Author Topic: Welcome! DL writing FAQ in here.  (Read 1900 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Welcome! DL writing FAQ in here.
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »
We've decided to open our writing forums in an attempt to give our forum goers and voters more of a chance to help write for the DL.  I'm going to swipe Yakko's awesome FAQ and use it here.

Q: How long should a writeup be? What are other writeup standards?

400-800 characters.

If the person you're writing for has an opposite writeup up already, check that writeup and try to roughly match for length if possible. Please prepare all writeups in notepad. Microsoft word causes some formatting errors on site- if you're going to use word, turn off smart quotes. Make sure you save all writeups as well, in case there's a board crash when you're trying to post them.

Post them in this format:

Name of the person you're writing for (Vs Name of the person they're fighting against) IE:

Justin (vs Melbu Frahma)

Makes it easier to edit and keep track of writeups this way.

Q: How many should I claim?

Start with one or two favorites. If you feel more comfortable, grab them. You can always claim more if you really enjoy writing, but claiming a bunch then being able to only do a few means that other people have to scramble to cover those fights.

Q: Can I write for a person if I don't know their opponent?

Yes, but as always double check information before doing this.

Q: When are writeups due?

The day of the update. The earlier they are done, the better.

Results always have to be done that day. Typically there's a 24 hour down time with the DL (All day friday).

Q: Any standards for content in writeups?

Arena page? Your writeup shouldn't be insulting (IE 'lololol zidane sux and can't win ever') and should generally be a positive writeup in favor of the fighter for whom you are writing. Generally, try to keep it fairly clean in terms of content and swearing as well.

Results page? PG-13 basically. Be as insulting as you want here.

Q: Any tips for results page writing?

Just practice at it. Creative writing's the same as anything else, you get better the more often you do it. Every writeup you do is one less the staff has to cover, and NR in general has issues getting results page writeups. Even if you think you're bad, well, so what? Everyone has to start somewhere.

Q: I want to help edit? What are the standards there?

Correct grammar/spelling/typos. Make sure the information is accurate. If something looks off, ask chat or PM me. Also make sure the writeups are roughly equal in length within a half line of each other or so. (We edit writeups in pairs.)

Q: I've finished the writeup, now what do I do with it?

Make a new topic in this forum and post it there.  One topic per writeup please.

Q: Should Super make fun of Strago in this topic, knowing he probably won't read it?

Yes. Yes he should. *Makes fun of Strago*

Questions? Feel free to ask here or any any other topic. Everyone is welcome to grab a writeup and help- but please don't claim a writeup and just don't do it/forget about it.  DL chat is always open as well  (irc.lunarnet.org, #rpgdl) for any who need assistance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:26:28 AM by Dark Holy Elf »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...