Register

Author Topic: Reptiles: Andrew and LD's non-DL hobby  (Read 1903 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Reptiles: Andrew and LD's non-DL hobby
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:58 AM »
I was going to write a whole long story about where these guys came from and who they were, but I decided it was easier and less painful to just show them. So here you go: a bunch of reptiles. I apologize for the quality of the photos. My camera doesn't like the confusion of a busy background, and it decided to make the details of the tanks super sharp rather than the faces of the geckos. Alas. I'll set up a light box one of these days.

This first one is Greel, Andrew's first. He's a male reticulated gargoyle gecko, about 2 years old now.

This is Anonymous ("Nonny" for short). We bought her as an adult from someone in the area. She's about 3-4 years old (we're guessing), a female striped gargoyle gecko purchased as an eventual mate for Greel. She's ginormous, however, so Greel has some growing to do before he gets any action.

The next set are the Harem of Cresteds. They share a tank, because for some reason 3 or so females and 1 male get along quite nicely.

Atropos, the male crested gecko. He was purchased because of an insanely good deal on a trio (hence the Fates name scheme) of tailless cresteds. Best deal ever. (By the way -- crested geckos can never grow their tails back once they're lost.)

Clothos, female crested gecko. She's a little weaker than the others, definitely the omega of the pack.

Lachesis, female crested gecko. She's got gorgeous dalmation spots, a trait she has passed on successfully to her babies.

Cevynne was a late addition to the pack. She was called Cevynne ("seven") because -- and this is brilliant, guys -- she was the seventh (and latest) addition. She's about 4-5 years old, we think. You can't really tell in these pictures, but the whole reason we bought her is because she is a GORGEOUS dappled green and yellow when she's calm. Plus, unlike the others, she still has her tail. She's also the biggest and fattest and most mellow, the little dragon of the tank. (She's "my" gecko.)

This last one has nothing to do with geckos. He's a 5-foot 2006 Trans-Pecos Rat Snake, a gift to myself (with Andrew's help) to keep me company when I first moved up to Berkeley. He's extremely mellow and well-mannered and usually a pretty good eater as well. I didn't take him out of his tank tonight to take this photo because he's on the prowl, waiting for me to give him his weekly rat. Warm fingers are easily mistaken for food. :p

Here is what happens when geckos get confused and try to run away:

Don't worry. It was only about a 3 inch drop. :p Guess gecko toes don't stick as well to tree byproducts as they do to the trees themselves. Hah.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:47:21 AM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Reptiles: Andrew and LD's non-DL hobby
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:51:43 AM »
Run! It's GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!

His eyes are even blue(ish). Amusing<G>

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
Well, I guess if you ever need to sell car insurance, you're set in that department. 

Taishyr

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »
Hee, geckos.

Toro moment: Is Ceyvnne another language for seven or is it just a somewhat slurred seven? I ask 'cuz, um, well, toro.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
I named Anonymous. I named Kha. I named Cevynne. You can see that I am clearly very creative with names. I was just going to call her "Seven," but because we had a god/deity type thing going with the name scheme of most of the rest, I figured I should find something to tie it in with. So.

She's an Anglicization of Cebhfhionn, a Celtic goddess of inspiration.   

Taishyr

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:01:51 PM »
Hehe. Fair 'nuff, then.

To be fair, I can think of what I would name one dog (Achilles) and one cat (Claymore). From there, no clue in hell.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
Snaaaaaake!

*cough*

I don't know if I'd be able to handle feeding them (are the rats already dead >.>) but other than that I think reptiles are pretty nifty.

Thanks for showing us your collection Lady Door - I think Atropos and Cevynne look the coolest :)
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »
The feeding thing was a little squicky for me at first, too, but I had practice. I worked at a museum a couple years ago, ran the "Nature Lab" (read: live animals and plants) exhibit and was always in charge of feeding the durn things. Gopher snake, king snake, rosy boa, leopard geckos, hissing cockroaches, black widow... either the squick factor doesn't last or the job doesn't. :p

They are frozen, so at least I don't have to deal with that. This is also good because the two rats I own happen to live in a cage not too far from the snake tank. I can imagine the horror of connecting the two in my mind just as the snake ate. <_<;;

Thanks, CT. ^_^ Andrew asked me to take pictures because we hadn't done so in a while, and to post them... just because. XD

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
Do you ever stick the reptiles in a cage together and poke them until they fight eachother?  Because if you're not, you could totally make some extra dough south of the border running lizard fights.