Author Topic: Draft team tourney thingy  (Read 526 times)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Draft team tourney thingy
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:00:15 AM »
So I was going through old threads, and remember this?: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6819.0

I was wondering if people wanted to do another draft run, perhaps have a little more fun with it by adding some restrictions/matches this time. Post here if you're interested.

<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Draft team tourney thingy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
You know I'm interested. :-* Your hero needs to ride again.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 04:29:39 PM »
Tentatively interested.  Like the voting part sounds fun but drafting in real time seems hard to arrange?  But if everyone agrees there and we settle on slow motion versions I'd be down.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Somewhat interested.  I've been meaning to nominate PS2 Motherbrain of the insane 200 agility for something so am willing to contribute a few characters.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »
I'd be potentially interested, sure, but I'd recommend figuring out what changes to mix things up are done sooner rather than later.

A few thoughts:
* Maybe lower power level?  Either ban Godlikes outright (H/M/L draft?  H/H/M/L?), or do something like ban Godlike bosses.  (note that all 8 GL picks in the previous tourney were bosses, for obvious reasons)
* Maybe ban a few of the Usual Suspects That Break Open Team Matches.  Tricky though since some of the "fun" is from using such abusive characters, of course.  Tidus, Jane Maxwell, and Aika come to mind. 

Also, note that there wasn't a lot of voting & commentary in the wrap-up thread ( http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=6821.0 ), which is fine, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high on people voting the crazy challenges.  The draft itself seems the fun part.  (Also, if you DO want people to vote it, might be best to keep it to ranked-ish games, aka no PS2 hype.  If you do include non-ranked games, maybe suggest that people throw out some provisional rankings openly of potentially interesting picks in advance so that people aren't blindsided by hey-look-I-thought-Cold Steel-Alisa-was-a-Light.)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:24:33 AM »
Re: Snowfire

Some changes I've thought of this time
1) Restrict Godlike noms to no godlike bosses I think is a good idea. The other alternative is to restrict it to a certain ranking value. I've gone over the problem with the latter with you (it's not a super accurate way to judge worth in this type of tourney. See also: Tidus). The former works but there are Godlike bosses that could be interesting noms with the right support that we'd be shutting out that way. I'm thinking of going with the 1st option and maybe saving the second restriction for a third run if it kicks off.

2) Agree on banning the usual suspects that have ridiculous value in team matches. The only problem is: do we know who they all are and what sort of penalty do you want to attach to them. You could hardban but that ruins part  of the fun as you said. The advantage of putting a penalty on such a choice is that you can choose them but they'd be more prohibitive to do so. Maybe choosing one of them means you have last pick on the next cycle?

As for post draft, I'm thinking of just  doing something similar to rolling a few team matches out instead of pitting against Head-to-head. I don't think people were really interested in that part, but the original purpose of the 1st draft (if you remember) was to figure out which characters were much more meaningful in a team than dueling. So while we  known Tidus/Aika/Jane are worth way more than their stated  value, I'd be interested in finding out who else is a better team player in the DL setting.

And yes, for draft picks, HIGHLY recommend doing only those with decent draws from CKDL/Futurama/PG or those with very detailed stat topics so we can actually math it out if necessary.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself