly these guys are easier than most of the randoms! You have to be awake during them because they do have some damage but not much to say. The one with more HP is strangely more vulnerable, Deprotect/Deshell are really great as always. I don't have much to say here.

Wladisaus: (around 8 resets?) On the other hand this guy is a nightmare. He uses an attack called Mounting Contempt, which does somewhere north of 5000 damage. So far, so bad, but hey, we have buffs, and it does take a while to charge. Unfortunately, every subsequent time he uses it, the attack gets BETTER, as it charges faster each time, and from the second use onwards it's paired with an attack which can dispel, Deprotect, and/or Deshell before use (the move always hits the lower defence). If you're under Deprotect/Deshell, get dunked on. The solution is to have your player-controlled Synergist ready to IMMEDIATELY apply Protect(ra)/Shell(ra) if the status lands. Besides that, Veil helps, Sazh's healing helps, Deprotect helps, the usual. He will mix in relatively fast and decently powerful physicals, so of course keeping defensive buffs up is a good idea, Veil too.

Tiamat Eliminator: Certainly easier. Tiamat is fairly interesting, but her damage isn't too hot (she uses ice attacks mostly, lol I am so clever guys). Basically she switches between two forms. The flying form is immune to all Saboteur stuff like Proudclad (including Dispel, and she does buff herself midway through this stage) and rains down mostly ice attacks which can cause slow or imperil (making them stronger). Esuna for Imperil is nice! The ground form is vulnerable to SAB, but instead all but immunes SYN, since her attacks come fast and furious and add dispel. The ground form is more dangerous because it generally does more damage, but switching between them resets her chain gauge. So yeah I do actually beat this on the first try though it isn't totally trivial.

Before Tiamat there are random encounter Wladisalauses, one of which has support. lolnope

Barthandelus 3: (around 5 resets?) The big problem here is Ultima, which does random, non-typed damage... sometimes not too much, but it can do up to 4200. Which is extremely painful for me (my HP is around 5000). He's good at keeping HP down through other means too: Thanatosian Laughter this time is a powerful MT gravity attack (~87% CHP), and like Bart 2 he constantly peppers you with LASERS. So sooner or later Ultima rolls high at a bad time and I am dead.

Ultimately I decide to swap Fang for Snow. There are two reasons for this: one, Slow is actually better than Haste when applicable, and he's vulnerable to it. Spacing out those Ultimas and Laughters more is huge. The other is that this is a long fight, and keeping Protect/Shell up on everyone all the time is incredibly valuable, so the longer-term versions of the buffs prove their worth. No, they don't stop the big attacks, but they cut down on laser damage which adds up hugely. Sazh is a must for Curasa. I experiment without Vanille but no COM is unacceptable here; my winning run takes 16 minutes which is kinda close to the Doom limit already. Otherwise strategy is simple enough, Sazh heals or debuffs, Snow buffs and slows (and heals if neither is needed), Vanille brings the hurting, and I switch to two Sentinels for every Ultima or Laughter. This is a simple fight but not easy at all, certainly the endgame boss against whom low HP hurts the most, as we'll see. (Wladislaus' post-debuff damage is murder at almost any level.)

Orphan 1: The big surprise is that this is the easiest boss of the final chain. I have a plan lined up for this one: screw Commandos, use Lightning/Sazh/Fang for poison, healing, and haste. Very clever of me. However you don't get a chance to switch between the fights unless you die and I... don't. What starts out as a scouting run to feel out his AI specifics turns into a win. Some of it is that I get a little lucky (despite my lack of Death blocker [that was also a planned setup change], ID is only rarely used and never hits) but some of that is that, while not optimised, I do have a lot of the tools to control him.

With Snow/Vanille I can bring out the buff parade: Protect/Shell, Veil, Brave on Vanille, etc. The first three are what matter. This largely controls his offence; nothing he does can hit harder than around 3000 damage, and only two rarely-used moves actually break 1000. The bigger issue is this: all debuffs must perish! Orphan can land most of 'em. In order: Daze gets removed by an item, Deprotect/Deshell by Snow recasting the opposite buff, Poison by an item (or Esuna, in all cases), Pain/Fog if necessary. Veil makes him land less of these and it's usually not too hard to recover. The first four are really crucial because they make it possible for Merciless Judgement to kill, a 99% gravity move, or Dies Irae, which has a base damage of over 4000 (but is only used rarely and only at low HP).

Besides that, offence is just a nice bonus here, because Orphan can be poisoned! So Sazh can do that, when he isn't on Esuna duty. (He can also be hit by Slow, so Snow's other perk is definitely still active.) Poison him three times and you win, pretty much. I do still run offence since Vanille doesn't have much else to do besides the odd SEN switch for a big attack and Veil buffing when that's needed, and hey it helps some especially with Deprotect active, but yeah poison is definitely the real workhorse of this fight. The fight takes around 9 minutes.

Orphan 2: (about ~15 resets) Okay so let's talk about this one. After one reset where it's obvious a Fang-less party has zero chance, I go back to Fang/Sazh/Vanille.

Totally unlike the first form, Orphan 2 gives you just 7 minutes to win (Bart 3 and most other major bosses give you 23, Orphan 1 gives you 33). He is invincible until you stagger him (and is immune to poison, sadly), and has a high stagger point. But here's the real problem: about once every minute, he will use Temporal Hollow, which resets his chain gauge, and removes any debuffs from him and buffs from you... pretty much resetting the battle! Except any damage you took stays and any buffs/debuffs favouring him stay. Grah. So basically you get six shots to stagger him. Once you do, you have to do as much damage as possible fast, because when the stagger ends it's back to invincibility for him, this time with a pile of buffs.

On his own turns he'll use one of three attacks. One is a short-range magical blast which damages and slows. Slow sucks! The good news is that, if you don't try to use physicals on him, you won't close in to close range, and you'll be immune. One key strategy is to Librascope him immediately so that my PCs realise that physicals are useless (the AI seems to prefer magic if neither does damage... possibly this fight is the reason?). The other two attacks are still a problem though. One is a full-MT physical. It does some modest damage; who cares. The problem is that it launches everyone in the air for a long time, which, combined with the get-up animation, loses you a lot of valuable time, meaning Temporal Hollow comes sooner. If he uses this a lot there's... not much you can do, try again next cycle loser. It says everything about how bad Curse is that it doesn't stop this from launching. (Using physical attacks against a cursed Orphan DOES make you immune to launching, but uhhh see the comments about the slow move; this is not worth it.) He also has an attack which inflicts Pain and Fog. Wastes time, use the appropriate item and keep blasting. Finally, there's Kaleidoscopic Ray, which exists strictly to keep the player "honest": it ALWAYS targets the leader and does up to 4800 damage. Ow! So yeah, you can't neglect healing. Protect+Shell can reduce this, but... well.

The problem is that you gotta stagger him fast. Every buff you cast has to be weighed against the time spent casting it. Obviously Haste is worthwhile (Orphan 2 can be slowed but it's hard to land and doesn't affect Temporal Hollow so it's much less valuable). For a while I use Protect/Shell but eventually I settle on not. Kaleidoscopic Ray can be tanked anyway, especially with the maxed Imperial Armlet to reduce its damage. But, even after hammering out all the details of my strategy, it's not enough. The game is balanced around you having multiple Ravagers here (though Tri-Disaster is ill-advised, as his launch attack stops your chain-gaining), and I don't. The best I can do is RAV/SAB/COM with my team. And that's... sometimes enough! I'll paradigm shift every two turns to get the free ATB recharge, sometimes throwing in Sazh Medic to get in some healing. But even if I do everything perfectly (which includes not dying to Kaleidoscopic Ray of course), I have to hope his AI is very friendly, and I barely stagger him on time. What's worse, I don't one-round him on a stagger. And I'm never able to successfully stagger him twice before the counter runs out (or Kaleidoscopic Ray is fatal).

So eventually, I hit on what I hope is a Laggy- and Grefter-approved strat. Okay, see, Fang is my only Ravager. The class that adds the second most chain is... Saboteur. So RAV/SAB/SAB works, right? Well... without COM, I can't do good damage to close the deal. So no, one of Vanille or Hope must stay. Vanille doesn't have SAB under my challenge, while Hope does, but all he has is the junky MT spells which are bad at adding chain on top of their other problems. Except, except, except! Hope has Dispel.

And thus it was that I manually spammed Dispel like crazy against a boss who had no buffs in place, allowing me to stagger him quickly enough. As usual I set up Haste first (fortunately the AI obliges), but after that it's the paradigm shift madness to get in all the SAB/SAB/RAV I can. Hope/Sazh/Fang. I actually hadn't used Hope for the entirety of Chapter 13 since Vanille had largely outpaced him; I burned through his 600k CP to just get him ALL THE MAGIC POSSIBLE. With the extra time right before the stagger I set Fang to cast offensive buffs and with Sazh having landed all of Imperil/Deprotect/Deshell, the blitz was on, and this time I even actually killed him in the first stagger.

Achievement unlocked: Superstar. Apparently this is for 5-starring the final boss which I'd never done before, but I'll take it as a reward for beating this challenge.

:)

I'll probably post more about final thoughts on the PCs and stuff later, but this post is already long enough, so not now.

Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2017, 06:22:14 PM »
My girl doesn't want me playing Berseria when she isn't home.

Soooooooo

I impulse bought Yakuza 0. Let the soap opera commence!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
My girl doesn't want me playing Berseria when she isn't home.

Soooooooo

I impulse bought Yakuza 0. Let the soap opera commence!

Bought Yakuza 0 the other day as well, played the first 2 chapters so far and now dicking around Tokyo.  Good times.  Combat is kinda clunky, but you can smash a dude's face into a urinal or chuck a dude out a window, so who cares?  A+++++++++  chuck a dude out a window/10
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:36:04 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »
Metal Gear Solid: Beaten Liquid Snake, the final boss of the game. Overall, the game was pretty decent. Obviously the visuals haven't aged well and the combat needs a lot of fine tuning, but the stealth sections were fun and the story was fairly enjoyable with some interesting characters. Believe it or not; Solid Snake was actually one of the weaker characters in my eyes, mainly because most of his dialogue was parroting what his superiors or his adversary would state for the convenience of the player.

Pokemon Moon: Completed the Alola Dex and I have transfered all of my final stage Pokemon and legendaries from Y/Alpha Sapphire. Time to take on the Battle Tree.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
"Metal Gear?!"

Freezer Raven was definitely the best fight in the game just because it actually gave you ample opportunity to unload all that esoteric weaponry you'd been accumulating the whole time (mines, C4, sniping all very good options there).