Author Topic: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition  (Read 18911 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
Gref: thanks for the laugh man, I needed that.

Yeah, friend from another gaming site, guy I played Pathfinder with for a year+ , game just wrapped up, we were gonna have a get together next weekend about what we should do for the next game...and then this. I just...don't even have words. I don't know what to think, what to feel, what I could have done, what was even there for me to do. Dude left his roommate/best bro to clean up his shit, left messages for everyone along the lines of "thanks for putting up with me for so long" and I just...

don't

fucking

know

k;jhasfkjhSDF;HDSFAASDF;KL

I'm gonna try and be there for those left behind who were closer to him then me. It's all I can do, all I can think to do. I can't tell whether I'm so depressed about this that it's pissing me off, or if I'm so pissed off about this it's depressing me.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
I am so sorry. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help, even it's just something to do to distract you for a little while.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:05 AM »
It never makes sense (even when it was the most logical thing in the world).  There is no secret to handling it and I am sure you are well aware that both of these responder natural ones.  Keep on keeping on and you will return to a rest state.

Be there for those that knew him if you can, have others be there for you if you need it.

To break the standard script a bit, the best way I have ever found to face death is to go be alive. 

Edit - Gods I sound like a twat.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:57:00 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 01:49:44 AM »
Edit - Gods I sound like a twat.

This is nothing new or unusual.

But yeah, just...living is pretty much what I do. Exist from day to day, inertia on down the line. Curiosity is my driving character trait, it ensures that I at least will never exit the game early of my own volition. Wish I could share that persistent nagging desire to know what's next with the people who need it, but...well, not really something that can be done.

Ash: I'll prolly take you up on that next week or the week after. Assuming the wednesday gaming is a thing that still happens, that is.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 02:48:21 AM »
We game Saturdays. You're still welcome to join! We drive up from below the Peninsula so it's not out of the way to swing by.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »
Gate: Let me know when you want to head up. Most weekends, we leave around 11am, and get home around 2am. We can adjust as necessary!

--

Had a good interview with Education.com. They pretty much want to do the rest of the interviews (with the high-level exec that likes to oversee all hires) as perfunctory  meetings. Still no conversation about compensation which is just as well becaaaaaause...

My coworker just put in her 2 weeks' notice.

She's the only other one that works in my specialty, which means I am now the sole person responsible for those duties in the department. There is literally no one left who can do what we do. We have yet to back-fill any vacated positions, so it's not likely we'll hire another person to fill the role.

Time to renegotiate that 5% raise, eh?

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 06:58:49 AM »
Damn, dude, that's terrible. Best of luck with the grieving process. Wish there was something I could do to make it easier.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
Zenny: Thanks, man.

I'm...slowly coming around to some sense of equilibrium about things again. Little shit like going on the Pathfinder SRD(he was the GM for the PF game I was in) still risks sending me into a crying fit, but I'm able to pull myself out of it and function enough. This will probably smooth out into Ye Olde Standarde depression episode, but I know how to weather those by now.

Ash: Yeah, def. looks like time to push for a bigger raise. And...not this weekend, but maybe the 1st(that's a Saturday, right?). And 11-2 is fine.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
*random hugs Gate and peeps*

Cats next door (two tabbies) have decided my house is their house. I don't feed them or anything but they still think my house is their house~

I forgot to close the window the other day and when I came down from bed in the morning, cat had been sleeping on the couch ;o
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »
Sometimes keeping routines helps you get through the day. I'm glad you're still doing Pathfinder, even though it's hard, and I hope the depression you're expecting passes quickly. If there's more we can do than just bringing you along for games, please don't hesitate to ask. I think you still have my phone number, but I'll send it over again just in case.

Also, Feb 1st is a day we'll have to go early. I have to get my hairs did up there; I think we tend to leave around 9am, meaning we can swing by your place around 9:30 or so. It may be 10 or 10:30, I dunno, my calendar isn't accessible at the moment.

--

CT: I love kitties who adopt their own homes! We had one of those when I was still living in Texas, and he ambled off on his own a day or two before we moved. Cute kitty. He had a moustache. :3

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
Even 9:30 is fine, I'm up by 7-7:30 most days. Even weekends, sadly.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 01:30:58 AM »
I thiiink my appointment's at 11am, so we should be there around 10, 10:30ish. I'll know for sure on Thursday or so (when they send me a confirmation email).

EDIT: Past me is apparently smarter than present me: it's on my personal calendar for 11. So yes, we'll be by around 10, 10:30ish on Saturday if you're still up for it.

--

Went to w00tstock. The savvy stalkers in the audience will remember that I went to w00tstock in lieu of ComicCon (fucking ticket drama! maybe I can get those from my employer this year...). It was glorious, especially because it opened with Neil Gaiman coming onto stage to say "George R R Martin is not your bitch" in response to Paul & Storm's "Write Like the Wind", and George R R Martin smashed their guitar. Also, Wil Wheaton tells hilarious stories with an aww factor. The greatest of these was Spicy Dick Milk.

Anyway, when Patrick Rothfuss Facebook'd that he'd be in SF on Monday, and oh by the way he was co-MC of w00tstock, I immediately went and bought tickets.

That was so worth it. My only regret is that I did not realize it was part of Sketchfest, which means I missed the chance to see Tenacious D perform, and also to see the Farewell Futurama event.

I'm still debating whether to go see Rothfuss in the city tomorrow evening. I'd like to, but living in South Bay makes that a $10, walk in a shady neighborhood alone at night kind of affair. I should decide tonight. I do enjoy seeing him in person, and he's a really funny guy, and I don't have his latest "for kids" book...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:27:16 AM by Lady Door »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 03:19:23 AM »
Just found out that the funeral is on Saturday the 1st. So, uh, another week I suppose.

I'm hoping after then...I can get back to some semblance of normalcy and stop being so mindsearingly ANGRY all the time. Was kinda funny seeing the rest of the gaming group yesterday, and how differently we're all dealing with it. One can't figure out if he's still in denial or shot straight through to acceptance, one is still breaking down crying at the drop of a hat, another is outwardly fine but waaaaaaay more quiet then usual. And then there's me having to stop myself from punching walls and breaking out into loud swearing streaks.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
Another week.

I hope the funeral gives you some small sense of closure.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
Same.

So my grandparents. Grandmother finally got a date for the first of her knee ops (10th Feb), since she had a heart condition as well, and various other issues she had to go through a lot of tests and retests. Papa ... he's really not doing good at all. The hospital took him off the anti depressants he'd been on years and years, the really strong ones from the past where you had to watch out for cheese and things. Upshot is no, he's not taking as many night terrors as before, downside is demons are there more during the day. He seems really depressed. All the major signs, not eating, too much sleeping, not moving, not washing. Taking major motivation from my nana/family to do anything really. Nana is stressing out/worried about this. Papa is to go for three weeks respite care when nana is in the hospital. Guess he is worried about that too. I hope they feel better soon :(
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 06:20:14 AM »
New job title: Editor-in-Chief.

Bring me pictures! Pictures of Spider-Man!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 06:51:46 AM »
Time to grow that mo and get a buzz cut.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 07:21:50 AM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 09:49:19 AM »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 11:51:38 PM »
I love you guys.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »
Congratulations on the job Rob~

Went to audiology on Friday. Had hearing test done which I haven't had done for a couple of years. I get them done every so often. Still more or less completely deaf in right ear (90%+~) but main thing is my hearing has also went down in my left ear again. Concerning since there was a drop in the left the last time I had the test done as well. This time another drop, definitely noticable. I am to get a new/stronger hearing aid for it. Also to get special plugs for swimming/shower (I get infections if water 'n stuff gets inside my right ear), so at least I will be able to go swimming more (haven't been for a while actually). Yaay.

Audiologist was kind of baffled as to why the hearing loss in left ear but thinks it might be something to do w/th my squint/lazy eye/poor vision in left eye and balance/co-ordination issues/etc. She asked if I had any learning disabilities diagnosed and I said no but that w/th hind sight mum thinks some form of dyspraxia was involved. I was p clumsy when younger/child, lots of falling, bad hand eye co-ordination, dropping things, difficulty holding a pen/writing, difficulty with cutlery, tying shoelaces, etc. I remember getting extra homework/lesson time/etc for handwriting since I was bad at it -_- Also had some physiotherapy. I don't think they had a name for dyspraxia back then though. I mean at first we thought the balance/etc was to do with the mastoid problems I had in my right ear/etc but yeah. I don't know how this works in relation to my left ear but apparently audiologist thinks all these other factors/possible dyspraxia might explain it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:19:39 PM by Clear Tranquil »

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »
Decided to finally post some DLCon-era pictures -- this is just the group that went to Disneyland last year. I, uh, apparently did not take any pictures whatsoever of the Con itself. I blame it on the rage.

I will also post ComicCon pictures, but I imagine those'll be less interesting to y'all than the darling faces of Soppy, CK, Grefter, DJ, Snow, Andy, Meeple, and VSM. As photographer, I reserve my right to stay right the fuck out of those pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101142868574078.1073741826.6705554&type=1&l=4baf4e13a9

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »
My nana came through theatre/her knee op ok today and is now in the ward recovering~

I will get to see her later this week hopefully and also going to see my papa who is away on respite (and who said to mum when she visited him today that he wanted to get his coat and go home >_>)

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 02:37:32 AM »
Glad to hear your nana came through alright. I hope her recovery is swift. :)

My grandfather pulled the "Hey, let's go home now!" card every. single. time. we visited him in hospice. It was one of those things that managed to make me smile and remember the grandfather that had spent his life as an officer of the military, always had somewhere to go and something to do, and lived with conviction. Much better memory than the reality of why he was in hospice in the first place.

Not to get morbid or anything. :p Point is, love those moments!

--

ETA: So stressed out, still. This is week 2 of my trial-by-fire dive into being the sole person in charge of UA for my company. With end of the month wrap-up, tracking, new creatives, managing affiliates, scheduling calls with new partners, reviewing IOs and invoices, reporting to management and production, attending SO MANY MEETINGS, handling both things for PC and mobile, coordinating with the EU teams, creating tickets for designers to create emails for me, creating lists for said emails, sending said emails, reporting on the success of such emails, training other people to help me with simple reports, and writing up documentation so I might actually get vacation some day, I am mentally exhausted. And always behind.

Feeling the pressure of everything being a class A emergency is really messing with my head, especially given the number of things that keep getting pushed to the bottom of the list in terms of priority that are still "#1 priorities".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:59:23 PM by Lady Door »

Idun

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 05:59:03 AM »
tl;dr:

coursework. will be done with coursework in the fall. orals in the spring. abd spring 2015.
sensorial experiences, weekly therapy, twerking for my doctorate. mandingo mayhem 2014 coming to austin, fuck yeah reserved table get it right.