Author Topic: DLCon the 6th: Texas, Take Two  (Read 16067 times)

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DLCon the 6th: Texas, Take Two
« on: December 12, 2010, 12:04:30 AM »
Okay. Been long enough and since I'm not sure at this point when the forum move is going to be completed, I should go ahead and get this started.

The current plan for DLCon 6 is to host it in Austin again, currently towards the end of June - the weekend of 6/23-6/26.

After looking at rental house prices and checking my apartment for usable space, the plan is to run the con activities out of my apartment, while the attendees stay at a hotel about 2 miles from my place. The hotel I'm looking at is here:

http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ6338&propId=6338

As the usual, this is the topic for posting if you're coming. I intend to check with the hotel to see if any kind of group rate is available given the number of people we have coming, although I don't have any info in that regard just yet.

Ye Grande List of Attendees:

Confirmed:
Hal - apartment
Alex - his house
Snow - Hal's
Grefter - Hal's
Taishyr
Sopko
Gate
Cmdr
Tallychu
Yakko
mc
OK (+car)
Meeple
Cap'n K (+car)
NEB
Ciato
Dhyer
Super  
VSM
Xeroma
Shale

Maybe:

Andy/LD
NotMiki
Yoshiken
Tide
Ephraim
Zenny
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:18:22 AM by Halbarad »
- Have you ever contemplated suicide?
 - Frequently. But only for others.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: DLCon the 6th: Texas, Take Two
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »
Coming for certain, not backing out.  Would like to come early and annoy the Hal and Alex with the Snows if possible.  Dates is good, can plan tickets and time off work now.

Much appreciated Hal.  Would crash at house during or pay for a place (or annoy the Snow/Hal again).  Flexible.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:11:20 AM »
My apartment is definitely open for international folks, new place is pretty sizeable so I can sleep at least three in bed-like arrangements (four if you don't mind sharing a sleeper sofa, and more if you don't mind floor+blanket/sleeping bag).

Taishyr

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:26:47 AM »
I'll be coming in/leaving via train.

This is me stating that yes, barring apocalyptic events, I intend on coming.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:27:34 AM »
We can probably take 1-2 people here as well, if you don't mind couch/cotlike arrangements.  And cats.  Lots of cats.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:45:44 AM »
My monetary situation is bad, and if I could save $150+ on room stuff it would make my chances of going significantly higher. As it is right now... I'm working on getting a job, so too early to say. If I get one then yes, if I don't then no way.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:16:09 AM »
I will be in attendance, barring some unforeseen circumstance.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »
I'm already working on getting there (visa interview schedule, probably buying my ticket by February, already have my vacation time pre-emptively scheduled for June), so chances are looking good. Unless an unforeseen disaster happens, I'm in the game.

EDIT: I'm also banking on Hal being able to house me in order to make things simple - I'll be staying a good two weeks, after all. I'm already scheduling things based on the 23-26 weekend, though, so if you guys have it on the 30th, I'm going to miss the con itself (because fuck if I'm missing the trip).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:51:22 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:58:53 AM »
I'll be along as well, of course. Rental house or nearby hotel for lodgings will work just fine.

EDIT: I can seriously do whenever for dates, so no worries from me on that angle.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:01:08 AM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 03:01:39 AM »
I will be in attendance, barring some unforeseen circumstance.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:03:03 AM »
Not sure if I'll be able to attend. July works best for me.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 03:54:23 AM »
Andrew and I are 75% at this point. Need to see what happens in between now and, say, March.

Definitely CANNOT make mid-June, but late June/any part of July should be fine.

Would be willing to stay at whatever rental gets wrangled up. Will also consider renting a car.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Idun

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 04:46:51 AM »
I intend to come. I may just drive. That means I can be around music/things (?). I have no current, dire financial plans. Seems feasible! (: I'd love to be there. Gives me enough time for gas money, etc. anyway.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 05:45:08 AM »
July's lousy for me (as in, conflicts with the hypothetical summer job I haven't landed yet), but I'll do my best to make it.  I'll let you know for sure much later.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
Will definitely be doing my best to make it, but, as per usual, money constraints could be a huge problem here. If I can make it (and I'll take a look over the next few weeks how I'm doing for money and decide on that) then the later it is, the better.

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 02:12:56 PM »
One other thing I'm considering, although it's a bit rougher on logistics (we'd need more cars/drivers): having the con without a rental house.

PROS:

- Cheaper. Renting out hotel rooms, split 4-ish ways each, will be cheaper than the $50/night deal we're looking at with the most reasonable rental house deal. In addition, if we have enough people booking rooms in the same hotel, we may be able to swing a group discount of some kind.
- More comfortable. Assuming people share hotel beds, everyone gets a bed - no having to deal with bunking on couches or air mattresses. Groups going to bed at different times is also less of an issue, as there'll be separate rooms and plenty of bathrooms.
- Separate spaces. At least with the two cons I've attended, the con tends to break up into smaller groups to do things, whether it's talking, playing games, or whatever. Having hotel rooms for this gives separate spaces, and anything going on at the hotel (i.e., non-electronic gaming or chatting) would be fairly easy to move between rooms in order to check out.
- Proximity to food/activities/transportation. The hotel is in the Lakeline area, which is right next to one of Austin's major malls and a park-and-ride/commuter rail(har har) station. There's a ton of moderate-price restaurants within walking distance (i.e. Applebee's, Denny's, etc.) and a couple of fast food places not a lot farther away (there's a Wendy's that's a bit of a hike and a Chick-Fil-A that's closer, as well as a Fazoli's). The two rental houses that are the most likely subjects for a house rental are in a rather nice part of town just south of downtown, and while I haven't seen either location directly I'd be shocked if they're convenient for getting to things like that without a driver.

CONS:

- Logistics. This will likely be a bit of an issue with the rental house as well, but we'll need more drivers than just myself and Alex to get people between the hotel and my apartment (which will likely be the main gaming spot for console/PC games and large-space games like Arkham). The closest hotel I can think of to my current place is about 5 miles away along highways, so it'd be a bit too far to hike. I'll check around to see if there are any places closer, but we'd need at least one or two additional drivers to ferry folks back and forth.

EDIT: After a bit of research, it appears that the closest hotel is about 2-3 miles away:
http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ6338&propId=6338&IATA=99020571&sisearchengine=231&siproduct=6338&clearppc=1

Would be a bit on the long side for a walk (particularly in the middle of the summer here) but no more than a five minute drive.

- Large meeting area. For events where we want the entire group together (like the music quiz), we won't have a good central place to do so. I estimate that my current apartment could probably fit about 15 folks in it at once for a big group activity, but much more than that and we're approaching sardine conditions. For those that remember DLcon2 it wouldn't be nearly that cramped, as my new apartment is about half again as large as the one that hosted DLC2, but if we're in the 20+ people range for the con overall it'd still be pretty tight. I can probably make arrangements with my folks to borrow their house for an evening for something like this (which has -plenty- of space), so this isn't a -huge- hurdle, but still one to consider.

OTHER NOTES:

In regards to the mid-late June dates, this is largely for two reasons. One, Texas weather - despite DLcon2 evidence, central Texas is not generally prone to cool, rainy summers. The later in the summer we go the hotter it's going to be, and for folks not used to the heat the low-mid 90's we'll likely be seeing daily in late June will still be pretty brutal - compare this to August, where we're usually pushing or over 100 daily. Two, most (not all) of the DL no longer has school concerns to worry about, so the timing isn't quite as critical as it used to be.

It's looking like the weekend of the 23rd-26th is the favored option so far.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:51:46 PM by Halbarad »

Taishyr

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »

CONS:

- Logistics. This will likely be a bit of an issue with the rental house as well, but we'll need more drivers than just myself and Alex to get people between the hotel and my apartment (which will likely be the main gaming spot for console/PC games and large-space games like Arkham). The closest hotel I can think of to my current place is about 5 miles away along highways, so it'd be a bit too far to hike. I'll check around to see if there are any places closer, but we'd need at least one or two additional drivers to ferry folks back and forth.

Is this a challenge? I think this is a challenge.

Idun

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »
I wonder if someone is renting a timeshare? I'd love to have full access to a kitchen.

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »
If we do a rental house, that usually means exactly what you'd expect from a house - normally you get a full kitchen with one. My apartment's also got a fairly decent kitchen, so either option would mean you'd have access to one.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
I should be able to come.  Dates don't really matter for me as far as I know.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 07:26:06 PM »
I should be able to make it this time barring crazy unforeseen crap coming up.  I'm fine with either a rental house or a hotel.  If we do a hotel, keep in mind I've got a AAA membership so if the hotel has a discount for those I can save us a little money.  Assuming they don't give a group discount, anyway.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 09:47:19 PM »
OTHER NOTES:

In regards to the mid-late June dates, this is largely for two reasons. One, Texas weather - despite DLcon2 evidence, central Texas is not generally prone to cool, rainy summers. The later in the summer we go the hotter it's going to be, and for folks not used to the heat the low-mid 90's we'll likely be seeing daily in late June will still be pretty brutal - compare this to August, where we're usually pushing or over 100 daily. Two, most (not all) of the DL no longer has school concerns to worry about, so the timing isn't quite as critical as it used to be.

As someone who frequently lives through this and is just starting to go into that territory in the first month of Summer (if it ever stops raining...), you really do want to take this into account.  If you are used to living in cooler relaxing climates the temperatures being described here are a big fat DO NOT WANT.

Also note that Logistics being a negative is always a big negative in the DL.  When in large groups we tend to act like a herd of cats.  Not that I am particularly adverse to the hotel idea, just getting people to get their shit together will take cajoling and the business end of a pair of shit kickers.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »
Also as someone who has seen both the size of Hal's new apartment and the size of DLcon last year... I'm in favor of getting a house, unless the clubhouse at his apartments is really big and cheaply rentable.  The group's just too large now, and trying to split things between an apartment and a hotel that isn't literally across the street is kinda mrf.  (Especially for me, since I suspect Hal won't want to leave his apartment unattended for long, which means I'd be doing the bulk of the ferrying.  >_>)

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 10:42:45 PM »
Part of the reason I'm not as concerned the logistics aspect is that I strongly suspect it'll be an issue whether we're in a rental house or in hotel+apartment arrangement. My place has a pretty awesome setup for gaming at this point, so I would imagine there'll be some desire to have some of it take place there anyway (since at least two people will be staying with me). The rental houses I've been looking at are a hell of a lot longer commute, too, so if we end up split there it's a lot less convenient to switch between locations.

It'll partly depend on how many people confirm they're coming this time as well, and on whether we're planning on any group activities out and about (like karaoke or live music or bowling or game shop crashing, etc.)

Alex: Given how close the LQ I found is, I wouldn't have a problem making trips back and forth, as it's literally five minutes away. Just wouldn't spend much time at the hotel aside from pickups and dropoffs is all.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »
Clearly Hal is afraid of me gnawing off his cupboard or something.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....