Author Topic: What Games are You Playing 2018?  (Read 35606 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are You Playing 2018?
« Reply #250 on: April 01, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
Bayonetta - So, I'm guessing Stone Awards are just the Bayonetta experience on first playthrough, I suppose? God damn that QTE by the end of Chapter 4.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 01, 2018, 11:18:43 PM »
Bayonetta - So, I'm guessing Stone Awards are just the Bayonetta experience on first playthrough, I suppose? God damn that QTE by the end of Chapter 4.

Grefter would beg to differ. 100% platinum, best player ever. Very Easy is hilarious.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 02, 2018, 01:12:33 AM »

Grefter would beg to differ. 100% platinum, best player ever. Very Easy is hilarious.

I'm getting better! Got Platinums and Golds for the first two chapters on return. I partly blame Kulshedra for this, though - love that damn whip.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 02, 2018, 02:48:23 AM »
I think I got all of one top-rated chapter in the entirety of Bayonetta, and it was a late chapter with only a boss in it. You know the one.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 02, 2018, 05:17:20 AM »
Niijima seemed potentially okay-ish, but that might just be the "Good cap, fascist cop" effect talking. Regardless, game isn't subtle and I could see this becoming grating over dozens of hours of story. We shall find out in due time.

I've only been able to play Persona 5 in very short bursts for precisely this reason.  It's definitely a good game, a damn good game even, but it feels almost too timely with respect to current events, in a way that makes it deeply uncomfortable to play.  I suspect that some payoff will eventually be forthcoming, but if it's anything like a typical Persona game then I'm probably still 30 hours away from it and the game thus far is kind of badly missing the core essence of what I play video games for (to escape from shitty reality, not remind me of it).

As social commentary though? It hits the mark right on the nose.

I haven't posted for a while, so some collected thoughts on crap I've played lately:

Super Robot Wars V

Incredibly enjoyable game, even beyond the novelty of being a licensed SRW game you can play in English.  The translation is even legitimately quite good - it's not flawless, but it's a game you could sell in US stores and not be embarrassed about the localization.  One of the better SRWs I've seen writing-wise in terms of integrating the different plots together, for sure.  The game itself is quite easy, but for SRW I consider that a net positive because it means you can use whatever units you like for character favoritism without really worrying about how good they are.  Cross Ange cast was surprisingly much more likable than I was expecting given what I knew of the show.  It managed even to not really drag so badly like SRW games often do in the endgame, which is a plus.  (Still slowed down some, but not nearly as badly as is typical.)

Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers

Not as good as V, in any respect.  The translation is functional but pretty bad.  The game itself is much harder than the usual SRW fare, which takes some getting used to, and is frankly full of mechanics that are often more annoying than fun (enemies that evade or defend against your attacks are interesting the first time, then you realize that they're nothing but padding to make everything take longer and they do it over and over and over and over again). 

The plot itself is also a clear transitional game; the main focus is on the SRW J and GC characters, with a secondary focus on Fighter Roar from the Great Battle series.  And the focus is definitely in that order; the J plot dominates the game overall, and it's executed quite a bit better than its home game.  Touya isn't a whiny prat, for one.  Calvina is initially a bit more bitchy but also mellows out a little faster and has much, much better reasons to forgive Al-Van than in J (like, for instance, the fact that in OG he actually had nothing at all to do with killing her comrades).  The Fury are given an internal faction war which mostly serves as a vehicle for making Al-Van thoroughly a sympathetic character, as opposed to the more gray character he was in J.  I can't speak for how the details of the GC plot in this game differed from their original context since I don't know GC much - the main thing I know is that the two playable Gardisordians defect much earlier in this than originally - but its protagonists are enjoyable characters.  However, their plot practically feels like filler between the J and Great Battle arcs that conveniently gave them a chance to recycle some 2nd OG assets by having the Zuvorg/Zovork/whatever have a rogue faction for the GC villains to ally with, and is wrapped up in a way that basically ensures the characters will have no future impact on the OG series plot besides being there and having a cool mech.  And all of it feels like it's essentially a filler arc to bridge the gap between Alpha 2 and Alpha 3.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:36 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel- Just beginning chapter 5. Sadly, I think giving nearly everyone large AoE damage techs + semi debilitating status kind of wrecked the in-game battle balance, which was something I had been really enjoying.
...into the nightfall.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 06, 2018, 03:30:52 AM »
Load up my lategame Star Ocean 2 file.
Dive into deep Cave of Trials to beat up Gabrie Celeste.  Chisato has an Algol and no instant death resisting equips (important even though this excludes some of the best equipment of the game).
Owlbear attacks.  I use the regular escape command.  My attack power sucks and I don't want to spend 10-15 minutes on a random.   I'm also trying to preserve Skandas for the nastier stuff and feel confident that someone will successfully run.
Owlbear smacks Chisato in the back.  Owlbear dies.
GameFAQs message board, you have failed.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
Maldita Castilla - Found this game by chance on a recommendation list, it was free so I decided to try it out.  It's basically Spanish Mythology Ghouls and Ghosts (Ghosts and Goblins?  I keep forgetting which one).  Feels more merciful than what it's based on (in large due to having three hits rather than two).  Decent weapon variety too, though sickles and flails tend to be overall better than daggers or axes?  They hid the tears on stages 1 and 5 damn well, for sure.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 15, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
Platinum: Third badge obtained. Got a little distracted by things, both outside the game and poking around the digging/minesweeper minigame. I'm enjoying the challenge. I'm not grinding more or less than I usually do in a pokemon game, and while the lack of some of the QoL improvements are missed, the game doesn't get steamrolled as easily as X and Moon. Mooooostly though because Exp Share isn't just raising the entire party? Results in a sort of Chicken and Egg really. Suppose I should just then turn the Exp Share off from now on.

Third gym mostly kicked by Chatot and Chatter, mix of other pokemon's Sp.Atk moves as well. Chatot has been fun to use, glad I did the in-game NPC trade I usually don't partake in for it. Always about doing something different. Got kinda lucky with Grotle getting a crit on Mismaigus to finish off the fight though. Coulda been dicey if that hadn't happened.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:03 AM »
Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor's Path

Extremely belated review!  It took me like 3 years from start to finish, but so it goes.

Anyway, NotMiki was mostly right: case 5 was pretty good.  Not perfect, and I dunno if it redeems the rest of the game, but I'll take it.  This is good because case 4 was awful…  surely one of my least favorite cases in the entire series.  The idea of some threat so bad that it forces Edgeworth to relinquish his prosecutor status and walk his own path is fine, but the implemtation was completely nonsensical, and the villain was horrible.  Basically Manfred von Karma if he was a complete dumbass but nobody called him on it.

Anyway, the good:

* Sebastien was pretty rad.  Da Best indeed, ends up a better Franziska type arc.

* Courtney…  well, it doesn't explain her extreme hostility to Edgeworth and inane contradictoriness earlier, nor really sell how exactly she was allegedly fighting the bad guys from the inside, but she was fine in Case 5, which was good. 

* And hey, for once, the policy of "eh let the lawyers keep the evidence, whatever" has the predictable effects.

* A few times in this case, the bad guys commit massive unforced errors, and the plot owns this, which is also something I like!  I'm fine with weird evidence left over and doing blatantly the wrong thing if you need to give the player an in, it makes more sense than the "I HAVE PLANNED EVERYTHING WITH LUDICROUS PRECISION" types that luck out by having no civilians observe their evil deeds.  (Not really sure why the real blackmailer was unable to tell the blackmail victim to do exactly the reverse of what the other would-be blackmailers wanted…)

* The mastermind was pretty cool, too.  I like the idea of a mostly indirect villain with a reasonably sympathetic cause.  As usual, Ace Attorney games insist on having them do some dumb incriminating shit directly when there was no need to, as well as some pointlessly complex tricks for no apparent gain, but whatevs. 

* Oh hey this case remembered Gumshoe exists.  (Although didn't the "hey we're the new Yatagarus now" scene already happen at the end of AAI1…?)

The bad:

* Sheesh, did some people fail their Perception checks HARD "two nights ago".  It was a freaking party at the Grand Tower that night, with the auction, the Conductor, Kay, Crane, the Prez, Courtney, the mastermind, and Lotta all there.  Complete with a gunshot and a dude getting crushed when either the mastermind decided to go for an extra bit of revenge-on-behalf-of-another, or the prez decided that he should open fire at night on suspicious balloons, also while Courtney is oblivious in the lobby or something, and there's a masked party going on a mere 2 floors below, and Lotta 1 floor below.  (And remember, Kay was awake enough to remember the Man in the Red Hood "flying" later, which was presumably AFTER the gunshot and crushing.)  That said, I'll give 'em a pass on this, it doesn't REALLY work but it's interesting I suppose.

* What's up with even more pointless amnesia?  This is some FF7-level "totally bonkers due to Mako poisoning" shit.  Why on earth not omit amnesia for the boys, omit remembering who-was-who when one kid tied the other up complete with memories of this happening, and give the Culprit an authentic motive to kill his friend Knightley?!  Just have "the police screwed up identifying Pierre Houquet's kid" to explain why Our Heroes get confused as to which kid was which.  I really don't get the dad-swap plotline they came up with.

* I'm willing to give this one a bit more of a pass because CRAZY IDENTITY SWITCHING is something that many people, including me, love, but…  the president of Zheng-Fa plot twist was half-baked.  Especially since the existing plot it replaced was perfectly fine and dramatically interesting.  The president growing bitter and estranged from his allies after a mistake that led to him getting kidnapped makes perfect sense.  (This is, incidentally, exactly what happens to Aerys Targaryen in the backstory of A Game of Thrones… he becomes a paranoid and vengeful leader after being held captive for a ransom.)  Very much an "unneeded" twist for the sake of twists.  It raises more questions than it answers…  we get the impression that family is very important in Zheng-Fa, so did the president really have no family, even extended family, who could immediately notice a swap?  How about the unnamed double's family?  Hell, how about the unnamed double's friends and coworkers?  Did he just mysteriously disappear from their life?  Also, the "evidence" to prove this even happened at all is pretty weak-ass.  A dead witness maybe said the prez was still at the embassy… at MIDNIGHT.  First off, if this was a scandalous secret liaison with a foreigner, of course the bodyguards would be covering for it by lying and claiming he wasn't off to see his sekrit son.  Second, even if they were straight-up not lying, you kinda don't expect super-specific times that late at night, when people are asleep or at the hotel bar.  This is the kind of present in other Phoenix Wrights where fine, you made your point, then opposing counsel just says "yeah but maybe that dude was mistaken" and you move on.

* While I'm loathe to ask for MORE super-badass awesome assassin action (the game thinks de Killer & Sirhan Dogen are way cooler than I do…), it's a little odd that Dogen's "disciple" is the one who takes up the mantle of vengeance (even if it somehow involves getting Jill Crane killed as well…   whatever.).  If Dogen is such a badass as to be able to wander out of prison whenever he wants and blackmail Warden Roland, and Body Double Prez / Blaise / Patricia Roland tried to KILL him presumably before even paying him…  it seems weird that he didn't bother trying to get them in trouble.  Maybe he mellowed out enough to not want revenge and kill them, but merely knowing that the president was dead should have given him enough leverage to ruin all three if he wanted, since uh they did kinda try to kill him.  (Of course, it's also wacky that Warden Roland was soooo terrified by him that she didn't dare try to murder him somehow, but whatevs, that's more of a Case 2 concern.)

* Speaking of which, I don't quite get why de Killer is that annoyed at the red-hooded man.  He withheld the fact that the president was really the body double?  Who gives a rip?  The body double IS the president now.  As best I can tell, this was a legit assassination attempt; red-hooded man really wanted the president to die for backstabbing Dogen, and he was not directly TRYING to get de Killer in trouble.  Maybe I'm misremembering Case 1.

* The game head-faked me a bit by making me assume Nicole Shields is the mastermind by having her recoil after Kay crushes the bug.  Okay sure.  But don't we learn later that the mastermind turned off the bug during that conversation…?  Did crushing it turn it back on again mysteriously?  ...whatever.

* Speaking of which.  This is a minor whine, because Edgeworth DOES properly treat it as total embarrassing nonsense, but Lotta / Nicole / Penny's insistence on seeing a fictional character is maybe a bit of a stretch even for a silly humorous game like the PW series.  This is the kind of thing a 10-year old might do where they insist they saw the Hulk in real-life.  You're in your twenties, damnit, you did not see the "real" Moozilla, he is a fictional character.

* This is also more a nitpick than a critical flaw, but…  okay so the red-hooded man lured Kay to the Grand Tower so he could set her up as a (very, very weak) suspect for whatever shit went down with Blaise, and so ensure Edgeworth, his chosen tool, would take the case and ruin Blaise.  But it seemed way too potentially deadly?  Like, it's a miracle Kay didn't just die after cracking her head after her fall.  Was the convenient amnesia fall unintentional?  (Oh well, more case 4 nonsense.)

* Also more of a nitpick, because the bad guy styling around with ludicrous counter-claims that everyone you like really did it is a PW series staple, buuuut the seeming crime of opportunity in deciding to attempt to frame John Marsh for the president's death doesn't seem to fit with the mastermind's MO, and certainly couldn't have been planned for anyway, so I guess he just likes to inject a little chaos.  Given that he did it, it was already pretty well established that even if legit, it would have been a tragic workplace safety accident that would get Global Studios sued out of business maybe, but not really incriminate a 13-year old kid.  Reminiscent of case 1-5 where the prosecution threatens to pin the crime on Ema instead even with a theory of the crime that would make it blatantly an accident, even if true.  But at least that was an evil police chief trying that; a random guy testifying "hey I totally told a 13-year old he should kill someone, but I have no evidence I did this, and I didn't really say to kill him" compared to two characters testifying "I totally heard the mastermind confess over the telephone, and you can see the cell phone call in the records" seems a little lopsided in the realm of reliability.  Like I said, go ahead and have our villain taunt Edgeworth and co., but "hey police arrest this kid" is a bit over-the-top even for PW.

Anyway, it was definitely worth a play.  Fan translation & technical localization work was pretty great, too.  Still one of the weaker series entries overall, which is a shame, because Edgeworth himself is a great character, and Kay is a solid assistant.  Just..  as Elf / NotMiki have noted, the case logic is really convoluted and zany a little too often and to too much an extreme; the cases often don't make tons of sense in retrospect if you imagine writing a side story from the villain's point of view.  And as a personal complaint, too much of the game - cases 2, 3, and 4, basically - are a Gregory Edgeworth simulator, not a Miles Edgeworth game.  I can already be a defense attorney in your other series, lemme be a prosecutor in this game.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 16, 2018, 04:41:08 AM »
(AAI2 spoilers)

Yup yup, agreed with a lot of that. I kinda like Courtney's face turn (which helps my opinion of case 4) but your criticisms about Blaise are on point. I kinda forgive the game for Blaise because it makes him NOT the final boss like I was expecting but he's definitely not great. I'm not a huge fan of case 5 for a number of reasons which you basically already went into (fake president plot baaad, John Marsh stuff bad, assassin worship bad, plus it being generally too long... but I do really like the mastermind and that goes a long way towards redeeming it). Pretty sure case 1 or 3 are my faves.

And as a personal complaint, too much of the game - cases 2, 3, and 4, basically - are a Gregory Edgeworth simulator, not a Miles Edgeworth game.  I can already be a defense attorney in your other series, lemme be a prosecutor in this game.

Funny, I was thinking about the AAIs recently and I was definitely thinking the same thing. One thing I really like about AAI is that I'm playing as Prosecutor Edgeworth, being a badass prosecutor and taking down a criminal syndicate, which is a suitably prosecutorial thing to do (if we assume prosecutors are also genius investigators, but that's fine - still less of a workload than an AA defence attorney after all). Basically, using the power of the justice system for good. For a lot of AAI2 the game instead becomes "fight the system" which is well-trodden ground in PW already and not really what I want from Edgeworth. Alba and Blaise are superficially similar villains (powerful men who believe the law can not touch them) but one works really well in the context of AAI and one feels like a reject from a PW game.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2018, 05:02:33 AM »
Agreed re: Blaise.  He does admirable duty as a fake final boss and as a catalyst for Sebastien.  On a more general note, AAI2 can be seen as a very weak PW game if your focus is on the internal logic of the cases, but if your focus is on the overarching plot, the themes it raises and wrestles with, and the cast, it's one of the strongest.  I particularly like that the ultimate antagonist gives you some legitimate stuff to think about regarding whether manipulating other people into voluntary criminal acts is something that the justice system can or should punish.  Even the direct crime can be argued as self-defense.  And AAI2 is uniquely positioned to raise that ambiguity because, since it's an investigation and not a trial, you don't find out whether a guilty verdict is ultimately rendered. (I think.  Been a while.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:14:24 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 16, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »
I think the overarching plot connecting the cases has a few too many logic problems but I agree with your final sentence for sure. I do somewhat think the game takes a bit of an easy way out by making him a murderer just like anyone else - it would have been really *interesting* if he hadn't killed anyone directly.

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
Heroes of Hammerwatch - Hey if anyone is interested in a top down dungeon crawler roguelite that is pretty well polished and supports 4 player coop (can do more with console commands) this one is worth a look.  I haven't finished it yet with anyone and the difficulty scales up pretty rapidly as you descend, but it seems well constructed/polished and is still getting patches frequently.

Its about $12 at the moment and is like 100mb.  Runs on pretty much anything.  Fun little thing I have been playing the last few days and its good enough to throw out there.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 20, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »
I Am Setsuna - Fin. Time was... about 20 hours I think? The Switch isn't as precise as previous Nintendo consoles. Final level was 39. From what I've read I get the impression this is low, but I fought everything! Didn't do all the endgame sidequests though I guess.

Good game. Definitely recommended. Could have been much better.

Let's talk gameplay first. At its core, this game is Chrono Trigger. Three PCs, ATB, easy to switch between PCs, double/triple techs are a thing, characters each have their own skillset. Not the deepest system, but not a bad thing to crib off of by any means. Like Chrono Trigger, it's too easy overall. Most randoms can be one-rounded, especially by certain too-powerful unites (but even those aren't necessary). Mind, they're just in this range where you might need to think about how to one-round them, and hey that's fun. The parallel here is Shadow Hearts: Covenent, for sure.

Bosses... largely I facerolled for most of the game. Only towards the end did I start having any trouble. Ryderrich was the only boss to kill me, with a surprising quick-assault; even fighting it again it took some thought to control properly. Everything before then was a joke, especially if you know that this game has similarities to Final Fantasy and therefore Slow and to a lesser extent Haste is super-great. I also had a bit of trouble with Eutess but won first try. Then the final battle... well, it's modeled after that of Xenogears in that you can defeat four support bosses first. I did and uh the final boss seemed like kind of a joke? I saw a lot of moves but all were some flavour of unimpressive damage.

Anyway, those specifics aside, the game takes some steps forward from Chrono Trigger, but on the whole, more back. My favourite improvement is kinda underutilised, that techs often move enemies around. This opens up a neat design space for something like Demi, which gathers enemies into a group, as well as certain high-damage AoE moves which scatter the enemies, preventing you from using further AoE moves. Also the game's pause function allows you to directly check all status effects on any PC or enemy, and since status is huge in this game (another plus!), this is nice.

The downgrades are several though. Like... AoE moves are huge in this game, but unlike Chrono Trigger, there's no visual indication of whether an enemy falls in an AoE or not. Also, many PC-side moves are AoE too... but you are given zero way to control where PCs stand beyond a very few moves with very specific effects (e.g. making a PC move next to an enemy they target). The game also suffers from a glut of pointless systems which detract a bit. Spritnite crafting is a big one. Maybe this could have been done well, but as is, significant parts of a PC's skillset can be locked behind drops which you didn't get, and the game won't tell you how to get. The spritnite crafting menu is awful, too - it gets super-cluttered, and searching for spritnite you haven't yet crated but can is very time-consuming later in the game (why not remove any spritnite you've already crafted?). The game definitely has way more skills than it needs. Singularities are pointless RNG bullshit. Fluxuations or whatever they're called are pointless RNG upgrades to skills. You don't need all these dumb layers; have faith in your solid base combat system, guys!

Item balance is also really wonk. There are three tiers of potion; the mid-potion heals all the HP you need almost to the end of the game, and hi- is overkill. Ethers are even more potent; the basic one is full for a lot of the game, and Mid was basically to the end. I never even saw the basic Tent not restore all HP/MP, but the game has Cabins too! Way too good. Lack of MT is there only downside.

But, overall it's still fun, don't get me wrong.

Writing... this game has a somber tone and by and large it nails it, I respect it for that. The game has some humour and I cracked a smile now and then but overall it's got a very melancholy tone which really sells you on the shitty setting. But there's lots of positive stories within it too, so it doesn't feel too grimdark or anything. This works.

It's one of those games where you're obviously being withheld some key mysteries. And some of the things behind those mysteries are actually pretty damn cool. My main issue is that... it really backloads them. There's a lot of key stuff you don't learn until the very last dungeon (which, incidentally, I was surprised was in fact the last dungeon). You know the lategame is going to reframe some things and it does, but as soon as this happens, you are told you can solve everything by punching this one monster in the face, you do so, and the game ends. At the same time, one or two key plot points are really underplayed. It's by design somewhat, but I'm not really a fan of the-player-should-fill-in-the-blank plot, and the game does have some.

Past that, let's talk about characters. Some spoilers from here on.

Endir: Silent main. Terrible dialog options on average, you often have to choose between "asshole" and "idiot", or perhaps some combination thereof. Silent mains shouldn't exist, and if they do they should not be this edgy. Also the most undercooked character plotwise. Endir SHOULD be at the centre of some pretty cool plot. Was he created by Samsara to either kill the sacrifice or kill him (Samsara), kinda like Fides? Seems possible! The twist that he wasn't in any previous version of this journey is neat and explains some things; do more with it! Also there's like... no resolution for his relationship with Cornelius at all? Cornelius just says "hey man let's pretend we don't know each other" and they do forever?

Gameplaywise... he's one half of the uber crowd control move, making him great in randoms. Rather underwhelming past that; a damage-dealer without much utility (I missed his most notable utility spell because IAS bullshit) and not actually that good at damage.

Setsuna: Setsuna's pretty interesting. Obviously very superficially similar to Yuna, but the personalities are very different (past a very high affinity for the main; I'm sold on Yuna's a lot more there). Setsuna has... I might even call it a martyr complex. She's not focused on her mission the way Yuna is, and often risks her own life (and therefore pilgrimmage) in order to ease any suffering she sees along the way. She wants deeply to see the best in others... and we see this both pay off (her helping to turn Fides) and not, which is neat. In a more morally simple game she'd be frustrating, but here she works. Her maybe dying in the ending is like wow, girl. I don't really buy for a moment that she had to do it, which is part of why I say she's got a martyr complex. The game's a bit ambiguous on this plot point so it could be a misread.

Gameplaywise... a bit underwhelming early on, slow and low HP and Cure is just a slight money-saver compared to items. Gets some great moves in boss fights, though; Cure 2 is MT full healing forever (WTF) and somehow Luminaire is better. I only discovered its momentum boost later but uh. That is a thing. Inspire's solid for bosses too, moreso if you aren't using Kir.

Aeterna: My favourite character; not super-deep but gets some cool plot and is a bit of a badass y'know? She feels a bit like Auron, Rose, and Citan in a blender; she knows way more about what is going on than the rest of the party and uses them to accomplish her goals. (Fortunately her goals are noble, or you'd be fucked.) I don't think she's as deep as those folks but not too far off. I'd probably have played up her manipulativeness a bit more. She also shares there penchant for dying in the ending too. Obviously ties in with Eutess who has a very key and memorable role in the story for like 10 minutes; I wish the game had expanded a bit on their relationship. While like-minded their personalities are obviously rather different.

Gameplaywise, really goddamn fast. Matters a heck of a lot for utility. In randoms she's not special though Demi is cool and the speed helps you get the drop on enemies if you don't just ambush them (you usually do). In bosses she might be the best because holy shit, Slow. Haste to a lesser extent; it's kinda balanced but it's still a functional turn-shifter. Speed to use items faster. etc. Not great at damage but not actually bad either, which to be honest she probably should have been...

Nidr: Nidr the superficial character is pretty likable. He gets some solid interactions with Kir in particular and provides his own unique voice to the team; veteran but not "hey guys I read the script". The underlying character is... I won't call him a bad character, he's actually kinda interesting/unusual, but he is a bit of a bad person! He's... really a rather big coward. Abandons his pregnant wife and child so he can... kill some monsters and maybe feel a bit less bad about his failed pilgrimmage? Duuuude. Then he realises Setsuna is his daughter and he says fuck-all about it forever; Setsuna guesses in the final dungeon that he has a connection to her and he nopes out of it even then. It's kinda funny because when you first meet him some NPCs call him a coward and you assume that'll be wrong but nope, pretty on the nose!

Gameplaywise, see Endir. Their combo is just that good. I found him a bit more useful than Endir otherwise because he hits harder generally. Diffuse is nice as well, at least on paper; I kept forgetting about and then didn't use him for the lategame bosses it might have helped against.

Kir: Definitely the game's shallowest character (silent mains notwithstanding), you... pretty much know everything there is to know about him by the time he joins. He's a pretty fun voice in the party (gets lots of lines, it felt like; he's chattier than most of the team) but he's along for the ride. I'll take that over other along-for-the-ride PCs like Red XIII who aren't fun, though.

Gameplaywise, a weird case, but decent overall. If you ambush randoms he's a very solid choice since he hits hard and hits MT. A bit fire reliant but spoilers fire is a good element in this freaking snow world. in bosses he has easily accessably debuffs on top of his good damage; Bio makes a number of physical bosses sad. But he's terrible in randoms if he doesn't get the drop since he's slooow and in general the slow/frail combo isn't a good one.

Julienne: Unlike Kir, Julienne is very important for a good while after she joins, only dropping off at the end. Her "evil" self is in hindsight one of the very good windows we have into the motivations of Samsara. Her good self actually had one of the cooler "answer some philosophical questions" sequence I can remember in a video game - even a couple times I answered wrong and thought my answer through again and realised that I agreed, I had been wrong! That said, for all that becoming a ruler is her plot arc, it's not actually clear that's really going to happen, since Floneia seemed like the only actually established political power. And she doesn't have as much as she should, on some other fronts. WHY does the game not do anything about the fact that she's the one who ordered the hit on Setsuna. That's a big deal! Underexplored relationship there for sure.

Gameplaywise... well the big problem is ice is a shit element and she's super-reliant on it. You can kinda get around it with Antipode sometimes at least, but not always and that requires Kir (might be some other unites that work). When that's not an issue she's at least quite hard-hitting and her great damage move even adds Freeze which rules. Probably overall LVP though.

Fides: Comes with his very own spoiler name, how convenient. I certainly think it's neat how he joins despite his setup as a pure monster, and he's a neat window into you-know-who which is neat. He himself there's... not much to say about though.

Gameplaywise... well I didn't actually use him. Dat availability. Seems fine on paper (good at like every stat) but you're probably going to do better, or just use PCs you like more.

I settled on the game getting a 6/10. On both gameplay and plot, it's got some nice things going, but it doesn't nail either one to the point where I can be super-happy with it. More of a plot game overall though; it was definitely nice to play one. I think of this game more fondly than it is objectively good, and I think a lot of that is that it has the best/most thought-provoking plot of any JRPG in over two years; I was due for one. Definitely recommended for many DLers though.

Maybe.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2018, 01:40:54 AM »
Fan convention gaming area edition:

Arcade games I've not touched in ages as a one-shot deal:

Turtles in Time

The SNES version is probably more familiar to most but there are features of the arcade version I like better.  So when I saw the cab for the first time in forever, played a single credit.  It's so glorious being able to use specials without losing life.  Raph may not be the best choice for this  (Mike and Don seem to be best for spamming)  but personal favoritism.  Got to stage 2 on my 2 lives which I suppose is decent for an arcade game.

Marvel vs Capcom

Haven't played fighting games in forever.  This was one of the ones I had more experience with but the only reason I wasn't destroyed by human opponents was that all the really good players have moved on or play elsewhere.  Completely forgetting about some special moves is funnier to hear about than to experience.  I kind of remember some combo strings but mostly was a spazz.  Did pull off the launch into Captain Sword for the first time in my life so felt good about that.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2018, 04:29:50 AM »
Suikoden III - After a variety of interruptions, I finally finished my third playthrough of Suikoden III. I decided to choose Geddoe as the Flame Champ, which has an interesting effect on the story, more than I was expecting. You have a main character who, fundamentally, resonates with Luc’s path to insanity much more directly, having also lived with the weight of immortality for many years. I think playing as Geddoe makes Luc a more interesting character, actually, which I was not expecting! Geddoe himself takes a little more initiative than in the other paths but is otherwise fairly static and consistent from the other stories, but he is infused with more justice.

It continues to be a wonderful game with a lot of great ideas and so much potential to be better, if the creators had chosen to go that path with subsequent games. Alas. The gameplay is hands-down the most interesting and tactical of the series, and I would have loved to see more of it in a future game with more transparency in the battle system to make it more fun.

I think the game has good plot writing with a likeable cast of characters, but I think the game falls short of its predecessor in plot, just in terms of the execution of its themes and the resonance of the player with the conflict of the end of the game. I feel like a lot of the interesting set up of the plot with the Grasslands vs. the Zexens is somewhat forgotten about by the game later, laser focusing on Luc as the villain instead. I think Luc is fine but he has a game-warping effect which I don’t consider necessarily desirable.

I still love Albert. He is such a magnificent dickbag. He probably gets his eyebrows waxed.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »
The Flame Champ vs. Luc conversation in limbo played out much better when I used Geddoe instead of Chris. Geddoe pretty much just verbally bitchslaps Luc in a way you don't otherwise see him deal with people anywhere else in the game, which makes sense for reasons cited above. My recollection of Chris vs. Luc, by comparison, was two people talking around each other without ever connecting on anything. (I never ran Flame Champ Hugo because Hugo bores me.)

I would have no trouble hyping S3 combat as the best in the series if the pair system wasn't there. You have more customization options than any other game in the series, which is cool, but then you can only command half your team per turn in battle. Why?! It doesn't ruin the game for me anything (I think I still consider it the best in the series), but I still wonder what they were thinking there.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2018, 06:06:39 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was really wonderful to see Luc vs. Geddoe. I agree with you about the pairs, but it's not like any of the other games in the series have stunning combat or anything.

Fire Emblem Warriors - Just got Leo. This game's plot is so so bad. But you can play as adorable Elise, so I am happy. :D

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 24, 2018, 03:55:10 AM »
Bayonetta - Up to Chapter 6. Grace and Glory, you jackasses. Also, the Jeanne fights are a complete joy.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age: Started playing this.  It is a stellar HD remake, game looks great, and easy-to-toggle 2x/4x speed makes combat waaaaaay better.  Will talk about actual content later.  For now, just gonna say the opening sections of the game feel way more Star Wars-y than I remember.  In a good way.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2018, 06:41:20 AM »
Elf: Interesting comments on I Am Setsuna.  Also, this has caused me to notice that GameFAQs has been forcibly "upgrading" FAQs to their new format which inexplicably makes FAQs useless and impossible to read by removing the "view as one page" option...   WTF.  I guess I need to resubmit with fewer subsections or the like, as this is dumb, I prefer HTML format but routinely want to load large portions of a FAQ on my phone and be able to scroll without reloading the page if I'm underground in a subway or the like.  Ugh.

The endgame sidequests are okay, but most are still ultimately kinda easy with the exception of a few superbosses that wipe the floor with an MT OHKO if you don't have the right elemental defense Spritnite set up.

Items:
Yeah, items kinda really good, at least if you're not getting massively status'd out or dealing with a rare big MT damage enemy.  They're really efficient, Mid-Ether means that resource limitation isn't a thing by halfway through the game.

Endir-Aeterna:
Mentioned this in chat, but while I think your interp is cool, grounded in the story, and hope it was intended, it's also likely there was a dash of this kind of thing being a flattery thing tossed on to make the silent main important.  Granted, it's a potentially COOL kind of thing to go "hey you matter", at least.

The world & Julienne:
I kinda assumed when I was playing the game at first that the world we see is just a small subset of the entire world.  Then the small number of countries + the fact that everything is buried in snow isn't a big deal, this is just the snowy backwater with the ancient lost empire that probably trades for a lot of stuff off-screen.  Of course, this kind of goes out the window once you can fly around and see that the terrain wraps on the edges, so I guess they're growing enough food somehow to support everyone?!  Sure.  But yeah, makes it a little more obvious that Julienne is a queen without a country, which is awkward.

Setsuna's martyr complex:
My main complaint about this one is that I don't really get why Setsuna had to die in the end.  I get that the Sacrifices were being used so that Eutess could power up and magic vamp them or something, so I'd get it if she died that way.  But...  she doesn't.  I don't see how either hitting Samsara really hard OR convincing him to chill out or some combination requires her death.  So it just felt arbitrary to me.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel- Just entered the final dungeon. Final boss fights of Chapter 6 were fantastic, but I'm completely baffled about the swing in difficulty. The game started out with decent general difficulty, became a complete snooze-fest midgame (partially due to poor overlapping move design, partially because the game just starts allowing you start AoE OHKOing randoms before they get a turn and then regain all the resources expended), and then throws in some absurd bosses right at the end when previous bosses were so bad that some of them only did damage once. V and C both made me employ a variety of tactics to get through the battles (wiped twice to C, V overkilled 3 PCs at once with his S-Craft). Made the mistake of putting in Angelica, who just didn't bring much against either (even trying to faint C wasn't too successful, but could have been random luck). Alisa would been a better choice, but her panic-button Master Quartz had been completely useless up to that point.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2018, 06:59:04 AM »
On GameFAQs: yeah agreed with the complaints there.

On the world: Didn't the snow chronicles mention a mainland? So we definitely didn't see the whole world (also the airship map doesn't wrap around unlike Final Fantasy, unless I'm going crazy - I remember a "you can't fly past here" line instead). Dunno how much trade goes on though.

Setsuna stuff:
My take on it is that it may not have been required but she wanted to do it anyway, that she had spent so much time mentally preparing to be a sacrifice that she all but insisted on it. Which... is kinda dark and I'm not certain it's what the writers intended, but it's my read anyway. There's definitely some deliberate ambiguity in the ending.

On the note of weird ending ambiguity, you can choose whether to kill Setsuna or not but it has no effect on the part of the ending with Endir wandering through the forest then a ghost(?) of Setsuna appearing. Not sure how to interpret that (or if it deserves interpretation).

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
Elf: Okay, I'm happy that my memory is wrong!  Or rather that my older memory is right that there IS a mainland.  That's something at least.

Dhyer: Yeah, your experience matches mine.  The early game is hard, the midgame is a snoozefest, then the difficulty perks back up again in C6.  Nosferatu / V / C are all perfectly legit fights.  S is a complete joke but I guess they can't all be winners.

As a warning, if you go onto Trails of Cold Steel II, the difficulty falls off a good deal - you can probably safely increase whatever level you're on a rank and still have an easier experience.  (I did Cold Steel I on Hard, CS2 on Nightmare, and CS1 Hard was more difficult.).

---
Zero Time Dilemma
Finished this earlier this week.  It was very good!  Maybe not quite as good as VLR, and the tone can be a bit jarring, but it's still great stuff.

Unfortunately, as such a plot-heavy game, it's also nearly impossible to talk about.  Doubly so since it's such a direct sequel.  You can play Virtue's Last Reward as a first game and it's fine, but ZTD is definitely a direct follow-up to VLR, so would be really nonsensical to play first.  It also deals about as artfully as it can with the fact that VLR may have arguably set up "too much" info about ZTD; Zero Time Dilemma could easily have included, like, almost the entire Virtue's Last Reward cast if it wanted to, but that'd be super-constraining with no room for new characters if they did that.  So I respect the choice they made even if meant giving a few VLR characters the short shrift (to angst on the Internet, I see).  My own personal complaint is that ZTD could have used more Phi - she was tons of fun in VLR, she's great when she's around in ZTD, there just isn't that much of her relatively speaking.

Shinji Hosoe did a pretty great soundtrack as well.  It's heavily remixes but the remixes are good and it's not like the songs played THAT much in 999 / VLR, so it's cool.  Especially fun when a tension theme is remixed to be way less tense and more sad-but-happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzNS8Ah139Y&t=0s&list=PLj-ru-1cx_tlMEbtwQ1V4-ATAkfXNHoyD&index=3 --> One of the better escape room backgrounds as an example (with the full playlist here if curious).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eWaxTNbPJk&index=40&list=PLj-ru-1cx_tlMEbtwQ1V4-ATAkfXNHoyD --> A good sad tune.  (There are a lot of these.)

Oh, another nitpick.  The game sorta lacks a "final boss" escape room?  There are 13 escape rooms as best I can tell and then it's all plot / decisions afterward.  Kinda odd they didn't find some excuse to save one room for the very end.

--
I suppose in accessible things to talk about, there's one "video game philosophy" bit that's right at the start of the game, and the director mentions this in his notes.  In your average video game, if there's multiple options, there's a certain presumption that the "best" outcome is always the "real" outcome.  If you can succeed, you do succeed.  If one path leads to the main character getting kidnapped by terrorists, and another path to getting run over by a truck, and the third path to success and marrying a rich girl and living in a palace, it's the third path that is "real."  But what about those other paths?  Maybe the one who was hit by the truck worked really hard to rehabilitate himself in the hospital, earned a medal in the paralympics, married a poor but loving wife, and died a happy grandfather.  He took the shit that life threw at him and fought through it and made the best of it.  Doesn't his story deserve to be told as well?  Doesn't he deserve his own happy ending?

It's kinda like how The Cabin in the Woods thought that some other characters deserved the spotlight for once.  Alternatively, it's a bit like a hardcore classic Fire Emblem playthrough, where if Rebecca dies due to a freak bandit splitting her skull open with an axe, the rest of the party will just have to deal with the loss and move on, rather than magically reset and pretend it didn't happen.  There's a certain honor in it with Zero Time Dilemma has as well.  There are people in bad situations that get fully explored as to what happens and how people deal with it.  I liked it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:17:59 AM by SnowFire »