RPG Debate > RPGDL Discussion

Bravely Default stat topic ideas

(1/23) > >>

Pyro:
For those who have played it, what do you think about the following issues regarding a stat topic of Bravely Default: Where The Fairy Flies.

1. Job stat topic (where the PCs are Monk/White Mage/Black Mage/Knight/etc...) or PC-specific stat topic (Tiz/Agnes/Ringabel/Edea)? The former is the same as FF5's job stat topic or the FFT/XF generic stat topics. The latter would involve allowing some kind of jobs... probably the ones that the PCs are 'advertised' as upon obtaining a new job.

2. Normal or Hard mode stat topic. This affects PCs because it impacts the relative value of defense (Hard mode makes high-def PCs less tanky, for example). Obviously it has a pretty huge impact on bosses.

3. Norende village. An optional minigame that unlocks equips and special moves. Getting far in this minigame involves connecting to the internet and leaving your DS in Sleep Mode rather than shutting it off when not in use.

4. Endgame Level. Job Levels are easy enough to max, but the the actual level the game is beaten at will vary depending on when the game is beaten and how much, if any, grinding is done. Endgame level will affect damage scales due to varying PC attack stats but constant enemy defense stats.

5. The usable form of certain bosses will be in question, along with some boss' actions in combat that may be construed as not usable by them in a 'legal' battle.

Use spoiler size font as appropriate.

Dark Holy Elf:
1. I'd be fine with either. Job stat topic is a must I think. The PC interp is interesting and I've certainly toyed with it myself (it's a less opaque, more plot-reinforced version of the similar FF5 interp) but I'll be surprised if that ends up as a majority view, whereas the jobs are a definite that anyone can get behind voting on, I'd think.

2. In general I'm of the opinion that the stat topic should go with the version which most people play. Do a poll? I kinda assume the answer is Normal Mode, but I'm a HM player as a data point.

3. I will not consider Norende myself. Call me a traditionalist but it'll be a cold day in Gurgu Volcano before I start considering anything that requires online as DL-legal, and even the sleep mode thing bugs me a fair bit. Even if I end up in a minority I would be very appreciative of a non-Norende version (and/or once the mechanics are understood I can probably do it myself... mechanics seemed fairly straightforward aside from the way Job Level affects damage/swings?).

4. I'm in chapter 3. <.<

5. Oh man there are probably major spoilers associated with this aren't there. (Please use spoiler code, anyone talking about this!)

SnowFire:
As a comment from someone who's barely started (beat the very first boss battle and have the first two jobs), I'd just like to note that BD PCs are a bit weird, and may or may not end up with an important interp split.  Notably, the Brave / Default system (unless it dramatically shifts later on, which I doubt) makes the whole cast similar to Trails in the Sky (100 CP interp) - they can surge out 4x their normal damage any time they want (and sometimes better!).  If a 3 turn damage average is used, that makes the cast really good at slaughtering frail PCs and have problems vs. tanks.  (Although their own durability boost from stocking Default turns vs. tanks will help, of course.)  They're also champs at evading HP limits (which is also true to in-game, and useful, from Jo'ou's comments in WGAYP).

I personally have no particular problem with this, even with the side-effects.  I think rewarding tankiness occasionally is good, as it often doesn't matter as much in the DL as it does in-game (but in the DL, status / buffs renders tankiness moot often).  Of course, there's a way around this - ban Brave & Default.  Presto, damage averages look more like a vanilla game.  I really don't like that, though, as I'm generally in favor of allowing basic cast commands like that.  That said, some voters don't allow RH characters Switch, so this is potentially a similar case.  It would also lead to some weirdness in that I'd argue that bosses using Brave should be pretty unquestionably legal - they do it to you in-game - which would further incline me to allow it for the PCs.

Anyway, the hijinks in the DL the PC cast can pull off with sudden Brave surges strike me as likely to be accurate to the in-game feel, so I'd personally be in favor of baking the stat topic around that assumption.  That said, whoever does the work gets to decide, and maybe there's craziness later that would cause me to change my mind.  Just throwing out my 2 cents based off the all-Freelancer early game stat topic.

(Also, as a data point, I'm doing Hard mode as well.)

Pyro:
Totally should have asked a question 0.

0: How should Brave and Default be taken into averages? A 3-turn where the casts stacks up a 4 turn recharge after that 3rd turn?

It is kind of silly if no turn averaging is done at all since quad-acting KOs most things in that case. But a straight 3-turn means each the kill point is 2x what it would otherwise be, serving as a brutal penalty vs. bosses.

Other options include a 4 or 5 turn damage average.

Dark Holy Elf:
It's a brutal penalty vs. bosses and a brutal bonus against the fragile (average turn 1 damage from BD one-shots anyone with less than 80% durability). Kinda inevitable I think, just use a 3-turn average or you inflate the cast's frontloaded damage even more. You can only avoid this by banning Brave entirely, I think.

But banning Brave is problematic because you have some characters (Valkyrie for instance) who rely on it BP to do things. If you allow those BP skills but not Brave that's a ridiculous boon to those classes (e.g. Judgement, which costs 2 BP to do 3x damage). If you ban those skills you are crippling those classes.

I guess my inclination for now is to allow Brave to alleviate the above problem (and for the reasons Snowfire gave, it does let the cast do some things which are true to in-game) but not Default, or at least not the damage-reduction side of it, because it's ridiculous for the cast to halve all damage until they're ready to kill as a uniform thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version