Register

Author Topic: Social Media- who do you follow?  (Read 901 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Social Media- who do you follow?
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:47:53 AM »
Most people use social media to one degree or the other. What I'm asking here isn't what you use it for, but rather a few people you follow on social media that entertain you/etc. I'm avoiding friends/etc, more people I follow that I don't know closely.

The Popehat nexus: Twitter.com/Popehat & twitter.com/nonwhitehat & twitter.com/dprk_News- Ran by a couple of lawyers (One a lefty, one a righty) who are united by their support for the 1st amendment. They recently split into two different accounts, but I'm treating them as one for this. DPRK news is a NK parody news feed and it's hilarious, especially for it's much deserved shitting on noted idiot Piers Morgan.

Marbozir: youtube.com/marbozir: Polish guy who LPs strategy games (Civ, Xcom) on youtube. He updates constantly and does a good job making extremely hard games look very easy. He's pretty funny as well, which is something you need when the RNG gods screw you over in strat games.

Ariel Burgess: facebook.com/artistarielb: Artist who did the wheel of time cards. She is tremendously talented and very good at interacting with her followers.  Her main focus is WoT though she does other things now.

Sean Davis: twitter.com/seanmdav Conservative blogger and cofounder of the federalist. He's far more conservative than I am, but he's also hilarious and frequently tees off on things that annoy me.  he's also at the same 'screw all of these losers' point I am at with politics so that helps.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Social Media- who do you follow?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:39:16 AM »
Er, I don't really "follow" anyone unless you count occasionally reading Wonderella's twitter.  Oh and this channel on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/fluidicbeats

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:42:46 AM »
What's social media?

This is crazy.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:43:15 AM »
Most of the people I follow are speedrunners. I follow a couple of other people, but most of it is silly/stupid stuff

John Oliver - I love Last Week Tonight. John's witty and he's able to bring to many boring subjects to light and talk about them in a humorous and entertaining way. The show has also done some really silly over-the-top stuff such as getting into a shit-talking fest with Jack Warner and starting their own church that it's just a real joy to watch. I follow him on both Twitter and Youtube.

Drgnkiller - So I'm a retard on the internet and I like reading stupid drama. Mainly because it reminds me of how good I have it in my life and I shouldn't complain about stuff lest I turn into some completely inane person. Those of you who are into Fighting Games might have heard of Darksydephil (DSP). If you haven't, be very glad and I advise you to stay away. The man is a walking flaming trainwreck that blames everything but himself, is extremely selfish, arrogant and a special brand of stupid. He once declared that he could smell the smoke from a fire and therefore doesn't need to fix his smoke detector. The guy I follow, Drgnkiller, mainly chronicles all the stupid shit he has said or things he has done. It's entertaining for when I'm at lunch and I want something funny/drama to read up on.

Naruke/Uematsu - You know these two! Song composers of Wild ARMS/FF respectively. I can't read a word of their tweets, but follow them regardless. Sometimes there's some cool stuff (maybe?) but it's mostly just a fan follow.

<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »
I follow some local news politicians & arts organizations, regional political organizations & arts organizations, and indie filmmakers' current films on any social media. Twitter is my main. I don't think about their background as much as I do what they put out into the ether. My most recent follows:

MOONLIGHT Movie @moonlightmov; film screening now in select cities. it's a coming of age story about a young black gay male, which I'm drawn to first by its artistic framing and second by the vile unsupportive homophobia rampant in black communities. Seeing the screening in Atlanta next weekend; I am very excited! I also like that I've been avoiding most mainstream films because I've purposefully encountered SO many different actors of different backgrounds this year that I'm glad my conversations don't end and begin with Hollywood. Mississippi Damned is another great one with a black lesbian character, Pariah is awesome, etc.

OCA: Public Art @OCAPublicArt, Atlanta's Public Arts arm; their updates are very simple, but I followed them to keep track of different creative sectors' progress so that I can keep rethinking how to ask for tailored employment positions I know would enrich their programming. Once I am ABD, I am hitting those streets.

Huck @huckmagazine, an international magazine invested in sharing all kinds of works by creatives, especially in photography and video. I follow for the pretty pictures. It's sort of hipster but the writing isn't.

Five Thirty-Eight @fivethirtyeight, for graphs.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
Moonlight is something that I've been anticipating like nothing else this year. Barry Jenkins made a movie with Wyatt Cenac a while ago that was quite good back in the day if you haven't seen it.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »
Will do! Thank you!! Medicine for Melancholy?

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 11:46:31 PM »
Yep, it's on Netflix if you have it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 02:43:45 AM »
Twitter is really the only thing I have an account for, which was for Four job Fiesta.

I follow a few comedians and podcast creators (mostly because they do jokes too).  I check it every now and then but not with much frequency.

Comedians are a pretty good get if you want to watch people workshop lines or spread around good stuff people they know come up with.  Patton Oswalt is a good start to aggregate from if you like him.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »
I have to admit, once 2017 hits, my instagram account for Remington will turn one years old. I do use social media to follow many humans behind animal accounts, from dogs to squirrels and bunnies. A few cats, too. So of the bunch, I really enjoy all the fat cats from Berlin and Dogs Who Camp (btw camping with Remy was amazeballs).

No I do not type in imaginary pet voice.

sidenote my friends kept asking why I liked so many animals on my personal account (cuteness overload in the day is fun) so it only seemed logical...