imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49869 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
Bloodborne: oh my god you guys this gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

(thoughts later when I finish it. one thing I can say now though: Father G is waaaaaaay too hard for that point in the game. also forests are scawy. caves too.)

(seriously there's no point in having a lrn2play boss if he's gonna be harder than like half the game)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:41:43 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
I maintain the Bloodborne is one of the best game ever made that is a flaming heap of shit to play.  Like actually trash garbage.

Bravely Second - huh so you can do a pretty effective full screen close up to do serial killer stuff on a 3DS with textures that low and low poly models.  One more point for cell shading.

Also did I mention that it is great that all the members of the Imperial Army are muppets?  Because it is.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »
Grefter why do you care about the feet of like 10x10 pixel sprites
You are dead to me for praising mobile FF5's aesthetics
Will still probably buy the game

FFD black mage SCC: Vata died so easily after getting Magic Font, I didn't expect it. Drain doing 750 damage. OM NOM NOM NOM.
I probably could have beaten him without Magic Font by rushing him, but eh. It's not like I grinded like a madman.

Now I have -ga spells, everything burns again.

This game's plot is so anime that once the party starts being on par with the Four Generals of the Empire, and stops dying in plot battles against them anymore, the game introduces the Four New Better Generals of the Empire so you can die in plot battles again

The next chapter begins with Alba throwing fireballs around inside a ship just to kill some rats
This is so dumb

Divinity Original Sin: Apparently this is the best WRPG in the last few years. It sure is a WRPG so far. Enhanced console edition is clunky to control. I mean, it's the best they could have done to adapt the PC version and I have to applaud their efforts, but it definitely feels like it was made for mouse + keyboard.

I'm playing on tactician mode with two women, one an inquisitor and one a wanderer.
Tactician mode is hard. First battle a dude summoned a cloud of poison, my inquisitor fired in the middle and everything exploded. Holy shit. My wanderer's spider summon helps a ton just by tanking hits.
I like how you can define both of the character's personality. Both of my characters are selfish jerks, of course, but in different ways!

This may be too much of a WRPG for me not to be a bit bored by it. Let's see:
1) I have to heal about 10-15 times after every battle to fully heal, waiting for the countdown each time
2) Oh god damn it not ORCS
3) The goal of the game is to investigate a murder, but I just murdered two guards and nobody gives a shit.

XCOM 2: This game definitely solves the biggest issue with XCOM 1, which almost ruined the game (encouraging stalling tactics) It's... still definitely too bloated to be as good as Invisible Inc, but probably worth a playthrough.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:00:51 PM by Fenrir »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »
Divinity is a game that I wish was all combat. The battles are fun but everything in between it is so trite that I can't bring myself to play it unless I'm playing co-op and making someone else do all of that for me.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
I maintain the Bloodborne is one of the best game ever made that is a flaming heap of shit to play.  Like actually trash garbage.

Oh I'm rather enjoying the gameplay.  I've never been shy about trading hits, and the health-restoration mechanic really changes up combat decisionmaking after three samey Souls games.  I imagine PVP is a flaming pile, but when is it not?

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »

I've actually come to conclude that it has the most fun gameplay in the series--so long as we're sticking to discussion purely about the physics and not about the many little polish oversights (no direct warping between lamps, resources not refilling on rest at a lamp, being out of vials after death actually being a possible thing).

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »
It trades some polish issues for others.  Easy, reversible weapon mods are a huge step up.  Functionally no weapon durability (outside PVP I guess?) is also a big deal.  But yeah, the functionality of Hunter's Dream vs. bonfires means you can't just sit down, figure out how many souls you need to top off a level, then gank a dude or two to even it out.  Which is a minor annoyance.  I would say that the extra step needed for fast travel is less important than a couple of bosses who are just too far away from checkpoints even with shortcuts.

Speaking of, the beauty of the level design in these games, winding you around, opening up shortcuts, seeing past and future areas in the distance, above or below, never ceases to amaze me.  Tucking an entire area into physical space between two other ones you visit first without drawing much attention to it is a staggering artistic accomplishment.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:50:20 PM by NotMiki »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 12:52:48 AM »
Speaking of WPRGs, has anyone in the DL played Tyranny?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 08:09:28 AM »
Speaking of WPRGs, has anyone in the DL played Tyranny?

Duh.  It's fucking great.  Have you ever wanted to play a "follow the letter of the law" simulator? Or you can just be Judge Dredd.  It's up to you.  Player agency is a beautiful thing.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
Sun:  I may be the Pokémon League Champion, but fuck if I can get anywhere in Battle Tree or Battle Royal.  Spent the last couple of days making some super pokes with 4+ 31 IVs, and still best I can do is a 5 win streak.  This is some bullshit.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 06:00:09 PM »
Bloodborne: oh my god this gaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:45 PM »
Despite being pretty blown away by how good the polish in DS3 was, I ultimately did have to conclude that Bloodborne is the best entry in the series on the combat while retaining the features they're known for (excellent, fluid level design and being fucking gorgeous.) Also has the best boss fights by a fair margin, and that tends to be a big deal to me.

Father G for hardest boss though, srsly, I have to agree there. He's still like twice the number of resets I had on anything else in the entire game.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 06:54:16 PM »
Despite being pretty blown away by how good the polish in DS3 was, I ultimately did have to conclude that Bloodborne is the best entry in the series on the combat while retaining the features they're known for (excellent, fluid level design and being fucking gorgeous.) Also has the best boss fights by a fair margin, and that tends to be a big deal to me.

Father G for hardest boss though, srsly, I have to agree there. He's still like twice the number of resets I had on anything else in the entire game.

Father G definitely stomped me around a lot, but Ludwig took the cake for me. That fight took me nearly a week.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
Father G is waaaaaaay too hard for that point in the game.

Lol get good at parrying, he's actually pretty easy. I had more of a hard time with Vicar Emilia than him for sure.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
*shrug* I have sunk hours and hours into Bloodborne at this point and at no time at all did the controls ever feel good in my hands.  That completely kills any potential for a Souls style game.

You came out of your win with Poppa G a lot more bewildered than you did with Amelia though Zenny.

Bravely Second - I didn't document my choice for whether to introduce co-ed schooling to the female dominated Florem or not.  The actual arguments put forward by the Co-Ed side are skeevy and gross, but still are ultimately right, though I also kinda respect the option being there for women to isolate themselves.  But yeah I just think Monk is trash and figured sure Valkyrie lets go.

Currently chasing whether or not to let a pop star do a modern cover of a song someone's grandfather wrote.  I don't think I am happy with IP law working that far back.  Need to see what pirate man has to say (and I am siding with pirate man because I want to use Patissier)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
Father G is waaaaaaay too hard for that point in the game.

Lol get good at parrying, he's actually pretty easy. I had more of a hard time with Vicar Emilia than him for sure.

lol get good at backing off and healing or something?  Iunno, I beat that boss in one try, and as far as I understand it, I did it fairly early.  Father G definitely took more on the order of 20 tries.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:38:39 PM by NotMiki »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 10:11:58 PM »
s'okay, zenny can't deal that he is garbage at most things so he needs to rub it in wherever his dick will accommodate

I don't think there's anyone who didn't wipe a fair amount at Father G on their first playthrough. Boss difficulty does tend to be a case by case thing for most people.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »
I beat Pops G on my first try without having any idea beforehand what was on the other side of that gate.

But I was so terrified afterward that I had to stop playing for the night just so the nervous tremors would stop.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 11:29:08 PM »
*reads up on FF15

The goblin & samurai dungeon is perfectly back track-able.
I mean, that's what I did after the samurai stabbed me in the belly.

And then I came back completely detroying the samurai after being prepared.
I think I have mentioned this before, but Posion is a wonderful thing. Especially if you want to kill monsters that's 20+ level higher than you.
Magic truly is your best friend in this game.

Brute force? Completely not necessary.
No I mean, you don't talk about brute force until you get that bow Phantom Sword in this dungeon.
Oh, you need to unlock the phantom sword in the story first before you can pick it up.

And this is how you brute force:

After entering aftergame, tweak the mag to 2000+
Equip the bow Phantom Sword.
Have Ignis use his Round Assault command.
I walked over the after game bosses by doing that sans a couple gimmicky one.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 11:57:09 PM »
s'okay, zenny can't deal that he is garbage at most things so he needs to rub it in wherever his dick will accommodate

I don't think there's anyone who didn't wipe a fair amount at Father G on their first playthrough. Boss difficulty does tend to be a case by case thing for most people.

I have a theory that everyone who reflexively dodges backward wipes to Father G.  Maybe everyone who reflexively dodges to the side wipes to Amelia?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:08:56 PM by NotMiki »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2017, 01:05:03 AM »
That's possible. I died plenty to Amelia and only beat her during my first playthrough with help.

Boss difficulty, kinda swingy sometimes depending on the player.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2017, 01:09:26 AM »
Sometimes.  Literally all the times.  Souls bosses find your weakness.

also lol dodging not forward to the left after DS2 says the person in the DL who is literally the worst at the games

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »
That's possible. I died plenty to Amelia and only beat her during my first playthrough with help.

Boss difficulty, kinda swingy sometimes depending on the player.

THE CHAMP.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
Pokesun:  Right after I complained about Battle Royal being too hard, I zoomed right through it and beat Master Rank.  Now my character can throw pokeballs behind her back because she's a fucking Idol.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2017, 11:11:22 PM »
My brother called me and was like, "Let's play Diablo III." So, playing Diablo III: a thing that I am now doing.

I load up the chargen screen and the default option is shoulderpads. Just shoulderpads with maybe a dude buried under them somewhere. Never change, Blizzard. I ignore all the properly clothed classes and roll a monk, because if you give me the option of punching the shit out of everything then fuck you, I'm gonna punch the shit out of everything.

I found some shields but am ignoring them in favor of dual-wielding knives. You guys, I don't need to block, I've got backflips.